No announcement yet.

THE RECORD MIRROR CHARTS - Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, and Extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever I see the title "Three Coins in the Fountain" I always think of Steve Martin on the Greyhound bus in 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (though of course it originally comes from the film "Three Coins in the Fountain")

Comment

I was half excpecting Johnny Ray to go back to number 1!

Yes, Betty Driver, aka the future Betty Turpin of Coronation Street, is at number 33

Comment

Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
        Whenever I see the title "Three Coins in the Fountain" I always think of Steve Martin on the Greyhound bus in 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (though of course it originally comes from the film "Three Coins in the Fountain")
        For me it’s “Three Goons In The Fountain” from the Goon Show… Spike Milligan has a lot to answer for!
        http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
        Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

Danny Kaye and Patti Page officially lose their 'one hit wonder status' on this chart.

My parents were great record buyers at this time and so I grew up in the sixties hearing many of these old 78rpm shellac discs played over and over.

This was the era of novelties and ballads and some of these ballads were well crafted with clever lyrics. I took a listen to Perry Como's Idle Gossip and Johnnie Ray's Destiny. Both really are great performances and well worthy of major hit status.

Cara Mia was a good song but for me David Whitfield's voice is too harsh for my liking. Kitty Kallen's Little Things Mean A Lot is another great song from this time.

The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Biggest Chart Of The Time

Comment

Greetings Pop Pickers

The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated Re-Worked Extended

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 7th August 1954

POS RECORD MIRROR CHART Re-Calculated Total Total Inv Inv
            THIS TOP 38 (Based On 7 Dealers Returns) Gallup Dealer Points Points
            WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 7th August 1954) Points Charts Rank Scored
            1 Little Things Mean A Lot / I Don't Think You Love Me - Kitty Kallen 46.30 7 1 59
            2 Cara Mia - David Whitfield 40.82 6 2 50
            3 My Friend - Frankie Laine 30.99 4 4 34
            4 Three Coins In The Fountain - Frank Sinatra 29.67 5 3 37
            5 Wanted - Perry Como 19.16 4 5 24
            6 Destiny - Johnnie Ray 16.35 3 8 15
            7 Wanted - Al Martino 15.15 3 6 21
            8 My Friend - Eddie Fisher 13.95 2 8 15
            9 The Story Of Three Loves / Moonlight Fiesta - Winifred Atwell 13.35 4 12 11
            10 Three Coins In The Fountain - The Four Aces 12.89 3 7 17
            11 Secret Love - Doris Day 11.60 3 10 14
            12 I Speak To The Stars / Blue Belles Of Broadway - Doris Day 10.00 1 14 10
            13 Idle Gossip - Perry Como 9.40 2 11 13
            14 Such A Night - Johnnie Ray 9.04 2 12 11
            15 The Charleston - Winifred Atwell 7.81 2 16 8
            16 I Get So Lonely - The Four Knights 7.54 2 15 9
            17 The Little Shoemaker - Petula Clark 4.42 1 17 6
            17 Don't Laugh At Me - Norman Wisdom 4.42 1 17 6
            19 Sway - Dean Martin 3.95 1 19 5
            19 The Nearness Of You - Bob Manning 3.95 1 19 5
            21 Shulie A Bop - Sarah Vaughan 3.59 1 21 4
            21 Young At Heart - Frank Sinatra 3.59 1 21 4
            21 Johnny Guitar - Peggy Lee 3.59 1 21 4
            21 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - The Four Lads 3.59 1 21 4
            25 Blue Pacific Blues - Rita Hayworth 3.29 1 25 3
            25 Changing Partners - Patti Page 3.29 1 25 3
            25 Friends And Neighbours - Max Bygraves 3.29 1 25 3
            25 Friends And Neighbours - Billy Cotton 3.29 1 25 3
            25 Sway - Tony Brent 3.29 1 25 3
            30 Let's Do It - Eartha Kitt 3.06 1 30 2
            30 Midnight - Eddie Calvert 3.06 1 30 2
            30 Make Love To Me - Alma Cogan 3.06 1 30 2
            30 The Happy Wanderer - The Obernkirchen Childrens Choir 3.06 1 30 2
            34 Never Never Land - Frank Weir 2.83 1 34 1
            34 Moonlight Serenade - Glenn Miller 2.83 1 34 1
            34 There Must Be A Reason / Some Day - Frankie Laine 2.83 1 34 1
            34 The Black Hills Of Dakota - Doris Day 2.83 1 34 1
            34 Jungle Drums - Earl Bostic 2.83 1 34 1
            * This was the first chart since 10th July 1954

Comment

It makes you wonder whatever happened to those three issues of Record Mirror that the British Library are missing. Is it possible that no issues of the newspaper were printed for those three weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                It makes you wonder whatever happened to those three issues of Record Mirror that the British Library are missing. Is it possible that no issues of the newspaper were printed for those three weeks?
                Maybe it's because they were the first issues because even the ones that were there had bits missing Robbie.

