No announcement yet.

Belgian Chart Archives - Questions & Answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your explanations and summary!

Originally posted by cavefan
    The national chart used between 1995 and 1999 by Billboard and Music & Media must indeed be some kind of unofficial ranking made up by themselves (perhaps indeed manually) or maybe based on aggregated industry figures provided by Ultratop to them? Who knows... in any case I've never heard about any national chart in Belgium from 1995 on anymore, and certainly this Billboard national chart was never broadcast or published anywhere in Belgium.
    It may be considered factual that the composite chart was done manually by Ultratop since various staff have confirmed this to me. Also, this fact was disclosed: the Ultratop charts were a two week rolling chart which used a median to determine the chart position and both charts ran well deeper than #100 (Officially only Top 50's).
    trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
    trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

I've mentioned it already in another thread : there definitely existed a national sales chart for Belgium between 1984 and 1994 (Sibesa/SABAM & later IFPI/SABAM). It was a Top 50 from 1984-1989, then extended to a Top 75 in 1990 and eventually even a Top 100 at some point around 1994.
      This chart was broadcast on Flemish and Walloon radio stations, displayed on posters in record stores and also published at least partially in some weeklies if I remember well. This chart was recognized as official and based on shipments rather than over the counter sales.

In 1995, this chart got replaced by the Ultratop with the major difference that it was now split in a Flemish and a French list. The national chart used between 1995 and 1999 by Billboard and Music & Media must indeed be some kind of unofficial ranking made up by themselves (perhaps indeed manually) or maybe based on aggregated industry figures provided by Ultratop to them? Who knows... in any case I've never heard about any national chart in Belgium from 1995 on anymore, and certainly this Billboard national chart was never broadcast or published anywhere in Belgium.

Now for old Walloon charts : before 1995, there were regional Walloon charts broadcast on RTBF Radio "Frequence Wallonie" and based on a survey at record shops across Wallonia. This chart called "Tip Top" still exists to this very day (despite the parallel Ultratop Wallonie now deemed official). I don't know when this chart was launched first but I do know it exists at least since the early 80's.
      Thanks for this info. But from what I have seen from 1995 onwards Music & Media also published the Belgian charts separate for Flanders and Wallonia. If you see the page from Music & Media in 1995 in the following link you will see at the bottom right that there is an add which says " IFPI Belgium has stopped issuing the official Belgian HitParades. The new and improved Belgian IFPI charts are scheduled for re -launch March 1." https://www.americanradiohistory.com...20unplugged%22 From that point onwards Music & Media also separated the charts.

Comment

@mjgm84 : when you look at the 1995-1999 charts published for Belgium on the "National Top 10 sales" pages in M&M, the positions don't match with either the Flemish or the French Ultratop. They were using a combined chart (you can sometimes see both Dutch and French language hits in the same chart) but the origin of it isn't clear. But as trebor mentioned above, it may well have been provided to them directly by Ultratop without having been published anywhere else.

Comment

@mjgm84 : when you look at the 1995-1999 charts published for Belgium on the "National Top 10 sales" pages in M&M, the positions don't match with either the Flemish or the French Ultratop. They were using a combined chart (you can sometimes see both Dutch and French language hits in the same chart) but the origin of it isn't clear. But as trebor mentioned above, it may well have been provided to them directly by Ultratop without having been published anywhere else.
          Oh ok, its just I was sure I'd seen a M&M issue from this period where they had a top ten listed under "Flanders", but anyway.

Just checked an issue from 1996 and yest there is a combined Belgium chart, it gives the provider as "Stichting Promuvi".

Comment

Do you have any Official source for certification from 1990?

Comment

Both Mid-price and Dvd chart are now (since 5 january 2019) deleted from ultratop.... :( :( :(
              Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

I have a question for the Belgian chart experts: K3's 'Roller Disco' reached 2x platinum in week 1. On the Flemish YEC of 2018, which considers 'Roller Disco's first 4 charting weeks (including its 3 weeks at No. 1), the album is at No. 14. The only albums with a similar or higher cert on that list are Niels Destadsbader's 'Dertig' (No. 1, reached 2x platinum one week before 'Roller Disco') and Ed Sheeran's Divide (No. 2, was already 2017's best-selling album and has been charting in Wallonia, too). As 'Roller Disco's chart run consists of 6 weeks in the top 10 and 13 additional weeks between No. 16 and No. 41 ever since, do you think that the album's cert results from overshipping with plenty of albums still in the shops? Otherwise, I don't believe that it has sold more than 20k copies (=platinum) by now.
                Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                and everything you stand for?
                Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Can someone confirm that the Ultratip or Tipparade were ‘bubbling under’ charts and, therefore, the songs were not considered hits until they actually entered the acknowledged hit chart, be it BRT30, Ultratop50 or whatever?

Comment

It's like that in the Netherlands, so it must be so in Belgium too...

Comment

Originally posted by rewardman View Post
                      Can someone confirm that the Ultratip or Tipparade were ‘bubbling under’ charts and, therefore, the songs were not considered hits until they actually entered the acknowledged hit chart, be it BRT30, Ultratop50 or whatever?
                      Yes, this is indeed correct. Although for brief periods during their long existence both the Tipparade in the Netherlands and the Ultratip in Belgium inexplicably allowed a small amount of downward movement in their ranks, for the vast majority of the time these lists covering tracks that looked to be on their way to becoming hits - the higher positions reflecting those that were coming closest to the official chart, but still not quite finding space there. As soon as that no longer appeared to be the case - sales or other consumption starting to significantly decline - they were removed. The weekly Ultratip page of the Ultratop website makes this clear:

De Ultratip Bubbling Under geeft de best verkochte, meest gedownloade, meest gestreamde en meest gespeelde nummers weer die nog niet in de Ultratop 50 staan. Het zijn potentiŽle hits-in-wording.

or, in English:

The Ultratip Bubbling Under lists the best-selling, most downloaded, most streamed and most played songs that are not yet in the Ultratop 50. They are potential hits-in-waiting.

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

Hi CZB, hopefully you can help me. I've just noticed a new feature on Walloon Ultratop site - a Top 50 chart for, seemingly, French-speaking part of the country that goes back right into the 1950s! It's a nice chart too, with some very tasty hits that don't register on Flemish Ultratop chart archive. Can you please tell me the source of this chart, where did it come from? Provided, of course, you know its origin That'll be most useful!

Comment

Oh well, decided to take direct action and wrote to Ultratop themselves asking for clarification. Here's the reply: "We made the Walloon charts ourselves combining all good sources we could find in libraries, from radio stations at the time and from people who collected old charts. Now we’re working on the period 1978-1994, but it takes a lot of time". So another great project is on its way!

Comment

Originally posted by Passing_Strang View Post
                            Oh well, decided to take direct action and wrote to Ultratop themselves asking for clarification. Here's the reply: "We made the Walloon charts ourselves combining all good sources we could find in libraries, from radio stations at the time and from people who collected old charts. Now we’re working on the period 1978-1994, but it takes a lot of time". So another great project is on its way!
                            I am sure looking forward to the 1978-1994 section, this is great news thanks.

Comment

• Passing_Strang
                              Passing_Strang commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm always glad to share with fellow chart lovers
                          Working...
                          X