Database Walkthrough - A Zoom Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Walkthrough - A Zoom Call

I had an idea to do something on a zoom call or similar showcasing the database and how it works and how one can be put together. A couple of people suggested they would be interested in seeing this and so I start this topic as a way to gauge interest in the idea.

Finding a suitable time is a tricky thing, but I would be happy to do something one evening for an hour (UK time - as I appreciate some of you are all over the world!) and would describe the database I have etc.

Let’s start with the poll above and if your interested then post below what you would like to see. I am unlikely to cover everything and be advised that this will not be a ‘sharing of my data’ exercise - nor will I share the database shell itself as it is very much bespoke to me (Others on here have databases suck as Database Dreams Chart Tracker which are available).

I have never done anything like this before and it may not work well at all! But….
    Yes, I want to watch live
    17.39%
    Yes, I want to watch a recording
    69.57%
    No, this is a silly idea!
    4.35%
    I like answering polls and will press this option
    8.70%

The poll is expired.

http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

MickJav Just wanted to tag Mick in here as for those who want a database he has one on his website.
    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

Thanks kingofskiffle I would be happy to help anybody interested in creating they own dB or of course CTE 2525 users, I have created a number of power user systems linked to main system.

There are a number of resources available free here: https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/support/index.php

Comment

Voted: I'd like to watch a recording or even just some screenshots as a pointer to how it is all done.

Comment

Although I voted for live I'm happy with a recording as an alternative option.
          The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Biggest Chart Of The Time

Comment

Don't know if it would help but I have access to a interactive system for up to 10 people so Would be more that willing work on some sessions material?

Also if anybody would like to see what goes into Building a chart system you can keep track of what I'm doing or have done with my project management system here: https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/sup...ndex;project=3

Comment

Terrific idea, although as someone almost completely clueless as to the technical backing for databases and their construction, even an entry-level run-through would probably be beyond my capacity of ready understanding! Nevertheless, like Robbie, I'd still be interested to see a presentation of how these things work in the hope it may demystify some aspects of the dark arts of data assembly and management, and regardless of how much of the IT stuff we actually assimilate, it'd also give us all an insight into just what is involved and how much work people like Lonnie and Mick are prepared to put into such systems, ultimately for the potential benefit of everyone who has an interest in the charts and accesses this forum.

Comment

Okay - lets then now add some more info below - what do you want to know about in such a video? ANd please be specific if you know. I’ll do some basic stuff about design and getting going but if there is anything else…

Comment

I'll put together a few videos on basic table structure plus simple relationships for those who don't feel they would be able to contruct there own system then I would suggest using Chart Tracker Elite 2525 you will need ms office/Access but you'll need it to create your own dB

The 32 and 64 bit versions are available here: https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/sup...ownloads;cat=8

Comment

There are free options, you don't need access to make a database.

Comment

I'm with Gambo. If you don't know databases, the first time field or table is mentioned, you've lost the watcher.

I would keep it simple and it not be a lesson, show maybe how a song gets entered. Make it by a new artist to show that as well. Maybe finish up with showing how to get an artist list of songs or some other simple list. Maybe talk a bit about generally what is in the database, probably everyone would gather it has songs and albums but any unique things that people not think about. And maybe the time put into the project. Both how long and how many hours regularly. That will provide newbies with a wake up call and realize it isn't a simple over morning coffee chore,

I think that would do for starters, depending on the reaction, one could then start a tutorial series,

Comment

Originally posted by Kewen View Post
                        There are free options, you don't need access to make a database.
                        Please post some links so I can look at them thanks mick

Comment

I've put together a simple Chart Starter system Table design ERD.
                          NOTE: The current version of CTE 2525 used by myself & BoroButch includes around 150 Tables and is designed to handle millions of entries.
                          I will cover each table including what each field is for plus the data expected Etc, I will start creating the below in some utube videos should anybody be intested.

You can download the editable version of this ERD here: https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/sup...;sa=view&id=54 you will need a copy of draw.io Which is free and available here: https://www.diagrams.net/

ERD updated 15th May 2022

Last edited by MickJav; Sun May 15, 2022, 11:26.

Comment

I will start building the chart system tomorrow and will be creating Utube videos for each part making at as simple as possible.

The two links below will be of interest as I will be uploading images and videos to the linked topics in my project management system Here:
                            https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/sup...dex;project=10

Also once the tables have been built I will be using the code I Am Adding to my Coded library you will be able to follow and use the code below "I will explain what each function is for all you will need do is copy and past were I tell you to "
                            https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/sup...tion=showcases

By the time we are finished you will have a system you can expand on I will continue to offer free help.

