• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best selling rap albums in the US by release date, 1988-

Originally posted by Dane
    Originally posted by Spiderpig
    Rap-Metal is a bastard son
    But I agree with you, it's probably more Metal than Rap. Even if that kinda pains me to say, because as a huge Classic Rock/Metal fan I have very few good things to say about the genre
    I do like some RATM though. Killing In The Name Of is a great track! Limb Bizkit? Slipknot? No thanks
    yeah RATM is probably the only rap-rock band who deserves a bit of respect, as for nu-metal (=Slipknot) I like the Deftones personally (especially their White Pony album), also some Korn songs...
    I like some Faith No More too, don't know if they're considered Rap-metal though. Not sure I like any Nu-Metal :-? I think I like one Korn song, I believe it's the one called Freak On A Leash. Also a couple of Linkin Park songs if that counts. In The End is great.

The best Limb Bizkit song is a cover, and I much prefer the Who's original (Behind Blue Eyes).
    I wudn't go to the extend of calling faith No More - rap metal. Alternative metal wud be more apt; although there is no denying their influence on the likes of Korn and Linkin Park.

Althou' Im no fan of rap metal, i like quite a few of the metalcore bands like Lamb of God, Trivium,Killswitch Engage,Shadows Fall - which have undoubtedly been influenced by the likes of RATM.

Comment

Obviously I think a Hard Rock/Heavy Metal version of your thread would be interesting. Including anything from Journey and Bon Jovi to Metallica and Slayer.
      Maybe if you're not interested I should make one myself, if I find the time...
      I think the difficulty would be to define clearly "hard rock/heavy metal", I mean, if Journey is a hard rock band, I guess the Red Hot Chili Peppers are also one while rap music is quite easy to define, that's what I meant in my previous post, but yeah it could be interesting to make the equivalent of this thread for the metalheads, I can help if you want ;)
      I think this is a great idea.

Comment

i likeD rap metal

but only the early "rap-metal" mix

RATM, 80's Red Hot Chili Peppers,Urban Dance Squad, Faith No More, early Beastie Boys, Dog Eat Dog, BodyCount, Downset, 311, Senser, Shootyz Groove ecc..
        they were original and innovators.

for the nu metal-era (but imho nu metal is different from rap-metal crossover) i like early korn, deftones for sura (white pony is a great album), one minute silence, S.O.A.D (nu metal? ), Snot, some of slipknot, Mudvayne...

obviously hate pop oriented bands like Linkin park, lostprophets, taproot, papa roach (infest was good), etc..
        http://www.worldwidealbums.net/
        Worldwide sales, Daily music news, music History

Comment

Originally posted by will231982
          Obviously I think a Hard Rock/Heavy Metal version of your thread would be interesting. Including anything from Journey and Bon Jovi to Metallica and Slayer.
          Maybe if you're not interested I should make one myself, if I find the time...
          I think the difficulty would be to define clearly "hard rock/heavy metal", I mean, if Journey is a hard rock band, I guess the Red Hot Chili Peppers are also one while rap music is quite easy to define, that's what I meant in my previous post, but yeah it could be interesting to make the equivalent of this thread for the metalheads, I can help if you want ;)
          I think this is a great idea.
          OK then, I'll start the thread as a work in progress...
          Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

Let there be rock!

Comment

It seems like all of the big rap albums have been released so the 2008 chart should look like this in the end, only 9 gold albums but hey, it's still better than the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal chart

LIL WAYNE - Tha Carter III : 2x platinum (3x platinum soon)
            T.I. - Paper Trail : platinum (2x platinum maybe)
            KANYE WEST - 808s & Heartbreak : platinum
            LUDACRIS - Theater Of The Mind : gold
            RICK ROSS - Trilla : gold
            YOUNG JEEZY - The Recession : gold
            THE GAME - LAX : gold
            PLIES - Definition Of Real : gold
            NAS - Nas : gold
            SNOOP DOGG - Ego Trippin' : 400k

I love how Flo Rida isn't even in the top 10, despite having one of the biggest rap hits of all time

Comment

Thanks for posting.
              Originally posted by Thriller
              Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads

Comment

Please can someone post Soundscan numbers for Kanye West and 50 Cent's albums if possible?

