Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official ... Book Series

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I bought the official Singles charts: The Noughties and is missing the alphabetical order and a chapter focus on the best selling singles of each year from 2000 to 2009. If there's a book from OCC you expect more than that and not trust in Wikipedia with fake information.
    Buy The Official Singles Chart - The Noughties by Graham Betts (ISBN: 9781790556663) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.

    Comment


    • None of the books feature a listing of the best selling albums of the period in question.

      The books do what they are supposed to do which is list only the weekly charts or a listing of the peak that record reached together with the weeks on chart organised by artists.

      It can be difficult to accurately have a list of the best sellers for a particular year. Billboard did theirs by points and ran 1st December to 31st November so they could meet a publishing deadline. Frequently the best sellers of the year on the UK up until the last twenty years ran from January to mid December again for publishing reasons. It’s o my really been the rise of computers and the internet (mid 1990’ Onwards that has lead to the best sellers of the year being produced for the full year.
      http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

      Comment


      • camdwntownjohn
        camdwntownjohn commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember Record Mirror publishing the official chart of the year, I think in 1976, stating that the chart was from something like 30th November 1975 to 30th November 1976

    • As to your first comment, none of the weekly chart books feature a listing by alphabetical order of the records listed. That’s in the Hits books.
      http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

      Comment


      • I was literally on cloud number 9 when I found out about these books and had to buy the ALBUMS ones straight away, something I was waiting for since forever.

        When I will have enough time in my hands, I think I'm going to collect all the missing positions which were not considered "officially" (that is positions 76 and lower).

        As you contributed in this collection, I want to thank you too kingofskiffle
        LAST.FM

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LittleArsonist View Post
          As you contributed in this collection, I want to thank you too kingofskiffle
          Thank you. All I did was answer a few points where there is confusion over some areas but really happy to support this as it is wonderful the OCC are giving chart fans books again. It's 10 years since the last chart collection and Graham has worked really hard on getting these right and wants them to be perfect.

          http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
          Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

          Comment


          • Lonnie is being a little bit too modest - his help and assistance have ensured the books are as accurate as they possibly can be, thanks to his checking the manuscripts before they go live.

            Comment


            • Any news on when the 10s books will be out.

              Comment


              • We're working on them as we speak and I expect them to be out sometime in early March.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hotspurman View Post
                  We're working on them as we speak and I expect them to be out sometime in early March.
                  Yay! Brilliant news, thank you!

                  Looking forward to the '10s books coming out, and I'm also going to treat myself to a copy of the 90s singles chart book while I'm at it!
                  Last edited by donnahjaneymac; Tue February 25th, 2020, 12:35.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Hotspurman View Post
                    We're working on them as we speak and I expect them to be out sometime in early March.
                    Just wondering whether the release of these been delayed due to what’s going on in this crazy world right now?

                    Would love to have a copy to peruse for these long and indoor days but I understand.

                    Comment


                    • All the bits I needed to do have been done - I'm just waiting on the OCC to write their forewords for the four books and check the introductions in case I've said anything contentious (if I wrote what I really wanted to about the carve up of the British record industry they would not get released owing to the libel laws!). I'm reliably informed that this should be done within the next day or so. I've also liaised with the designer to make sure he has the correct templates, so I reckon we could be just about ready to go by the end of the week.

                      I've also been working on making all the chart books available as ebooks - this has not been easy as ebooks don't recognise table layouts, so I've had to come up with a way around that particular problem. I think I've done it, and this too is with the OCC for them to check - given the current state of the country we might well release these soon after the last of the physical books are made available.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Hotspurman View Post
                        All the bits I needed to do have been done - I'm just waiting on the OCC to write their forewords for the four books and check the introductions in case I've said anything contentious (if I wrote what I really wanted to about the carve up of the British record industry they would not get released owing to the libel laws!). I'm reliably informed that this should be done within the next day or so. I've also liaised with the designer to make sure he has the correct templates, so I reckon we could be just about ready to go by the end of the week.

                        I've also been working on making all the chart books available as ebooks - this has not been easy as ebooks don't recognise table layouts, so I've had to come up with a way around that particular problem. I think I've done it, and this too is with the OCC for them to check - given the current state of the country we might well release these soon after the last of the physical books are made available.
                        Is anyone from the OCC actually in their office in County Hall? The BPI seem to have gone AWOL judging by the lack of updates on their website and they are in the same building. The OCC have kept updating their website but I was wondering if all this was being done remotely, from home. If the country does go into full lockdown mode as is expected in the next few days I expect both the OCC and Kantar Millward Brown will be shuttering their offices for several weeks.

                        Comment


                        • All working from home as far as I can tell - I had to help them with a news story/feature last week as the person concerned didn't have access to the relevant reference books at home!

                          Comment


                          • I also assume it's the same for the BPI - I still got the BRIT certifications through last Friday, so someone has access to the data.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Hotspurman View Post
                              I've also been working on making all the chart books available as ebooks - this has not been easy as ebooks don't recognise table layouts, so I've had to come up with a way around that particular problem. I think I've done it, and this too is with the OCC for them to check - given the current state of the country we might well release these soon after the last of the physical books are made available.
                              This would be brilliant! Any idea how much they might be?

