Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Singles Charts: 1984 (including chart panel sales)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the 01 Sep 84 chart, I'm thinking that #50 and #51 should have been swapped round...? Or am I missing something? (probably the latter)

Comment

• Originally posted by UnfazedPenguin View Post
      On the 01 Sep 84 chart, I'm thinking that #50 and #51 should have been swapped round...? Or am I missing something? (probably the latter)
      Wonder if there are examples of prior where this happened differently and none where it happened like this again? (Thinking aloud.... I need to investigate the database!)
      http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

On the 01 Sep 84 chart, I'm thinking that #50 and #51 should have been swapped round...? Or am I missing something? (probably the latter)
        Yes, you'd have thought newcomer would trump climber. Did Gallup also have some stores to verify the results like BMRB did in the day? Possibly this suggested that the climber was outselling the new entry (probably by only a small amount otherwise they'd have investigated further) hence why the climber was listed at 50 and the new entry at 51 on the same panel sales??

Comment

• I've just checked the charts that kobyhadrian sent me and they are the same as posted here. Yes, the tie break should be the record with the greatest % increase in sales should be placed the highest with the result that a new entry should always be placed above a record climbing the chart.

Comment

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post

Yes, you'd have thought newcomer would trump climber. Did Gallup also have some stores to verify the results like BMRB did in the day? Possibly this suggested that the climber was outselling the new entry (probably by only a small amount otherwise they'd have investigated further) hence why the climber was listed at 50 and the new entry at 51 on the same panel sales??
            Gallup checked the new entries, climbers etc with an additional 50 stores which they would use to check the top end of the chart, climbers and new entries. However if a record was performing much better in a chart panel shop than in the check panel then Gallup would, unless there were reasons not to do so (in store promotions, for example) deem that the record had failed the security check and would usually either reduce its panel sales to average it to the check panel, ignore some sales if they were concentrated to a particular area or shop, or exclude the record altogether. After the security checks had completed, the panel sales figures would then be subject to the usual chart rules on tiebreaking.

Comment

• Interesting. I wonder whether the process of aggregating the raw sales data into the weekly report(s) was completely automatic, or whether the report was (partially) manually typed up. If that was the case, that could explain the odd incident like this.
              It should be fairly easy to check if you have all the chart data in excel; just sort a chart first by panel sales, then by increase (where known), then by chart position as stated, and see if anything else ends up in a different order.

Comment

Motorhead denied a top 50 hit by Kevin The Gerbil! What an injustice!

Comment

Interesting. I wonder whether the process of aggregating the raw sales data into the weekly report(s) was completely automatic, or whether the report was (partially) manually typed up. If that was the case, that could explain the odd incident like this.
                  It should be fairly easy to check if you have all the chart data in excel; just sort a chart first by panel sales, then by increase (where known), then by chart position as stated, and see if anything else ends up in a different order.
                  All I have is what kobyhadrian has sent to me. He has the original chart reports but they are simply a computer generated print out of chart position, panel sales, increase / decrease over last week etc (i.e. an automated report and not manually typed). The raw data would only have been held in Gallup's computer systems and they will be long lost now. That said, the figures on the chart report showing the % panel sales increase over last week should be enough to show if there was a Gallup error here. I can't check with kobyhadrian at the moment as he is on holiday.

Comment

• The very few copies of the reports (4) I have from early 1983 show *** in place of percentage increase/decrease for new entries unless the record had been out for a while and was selling the previous week. For the case here I suspect that is not the case!
                    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                      Gallup checked the new entries, climbers etc with an additional 50 stores which they would use to check the top end of the chart, climbers and new entries. However if a record was performing much better in a chart panel shop than in the check panel then Gallup would, unless there were reasons not to do so (in store promotions, for example) deem that the record had failed the security check and would usually either reduce its panel sales to average it to the check panel, ignore some sales if they were concentrated to a particular area or shop, or exclude the record altogether. After the security checks had completed, the panel sales figures would then be subject to the usual chart rules on tiebreaking.
                      If the check panel showed for example, one additional sale to the climber compared with the new entry, would that have triggered an investigation or would they have just used that to rank the climber above the new entry? While it doesn't sound like it is an official rule, it could theoretically be a way to split ties - though I guess if they had used it to do so, then we'd be much more likely to see similar examples.
                      So as far as we know the check panel was only used to confirm the veracity of the panel sales?

Comment

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post

If the check panel showed for example, one additional sale to the climber compared with the new entry, would that have triggered an investigation or would they have just used that to rank the climber above the new entry? While it doesn't sound like it is an official rule, it could theoretically be a way to split ties - though I guess if they had used it to do so, then we'd be much more likely to see similar examples.
                        So as far as we know the check panel was only used to confirm the veracity of the panel sales?
                        The check panel was used to confirm the veracity of the panel sales but if the panel sales were deemed to be unrepresentative those panel sales could be downweighted.

Reading between the lines, the differences between the chart panel sales and the check panel data would have to be noticeably different. One sale difference isn't likely to lead to any action by Gallup. Plus once all checks had been made, the resulting panel sales figures should then be subject to whatever tiebreak mechansism was in place. It would be done automatically by the computer.

In 1984 Music Week published two articles on how the chart system worked, including how the check system operated. The two issues are available to download from worldradiohistory.com

29 September 1984: Charts: the inside story (pages 22 and 23) https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Mus...1984-09-29.pdf

6 October 1984: Charts: the inside story (Part 2 - checking each record) (pages 44 and 45 of the PDF) https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Mus...1984-10-06.pdf

The check panel was bigger than I thought. In the second article its size is given as 400 shops, of which a third were used each week. It had been 50 when Gallup first began to compile the charts in January 1983.

I've extracted the articles from both Music Week issues and have combined them into one PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i91rf61lnc...Story.pdf?dl=0

Comment

• I am wondering if it is an error in that specific chart - or a chart rule we don't know. All data below relates to the period Jan 1983-Nov 1984 (including charts not yet posted - but I will not spoil future charts)

With a few exceptions, such as below (8 Sep 1984)
                          NE 141 26 Warp 9 Master Of The Mix
                          NE 141 26 Chelsea F.C. Championship Squad Back On The Ball
                          RE 143 26 Candido Jingo
                          RE 144 26 Cruella De Ville Hong Kong Swing
                          NE 145 26 Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers We Need Some Money (Bout Money)
                          167 146 26 Michael Jackson Thriller
                          122 *** 26 Lydia Murdock Love On The Line
                          new entries always come before climbers when sales are tied. Past Sep 1983, tied sales do not occur in the Top 20 - indeed only a four week run (27 Aug-24 Sep 1983) feature tied sales in the Top 20.