Comment

Rememder MIMS?? He had a huge number 1, but just look at his sales. I really laugh out loud. The genre Rap is all about singles now.

Comment

the sales have been decreasing a lot, i would say the best era for RAP albums was in 1999-2005, in 2008 the only one multiplatinum rap album, but this album is on the other hand the best-selling effort of 2008

Comment

Originally posted by skapunk
                      The genre Rap is all about singles now.

best selling albums released in 2008 :

LIL WAYNE - Tha Carter III : 2,7 million
                      COLDPLAY - Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends : 2 million
                      AC/DC - Black Ice : 1,6 million
                      JACK JOHNSON - Sleep Through The Static : 1,4 million
                      METALLICA - Death Magnetic : 1,4 million
                      T.I. - Paper Trail : 1,3 million
                      LEONA LEWIS - Spirit : 1,3 million
                      TAYLOR SWIFT - Fearless : 1,3 million
                      MARIAH CAREY - E=MC2 : 1,2 million
                      Various Artists - MAMMA MIA (soundtrack) : 1,2 million

rap : 4 million (Lil Wayne, TI)
                      pop-rock : 3,4 million (Coldplay, Johnson)
                      hard rock/metal : 3 million (AC/DC, Metallica)
                      pop/r&b : 2,5 million (Leona, Mariah)
                      whatever : 1,2 million (Mamma Mia)

Comment

Originally posted by RyanP
                        Please can someone post Soundscan numbers for Kanye West and 50 Cent's albums if possible?
                        I don't have the exact numbers but it's something like this :

50 :

Get Rich - 7,8m
                        The Massacre - 5,1m
                        Curtis : 1,3m

Kanye :

College Dropout - 3,2m
                        Late Registration : 2,9m
                        Graduation : 2,2m

Comment

The genre Rap is all about singles now.

best selling albums released in 2008 :

LIL WAYNE - Tha Carter III : 2,7 million
                          COLDPLAY - Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends : 2 million
                          AC/DC - Black Ice : 1,6 million
                          JACK JOHNSON - Sleep Through The Static : 1,4 million
                          METALLICA - Death Magnetic : 1,4 million
                          T.I. - Paper Trail : 1,3 million
                          LEONA LEWIS - Spirit : 1,3 million
                          TAYLOR SWIFT - Fearless : 1,3 million
                          MARIAH CAREY - E=MC2 : 1,2 million
                          Various Artists - MAMMA MIA (soundtrack) : 1,2 million

rap : 4 million (Lil Wayne, TI)
                          pop-rock : 3,4 million (Coldplay, Johnson)
                          hard rock/metal : 3 million (AC/DC, Metallica)
                          pop/r&b : 2,5 million (Leona, Mariah)
                          whatever : 1,2 million (Mamma Mia)
                          Two top selling people of a particular genre doesnt represent the whole genre. Your choice of artists is weird too! Just ONE little example, you have excluded Rihanna and Madonna (they both have sold more than Mariah, whom you have chosen) and many other selling artists just to prove your point. You have manipulated with the choice of artists just to prove your point. I would suggest, we must take all the artists..yes, i mean ALL, of the particular genre, add their sales and find the average. Then we'll get the actual result.

This whole thing is inappropriate.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Spiderpig!

Comment

Yes, thank you. You rule.

Comment

Your choice of artists is weird too! Just ONE little example, you have excluded Rihanna and Madonna (they both have sold more than Mariah, whom you have chosen) and many other selling artists just to prove your point. You have manipulated with the choice of artists just to prove your point.
                                Huh? How on earth Madonna outsold Mariah in the US?

