Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German Charts Thread 2019: weekly Charts, sales, infos, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
    @theMathematician: 'Mensch' sold 1.2 mio copies in its first 3 weeks, becoming the fasting selling album ever:
    https://www.stern.de/kultur/musik/he...e-3119592.html

In early 1994, Billboard Magazine named Phil Collins' 'Both Sides' the fastest-seling album ever in Germany. It sold 1 mio copies in three weeks:
    https://books.google.lu/books?hl=de&...sides&f=false:
    Really sold or "just" shipped? In the 90s Media Control counted the shipped units even if they weren't sold. Albums got Gold (250k) and Platinum (500k) certifications even because of shop orders. A friend of mine worked in a big and famous chain store and said that it was ridiculous that f.e. "American Pie" by Madonna got to No. 1 because every shop ordered a mass of copies but they nearly laid in the shelves like lead. If you counted the real sales of the single in all german stores of that chain, it must have been in the Top 10 but not No. 1, with real big saled difference compared to French Affair and Santana who should have been Top 2 in that week.

Comment

• Originally posted by huhu78 View Post
      But monzo said: "Last week Rammstein's "Ausländer" was on top in Baveria, number 2 in Germany, but only 21 at German downloads, so Baverian charts also adds physical sales which is nice."

Then it is not the best selling single but the single with the highest revenue, when physical sales have such an impact.
      I don't know much about the bavarian chart but they probably use the revenue method like the official charts. On the other hand, we don't exactly know how many "Ausländer"-EPs Rammstein sold, I mean, they sold 360k album and the download market size decreased, meaning an EP with high sales could actually sell more than the top downloaded songs in theory. Because looking at the charts, I don't think they excluded certain tracks but rather think that streams are not included at all, hence the big differences compared to the official chart, the lack of german rap songs, and the appearance of "Download only hits".

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
        Thanks @Benny. You're really well-informed!

Regarding 'Both Sides': I guess that refers to shipments rather than pure sales, right? I just don't see how it could've reached the 1 mio. in terms of sales up to week 3 when it spent its first 2 weeks at No. 1 behind an album that was already out for a while. My conclusion would be that it could've only gone there if its sales heavily increased in the weeks leading up to Christmas '93, possibly climaxing with 300k+ sales in the Christmas week.
        Originally posted by huhu78 View Post
        Really sold or "just" shipped? In the 90s Media Control counted the shipped units even if they weren't sold. Albums got Gold (250k) and Platinum (500k) certifications even because of shop orders. A friend of mine worked in a big and famous chain store and said that it was ridiculous that f.e. "American Pie" by Madonna got to No. 1 because every shop ordered a mass of copies but they nearly laid in the shelves like lead. If you counted the real sales of the single in all german stores of that chain, it must have been in the Top 10 but not No. 1, with real big saled difference compared to French Affair and Santana who should have been Top 2 in that week.
        Definitely shipped and not sold, though Billboard Magazine and other sources always used the word 'sold'.

Real first week sales figures have only been revealed in the past 15 years. Here are some record-breaking first week sales of that period:

1) Helene Fischer - Helene Fischer - 300k (May 2017); best first week sales since 'Mensch'
        2) Herbert Grönemeyer - 12 - between 263k and 300k (March 2007)
        3) Adele - 25 - 263k (November 2015) including 88k downloads; best first week sales since '12'
        4) Rammstein - Rammstein - 260k (May 2019); best first week sales for a band this millennium
        5) ACDC - Rock or Bust - 246k (December 2014); best first week sales in 7 years
        6) ACDC - Black Ice - 230k (October 2008)
        Last edited by Benny; Mon June 17th, 2019, 18:34.
        My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• German Pop 40: (German chart without German rap songs, compiled by myself)

