No announcement yet.

Record Retailer Errors (1960-1994)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A professional, comprehensive and thorough job. I’m profoundly impressed. That the errors are spreading all over the examined parts of the decade may indicate that they can continue into the seventies. Earlier comments have disclosed less than serious charts at least for the period 70 - 72. And we don’t know about the last ten months of 62. However, after going thru’ the above one gets humble and don’t feel one can ask for more.

Comment

• Interestingly, most of the time I notice from the above that BB goes with RR. I posted this yesterday in my thread but it really is more relevant to here.

That's an excellent piece of work though chartwatcherdl.

While browsing I just came across this interesting comment by chance made by Alan Smith (ASM) in a discussion he was having on another site regarding charts back in 2003. It would appear to indicate that Alan considered the errors to be RM errors.

''Ah! I see Jeff. I have scoured other parts of that web Jeff. There is another chart page on that site. This chap has basically used the Tony Jasper "Record Mirror" lists for his data. Sadly all the "Record Mirror" mistakes as well. I have some "Record Mirrors" and their chart display page was very sloppy and mistake ridden. ASM''
      The Ultimate Averaged Chart. The Definitive Chart Reflecting The Fifties and Sixties.

Comment

• Yes, an excellent summary, thank you chartwatcherdl for putting it all together. I had no idea there where so many errors!
        http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
        Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Originally posted by Woz1234 View Post
          WE 05 October 1968
          RM RR
          25 26 I PRETEND - Des O'Connor (26 BB)
          26 25 AMERICA - Nice (25 BB)

It's Joint #26 in RM
          Corrected. Thank you. Clearly a printing error in RM as there is no number 25, and joint number 26's.

Comment

• Originally posted by chartwatcherdl View Post

Corrected. Thank you. Clearly a printing error in RM as there is no number 25, and joint number 26's.
            I've made a few of those typos myself in the UAC that thankfully guys picked up on. Although you carefully check with so many figures on the page in front of you something slips through the net from time to time.
            The Ultimate Averaged Chart. The Definitive Chart Reflecting The Fifties and Sixties.

Comment

• Where the Last Week position in either RR or RM is changed to the position that had been in the other chart, this seems to be an acknowledgement that the other chart had been correct.

Comment

• The obvious question is WHY?

Comment

• To provide a bit of context, the idea that the chart published in the respective compiler's magazine was 'definitive' was not so strong in the 60s. MM and NME provided different charts through the week. Indeed the newspaper readership (and Luxembourg listenership) of these charts vastly outnumbered that of the music magazines. So RR may not have thought it too big a deal to have corrected a position before passing to RM, and RM not bothered too much about making a transcription error.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post
                    To provide a bit of context, the idea that the chart published in the respective compiler's magazine was 'definitive' was not so strong in the 60s. MM and NME provided different charts through the week. Indeed the newspaper readership (and Luxembourg listenership) of these charts vastly outnumbered that of the music magazines. So RR may not have thought it too big a deal to have corrected a position before passing to RM, and RM not bothered too much about making a transcription error.
                    You actually make a really valid point there. By far most people got their chart info from the daily newspapers and most interestingly enough in the sixties therefore got the MM charts.
                    Millions tuned into Radio Luxembourg especially for the Sunday night chart show in the sixties and early seventies when it moved to Tuesday nights. I did as well as tuning into the station some nights as well to hear new releases and 'chartbound' sounds. I also wanted to hear what was the 'once an hour on the hour Radio Luxembourg Powerplay'. Magical times.

Comment

• A preliminary NME chart was published in some of the Sunday newspapers.
                      I remember some new Beatles singles entering the Top 10 - probably on 1 day's sales.

Comment

Working...
                      X