Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Singles Charts: 1983 (including chart panel sales)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^

'Midnight Blue' was the B-side of 'All Over The World' - just over a year after the release of 'Discovery'!

Comment

• Kewen makes a great point about nitpicking higher in the thread...there's some great writing and insight on here

Another remarkable thing about Thriller was that in the UK the second single Billie Jean rescued the album. It sold ok on release in 1982, I understand but got lost in the Christmas rush and you could even pick up a copy in 'proper' sales (not label-endorsed mass price markdowns) in high street stores in January 1983! All the subsequent singles propelled the album to new heights, changed the game.

Similarly, Angels rescued Life Thru A Lens.

Any others?

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post
        An interesting diversion though! I wonder what was the first album to have more than half its tracks released on singles (A & B sides) that all made the Top 50 within a year of issue.
        On further reflection, if we're counting B-sides too it probably is 'Parallel Lines', with 7 out of 12 by the time 'Sunday Girl' was released...

Comment

• Just to let everyone know, I'll be starting the 1984 thread tomorrow (Saturday) with the first chart, dated to week ending 14 January 1984, posted on Monday!

Comment

• Been doing a bit of adding and subtracting of the sales of the Top 500 for the year; the following comments all I think tie back to some of the speculation on this thread! And then a question at the end about the listings.

Apologies if obvious or duplicative! By my reckoning...

70 of the top 500 match exactly the sales you would get by adding all of their weeks on the chart, starred out or otherwise
            All 70 of these featured in the final listing of the year

430 would have lower sales than shown in the Top 500 if we relied on a cumulative total of their sales when they were on the list
            32 of these are explained away either
            a. by a very small number which could be pre-chart leaks, or a mistake - not enough to make the Top 200 in the week before they charted
            b. a specific week when they were overwhelmingly likely to have sold a smaller number than required to make the Top 200

Of the remaining 398
            392 could have sold a small number in the weeks after they left the chart, thus increasing the sales to the amount assigned to them in the Top 500. They also could have 'benefited' from pre-chart leaks in very small numbers

It's my hope that by looking into this further we'll be able to get an estimate of the 'long tail' of sales taht follow a record's disappearance from the chart.

6 have a marginally more complex tale.

Kissing With Confidence
            I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
            Song To The Siren
            all look like they sold in very low numbers indeed for more than 1 week before making even the Top 200

1 I've yet to investigate - I think I've made a mistake

Merry Xmas Everybody could have reasonably sold at the beginning of the year, or in very low numbers indeed for more than 1 week before re-entering the Top 200 at the end of the year. Or both.

And then...

Tour De France by Kraftwerk - I couldn't work this out, but I think it's (wrongly) listed as a remix on 1 October and 8 October. Is that right Robbie kingofskiffle?

Comment

• Originally posted by hardtogethits View Post

And then...

Tour De France by Kraftwerk - I couldn't work this out, but I think it's (wrongly) listed as a remix on 1 October and 8 October. Is that right Robbie kingofskiffle?
              'Tour De France' charts as a remix in summer 1984. Lonnie has all the chart run, back to 1983, listed as the remix as the catalogue number remains the same. I changed the original entry from being shown as a remix to the original title. I missed those two weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                'Tour De France' charts as a remix in summer 1984. Lonnie has all the chart run, back to 1983, listed as the remix as the catalogue number remains the same. I changed the original entry from being shown as a remix to the original title. I missed those two weeks.
                Thank you - I have amended the database accordingly. Took a while to work it all out!
                http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Originally posted by kingofskiffle View Post

Thank you - I have amended the database accordingly. Took a while to work it all out!
                  It doesn't help that back in those days record labels would often use the same 7" catalogue number for different versions of the same song. Usually the original and a remix. From memory 'Yah Mo Be There' has the same catalogue number for its 1985 remix as it does for the 1984 original though you do have the correct title for the 1984 original issue listed over in the 1984 thread.

Comment

• Will the 1st and 8th October lists be fixed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kewen View Post
                      Will the 1st and 8th October lists be fixed?
                      Yes, I just did. I know Robbie sometimes has issues doing so.
                      http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Thanks Robbie and Lonnie for these posts!! Loved looking through 1983 and currently 1984.A very very interesting thread.With UK Singles Charts,Hit Music and ,Mr Tibbs UAC posts.i am loving them all.Thanks again guys and keep up the excellent work!! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by eurofandave View Post
                          Thanks Robbie and Lonnie for these posts!! Loved looking through 1983 and currently 1984.A very very interesting thread.With UK Singles Charts,Hit Music and ,Mr Tibbs UAC posts.i am loving them all.Thanks again guys and keep up the excellent work!! :-)
                          Hello Dave, long time no see! I've not seen you at either here, Haven or DigitalSpy for a good couple of years. Though I've largely given up posting in the Top Of The Pops thread at DS as I hardly watch the repeats these days.