01 NEU 01 Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello Señorita 1 2
          02 01 01 13 Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus Old Town Road 1 3
          03 02 02 07 Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber I Don't Care 1 4
          04 03 04 13 Billie Eilish Bad Guy 2 11
          05 05 07 07 Meduza, Goodboys Piece Of Your Heart 5 12
          06 04 03 11 Sarah Connor Vincent 3 15
          07 06 05 18 Daddy Yankee, Snow Con calma 1 16
          08 07 06 11 Avicii, Aloe Blacc SOS 4 23
          09 09 17 05 Martin Garrix, Macklemore, Patrick Stump Summer Days 9 25
          10 08 08 16 Mabel Don't Call Me Up 4 26
          11 13 16 05 Ed Sheeran, Chance The Rapper, PnB Rock Cross Me 10 27
          12 17 22 05 OneRepublic Rescue Me 17 31
          13 14 23 03 R3HAB, A Touch Of Class All Around The World (La La La) 14 32
          14 27 36 03 Pedro Capo, Farruko Calma 27 34
          15 24 27 05 Robin Schulz, Harloe All This Love 24 35
          16 16 - 02 Taylor Swift You Need To Calm Down 16 36
          17 11 11 17 Jonas Brothers Sucker 8 38
          18 10 12 13 Lewis Capaldi Someone You Loved 8 39
          19 19 24 09 Dominic Fike 3 Nights 19 40
          20 18 14 08 Shawn Mendes If I Can't Have You 8 42
          21 30 - 02 YouNotUs, Janieck, Senex Narcotic 30 46
          22 37 - 02 DJ Snake, J Balvin, Tyga Loco Contigo 37 47
          23 15 10 13 Rammstein Deutschland 1 51
          24 21 15 08 Michael Schulte Back To The Start 15 53
          25 26 28 04 Vize Glad You Came 26 54
          26 12 09 06 Rammstein Ausländer 2 55
          27 20 19 08 Dennis Lloyd Never Go Back 19 56
          28 NEU 01 Drake, Rick Ross Money In The Grave 28 57
          29 25 18 17 Imagine Dragons Bad Liar 4 62
          30 22 20 11 Lena Don't Lie To Me 14 63
          31 39 34 04 Katy Perry Never Really Over 26 64
          32 WE 30 03 The Chainsmokers Call You Mine 30 65
          33 23 21 39 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper Shallow 2 67
          34 28 25 36 Ava Max Sweet But Psycho 1 68
          35 NEU 01 Adel Tawil, Peachy Tu m'appelles 35 71
          36 34 31 14 The Prince Karma Later Bitches 15 72
          37 NEU 01 Gamper & Dadoni, Emily Roberts Bittersweet Symphony 37 73
          38 WE 38 03 Nico Santos Unforgettable 38 74
          39 33 - 02 YG, Tyga, Jon Z Go Loko 33 75
          40 36 32 54 Dynoro & Gigi D'Agostino In My Mind 1 77

Comment

• Top 50 Spotify streams Year-to-date (week 1 - week 26 2019)
            Multiple versions of one song combined