Comment

Start of the school summer holidays - maybe the paper boy's family had gone away? I know my Dad used to moan every school holiday when his paper didn't turn up!

Comment

Sorry, I started to raise a question re the Rita Hayworth record which I have now resolved!
                    Last edited by MyFriendJack; Thu August 11, 2022, 14:23.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFriendJack View Post
                      Sorry, I started to raise a question re the Rita Hayworth record which I have now resolved!
                      Yes, full credit is Morris Stoloff and the Columbia Studio Orchestra, Vocal by Rita Hayworth with the title 'Sadie Thompson's Song (Blue Pacific Blues)'

I think he does edit credits a little to fit all the info on.
                      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                        Good question Robbie, for this and other future similar situations. In the "Hits That Missed" book of RM breaker charts, the note says RM was not published for those 3 weeks in July 1954. One way to double check would be to compare the front cover issue numbers (upper left corner) before and after this 3 week period.

Brian, did you happen to note the cover issue numbers during your dealer chart gathering?

Comment

Good idea Robin, it was this way I discovered that No.1 was not published one July. Guess it’s possible to find out by calling BL.

Comment

Originally posted by RokinRobinOfLocksley View Post

Good question Robbie, for this and other future similar situations. In the "Hits That Missed" book of RM breaker charts, the note says RM was not published for those 3 weeks in July 1954. One way to double check would be to compare the front cover issue numbers (upper left corner) before and after this 3 week period.

Brian, did you happen to note the cover issue numbers during your dealer chart gathering?
                            I checked my notes that I took and should have read them more carefully initially when I though that these issues were missing. Colin was correct, as they were not published. Well spotted Robin.

Comment

The earliest WRH issue of Record Mirror dated 12-Feb-55 is numbered 32. If issue number one was 17-Jun-54 (Wikipedia) then, by my calculations, there were only 2 weeks inbetween when it was not published.

Edit - doing the calculation again it is 3'weeks. But I don't know if there was a Christmas week issue.
                              Last edited by Splodj; Thu August 11, 2022, 21:03.

Comment

Greetings Pop Pickers

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 14th August 1954

POS POS RECORD MIRROR CHART Re-Calculated Total Total Inv Inv
                                LAST THIS TOP 38 (Based On 7 Dealers Returns) Gallup Dealer Points Points
                                WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 14th August 1954) Points Charts Rank Scored
                                1 1 Little Things Mean A Lot - Kitty Kallen 46.08 6 2 50
                                2 2 Cara Mia - David Whitfield 44.71 6 1 51
                                4 3 Three Coins In The Fountain - Frank Sinatra 37.75 6 3 48
                                10 4 Three Coins In The Fountain - The Four Aces 31.72 5 5 39
                                13 5 Idle Gossip - Perry Como 29.26 6 4 40
                                3 6 My Friend - Frankie Laine 26.24 5 6 34
                                7 7 Wanted - Al Martino 18.81 4 7 26
                                5 8 Wanted - Perry Como 17.98 4 8 24
                                6 9 Destiny - Johnnie Ray 14.48 4 9 16
                                NEW 10 Three Coins In The Fountain - Tony Brent 10.00 1 11 10
                                8 11 My Friend - Eddie Fisher 9.70 2 10 13
                                NEW 12 My Friend - Vera Lynn 7.04 1 12 9
                                NEW 12 The Book - David Whitfield 7.04 1 12 9
                                17 14 Don’t Laugh At Me - Norman Wisdom 6.65 2 14 6
                                NEW 15 Smile - Billy Daniels 6.42 2 17 5
                                NEW 15 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - Max Bygraves 6.42 2 17 5
                                9 17 Story Of Three Loves / Moonlight Fiesta - Winifred Atwell 6.11 2 21 4
                                15 18 The Charleston - Winifred Atwell 4.42 1 14 6
                                NEW 18 The Kid's Last Fight - Frankie Laine 4.42 1 14 6
                                34 20 Black Hills Of Dakota - Doris Day 3.95 1 17 5
                                NEW 20 I Should Care - Jeff Chandler 3.95 1 17 5
                                30 22 The Happy Wanderer - The Oberkirchen Childrens Choir 3.59 1 21 4
                                11 22 Secret Love - Doris Day 3.59 1 21 4
                                21 24 Johnny Guitar - Peggy Lee 3.29 1 24 3
                                30 24 Let's Do It - Eartha Kitt 3.29 1 24 3
                                NEW 24 Wait For Me Darling - Joan Regan 3.29 1 24 3
                                25 27 Blue Pacific Blues - Rita Hayworth 3.06 1 27 2
                                16 27 I Get So Lonely - The Four Knights 3.06 1 27 2
                                RE 27 Basin Street Blues - Louis Armstrong 3.06 1 27 2
                                RE 27 Knock On Wood - Danny Kaye 3.06 1 27 2
                                NEW 27 Hey Brother Pour The Wine - Dean Martin 3.06 1 27 2
                                NEW 27 April Showers - Al Jolson 3.06 1 27 2
                                NEW 33 Swinghouse - Gerry Mulligan 2.83 1 33 1
                                21 33 Shulie A Bop - Sarah Vaughan 2.83 1 33 1
                                19 33 Sway - Dean Martin 2.83 1 33 1
                                NEW 33 London Palladium Concert (LP) - Johnnie Ray 2.83 1 33 1
                                NEW 33 Back In The Old Routine - Bing Crosby and Donald O'Connor 2.83 1 33 1
                                NEW 33 Kitty In The Basket / Never Never Land - Diana Decker 2.83 1 33 1

