THE RECORD MIRROR CHARTS - Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, and Extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RokinRobinOfLocksley View Post

Don't look now, but maybe one day you'll want to redo the Ultimate Chart in the same way, split sides together, all records from all charts appear. A Top 50+ all during the 60s. Yabba dabba !! Be still my beating heart, ha...
    To be honest, I disagree with redoing the UAC using this data as it cheapens the achievement of legacy of the UAC. I also don't think it would be a good idea to do a top 50 - after 1961 the only source for a top 50 would be the RR chart, the least accurate chart of all. It would be better to stick with a 30 throughout rather than have a 50 and then have to reduce it after 1961.

On the other hand, redoing it as the Ultimate Record Chart could possibly work. Keeping it as a separate entity to the UAC, a complementary chart rather than a replacement, would be the best idea, though I can understand if Brian didn't want to.

Comment

There is a whole lot of interesting information between number 30 and the bottom of the new RM Extended chart. Those that are not interested in all the new information may of course stop reading at number 30.
      The new RM Extended is the most accurate chart of this pre 61 era. Doing an average of the new RM chart and the other charts of this era would therefore in fact result in an average chart that would be less reliable than the RM Extended. That would be counterproductive, a real waste of Brian’s time.

Comment

And with that, we have our first Top 40 UK chart !! A Top 45 at that, with much more to come. This is such a fab project Brian !!
        I am really happy with the Gallup calculation results here. Although in slightly different order there is a consistency of records in the upper chart with NME which does demonstrate that largely the best selling records were the same in both charts.

Yes week on week now the store numbers will increase. This will do 2 things. Begin to cascade most ties to the lower end of the chart and reduce some of the extreme yoyo effect you see with records. A more stable chart will be evidenced.

Yeah we are around a Top 40 now and just look at all those new hits making the grade for the first time. It really is a thrill to discover these new additions week after week shaping a comprehensive chart for the time.

Enjoy guys. I am
        The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Biggest Chart Of The Time

Comment

6 groovy things, easy for me to say, ha:

--I wasn't suggesting Brian redo the Ultimate Chart with the new RM dealer combo chart, I hadn't even thought of that eye deer yet. But that is an interesting concept, ha...

--What I was throwing out was the idea that by doing this RM dealer combo chart, Brian might later get an itch for another bigger bolder Super Duper Ultimate Chart, with the same 5 majors, but extend it from a Top 30 to all positions, 50+, whatever that would be, AND combine A/B sides together. Just an idea, dreaming, thinking outside the box, no pressure whatsoever. Brian is his own man, he will do what he wants to do, and we can only stand back in awe and appreciation...

--Maybe even throw in those other 2 minor charts, Mersey Beat/Music Echo (a Top 100 chart Dec 1964 to Apr 66), and Top Pops/Music Now (a Top 30 1968-71). I know, I'm dreaming...

--Or, don't calculate a new Big Bold Ultimate Chart, just line up the 5 major charts with the 2 minor charts plus the BBC. Maybe throw in the Pop Weekly average chart as well. I'd say throw in the EMI average chart too, but I've never seen those, except for the weekly #1's.

--Question: while we're here, was Mersey Beat/Music Echo a true national chart? Per Alan Smith, it started out as a regional publication in 1961, going to national distribution in 1963. Starting with a Top 20 bi-weekly chart in 1962, becoming a weekly chart in 1964, then by Dec 1964 it went to a Top 100. Unlikely that it was based on more than 50-80 sampled shop returns at best. I just can't tell from Alan's writing if it was a true national chart or remained a regional chart. One of you guys should know this off the top of your head...

--But, RR was NOT the only Top 50 chart after 1961. Melody Maker was a published Top 50 chart from 15-Sep-1962 to 25-Mar-1967, calculated but unpublished as a Top 50 from then to 13-Sep-1969, and again published (though only carried in Music Business Weekly) from 20-Sep-1969 to sometime in early Feb/Mar 1971. Plus Disc carried a Top 50 for about a year, from 23-Apr-1966 to 25-Mar-1967. So that's at least 2 more Top 50 charts in the mix with RR.

Don't throw rocks !!