01 54,2 Lil Nas X - Old Town Road
            02 50,6 Capital Bra - Prinzessa
            03 48,7 Capital Bra - Benzema
            04 46,3 Capital Bra - Cherry Lady
            05 45,8 Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
            06 45,7 MERO - Wolke 10
            07 43,4 MERO - Hobby Hobby
            08 41,2 Juju - Vermissen
            09 39,9 KC Rebell - DNA
            10 37,7 Shirin David - Gib Ihm
            11 37,3 MERO - Baller los
            12 35,3 Daddy Yankee - Con Calma
            13 35,3 Ariana Grande - 7 rings
            14 34,9 Eno - Ferrari
            15 34,9 Billie Eilish - bad guy
            16 34,7 Capital Bra - Wir ticken
            17 32,8 Fero47 - JAJA
            18 32,8 Post Malone - Wow.
            19 32,2 Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes
            20 31,8 Eno - Blackberry Sky
            21 31,5 C ARMA - Yapma
            22 31,4 Bonez MC - 500 PS
            23 31,3 Shindy - DODI
            24 31,0 Samra - Wieder Lila
            25 30,2 Robin Schulz - Speechless (feat. Erika Sirola)
            26 29,9 Dardan - Coco Mama
            27 29,6 Shindy - Affalterbach
            28 29,5 Sido - Tausend Tattoos
            29 29,4 Capital Bra - Rolex
            30 29,4 KitschKrieg - Standard (feat. Trettmann, Gringo, Ufo361 & Gzuz)
            31 29,2 Bausa - Mary
            32 29,1 Mabel - Don't Call Me Up
            33 27,1 KC Rebell - Alleen
            34 26,3 Halsey - Without Me
            35 26,0 Dynoro - In My Mind
            36 25,5 LX - HaifischNikez Allstars
            37 25,1 Samra - Harami
            38 25,1 Ufo361 - Pass auf wen du liebst
            39 24,5 Capital Bra - Capital Bra je m'appelle
            40 24,0 Fero47 - Puerto Rico
            41 23,8 Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar
            42 23,5 Shindy - Nautilus
            43 23,4 Ed Sheeran - I Don't Care (with Justin Bieber)
            44 23,0 Calvin Harris - Giant (with Rag'n'Bone Man)
            45 22,4 Avicii - SOS (feat. Aloe Blacc)
            46 22,0 Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
            47 21,7 Lady Gaga - Shallow
            48 21,6 Gaullin - Moonlight
            49 21,3 Azet - Fragen
            50 21,2 Kontra K - Blei (feat. Veysel)

Comment

• German monster seller 'Stadtaffe' is still charting at No. 85 in Germany this week. Besides Abba's 'Gold' and 'Die 30 besten Spiel- und Bewegungslieder', it's one of the biggest catalogue sellers out there. Considering that the German Albums Chart's ranking goes by revenue and the fact that 'Stadtaffe' has to be heavily discounted everywhere by now, it should be selling ~ 2k copies per week now. In fact, I'm not sure whether the album has ever sold less than 1k copies in any week so far - and we're talking about an 11-year-old album. It reached 13x gold in 2016, but I bet that it's eligible for 7x platinum by now... All those big catalogue sellers (Santiano's debut album, Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, Helene Fischer's 'Best Of', Nirvana's 'Nevermind', the aforementioned two albums, Rammstein's backcatalogue,...) are in need of recertifications if you ask me!
              Don't need hindsight
              I'll make my emotions clear
              And then disappear
              With one strike
              (All Saints)

Comment

• omg Ive heard 11 out of 50.
                KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• All-time longest charting albums (300 weeks+):
                  Andrea Berg - Best Of 349 weeks
                  Helene Fischer - Best Of 349 weeks
                  ABBA - Gold 329 weeks
                  Simone Sommerland, Karsten Glück & Die Kita-Frösche - die 30 besten Spiel- und Bewegungslieder 312 weeks

All 4 are basically hit collection and considering that the latter 3 have still been charting in 2019, Andrea Berg's record may soon end up getting broken by one of those.
                  Don't need hindsight
                  And then disappear
                  With one strike
                  (All Saints)

Comment

All-time longest charting albums (300 weeks+):
                    Andrea Berg - Best Of 349 weeks
                    Helene Fischer - Best Of 349 weeks
                    ABBA - Gold 329 weeks
                    Simone Sommerland, Karsten Glück & Die Kita-Frösche - die 30 besten Spiel- und Bewegungslieder 312 weeks

All 4 are basically hit collection and considering that the latter 3 have still been charting in 2019, Andrea Berg's record may soon end up getting broken by one of those.
                    Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' has a total of 336 weeks, 'The Beatles 1962-1966' 320 weeks and 'The Beatles 1967-1970' 312 weeks. The Album Chart wasn't published weekly at the time those albums were released, but you get these figures if you convert all monthly and half-monthly charts into weekly ones. What is even more impressive is the fact that the Album Chart only became a top 100 in 1989, which means that these albums would have even higher totals if the chart had been a top 100 in the 70s and 80s.

