Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SoundScan Era - USA's Best Selling Artists and Albums

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Basil
    Originally posted by evaorig
    I know there is already a Elvis Sales thread here but I have a soundscan question. Has Elvis had a album in the soundscan era scan over 4 million? If anyone knows the answer please post here, thank you.
    Hi evaorig

    No, his largest soundscan figure is for No.1 Hits. The last figure I saw was on Hanboo's thread in May 2005. It was 3,662,300. It might make 4m by the end of the year.

    I don't think anything else is even close. 2nd to None is over 1m scanned, and the Christmas Album may be over 1m too. Everything else, I believe, is under 1m.
    Thanks Basil for taking the time to answer my post , you do such a wonderful job with the soundscan totals here. I look forward to checking this thread once a week to see the latest.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Basil
      Originally posted by aez
      Great Topic Basil!

      ... do you know wich are the best selling chritmas albums in the SoundScan Era?
      Only 6 Christmas Albums have shipped more than 5,000,000 copies.

      1957 Elvis Presley - Christmas Album - 9,000,000
      1994 Kenny G - Miracles, The Holiday Album - 8,000,000
      1988 Mannheim Steamroller - Christmas - 6,000,000
      1984 Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire Christmas - 6,000,000
      1967 Barbra Streisand - Christmas Album - 5,000,000
      1984 Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas - 5,000,000

      You can find the top everything like live albums and soundtracks at

      http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=50

      Since soundscan started in 1991, I have only 3 figures

      Kenny G - Miracles - 7,103,000 feb 2004
      Celine Dion - These Are Special Times - 4,578,000 feb 2005
      Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas - 4,487,000 feb 2005

      does anyone have any more which have scanned at least 1,000,000?
      So Celine Dion has the best selling female christmas album of the SoundScan Era!?!!!

      Why These Are Special Times hasn't been certified 5XPlatinum! if it has sold more copies than Mariah's Merry Christmas(certified 5XP)???

      Comment


      • I'm wondering if there is any information out there on soundscan era totals for Motown groups: The Temptations, The Four Tops, Supremes, The Jackson Five and any others? thanks in advance.

        Comment


        • Could anyone please post the Soundscan totals of Dire Straits albums and if possible, Silverchair albums for the U.S?

          Comment


          • May 25, 1991,
            A Letter From The Publisher; Billboard Debuts Piece Counts On Two Music Sales Charts

            HOWARD LANDER
            To our readers:
            This is a week of historic change for Billboard magazine. For more than 30 years, our sales charts have relied on rankings of best-selling records obtained from stores, over the telephone or by messenger service. Until now, the only technological changes have been the introduction of computers to tally the data more quickly and the recent usage of fax machines -- but the basic methodology has remained the same.
            In the last few years, the introduction of point-of-sale systems that scan bar codes at retail checkout counters has made possible a whole new degree of accuracy for measuring record sales: the ability to count precisely the number of units sold, rather than just a ranking of titles. Billboard has worked diligently over the last two years to take advantage of this new technology to produce more accurate charts. With this issue we are proud to begin using actual piece counts for two of our leading charts: Top Pop Albums and Top Country Albums. Eventually, actual units sold will be used as the basis for other music sales charts in the magazine.