Comment

6 groovy things, easy for me to say, ha:

--But, RR was NOT the only Top 50 chart after 1961. Melody Maker was a published Top 50 chart from 15-Sep-1962 to 25-Mar-1967, calculated but unpublished as a Top 50 from then to 13-Sep-1969, and again published (though only carried in Music Business Weekly) from 20-Sep-1969 to sometime in early Feb/Mar 1971. Plus Disc carried a Top 50 for about a year, from 23-Apr-1966 to 25-Mar-1967. So that's at least 2 more Top 50 charts in the mix with RR.

Don't throw rocks !!
            Yes I'd forgotten that MM had a top 50 for some of the time, but RR is the only one for 'all' the time.

Comment

There are two problems connected with Music Echo. Firstly they were rumoured to have beat music higher up their charts than other charts did, which may be caused by a too heavy representation of local shops in the Mersey area. What trouble me more was that they several times changed the number of positions in their charts, varying between 50, 75 and 100. Some of the variations seemed to be affected by summer low and winter high sales. Searching for NON-Guinness hits of different charts is interesting and timeconsuming. The best published extras of this sort is to be found in kingofskiffles Library 70 years of UK single hits where he includes the charts from MM, NME, Pop Weekly and Top Pop / Music Now.

Comment

Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post

Yes I'd forgotten that MM had a top 50 for some of the time, but RR is the only one for 'all' the time.
                and there was the tragedy that haunts us today because if Melody Maker had consistently launched a Top Fifty throughout the entire sixties then the RR chart might have been elbowed aside as the chart of choice. RR only became such because of its consistent Top 50 places throughout the decade.

Comment

Greetings Pop Pickers

The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated Re-Worked Extended

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 28th August 1954

POS POS RECORD MIRROR CHART Re-Calculated Total Total Inv Inv
                  LAST THIS TOP 42 (Based On 8 Dealers Returns) Gallup Dealer Points Points
                  WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 28th August 1954) Points Charts Rank Scored
                  1 1 Little Things Mean A Lot - Kitty Kallen 55.73 8 1 68
                  2 2 Three Coins In The Fountain - Frank Sinatra 52.48 7 2 60
                  4 3 My Friend - Frankie Laine 44.12 7 4 49
                  3 4 Cara Mia - David Whitfield 41.66 8 3 50
                  5 5 Wanted - Al Martino 37.56 8 4 49
                  6 6 Three Coins In The Fountain - The Four Aces 28.53 4 6 35
                  14 7 My Friend - Eddie Fisher 17.04 2 8 19
                  7 8 Idle Gossip - Perry Como 16.27 4 7 21
                  NEW 9 Smile / Make Her Mine - Nat King Cole 13.46 3 9 14
                  12 10 Sh-Boom - The Crew Cuts 13.23 4 10 12
                  15 11 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - Max Bygraves 10.76 3 12 11
                  21 12 Smile - Billy Daniels 10.01 3 13 9
                  11 13 Little Thins Mean A Lot - Alma Cogan 8.83 2 10 12
                  26 14 Wait For Me Darling - Joan Regan 7.24 2 16 8
                  NEW 15 Mulher Rendeira(The Bandit) - Coro Mixto 7.04 1 13 9
                  26 15 The Bandit - Henry Leca 7.04 1 13 9
                  10 17 Secret Love - Doris Day 6.78 2 21 6
                  30 18 Johnnie Ray At The Palladium (LP) - Johnnie Ray 6.42 2 23 5
                  40 19 Black Hills Of Dakota - Doris Day 6.35 2 23 5
                  NEW 20 Smile - Frank Chacksfield 4.99 1 17 7
                  8 20 Wanted - Perry Como 4.99 1 17 7
                  13 20 Three Coins In The Fountain - Tony Brent 4.99 1 17 7
                  36 20 Such A Night - Johnnie Ray 4.99 1 17 7
                  RE 24 I Should Care - Jeff Chandler 4.42 1 21 6
                  NEW 25 Mom-e-le - Issy Bonn 3.95 1 23 5
                  NEW 25 Carnegie Hall Concert 1938 (LP) - Benny Goodman 3.95 1 23 5
                  NEW 27 China Doll - Slim Whitman 3.59 1 27 4
                  NEW 27 How Do You Speak To An Angel - Eddie Fisher 3.59 1 27 4
                  NEW 29 Sh-Boom - The Johnston Brothers 3.29 1 29 3
                  21 29 Just A Gigolo - Jaye P. Morgan 3.29 1 29 3
                  26 29 Wait For Me Darling - Georgia Gibbs 3.29 1 29 3
                  21 32 Heart Of My Heart - The Four Aces 3.06 1 32 2
                  21 32 Heart Of My Heart - Max Bygraves 3.06 1 32 2
                  NEW 32 Don't Laugh At Me - Norman Wisdom 3.06 1 32 2
                  NEW 32 Little Things Mean A Lot - Jimmy Young 3.06 1 32 2
                  21 32 The Little Shoemaker - Petula Clark 3.06 1 32 2
                  RE 37 Blue Pacific Blues - Rita Hayworth 2.83 1 37 1
                  30 37 Friends And Neighbours - Billy Cotton 2.83 1 37 1
                  30 37 Friends And Neighbours - Max Bygraves 2.83 1 37 1
                  RE 37 The Glenn Miller Story (LP) - Glenn Miller 2.83 1 37 1
                  RE 37 Knock On Wood - Danny Kaye 2.83 1 37 1
                  26 37 Some Day - Frankie Laine 2.83 1 37 1