Comment

• Thanks for your additional information, Benny!
                      Don't need hindsight
                      And then disappear
                      With one strike
                      (All Saints)

Comment

Thanks for your additional information, Benny!
                        You're welcome!

Comment

• LeppDaddy did a great statistical analysis of the German Albums Chart 7 years ago:
                          https://www.ukmix.org/showthread.php...-weekly-Top-10

It would be great to get an updated version (though I know that it's a hell lot of work)!

Comment

• Important News!

Since the beginning of August, a new chart rule for the german singles chart is in place. This rule should prevent lots of album tracks from one artist (particularly german rap acts) entering the charts the week after an album is released. This is what the rule says:

- All album tracks released before the album release date are still allowed to chart after the album release
                            - On the day of the album release, labels will be able to announce one album track as a "focus track" that will also be allowed to chart
                            - All tracks despite the focus track and tracks released earlier will be banned from the chart but only for two weeks
                            - After that, all album tracks will be able to chart again

The new rule will show impact for the first time today. Lots of tracks of the new album by german rapper Ufo361 would normally chart but will be banned. Checking the Spotify charts for the last days, I guess that at least 6 tracks, maybe even 7 or 8, that would normally chart inside the Top 100 will be banned.

Comment

• Thanks for the update.
                              It took a very long time to make the decission to change something, but I'm not sure if this makes sense.
                              Last edited by conan17; Sat August 17th, 2019, 17:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charter2000 View Post
                                Important News!

Since the beginning of August, a new chart rule for the german singles chart is in place. This rule should prevent lots of album tracks from one artist (particularly german rap acts) entering the charts the week after an album is released. This is what the rule says:

- All album tracks released before the album release date are still allowed to chart after the album release
                                - On the day of the album release, labels will be able to announce one album track as a "focus track" that will also be allowed to chart
                                - All tracks despite the focus track and tracks released earlier will be banned from the chart but only for two weeks
                                - After that, all album tracks will be able to chart again

The new rule will show impact for the first time today. Lots of tracks of the new album by german rapper Ufo361 would normally chart but will be banned. Checking the Spotify charts for the last days, I guess that at least 6 tracks, maybe even 7 or 8, that would normally chart inside the Top 100 will be banned.
                                Thanks for the update, that rule was long overdue!

Comment

• Are the 'focus tracks' the singles from each album or is that something else?
                                  Don't need hindsight
                                  And then disappear
                                  With one strike
                                  (All Saints)

Comment

Are the 'focus tracks' the singles from each album or is that something else?
                                    The "focus track" is an album track that is allowed to chart even though it wasn't released before. The label decides which track that is but they have to decide it on release day, not later on. In case a single is released together with the album, the single will probably be chosen as the focus track. All tracks released earlier are allowed to chart either way.

In the case of Ufo361, the previously released songs are charting right now on #7, #20, #30, #63 (RE), #65 (RE), #70 (RE), #81 (RE). In addition to that, the track "Lost" was chosen as the focus track, debuting on #18. That is still a total of 8 tracks charting but the album has a total of 17 tracks and according to the weekly Spotify streaming numbers, probably all 9 remaining album tracks would normally have charted inside the Top 100 but were banned.

Comment

• One week later, we have another special situation because of the new rule. It looks like the label of german rapper Dardan forgot to tell gfk about a "focus track". In this case, the focus track should probably be the new single "Genauso" released last friday together with the album. The song spend the last 6 days inside the Spotify Top 10 and thus would normally be a guaranteed Top 20 new entry (maybe even Top 10). Now the track is banned from the chart like all other album tracks not released before last friday.

Comment

• Existing for more than 45 years and having charted for more than 30 years RUNRIG get their first #1-album. In Germany they reached the top-position after they had three #6-albums during the last years.

They have a solid fanbase here in Germany and the success is surely due to to the fact, that there are some different (and expensive) versions of the album/film.

