Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE RECORD MIRROR Singles Charts 1954 to 1961 - Revised Re-Calculated And Extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're welcome. Always happy to help as a safety net to catch any errors as you strive to produce the most accurate and correct chart possible...

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated Re-Worked Extended.

This chart is compiled from all the dealers charts printed for this week in the Record Mirror at the time and therefore may slightly differ from Record Mirror's own chart compilation methodology for their own Top Ten which remains unknown to us.
      This is therefore a factual and an accurate representation of the information contained within all of the dealers charts available to us in the paper.

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 11th June 1955

POS POS RECORD MIRROR CHART Re-Calculated RM Total Total Total Inv Inv
      LAST THIS TOP 70 (Based On 39 Dealers Returns) Own Gallup Dealer Dealer Points Points
      WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 11th June 1955) Chart Points Charts No 1's Rank Scored
      4 1 Unchained Melody - Al Hibbler 1 201.48 30 9 2 233
      1 2 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Eddie Calvert * 2 196.02 33 6 1 235
      3 3 Earth Angel - The Crew Cuts 3 145.07 30 1 3 185
      2 4 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Perez Prado * 4 140.64 24 2 4 179
      5 5 Stranger In Paradise - Tony Bennett 6 133.61 21 4 5 156
      7 6 Unchained Melody - Jimmy Young 7 114.18 16 7 7 126
      8 7 If You Believe / Alexander's Ragtime Band - Johnnie Ray 5 114.09 24 1 6 142
      12 8 Dreamboat - Alma Cogan 9 78.75 19 8 81
      11 9 Stranger In Paradise - Tony Martin 8 64.35 10 3 9 74
      6 10 Stranger In Paradise - The Four Aces 10 57.50 10 2 10 65
      9 11 Unchained Melody - Les Baxter 56.56 10 2 11 64
      17 12 Sincerely - The McGuire Sisters 54.75 14 12 61
      10 13 Give Me Your Word - Tennessee Ernie Ford 48.89 13 13 51
      20 14 Softly Softly - Ruby Murray 30.37 7 1 16 29
      13 15 You My Love - Frank Sinatra 29.50 8 15 32
      16 16 Ready Willing And Able / You My Love - Doris Day 29.24 8 16 29
      19 17 Sing It With Joe - Joe 'Mr Piano' Henderson 28.64 5 1 14 33
      26 18 Where Will The Dimple Be - Rosemary Clooney 26.55 7 16 29
      33 19 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 21.46 6 21 19
      30 20 Stranger In Paradise - Bing Crosby 21.03 5 19 24
      18 21 Serenade / Drinking Song - Mario Lanza 20.37 6 21 19
      22 22 Dreamboat - The De Marco Sisters 18.64 4 20 23
      14 23 Wedding Bells - Eddie Fisher 16.95 5 25 16
      24 24 Two Hearts Two Kisses / Unchained Melody - The Crew Cuts 15.75 2 1 23 18
      29 25 Melody Of Love - The Ink Spots 15.29 5 30 10
      21 26 Crazy Otto Rag / Hey Mr Banjo - The Stargazers 14.36 4 26 15
      39 27 Pride Of Erin Waltz / Irish Military Two-Step- Bobby McLeod 13.59 2 1 27 14
      42 28 Everywhere / Mama - David Whitfield 13.26 3 24 17
      39 29 Tomorrow - Johnny Brandon 13.00 4 28 11
      # 30 Elephant Tango - Ray Martin 11.10 3 28 11
      15 31 Under The Bridges Of Paris - Eartha Kitt 9.71 3 33 8
      # 32 The Man That Got Away - Judy Garland 9.17 3 40 6
      # 33 Because Of You - Sammy Davis Jnr 8.80 2 30 10
      36 34 Tweedle Dee - Frankie Vaughan 8.04 2 32 9
      34 35 Caribbean - Mitchell Torok 7.24 2 33 8
      48 36 Sluefoot - The Four Aces 7.01 2 36 7
      36 37 I Wonder - Dickie Valentine 6.89 2 36 7
      28 38 Melody Of Love - The Four Aces 6.65 2 40 6
      39 39 Dance With Me Henry - Georgia Gibbs 6.35 2 46 5
      48 40 Chee Chee Oo Chee - The Johnston Brothers 6.11 2 49 4
      36 41 Stranger In Paradise - Don Cornell 5.75 1 33 8
      31 42 Chee Chee Oo Chee - Alma Cogan 5.65 2 58 2
      # 42 I Wonder - Jane Froman 5.65 2 58 2
      42 44 Losing You - Tennessee Ernie Ford 4.99 1 36 7
      # 44 Let Me Go Lover - Ruby Murray 4.99 1 36 7
      32 46 Prize Of Gold - Joan Regan 4.42 1 40 6
      42 46 Flip Flop And Fly - Johnnie Ray 4.42 1 40 6
      # 46 Salad Days (LP) - Original London Cast 4.42 1 40 6
      # 46 My Loving Hands - Ronnie Hilton 4.42 1 40 6
      # 50 When I Leave The World Behind - Tony Brent 3.95 1 46 5
      # 50 Crazy Otto Rag - Petula Clark 3.95 1 46 5
      25 52 Crazy Otto Rag - The Big Ben Banjo Band 3.59 1 49 4
      # 52 Stowaway - Barbara Lyon 3.59 1 49 4
      # 52 You'll Always Be My Lifetime Sweetheart - Perry Como 3.59 1 49 4
      27 55 I'll Walk With God - Mario Lanza 3.29 1 53 3
      # 55 Dance With Me Henry - Jean Campbell 3.29 1 53 3
      # 55 Our Old Pi-anna - Marie Benson 3.29 1 53 3
      # 55 Open Up Your Heart - The Cowboy Church Sunday School 3.29 1 53 3
      # 55 Where Will The Dimple Be - Lorrae Desmond 3.29 1 53 3
      48 60 Under The Bridges Of Paris - Dean Martin 3.06 1 58 2
      # 60 I'm In Favour Of Friendship - The Five Smith Brothers 3.06 1 58 2
      # 60 Roamin' In The Gloamin' - Eric Delaney 3.06 1 58 2
      # 60 Kismet (LP) - Original Broadway Cast 3.06 1 58 2
      # 60 I Love Paris (LP) - Michel Legrand 3.06 1 58 2
      # 60 Unchained Melody - Don Cornell 3.06 1 58 2
      # 66 Close Your Eyes - Tony Bennett 2.83 1 66 1
      48 66 How Important Can It Be - Joni James 2.83 1 66 1
      # 66 The Pendulum Song - Max Bygraves 2.83 1 66 1
      # 66 Open Up The Doghouse - Dean Martin and Nat King Cole 2.83 1 66 1
      # 66 Tweedle Dee - Alma Cogan 2.83 1 66 1
      * On the Dealer Chart by McComick they listed Cherry Pink By Eddie Calvert at No 4 and No 8. Obviously one of those should have been credited to Perez Prado. So I added then divided both sets of points and awarded No 6 points to both to achieve a fair outcome as neither record was didadvanged in respect of chart position with this points allocation.
      The Record Mirror Singles Chart 1954 - 1961 Revised Re-Calculated And Extended

The Biggest Chart Of The Fifties

Comment

• Al Hibbler rebounds to capture No 1, just, from Eddie Calvert leaving Jimmy Young's main competitor version just easing up to No 6.