Comment

'Black Hills Of Dakota' is a climber (34 to 20) rather than a new entry. I think I know the lyrics to all the songs from "Calamity Jane" off by heart!

Comment

• MrTibbs
                                    MrTibbs commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks Robbie. Have amended that. Calamity Jane one my favourite musicals of all time too.

According to discogs, Tony Brent - Three Coins in the Fountain has Sway on the flipside - you had Sway by Tony Brent at 25 on the 7th August making it a climber and not a new entry this week....

Comment

Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
                                    According to discogs, Tony Brent - Three Coins in the Fountain has Sway on the flipside - you had Sway by Tony Brent at 25 on the 7th August making it a climber and not a new entry this week....
                                    You are right... and not... Depending on your viewpoint. Sometimes records swap sides and are regarded as new, even being the same record. (1956, Lonnie Donegan, Lost John / Stewball for example) until it settles as a distinct side. For me, the records are both new - until it becomes a Double A-Side.

Comment

You are both correct, and so am I.

You will remember from the introduction that this is a record chart where both sides are considered part of the same record.

I omitted to explain the rationale behind naming split sides so let me explain now. The chart will name whichever side of a record is ranked on a dealer chart for that week.

So on 7th August only Sway was ranked in a dealer chart. Three Coins was not ranked on any dealer chart for this week so not named on the averaged chart to remain accurate to the dealer charts.
                                      The reverse happened on 14th August. Three Coins was ranked in a dealer chart and Sway was not so Three Coins got the credit and Sway not named again to remain accurate to the dealer charts.

Some might think well why not just always put both sides together anyway and credit both no matter which side is named. The reason why this is really difficult for this era is that it can be weeks sometimes even months before the second side charts and when this is the case it means you have to backtrack and amend the title of the previous charted side so the whole process becomes messy and confusing with increased tendency for errors. So it is much more simple and accurate to the dealer charts just to take the specific info for the week concerned. This does not affect the chart position of the record anyway so don't always get hung up on last week positions. The weekly chart is factual and last week positions just a guide to movements and newcomers.

But, If both sides are mentioned in dealer charts on the same week then both get credited. So for example if you look at the chart for 14th August you will see for Winifred Atwell that Story Of Three Loves and Moonlight Fiesta are named and coupled together because both sides were ranked on individual dealers charts for this week so both sides are named on the averaged chart.

My apologies for not explaining this at the outset guys thus causing a bit of confusion.

Comment

However I do support brain adding his comment. It is important given the significance of these new ground breaking charts that they are as accurate as possible. Given the complexity and amount of information and chart positions that I am working with and entering it is inevitable from time to time I may make an error. So if anyone following the charts notices anything strange which may be an error or they don't understand please flag it up to me in order that I can check it, amend it or explain it. I would rather you did than allow an error to stand.

I will post the next chart tomorrow guys.