Comment

Hello Dave, long time no see! I've not seen you at either here, Haven or DigitalSpy for a good couple of years. Though I've largely given up posting in the Top Of The Pops thread at DS as I hardly watch the repeats these days.
                            Hi Robbie :-) I have been more of a viewer than a poster on here and Haven.As for Digital Spy i have not been on there for about 6 years.I stopped posting on TOTP thread during the 1982 re-runs..

Comment

Hi Robbie :-) I have been more of a viewer than a poster on here and Haven.As for Digital Spy i have not been on there for about 6 years.I stopped posting on TOTP thread during the 1982 re-runs..
                              I didn't realise it was as long as 6 years since you last posted at DigitalSpy! I more or less gave up on the reruns around 1985/86 as that is the end of "my years" for music which was always roughly the mid 70s to mid 80s.

Do you stilll subscribe to Music Week? As you probably know the weekly editions ended at the end of 2020 and in their place is a glossy monthly magazine that is an expensive waste of time. I haven't been a subscriber since mid 2019 though I still do get to see the Chart Pack and monthly magazine. I'm glad I'm not paying for it any longer as at something like £11.99 an issue it's certainly not worth it.

Comment

I didn't realise it was as long as 6 years since you last posted at DigitalSpy! I more or less gave up on the reruns around 1985/86 as that is the end of "my years" for music which was always roughly the mid 70s to mid 80s.

Do you stilll subscribe to Music Week? As you probably know the weekly editions ended at the end of 2020 and in their place is a glossy monthly magazine that is an expensive waste of time. I haven't been a subscriber since mid 2019 though I still do get to see the Chart Pack and monthly magazine. I'm glad I'm not paying for it any longer as at something like £11.99 an issue it's certainly not worth it.
                                Yes i still do subscribe to Music Week as that's the only way i can still get the Chart Pack but i agree with you it is really expensive.As for the TOTP re-runs,i stopped watching them on a regular basis around the same time as you and there were more episodes being skipped for one reason or another.

Comment

Thanks Robbie and Lonnie for these posts!! Loved looking through 1983 and currently 1984.A very very interesting thread.With UK Singles Charts,Hit Music and ,Mr Tibbs UAC posts.i am loving them all.Thanks again guys and keep up the excellent work!! :-)
                                  Thanks Dave for this mention. Much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoy all these threads and the contributors concerned.
                                  The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Way It Was Meant To Be

Comment

• EUROPEAN ACTS

92 1 So Close To Me Julio Iglesias
                                    133 NE 1 Anna - Letmein Letmeout Trio
                                    167 NE 1 Garden Party Mezzoforte
                                    35 NE 1 Rock The Boat Forrest
                                    170 NE 1 Words F.R. David
                                    142 NE 1 I'm Specialized In You Time Bandits
                                    174 NE 1 Miracles Future World Orchestra
                                    126 NE 1 Hey! Julio Iglesias
                                    196 NE 1 The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore Peter Hofmann
                                    106 NE 1 Let It Out Blue Feather
                                    89 NE 1 Si La Vie Est Cadeau Corinne Hermès
                                    118 NE 1 Julie Daniel [Popović]
                                    131 NE 1 Together We're Strong Mireille Mathieu & Patrick Duffy
                                    149 NE 1 Singin' In The Rain Taco
                                    69 NE 1 Feel The Need In Me Forrest
                                    117 NE 1 Love Isn't Love Carola
                                    83 NE 1 The Heat Is On Agnetha Faltskog
                                    189 NE 1 I Love You Yello
                                    83 NE 1 Rockall Mezzoforte
                                    129 NE 1 Music F.R. David
                                    93 NE 1 Malibu Beach Hanoi Rocks
                                    137 NE 1 Here We'll Stay Frida
                                    125 NE 1 Forever And Ever (And Ever) Julio Iglesias
                                    41 NE 1 Tour De France Kraftwerk
                                    84 NE 1 Wrap Your Arms Around Me Agnetha Fältskog
                                    188 NE 1 Comment Ça Va (English Version) The Shorts
                                    123 NE 1 Stars On 45 presents The Star Sisters Stars On 45
                                    177 NE 1 Jay Duck's Theme Jay Duck & J.D. Revolution
                                    85 NE 1 Dolce Vita (Part I - Vocal) Ryan Paris
                                    128 NE 1 Vamos A La Playa Righeira
                                    144 NE 1 I Need You F.R. David
                                    155 NE 1 Incubus Succubus II X Mal Deutschland
                                    114 NE 1 I Want You (Vocal Version) Gary Low
                                    197 NE 1 I Like Chopin Gazebo
                                    102 NE 1 Can't Shake Loose Agnetha Fältskog
                                    193 NE 1 Lover To Lover Joe Yellow
                                    102 NE 1 Lost Again Yello
                                    64 NE 1 Thank You For The Music Abba
                                    69 NE 1 Superstition/Good Times Club House
                                    101 NE 1 Time Frida / B.A. Robertson