Comment

• So I wonder if there had been more returns last week yer actual RM chart would have put Calvert top. As things stand the score for weeks of Cherry Pink being number one is: NME-6 RM-0. And now we have the argument about which Unchained Melody version ruled. Apart from the 2 weeks of agreement on Tony Bennett, this was a prolonged period of number one dispute between the two charts.

Comment

• According to Russell Ash, Luke Crampton, and Barry Lazell's excellent book detailing bestselling singles these were 1955's best selling records of the year (within the year)

1 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman
            2 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets
            3 Give Me Your Word - Tennessee Ernie Ford
            4 Softly Softly - Ruby Murray
            5 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Perez Prado
            6 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Eddie Calvert
            7 Unchained Melody - Jimmy Young
            8 Cool Water - Frankie LAINE
            9 Stranger In Paradise - Tony Bennett
            10 Unchained Melody - Al Hibbler

Comment

• Again, the Top 10 is the same records between RM and the RM extended chart, but there are some differences in order. The top 4 are identical (though wouldn't be on inverse points!). Weirdly RM's column seems to imply that Al Hibbler may have been no.1 last week (though that is perhaps open to interpretation) since it says "'Unchanged' remains so. This is the 'Melody' that refuses to be chained. And to blind singer AL HIBBLER, congratulations .... he stubbornly - and deservedly - retains his hold in this distinguished Top Ten list."
              "Jimmy Young .. is doing splendidly of course, but he still has to bow down to eighth place under Hibbler."
              "Stranger in Paradise" is another "obstinate' success and 3 versions are in the Top Ten, with Tony Bennett's a few points ahead of Tony Martin (our chart suggests its twice as many!) who however pips "The Four Aces" at 10"
              "Popularity of Joe Henderson's "Sing It With Joe" is well established now, although it just misses the Top Ten, but the way it is selling and the way repeat orders are flowing in , it wouldn't surprise us if, in a week or two's time, it will be included in the distinguished T.T. list above."
              "Persistently successful is Cherry Pink, with Eddie Calvert, now right bang in no.2, having passed Perez Prado along the straight and heading for the winning post."
              They can't stop buying Johnnie Ray!"

So no real new information about positions outside the top 10 - except for Joe Henderson 'being close'.... (He climbs to 17 on the extended chart).

RM spotlights Dreamboat - Alma Cogan.

And of course there is the comment that Mr Tibbs posted earlier about someone writing in about the authenticity of the RM chart compared to one 'dreamed up by people who only think they know what's selling"...
              Last edited by braindeadpj; Fri December 2, 2022, 03:39.

Comment

• 11/06/1955
                The number of dealers increases to its highest yet (39), while the number of records only increases to 70. Disparity therefore decreases to 1.54 (40% from 1 dealer). There are 14 different no.1s this week (each appearing on an average of 2.93 dealers) with Al Hibbler – Unchained Melody only being no.1 on around 23% of the dealers…. Unchained Melody is no.1 on the most dealers (18 for 3 different versions), followed by Stranger in Paradise (9 dealers from 3 records) and Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White (8 dealers from 2 records). The Crew Cuts are no.1 on 2 dealer charts with 2 different records. Al Hibbler is no.1 without appearing on the most dealers - 30 (76.9%) while Eddie Calvert is on 33 (84.6%; actually an increase in percentage compared to last week). Average dealer scores increased for Al Hibbler (6.72 [7.77] from 6.23 [7.77]), Eddie Calvert (5.94 [7.12] from 5.58 [6.71]), and The Crew Cuts (4.84 [6.17] from 4.49 [5.42]), but declined for Perez Prado (5.86 [7.46] from 6.13 [7.43]) and Tony Bennett (6.36 [7.43] from 7.19 [7.55]).
                The highest position by a record from a single dealer is no.3 by Don Cornell’s version of Stranger in Paradise. Note that both Two Hearts Two Kisses (Makes One Love) – The Crew Cuts and Irish Military Two Step - Bobby McLeod and his Band are no.1 on 1 dealer, but their flipsides Unchained Melody and Pride of Erin Waltz are no. 3 and 7, respectively on another.
                Record on the chart the longest is Give Me Your Word for 30 non-consecutive weeks (22 consecutive; 4 weeks were shared with River of No Return and 3 weeks were only River of No Return) and 23 consecutive weeks for I’ll Walk With God - Mario Lanza (13 nonconsecutive weeks shared with flipside Beloved) (Note Drinking Song - Mario Lanza also has 23 consecutive weeks (22 nonconsecutively shared with Serenade, though there are an additional 2 weeks nonconsecutive for Serenade).

Re-entries
                32 The Man That Got Away - Judy Garland with Orchestra under the direction of Ray Heindorf
                33 Because of You - Sammy Davis Jr. with Orchestra Directed by Morty Stevens
                42 I Wonder - Jane Froman with Orchestra (and Chorus) conducted by Sid Feller
                46 (Selection of the Songs from) Salad Days – Original London Cast
                50 When I Leave the World Behind - Tony Brent With Orchestra conducted by Norrie Paramor (this is actually its 3rd week at 50 and 4th on the extended chart)
                55 Our Old Pi-anna - Marie Benson with accompaniment directed by Bernie Fenton
                55 Open Up Your Heart - The Cowboy Church Sunday School
                55 Where Will the Dimple Be? - Lorrae Desmond with Bob Sharples and his Music
                60 Roamin’ In the Gloamin’ - Eric Delaney and his Band
                60 Kismet (LP) - Original Broadway Cast
                66 Close Your Eyes - Tony Bennett with Percy Faith and the Orchestra
                66 The Pendulum Song - Max Bygraves with Orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell
                66 Tweedle Dee - Alma Cogan with Orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell

Flipside
                07 If You Believe – Johnnie Ray regains its flipside Alexander’s Ragtime Band
                23 (I'm Always Hearing) Wedding Bells - Eddie Fisher with Hugo Winterhalter's Orchestra and Chorus lost its flipside A Man Chases A Girl (until She Catches Him) after 12 consecutive weeks of both sides
                26 Crazy Otto Rag – The Stargazers gained its flipside Hey Mr Banjo
                27 Pride of Erin Wallace – Bobby McLeod and his Band gained its flipside Irish Military Two Step (which consists of: If You're Irish Come Into The Parlour/With Me Shilalegh Under Me Arm/McNamara's Band/Irish Washerwoman)
                28 Mama - David Whitfield with the Roland Shaw Orchestra regains its flipside Everywhere
                42 Chee Chee Oo Chee - Alma Cogan lost its flipside Tika Tika Tok
                44 Let Me Go Lover – Ruby Murray re-enters without its flipside Happy Days and Lonely Nights; 11 consecutive weeks of both 2 weeks of Happy alone and 1 prior week of Let Me Go Lover
                50 Crazy Otto’s Rag - Petula Clark and the Radio Revellers with Joe "Mr Piano" Henderson and Friends re-enters without its flipside The Pendulum Song - Petula Clark and the Radio Revellers with Geoff Love’s Music
                55 I'll Walk With God - Mario Lanza, Orchestra Conducted by Constantine Callinicos has again lost its flipside Beloved after 13 nonconsecutive weeks of both sides (and 8 nonconsecutive weeks of I’ll Walk with God)
                66 Open Up The Doghouse (Two Cats Are Comin' In) - Nat King Cole and Dean Martin with Orchestra conducted by Billy May is the flipside to Long Long Ago which charted for 2 weeks earlier (peaking at 34)

Full credit for 30 The Elephant Tango is Ray Martin and his Concert Orchestra
                Full credit for 46 My Loving Hands is Ronnie Hilton and the Peter Knight Singers with Orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell
                Full credit for 52 Stowaway is Barbara Lyon with Ray Martin and his Orchestra
                Full credit for 52 You'll Always Be My Lifetime Sweetheart is Perry Como with Mitchell Ayres and his Orchestra and the Ray Charles Singers (arr. Joe Reisman)
                Full credit for 55 Dance with Me Henry (The Wallflower) is Jean Campbell with The Kirchin Band (Ivor and Basil)
                Full credit for 60 I'm in Favour of Friendship is The Five Smith Brothers accompaniment directed by Johnny Douglas
                Full credit for 60 I Love Paris (LP) is Michel Legrand and his Orchestra
                Full credit for 60 Unchained Melody (from “Unchained”) is Don Cornell with music by Carretta

There are 8 new entries this week including one LP I Love Paris - Michel Legrand and his Orchestra and 5 that are new to the charts, and 1 is from a new artist;
                Jean Campbell with The Kirchin Band (Ivor and Basil) - the latter has charted here before. There are 3 LPs on the chart again. There are 7 records that feature both sides.

There are 13 songs with 33 multiple versions
                5 Unchained Melody (Al Hibbler, Jimmy Young, Les Baxter, The Crew Cuts [flipside to Two Hearts Two Kisses (Makes One Love)], Don Cornell)
                5 Stranger in Paradise (Tony Bennett, Tony Martin, The Four Aces, Bing Crosby, Don Cornell)
                3 Crazy Otto Rag (The Stargazers [Hey Mr Banjo on flipside], Petula Clark, The Big Ben Banjo Band [also has Hey Mr Banjo on flipside but not credited])
                2 Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White (Eddie Calvert, Perez Prado)
                2 Dreamboat (Alma Cogan, 5 DeMarco Sisters)
                2 You My Love (Frank Sinatra, Doris Day [flipside to Ready Willing and Able])
                2 Where Will The Dimple Be? (Rosemary Clooney, Lorrae Desmond)
                2 Melody of Love (The Ink Spots, The Four Aces)
                2 Under the Bridges of Paris (Eartha Kitt, Dean Martin)
                2 Tweedle Dee (Frankie Vaughan, Alma Cogan)
                2 I Wonder (Dickie Valentine, Jane Froman)
                2 Dance with Me Henry (Wallflower) (Georgia Gibbs, Jean Campbell)
                2 Chee Chee Oo Chee (The Johnston Brothers, Alma Cogan)
                meaning that there are 50 unique records

There are 10 artists with 22 multiple records
                3 Alma Cogan (Dreamboat, Chee Chee Oo Chee, Tweedle Dee)
                3 The Four Aces (Stranger in Paradise, Sluefoot, Melody of Love)
                2 The Crew Cuts (Earth Angel, Two Hearts Two Kisses (Makes One Love)/Unchained Melody)
                2 Tony Bennett (Stranger in Paradise, Close Your Eyes)
                2 Johnnie Ray (If You Believe/Alexander’s Ragtime Band, Flip Flop and Fly)
                2 Tennessee Ernie Ford (Give Me Your Word, Losing You)
                2 Ruby Murray (Softly Softly, Let Me Go Lover)
                2 Mario Lanza (Serenade/Drinking Song, I’ll Walk with God)
                2 Don Cornell (Stranger in Paradise, Unchained Melody)
                2 Dean Martin (Under The Bridges of Paris, Open Up The Doghouse […and Nat King Cole])
                Meaning there are 59 different artists

Also note the following accompaniment/main artists:
                5 Orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell (Dreamboat [Alma Cogan with …], My Loving Hands [Ronnie Hilton and the Peter Knight Singers with…], Chee Chee Oo Chee [Alma Cogan with …], Pendulum Song [Max Bygraves with…], Tweedle Dee [Alma Cogan with…])
                4 Ray Martin and his Orchestra (Softly Softly [Ruby Murray with… ], Elephant Tango, Stowaway [Barbara Lyon with…], Let Me Go Lover [Ruby Murray with ….])
                2 Joe ‘Mr Piano’ Henderson (Sing it with Joe, Crazy Otto’s Rag [Petula Clark and the Radio Revellers with …. And Friends])
                Last edited by braindeadpj; Sat December 3, 2022, 07:13. Reason: Corrected new artist to include Jean Campbell with The Kirchin Band (Ivor and Basil)

Comment

• Next week 'Unchained Melody' occupies 4 places in NME, I believe an 'official Top 20' feat still unsurpassed.

2 - Al Hibber
                  3 - Jimmy Young
                  17 - Les Baxter
                  =20 - Liberace

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

This chart is compiled from all the dealers charts printed for this week in the Record Mirror at the time and therefore may slightly differ from Record Mirror's own chart compilation methodology for their own Top Ten which remains unknown to us.
                    This is therefore a factual and an accurate representation of the information contained within all of the dealers charts available to us in the paper.