            The introduction of this new technology will cause some drastic movement of titles up and down the two charts this week. This is a natural adjustment to a radically different methodology. The chart should quickly settle down to more gradual patterns of movement. Billboard will retain sole editorial responsibility for the awarding of bullets, which are earned by those records registering strong upward growth. The sales figures, however, are provided by SoundScan Inc., an outside music research firm that has exclusive rights to the sales data for most of the leading record retailers in the U.S.
            The initial sample for the pop and country album charts is derived from weekly piece-count sales from outlets in the following major chains: Camelot, Musicland, Music Plus, National Record Mart, Record Bar, Record World, Sound Warehouse, and Trans World. Important regional and local chains include Spec's and Q (both based in Florida); Starship (Georgia/Alabama/Carolinas); Flip Side and Rose Stirling (Illinois); Record Shop (Minnesota and California); and Streetside (Missouri); plus more than two dozen smaller retailers.
            In all, more than 2,000 retail locations around the country will be contributing their sales data to the two charts. Racked accounts are represented by the nation's largest rackjobber, The Handleman Co., with more than 4,000 mass-merchandise locations. Altogether, 40% of the records sold in the U.S. are tracked through these accounts, and a projection is done to verify that the sample is properly weighted for each geographic region. SoundScan will be adding accounts on a regular basis, including some 300 additional independent retailers.
            We believe the new system is a significant improvement over any previous chart methodology used by this or any other magazine. Because the new system measures actual sales of all albums, a major objective was to ensure that older albums, which might be strong sellers, would not crowd current titles, and especially titles by developing acts, off the charts. Billboard has a historic commitment to foster development of new talent. We believe the solution is the creation of catalog charts, which are being launched in this issue. Those titles that have fallen off the current chart for a significant period of time will be charted as catalog product. The Top Pop Catalog Albums chart (page 76) will have 50 positions; the Top Country Catalog Albums chart (page 30) will have 25 titles.
            This is an exciting week for Billboard and its readers. We are proud to be leading the way with more accurate information that will be beneficial to all segments of the music industry, including artists, managers, record labels, retailers, wholesalers, radio stations, concert promoters, agents, music publishers, songwriters, and, of course, the countless millions of fans who look to Billboard as the official gauge of a record's success.
            We'll soon be announcing the conversion of additional charts to piece-count data and also will announce expanded usage of monitored radio airplay information from Broadcast Data Systems. It's full-speed ahead into the future for Billboard magazine.$00:9100010287:A48E510608970002:

            (c) BPI Communications Inc., 1991 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

            Comment


            • Originally posted by aez
              So Celine Dion has the best selling female christmas album of the SoundScan Era!?!!!

              Why These Are Special Times hasn't been certified 5XPlatinum! if it has sold more copies than Mariah's Merry Christmas(certified 5XP)???
              Yes, Celine Dion has the best selling female Christmas Album since 1991.

              For some reason Celine's record company are holding back on re-certifing several of her titles. No idea why.

              Come October/November these titles should make their annual appearance on Hanboo's weekly Analysis of US Chart and their soundscan totals will grow again edging towards 5m.
              See Page One of my threads for all updates

              Comment


              • Originally posted by evaorig
                I'm wondering if there is any information out there on soundscan era totals for Motown groups: The Temptations, The Four Tops, Supremes, The Jackson Five and any others? thanks in advance.
                I seen no info evaorig. Would love totals on the leading Motown groups. They have huge CD catalogues available in the US, so the totals must be considerable now. Will keep looking. Maybe some of the Motown websites have this information somewhere!
                See Page One of my threads for all updates

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bemused
                  Could anyone please post the Soundscan totals of Dire Straits albums and if possible, Silverchair albums for the U.S?
                  John2000 posted a figure for Brothers in Arms on page 4 of this thread.

                  It was 1,096,295.

                  No totals for these bands unfortunately. We live in hope.
                  See Page One of my threads for all updates

                  Comment


                  • Thanks Basil for answering. Just a shame how record companies under report sales all the time. This site and you and Hanboo in particular do such a great job with what information you do get to post.

                    Comment


                    • Thanks Basil!

                      Do you think that Marry Christmas will beat These Are Special Times this winter?
                      I really don't know, Mariah is doing great in the US so maybe more people will buy her Christmas album, but Celine's These Are Special Times appears in the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Cahrt each winter, while Mariah doesn't... so what do you think?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by aez
                        Celine's These Are Special Times appears in the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Cahrt each winter, while Mariah doesn't:
                        That's actually not true, "Merry Christmas" re-enters the Pop Catalogue every year, it was even #1 on the Chart in 1995.

                        Comment


                        • Re: SoundScan Era - USA's Best Selling Artists and Albums

                          Best Catalogue Sellers in 2000 :

                          Pink Floyd - 2.01 million - 31.5M since 1991.
                          Dave Matthews Band - 1.40 million - 26.5M since 1991.
                          Elvis Presley - 1.33 million - 24.5M since 1991.
                          Frank Sinatra - 1.32 million - 21.8M since 1991.
                          Led Zeppelin - 1.32 million - 22.0M since 1991.
                          AC/DC - 1.23 million - 22.0M since 1991.
                          Bob Dylan - 1.19 million ???????
                          The Eagles - 1.03 million - 24.4M since 1991.