OTHER CHARTS

US-2 41 51 4 Gloria Laura Branigan
                                    US-13 112 1 Shadows Of The Night Pat Benatar
                                    NL-19 126 1 Old And Wise The Alan Parsons Project
                                    US-8 178 11 Rock The Casbah The Clash
                                    US-7 78 1 One On One Daryl Hall & John Oates
                                    AUS-3 81 1 Shiny Shiny Haysi Fantayzee
                                    IRE-7 87 1 Christian China Crisis
                                    IRE-4 US-6 111 1 Come Dancing The Kinks
                                    US-3 147 1 Dirty Laundry Don Henley
                                    US-44 DANCE-1 192 1 1999 Prince
                                    IRE-2 23 NE 1 New Years Day U2
                                    US-7 114 NE 1 You And I Eddie Rabbitt with Crystal Gayle
                                    US-19 125 NE 1 Hand To Hold On To John Cougar
                                    GER-5 155 NE 1 Hey Little Girl Icehouse
                                    US-31 169 NE 1 My Kind Of Lady Supertramp
                                    US-4 70 NE 1 You Are Lionel Richie
                                    US-17 80 NE 1 Fall In Love With Me Earth, Wind & Fire
                                    US-18 95 NE 1 (I've Got A) Rock And Roll Heart Eric Clapton
                                    NL-40 109 NE 1 Hangin' Chic
                                    US-18 117 NE 1 Baby, Come To Me Patti Austin & James Ingram
                                    IRE-29 154 NE 1 My Old Country Home Brendan Shine
                                    US-37 164 NE 1 I Knew You When Linda Ronstadt
                                    DANCE-44-165 NE 1 Takin' It Straight Cori Josias
                                    US-12 69 NE 1 Photograph Def Leppard
                                    US-12 72 NE 1 All Right Christopher Cross
                                    COVER / US-2-122NE 1 Shame On The Moon Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
                                    US-29 159 NE 1 On The Wings Of Love Jeffrey Osborne
                                    US-58 169 NE 1 Come Give Your Love To Me Janet Jackson
                                    NZ-10 41 NE 1 Communication Spandau Ballet
                                    cover US-6-56 NE 1 We've Got Tonight Kenny Rogers And Sheena Easton
                                    US-33 100 NE 1 Never Too Much Luther Vandross
                                    NL-47 132 NE 1 New Frontier Donald Fagen
                                    US-30 175 NE 1 Make Believe Toto
                                    NZ-2 US-11-196 NE 1 The Other Guy Little River Band
                                    NL-1 196 NE 1 Goodnight Saigon Billy Joel
                                    IRE-11 37 NE 1 Genetic Engineering Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
                                    IRE-7 40 NE 1 She Means Nothing To Me Phil Everly / Cliff Richard
                                    GER-29 41 NE 1 Waves Blancmange
                                    AUS-6 70 NE 1 Drop The Pilot Joan Armatrading
                                    NZ-9 112 NE 1 Perfect The The
                                    POL-1 62 NE 1 Midnight Summer Dream (Special Single Mix) The Stranglers
                                    IRE-8, NL-5-126 NE 1 Orchard Road Leo Sayer
                                    US-10 136 NE 1 Twilight Zone Golden Earring
                                    CA-18 162 NE 1 Mexican Radio Wall Of Voodoo
                                    PT- 97 NE 1 Eyes Of Ice Scarlet Party
                                    US-8 102 NE 1 Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) Journey
                                    US-18 74 NE 1 Breaking Us In Two Joe Jackson
                                    IRE-18 68 NE 1 Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away Phil Collins with The Martyn Ford Orchestra
                                    AUS-10 144 NE 1 Words Missing Persons
                                    IT-1 153 NE 1 I Didn't Know Ph.D.
                                    US-3 156 RE 11 Stray Cat Strut Stray Cats