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 18th June 1955

LAST THIS TOP 69 (Based On 34 Dealers Returns) Own Gallup Dealer Dealer Points Points
                    WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 18th June 1955) Chart Points Charts No 1's Rank Scored
                    1 1 Unchained Melody - Al Hibbler 1 218.43 26 16 1 238
                    6 2 Unchained Melody - Jimmy Young 4 151.70 18 12 3 160
                    2 3 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Eddie Calvert 2 127.73 23 1 2 165
                    3 4 Earth Angel - The Crew Cuts 3 110.07 22 4 146
                    8 5 Dreamboat - Alma Cogan 5 108.62 26 6 125
                    4 6 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Perez Prado 6 99.78 18 5 130
                    5 7 Stranger In Paradise - Tony Bennett 7 90.13 17 7 117
                    37 8 I Wonder - Dickie Valentine 54.12 14 8 62
                    7 9 If You Believe / Alexander's Ragtime Band - Johnnie Ray 51.93 12 1 10 54
                    9 10 Stranger In Paradise - Tony Martin 8 47.90 9 9 60
                    13 11 Give Me Your Word - Tennessee Ernie Ford 10 46.17 13 12 46
                    11 12 Unchained Melody - Les Baxter 43.52 7 2 11 52
                    18 13 Where Will The Dimple Be - Rosemary Clooney 35.54 9 14 37
                    10 14 Stranger In Paradise - The Four Aces 9 34.22 7 13 45
                    12 15 Sincerely - The McGuire Sisters 32.81 9 14 37
                    22 16 Dreamboat - The De Marco Sisters 25.32 5 16 33
                    16 17 Ready Willing And Able / You My Love - Doris Day 24.00 7 17 23
                    # 18 Taking A Chance On Love - Johnnie Ray 21.80 6 20 21
                    15 19 You My Love - Frank Sinatra 20.81 6 21 19
                    19 20 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 19.87 5 18 22
                    20 21 Stranger In Paradise - Bing Crosby 16.89 3 1 23 17
                    28 22 Everywhere / Mama - David Whitfield 16.71 5 25 15
                    17 23 Sing It With Joe - Joe 'Mr Piano' Henderson 16.44 3 18 22
                    32 24 The Man That Got Away - Judy Garland 16.39 4 21 19
                    21 25 Serenade / Drinking Song - Mario Lanza 15.86 4 23 17
                    55 26 I'll Walk With God / Beloved - Mario Lanza 14.40 4 26 14
                    # 27 Cool Water - Frankie Laine 12.00 4 35 7
                    30 28 Elephant Tango - Ray Martin 10.99 2 26 14
                    40 29 Chee Chee Oo Chee - The Johnston Brothers 10.84 3 28 12
                    24 30 Two Hearts Two Kisses / Unchained Melody - The Crew Cuts 10.00 1 1 30 10
                    27 30 Irish Military Two-Step - Bobby McLeod 10.00 1 1 30 10
                    14 32 Softly Softly - Ruby Murray 9.17 3 37 6
                    25 33 Melody Of Love - The Ink Spots 8.83 2 28 12
                    36 34 Sluefoot - The Four Aces 8.48 3 48 3
                    # 35 Evermore - Ruby Murray 7.81 2 33 8
                    60 36 Under The Bridges Of Paris - Dean Martin 7.54 2 32 9
                    26 37 Crazy Otto Rag - The Stargazers 7.19 2 33 8
                    39 38 Dance With Me Henry - Georgia Gibbs 6.42 2 38 5
                    46 39 Salad Days (LP) - Original London Cast 6.11 2 44 4
                    44 40 Losing You - Tennessee Ernie Ford 4.99 1 35 7
                    23 41 Wedding Bells - Eddie Fisher 3.95 1 38 5
                    35 41 Caribbean - Mitchell Torok 3.95 1 38 5
                    50 41 Crazy Otto Rag / The Pendulum Song - Petula Clark 3.95 1 38 5
                    # 41 Elephant Tango - Cyril Stapleton 3.95 1 38 5
                    # 41 Two Hearts Two Kisses - Doris Day 3.95 1 38 5
                    52 46 Crazy Otto Rag - The Big Ben Banjo Band 3.59 1 44 4
                    # 46 Earth Angel - Les Baxter 3.59 1 44 4
                    # 46 Mambo Rock - Bill Haley and His Comets 3.59 1 44 4
                    31 49 Under The Bridges Of Paris - Eartha Kitt 3.29 1 48 3
                    42 49 Chee Chee Oo Chee - Alma Cogan 3.29 1 48 3
                    52 49 Stowaway - Barbara Lyon 3.29 1 48 3
                    60 49 Unchained Melody - Don Cornell 3.29 1 48 3
                    # 49 And This Is My Beloved - Jerry Vale 3.29 1 48 3
                    38 54 Melody Of Love - The Four Aces 3.06 1 54 2
                    55 54 Open Up Your Heart - The Cowboy Chuch Sunday School 3.06 1 54 2
                    66 54 The Pendulum Song - Max Bygraves 3.06 1 54 2
                    # 54 Evermore - Edna Savage 3.06 1 54 2
                    29 58 Tomorrow - Johnny Brandon 2.83 1 58 1
                    50 58 When I Leave The World Behind - Tony Brent 2.83 1 58 1
                    60 58 Roamin' In The Gloamin' - Eric Delaney 2.83 1 58 1
                    60 58 Kismet (LP) - Original Broadway Cast 2.83 1 58 1
                    66 58 How Important Can It Be - Joni James 2.83 1 58 1
                    66 58 Open Up The Doghouse - Dean Martin and Nat King Cole 2.83 1 58 1
                    # 58 Stowaway - Margaret Whiting 2.83 1 58 1
                    # 58 Unsuspecting Heart - Frankie Vaughan 2.83 1 58 1
                    # 58 Doonaree - Vera Lynn 2.83 1 58 1
                    # 58 I Remember Mama - Anne Shelton 2.83 1 58 1
                    # 58 Where Will The Dimple Be - Alma Cogan 2.83 1 58 1
                    # 58 A Peasant's Guitar - Mitchell Torok 2.83 1 58 1

Comment

• So Johnnie Ray hits the UK charts with a no.1 US song by Benny Goodman 12 years earlier. Also top 10 in the UK in 1943 by Ambrose & His Orchestra (vocal Anne Shelton)