Comment

Oooh 4 LP’s!
                    http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• MrTibbs
                      MrTibbs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lmao ... Don't get too excited now

Norman Wisdom is actually a re-entry.

Comment

Norman Wisdom is actually a re-entry.
                      From here on in I'm actually going to make all returning hits New Entries again brain because so many of these early hits keep coming and going and keeping track of so many and backtracking through weeks of charts to check if it already charted is hugely time intensive with odd ones slipping through the net. It was either that or stop posting last week positions at all but I decided we liked to see those.

So if it is new again to the chart then it is a New Entry

Comment

Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post

From here on in I'm actually going to make all returning hits New Entries again brain because so many of these early hits keep coming and going and keeping track of so many and backtracking through weeks of charts to check if it already charted is hugely time intensive with odd ones slipping through the net. It was either that or stop posting last week positions at all but I decided we liked to see those.

So if it is new again to the chart then it is a New Entry
                        OK. So probably no point mentioning when records are a re-entry anymore. I'll stop doing so.

Comment

OK. So probably no point mentioning when records are a re-entry anymore. I'll stop doing so.
                          I honestly, like I said a few posts ago, don't mind corrections being pointed out. It's good for the chart accuracy and these are welcomed at all times. But given the volume of re-entries at this time because the chart is much longer it is so much more difficult to keep track of them all for accuracy whereas just having everything new to the chart for that week concerned keeps it simple and correct.

it could be weeks and sometimes longer before a record re-appears again which means backtracking through lots of previous charts for each entry to see if it is new or not and even with this some are still slipping through.

Comment

I respect the decision. The most important is to compile the RM Extended. Anything that hampers so doing must be stopped. I know from experience that avoiding faults while checking re-entries on a chart with many positions is timeconsuming and it’s impossible to get everything right while compiling. However, the faults will be detected when someone afterwards uses the compiled chart to produce a Guinness style set up with artists alphabetically and hits under each artist chronologically.

