Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pohatta
    Originally posted by Ali1610
    Can you please explain which chart of the ones you compiled together had which data source for their own chart? So were they airplay, sales, whatever based? And when do the YLE charts start at your site? Week 1/1994?
    In the suomensinglelistat site the weekly charts are sales only and the YLE charts start from week 1/94. After that there were no other sales charts in Finland.
    So different magazines and radios all had their own sales charts? Sounds crazy if they had the same main data of the Finnish singles market, but different results. Or did their data collection methods differ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ali1610
      So different magazines and radios all had their own sales charts? Sounds crazy if they had the same main data of the Finnish singles market, but different results. Or did their data collection methods differ?
      There were only minor differences in their methods. In the final years before the YLE era the compilers tried to get exclusive rights to some retail chains' sales data. The Ykkönen chart had the exclusive to Anttila chain and the Radio City chart had the Sokos chain. Shameful, really.

Then again, the chart culture in 70s and 80s Finland was so primitive that if there had been only one chart, that wouldn't necessarily have been too accurate either. Maybe it was better to have three questionable charts instead of one official but still questionable chart.

Comment

• The Swedish charts are in a woeful state. :( The download chart is no longer published, instead the Digilistan site has the top 40 of the Sverigetopplistan singles chart, making it completely redundant. Billboard.biz still has the download chart compiled by SoundScan but only the top 10 is published (and non-subscribers can only see the top four). And in spite of what they claim, most downloads are still missing from Sverigetopplistan. A song called Fädernesland by Bedårande Barn was at #2 on the digital chart two weeks ago, but missed the singles top 100.

Comment

• Originally posted by setg1
          The Swedish charts are in a woeful state. :( The download chart is no longer published, instead the Digilistan site has the top 40 of the Sverigetopplistan singles chart, making it completely redundant. Billboard.biz still has the download chart compiled by SoundScan but only the top 10 is published (and non-subscribers can only see the top four). And in spite of what they claim, most downloads are still missing from Sverigetopplistan. A song called Fädernesland by Bedårande Barn was at #2 on the digital chart two weeks ago, but missed the singles top 100.

But how intresting could a download chart in Sweden be when it takes like 20 copies to hit number one? Nobody is downloading songs here these days.
          With that said, when it comes to sales certifications. The swedish single chart is total mess. Like every single you se in the Charts are certified with gold or multiplatinum. Today, 3 million streams is thel imit for gold sales and that is way to low. its often requierd around 1 million streams to even hit the top 100!

The result is that a lot of singles, that dosent even chart top 100 all can reach Gold or even platinum sales after a while.
          Gold sales should be around 10 million streams, and 20 million for Platinum but i guess nobody cared about that.

Comment

• Warm hallo!

Is anyone can to help with exact publication dates of the vg-lista charts?
            (from 1958 till now)
            On http://norwegiancharts.com/ given numbers of weeks, not dates...

All the Best,
            Aleksey

Comment

• Where can we see the last certifications in the finnish charts???? from 2013 onwards???

thanks

Comment

• Does anyone can help with recent finnish certifications???

Comment

• Some fun-facts for the Norwegian music industry that might be of some interest. In Norwegian.....but google translate should do the trick.

http://no.musicnorway.no/2016/02/24/13- ... kbransjen/

Most noteworthy:
                  - In 2014 Norwegians spent 23.5 US dollars per head on recorded music. It is the most in the world. (Source: IFPI / Recording Industry in Numbers )

- Norwegian record industry is the 15th largest in the world measured by revenue , and the 8th largest in Europe in 2014. (Source: IFPI / Recording Industry in Numbers )

- The value of Norwegian music export in 2014 is 223 million . (Source: Ramboll )

Comment

• There is a new chart in Finland. IFPI and NRJ have started publishing a top 40 streaming chart. While the singles chart is also primarily based on streams, the new chart is a clear improvement. Previously, many popular songs have failed to chart because of the singles chart only being a top 20. In the last few weeks, #40 on Spotify has had almost 200,000 weekly streams.