Comment

• While the number of printed dealers drops to 34, the discrepancies between the printed RM extended chart and the original RM chart, suggest that RM received more than printed and/or counted more than or only a selection of those received. RM's Chart talk thanks the dealers for continuing to send in their returns despite the rail strike and unavoidable postal delays.
                        "It's "as-you-were" for the top 3. Jimmy Young closed the gap this week moving up to 4. Les Baxter was at 11.
                        "Most phenomenal success of the week was scored by Britain's inimitable "girl with the smile in her voice" Alma Cogan which showed up on almost every return from all over the country" (published returns 26/34; 76.5% is that really 'almost every return'? - equal with Al Hibbler as the highest on published dealers).
                        Eddie Calvert is still ahead of Perez Prado, though the latter is beginning to drop. Three versions of Stranger in Paradise are all lined up at 7,8 and 9 (or 7, 10 and 14 as we see it!).
                        .Discs undoubtedly doing well include Baxter's Unchained, Johnnie Ray's If You Believe, Dickie Valentine's I Wonder, Rosemary Clooney's Where Will The Dimple Be?, Frank Sinatra's You My Love and the McGuire Sisters' Sincerely.
                        One's to watch for include Rose Marie and Takin' A Chance on Love.
                        Spotlight Record is I Wonder by Dickie Valentine - which has been around for almost three months now and at last it's beginning to move. Not sensationally, but slowly and surely This is what you call a sleeper. Looks as though its waking up. (Note this has been on 6 of the last 7 week's and it jumps from 37 to 8 this week on the Extended chart).

Comment

• BTW, According to the returns it should be just Unchained Melody - The Crew Cuts at 30 and not including the flipside Two Hearts Two Kisses (Make One Love)

Comment

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
                            BTW, According to the returns it should be just Unchained Melody - The Crew Cuts at 30 and not including the flipside Two Hearts Two Kisses (Make One Love)
                            Ah !, no both sides charted brain. On Imhof's store dealer return both sides were placed on their top ten.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post

Ah !, no both sides charted brain. On Imhof's store dealer return both sides were placed on their top ten.
                              Oh, my apologies. I only looked at the no.1 and noticed it was that one, but of course if they listed the 2nd side too then it should also be included. The record can't get more than 10 points for being no.1 so it wasn't obvious that that was what had happened...I should've looked more closely.

Comment

• 18/06/1955
                                The Elephant's Tango - Ray Martin and his Concert Orchestra was at 30 last week and not the Cyril Stapleton and his Orchestra version which is a re-entry at 41. Also Don Cornell’s Unchained Melody was at 60 last week, while at 41 last week was Don Cornell’s Stranger in Paradise.

The number of printed dealers decreases to 34 this week, while the number of records only declines by 1 to 69. Disparity therefore increases to 1.74 (46.38% are from single dealers). The number of no.1s decreases to 8 while the average increases to 4.375. Al Hibbler has increased to being no.1 on 35% of the dealers… while Unchained Melody is no.1 on 30 dealers by 4 different artists. Al Hibbler is now on the most dealer charts (76.5%; 26/34) - equal with Dreamboat by Alma Cogan. It’s average per dealer has considerably increased to 8.4 (9.15) from 6.72 (7.77) and this is further supported by its overall score increasing by 16.95 (5) despite a reduction by 4 in the number of dealers. Jimmy Young’s average is actually slightly higher than Al Hibbler’s 8.43 (8.89). Eddie Calvert’s average dealer score declined to 5.55 (7.18) from 5.94 (7.12). The Crew Cuts also increased slightly from 4.84 (6.17) to 5.00 (6.64).
                                The highest position by a record from a single dealer is no.1 for Unchained Melody – The Crew Cuts and Irish Military Two Step - Bobby McLeod (note as previously pointed out by Mr Tibbs that Two Hearts Two Kisses (Make One Love) – The Crew Cuts also appears on the same dealer chart).
                                Record on the chart the longest is Give Me Your Word for 31 non-consecutive weeks (24 consecutive; 4 weeks were shared with River of No Return and 3 weeks were only River of No Return) and 24 consecutive weeks for I’ll Walk With God - Mario Lanza (13 nonconsecutive weeks shared with flipside Beloved) (Note Drinking Song - Mario Lanza also has 24 consecutive weeks (23 nonconsecutively shared with Serenade, though there are an additional 2 weeks nonconsecutive for Serenade).
                                Re-entries:
                                35 Evermore - Ruby Murray with Ray Martin and his Orchestra
                                41 Two Hearts Two Kisses - Doris Day with the Mellomen Orchestra under the direction of Frank Comstock
                                54 Evermore - Edna Savage with Orchestra conducted by Ron Goodwin
                                Flipside:
                                30 Irish Military Two-Step – Bobby McLeod and his Band lost its flipside Pride of Erin Waltz
                                37 Crazy Otto Rag - The Stargazers lost its flipside Hey Mr Banjo
                                41 Crazy Otto Rag (with Joe "Mr Piano" Henderson and Friends) – Petula Clark and the Radio Revellers regained its flipside The Pendulum Song (with Geoff Love's Music)
                                46 Mambo Rock - Bill Haley and his Comets re-enters instead of the flipside Birth of the Boogie (which was the last to chart)
                                58 Unsuspecting Heart – Frankie Vaughan with vocal group and orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell
                                re-enters this week (a few weeks after a single week at 56) for a second solo week from its flipside Too Many Heartaches (with vocal group and rhythm conducted by Reg Owen) which has also spent two consecutive weeks on the chart (peaking at 48)
                                Full credit for 18 Taking a Chance on Love is Johnnie Ray with Vic Lewis and His Orchestra
                                Full credit for 27 Cool Water is Frankie Laine with Paul Weston and his Orchestra and the Mellomen
                                Full credit for 46 Earth Angel is Les Baxter and the Bombers
                                Full credit for 49 And This My Beloved (from “Kismet”) is Jerry Vale with Percy Faith and his Orchestra
                                Full credit for 58 Stowaway is Margaret Whiting with Chorus and Orchestra conducted by Nelson Riddle (Note label says Stow-a-way but sheet music and US version says Stowaway)
                                Full credit for 58 Doonaree is Vera Lynn With The Roland Shaw Orchestra
                                Full credit for 58 I Remember Mama (Based on Gabriel-Marie's La Cinquantaine") is Anne Shelton with Chorus and Orchestra by Reg Owen
                                Full credit for 58 Where Will The Dimple Be is Alma Cogan with Orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell
                                Interestingly, three of this week’s new entries; Jerry Vale with Percy Faith and his Orchestra, Johnnie Ray With Vic Lewis And His Orchestra and Frankie Laine with Paul Weston and his Orchestra and the Mellomen are Philips PB 462,463 and 465 respectively (unfortunately 464 Buddy Cole Plantation Boogie/Foolishly does not appear to ever chart)…

There are 9 new entries this week, of which 8 are new to the charts. Two are also new artists; Jerry Vale and Margaret Whiting. Two LPs remain on the chart. Seven records feature both sides.