They will drop next week a lot of places, but a #1-album is a nice success at the end of their career.
                                        The Singles-Chart-History with lots of artists and information:

www.chart-history.net

Comment

• Looking at their discography, they've never really been a thing in Germany - one gold plaque and that's it. So yeah, one No. 1 album is good in the books even though it was only made possibly through the combination of a slow sales week and expensive editions...
                                          Don't need hindsight
                                          And then disappear
                                          With one strike
                                          (All Saints)

Comment

Looking at their discography, they've never really been a thing in Germany - one gold plaque and that's it. So yeah, one No. 1 album is good in the books even though it was only made possibly through the combination of a slow sales week and expensive editions...
                                            I prefer a No. 1 because of expensive editions more than a No. 1 because of manipulated streaming numbers.

Comment

• So Capital Bra is to get his 17th German Number 1 Single this Week?

It is called 'Nummer 1'.

The other 16 were:

"5 Songs in einer Nacht", "Neymar", "One Night Stand", "Berlin lebt" ,"Für euch alle", "Melodien", "Roli Glitzer Glitzer", "Benzema", "Prinzessa" ,"DNA", "Wir ticken" ,"Cherry Lady", "Wieder Lila", "Royal Rumble", "Tilidin". "Zombie".

I keep seeing him being called 'The most successful German Chart Artist of All Time'.

However, he tends not to stay at No.1 for very long. It is obvious that it's the way the German Singles
                                              Chart is compiled these days, that gives a big 'New' Artist a big advantage. Then we have Helene Fischer,
                                              who genuinely has talent, and she is huge in the German Album Chart, but not so in the Singles Chart
                                              - apart from that huge No.3 Hit that she had a few Years ago - 'Atemlos durch die Nacht', which is now
                                              Germany's 2nd All Time Hit, based on Points in the Top 100...

However, I find it very sad, that Capital Bra has now had more German No.1 Singles than even The Beatles,
                                              who had 11 - or 12 - depending if you count the English and German 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', as 2 No.1's...

How long has Capital Bra spent in the German Singles Chart Top 10 - so far? The Beatles managed
                                              302 German Singles Chart Top 10 Weeks...

One Site gives The Beatles 39 Weeks at No.1 in the German Singles Chart. Another Site says
                                              that their Singles were No.1 there for 44 Weeks. Vdoerken's Site says they had 47 Weeks at No.1,
                                              in the German Singles Chart. Whichever German Chart Site, you look at, The Beatles are way ahead
                                              of Capital Bra, who will have 22 German No.1 Singles Weeks, when 'Nummer 1' is confirmed as a
                                              German No.1.

Zeus555
                                              Last edited by zeus555; Wed August 28th, 2019, 20:34.

Comment

• Which acts had more # 1s in any country than Capital Bra already have in Germany ?
                                                My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                                  Which acts had more # 1s in any country than Capital Bra already have in Germany ?
                                                  I guess AKB48 in Japan

Comment

• Yes AKBC48 are leading worldwide. It's hard to compare them to anyone else due to the fact that the Japanese market is so frontloaded - you won't have an album charting in the top 10 for 80 weeks there - but they are as successful in Japan as Helene Fischer in the GAS-countries. Besides, Mariah Carey also scored 18 No. 1 singles in the US.
                                                    Don't need hindsight
                                                    And then disappear
                                                    With one strike
                                                    (All Saints)

Comment

• Originally posted by zeus555 View Post
                                                      So Capital Bra is to get his 17th German Number 1 Single this Week?

It is called 'Nummer 1'.

The other 16 were:

"5 Songs in einer Nacht", "Neymar", "One Night Stand", "Berlin lebt" ,"Für euch alle", "Melodien", "Roli Glitzer Glitzer", "Benzema", "Prinzessa" ,"DNA", "Wir ticken" ,"Cherry Lady", "Wieder Lila", "Royal Rumble", "Tilidin". "Zombie".

I keep seeing him being called 'The most successful German Chart Artist of All Time'.