Ties occur in the Top 40 (21-40) much more frequently with the New entry always above the other records - 4 cases where the order is NE and then climber, 3 where it is NEW and then faller, which you would expect the NEW to be above the fall.

In all cases - except this one - when a tie occurs in the Top 50 the NEW is placed above the climber.

Getting to the lower end of the chart it changes, as in the sales figures below 100 you get tiny variations anyway and in those cases the fact that the record is new to the 200 may not mean it is new to Gallup (i.e. was present last week) and thus percentage increase can be calculated.

Hope all this helps!

Comment

• 15 September 1984

Twk Lwk Wks Title Artist Sales
                            1 1 4 I Just Called To Say I Love You Stevie Wonder 12590
                            2 2 7 Careless Whisper George Michael 5759
                            3 6 4 Ghostbusters Ray Parker Jr. 3719
                            4 3 17 Agadoo Black Lace 3349
                            5 4 6 Like To Get To Know You Well Howard Jones 2832
                            6 5 6 Passengers (Re-Mix) Elton John 2683
                            7 7 6 Dr. Beat Miami Sound Machine 2603
                            8 NE 1 Pride (In The Name Of Love) U2 2548
                            9 11 7 Big In Japan Alphaville 2150
                            10 8 11 Self Control Laura Branigan 1985
                            11 12 3 Master And Servant Depeche Mode 1836
                            12 9 4 I'll Fly For You Spandau Ballet 1826
                            13 15 3 Madam Butterfly (Un Bel Di Vedremo) Malcolm McLaren 1812
                            14 32 2 Lost In Music Sister Sledge 1612
                            15 21 4 Talking In Your Sleep Bucks Fizz 1278
                            16 10 8 Whatever I Do (Wherever I Go) Hazell Dean 1006
                            17 13 14 Two Tribes Frankie Goes To Hollywood 929
                            18 14 5 Mother's Talk Tears For Fears 912
                            19 26 3 Hot Water Level 42 897
                            20 18 45 White Lines (Don't Don't Do It) Grandmaster & Melle Mel 874
                            21 17 3 William, It Was Really Nothing The Smiths 869
                            22 16 11 Stuck On You Trevor Walters 768
                            23 NE 1 A Letter To You Shakin' Stevens 753
                            24 28 3 Sunset Now Heaven 17 695
                            25 20 8 Some Guys Have All The Luck Rod Stewart 693
                            26 38 2 Torture Jacksons 658
                            27 19 14 What's Love Got To Do With It Tina Turner 646
                            28 37 6 Tour De France (Remix) Kraftwerk 612
                            29 22 45 Relax Frankie Goes To Hollywood 611
                            30 29 6 I Need You Pointer Sisters 538
                            31 27 6 Are You Ready (Vocal) Break Machine 528
                            32 24 12 When Doves Cry Prince 527
                            33 48 2 Tesla Girls O.M.D. 506
                            34 39 3 All I Need Is Everything / Jump Aztec Camera 424
                            35 23 20 On The Wings Of Love Jeffrey Osborne 404
                            36 31 10 The More You Live, The More You Love A Flock Of Seagulls 396
                            37 33 6 Girl You're So Together Michael Jackson 377
                            38 NE 1 Human Racing Nik Kershaw 364
                            39 25 5 2 Minutes To Midnight Iron Maiden 350
                            40 41 6 Mr. Solitaire (Panther Remix) Animal Nightlife 341
                            41 46 4 Forest Fire Lloyd Cole And The Commotions 339
                            42 30 8 Sunglasses Tracey Ullman 336
                            43 47 3 Magic Touch Rose Royce 328
                            44 34 8 It's A Hard Life Queen 321
                            45 NE 1 Smooth Operator Sade 320
                            46 56 4 She Bop Cyndi Lauper 318
                            47 43 2 Heaven's On Fire Kiss 316
                            48 51 3 Cath / Will She Always Be Waiting The Bluebells 302
                            49 53 3 Unity (Part 1 - The Third Coming) Afrika Bambaataa And The Godfather Of Soul James Brown 295
                            50 35 10 Love Songs Are Back Again Band Of Gold 278
                            51 72 3 What I Like Most About You Is Your Girlfriend The Special AKA 257
                            52 36 11 Closest Thing To Heaven The Kane Gang 251
                            53 62 4 Waiting For The Love Boat The Associates 232
                            54 40 10 Everybody's Laughing Phil Fearon & Galaxy 224
                            55 63 5 The Girl From Ipanema Astrud Gilberto 222
                            56 NE 1 Better Be Good To Me Tina Turner 218
                            57 44 14 Tossing And Turning Windjammer 198
                            58 61 5 You Get The Best From Me (Say, Say, Say) Alicia Myers 193
                            59 NE 1 The Medicine Song Stephanie Mills 190
                            60 89 2 Rikki Don't Lose That Number Tom Robinson 187
                            61 79 2 Don't Blame It On Love Shakatak 187
                            62 75 7 What Is Life? Black Uhuru 184
                            63 42 5 You're Never Too Young The Cool Notes 180
                            64 73 5 Somebody Junior 177
                            65 45 11 Down On The Street Shakatak 170
                            66 49 10 Hole In My Shoe neil 160
                            67 50 10 You Think You're A Man Divine 159
                            68 54 3 Love Glove Visage 158
                            69 57 3 You Have Marc Almond 157
                            70 93 2 Lap Of Luxury Jethro Tull 156
                            71 83 5 Another Silent Day The Adventures 152
                            72 NE 1 Touch By Touch Diana Ross 149
                            73 68 3 Encore Cheryl Lynn 144
                            74 55 7 Just The Way You Like It The S.O.S. Band 143
                            75 80 9 Cccan't You See… Vicious Pink 141
                            *** 60 13 Stuck On You Lionel Richie 131
                            *** 59 26 Time After Time Cyndi Lauper 129
                            *** 58 3 Killed By Death Motörhead 128
                            76 84 2 Unexpected Song Sarah Brightman 120
                            *** 67 15 Eyes Without A Face Billy Idol 120
                            *** 69 17 Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Wham! 111
                            77 *** 13 Love Resurrection Alison Moyet 107
                            78 66 11 Sister Of Mercy Thompson Twins 103
                            *** 78 5 I Can Dream About You (Edited Version) Dan Hartman 100
                            *** 52 14 I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me Nik Kershaw 100
                            79 NE 1 Rain Forest Paul Hardcastle 99
                            *** 71 6 Empty Rooms Gary Moore 98
                            *** *** 8 In The Country The Farmer's Boys 95
                            80 NE 1 When The Wild Calls Swans Way 94
                            81 98 2 On The Wings Of A Nightingale The Everly Brothers 93
                            *** *** 7 Nervous Shakedown AC/DC 91
                            *** *** 13 Breakin'... There's No Stopping Us Ollie & Jerry 90
                            *** 74 9 The Day Before You Came Blancmange 89
                            82 NE 1 Acceleration Bill Nelson 85
                            83 102 4 Burning Bush (Testify) Savage Progress 84
                            *** 64 8 Summer Holiday Kevin The Gerbil 80
                            84 91 4 Original Sin The Senate 79
                            *** *** 16 Smalltown Boy Bronski Beat 79
                            *** 82 4 You Keep Me Coming Back (Edited Version) The Brothers Johnson 79
                            85 94 79 Blue Monday New Order 78
                            86 90 11 Guardian Angel Nino De Angelo 78
                            *** *** 6 You Are My Melody (Edit.) Change 76
                            87 76 11 State Of Shock Jacksons with lead vocals by Michael Jackson & Mick Jagger 76
                            *** *** 13 Jump (For My Love) Pointer Sisters 74
                            *** 77 5 Castles In Spain The Armoury Show 74
                            *** *** 5 The Ink In The Well David Sylvian 74
                            88 86 8 Eternally Grateful Janet Kay 72
                            *** *** 10 Seven Seas Echo And The Bunnymen 71
                            *** 87 8 Tinseltown In The Rain The Blue Nile 70
                            *** *** 5 17 (Vocal) Rick James 70
                            *** *** 14 Hot Hot Hot (Hotter Mix '84) Arrow 70
                            89 97 3 Re-Ron Gil Scott-Heron 69
                            *** 85 5 The Only Flame In Town Elvis Costello & The Attractions 67
                            90 99 6 Breakout Kelly 65
                            *** *** 5 Lady Shine (Shine On) T. H. S. - The Horne Section 65
                            *** 70 5 Masquerade (Vocal) Evelyn Thomas 65
                            *** 65 13 Young At Heart The Bluebells 65
                            91 105 3 Creep The Fall 64
                            *** *** 11 Lament Ultravox 64
                            *** *** 12 Hand On My Heart Shriekback 64
                            92 118 2 Kangaroo This Mortal Coil 63
                            93 121 3 Girl From Baiaha (Toda Menina Baiaha) Gilberto Gil 61
                            *** 81 4 Big City Nights The Scorpions 60
                            94 96 17 Dancing In The Dark Bruce Springsteen 59
                            *** *** 13 Come Back The Mighty Wah! 59
                            *** *** 7 99½ Carol Lynn Townes 58
                            *** 88 3 Don't Stop Runnin' Y & T 56
                            *** *** 7 Banana Banana King Kurt 55
                            *** 92 15 Only When You Leave Spandau Ballet 54
                            *** *** 8 There Are More Snakes Than Ladders Captain Sensible 54
                            95 100 3 Sucker For Love (I'm A Sucker For Your Love) US Mix B-Biz-R 53
                            *** *** 18 Thinking Of You Sister Sledge 53
                            96 117 6 International Thomas Leer 52
                            97 *** 7 The Ecstacy Of Flight (I Love The Night) Chris de Burgh 51
                            98 107 3 Walking On A Highwire Marseille 51
                            99 103 3 Universal Rhythm Ralph MacDonald 51
                            *** *** 6 Don't Take My Coconuts Kid Creole & The Coconuts 51
                            100 *** 4 Dead And Buried Alien Sex Fiend 50
                            101 NE 1 I Can't Let You Go Haywoode 49
                            102 101 2 Weekends (How Come We Always End Up Here?) The Mighty Wah! 49
                            *** *** 5 There Goes My Baby Donna Summer 49
                            103 *** 18 Perfect Skin Lloyd Cole And The Commotions 46
                            104 *** 9 Whose Side Are You On? Matt Bianco 46