There are 16 songs with 38 multiple versions (2 duplicates)
                                5 Unchained Melody (Al Hibbler, Jimmy Young, Les Baxter, The Crew Cuts [with flipside Two Hearts two Kisses (Make One Love)], Don Cornell)
                                4 Stranger In Paradise (Tony Bennett, Tony Martin, The Four Aces, Bing Crosby)
                                3 Crazy Otto Rag (The Stargazers, Petula Clark [flipside The Pendulum Song], The Big Ben Banjo Band)
                                2 Earth Angel (The Crew Cuts, Les Baxter)
                                2 Where Will The Dimple Be (Rosemary Clooney, Alma Cogan)
                                2 You My Love (Doris Day [flipside Ready Willing and Able], Frank Sinatra)
                                2 Elephant Tango (Ray Martin, Cyril Stapleton)
                                2 Chee Chee Oo Chee (The Johnston Brothers, Alma Cogan)
                                2 Two Hearts Two Kisses (Make One Love) (The Crew Cuts [with flipside Uncharted Melody], Doris Day)
                                2 Melody of Love (The Ink Spots, The Four Aces)
                                2 Evermore (Ruby Murray, Edna Savage)
                                2 Under the Bridges of Paris (Dean Martin, Eartha Kitt)
                                2 The Pendulum Song (Petula Clark [with flipside Crazy Otto Rag], Max Bygraves)
                                2 Stowaway (Barbara Lyon, Margaret Whiting)
                                meaning that there are 49 different records

There are 11 artists with 24 different songs
                                3 Alma Cogan (Dreamboat, Chee Chee Oo Chee, Where Will the Dimple Be)
                                3 The Four Aces (Stranger in Paradise, Sluefoot, Melody of Love)
                                2 The Crew Cuts (Earth Angel, Uncharted Melody/Two Hearts Two Kisses (Make One Love))
                                2 Johnnie Ray (If You Believe/Alexander’s Ragtime Band, Taking a Chance on Love)
                                2 Tennessee Ernie Ford (Give me Your Word, Losing You)
                                2 Les Baxter (Unchained Melody, Earth Angel)
                                2 Doris Day (Ready Willing and Able/You My Love, Two Hearts Two Kisses (Makes One Love)
                                2 Mario Lanza (Serenade/Drinking Song, I’ll Walk with God/Beloved)
                                2 Ruby Murray (Softly Softly, Evermore)
                                2 Dean Martin (Under the Bridges of Paris, Open Up The Doghouse […and Nat King Cole])
                                2 Mitchell Torok (Caribbean, A Peasant’s Guitar)
                                meaning that there are 56 different artists

Comment

• 'The Elephant's Tango - Ray Martin and his Concert Orchestra was at 30 last week and not the Cyril Stapleton and his Orchestra version which is a re-entry at 41. Also Don Cornell’s Unchained Melody was at 60 last week, while at 41 last week was Don Cornell’s Stranger in Paradise.'

Thanks brain. I have amended the chart above and the master spreadsheet.

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Chart For Week Ending Saturday 25th June 1955