According to NRJ, the chart includes streams from Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music and Google Play. The first chart was published today.

EDIT: The IFPI site actually has a top 50!

Comment

• Where can I find Finland, Norway and Sweden .... certifications and year end chart.

Comment

• How can I find the chart entry for Norway chart.

on this website : http://norwegiancharts.com/ you can find just the number of the chart but not the date.

Comment

• I'm doing it this way: take the week number, go here - http://www.epochconverter.com/weeknumbers - and see the date of the week. The charts in Norway published on Wednesday, so, knowing that, finding the exact date is easy. Hope this helps

Comment

• Finnish "Mitä Suomi Soittaa" charts started in 1951. Their top 10 hits are known only from year 1973 until the end of these charts in early 1989. What about the first years? Does anybody have those earlier charts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Passing_Strang
                              I'm doing it this way: take the week number, go here - http://www.epochconverter.com/weeknumbers - and see the date of the week. The charts in Norway published on Wednesday, so, knowing that, finding the exact date is easy. Hope this helps
                              Thank you very much.
                              I will try

It works the same for Danish charts?

Comment

• Originally posted by marcoferrari
                                Finnish "Mitä Suomi Soittaa" charts started in 1951. Their top 10 hits are known only from year 1973 until the end of these charts in early 1989. What about the first years? Does anybody have those earlier charts?
                                You can see all Finnish charts here: http://wiki.pomus.net/wiki/Luokka:Listat_1987

Though it starts in 1967.

Comment

• Originally posted by freeme
                                  Originally posted by Passing_Strang
                                  I'm doing it this way: take the week number, go here - http://www.epochconverter.com/weeknumbers - and see the date of the week. The charts in Norway published on Wednesday, so, knowing that, finding the exact date is easy. Hope this helps
                                  Thank you very much.
                                  I will try

It works the same for Danish charts?
                                  About these I don't know, unfortunately. I've only seen those posted here by TheDane on the Danish charts thread. The dates given by them were for Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcoferrari
                                    Finnish "Mitä Suomi Soittaa" charts started in 1951. Their top 10 hits are known only from year 1973 until the end of these charts in early 1989. What about the first years? Does anybody have those earlier charts?
                                    This earlier post has links to everything from 1961 onwards.

As for the earlier charts, they are available in a book called "Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja" by Jake Nyman. Unfortunately, only the top ten of each chart is available in the book, the charts were often longer than that. The charts from the 1950s were really messy by today's standards. A rudimentary points system was used to compile the charts. For the first chart ever, six record stores reported their top five records and each of these got one point. There were a lot of ties as a result, so they thankfully soon switched to a slightly better system. But other problems still remained: there were separate charts for Finnish and international records so it's impossible to know how they sold relative to each other (although Nyman has attempted to combine the charts retrospectively). Several versions (based on what I know, sometimes even five!) of a song were also listed together so they don't tell which version was the most popular. Originally, they only listed the song titles, later the record label information and only a few years later the actual performers of the songs! I have never seen more than a few full charts from this era, only the top 10 charts in Nyman's book. The Finnish Wikipedia has a list of the number ones. The 1950s charts are quite interesting, but very unreliable because of the aforementioned problems.

Comment

http://suomenlistalevyt.blogspot.fi/
                                      Index for all charted hits and albums from January 1961 to August 2015. This is totally in Finnish but you'll probably find your way around it. If you have the Sisältää hitin book (with explanations in English), the system is essentially the same.
                                      Pohatta (Timo Pennanen, it's you?)
                                      I have just one question: there in your web-site, you have 7 weeks on chart for Neil Young's Greatest Hits, but in the YLE IFPI chart seems that he rank only 6 weeks. Wich is wrong?
                                      Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Quite a coincidence. I come to visit after several months and there's a new question for me. Nice.

To answer your question borderwolf, neither is wrong but I'm more right. During the YLE chart years there were some occasions when they skipped one chart week during Christmas. To make up for the lost chart I've counted the previous chart twice.