                            *** *** 16 Farewell My Summer Love Michael Jackson 46
                            *** *** 7 Hardrock Herbie Hancock 46
                            *** *** 8 Black Stations/White Stations M + M 46
                            105 141 2 Back On The Ball Chelsea F.C. Championship Squad 45
                            106 126 3 Five Live (EP) The Truth 45
                            *** *** 23 High Energy (Vocal) Evelyn Thomas 44
                            107 111 2 Restless Flesh For Lulu 43
                            108 104 4 Crazee-Ee-Pee (Single 12 Inch) Mama's Boys 43
                            *** *** 13 All Of You Julio Iglesias And Diana Ross 43
                            109 NE 1 Shine, Shine Barry Gibb 42
                            *** *** 6 We Rock Dio 42
                            110 95 17 Pearl In The Shell Howard Jones 41
                            *** *** 8 Dum Dum Girl Talk Talk 40
                            111 NE 1 I Get Romantic Booker Newberry III 39
                            112 RE 5 If Ever You're In My Arms Again Peabo Bryson 39
                            113 NE 1 Last Plane (One Way Ticket) Clint Eastwood & General Saint 37
                            113 NE 1 Tenderness General Public 37
                            115 108 3 Club Underworld Cerrone 37
                            *** *** 5 I Wanna Be Somebody W.A.S.P. 37
                            116 RE 2 Simple Johnny Mathis 36
                            117 150 23 I Want To Break Free Queen 36
                            *** *** 16 Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now The Smiths 36
                            *** *** 5 Taxman Rockwell 36
                            118 110 41 Ain't Nobody Rufus And Chaka Khan 35
                            *** *** 5 Go West (Crazy Spinning Circle) The Cult 35
                            *** *** 12 To France Mike Oldfield, Vocals: Maggie Reilly 34
                            119 122 45 This Charming Man The Smiths 33
                            *** *** 16 Change Of Heart (Edit.) Change 33
                            120 116 5 Intimate Connection Kleeer 33
                            *** *** 4 Menergy Sylvester 33
                            121 NE 1 The A Team Mike Post 32
                            122 164 28 Hello Lionel Richie 32
                            123 145 2 We Need Some Money (Bout Money) Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers 32
                            *** *** 4 Mama Weer All Crazee Now Quiet Riot 32
                            *** *** 15 Absolute Scritti Politti 31
                            124 114 3 Slip Away (Vocal) Skool Boyz 31
                            *** *** 12 Sweet Somebody Shannon 31
                            *** *** 8 State Of Independence (Edited Version) Jon & Vangelis 31
                            125 NE 1 All Men Play On 10 Manowar 30
                            126 153 62 (Sexual) Healing Marvin Gaye 30
                            127 144 4 Hong Kong Swing Cruella De Ville 30
                            *** *** 13 Beat Street Breakdown - Part I Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five 30
                            128 151 16 Red Guitar David Sylvian 29
                            *** *** 13 Waiting In Vain Bob Marley & The Wailers 29
                            *** *** 7 Pale Blue Eyes (Edited Version) Paul Quinn And Edwyn Collins 29
                            129 RE 20 Love Wars (edit.) Womack & Womack 28
                            130 NE 1 Do What You Do Charged G.B.H. 28
                            131 149 16 Thieves Like Us New Order 27
                            132 146 44 Thriller Michael Jackson 27
                            *** *** 8 Guilty Paul Hardcastle, Vocal by Kevin Henry 27
                            *** *** 8 Ain't No Sunshine (Peedar Edit) Sivuca 27
                            133 129 4 She's Fresh (Remix Version) Rock Steady Crew 27
                            134 127 3 Fire Me Up Roman Holliday 27
                            *** *** 7 Storm Of Light Working Week 27
                            *** *** 21 The Reflex Duran Duran 27
                            135 136 8 Self Control (Part 1) R.A.F 26
                            136 NE 1 Come And Get My Lovin' Barbara Fowler 25
                            137 *** 9 Take The Colourfield 25
                            138 *** 13 Leave A Tender Moment Alone / Goodnight Saigon Billy Joel 25
                            139 171 3 I Didn't Mean To Turn You On Cherrelle 25
                            *** *** 12 Life On Your Own Human League 25
                            140 NE 1 Escape (I Need A Break) Whodini 24
                            141 RE 18 Each And Every One Everything But The Girl 24
                            142 185 75 Eye Of The Tiger Survivor 24
                            143 *** 10 Don't Go Lose It Baby Hugh Masekela 24
                            144 169 14 Just For Old Time's Sake Foster And Allen 24
                            145 143 34 Jingo Candido 24
                            *** 125 3 This Boy Loves The Sun David Austin 24
                            146 106 31 Kiss Me (U.S. Remix) Tin Tin 24
                            *** *** 6 I'll Wait (Edit.) Van Halen 24
                            147 NE 1 With All My Love Barbara Roy 23
                            148 RE 44 New Song Howard Jones 23
                            149 *** 5 Work In Progress (EP) Robert Wyatt 23
                            150 182 24 People Are People Depeche Mode 23
                            151 170 17 TV Dinners (edit.) ZZ Top 23
                            152 *** 6 A Doll That's Made In Japan Steve Hackett 23
                            *** *** 5 Footsteps At My Door Helen And The Horns 23
                            153 RE 4 Looks That Kill Mötley Crüe 22
                            *** *** 8 Cockney Translation Smiley Culture 22
                            *** *** 7 Today's Your Lucky Day (Peedar Edit) Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes featuring Nikko 22
                            154 133 2 Where Does That Boy Hang Out David Lasley 22
                            *** 132 6 L.A. Is My Lady Frank Sinatra with Quincy Jones and Orchestra 22
                            *** *** 5 Shining Star Precinct 22
                            *** *** 14 Talking Loud And Clear Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark 22
                            *** *** 6 Reggae Movement Jimmy Cliff 22
                            *** 115 6 With You Ingram 22
                            155 112 43 Searchin' Hazell Dean 22
                            156 NE 1 Theme From The A-Team Orchestra Conducted By Daniel Kane 21
                            157 *** 5 Good Day The Kinks 21
                            *** *** 5 On A Night Like This The Shadows 21
                            *** *** 6 Sing And Shout Second Image 21
                            158 109 9 Mine Everything But The Girl 21
                            159 NE 1 Garden Of The Arcane Delights (EP) Dead Can Dance 20
                            160 RE 32 Fields Of Fire (400 Miles) Big Country 20
                            161 168 39 Superman (Gioca Jouer) Black Lace 20
                            *** *** 5 Him Simone [Kelsall] 20
                            *** *** 9 SOS My Imagination Bruce Foxton 20
                            162 130 3 25 Years The Catch 20
                            *** 119 28 Hide And Seek Howard Jones 20
                            *** 123 3 No Favors Temper 20
                            163 NE 1 Passion Fruit The Shillelagh Sisters 19
                            164 RE 41 True Spandau Ballet 19
                            165 *** 10 Brown Sugar The Rolling Stones 19
                            166 *** 14 Those First Impressions Associates 19
                            167 *** 14 I Found Lovin' (L.P. Version) The Fatback Band 19
                            168 156 2 This Time Baby Jackie Moore 19
                            *** 155 22 Somebody Else's Guy Jocelyn Brown 19
                            *** *** 5 Dynamite Jermaine Jackson 19
                            169 139 56 Love Will Tear Us Apart Joy Division 19
                            170 138 2 Midnight Lover Margie Joseph 19
                            171 134 2 Holiday Chiefs Of Relief 19
                            172 124 17 You're The Best Thing / The Big Boss Groove The Style Council 19
                            173 NE 1 Easy Love Vikki Benson 18
                            174 RE 9 The Heart Of Rock + Roll Huey Lewis And The News 18
                            175 RE 15 So Tired Ozzy Osbourne 18
                            176 RE 5 Sex Machine The Flying Lizards 18
                            177 RE 24 Girls Just Want To Have Fun Cyndi Lauper 18
                            178 198 14 (The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up (Special Remix) Roni Griffith 18
                            179 196 31 What Difference Does It Make? The Smiths 18
                            *** *** 46 Hip Hop, Be Bop (Don't Stop) (Edited Version) Man Parrish 18
                            180 166 7 Caught In The Act (Vocal) Earlene Bentley 18
                            181 147 22 One Love / People Get Ready Bob Marley & The Wailers 18
                            *** 135 24 Automatic Pointer Sisters 18
                            *** 128 11 I Love Men Eartha Kitt 18
                            182 RE 14 Borderline (Edit.) Madonna 17
                            183 RE 12 The Whodini Electro E.P. (EP) Whodini 17
                            184 NE 1 You Are The One Alec Khaoli 17
                            185 RE 14 Thin Line Between Love And Hate Pretenders 17
                            186 189 3 Ge Me More Chevi 17
                            *** *** 15 Get Your Feet Out Of My Shoes The Boothill Foot-Tappers 17
                            *** *** 22 Jam On It Newcleus 17
                            187 141 2 Master Of The Mix Warp 9 17
                            *** *** 6 Abele Dance Manu Dibango 17
                            *** 137 14 Thanks For The Night The Damned 17
                            *** *** 17 Sad Songs (Say So Much) Elton John 17
                            *** 113 19 Break Dance Party Break Machine 17
                            188 NE 1 It Hurts One The Juggler 16
                            188 NE 1 Black Butterfly Deniece Williams 16
                            190 RE 41 Rockit Herbie Hancock 16
                            191 RE 7 Wait Wang Chung 16
                            192 RE 13 Reggae Night Jimmy Cliff 16
                            193 RE 13 When Am I Going To Make A Living Sade 16
                            194 184 63 Postman Pat Ken Barrie 16
                            195 174 22 Let's Hear It For The Boy Deniece Williams 16
                            196 173 13 Dance Me Up Gary Glitter 16
                            *** 159 4 Invitation Life Force 16
                            *** *** 18 Susanna The Art Company 16
                            197 NE 1 Close To Me Bobby King featuring Alfie Silas 15
                            198 RE 8 Couldn't Stand A Day Re-Flex 15
                            199 RE 16 I Scare Myself Thomas Dolby 15
                            200 RE 13 Hand In Glove Sandie Shaw 15