                              Comment


                              • I've given them three different pricing suggestions, but ultimately it will be down to the OCC.

                                Comment


                                • These are a brilliant set of books. There may be the odd mistake, but I don't think anybody at all could have done any better. As regards the chart used it would be great to see the other charts from the 50/60s (perhaps a future book?) but after the original Guinness and Virgin books it would be foolish to quickly change to another. I have bought all the Hit Books and may buy the singles and albums books, but I am happy with these on the OCC's page. I would ideally have liked them in an alphabetical order (reducing artistss' information at the start) but realise how much extra work would be required in such a short time makes it practically impossible. Can't wait for the 10's. Thank you once more.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by synthfan View Post
                                    These are a brilliant set of books. There may be the odd mistake, but I don't think anybody at all could have done any better. As regards the chart used it would be great to see the other charts from the 50/60s (perhaps a future book?) but after the original Guinness and Virgin books it would be foolish to quickly change to another. I have bought all the Hit Books and may buy the singles and albums books, but I am happy with these on the OCC's page. I would ideally have liked them in an alphabetical order (reducing artistss' information at the start) but realise how much extra work would be required in such a short time makes it practically impossible. Can't wait for the 10's. Thank you once more.
                                    Yeah spot on, I've spotting a few mistakes.

                                    Just one example:

                                    80's Singles Book:

                                    Duran Duran

                                    Planet Earth
                                    21/02/1981: 67-52-47-26-20-{12}-16-22-23-40-47->11

                                    According to the book & UK Complete Charts where Graham got his info from Lonnie,
                                    "Planet Earth" charted for 14 weeks,
                                    12th week on 09/05/1981, 13th & 14th [13th & 20th June] which should have been "Careless Memories".

                                    Careless Memories
                                    09/05/1981: 55-38-{37}-37-38-48-65->7

                                    1st Week: http://scans.chartarchive.org/UK/198...1981.05.09.pdf
                                    6th Week: http://scans.chartarchive.org/UK/198...1981.06.13.pdf
                                    7th Week: http://scans.chartarchive.org/UK/198...1981.06.20.pdf

                                    In the OCC/Graham's book 1st charted on 16/05/1981 as a new entry @ 38
                                    In the 80's Hits book put as 7 weeks for "Careless Memories" but 4 weeks in the 80's Singles Book.

                                    Maybe when the Ebooks come out, they might update them.

                                    I know you can't get everything right & everybody can make mistakes but the books are still good.
                                    Last edited by Woz1234; Sat March 28th, 2020, 16:49.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Woz1234 View Post
                                      According to the book & UK Complete Charts where Graham got his info from Lonnie,
                                      Just want to mention that all the data Graham used came from his own collection. The above could be read that I sent him my data (which I did not) and all I did was assist in checking the books. My role, as I think Graham has said, was one of checking data only.

                                      Graham has done really well, and you are right everybody can make mistakes. One thing which I think is worth noting here is that we actually ain't had any current chart books for ten years. The last time was the Virgin Book in 2009 and so it's brilliant that books like this are finally being done again.

                                      If you do have other examples of errors then do pass along. Some may be errors relating to interpretation and then hangs can be clarified.
                                      http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                                      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by synthfan View Post
                                        These are a brilliant set of books. There may be the odd mistake, but I don't think anybody at all could have done any better. As regards the chart used it would be great to see the other charts from the 50/60s (perhaps a future book?) but after the original Guinness and Virgin books it would be foolish to quickly change to another. I have bought all the Hit Books and may buy the singles and albums books, but I am happy with these on the OCC's page. I would ideally have liked them in an alphabetical order (reducing artistss' information at the start) but realise how much extra work would be required in such a short time makes it practically impossible. Can't wait for the 10's. Thank you once more.
                                        Shameless plug: If you are interested in other charts form the 1950's and 1960's check the link in my footer.
                                        http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                                        Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

                                        Comment


                                        • Well that explains the weird second chart run for Planet Earth that is shown on the OCC website.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by kingofskiffle View Post

                                            Just want to mention that all the data Graham used came from his own collection. The above could be read that I sent him my data (which I did not) and all I did was assist in checking the books. My role, as I think Graham has said, was one of checking data only.

                                            Graham has done really well, and you are right everybody can make mistakes. One thing which I think is worth noting here is that we actually ain't had any current chart books for ten years. The last time was the Virgin Book in 2009 and so it's brilliant that books like this are finally being done again.

                                            If you do have other examples of errors then do pass along. Some may be errors relating to interpretation and then hangs can be clarified.
                                            That's true, Graham has been brilliant producing these books which I've got all of them & I'm looking forward to the 2010's Books (Hits,Singles,Albums & Compilations) when they get released, all the info making there debut except the 1st 4 months.

                                            The last was The Virgin Book of British Hit Singles: Volume 2 in November 2010
                                            which covered up to 10th April 2010.
                                            Last edited by Woz1234; Sat March 28th, 2020, 18:10.

                                            Comment

                                            Working...
                                            X