The No. 1 magazine archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The No. 1 magazine archives

Hello everybody! Badly need help - there was not long ago a great site with the full archives of "No. 1" magazine, created by someone called Shane Marais (so the site was called shanemarais.net). I used it quite a lot once, but got distracted by work - and when I checked recently, the site simply vanished, nowhere to be found with no reason as to why!

As you people maybe know, "No. 1" carried the Network Chart in the second half of the 1980s. I got to get all charts they published up until May 1989. Maybe someone did better and got all of them? I'd really appreciate the help with them - especially the album charts.

Anyone?

I've got the Network Singles and most of the Albums charts to August 1990, they are the chart pages of what I assume is No.1 magazine. They were uploaded by Graham76man to his website a number of years ago. I can't remember the url for his website / blog. However if he reads this and doesn't mind me sharing the charts I'll post up a OneDrive link. Or maybe you could PM Graham and point him in the direction of this thread?

https://www.ukmix.org/member.php?27190-Graham76man

Comment

I may have what you are looking for please pm me!

Andy

Comment

https://web.archive.org/web/20181117...anemarais.net/

only images

Originally posted by Passing_Strang View Post
        Hello everybody! Badly need help - there was not long ago a great site with the full archives of "No. 1" magazine, created by someone called Shane Marais (so the site was called shanemarais.net). I used it quite a lot once, but got distracted by work - and when I checked recently, the site simply vanished, nowhere to be found with no reason as to why!
        Last edited by anpt; Thu March 28, 2019, 17:10.
        --
        2019: 472. @anpt 47 posts

Comment

Just seen this thread.
          Here's the link to my blog and the charts including Record Business ones.
          https://therealchart.blogspot.com/20...00-charts.html
          Last edited by Graham76man; Thu March 28, 2019, 23:47. Reason: Correcting link
          Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

If you search for Shawn's Number One site, all you get is a message saying "contact support".
            I looked this up on the web and it's a technical issue on the website, somewhat common. But the website owner - Shawn needs to sort this out. So if anyone knows him contact him and say there's a technical issue that needs sorting out.

Comment

Thanks for posting the link Graham. The url you posted has both http:\\ and https:\\ in it and so as a result the page doesn't load. I'm not sure how that has happened if it is a straightforward copy and paste from the browser address field but the correct url is https://therealchart.blogspot.com/20...00-charts.html

I've been trying to find the address of your website / blog for a while so again thanks for posting a link to it.

Comment

Actually Robbie I posted the link using the link button next to the smiley face. But you don't seem to need it as the link appears on it's own with just a straight paste of the link

Comment

Shane Marais has vanished from Twitter, too. Sad. Personal issues?
                  You can still access Smash Hits archives via Brian McCloskey, though. http://likepunkneverhappened.blogspot.com/

No charts, of course but Graham can give you those.
                  Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Guys, thank you very much for all your answers and suggestions. A pity Shane seems to disappear - the No. 1 archive was such a welcome addition and I intended to work with it as close as with the aforementioned Smash Hits archive. Hopefully one day it'll reappear in some form or the other.

Comment

If the Number One Magazine full issues are likely to appear anywhere it will be one the site below. It already has many of the music papers from the UK and more are added each week or so.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Record_Mirror.htm

The link takes you to the Record Mirror one. But if you put your pointer over the section marked Music Magazines a menu will drop down - then select Music Industry and the rest of them appear.

Internet Archive also have some Smash Hits issues which you can download as PDF files.

https://archive.org/

Comment

i printed them off when the site was up and running do you want scans ?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyisland59 View Post
                          i printed them off when the site was up and running do you want scans ?
                          Tony, I would absolutely love to get anything since June 1989 until the end! Yes, please

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy61 View Post
                            I may have what you are looking for please pm me!
                            Andy, sent you PM (twice?), but got no response. Hope everything's OK?

Comment

For part of 1989 and 1990, I did 'Number One's Weekly Chart Commentary.

I was paid 20 per Week. However, I now regard the Columns as 'Garbage',
                              and I am embarrassed by them.

At the end of 1989 I did various Decade End Lists for them, based on both the
                              UK and USA Charts of the 1980's.

In 1990 they fired me, as I kept being a bit late, in Faxing my Column through.
                              They gave me a lecture about how they expected their Staff to be on time...

It took me Decades to recover from being fired! The shame! The indignity! (LOL),

Zeus555
                              Last edited by zeus555; Fri April 5, 2019, 17:01.

Comment

All good thanks - just been away for a few days.

Comment

well i am looking at them now and i have all the charts stuff i will scan them to here if allowed ?

Comment

Tony, you can maybe simply upload the files to some filesharing service - like zippyshare, for example? That'll be quicker and won't take up too much space

Comment

Tony, you can maybe simply upload the files to some filesharing service - like zippyshare, for example? That'll be quicker and won't take up too much space
                                      Uploading to a filesharing service is a good idea. Unfortunately not to zippyshare though as for some reason access to the site is blocked to anyone with a UK IP address. The block has been in place for about a month now and surprisingly it appears to be something that zippyshare itself has put in place.

https://torrentfreak.com/zippyshare-...ut-why-190315/

Comment

Simply copy the scan files as a PDF and then upload them to PDF Archive. It's a free service and they don't take them down. You can also get a PDF Printer for free. It's called PDF24. You download the software and then when you are using any software at all, you go to the print option of that software and instead of your hard copy printer, you select PDF 24 from the menu. It then output's any file as a PDF file.
                                        https://www.pdf-archive.com/

You do have to register with PDF archive, but it's free.

Comment

Seemingly the problem is solved (crosses fingers).

Comment

Wishful thinking!
                                            Any link now takes you to a dedicated menu, but clicking Vintage Magazines produces no results - as yet!

Comment

I'm a bit confused. What problem is solved? I've read through the thread several times and can't find what you might be referring to! Also Graham posted that any link leads to a dedicated menu but I can't work out what website he's referring to. Presumably whatever the website is has had the problem solved but I can't work out what the website is!

Comment

Well, the problem was with the Network Chart that I asked for. It'm getting there, just received charts up until August 1989, so only about four months left.

As for the website - it's the one I mentioned in the first post: shanemarais.net But I wasn't referring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham76man View Post
                                                  Wishful thinking!
                                                  Any link now takes you to a dedicated menu, but clicking Vintage Magazines produces no results - as yet!
                                                  I didn't mean the problem with shanemarais.net - that, I feel, is gone forever. I meant I'm getting the charts I asked for here.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X