chart listing courtesy of kobyhadrian

Comment

• Vikki Benson @ 173 with Easy Love a cover of the Bucks Fizz album track from Are You Ready 1982
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeeSKaJQmGE

Comment

• It comes as a revelation to me just how far ahead number one sales can be over the closest competition at times. Stevie Wonder has a massive sales figure which is double that of number two and over three times as many as number three
                                The Ultimate Averaged Chart. The Definitive Chart Reflecting The Fifties and Sixties.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
                                  It comes as a revelation to me just how far ahead number one sales can be over the closest competition at times. Stevie Wonder has a massive sales figure which is double that of number two and over three times as many as number three
                                  Those are massive sales for IJCTSILY. With panel sales of 12,590 that equates to market sales (x17 multiplier) of 214,030, the highest so far of 1984.

Comment

• And such a terrible, corny song, hardly representative of the sophisticated musical oeuvre and massive influential impact Stevie Wonder had and still seems to have on artists today! I guess the grannies were out in their droves buying it, or possibly the kiddies, but I never remember anyone saying they liked it (at least not admitting to it if they did!).

Speaking of the kids, it's delightfully nostalgic to find Mike Post's 'The A-Team' finally get its first chart appearance, at No 121, although I've hitherto been unaware of a rival orchestral version of the theme conducted by one Daniel Kane appearing 35 compressed positions beneath it. You can't beat the original as far as I'm concerned. Its enduring and continued usage as a soundbed for adverts etc must've made Post a millionaire by now just on that track alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gambo View Post
                                      And such a terrible, corny song, hardly representative of the sophisticated musical oeuvre and massive influential impact Stevie Wonder had and still seems to have on artists today! I guess the grannies were out in their droves buying it, or possibly the kiddies, but I never remember anyone saying they liked it (at least not admitting to it if they did!).

Speaking of the kids, it's delightfully nostalgic to find Mike Post's 'The A-Team' finally get its first chart appearance, at No 121, although I've hitherto been unaware of a rival orchestral version of the theme conducted by one Daniel Kane appearing 35 compressed positions beneath it. You can't beat the original as far as I'm concerned. Its enduring and continued usage as a soundbed for adverts etc must've made Post a millionaire by now just on that track alone.
                                      It's from the same soundtrack album. But it's credited to Daniel Caine not Kane. Both versions bookend the album but it doesn't designate an artist other than the composers Mike Post and Pete Carpenter. https://www.discogs.com/release/2122...Original-Score

Here's the Post single https://www.discogs.com/release/2397...ost-The-A-Team
                                      Here's a video for it that i've never seen before! This version has a band feel to it.

Here's the one that is credited to Daniel Caine (not Kane) but credits both Mike Post and Pete Carpenter on the sleeve as composers. https://www.discogs.com/release/6615...rom-the-A-Team

It's a bit confusing. Why on earth would they release 2 different singles when they could put both versions on the same single?

As you can see - both releases are filed under Mike Post on Discogs. https://www.discogs.com/artist/255674-Mike-Post

So they could have had a bigger hit with this if they'd put both versions together! The orchestral one is on a UK label Indiana Records, the band version is on RCA. The score soundtrack is on Indiana.

EDIT:

On further inspection, it seems that score album does not contain the RCA version of the theme. On Spotify, it has a short and a long version of the orchestral version bookending the album (a 1999 release). https://open.spotify.com/album/7fEr0hk3Z5rO5bQ752FAhB

The band version must have been a promotional tool for the series. It is on Spotify here: https://open.spotify.com/album/0piS1MJ1406FkEu6mgGxI9

Was it ever actually in the show??
                                      Here's a clip of the opening and closing credits and it's not there:

Last edited by Blondini; Thu June 23, 2022, 13:53.

Comment

• I've been musing for a while now on the obvious comparison between these Gallup compressed Top 200 full chart reports and the uncompressed Top 200s published in 'Hit Music' in the early Millward Brown era (kindly being posted by ChartMark over on his thread). I often wondered what the 'actual' Top 200 chart would look like if positions were attributed to all the starred-out singles, and it's notable how many more we songs get to see charting in these reports than we do with HM issues, as the real extent of the Gallup report rankings are nearer a Top 300, sometimes longer, but HM was always pegged to the first 200. One of the overarching revelations made apparent thanks to those kindly posting these reports is the number of excluded records each week; it's way more than I'd envisaged would be likely for this period of singles history. So the chart would look considerably different had no exclusion rules based on sales declines been in place. There definitely would be a glut of older singles hanging around longer and pushing down up-and-coming new ones - very much the argument in use again today with regards to the compression of the current weekly charts.