Comment

Greetings Pop Pickers

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 4th September 1954

LAST THIS TOP 40 (Based On 11 Dealers Returns) Gallup Dealer Points Points
                              WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 4th September 1954) Points Charts Rank Scored
                              2 1 Three Coins In The Fountain - Frank Sinatra 72.15 11 1 84
                              1 2 Little Things Mean A Lot - Kitty Kallen 61.47 8 3 70
                              4 3 Cara Mia - David Whitfield 58.03 11 2 74
                              9 4 Smile / Make Her Mine - Nat King Cole 35.72 6 4 43
                              3 5 My Friend - Frankie Laine 34.76 9 5 38
                              5 6 Wanted - Al Martino 29.54 6 6 33
                              # 7 Hold My Hand - Don Cornell 23.95 3 7 25
                              # 8 Dixieland - Winifred Atwell 18.44 4 9 19
                              # 9 The Story Of Tina - Ronnie Harris 18.11 5 11 18
                              13 10 Little Things Mean A Lot - Alma Cogan 17.04 2 9 19
                              8 11 Idle Gossip - Perry Como 16.38 4 8 21
                              20 12 Wanted - Perry Como 15.37 4 11 18
                              19 13 Black Hills Of Dakota - Doris Day 14.19 4 14 15
                              6 14 Three Coins In The Fountain - The Four Aces 12.79 2 13 17
                              10 15 Sh-Boom - The Crew Cuts 12.46 4 19 9
                              7 16 My Friend - Eddie Fisher 9.40 2 15 13
                              # 17 Smile - David Whitfield 9.04 2 16 11
                              # 18 Story Of Three Loves / Moonlight Fiesta - Winifred Atwell 8.58 2 16 11
                              20 19 Such A Night - Johnnie Ray 8.28 2 18 10
                              32 20 The Little Shoemaker - Petula Clark 7.24 2 24 7
                              15 21 Mulher Rendeira (The Bandit) - Coro Mixto 7.04 1 19 9
                              # 22 Sway - Dean Martin 6.89 2 24 7
                              # 23 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - The Four Lads 6.78 2 26 6
                              # 23 Young At Heart - Frank Sinatra 6.78 2 26 6
                              37 25 Some Day - Frankie Laine 6.35 2 30 5
                              11 26 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - Max Bygraves 6.12 2 31 4
                              15 27 The Bandit - Henry Leca 5.75 1 21 8
                              24 27 I Should Care - Jeff Chandler 5.75 1 21 8
                              # 27 The Little Shoemaker - Alma Cogan 5.75 1 21 8
                              # 30 The Bandit - The Johnston Brothers 4.42 1 26 6
                              # 30 I Get So Lonely - The Four Knights 4.42 1 26 6
                              # 32 How Do You Speak To An Angel - Dean Martin 3.59 1 31 4
                              # 33 Sway - Tony Brent 3.29 1 33 3
                              # 33 West Of Zanzibar - Anthony Steele and Radio Revellers 3.29 1 33 3
                              # 35 Destiny - Johnnie Ray 3.06 1 35 2
                              # 35 The Bandit - Billy Shepherd 3.06 1 35 2
                              17 35 Secret Love - Doris Day 3.06 1 35 2
                              37 38 Friends And Neighbours - Billy Cotton 2.83 1 38 1
                              # 38 Two Kinds Of Tears - Joan Regan 2.83 1 38 1
                              # 38 The Charleston - Winifred Atwell 2.83 1 38 1

Comment

11 dealers and only a top 40 and the first tie at 23. There seems to be better agreement between the dealers than in the previous weeks.

Comment

11 dealers and only a top 40 and the first tie at 23. There seems to be better agreement between the dealers than in the previous weeks.
                                  Yeah brain the dealers now increase week by week and you will see much more stability at the top end of the chart in particular.

Comment

Yes, I've noticed that there is some stability at the top end of the charts. I wonder if Record Mirror was making a big effort at this point to recruit more dealers ahead of launching a chart at some point (which turned out to be the following January).

Comment

I have decided to mention what are re-entries as a matter of record. If not interested, please ignore.
                                      For the 4/9/1954 chart, re-entries are.
                                      9. The Story of Tina - Ronnie Harris
                                      17. Smile - David Whitfield
                                      18. Story Of Three Loves / Moonlight Fiesta - Winifred Atwell
                                      22. Sway - Dean Martin
                                      23. Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - The Four Lads
                                      23. Young At Heart - Frank Sinatra
                                      27. The Little Shoemaker - Alma Cogan
                                      30. I Get So Lonely - The Four Knights
                                      33. Sway - Tony Brent (again switching with Three Coins in the Fountain its flipside)
                                      33. West Of Zanzibar - Anthony Steele and Radio Revellers
                                      35. Destiny - Johnnie Ray
                                      38. The Charleston - Winifred Atwell

Also note that 38. Two Kinds Of Tears - Joan Regan is the flipside to Wait For Me Darling (which was on the chart last week)