LAST THIS TOP 70 (Based On 38 Dealers Returns) Own Gallup Dealer Dealer Points Points
                                    WEEK WEEK (Chart For Week Ending Saturday 25th June 1955) Chart Points Charts No 1's Rank Scored
                                    1 1 Unchained Melody - Al Hibbler 1 239.93 30 18 1 251
                                    2 2 Unchained Melody - Jimmy Young 4 175.48 24 10 2 197
                                    4 3 Earth Angel - The Crew Cuts 2 149.06 29 1 3 194
                                    5 4 Dreamboat - Alma Cogan 3 144.41 29 2 4 173
                                    3 5 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Eddie Calvert 5 133.35 26 1 5 162
                                    7 6 Stranger In Paradise - Tony Bennett 8 87.91 17 6 114
                                    6 7 Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White - Perez Prado 6 83.55 17 7 107
                                    9 8 If You Believe - Johnnie Ray 9 73.22 17 2 9 68
                                    10 9 Stranger In Paradise - Tony Martin 7 65.58 12 1 8 85
                                    13 10 Where Will The Dimple Be - Rosemary Clooney 57.42 16 10 57
                                    27 11 Cool Water - Frankie Laine 10 47.85 12 11 47
                                    8 12 I Wonder - Dickie Valentine 44.67 13 14 41
                                    11 13 Give Me Your Word - Tennessee Ernie Ford 37.96 10 13 43
                                    25 14 Serenade / Drinking Song - Mario Lanza 37.41 10 15 39
                                    12 15 Unchained Melody - Les Baxter 35.12 6 1 12 45
                                    22 16 Everywhere / Mama - David Whitfield 33.15 8 17 35
                                    14 17 Stranger In Paradise - The Four Aces 32.00 7 16 38
                                    15 18 Sincerely - The McGuire Sisters 26.91 7 18 31
                                    20 19 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 26.39 7 19 28
                                    16 20 Dreamboat - The De Marco Sisters 21.83 5 20 26
                                    # 21 Sundown Boogie - Bill Haley and His Comets 21.52 5 21 25
                                    30 22 Unchained Melody - The Crew Cuts 20.00 2 2 22 20
                                    24 23 The Man That Got Away - Judy Garland 15.86 4 25 17
                                    # 24 The Pride Of Erin Waltz - Bobby McLeod 15.75 2 1 23 18
                                    19 25 You My Love - Frank Sinatra 15.52 4 23 18
                                    17 26 Ready Willing And Able / You My Love - Doris Day 14.43 4 26 16
                                    23 27 Sing It With Joe - Joe 'MrPiano' Henderson 12.03 2 26 16
                                    28 28 Elephant Tango - Ray Martin 11.46 2 28 15
                                    49 29 Under The Bridges Of Paris - Eartha Kitt 11.00 3 29 12
                                    18 30 Taking A Chance On Love - Johnnie Ray 10.30 3 30 9
                                    46 31 Crazy Otto Rag - The Big Ben Banjo Band 9.83 3 33 8
                                    41 32 Two Hearts Two Kisses - Doris Day 8.04 2 30 9
                                    # 33 I Wonder - Jane Froman 7.24 2 33 8
                                    21 34 Stranger In Paradise - Bing Crosby 7.04 1 30 9
                                    35 35 Evermore - Ruby Murray 6.65 2 38 6
                                    49 35 Stowaway - Barbara Lyon 6.65 2 38 6
                                    54 37 Melody Of Love - The Four Aces 6.42 2 41 5
                                    # 37 Every Day Of My Life - Malcolm Vaughan 6.42 2 41 5
                                    41 39 Caribbean - Mitchell Torok 6.12 2 47 4
                                    # 40 Flip Flop And Fly - Johnnie Ray 5.75 1 33 8
                                    49 40 Unchained Melody - Don Cornell 5.75 1 33 8
                                    # 42 I Wonder - Robert Earl 4.99 1 37 7
                                    # 43 Earth Angel - The Penguins 4.42 1 38 6
                                    # 44 Something's Gotta Give - Sammy Davis Jnr. 3.95 1 41 5
                                    # 44 Hello Mrs Jones - Dickie Valentine 3.95 1 41 5
                                    # 44 Lonely Ballerina - Mantovani 3.95 1 41 5
                                    # 44 Close Your Eyes - Tony Bennett 3.95 1 41 5
                                    58 48 Kismet (LP) - Original Broadway Cast 3.59 1 47 4
                                    # 48 My Loving Hands - Ronnie Hilton 3.59 1 47 4
                                    # 48 Prize Of Gold - Joan Regan 3.59 1 47 4
                                    # 48 Because Of You - Sammy Davis Jnr. 3.59 1 47 4
                                    38 48 Dance With Me Henry - Georgia Gibbs 3.59 1 47 4
                                    # 53 When I Grow Too Old To Dream - Slim Whitman 3.29 1 53 3
                                    49 53 Chee Chee Oo Chee - Alma Cogan 3.29 1 53 3
                                    41 53 Elephant Tango - Cyril Stapleton 3.29 1 53 3
                                    # 56 Learnin' The Blues - Frank Sinatra 3.06 1 56 2
                                    39 56 Salad Days (LP) - Original London Cast 3.06 1 56 2
                                    58 56 Doonaree - Vera Lynn 3.06 1 56 2
                                    49 56 And This Is My Beloved - Jerry Vale 3.06 1 56 2
                                    # 56 Unsuspecting Heart - Terri Stevens 3.06 1 56 2
                                    54 56 The Pendulum Song - Max Bygraves 3.06 1 56 2
                                    41 56 Wedding Bells - Eddie Fisher 3.06 1 56 2
                                    # 56 Hey Mr Banjo - The Stargazers 3.06 1 56 2
                                    # 64 Don't Worry - Johnny Brandon 2.83 1 64 1
                                    33 64 Melody Of Love - The Ink Spots 2.83 1 64 1
                                    # 64 Something's Gotta Give - Billie Anthony 2.83 1 64 1
                                    # 64 If Anyone Finds This I Love You - Ruby Murray 2.83 1 64 1
                                    58 64 Unsuspecting Heart - Frankie Vaughan 2.83 1 64 1
                                    26 64 I'll Walk With God - Mario Lanza 2.83 1 64 1
                                    34 64 Sluefoot - The Four Aces 2.83 1 64 1

Comment

• Different charts different dealers. Al Hibbler leads the 'Unchained' battle by some considerable margin on RM while NME favours Jimmy Young on top with Al Hibbler placed at a lowly third this week. Interesting.

After taking a huge leap into last week's top ten Dickie Valentine surprisingly falls back out of the top ten to No 12 but he will recover.

The Kismet LP is still registering on the chart joined by two 'Strangers' in the top ten and lower down the survey another song from the musical makes its presence felt, Jerry Vale's 'And This Is My Beloved' which also charted for Sarah Vaughan. It's a really good song actually.

Comment

• The RM "Sales Talk" column this week says that 'Still It's "Unchained Melody" at Number One. Still it's the Al Hibbler version that dealers show in the lead, although Jimmy Young's record is doing extremely well and may well have eclipsed the Hibbler "total sold" figure by now."
                                        This is an extremely weird thing to say as Jimmy Young has never been above Al Hibbler in the RM chart (or the extended chart) and for most weeks there has been quite a gap between the 2!
                                        "Success of the week is Alma Cogan's Dreamboat. There seems nothing to stop this ... It's sailing rapidly to the top. It could well turn out to be Alma's biggest disc to date.
                                        At the other end of the chart, a spectacular success has been scored by Frankie Laine's brand new recording" - RM's spotlight track of the week.

"Discs that just missed the (Dream)boat this week include Les Baxter's Unchained, Rosemary Clooney's Where Will The Dimple Be, Dickie Valentine's I Wonder, The Four Aces Stranger in Paradise, the McGuire Sisters Sincerely and (at long last) David Whitfield's Mama. One to keep an eye on Bill Haley and the gang playing Sundown Boogie."
                                        All of these are between 10 and 21 on the extended chart this week.

Comment

• Instead of mentioning all those they might as well have published the Top 20!

Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
                                          "Jimmy Young's record is doing extremely well and may well have eclipsed the Hibbler "total sold" figure by now."
                                          Perhaps they knew NME had put JY top and this was some sort of hedging remark in case it became their number one the following week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post
                                            Instead of mentioning all those they might as well have published the Top 20!

Perhaps they knew NME had put JY top and this was some sort of hedging remark in case it became their number one the following week.
                                            I was wiondering about that. Did NME publish their results before RM? I believe that is the case but can anyone confirm?

Comment

• I don't know when NMEs chart first appeared in the Tuesday newspapers, or if they issued a press release anyway when there was a new number one. But I was thinking more of a scenario like NME phoning someone connected with JY for a comment who then phoned RM.

Comment

• Of course the fact they appear to be talking about overall sales would imply that they (and NME) have been greatly underestimating Jimmy Young's sales compared to Al Hibbler's. As we all know just getting to no.1 ahead of another doesn't mean it outsells it overall in the long run... It's just weird terminology and in some ways appears to be saying that their charts (including NME's) are crap and don't reflect the real sales at all......