Clearly it would take ages to do this manually for every chart so-far posted from Jan '83 to Sep '84 (I don't have any wizzy database to automate it for me), so I won't be attempting to transpose all these charts into a 'HM' format. However, oddly enough a chum happened to ask me a few days ago "what was in the charts this week in 1984?" Of course once upon a time I'd only have had the Top 75 to offer him from my own records, or possibly the Top 100 with the (bottom quartile affected by the exclusion rule) from the OCC's archive. But now I was able to provide a full Top 200 courtesy of this thread! I decided though that I'd only present the 'true' 200 rather than the expanded listing from the whole report, partly because the enquirer isn't au fait with stuff like exclusion rules and it is just more meaningful to them if I provide a straightforward ranking of the actual best-selling singles that week, as they'd automatically expect a true rather than manipulated set of positions. It was an opportunity to add in 'missing' positions for starred-out songs and end up with an example HM-style chart.

I have posted the result below - with apologies to Robbie for interrupting his flow of posting new charts each day. I had to do the exercise twice, in order to ensure the previous week's positions were 'real' too and not compressed, although the weeks on chart count is of course for all weeks spent in the expanded full report and so stretch well-beyond the real 200th biggest seller threshold. I don't know how representative this particular week is, but broadly, it showed that with every ten or so rungs down the chart below No 75, roughly around ten 'real' positions were being lost, so that what was really the 90th bestseller was officially around 80th in compressed terms, and so on down to the point where the compressed No 200 equated to around the real 300 - indicating around 100 records being excluded below 75.