                          It will be very interesting if one people here found Bob Dylan soundscan sales figures !
                          25 June 2009, the day the Music died

                          Comment


                          • In the first page it is said that REM has sold 11.2 million in the soundscan era, but i have found an article that says:http://www.murmurs.com/talk/showthread.php?t=82850
                            IN september 1.998 the next sales for the then last four albums:
                            1991 out of time 4,2 million
                            1992 automatic for the people 3,1 million
                            1994 monster 2,7 million
                            1996 new adventures.. 950,000

                            Total REM soundscan sales (september 1998) 14,3 million.

                            I don,t know if it is right but it is an article from billboard.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by seattleboy
                              Originally posted by aez
                              Celine's These Are Special Times appears in the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Cahrt each winter, while Mariah doesn't:
                              That's actually not true, "Merry Christmas" re-enters the Pop Catalogue every year,
                              Maybe you're right... guess I havent noticed this album because it hasn't chart very high in the Pop Catolog on recent years, Celine's These Are Special Times allways enter the Top 5.

                              it was even #1 on the Chart in 1995.
                              Well... That was long time ago...

                              Comment


                              • What about christina aguilera? I think she's sold about 14million albums but i'm not sure.

                                Comment


                                • (I posted this earlier in the US analysis thread, but it belongs in this thread of course.)

                                  Here's the offical list of bestselling artists since Soundscan started in 1991 through last week.
                                  Note it doesn't take collaborations or name changes (eg P Diddy and Snoop Dogg) into account

                                  The list I received was a bit corrupt, so a few errors may have crept in.


                                  TOP 100 BESTSELLING ALBUM ARTISTS OF THE SOUNDSCAN ERA

                                  (rank, units in 1000s, artist)

                                  1. 66,119 Garth Brooks
                                  2. 51,202 The Beatles
                                  3. 47,607 Metallica
                                  4. 46,920 Celine Dion
                                  5. 46,317 Mariah Carey
                                  6. 35,504 George Strait
                                  7. 32,727 Shania Twain
                                  8. 31,729 Alan Jackson
                                  9. 31,717 Kenny G
                                  10. 31,516 Pink Floyd
                                  11. 30,849 Tim McGraw
                                  12. 30,187 Backstreet Boys
                                  13. 29,572 U2
                                  14. 29,167 Eminem
                                  15. 28,231 Britney Spears
                                  16. 27,890 Pearl Jam
                                  17. 27,639 N Sync
                                  18. 27,047 Aerosmith
                                  19. 26,929 Dave Matthews Band
                                  20. 26,823 Eric Clapton
                                  21. 26,371 Elvis Presley
                                  22. 25,243 Reba Mcentire
                                  23. 24,987 Creed
                                  24. 23,977 Elton John
                                  25. 23,741 The Eagles
                                  26. 23,420 Frank Sinatra
                                  27. 23,414 Dixie Chicks
                                  28. 23,312 Rod Stewart
                                  29. 23,072 Santana
                                  30. 23,045 Enya
                                  31. 22,963 Nirvana
                                  32. 22,805 Madonna
                                  33. 22,749 Boyz II Men
                                  34. 22,624 AC/DC
                                  35. 22,573 Jimmy Buffett
                                  36. 21,778 Jay-Z
                                  37. 21,561 Guns & Roses
                                  38. 21,427 Michael Bolton
                                  39. 21,022 Toby Keith
                                  40. 21,017 The Rolling Stones
                                  41. 19,892 Nelly
                                  42. 19,542 R Kelly
                                  43. 19,472 Alanis Morissette
                                  44. 19,462 Led Zeppelin
                                  45. 19,396 Green Day
                                  46. 19,390 Tupac
                                  47. 19,080 Brooks & Dunn
                                  48. 19,040 Barbra Steisand
                                  49. 18,881 Limp Bizkit
                                  50. 18,449 Leann Rimes
                                  51. 18,486 Usher
                                  52. 18,457 Mannheim Steamroller
                                  53. 18,388 Janet Jackson
                                  54. 18,212 Red Hot Chili Peppers
                                  55. 17,939 Beastie Boys
                                  56. 17,926 Michael Jackson
                                  57. 17,836 REM
                                  58. 17,508 Gill Vince
                                  59. 17,387 Kid Rock
                                  60. 17,024 Van Halen
                                  61. 16,852 Luther Vandross
                                  62. 16,843 Faith Hill
                                  63. 16,618 Alabama
                                  64. 16,508 Billy Joel
                                  65. 16,472 Yanni
                                  66. 16,432 Linkin Park
                                  67. 16,419 Queen
                                  68. 16,397 Sarah Mclachlan
                                  69. 16,310 Outkast
                                  70. 15,826 Bob Seger
                                  71. 15,708 DMX
                                  72. 15,659 Kenny Chesney
                                  73. 15,649 Sade
                                  74. 15,464 Mary J. Blige
                                  75. 15,413 Fleetwood Mac
                                  76. 15,284 TLC
                                  77. 15,271 Offspring
                                  78. 15,226 Smashing Pumpkins
                                  79. 15,224 Bruce Springsteen
                                  80. 15,143 No Doubt
                                  81. 15,026 Destiny's Child
                                  82. 14,983 Korn
                                  83. 14,914 Van Morrison
                                  84. 14,787 Bob Dylan
                                  85. 14,643 Sting
                                  86. 14,601 Ozzy Osbourne
                                  87. 14,597 Prince
                                  88. 14,436 Sheryl Crow
                                  89. 14,412 Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
                                  90. 14,386 Matchbox Twenty
                                  91. 14,378 Lynryd Skynyrd
                                  92. 14,293 Def Leppard
                                  93. 14,270 Jewel
                                  94. 14,190 James Taylor
                                  95. 14,080 Doors
                                  96. 14,014 Neil Diamond
                                  97. 13,974 Lenny Kravitz
                                  98. 13,908 Hootie & The Blowfish
                                  99. 13,778 Grateful Dead
                                  100.13,761 Bon Jovi