However, he tends not to stay at No.1 for very long. It is obvious that the way the German Singles
                                                      Chart is compiled these days, that gives a big 'New' Artist a big advantage. Then we have Helene Fischer,
                                                      who genuinely has talent, and she is huge in the German Album Chart, but not so in the Singles Chart
                                                      - apart from that huge No.3 Hit that he had a few Years ago - 'Atemlos durch die Nacht', which is now
                                                      Germany's 2nd All Time Hit, based on Points in the Top 100...

However, I find it very sad, that Capital Bra has now had more German No.1 Singles than even The Beatles,
                                                      who had 11 - or 12 - depending if you count the English and German 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', as 2 No.1's...

How long has Capital Bra spent in the German Singles Chart Top 10 - so far? The Beatles managed
                                                      302 German Singles Chart Top 10 Weeks...

One Site gives The Beatles 39 Weeks at No.1 in the German Singles Chart. Another Site says
                                                      that their Singles were No.1 there for 44 Weeks. Vdoerken's Site says they had 47 Weeks at No.1,
                                                      in the German Singles Chart. Whichever German Chart Site, you look at, The Beatles are way ahead
                                                      of Capital Bra, who will have 22 German No.1 Singles Weeks, when 'Nummer 1' is confirmed as a
                                                      German No.1.

Zeus555

I think a simple points based system is not well-balanced. The system of charts compiling and the way of consuming music changes every now and then. In the 50s and 60s charts were published once a month (counting 4 or 5 weeks) and twice a month (counting 2 or 3 weeks), so a No.1 in the 50s was on top for at least 4 weeks. In the second half of the 80s the songs had a short longevity, in the late 70s and early 90s a very long longevity, same when downloads began to count and had more impact than nowadays. These eras - in my opinion - have to be weighted accurately because it is not a sign for the quality of music, just system / consume based. In my All Time Charts Helene is at No.34, but it's the best song never reached the No.1 Spot.

Comment

• Yes, the Japanese 'Crowd', AKB 48 have had 31 No.1 Hits in the Global Charts. It is the most
                                                        by any Act. Madonna and Elvis Presley are 2nd with 22 Global No.1's each . However, AKB 48
                                                        only get to No.1 due to really big Japanese Sales in Week 1. In Week 2 their Singles are unable
                                                        to stay at No.1. That's why their 31 No.1's have only spent 31 Weeks at No.1. Madonna's 22
                                                        were No.1 for 137 Weeks. Elvis's 22 were No.1 for 130 Weeks. The Beatles are the Act with
                                                        the 4th most Global No.1's - 21. But they have the most Global No.1 Weeks - 162.

Capital Bra is hardly known outside Germany, Austria and Switzerland. He obviously finds it so
                                                        easy, to have German No.1 Singles, that it is a big unknown, how many more he can achieve,
                                                        before he either retires, has a huge scandal that destroys his Career, or for his German Fans
                                                        to start to lose all interest in him. No Act is huge forever. Hopefully, the over-rated 'One' will
                                                        start to fade away, before too many more Months have gone by...He does not deserve to be
                                                        Germany's 'Most Successful Chart Act'...

Zeus555

Comment

• I think what makes it even harder is that theoretically a song could be the best selling single of the month without ever being at number one on the weekly charts.

Comment

• Is it only streaming effect (like that hilarious US # 1 album, which got 99 % points from streaming and sold only 600 copies) or Capital Bra also had good sales numbers (at least for the first week of each single release) ?
                                                            My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• AnnenMayKanntereit's 'Schlagschatten' just received gold for 100k+ copies shipped. As it has charted for 37 weeks and was in the top 10 during the Christmas weeks, I would've expected platinum at this stage. Were sales lower than usual during the Christmas season '18 or is the album's good chrt run related to it being sold for a higher than usual price?
                                                              Don't need hindsight
                                                              And then disappear
                                                              With one strike
                                                              (All Saints)

Comment

Working...
                                                              X