Uncompressed Top 200 Singles for Week ending Saturday 23 June 1984 (sales period Monday 11 to Saturday 16 June 1984)
                                        TW LW WOC Title Artist Panel Sales (x17)
                                        1 1 2 Two Tribes Frankie Goes To Hollywood 11756
                                        2 2 5 Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Wham! 3466
                                        3 4 4 Smalltown Boy Bronski Beat 2948
                                        4 18 2 I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me Nik Kershaw 2258
                                        5 11 33 Relax Frankie Goes To Hollywood 2046
                                        6 3 3 Only When You Leave Spandau Ballet 2011
                                        7 8 5 Sad Songs (Say So Much) Elton John 1959
                                        8 15 4 Farewell My Summer Love Michael Jackson 1796
                                        9 5 11 High Energy (Vocal) Evelyn Thomas 1783
                                        10 7 5 Pearl In The Shell Howard Jones 1423
                                        11 14 6 Thinking Of You Sister Sledge 1392
                                        12 20 6 Susanna The Art Company 1279
                                        13 10 4 Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now The Smiths 1256
                                        14 6 6 Dancing With Tears In My Eyes Ultravox 1179
                                        15 12 31 Searchin' Hazell Dean 1092
                                        16 9 10 Let's Hear It For The Boy Deniece Williams 1026
                                        17 13 5 You're The Best Thing / The Big Boss Groove The Style Council 1003
                                        18 16 10 I Feel Like Buddy Holly Alvin Stardust 996
                                        19 26 4 Change Of Heart (Edit.) Change 893
                                        20 21 4 So Tired Ozzy Osbourne 883
                                        21 36 33 White Lines (Don't Don't Do It) Grandmaster & Melle Mel 795
                                        22 33 3 Absolute Scritti Politti 726
                                        23 39 2 Talking Loud And Clear Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark 705
                                        24 NE 1 Jump (For My Love) Pointer Sisters 700
                                        25 17 4 One Better Day Madness 694
                                        26 23 5 Rough Justice Bananarama 655
                                        27 19 9 The Reflex Duran Duran 648
                                        28 22 11 I Want To Break Free Queen 640
                                        29 40 2 I Wanna Be Loved / Turning The Town Red Elvis Costello And The Attractions 609
                                        30 27 5 Infatuation (edit.) Rod Stewart 602
                                        31 31 4 Love All Day Nick Heyward 594
                                        32 24 12 Automatic Pointer Sisters 485
                                        33 25 4 Red Guitar David Sylvian 475
                                        34 NE 1 Stuck On You Lionel Richie 465
                                        35 NE 1 Breakin'... There's No Stopping Us Ollie & Jerry 453
                                        36 62 14 Time After Time Cyndi Lauper 441
                                        37 30 7 Break Dance Party Break Machine 409
                                        38 37 5 Dancing In The Dark Bruce Springsteen 383
                                        39 28 12 Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) Phil Collins 380
                                        40 45 6 Perfect Skin Lloyd Cole And The Commotions 378
                                        41 NE 1 Waiting In Vain Bob Marley & The Wailers 346
                                        42 29 10 Love Wars (edit.) Womack & Womack 341
                                        43 32 14 Footloose Kenny Loggins 317
                                        44 52 2 Those First Impressions Associates 304
                                        45 70 2 Doin' It In A Haunted House Yvonne Gage 300
                                        46 43 3 Thanks For The Night The Damned 283
                                        47 34 10 One Love / People Get Ready Bob Marley & The Wailers 268
                                        48 82 3 Dance Me Up Gary Glitter 262
                                        49 NE 1 Leave A Tender Moment Alone / Goodnight Saigon Billy Joel 255
                                        50 66 2 What's Love Got To Do With It Tina Turner 249
                                        51 35 6 Going Down Town Tonight Status Quo 236
                                        52 54 4 The Boy Who Came Back Marc Almond 233
                                        53 46 2 Body And Soul / Train The Sisters Of Mercy 233
                                        54 NE 1 Young At Heart The Bluebells 228
                                        55 NE 1 Love Resurrection Alison Moyet 227
                                        56 51 3 Feels So Real (Won't Let Go) (Edit.) Patrice Rushen 219
                                        57 38 5 When Am I Going To Make A Living Sade 216
                                        58 56 4 Borderline (Edit.) Madonna 206
                                        59 58 4 We're Not Gonna Take It Twisted Sister 205
                                        60 143 2 I Found Lovin' (L.P. Version) The Fatback Band 195
                                        61 57 5 Illuminations Swans Way 194
                                        62 44 8 Each And Every One Everything But The Girl 193
                                        63 41 11 Locomotion Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark 188
                                        64 49 4 Thin Line Between Love And Hate Pretenders 185
                                        65 NE 1 When Your 'Ex' Wants You Back Surface 166
                                        66 71 2 Man On Fire Roger Taylor 163
                                        67 68 3 Tell Me Why Bobby Womack 162
                                        68 75 4 The Ghost In You The Psychedelic Furs 160
                                        69 RE 8 On The Wings Of Love Jeffrey Osborne 157
                                        70 63 10 The Wind Beneath My Wings Lee Greenwood 154
                                        71 59 4 (I Love You) When You Sleep Tracie 150
                                        72 47 17 Stay With Me Tonight Jeffrey Osborne 149
                                        73 76 2 Jammin' In America The Gap Band 135
                                        74 81 3 Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young Jim Steinman & Fire Inc 134
                                        75 80 8 The Lebanon Human League 134
                                        76 50 10 Somebody Else's Guy Jocelyn Brown 134
                                        77 60 16 Hello Lionel Richie 129
                                        78 64 4 Venceremos - We Will Win (7'' Bossa Version) Working Week 129
                                        79 55 24 Just Be Good To Me The S.O.S. Band 127
                                        80 108 3 Eyes Without A Face Billy Idol 126
                                        81 NE 1 Come Back The Mighty Wah! 123
                                        82 NE 1 Don't Let Nobody Hold You Down L. J. Reynolds 123
                                        83 42 4 Dazzle Siouxsie And The Banshees 122
                                        84 NE 1 Beat Street Breakdown - Part I Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five 121
                                        85 69 4 Walk Through The Fire Peter Gabriel 121
                                        86 61 29 Ain't Nobody Rufus And Chaka Khan 121
                                        87 107 2 Tossing And Turning Windjammer 120
                                        88 85 3 In The River I Level 118
                                        89 102 2 (The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up (Special Remix) Roni Griffith 117
                                        90 87 11 Dancing Girls (Remixed Version) Nik Kershaw 114
                                        91 67 10 The Longest Time Billy Joel 113
                                        92 99 2 Rat Race Hi Tension 111
                                        93 92 2 Mr Groove / Lady You Are (Edited Version) One Way 110
                                        94 73 10 Major Tom (Coming Home) (Edit.) Peter Schilling 109
                                        95 48 8 I'll Be Around (Pedro Edit) Terri Wells 108
                                        96 NE 1 Loves Crashing Waves Difford & Tilbrook 107
                                        97 65 11 Don't Tell Me Blancmange 105
                                        98 72 4 Too Much Trouble Limahl 105
                                        99 79 5 Agadoo Black Lace 103
                                        100 90 10 (When You're) Young And In Love The Flying Pickets 101