                                    NL-10 91 NE 1 Johnny B. Goode Peter Tosh
                                    US-38 103 NE 1 Tied Up Olivia Newton-John
                                    NZ-17 114 NE 1 Doot-Doot Freur
                                    US-3 121 NE 1 Mr. Roboto Styx
                                    SE-6 139 NE 1 Midnight Blue Midnight Blue (A Project With) Louise Tucker
                                    IRE-2 24 NE 1 Two Hearts Beat As One U2
                                    NZ-39 76 NE 1 My Jamaican Guy Grace Jones
                                    US-2 77 NE 1 Rosanna Toto
                                    GER-26 103 NE 1 Crazy Music Ottawan
                                    US-3 55 NE 1 Overkill Men At Work
                                    IRE-28 59 NE 1 Telegraph Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
                                    US-12 73 NE 1 Even Now Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
                                    US-6 95 NE 1 Little Red Corvette (Edit) Prince
                                    US-64 107 NE 1 You Are In My System The System
                                    US-33 161 NE 1 No Time For Talk Christopher Cross
                                    US-2 193 NE 1 Jeopardy Greg Kihn Band
                                    COVER-IRE-4-37 NE 1 True Love Ways Cliff Richard With The London Philharmonic Orchestra
                                    US-5 116 NE 1 My Love Lionel Richie
                                    IRE-7 54 NE 1 War Party (Bajan Remix) Eddy Grant
                                    GER-28 71 NE 1 Street Café Icehouse
                                    US-7 119 NE 1 Solitaire Laura Branigan
                                    US-21 195 NE 1 Change Of Heart Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
                                    cover US-6-67 NE 1 Family Man Daryl Hall & John Oates
                                    NOR-9 89 NE 1 Faster Than The Speed Of Night Bonnie Tyler
                                    GER- 150 NE 1 Juliet Robin Gibb
                                    US-20 164 NE 1 Saved By Zero The Fixx
                                    DANCE3 28 NE 1 Blind Vision Blancmange
                                    IRE-13 136 NE 1 Mornin' Jarreau
                                    GER-4 194 NE 1 Passion The Flirts
                                    US-45 59 NE 1 Juicy Fruit Mtume
                                    AUS-20 130 NE 1 (I Love It When You) Call Me Names Joan Armatrading
                                    PT-10 136 NE 1 The Right To Sing John Miles
                                    US-10 146 NE 1 She's A Beauty The Tubes
                                    ost/ US-25-169 NE 1 It Might Be You (Theme From 'Tootsie') Stephen Bishop
                                    IRE-7 57 NE 1 Lady Love Me (One More Time) George Benson
                                    CH-5 73 NE 1 Just A Day Away Barclay James Harvest
                                    ire-17 45 NE 1 Bring Me Closer Altered Images
                                    ire-17 58 NE 1 The Kids Are Back Twisted Sister
                                    BE-23 106 NE 1 Banging The Boogie Rene & Angela
                                    BE-6 113 NE 1 So Many Men, So Little Time Miquel Brown
                                    IT-17 175 NE 1 Looking At Midnight Imagination
                                    SWE-7 189 NE 1 I Can Hear Your Heartbeat Chris Rea
                                    BEL-28 64 NE 1 Drifting Sheila Walsh And Cliff Richard
                                    US-10 148 NE 1 Straight From The Heart Bryan Adams
                                    US-6 73 NE 1 Don't Let It End Styx
                                    IRE-13 59 NE 1 Have You Ever Seen The Rain? Bonnie Tyler
                                    IRE-22 61 NE 1 Transfer Affection A Flock Of Seagulls
                                    US-6 108 NE 1 It's A Mistake Men At Work
                                    GER-21 136 NE 1 Waiting For Another Chance Endgames
                                    US-8 NZ-2-145 NE 1 Always Something There To Remind Me Naked Eyes
                                    US-4 153 NE 1 Never Gonna Let You Go Sergio Mendes featuring Joe Pizzulo & Leza Miller