I should be starting tomorrow 14th May 2022 after I post my UK Charts Analysis

Comment

I'll wait for kingofskiffle it was his thread,

I don't think having two different directions and video links all mixed together is going to help. It's confusing and this will already be hard enough for new people,
                              Last edited by Kewen; Sat May 14, 2022, 04:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Kewen View Post
                                I'll wait for kingofskiffle it was his thread,

I don't think having two different directions and video links all mixed together is going to help. It's confusing and this will already be hard enough for new people,
                                I for one welcome the input from both Lonnie and Mick on this subject as they both have valuable knowledge and experience in this area. UKMix is all about discussing and sharing as a community.
                                The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Biggest Chart Of The Time

Comment

It's not about input. It's about cutting down noise and confusion, they can each do their own threads, just like we don't mix uk charts and us charts.

this stuff is already worse than a foreign language to many people. Having competing ways to enter data all mixed in the same thread is a nightmare. Was that a text file,d or a number field, wait which one said to do it which way again...
                                  Last edited by Kewen; Sat May 14, 2022, 07:01.

Comment

Kewen Between kingofskiffle and myself we have over 60 years of working with chart Data I know lonnie helps out here every day with good advice and his vast knowledge of music and charts, I for one would not disregard anything he suggests, and over the years we have helped each other out.

As for myself I have been designing Databases since 1995 these include Access/VBA and MYSQL/ PHP plus have taught database principles and have the recourses to help here.

Comment

Kewen I personally don't think having two sources of info is a bad thing. I am self taught on Access and all I learnt is from looking at others work and googling and amending. My first database design was 2003 and it is interesting to see how others do things (For example Mick has a way of getting the RIAA awards which I have not yet worked out how to do!) So a lot can be gleaned from looking at different approaches.

I do agree about ensuring there is no confusion - but in this case I don't think there will be. I think data entry is important, but we are both going to provide the same basic structure and then it's up to the individual to decide on how to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofskiffle View Post
                                        Kewen For example Mick has a way of getting the RIAA awards which I have not yet worked out how to do!
                                        I will cover how you can do that & The brit Awards also Plus how you can link create links to web pages but that will be once all the tables Etc have been covered which I intend to do in as simpler way as possible.

please note the above are complex but I will set things so you will have the information to do it when you need it.

Comment

Guess this really is a good idea. My situation is that before this happened I bought about 2000 albums 1966 - 1995 of my favourite music plus other hits. My listening habits turned decades ago to not watching but listening to music while researching charts and geography, and old habits die hard. If this had turned up 55 years ago it may well have changed my musical ways. However, I wish all you youngsters luck with the project. If I had known when young that popular music should become massively available during my time I would have invested my spare money otherwise. Then Lux was hopeless to listen to behind the Norwegian mountains and the only channel available rarely played any pop records..

Comment

Lesson 1, Create File System, Database & Recording Artists Table.

Feel free to ask any questions or should you have any problems just drop a reply

All The Best Mick

Lession 1 File Download: https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/sup...;sa=view;id=55
                                            Last edited by MickJav; Sat May 14, 2022, 15:06.

Comment

Simply trying to say any way to cut down confusion would be helpful. I'm sure that there are things you each do differently structure wise. Why mix them together and confuse people. If this thread were for experienced database users it might not be an issue, but for new people it is,

I've noticed there are currently two UK alternative airplay threads. This is a good thing. The charts are different and I have a hard time keeping straight with them separate which is which. Imagine if they were together and alternated posting,

I haven't built a database, I have managed projects that have though. So my expertise isn't on specific design, but on implementation and process, as well as getting tech people to work and speak with non tech people.

i do really think individual threads will help cut down on confusion. At least for those brand new to databases.

Comment

I have created a list of the forms needed to turn this into a working database I'll call it version 1 , Don't worry they will be kept as simple as possible and use code you will be able to copy from the code library or failing that just copy the latest lesson (I'll talk more on that when we start the forms).
                                                https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/sup...hp?topic=129.0

All the best mick

Comment

I have done a brief.. okay it's 34 minutes! ... walkthrough of my database or rather some elements of.
                                                  https://youtu.be/16L_zI5kAMk
                                                  Do let me know if you want to see more, and do please subscribe if you do.

Since I can see what Mick is doing in his videos, I've done mine as a sort of 'first step' to showcase what can be done. The viewer needs to know what they want a database to do before building one (in my opinion!) so this is designed as a bit of that showcase of what it can do.

Other viewpoints are valid of course, and please do let me know your comments.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X