                                  A couple of interesting entries below 100:

                                  Jimi Hendrix scanned 13,383,000 copies (not bad for a man who is dead for 35 years!);
                                  The Beach Boys did 11.5 million; Marvin Gaye 11 million; Johnny Cash 10.8; Miles Davis 9.5; Whitney Houston 9.1 million; Creedence Clearwater Revival 8.5 mil; Simon & Garfunkel and also Radiohead 8 million.

                                  The best current sellers of the list are Brooks & Dunn (124K units this week), Mariah (94K) and Bob Dylan (92K).
                                  The worst ones: Spice Girls (340 copies), N Sync (520 ) and Mannheim Steamroller (680).

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Hanboo
                                    (I posted this earlier in the US analysis thread, but it belongs in this thread of course.)

                                    Here's the offical list of bestselling artists since Soundscan started in 1991 through last week.
                                    Note it doesn't take collaborations or name changes (eg P Diddy and Snoop Dogg) into account

                                    The list I received was a bit corrupt, so a few errors may have crept in.


                                    TOP 100 BESTSELLING ALBUM ARTISTS OF THE SOUNDSCAN ERA

                                    (rank, units in 1000s, artist)

                                    1. 66,119 Garth Brooks
                                    2. 51,202 The Beatles
                                    3. 47,607 Metallica
                                    4. 46,920 Celine Dion
                                    5. 46,317 Mariah Carey
                                    6. 35,504 George Strait
                                    7. 32,727 Shania Twain
                                    8. 31,729 Alan Jackson
                                    9. 31,717 Kenny G
                                    10. 31,516 Pink Floyd
                                    11. 30,849 Tim McGraw
                                    12. 30,187 Backstreet Boys
                                    13. 29,572 U2
                                    14. 29,167 Eminem
                                    15. 28,231 Britney Spears
                                    16. 27,890 Pearl Jam
                                    17. 27,639 N Sync
                                    18. 27,047 Aerosmith
                                    19. 26,929 Dave Matthews Band
                                    20. 26,823 Eric Clapton
                                    21. 26,371 Elvis Presley
                                    22. 25,243 Reba Mcentire
                                    23. 24,987 Creed
                                    24. 23,977 Elton John
                                    25. 23,741 The Eagles
                                    26. 23,420 Frank Sinatra
                                    27. 23,414 Dixie Chicks
                                    28. 23,312 Rod Stewart
                                    29. 23,072 Santana
                                    30. 23,045 Enya
                                    31. 22,963 Nirvana
                                    32. 22,805 Madonna
                                    33. 22,749 Boyz II Men
                                    34. 22,624 AC/DC
                                    35. 22,573 Jimmy Buffett
                                    36. 21,778 Jay-Z
                                    37. 21,561 Guns & Roses
                                    38. 21,427 Michael Bolton
                                    39. 21,022 Toby Keith
                                    40. 21,017 The Rolling Stones
                                    41. 19,892 Nelly
                                    42. 19,542 R Kelly
                                    43. 19,472 Alanis Morissette
                                    44. 19,462 Led Zeppelin
                                    45. 19,396 Green Day
                                    46. 19,390 Tupac
                                    47. 19,080 Brooks & Dunn
