No announcement yet.

Highest Grossing Live Acts of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've added what I perceive are the 9 biggest women touring acts in the females post and will continue to focus on women - I'm not sure who the 10th biggest is, is there another woman over $500m? Rihanna maybe?

In terms of the numbers above, always open to scrutiny - just please make sure you post constructively and challenge numbers with reasoning and logic.

I think I'll look at next...

* Adele
    * Katy Perry
    * Whitney Houston
    * Janet Jackson
    * Mariah Carey
    * Shakira
    * Kylie Minogue
    * Ariana Grande
    * Jennifer Lopez

Comment

Great work!
      Thanks!

Comment

That's more like it! Keep it up! ;)
        C h e r
        51 singles on Billboard Hot100~Top 10 albums in 5 decades~110+ million records sold
        Oscar~Grammy~Emmy~Golden Globe winner
        Touring force
        Legend

Comment

Is there a way of recalculating totals based on inflation?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo76 View Post
            That's a great idea, would love to see those totals!
            C h e r
            51 singles on Billboard Hot100~Top 10 albums in 5 decades~110+ million records sold
            Touring force
            Legend

Comment

I would love to see gross totals for other veteran (pre 80s) female artists apart from Cher and Tina - Bette Midler, Diana Ross, Barbra, etc. Just look at the male top 10, most of them are veteran acts and is another proof of how difficult it is for female artists to keep selling records, having big tours and compete in the industry.
              C h e r
              Touring force
              Legend

Comment

No. We don't inflate Album sales. Same game different park.

Beyonce could possibly take number 2 next year with her up coming stadium tour. A legend

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                  No. We don't inflate Album sales. Same game different park.

Beyonce could possibly take number 2 next year with her up coming stadium tour. A legend
                  She has absolutely no chance of doing this - Madonna will only add to her total, as will Céline (I suspect Céline to be close to $1.7 billion and Madonna will be comfortably in the $1.5-$1.6 billion bracket.

Comment

It depends on the approach; if you were to inflation adjust based on the year the tour started, it would be fairly easy to make an educated assumption. But some of the more established acts had tours across 2-3 years, and that's when it gets more complicated.

I've reworked Cher (as an example) and inflation adjusted using the tour start year as the key piece of data, her total jumps by almost $230m (inflation adjusted).

Clearly, for this topic, we will be using the data as it is accrued - but inflation does provide interesting angle on the data.

Cher (INFLATION ADJUSTED)

Total Shows:
                    Total Tickets:
                    Total Gross: $659,129,115 $888,700,000 (+$229,600,000)

1979 - Cher in Concert:
                    25 shows / $7,100,000 grossed / 125,000 tickets
                    1979 - A Celebration at Caesar's Palace (Las Vegas): 97 shows / $24,800,000 grossed / 300,000 tickets
                    1989 - Heart of Stone Tour:
                    89 shows / $49,800,000 grossed / 700,000 tickets
                    1991 - Love Hurts Tour: 42 shows / $14,200,000 grossed / 200,000 tickets
                    1999 - Do You Believe?: 122 shows / $129,700,000 grossed / 1,500,000 tickets
                    2002 - Living Proof: The Farewell Tour: 326 shows / $331,700,000 grossed / 3,300,000 tickets
                    2008 - Cher (Las Vegas): 192 shows / $116,400,000 grossed / 697,765 tickets
                    2014 - Dressed to Kill Tour: 49 shows / $59,900,000 grossed / 610,413 tickets
                    2017 - Classic Cher (Las Vegas): 108 shows / $54,100,000 grossed / 339,994 tickets (ongoing)
                    2018 - Here We Go Again Tour: 108 shows / $101,000,000 grossed / 807,892 tickets (ongoing)

Comment

Thanks so much for calculating those [MENTION=11323]Wayne[/MENTION], very interesting to see!!!

By the way, my spread sheet was showing an estimated $10 million for the 'Love Hurts Tour' based on 24 dates. Turns out that the tour had 43 dates so I assume the gross should be more than that, especially more than the $7.5 million that you have estimated?
                      It definitely grossed more than 5 million in the US alone, and was sold out in Europe on the back of the success of the Love Hurts album. With that in mind, the total should be around $12 million.
                      C h e r
                      Touring force
                      Legend

Comment

We've got 17 female acts in the database thus far...

Highest Grossing Female Soloists

1. Celine Dion – $1.465 billion
                        2. Madonna – $1.450 billion
                        3. Beyonce – $1.033 billion
                        4. Taylor Swift – $936.7 million
                        5. Pink – $834.2 million
                        6. Lady Gaga – $663.8 million
                        7. Cher – $659.1 million
                        8. Britney Spears – $569.3 million
                        9. Tina Turner – $561.2 million
                        10. Rihanna - $451.2 million
                        11. Janet Jackson - $353.8 million
                        12. Adele - $286.9 million
                        13. Mariah Carey - $255.4 million
                        14. Whitney Houston - $248.5 million
                        15. Ariana Grande - $244.6 million
                        16. Miley Cyrus - $216.5 million
                        17. Christina Aguilera - $158.0 million

Full details on page one, please feel free to challenge the numbers but as stated, please make sure your claims are informed ones. Still to come...

* Katy Perry
                        * Shakira
                        * Jennifer Lopez
                        * Barbra Streisand
                        * Kylie Minogue
                        * Reba McEntire
                        * Shania Twain
                        * Kelly Clarkson
                        * Carrie Underwood
                        * Faith Hill

Comment

Crikey, Barbra Streisand charges a lot of money doesn't she...