Comment

Greetings Pop Pickers

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 11th September 1954

LAST THIS TOP 49 (Based On 13 Dealers Returns) Gallup Dealer Points Points
                                        WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 11th September 1954) Points Charts Rank Scored
                                        2 1 Little Things Mean A Lot - Kitty Kallen 77.71 13 1 96
                                        7 2 Hold My Hand - Don Cornell 77.04 8 3 79
                                        4 3 Smile / Make Her Mine - Nat King Cole 73.85 10 2 84
                                        3 4 Cara Mia - David Whitfield 44.35 9 4 50
                                        1 5 Three Coins In The Fountain - Frank Sinatra 40.52 8 4 50
                                        5 6 My Friend - Frankie Laine 32.40 8 6 41
                                        6 7 Wanted - Al Martino 25.74 7 7 28
                                        25 8 Some Day / There Must Be A Reason - Frankie Laine 21.99 5 9 25
                                        8 9 Dixieland - Winifred Atwell 21.79 6 10 23
                                        14 10 Three Coins In The Fountain - The Four Aces 21.36 4 8 26
                                        15 11 Sh-Boom - The Crew Cuts 19.78 6 15 17
                                        11 12 Idle Gossip - Perry Como 19.17 5 12 20
                                        22 13 Sway - Dean Martin 18.88 5 11 21
                                        33 14 Three Coins In The Fountain / Sway - Tony Brent 15.62 3 12 20
                                        26 15 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - Max Bygraves 15.09 3 12 20
                                        16 16 My Friend - Eddie Fisher 11.42 3 16 13
                                        9 17 The Story Of Tina - Ronnie Harris 11.41 3 17 12
                                        13 18 Black Hills Of Dakota - Doris Day 10.60 3 19 11
                                        20 19 The Little Shoemaker - Petula Clark 10.33 2 17 12
                                        10 20 Little Things Mean A Lot - Alma Cogan 7.04 1 20 9
                                        27 20 The Bandit - Henry Leca 7.04 1 20 9
                                        # 20 Smile - Billy Daniels 7.04 1 20 9
                                        # 23 The Happy Wanderer - The Obernkirchen Children's Choir 6.12 2 31 4
                                        # 23 Wait For Me Darling - Joan Regan 6.12 2 31 4
                                        # 23 River Of No Return - Tennessee Ernie Ford 6.12 2 31 4
                                        35 26 Secret Love - Doris Day 5.75 1 23 8
                                        # 26 Skin Deep - Duke Ellington 5.75 1 23 8
                                        18 28 Story Of Three Loves - Winifred Atwell 4.99 1 25 7
                                        # 28 Flamingo - Earl Bostic 4.99 1 25 7
                                        30 30 The Bandit - The Johnston Brothers 4.42 1 27 6
                                        27 30 I Should Care - Jeff Chandler 4.42 1 27 6
                                        # 32 Smile - Frank Chacksfield 3.95 1 29 5
                                        # 32 The Magic Tango - Tony Brent 3.95 1 29 5
                                        23 34 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - The Four Lads 3.59 1 31 4
                                        # 34 Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt 3.59 1 31 4
                                        # 34 Crazy 'Bout Ya Baby - The Johnston Brothers 3.59 1 31 4
                                        # 34 The Bell Bottom Boogie - Merrill Moore 3.59 1 31 4
                                        21 38 Mulher Rendeira (The Bandit) - Coro Mixto 3.29 1 38 3
                                        # 38 Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer - George Elrick 3.29 1 38 3
                                        32 38 How Do You Speak To An Angel - Dean Martin 3.29 1 38 3
                                        19 41 Such A Night - Johnnie Ray 3.06 1 41 2
                                        # 41 Two Mozart Piano Concertos Nos 15 And 18 (LP) - Ingrid Haebler 3.06 1 41 2
                                        # 41 Mambolino - Earl Bostic 3.06 1 41 2
                                        12 44 Wanted - Perry Como 2.83 1 44 1
                                        17 44 Smile - David Whitfield 2.83 1 44 1
                                        # 44 Dill Pickles - Winifred Atwell 2.83 1 44 1
                                        33 44 West Of Zanzibar - Anthony Steele and The Radio Revellers 2.83 1 44 1
                                        # 44 The Happy Wanderer - Frank Weir 2.83 1 44 1
                                        35 44 The Bandit - Billy Shepard 2.83 1 44 1

Comment

I understand your reasons for excepting re-entries, Mr. Tibbs. I know from my own research how demanding it is to seek those. As you say it can be weeks and even months back.
                                          If you find it appropriate within these frames, Mr. Tibbs, I can support the idea from braindeadpj in filling in those re-entries if he can find the time to so. And his inputs could save you a lot of work and still make the charts fully authentic.
                                          Still, no matter how you decide, I think you're doing a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by ACA View Post
                                            I understand your reasons for excepting re-entries, Mr. Tibbs. I know from my own research how demanding it is to seek those. As you say it can be weeks and even months back.
                                            If you find it appropriate within these frames, Mr. Tibbs, I can support the idea from braindeadpj in filling in those re-entries if he can find the time to so. And his inputs could save you a lot of work and still make the charts fully authentic.
                                            Still, no matter how you decide, I think you're doing a great job!
                                            Thanks for the commendation ACA . Knowing that so many guys view and follow these charts is what makes it all worthwhile.