He hasn't "manipulated" choices, he just added sales of all albums in the top 10/12 of the year.
                                25 June 2009, the day the Music died

Comment

Young Jeezy's "The Recession" was finally certified Gold by the RIAA.
                                  "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is easily the best mainstream hip-hop album since 2001's The Blueprint by Jay-Z."

Comment

LIL WAYNE - Tha Carter III: 3x platinum
                                    T.I. - Paper Trail: platinum (2x platinum soon)
                                    KANYE WEST - 808s & Heartbreaks: platinum
                                    YOUNG JEEZY - The Recession : gold (platinum maybe)
                                    RICK ROSS - Trilla : gold
                                    LUDACRIS - Theater Of The Mind : gold
                                    THE GAME - LAX : gold
                                    PLIES - Definition Of Real : gold
                                    NAS - Nas : gold
                                    SNOOP DOGG - Ego Trippin' : 400k
                                    R.I.P. NATE DOGG (August 19, 1969 – March 15, 2011)
                                    We will never forget you

Comment

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III 3,012,110
                                      T.I. - Paper Trail 1,694,521
                                      Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak 1,327,998
                                      Young Jeezy - The Recession 775,473
                                      Rick Ross - Trilla 750,000**
                                      The Game - LAX 675,969
                                      Plies - Definition Of Real 570,000**
                                      Ludacris - Theater Of The Mind 554,739
                                      T-Pain Th33 Ringz 488,261
                                      Nas - Untitled 480,000**

** These are estimations...the albums aren't in charts anymore.

So Flo Rida, Nelly, G-Unit & Snoop Dogg are out from the top 10! They all sold less than 400k!
                                      "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is easily the best mainstream hip-hop album since 2001's The Blueprint by Jay-Z."

Comment

thanks guys, the top 4 is almost certain now (Weezy-TI-Kanye-Jeezy) but for the rest I'm really not sure...
                                        Ludacris is still selling and could end up #5 (a little more than 700k could be enough, I don't think Rick Ross sold more than 720k actually), Plies' third album is also doing ok and could sell 400k (enough to be top 10, sadly), and btw I wouldn't consider T-Pain as a rapper, I mean right now he's certainly more a rapper than Kanye but still

Comment

Well done, the best topic, the best user. The best.

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
                                            I love you too
                                            so who's your favorite rapper HUR ?

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
                                              I love you too
                                              MC Mercury
                                              25 June 2009, the day the Music died

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
                                                I love you too
                                                I'm trying to gain a vote by being nice with other people:

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47367

Nah just joking.

My favourite rapper is Vanilla Ice because he gave Queen and David Bowie yet another number one everywhere.

Seriously, I don't know much the genre in itself. Jazz, rap, R&b, reggae, always the same, I never paid much attention to them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
                                                    Seriously, I don't know much the genre in itself. Jazz, rap, R&b, reggae, always the same, I never paid much attention to them.
                                                    so you don't like "black music" ? how sad...

Comment

lol at both. I don't know about rap, but surely, you don't know much about groups like Kayak, Valensia, Frank Zappa, do you?. There are always gains and losses when comparing.

Spider, it isn't like I don't like "black music", it is just I never heard any of the main acts of each genre. I canīt dislike it, simply because I just don't know them. Maybe if you want, you can recommend something.

In general, I don't like the genres, I like that artists.

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
                                                        lol at both. I don't know about rap, but surely, you don't know much about groups like Kayak, Valensia, Frank Zappa, do you?. There are always gains and losses when comparing.

Spider, it isn't like I don't like "black music", it is just I never heard any of the main acts of each genre. I canīt dislike it, simply because I just don't know them. Maybe if you want, you can recommend something.

How about Fugees / "the score", Lauryn Hill / "the misseducation of lauryn hill", Outkast / "speakerboxxx-the love below" to start?