Barbra Streisand

Total Shows:
                          ​101
                          Total Tickets:
                          Total Gross: $376,828,605

1966 - An Evening with Barbra Streisand: shows / gross / 70,000 tickets
                          1994 - Barbra Streisand in Concert: 26 shows / $68,000,000 grossed / 340,000 tickets
                          1999 - Timeless: 10 shows / $70,000,000 grossed / 220,000 tickets
                          2006 - Streisand: 29 shows / $119,500,000 grossed / 410,000 tickets
                          2012 - Barbra Live - 20 shows / $66,328,605 grossed / 254,958 tickets
                          2016 - Barbra: The Music, The Mem'ries, The Magic: 16 shows / $53,000,000 grossed / 200,000 tickets

If anyone can assist with the 1966 numbers/estimates, that would be appreciated.

I would suggest that just over 100 shows, she is (for now) comfortably the 11th biggest female touring act of all-time with an average ticket price maintained over the years that to this date, is still higher than $250. Utterly sensational.

Comment

Highest Grossing Female Soloists

1. Celine Dion – $1.465 billion
                            2. Madonna – $1.450 billion
                            3. Beyonce – $1.033 billion
                            4. Taylor Swift – $936.7 million
                            5. Pink – $834.2 million
                            6. Lady Gaga – $663.8 million
                            7. Cher – $659.1 million
                            8. Britney Spears – $569.3 million
                            9. Tina Turner – $561.2 million
                            10. Rihanna - $451.2 million
                            11. Katy Perry - $388.8 million
                            12. Barbra Streisand - $376.8 million
                            13. Shania Twain - $367.0 million
                            14. Shakira - $357.3 million
                            15. Janet Jackson - $353.8 million
                            16. Kylie Minogue - $306.2 million
                            17. Faith Hill - $294.5 million
                            18. Adele - $286.9 million
                            19. Mariah Carey - $255.4 million
                            20. Whitney Houston - $248.5 million
                            21. Ariana Grande - $244.6 million
                            22. Miley Cyrus - $216.5 million
                            23. Christina Aguilera - $158.0 million

So I've updated it to 23 artists now - early Shakira numbers are really hard to come by so I've made an estimate based on average ticket price at the time with a bit on top given the dates were international.

The biggest revelation thus far is just how strong the top 5 are (and continue to be - both Taylor and P!nk will eventually join the "billionaires" club and both Céline and Madonna will continue to add to their totals for many months yet. It's also rumoured that Beyoncé is set to announce a new tour).

Amazing numbers from Babs also.

Further down the list, I was shocked by how many people Shania and Janet have both played to. Mariah has also quietly added to her total over the last decade - in the last 10 years, her numbers have improved by almost 120% when compared to where she was at the end of the 2000s.

Comment

the end of a huge touring force, Lady Gaga
                              f*ck fibro

Comment

It's amazing to see how Celine and Madonna are top 2. If the touring business was in the in the 80's and 90's like it became from 00's onward, these two would completely dwarf the rest of the girls. Just proves how much staying power and popularity they had throughout these 4 decades. Bravo girls!

And both of them basically set the precedent for a type of touring. Madonna with her on the road huge pop extravaganza shows and Celine with LV residencies.
                                I have received many gifts from God,
                                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

I expected Barbra to be way higher in that list.
                                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Madonna should've done a proper arena tour instead of messy theatre tour.
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                      Madonna should've done a proper arena tour instead of messy theatre tour.
                                      Are you used to people telling you what you should do instead of what you're actually doing in your life? Because I don't know how else to explain your obsession with what Madonna should do (in you opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                        And both of them basically set the precedent for a type of touring. Madonna with her on the road huge pop extravaganza shows and Celine with LV residencies.
                                        Actually, the pop extravaganza theatrical shows were built up on something that divas like Cher and Bette Midler did on their tours decades earlier. Riding a mechanical bull for example, wearing elaborate costumes, having gigantic props and numerous back-up dancers, and many other things before anyone else did in the area of live performing. I'm not trying to make this into a "stan war", just giving credit where it's due.

C h e r
                                        Touring force
                                        Legend

Comment

Chile, you are trying to start a stan war. Bless Cher and you too, but the ideas for those kind of shows existed way before Cher or Bette. Look up varieties. Before that you had circus etc. And also residencies weren't Celine's invention. People did those before she even started her career. What Madonna and Celine did was push those type of shows as templates for what those tours should be in the mainstream. That's the only correct receipt there is.

Comment

Janet's State of the World tour had a 2nd leg in 2018 and ended with 79 shows in total.
                                            Then she also recently concluded her 30th Anniversary Celebration mini tour for Rhythm Nation with 11 shows.

Comment

Originally posted by red3269 View Post
                                              Janet's State of the World tour had a 2nd leg in 2018 and ended with 79 shows in total.
                                              Then she also recently concluded her 30th Anniversary Celebration mini tour for Rhythm Nation with 11 shows.
                                              I didn’t include that as I thought it was all festival dates - am I mistaken? And if I am, do you know of any published boxscores?

Comment

Australian shows were all festival dates and she co-headlined, but those scores don't count towards her tour gross.

Comment

Australian shows were all festival dates and she co-headlined, but those scores don't count towards her tour gross.
                                                  I thought that - festival dates haven't been included for others as far as I can see, so I won't include them for Janet either.

Comment

Are you used to people telling you what you should do instead of what you're actually doing in your life? Because I don't know how else to explain your obsession with what Madonna should do (in you opinion).
                                                    How do you explain your obsession to reply to my posts?
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                    X