Comment

• O.K.! Thanks!
                                          Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Regarding the pre-1961 Finnish charts, I have an announcement to make. The singles charts from 1960 have been quite poorly available. The book by Jake Nyman (which I mentioned before), includes three full top 10 charts from that year but that's about it. However, while browsing the Cash Box magazines on archive.org and American Radio History, I found out that the magazine has published the Finnish chart much more often that year. I found nine charts in total, and a lucky coincidence is that two of the charts skipped by Cash Box are available in Nyman's book! This means that only one chart is missing from that year (probably January), which might not have been compiled. I have made this file, which contains the nine charts from Cash Box, as well as the two from Nyman's book for the sake of completeness.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3399289 ... harts-1960

I have been quite over the moon thanks to this discovery, and I hope other people enjoy the charts too.

Comment

• Guess what: I have the missing piece from February. The first Cash Box chart was from January, although they printed it in early April.

Ilta-Sanomat printed four charts in 1960: February, March, April and December.

1 3 Mauno Kuusisto: Kertokaa se hänelle (RCA)
                                              2 4 Matti Heinivaho: Tunturin juurella (HMV)
                                              3 2 Caterina & Silvio: Rote Rosen werden blüh’n (Decca)
                                              4 1 Laila Kinnunen: Marina (Scandia)
                                              5 — Tuula Ikäheimo: Kaipuun kukka (Decca)
                                              6 — Rocco Granata: Marina (Sonet)
                                              7 — Mauno Kuusisto: Romanssi (RCA)
                                              8 — Humppa-veikot: Uraliin (Scandia)
                                              9 5 Billy Vaughn: Morgen (London)
                                              10 10 Rock-Ragge: Mona Lisa (Barben)

Comment

Guess what: I have the missing piece from February. The first Cash Box chart was from January, although they printed it in early April.
                                                Wow! Thanks for this! It's incredible: we went from having just a few charts from 1960 to having the full year available! A lot better than what I expected when I found what now turns out to have been the January chart.

Comment

• There's one error in the Cash Box charts. I wondered why two Paul Anka singles took turns in the charts and then found out they were two sides of the same single. In Finland Puppy Love was Adam and Eve's b-side.

Comment

There's one error in the Cash Box charts. I wondered why two Paul Anka singles took turns in the charts and then found out they were two sides of the same single. In Finland Puppy Love was Adam and Eve's b-side.
                                                    The same happened with a single by Annikki Tähti. Nyman's book lists "Yksinäinen kylä" at #5 in the June chart (although the book claims the chart is from May 1960) while the Cash Box chart released on September 3 has the actual A-side "Mustalainen" at #10.

Slightly more problematic: according to a few sources, the two Umberto Marcato songs in the January chart were actually the A and B-side of the same single in Finland. However, they were released as separate singles in Sweden so they may have sold well as imports...

Comment

• http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/3586247d17...igital?lang=no

You might find this interesting, it's shows top 5 year end charts (albums and singles) from 1958 to 1998

I understand Norwegian, Swedish and Danish so if you want anything translated just ask
                                                      Something useful I guess

Comment

• Please, explaine how I could see albums year-end charts!
                                                        Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Originally posted by borderwolf
                                                          Please, explaine how I could see albums year-end charts!
                                                          The album charts aren't shown until 1967 (Page 25)

Here are all the charts:

1967:

1. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
                                                          2. Soundtrack - The Sound of Music
                                                          3. Soundtrack - Dr. Zhivago
                                                          4. The Monkees - More of The Monkees
                                                          5. Sven-Ingvars - Sven-Ingvars Bästa

1968:

1. Various Artists - The Best of Country & Western
                                                          2. Sven-Ingvars - Sven-Ingvars Bästa
                                                          3. Lill Lindfors - Du Er Den Ende
                                                          4. Ole Ivars - Ole Ivars
                                                          5. Engelbert Humperdink - A Man Without Love

1969:

1. Various Artists - World Star Festival
                                                          2. The Beatles - Abbey Road
                                                          3. Buck Owens - The Best of Buck Owens
                                                          4. The Beatles - The Beatles
                                                          5. Tom Jones - Help Yourself

1970:

1. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo’s Factory
                                                          2. Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
                                                          3. The Beatles - Abbey Road
                                                          4. The Beatles - Let It Be
                                                          5. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy and the Poor Boys

1971:

1. Øystein Sunde - Det Året Det Var Så Bratt
                                                          2. Paul McCartney - Ram
                                                          3. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendelum
                                                          4. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
                                                          5. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

1972:

1. Neil Young - Harvest
                                                          2. Gilbert O’Sullivan - Himself
                                                          3. Gilbert O’Sullivan - Back to Front
                                                          4. Øystein Sunde - Det Året Det Var Så Bratt
                                                          5. Various Artists - Treff 4

1973:

1. The Beatles - 1962-1966
                                                          2. Various Artists - Norsk På Topp
                                                          3. Gilbert O’Sullivan - Back to Front
                                                          4. Lillebjørn Nilsen - Portrett
                                                          5. The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

1974:

1. Demis Roussos - Forever and Ever
                                                          2. Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run
                                                          3. Abba - Waterloo
                                                          4. Various Artists - På Treff Med ?6
                                                          5. Deep Purple - Burn

1975:

1. Abba - Abba
                                                          2. Wings - Venus and Mars
                                                          3. Vømlingen - Vømmøl Spelermanslag
                                                          4. Demis Roussos - Forever and Ever
                                                          5. Thorleifs - Gråt Inga Tårar

1976:

1. Roger Whittaker - Last Farwell
                                                          2. Tina Charles - I Love You
                                                          3. Abba - Arrival
                                                          4. Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing
                                                          5. Rod Stewart - A Night on Town

1977:

1. Smokie - Greatest Hits
                                                          2. Abba - Arrival
                                                          3. Eagles - Hotel California
                                                          4. Smokie - Bright Lights and Big Alleys
                                                          5. Baccara - Baccara

1978:

1. Soundtrack - Grease
                                                          2. Soundtrack - Saturday Night Fever
                                                          3. Bonnie Tyler - The Hits from Bonnie Tyler
                                                          4. Baccara - Baccara
                                                          5. Abba - The Album

1979:

1. ELO - Discovery
                                                          2. Bee Gees – Spirits Have Flown
                                                          3. Abba – Voulez-Vous
                                                          4. Odd Børresen – I Smurfeland
                                                          5. Bob Dylan – Slow Train Coming

1980:

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall
                                                          2. Soundtrack - Xandu
                                                          3. The Kids - Norske Jenter
                                                          4. Jahn Teigen - Mentalkrem
                                                          5. Richard - Rèveries

1981:

1. Chris de Burgh - Eastern Wind
                                                          2. Finn Kalvik - Natt Og Dag
                                                          3. Bruce Springsteen - The River
                                                          4. John Lennon & Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy
                                                          5. Barbra Steisand - Guilty

1982:

1. Roxy Music - Avalon
                                                          2. Paul McCartney - Tug of War
                                                          3. Dionne Warwick - Heartbreaker
                                                          4. Jon Eberson Group - Jive Talking
                                                          5. Simon & Garfunkel - The Concert in Central Park

1983:

1. F.R. David - Words
                                                          2. Soundtrack - Flashdance
                                                          3. Paul McCartney - Pipes of Peace
                                                          4. Bonnie Tyler - Faster Than the Speed of Night
                                                          5. Agnetha Fältskog - Wrap Your Arms Around Me

1984:

1. Åge Aleksandersen - Levva Livet
                                                          2. Kim Larsen - Midt Om Natten
                                                          3. Stevie Wonders - The Woman in Red
                                                          4. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
                                                          5. Jahn Teigen & Anita Skorgan - Cheek To Cheek

1985:

1. Dire Straits - Bothers in Arms
                                                          2. USA for Africa - We Are the World
                                                          3. John Fogerty - Centerfield
                                                          4. a-ha - Hunting High and Low
                                                          5. Monroes - Face Another Day

1986:

1. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston
                                                          2. Sissel Kyrkjebø - Sissel
                                                          3. Eurythmics - Revenge
                                                          4. Peter Gabriel - So
                                                          5. Jennifer Rush - Jennifer Rush

1987:

1. Whitney Houston - Whitney
                                                          2. Tomboy - Back To the Beat
                                                          3. Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
                                                          4. Sissel Kyrkjebø - Glade Jul
                                                          5. Michael Jackson - Bad

1988:

1. Leonard Cohen - I’m Your Man
                                                          2. Tanita Tikaram - Ancient Heart
                                                          3. Jahn Teigen – Klovn Uten Scene
                                                          4. Kim Larsen – Yummi, Yummi
                                                          5. T’Pau – Bridge Of Spies

1989:

1. Smokie - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
                                                          2. Roxette - Look Sharp
                                                          3. Tanita Tikaram - Ancient eart
                                                          4. Åge Aleksandersen - Solregn
                                                          5. Madonna - Like a Prayer

1990:

1. Björn Afzelius - Tusen Bitar
                                                          2. Phil Collins - ...But Seriously
                                                          3. Sinnead O’Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven’t
                                                          4. Dum Dum Boys - Psteroe
                                                          5. a-ha - East of the Sun, West of the Moon

1991:

1. Elton John – The Very Best of Elton John
                                                          2. Roxette - Joyride
                                                          3. Cher – Love Hurts
                                                          4. Dance With a Stranger - Atmosphere
                                                          5. Michael Jackson - Dangerous

1992:

1. Maggie Reilly - Echoes
                                                          2. Various Artists - More Power Ballads
                                                          3. Bonnie Tyler - Bitterblue
                                                          4. Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch
                                                          5. Various Artists - Absolute Music 5

1993:

1. Various Artists - Absolute Music 7
                                                          2. 4 Non Blondes - Bigger Better Faster More
                                                          3. Soundtrack - The Bodyguard
                                                          4. September When - One Eye Open
                                                          5. Various Artists - Definitive Summerhits

1994:

1. Pink Floyd - Division Bell
                                                          2. Trine Rein - Finders Keepers
                                                          3. Billy Joel - Greatest Hits
                                                          4. Various Artists - Absolute Music 10
                                                          5. The September When - Hugger Mugger

1995:

1. Morten Harket - Wild Seed
                                                          2. Celine Dion - The Colour of My Love
                                                          3. Kyrkjebø, Aznavour, Domingo - Christmas in Vienna
                                                          4. Arve Tellefsen - Arco
                                                          5. Free the Spirit - Pan Pipe Moods

1996:

1. D.D.E. - Det Går Likar No
                                                          2. Celine Dion - Falling Into You
                                                          3. Smurfene - Smurfehits
                                                          4. Odd Børretzen - Noen Ganger Er Det All Right
                                                          5. R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-fi

1997:

1. Aqua - Aquarium
                                                          2. Celine Dion - Let’s Talk About Love
                                                          3. Børretzen & Myhre - Vintersang
                                                          4. Andrea Bocelli - Romanza
                                                          5. Bjørn Eidsvåg - På Svai
                                                          Something useful I guess

Comment

• Wow! Thanks!
                                                            Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Originally posted by borderwolf
                                                              Wow! Thanks!
                                                              No problem

And also there are some sales numbers revealed in this document

Albums:

The Kids - Norske Jenter 100,000
                                                              Åge Aleksandersen - Levva Livet 260,000
                                                              Björn Afzelius - Tusen Bitar 300,000
                                                              D.D.E. - Det Går Likar No 250,000
                                                              Aqua - Aquarium 200,000

Singles:

Franklin - Bombadilla Life 350,000

Whether the it's the total sales as of 1998 or the yearly sales is not mentioned.
                                                              Something useful I guess

Comment

Working...
                                                              X