                                    48. 19,040 Barbra Steisand
                                    49. 18,881 Limp Bizkit
                                    50. 18,449 Leann Rimes
                                    51. 18,486 Usher
                                    52. 18,457 Mannheim Steamroller
                                    53. 18,388 Janet Jackson
                                    54. 18,212 Red Hot Chili Peppers
                                    55. 17,939 Beastie Boys
                                    56. 17,926 Michael Jackson
                                    57. 17,836 REM
                                    58. 17,508 Gill Vince
                                    59. 17,387 Kid Rock
                                    60. 17,024 Van Halen
                                    61. 16,852 Luther Vandross
                                    62. 16,843 Faith Hill
                                    63. 16,618 Alabama
                                    64. 16,508 Billy Joel
                                    65. 16,472 Yanni
                                    66. 16,432 Linkin Park
                                    67. 16,419 Queen
                                    68. 16,397 Sarah Mclachlan
                                    69. 16,310 Outkast
                                    70. 15,826 Bob Seger
                                    71. 15,708 DMX
                                    72. 15,659 Kenny Chesney
                                    73. 15,649 Sade
                                    74. 15,464 Mary J. Blige
                                    75. 15,413 Fleetwood Mac
                                    76. 15,284 TLC
                                    77. 15,271 Offspring
                                    78. 15,226 Smashing Pumpkins
                                    79. 15,224 Bruce Springsteen
                                    80. 15,143 No Doubt
                                    81. 15,026 Destiny's Child
                                    82. 14,983 Korn
                                    83. 14,914 Van Morrison
                                    84. 14,787 Bob Dylan
                                    85. 14,643 Sting
                                    86. 14,601 Ozzy Osbourne
                                    87. 14,597 Prince
                                    88. 14,436 Sheryl Crow
                                    89. 14,412 Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
                                    90. 14,386 Matchbox Twenty
                                    91. 14,378 Lynryd Skynyrd
                                    92. 14,293 Def Leppard
                                    93. 14,270 Jewel
                                    94. 14,190 James Taylor
                                    95. 14,080 Doors
                                    96. 14,014 Neil Diamond
                                    97. 13,974 Lenny Kravitz
                                    98. 13,908 Hootie & The Blowfish
                                    99. 13,778 Grateful Dead
                                    100.13,761 Bon Jovi

                                    A couple of interesting entries below 100:

                                    Jimi Hendrix scanned 13,383,000 copies (not bad for a man who is dead for 35 years!);
                                    The Beach Boys did 11.5 million; Marvin Gaye 11 million; Johnny Cash 10.8; Miles Davis 9.5; Whitney Houston 9.1 million; Creedence Clearwater Revival 8.5 mil; Simon & Garfunkel and also Radiohead 8 million.

                                    The best current sellers of the list are Brooks & Dunn (124K units this week), Mariah (94K) and Bob Dylan (92K).
                                    The worst ones: Spice Girls (340 copies), N Sync (520 ) and Mannheim Steamroller (680).

                                    hmm sorry i dont see whitney houston!!
                                    am I blind??!!!

                                    thanks for your helP!!
                                    True love is hard to find!!