                                    AUS-5 89 NE 1 Great Southern Land / Uniform Icehouse
                                    US-63 128 NE 1 Trouble In Paradise Al Jarreau
                                    US-5 102 NE 1 She Blinded Me With Science Thomas Dolby
                                    NL-7 124 NE 1 Feel The Love (Oomachasaooma) 10cc
                                    US-5 130 NE 1 Stand Back Stevie Nicks
                                    US-85 147 NE 1 Dancing In The Shadows After The Fire
                                    IRE-1 14 NE 1 Wrapped Around Your Finger The Police
                                    US-11 132 NE 1 Hot Girls In Love Loverboy
                                    POL-19 49 NE 1 Paradise The Stranglers
                                    US-13 144 NE 1 Lawyers In Love Jackson Browne
                                    US-9 NZ-5-187 NE 1 Burning Down The House Talking Heads
                                    US-10 49 NE 1 Don't Cry Asia
                                    US-5 181 NE 1 Cum On Feel The Noize Quiet Riot
                                    ire-25 62 NE 1 You Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll Twisted Sister
                                    US-3 137 NE 1 The Safety Dance Men Without Hats
                                    NO-9 36 NE 1 Never Say Die (Give A Little Bit More) Cliff Richard
                                    US-28 80 NE 1 Dr Heckyll And Mr. Jive Men At Work
                                    US-23 132 NE 1 After The Fall Journey
                                    IRE-3 191 NE 1 This Is Not A Love Song PIL
                                    GER-1 NZ-1-27 NE 1 Come Back And Stay (Single Remix Version) Paul Young
                                    IRE-10 28 NE 1 Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry (Part One) Heaven 17
                                    GER-3 102 NE 1 Shadow On The Wall Mike Oldfield And Roger Chapman
                                    NL-13 113 NE 1 Can't Stop Running… Space Monkey
                                    US-15 132 NE 1 Cuts Like A Knife Bryan Adams
                                    US-11 180 NE 1 Promises, Promises Naked Eyes
                                    US-44 100 NE 1 One Thing Leads To Another The Fixx
                                    US-44 114 NE 1 How Can I Refuse Heart
                                    US-58 116 NE 1 Fight Fire With Fire Kansas
                                    US-44 178 NE 1 Puttin' On the Ritz Taco
                                    CAN-18 94 NE 1 Sitting At The Wheel The Moody Blues
                                    US-2 120 NE 1 Making Love Out Of Nothing At All Air Supply
                                    IRE-29 66 NE 1 Working With Fire And Steel China Crisis
                                    CH-14 64 NE 1 Till I Can't Take No More Eddy Grant
                                    IRE-19 73 NE 1 Guns For Hire AC/DC
                                    US-5 147 NE 1 Twist Of Fate Olivia Newton-John
                                    IRE-13 25 NE 1 That Was Then But This Is Now ABC
                                    IT-14 66 NE 1 New Dimension Imagination
                                    NL-4 21 NE 1 Undercover Of The Night The Rolling Stones
                                    US-6 48 NE 1 That's All! Genesis
                                    IRE-1 NL-1-17 NE 1 Love Of The Common People (Remix) Paul Young
                                    US-8 55 NE 1 Let The Music Play Shannon
                                    US-13 AUS-5-147 NE 1 Why Me? Irene Cara
                                    NZ-1 25 NE 1 Waterfront Simple Minds
                                    IRE-4 34 NE 1 Please Don't Fall In Love Cliff Richard
                                    DANCE-16-43 NE 1 That's Love, That It Is Blancmange
                                    US-42 44 NE 1 Strip Adam Ant
                                    US-9 174 NE 1 Crumblin' Down John Cougar Mellencamp
                                    GER-1 154 NE 1 Send Me An Angel Real Life
                                    US-8 195 NE 1 Heart And Soul Huey Lewis And The News
                                    GER-1 150 NE 1 Juliet Robin Gibb