Comment

Greetings Pop Pickers

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 21st August 1954

POS POS RECORD MIRROR CHART Re-Calculated Total Total Inv Inv
                                          LAST THIS TOP 45 (Based On 9 Dealers Returns) Gallup Dealer Points Points
                                          WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 21st August 1954) Points Charts Rank Scored
                                          1 1 Little Things Mean A Lot - Kitty Kallen 64.24 8 1 72
                                          3 2 Three Coins In The Fountain - Frank Sinatra 49.46 8 2 62
                                          2 3 Cara Mia - David Whitfield 45.25 7 3 54
                                          6 4 My Friend - Frankie Laine 42.09 8 4 52
                                          7 5 Wanted - Al Martino 27.17 6 5 37
                                          4 6 Three Coins In The Fountain - The Four Aces 27.14 4 6 30
                                          5 7 Idle Gossip - Perry Como 25.58 7 8 25
                                          8 8 Wanted - Perry Como 22.09 4 7 28
                                          33 9 Sway - Dean Martin 19.04 3 9 21
                                          22 10 Secret Love - Doris Day 17.64 4 10 20
                                          RE 11 Little Things Mean A Lot - Alma Cogan 14.99 2 11 17
                                          NEW 12 Sh-Boom - The Crew Cuts 12.17 3 12 13
                                          10 13 Three Coins In The Fountain / Sway - Tony Brent 10.00 1 14 10
                                          11 14 My Friend - Eddie Fisher 9.40 2 12 13
                                          15 15 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - Max Bygraves 6.89 2 17 7
                                          9 16 Destiny - Johnnie Ray 6.35 2 20 5
                                          RE 17 I Get So Lonely / Young At Heart - Bing Crosby 5.75 1 15 8
                                          RE 17 Never Never Land - Frank Weir 5.75 1 15 8
                                          NEW 19 Smile - David Whitfield 4.99 1 17 7
                                          17 19 Story Of Three Loves / Moonlight Fiesta - Winifred Atwell 4.99 1 17 7
                                          RE 21 Heart Of My Heart - Max Bygraves 3.95 1 20 5
                                          RE 21 Heart Of My Heart - The Four Aces 3.95 1 20 5
                                          RE 21 The Little Shoemaker - Petula Clark 3.95 1 20 5
                                          NEW 21 Just A Gigolo - Jaye P. Morgan 3.95 1 20 5
                                          15 21 Smile - Billy Daniels 3.95 1 20 5
                                          NEW 26 The Bandit - Henry Leca 3.59 1 26 4
                                          RE 26 Some Day - Frankie Laine 3.59 1 26 4
                                          NEW 26 Wait For Me Darling - Georgia Gibbs 3.59 1 26 4
                                          24 26 Wait For Me Darling - Joan Regan 3.59 1 26 4
                                          RE 30 Friends And Neighbours - Billy Cotton 3.29 1 30 3
                                          RE 30 Friends And Neighbours - Max Bygraves 3.29 1 30 3
                                          NEW 30 The Little Shoemaker - Alma Cogan 3.29 1 30 3
                                          NEW 30 Flamingo - Earl Bostic 3.29 1 30 3
                                          NEW 30 In The Chapel In The Moonlight - Kitty Kallen 3.29 1 30 3
                                          33 30 London Palladium Concert (LP) - Johnnie Ray 3.29 1 30 3
                                          27 36 I Get So Lonely - The Four Knights 3.06 1 36 2
                                          RE 36 Cross Over The Bridge - Patti Page 3.06 1 36 2
                                          RE 36 Such A Night - Johnnie Ray 3.06 1 36 2
                                          24 36 Johnny Guitar - Peggy Lee 3.06 1 36 2
                                          20 40 Black Hills Of Dakota - Doris Day 2.83 1 40 1
                                          RE 40 Young At Heart - Frank Sinatra 2.83 1 40 1
                                          NEW 40 The Story Of Tina - Ronnie Harris 2.83 1 40 1
                                          NEW 40 Man And Woman - Rosemary Clooney and Guy Mitchell 2.83 1 40 1
                                          NEW 40 After You've Gone - Frankie Laine 2.83 1 40 1
                                          NEW 40 Endless - Dickie Valentine 2.83 1 40 1

Comment

And we cannot assume that it is the A side that charts, particularly for short run records. According to Discogs that Betty Driver entry was the B side.

Comment

Originally posted by Splodj View Post
                                              And we cannot assume that it is the A side that charts, particularly for short run records. According to Discogs that Betty Driver entry was the B side.
                                              At that time of course records were still 'song' orientated. Although A and B sides were designated artists often recorded two popular songs of the time one on each record side and then the public often bought the record for whichever 'song' side they preferred. That is why for some time we will see both sides charting separately.

Comment

And with that, we have our first Top 40 UK chart !! A Top 45 at that, with much more to come. This is such a fab project Brian !!

Don't look now, but maybe one day you'll want to redo the Ultimate Chart in the same way, split sides together, all records from all charts appear. A Top 50+ all during the 60s. Yabba dabba !! Be still my beating heart, ha...

Comment

So we currently have unique (no ties) down to 16 for a 9-dealer chart. Wouldn't be surprised to get a top 20 once we get into double figures for the dealer charts There is only a top 11 using inverse points highlighting how using the Gallup points are improving things.
                                                  We also got a different no.1 for the 14th August chart.....
                                                  Last edited by braindeadpj; Sun August 14, 2022, 19:43.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X