Alternatively perhaps they have looked at the dealers each week where Jimmy Young is above Al Hibbler and realised that they are all the 'big stores' meaning that they are high volume and so if counting real sales rather than sales ranking would have given Young's version much more than 10 points each time!
                                                Looking at the NME chart apart from the week Young's version entered before Hibbler's, HIbbler has been above it until this week; again suggesting that Hibbler ahs the higher total sales (so far)

Comment

• 25/06/1955
                                                  The number of dealers increases up to 38 while the number of records increases by 1, so disparity decreases to 1.58 (45.7% are from 1 dealer). This week there are 10 no. 1s averaging 3.9 weeks with Unchained Melody being no.1 on 31 dealers from 4 different records (actually the same as last week). Al Hibbler’s Unchained Melody is actually no.1 on 60% of its dealers (18/30), but its average has declined to 7.99 (8.37). Jimmy Young’s version increases 33% in dealer numbers (up to 24), though the no. of no.1s drops 2 to 10. The average also declines to 7.31 (8.21). By contrast, The Crew Cuts’ average increases slightly to 5.14 (6.69), while Alma Cogan increases by a larger margin to 4.98 (5.97). Eddie Calvert’s average declines to 5.13 (6.23). The Crew Cuts are no.1 on 3 dealers with two different records; Unchained Melody – The Crew Cuts is no.1 on 2 dealer charts and features on no others. Earth Angel is also no.1 on 1 dealer. Appearing on only 1 chart, the highest single position is no.9 for Stranger in Paradise – Bing Crosby.
                                                  The record on the chart the longest is again Give Me Your Word for 32 non-consecutive weeks (25 consecutive; 4 weeks were shared with River of No Return
                                                  and 3 weeks were only River of No Return) and 25 consecutive weeks for I’ll Walk With God - Mario Lanza (13 nonconsecutive weeks shared with flipside Beloved) (Note Drinking Song - Mario Lanza also has 25 consecutive weeks (24 nonconsecutively shared with Serenade, though there are an additional 2 weeks nonconsecutive for Serenade).

Re-entries
                                                  33 I Wonder – Jane Froman with Orchestra (and Chorus) conducted by Sid Feller
                                                  40 Flip Flop and Fly – Johnnie Ray with Les Elgart and his Orchestra
                                                  44 Lonely Ballerina - Mantovani and his Orchestra
                                                  44 Close Your Eyes - Tony Bennett with Percy Faith and the Orchestra
                                                  48 My Loving Hands - Ronnie Hilton and the Peter Knight Singers with Orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell
                                                  48 Prize of Gold - Joan Regan with Johnny Douglas and his Orchestra
                                                  48 Because of You - Sammy Davis Jr. with Orchestra Directed by Morty Stevens
                                                  56 Learnin’ the Blues – Frank Sinatra with orchestra conducted by Nelson Riddle
                                                  56 Unsuspecting Heart - Terri Stevens arranged and conducted by Joe Leahy
                                                  64 If Anyone Finds This I Love You - Ruby Murray and Anne Warren with Ray Martin and his Orchestra

Flipsides
                                                  22 Unchained Melody – The Crew Cuts lost its flipside Two Hearts Two Kisses (Make One Love) after 3 weeks of both sides (and one week of Two Hearts solo)
                                                  24 The Pride of Erin Waltz - Bobby McLeod and his Band re-enters this week after its flipside Irish Military Two-Step was at 30 last week
                                                  53 When I Grow Too Old To Dream – Slim Whitman charted this week instead of the previously charted Cattle Call
                                                  56 Hey Mr Banjo – The Stargazers charted instead of the flipside The Crazy Otto Rag which was at 37 last week
                                                  64 I’ll Walk With God - Mario Lanza, Orchestra Conducted by Constantine Callinicos again lost its flipside Beloved

Full credit for 37 Ev’ry Day of My Life is Malcolm Vaughan with Orchestra conducted by Frank Cordell
                                                  Full credit for 42 I Wonder is Robert Earl with Wally Stott and his Orchestra
                                                  Full credit for 44 Something's Gotta Give (from film "Daddy Long Legs") is Sammy Davis Jr with Orchestra directed by Sy Oliver
                                                  Full credit for 44 Hello Mrs Jones (Is Mary There?) is Dickie Valentine with Johnny Douglas and his orchestra
                                                  Full credit for 64 Something’s Gotta Give is Billie Anthony with Eric Jupp and his Orchestra

There are 7 new entries this week. Four are new to the charts, with one from a new artist – The Penguins. Two LPs still remain (both cast recordings; Kismet and Salad Days). This week there are only 3 records with both sides charting.

There are 11 songs with 28 multiple versions
                                                  5 Unchained Melody (Al Hibbler, Jimmy Young, Les Baxter, The Crew Cuts, Don Cornell)
                                                  4 Stranger in Paradise (Tony Bennett, Tony Martin, The Four Aces, Bing Crosby)
                                                  3 I Wonder (Dickie Valentine, Jane Froman, Robert Earl)
                                                  2 Earth Angel (The Crew Cuts, The Penguins)
                                                  2 You My Love (Frank Sinatra, Doris Day [flipside to Ready Willing and Able)
                                                  2 Elephant Tango (Ray Martin, Cyril Stapleton)
                                                  2 Melody of Love (The Four Aces, The Ink Spots)
                                                  2 Something’s Gotta Give (Sammy Davis Jr, Billie Anthony)
                                                  2 Unsuspecting Heart (Terri Stevens, Frankie Vaughan)
                                                  meaning there are 53 different records

There are 12 artists with 26 multiple songs
                                                  3 Johnnie Ray (If You Believe, Taking A Chance On Me, Flip Flop and Fly)
                                                  3 The Four Aces (Stranger in Paradise, Melody of Love, Sluefoot)
                                                  2 The Crew Cuts (Earth Angel, Unchained Melody)
                                                  2 Alma Cogan (Dreamboat, Chee Chee Oo Chee)
                                                  2 Tony Bennett (Stranger in Paradise, Close Your Eyes)
                                                  2 Dickie Valentine (I Wonder, Hello Mrs Jones (Is Mary There?))
                                                  2 Mario Lanza (Serenade/Drinking Song, I’ll Walk with God)
                                                  2 Slim Whitman (Rose Marie, When I Grow Too Old To Dream)
                                                  2 Frank Sinatra (You My Love, Learnin’ The Blues)
                                                  2 Doris Day (Ready Willing and Able/You My Love, Two Hearts Two Kisses (Make One Love)
                                                  2 Ruby Murray (Evermore, If Anyone Find This I Love You)
                                                  2 Sammy Davis Jr (Something’s Gotta Give, Because of You)
                                                  meaning that there are 56 different artists
                                                  Last edited by braindeadpj; Fri December 9, 2022, 05:34.

Comment

• This analysis of dealer numbers and positions provides a useful context for The Sun's investigation in 1964. For the week that NME put Little Red Rooster straight in at 1, they surveyed 100 stores and found only 19 put LRR top. 42 did not even put it in their Top 20!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X