                                        101 74 5 I Wanna Make You Feel Good The System 101
                                        102 NE 1 Up Around The Bend Hanoi Rocks 99
                                        103 101 4 Animal (F..k Like A Beast) W.A.S.P. 98
                                        104 53 7 Love Lies Lost Helen Terry 98
                                        105 NE 1 Dissidents Thomas Dolby 95
                                        106 78 9 Robin (The Hooded Man) Clannad 95
                                        107 84 7 Tell Me If You Still Care The S.O.S. Band 94
                                        108 132 2 Back In The Old Country Tom Robinson 91
                                        109 NE 1 Oh! Brother The Fall 90
                                        110 96 3 What I Want Dead Or Alive 89
                                        111 91 7 Assassing (Edited Version) Marillion 88
                                        112 83 14 To All The Girls I've Loved Before Julio Iglesias & Willie Nelson 87
                                        113 122 16 I'm Falling The Bluebells 86
                                        114 161 2 Just For Old Time's Sake Foster And Allen 84
                                        115 97 17 Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin) Scritti Politti 84
                                        116 NE 1 One Million Kisses Rufus & Chaka Khan 81
                                        117 88 5 Latin Electrica Latin Electrica 81
                                        118 100 7 High On Emotion Chris de Burgh 80
                                        119 134 2 Be My Number Two Joe Jackson 77
                                        120 114 4 No Time To Stop Believing In Love Daisy Chain 74
                                        121 98 4 Oh Sherrie Steve Perry 71
                                        122 89 5 European Queen (No More Love On The Run) Billy Ocean 71
                                        123 109 8 Extraordinary Girl The O'Jays 64
                                        124 77 7 Half A Man And Half A Boy Nick Lowe 63
                                        125 116 15 Dr. Mabuse Propaganda 61
                                        126 120 7 Sweetest Sweetest Jermaine Jackson 61
                                        127 111 11 Love Games Belle And The Devotions 61
                                        128 93 5 Peace On Earth Snowy White 61
                                        129 153 4 Turn To Gold David Austin 59
                                        130 136 2 Boys (Do Fall In Love) Robin Gibb 59
                                        131 118 9 Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops Cocteau Twins 59
                                        132 135 6 Breakdance Irene Cara 57
                                        133 112 5 Murder / Thieves Like Us (Instrumental) New Order 56
                                        134 113 5 The Body Electric Rush 56
                                        135 95 3 I Love You, Suzanne Lou Reed 54
                                        136 189 2 I'm In A Different World Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin 53
                                        137 NE 1 And I Don't Love You Smokey Robinson 49
                                        138 159 2 All Fired Up Fastway 49
                                        139 117 67 Blue Monday New Order 48
                                        140 110 13 You Take Me Up Thompson Twins 48
                                        141 NE 1 No Man Is An Island Warp 9 47
                                        142 RE 23 Jingo Candido 47
                                        143 157 3 Get Your Feet Out Of My Shoes The Boothill Foot-Tappers 47
                                        144 127 9 Uprock The Rock Steady Crew 47
                                        145 125 6 State Of Love Imagination 47
                                        146 121 2 Coming Out Of Hiding Pamala Stanley 47
                                        147 103 9 Emergency (Dial 999) Loose Ends 47
                                        148 115 7 What Presence?! Orange Juice 47
                                        149 124 2 Don't I Ever Cross Your Mind Sometime (Radio Version) Barbara Mason 46
                                        150 104 7 Romancing The Stone Eddy Grant 46
                                        151 126 4 Rocket To Your Heart Lisa 43
                                        152 145 6 Panama Van Halen 43
                                        153 162 9 Thieves Like Us New Order 41
                                        154 86 6 Diggi Loo - Diggi Ley The Herreys 41
                                        155 123 6 Spiritwalker The Cult 41
                                        156 144 21 Kiss Me (U.S. Remix) Tin Tin 40
                                        157 94 9 Love Me Tender Roland Rat Superstar 40
                                        158 128 4 Sign On The Dotted Line… JB's All Stars 40
                                        159 203 32 Thriller Michael Jackson 39
                                        160 147 22 Street Dance (Vocal) Break Machine 39
                                        161 105 13 Ocean Deep / Baby You're Dynamite Cliff Richard 39
                                        162 NE 1 Love Of My Dreams Yvonne Gage 38
                                        163 151 2 Marvellous Guy Girltalk 38
                                        164 149 11 Sneaking Out The Backdoor / Matt's Mood Matt Bianco 38
                                        165 138 15 Nelson Mandela The Special AKA 38
                                        166 119 4 Building On A Strong Foundation The Questions 36
                                        167 160 8 Love & Pride King 36
                                        168 172 14 It's A Miracle Culture Club 35
                                        169 168 15 People Are People Depeche Mode 34
                                        170 129 4 To All The Girls I've Loved Before Engelbert Humperdinck 34
                                        171 173 22 What Difference Does It Make? The Smiths 33
                                        172 155 34 This Charming Man The Smiths 33
                                        173 140 4 Every Single Night Universe 33
                                        174 NE 1 Da Do Run Ron Spitting Image 32
                                        175 137 3 Baby Don't Break Your Baby's Heart Kashif 31
                                        176 NE 1 All Of You Julio Iglesias And Diana Ross 30
                                        177 174 17 Robert De Niro's Waiting Bananarama 29
                                        178 131 10 You Don't Love Me Marilyn 29
                                        179 106 11 (When You Say You Love Somebody) In The Heart Kool & The Gang 29
                                        180 NE 2 Hot Hot Hot (Hotter Mix '84) Arrow 28
                                        181 NE 2 Heart Begin To Beat Savage Progress 28
                                        182 195 12 Dancing In The Sheets Shalamar 28
                                        183 148 8 Drag Me Down The Boomtown Rats 28
                                        184 146 3 Hip Hop Beat (Kid's Rap) The Rapologists 28
                                        185 142 6 Hip Hop Bommi Bop The Increadible T. H. Scratchers Starring Freddy Love 28
                                        186 274 13 I Scare Myself Thomas Dolby 27
                                        187 267 2 You In The Night Fashiøn 27
                                        188 221 8 Holding Out For A Hero Bonnie Tyler 27
                                        189 166 8 So Many Men, So Little Time Miquel Brown 27
                                        190 188 15 That's The Way (I Like It) Dead Or Alive 27
                                        191 175 12 Give Me Tonight Shannon 27
                                        192 217 22 Jump Van Halen 26
                                        193 191 9 Don't Waste Your Time (Remix) Yarbrough & Peoples 26
                                        194 180 19 Your Love Is King Sade 26
                                        195 176 30 It's Raining Men The Weather Girls 26
                                        196 152 8 Turn Your Back On Me Kajagoogoo 26
                                        197 278 14 Living On Video Trans-X 25
                                        198 265 14 Leave It (Remix) Yes 25
                                        199 202 6 The Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight Dominatrix 25
                                        200 171 19 Hide And Seek Howard Jones 25
                                        I suppose if anything this exercise demonstrated that while instinctively I'll never feel comfortable with any deliberate distortion of chart rankings due to arbitrarily-imposed restrictions and rules, often their purpose is all-too-evident and if one wants a more dynamic chart giving profile to newer tracks and move emphasis away from older 'has-beens', then they are reasonably effective at moving things upward. If one can tolerate the artifice, it makes for a more engaging ranking.