Your suggestion certainly has merit with me to supplement the chart data.

Brain, has a keen eye for these kind of details and I'm more than happy for him to follow each chart by identifying the re-entries if he doesn't mind taking this task on board to help. It maximises my time to concentrate on compiling the charts accurately a herculean task on its own.

So over to you brain if you are happy to take this on board ?

Comment

Thanks for the commendation ACA . Knowing that so many guys view and follow these charts is what makes it all worthwhile.

Your suggestion certainly has merit with me to supplement the chart data.

Brain, has a keen eye for these kind of details and I'm more than happy for him to follow each chart by identifying the re-entries if he doesn't mind taking this task on board to help. It maximises my time to concentrate on compiling the charts accurately a herculean task on its own.

So over to you brain if you are happy to take this on board ?
                                              I can understand why Mr Tibbs doesn't want to spend the extra time while compiling the charts, but since I'm adding everything into a week-by week chart run spreadsheet, it does make it a little easier to spot re-entries (assuming I spelled everything right the first time/this time and there aren't too many covers)! I'll do my best to provide updates of what are re-entries as close to the original chart as possible, but as they get bigger it may take longer, but I'm happy to generate a post whenever possible detailing this. I will also try and point out split sides too (as some are swapping back and forth week by week at the moment (with some weeks showing both sides and then just one of them the next!)
                                              Last edited by braindeadpj; Wed August 17, 2022, 17:00.

Comment

I can understand why Mr Tibbs doesn't want to spend the extra time while compiling the charts, but since I'm adding everything into a week-by week chart run spreadsheet, it does make it a little easier to spot re-entries (assuming I spelled everything right the first time/this time and there aren't too many covers)! I'll do my best to provide updates of what are re-entries as close to the original chart as possible, but as they get bigger it may take longer, but I'm happy to generate a post whenever possible detailing this. I will also try and point out split sides too (as some are swapping back and forth week by week at the moment (with some weeks showing both sides and then just one of them the next!)
                                                Thanks brain for agreeing to run with this extra info for the guys.

On the split sides let me explain again.
                                                Forget sides and think record. On some weeks the dealer charts report on one side of the record being in their top tens. Where this is the case I report exactly what the dealer charts say and just list this title on the chart. Other weeks the other side of the record is listed and when this happens it is this side I list on the chart. But then some weeks both titles of the record are recorded in dealers charts so again I report simply on what they say and print and credit both titles.

This does not affect the record's chart position in any way.

Comment

Thanks brain for agreeing to run with this extra info for the guys.

On the split sides let me explain again.
                                                  Forget sides and think record. On some weeks the dealer charts report on one side of the record being in their top tens. Where this is the case I report exactly what the dealer charts say and just list this title on the chart. Other weeks the other side of the record is listed and when this happens it is this side I list on the chart. But then some weeks both titles of the record are recorded in dealers charts so again I report simply on what they say and print and credit both titles.

This does not affect the record's chart position in any way.
                                                  Yes. All you can do is list what the dealer charts show. No more than that is expected.
                                                  However, there are several instances where for only a week (or 2 so far) the flipside has also been referred to - including the current no.1 on the 7/8/1954 chart.
                                                  There is also yo-yoing between sides in some cases: Tony Brent has alternated from week to week with Sway, Three Coins, both, Three Coins, Sway, both. On a record chart, Tony Brent would have a position every week, while on a song chart they would be dropping on and off. By listing the two in adjacent rows and merging the squares when both sides are referred to a consistent run can be reflected in my spreadsheet (with information about which side or both charted each week). I was just planning on mentioning when this kind of situation arises (that we know of). If the flipside charts months after the original side, then it is less likely that we will see any flipping.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X