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by exhale
                                      Originally posted by Hanboo
                                      100.13,761 Bon Jovi

                                      A couple of interesting entries below 100:

                                      Jimi Hendrix scanned 13,383,000 copies (not bad for a man who is dead for 35 years!);
                                      The Beach Boys did 11.5 million; Marvin Gaye 11 million; Johnny Cash 10.8; Miles Davis 9.5; Whitney Houston 9.1 million; Creedence Clearwater Revival 8.5 mil; Simon & Garfunkel and also Radiohead 8 million.

                                      The best current sellers of the list are Brooks & Dunn (124K units this week), Mariah (94K) and Bob Dylan (92K).
                                      The worst ones: Spice Girls (340 copies), N Sync (520 ) and Mannheim Steamroller (680).

                                      hmm sorry i dont see whitney houston!!
                                      am I blind??!!!

                                      thanks for your helP!!
                                      Whitney Houston was there outside Top 100, sweetie.

                                      Comment


                                      • SoundScan doesn't count The Bodygaurd and The Preacher's Wife in Whitney's total.

                                        Chris

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by thebigham
                                          SoundScan doesn't count The Bodygaurd and The Preacher's Wife in Whitney's total.

                                          Chris
                                          This just doesn't make sense. I know they're soundtrack albums, but they only sold so many copies is because of Whitney's songs on those albums. :-?

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by Basil
                                            Originally posted by Hanboo
                                            Originally posted by Basil
                                            does anyone have any more which have scanned at least 1,000,000?
                                            I have a couple:

                                            2,600,000 'N Sync Home For Christmas (1998) Jan.2004
                                            1,031,000 Barbra Streisand Christmas Memories (2001) Jan.2004
                                            1,356,000 Bing Crosby White Christmas (1954) Dec.2004
                                            1,751,000 Boyz II Men Christmas Interpretations (1993) Nov.2003
                                            1,000,000 Garth Brooks The Magic Of Christmas (1999) Oct.2000
                                            2,600,000 Garth Brooks Beyond The Season (1992) Jan.2004
                                            2,250,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Extraordinaire (2001) Jan.2004
                                            1,800,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas In The Aire (1995) Jan.2004
                                            1,020,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Live (1997) Jan.2005
                                            1,697,000 Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Eve And Other Stories (1996) Jan.2004
                                            2,904,000 Various Artists Now That's What I Call Christmas! (2001) Dec.2004
                                            1,608,000 Vince Guaraldi A Charlie Brown Christmas (2003) Jan.2004
                                            Many thanks for adding these Hanboo. I've got some other figures but can't seem to find them. If I do I'll put together something on these Christmas Albums - a curious American thing. Christmas Albums mean nothing in the UK and most other places.

                                            Thing with these is that they sell year after year.

                                            The Bing Crosby one is impressive. The official shipment is now 4 million.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Basil
                                              Originally posted by Hanboo
                                              Originally posted by Basil
                                              does anyone have any more which have scanned at least 1,000,000?
                                              I have a couple:

                                              2,600,000 'N Sync Home For Christmas (1998) Jan.2004
                                              1,031,000 Barbra Streisand Christmas Memories (2001) Jan.2004
                                              1,356,000 Bing Crosby White Christmas (1954) Dec.2004
                                              1,751,000 Boyz II Men Christmas Interpretations (1993) Nov.2003
                                              1,000,000 Garth Brooks The Magic Of Christmas (1999) Oct.2000
                                              2,600,000 Garth Brooks Beyond The Season (1992) Jan.2004
                                              2,250,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Extraordinaire (2001) Jan.2004
                                              1,800,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas In The Aire (1995) Jan.2004
                                              1,020,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Live (1997) Jan.2005
                                              1,697,000 Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Eve And Other Stories (1996) Jan.2004
                                              2,904,000 Various Artists Now That's What I Call Christmas! (2001) Dec.2004
                                              1,608,000 Vince Guaraldi A Charlie Brown Christmas (2003) Jan.2004
                                              Many thanks for adding these Hanboo. I've got some other figures but can't seem to find them. If I do I'll put together something on these Christmas Albums - a curious American thing. Christmas Albums mean nothing in the UK and most other places.

                                              Thing with these is that they sell year after year.