COVERS

126 1 Soul Makossa Nairobi
                                    187 1 Let's Dance The Rockolas featuring Mike Read
                                    159 1 Pal Of My Cradle Days Ann Williamson
                                    189 1 (The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up Roni Griffiths
                                    55 NE 1 Nature Boy Central Line
                                    132 NE 1 Pal Of My Cradle Days Ann Breen
                                    198 NE 1 Everything I Own Crystal Gayle
                                    107 NE 1 Love Of The Common People Paul Young & The Family
                                    179 NE 1 Nellie The Elephant The Toy Dolls
                                    116 NE 1 Am I Normal? David
                                    122 NE 1 Shame On The Moon Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
                                    56 NE 1 We've Got Tonight Kenny Rogers And Sheena Easton
                                    160 NE 1 Tiger Shakin' Stevens And The Sunsets
                                    187 NE 1 She's Not There Panic
                                    40 NE 1 Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye Bananarama
                                    137 NE 1 Africa (Dub Mix) Key Of Dreams
                                    175 NE 1 Pal Of My Cradle Days Valerie Dunbar
                                    199 NE 1 Der Kommissar After The Fire
                                    96 NE 1 Breakaway Tracey Ullman
                                    104 NE 1 Je T'Aime (Moi Non Plus) Vicious Pink Phenomena
                                    176 NE 1 Memory Barbra Streisand
                                    184 NE 1 Words The Tremeloes
                                    86 NE 1 White Rabbit The Damned
                                    93 NE 1 You Are In My System Robert Palmer
                                    151 NE 1 Midnight Blue Pete Knarren
                                    51 NE 1 Twist (Round 'N' Round) Chill Fac-Torr
                                    190 NE 1 My Guy Mary Wells
                                    37 NE 1 True Love Ways Cliff Richard With The London Philharmonic Orchestra
                                    31 NE 1 Our Lips Are Sealed The Fun Boy Three
                                    67 NE 1 Family Man Daryl Hall & John Oates
                                    168 NE 1 Under My Thumb Fast Radio
                                    137 NE 1 Watch Your Step Carlos Santana
                                    97 NE 1 Forget Him Billy Fury
                                    85 NE 1 Lonely Nights Uriah Heep
                                    158 NE 1 Glad To Know You Kitty Grant
                                    88 NE 1 Memory (Theme From The Musical 'Cats') Menage
                                    129 NE 1 Jailhouse Rock Abrasive Wheels
                                    46 NE 1 Feel Like Makin' Love George Benson
                                    29 NE 1 Do It Again / Billie Jean Club House
                                    100 NE 1 I Just Can't Help Believing Boys Town Gang
                                    158 NE 1 Superman (Gioca Jouer) Black Lace
                                    144 NE 1 Love Me Tender Julie Andrews & Johnny Cash
                                    192 NE 1 Night And Day Everything But The Girl
                                    85 NE 1 Riders On The Storm Annabel Lamb
                                    187 NE 1 Under The Boardwalk (Edit.) Rickie Lee Jones
                                    122 NE 1 Straight From The Heart Bonnie Tyler
                                    88 NE 1 The Shadow Of Your Smile (Love Theme From 'The Sandpiper') D Train
                                    128 NE 1 Vamos A La Playa The Miamis featuring Lou
                                    69 NE 1 They Don't Know Tracey Ullman
                                    172 NE 1 The Twilight Zone Rusty Egan
                                    17 NE 1 Dear Prudence Siouxsie And The Banshees
                                    111 NE 1 Dancing The Night Away Cheap Trick
                                    112 NE 1 Until You Come Back To Me Leo Sayer
                                    129 NE 1 A Whiter Shade Of Pale O'Chi Brown
                                    136 NE 1 Song To The Siren This Mortal Coil
                                    157 NE 1 Love Letters Joe Walsh
                                    182 NE 1 Feelings Richard Clayderman
                                    158 NE 1 Dancing With Myself Billy Idol featuring Gen X
                                    119 NE 1 Going Home (Theme From 'Local Hero') The Shadows
                                    124 RE 2 The Loco-Motion Paula Ann Bland
                                    118 NE 1 La Bamba Antonia
                                    21 NE 1 Move Over Darling Tracey Ullman
                                    131 NE 1 Gloria (Edit.) The Doors
                                    159 NE 1 Give Me The Night (Medley) Mirage featuring Roy Gayle
                                    57 NE 1 A Rockin Good Way Shaky & Bonnie
                                    46 NE 1 The Harder They Come Rocker's Revenge featuring Donnie Calvin

TV

67 53 10 Theme From Harry's Game Clannad
                                    122 1 Gis A Job Yosser's Gang
                                    158 1 Gis' A Job The Blackstuff Lads
                                    155 NE 1 Unknown Stuntman Lee Majors
                                    176 NE 1 The Cleopatras Nick Bicât
                                    56 NE 1 Snot Rap Kenny Everett
                                    112 NE 1 Nora Batty's Stockings Compo And Nora Batty (Bill Owen and Kathy Staff), Ronnie Hazelhurst and His Music
                                    136 NE 1 Brontosaurus Will You Wait For Me David Bellamy
                                    117 NE 1 Mary's Theme Francis Shaw And The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
                                    149 NE 1 Coronation St. The I-Royals
                                    195 RE 13 Chi Mai (Theme From the TV Series The Life And Times Of David Lloyd George) Ennio Morricone
                                    128 NE 1 Kenny The Kangaroo Ralph McTell
                                    125 NE 1 La Serenissima (Theme From Venice In Peril) Rondo Veneziano
                                    161 NE 1 The Dark Side Of The Sun (The Main Theme) Stavros Xarhakos
                                    135 NE 1 Love Theme From "The Winds Of War" Mike Morton Orchestra
                                    184 NE 1 Theme From 'Taxi' (Angela) Bob James
                                    105 NE 1 Star Fleet Brian May & Friends
                                    103 NE 1 Kenny The Kangaroo Michael Barrymore, Arranged and Conducted by Gerry Butler
                                    133 NE 1 The Theme From Terrahawks Richard Harvey
                                    77 NE 1 That's Livin' Alright Joe Fagin