Comment

• I agree with your point above Gambo and I do have the uncompressed ranking for all the charts sent me by Robbie that come from kobyhadrian in the database as I have to to ensure that the order of the *** is maintained. The largest is 22 Oct 1983 with 305 uncompressed positions (so 105 starred out) - although my data is only complete for now till 3 Nov 1984 was that's all I have added up to this point. The smallest is actually 7 Jan 1984 with just 3 starred out. Between 22 Jan 1983 and 3 Nov 1984 (The period with starred out records in the database) the average is 66.67 starred out tracks a week. For 1984 that is 69.8 starred out a week, so roughly 70 as you say.

Comment

• I had to edit my above post as i fell down a rabbit hole.

Comment

• According to Wikipedia that score album contains re-recordings so isn't even an actual soundtrack! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_A-Team
                                              I should have looked here first, obviously.

The original main theme composed by Mike Post and Pete Carpenter[42] (in a performance credited to Post) was released on the vinyl LP Mike Post – Television Theme Songs (Elektra Records E1-60028Y, 1982) and again on the Mike Post – Mike Post LP (RCA Records AFL1-5183, 1984), both long out-of-print; however, this was not the same version of the theme as heard on-screen. The theme, as heard on seasons two through four (including the opening narration and sound effects), was also released on TVT's Television's Greatest Hits: 70s and 80s. A 7-inch single of the song credited to Post was released on RCA in 1984.[43]

The French version of the song had lyrics, which mirrored the spoken description of the show in the English opening credits.[44] The theme has been ranked among the best TV themes ever written, with TV weatherman Al Roker sharing that opinion, and using the song to "get jazzed up" in the morning.[42]

Though no original music other than the theme has been released, in 1984 EMI issued an album of re-recorded material from the series conducted by Daniel Caine (reissued by Silva Screen on compact disc in 1999, SILVAD 3509).
                                              Great to see Dead Can Dance charting!
                                              Last edited by Blondini; Thu June 23, 2022, 14:04.

Comment

• No need to apologise Gambo, it's good to see the uncompressed chart so thanks for posting. On the chart I posted today (15 September 1984) there are 94 starred out records, so 5 more than from the chart you posted. Lonnie sends me a spreadsheet which includes data that I don't post here due to space constraints. In addition to the label and catalogue number there's also the positions on what would be the uncompressed charts. However I must admit I've not fully looked at the uncompressed charts so wasn't expecting to see around 90 records excluded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gambo View Post
                                                  It's certainly an enduring tune!

About twenty years ago I was on the jury during a trial in which a mobile phone playing an 'A-Team' ringtone constituted a crucial piece of evidence....

Comment

• The Smiths' first handful of singles (TCM in partic) are loitering around still... I wonder will they have 18 singles in the 200 by Sep 1987?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X