                                              The Bing Crosby one is impressive. The official shipment is now 4 million.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Basil
                                                Many thanks Hanboo.


                                                In contrast, at least the UK album chart has always been based on sales and doesn't exclude old titles. The downside of the chart since it started in the 1950's is that sometimes it included budget titles and sometimes not. For a long time it included an ever growing number of Various Artist albums before finally making a separate chart for them - a good idea. Then in the early 70's the chart was reduced to as little as 15 titles - hard luck for many bands of the time who never officially charted. Although only a reduced chart was published at this time, a longer one must surely have existed and must still do somewhere!
                                                Basil, I think the reason that the UK chart shrunk to a top 15 was due to a postal strike in the winter and spring of that year (1971) which lasted seven weeks. Any charts from that period should be viewed with a large pinch of salt.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by Basil
                                                  Originally posted by Hanboo
                                                  Originally posted by Basil
                                                  does anyone have any more which have scanned at least 1,000,000?
                                                  I have a couple:

                                                  2,600,000 'N Sync Home For Christmas (1998) Jan.2004
                                                  1,031,000 Barbra Streisand Christmas Memories (2001) Jan.2004
                                                  1,356,000 Bing Crosby White Christmas (1954) Dec.2004
                                                  1,751,000 Boyz II Men Christmas Interpretations (1993) Nov.2003
                                                  1,000,000 Garth Brooks The Magic Of Christmas (1999) Oct.2000
                                                  2,600,000 Garth Brooks Beyond The Season (1992) Jan.2004
                                                  2,250,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Extraordinaire (2001) Jan.2004
                                                  1,800,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas In The Aire (1995) Jan.2004
                                                  1,020,000 Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Live (1997) Jan.2005
                                                  1,697,000 Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Eve And Other Stories (1996) Jan.2004
                                                  2,904,000 Various Artists Now That's What I Call Christmas! (2001) Dec.2004
                                                  1,608,000 Vince Guaraldi A Charlie Brown Christmas (2003) Jan.2004
                                                  Many thanks for adding these Hanboo. I've got some other figures but can't seem to find them. If I do I'll put together something on these Christmas Albums - a curious American thing. Christmas Albums mean nothing in the UK and most other places.

                                                  Thing with these is that they sell year after year.

                                                  The Bing Crosby one is impressive. The official shipment is now 4 million.
                                                  Elvis in Sweden sold every christmas 10000 copies of Elvis christmas album. And a think in every contry IN the world.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Basil
                                                    Originally posted by askew
                                                    Second question: Are Marshall Mathers and Eminem Show still selling well enough to pass 10mm in the next year or so (if you have a breakdown of these albums sales)?
                                                    OK Askew, I finally have the figures you were asking for. Eminem sales patterns as follows

                                                    Slim Shady
                                                    charted mar 1999 - selling
                                                    2,800,000 by dec 1999
                                                    4,000,000 by dec 2000
                                                    4,300,000 by sep 2002
                                                    4,900,000 by mar 2005

                                                    This is only 4xP. Add on BMG club figures of 1.16m, and you get 6.06m, so it should be 6xP

                                                    Marshall Mathers
                                                    charted jun 2000
                                                    7,900,000 by dec 2000
                                                    8,900,000 by sep 2002
                                                    9,547,000 by mar 2004
                                                    9,740,000 by mar 2005

                                                    So it has slowed to 193,000 sales in the past year. Should get over 10m soundscan sometime in 2006. Again, it you add BMG figures of 1.54m, you get 11.28m, so it should be 11xP.

                                                    Eminem Show
                                                    charted jun 2002
                                                    5,400,000 by sep 2002
                                                    7,608,000 by dec 2002
                                                    8,985,000 by mar 2004
                                                    9,348,000 by mar 2005

                                                    So 363,000 sold in the past year. It should eventually get to 10m, but may take 2 years. With the new album doing so well, the catalogue may pick up a bit. No BMG figure for this one. It should still be 9xP, though.

                                                    Eminem is now on the main list - page one. Have also added 2 Pac, Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley.

                                                    More totals on the way.
                                                    Do you have a Elvis album to go over 10 milj I think hi have 10 albums to go over 10 mil.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X