OST

24 34 4 Theme From E.T. (The Extra-Terrestrial) Conducted by John Williams
                                    41 1 Up Where We Belong Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes
                                    56 NE 1 Going Home: Theme Of The Local Hero Mark Knopfler
                                    174 NE 1 The Boys In Blue Cannon & Ball
                                    169 NE 1 It Might Be You (Theme From 'Tootsie') Stephen Bishop
                                    146 NE 1 All Time High Rita Coolidge, Arranged & Conducted by John Barry
                                    175 NE 1 Your Eyes Cook Da Books
                                    30 NE 1 Flashdance.....What A Feeling Irene Cara
                                    98 NE 1 Theme From Doctor Detroit Devo
                                    112 NE 1 Galaxy Song Monty Python
                                    82 NE 1 Maniac (Vocal) Michael Sembello
                                    103 NE 1 Far From Over Frank Stallone
                                    163 NE 1 Lady, Lady, Lady Joe Esposito

SAMPLES, FUTURE HITS

184 1 Love Is Just The Great Pretender Animal Nightlife --- 1985 (28)
                                    72 NE 1 Reach Up Toney Lee --- Phats And S
                                    110 NE 1 Money's Too Tight (To Mention) (Vocal) Valentine Brothers --- Simply Red
                                    154 NE 1 Shattered Glass Ellie Warren --- Laura Branigan
                                    146 NE 1 Gimme All Your Lovin' (edit.) ZZ Top --
                                    101 NE 1 It's A Fine Day Jane ---
                                    59 NE 1 Get Down Saturday Night Oliver Cheatham ---
                                    175 NE 1 For The Same Man B Beat Girls --- Josh Wink Get Ready
                                    184 NE 1 Hot-Hot-Hot Arrow ---
                                    137 NE 1 Living On Video Trans-X ---
                                    196 NE 1 I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me Nik Kershaw --- 1984
                                    55 NE 1 Let The Music Play Shannon --- 1984
                                    108 NE 1 I Am What I Am Gloria Gaynor --- 1984 (13)

REISSUES

76 1 I Honestly Love You Olivia Newton-John
                                    96 1 Out On The Floor (Original Version) Dobie Gray
                                    192 1 I Will Always Love You Dolly Parton
                                    67 1 Silver Machine Hawkwind
                                    133 1 Shipbuilding Robert Wyatt
                                    170 1 Music / Slow Down John Miles
                                    157 NE 1 Empire State Human / Only After Dark Human League
                                    191 NE 1 Out On The Floor Dobie Gray
                                    128 NE 1 Halfway To Paradise Billy Fury
                                    139 NE 1 You Can't Hurry Love Diana Ross & The Supremes
                                    158 NE 1 He Was Really Saying Somethin' The Velvelettes
                                    194 NE 1 You Really Got Me The Kinks
                                    194 NE 1 Hawkwind And Co - Your Last Chance Various Artists - Flicknife
                                    147 NE 1 Living On The Front Line / Do You Feel My Love? Eddy Grant
                                    200 NE 1 Homosapien Pete Shelley
                                    119 NE 1 How High The Moon Les Paul & Mary Ford
                                    147 NE 1 (It's Not Me) Talking A Flock Of Seagulls
                                    191 NE 1 You'll Never Walk Alone Gerry & The Pacemakers
                                    200 NE 1 What Judy Street
                                    106 NE 1 Take The Money And Run (Live) The Steve Miller Band
                                    112 NE 1 I Travel Simple Minds
                                    189 NE 1 We'll Burn Our Bridges Behind Us Dionne Warwicke
                                    105 NE 1 In The Streets Prince Charles & The City Beat Band
                                    109 NE 1 Because The Night Patti Smith
                                    169 NE 1 You Are So Beautiful Joe Cocker
                                    89 NE 1 Anarchy In The U.K. Sex Pistols
                                    95 NE 1 Space Oddity David Bowie
                                    100 NE 1 The Jean Genie David Bowie
                                    102 NE 1 Knock On Wood David Bowie
                                    103 NE 1 Rebel Rebel David Bowie
                                    104 NE 1 Life On Mars? David Bowie
                                    106 NE 1 Sorrow David Bowie
                                    110 NE 1 Drive-In Saturday David Bowie
                                    117 NE 1 Young Americans David Bowie
                                    120 NE 1 Sound And Vision David Bowie
                                    120 NE 1 John, I'm Only Dancing David Bowie
                                    123 NE 1 Heroes David Bowie
                                    127 NE 1 Fame David Bowie
                                    128 NE 1 TVC15 David Bowie
                                    130 NE 1 Golden Years David Bowie
                                    139 NE 1 Rock 'N' Roll Suicide David Bowie
                                    143 NE 1 Diamond Dogs David Bowie
                                    156 NE 1 Breaking Glass David Bowie
                                    164 NE 1 Be My Wife David Bowie
                                    164 NE 1 Beauty And The Beast David Bowie
                                    185 NE 1 D.J. David Bowie
                                    139 NE 1 Gary Gilmore's Eyes The Adverts
                                    175 NE 1 I Get The Sweetest Feeling Jackie Wilson
                                    100 NE 1 Happy (Love Theme From 'Lady Sings The Blues') Michael Jackson
                                    134 NE 1 Have You Seen Her? The Chi-Lites
                                    150 NE 1 Love Hurts The Q Tips featuring Paul Young
                                    127 NE 1 Soul Makossa Manu Dibango
                                    120 NE 1 Reet Petite (The Sweetest Girl in Town) Jackie Wilson
                                    196 NE 1 Tainted Love Gloria Jones
                                    110 NE 1 Down Among The Dead Men Flash And The Pan
                                    169 NE 1 The Equals The Equals
                                    52 NE 1 The Singles 1981 To 1983 Bauhaus
                                    127 NE 1 Sue Instrumentals Various Artists - Sue
                                    132 NE 1 Ike & Tina Turner's Sue Sessions Ike & Tina Turner
                                    137 NE 1 The Sue Soul Brothers Various Artists - Sue
                                    148 NE 1 Motorway City Hawkwind
                                    121 NE 1 True Love Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly with Johnny Green Conducting The MGM Studio Orchestra
                                    100 NE 1 Uncertain Smile The The
                                    122 NE 1 My Christmas Prayer Billy Fury
                                    185 NE 1 Morning Has Broken Cat Stevens
                                    162 NE 1 Got Live If You Want It! The Rolling Stones
                                    165 NE 1 Five By Five The Rolling Stones
                                    169 NE 1 The Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones

(....)

Comment

• How interesting.I saw in 19 03 1983 chart LGT with Too long(peak #128).This is the famous Hungarian rock band Locomotiv GT(probably the first HUN act in UK charts).

Comment

• Some hits mentioned as New Entry in january 1983 Top 200 charts actually debuted in UK chart november and december '82 in positions 76-100.
                                        For example Carioca by Blue Rondo was #76 hit in the end of 1982.

Comment

• Originally posted by miro1234 View Post
                                          Some hits mentioned as New Entry in january 1983 Top 200 charts actually debuted in UK chart november and december '82 in positions 76-100.
                                          For example Carioca by Blue Rondo was #76 hit in the end of 1982.
                                          Sub-top 75 placings from 1982 aren't official. I think this may be an example of when kingofskiffle was inputting the "Bubbling Under" records into his database and allocated them positions 76-100 despite the fact that they were originally listed alphabetically by then compiler BMRB rather than numerically.

BMRB did in fact compile a top 200 weekly chart from May 1978 but they didn't make the chart available even to record companies. Instead each label would be informed of the positions of its own releases which were placed between 76-200.

Comment

• Thanks for this details,Robbie.Pity.It would be interesting to look outside the top75 in the 70s.

Comment

• Originally posted by miro1234 View Post
                                              Thanks for this details,Robbie.Pity.It would be interesting to look outside the top75 in the 70s.
                                              I'm not even sure if the top 100 / 200 charts that BMRB compiled exist any more given that the top 100/200 list never made it out of the BMRB office in Ealing, London. The BPI don't have any in their library. Alan Jones did have some of them as record labels used to tell him the positions of their records and he did compile a 76-100 list more than once in 1980. For example see http://scans.chartarchive.org/UK/198...s%20Albums.jpg. I wonder if he still has them all?

The 1970s charts did have a longer list of breakers for a while (1973 to July 1975 if I recall) and these are listed in a thread in ukmix along with panel sales. They are basically the next 25 records once recent ex top 50 records are removed.

When the chart was extended to a top 75 in May 1978 it was obvious that once records on the way down were stripped out all that remained from numbers 51 to 75 were around 10 records which would presumably have been the top 10 breakers were the chart still a top 50. Adding in a longer list of breakers would probably fill out half of numbers 51 to 100 with the rest being recent ex top 50 hits.

Comment

Working...
                                              X