Comment

Originally posted by HUR

I know a lot about Frank Zappa darling
                                                          anyway I can understand you don't like rap, jazz or reggae (given that you like Queen, the Backstreet Boys and co.) but r&b ? Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder...etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by argentino78
                                                            Originally posted by HUR

How about Fugees / "the score", Lauryn Hill / "the misseducation of lauryn hill", Outkast / "speakerboxxx-the love below" to start?
                                                            great start!

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
                                                            Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force - Planet Rock
                                                            Run-D.M.C. - Run-D.M.C.
                                                            Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
                                                            Run-D.M.C. - Raising Hell
                                                            Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
                                                            Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
                                                            EPMD - Strictly Business
                                                            Eric B. & Rakim - Follow the Leader
                                                            NWA - Straight Outta Compton
                                                            Boogie Down Productions - By All Means Necessary
                                                            Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
                                                            Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown
                                                            De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
                                                            A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels
                                                            Gang Starr - Step in the Arena
                                                            Ice-T - Original Gangster
                                                            De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
                                                            Naughty by Nature - Naughty by Nature
                                                            Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
                                                            Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91 The Enemy Strikes...
                                                            A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
                                                            Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
                                                            Ice Cube - Death Certificate
                                                            Redman - Whut? Thee Album
                                                            Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
                                                            Dr. Dre - The Chronic
                                                            Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
                                                            Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
                                                            Gang Starr - Daily Operation
                                                            Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother
                                                            Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
                                                            KRS-One - Return of the Boom Bap
                                                            Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
                                                            Scarface - The Diary
                                                            Nas - Illmatic
                                                            Common - Resurrection
                                                            The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
                                                            2Pac - Me Against The World
                                                            GZA / Genius - Liquid Swords
                                                            Mobb Deep - The Infamous...
                                                            Outkast - ATLiens
                                                            Fugees - The Score
                                                            2Pac - All Eyez On Me
                                                            The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
                                                            Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
                                                            Outkast - Aquemini
                                                            The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
                                                            Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
                                                            Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
                                                            The Roots - Things Fall Apart
                                                            Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
                                                            OutKast - Stankonia
                                                            Common - Like Water for Chocolate
                                                            Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
                                                            Jay-Z - The Blueprint
                                                            Nas - The Lost Tapes
                                                            The Roots -Phrenology
                                                            Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner
                                                            Eminem - The Eminem Show
                                                            The Streets - Original Pirate Material
                                                            OutKast - Speakerboxxx / The Love Below
                                                            Kanye West - The College Dropout
                                                            Saul Williams - Saul Williams
                                                            Jay-Z - The Black Album
                                                            Madvillain - Madvillainy
                                                            Kanye West - Late Registration
                                                            cLOUDDEAD - Ten
                                                            Dalek - Absence
                                                            Why? - Elephant Eyelash
                                                            Common - Be
                                                            CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
                                                            Jay Dee (J Dilla) - Donuts
                                                            Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor
                                                            The Roots - Game Theory
                                                            El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
                                                            Madvillain - Madvillainy 2: The Madlib Remix
                                                            Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
                                                            Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint..
                                                            Dalek - Gutter Tactics
                                                            http://www.worldwidealbums.net/
                                                            Worldwide sales, Daily music news, music History

Comment

Originally posted by HUR

I know a lot about Frank Zappa darling
                                                              anyway I can understand you don't like rap, jazz or reggae (given that you like Queen, the Backstreet Boys and co.) but r&b ? Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder...etc ?
                                                              What does the fact that I like Queen and Backstreet boys have to do with the other genres?. I have already explained it. See your example: you like Britney Spears, Radiohead, yet you are also a fan of many Jazz or r&b acts. And I repeat, I didn't say I don't like those genres. I just don't know them. In any case, I repeat, I don't like any specific genre, I like the artists. Is it clear?.

Thank you for the recommendations, you, Gustavo and Zago.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X