X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hip hop sales get better and better

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
      lol at both. I don't know about rap, but surely, you don't know much about groups like Kayak, Valensia, Frank Zappa, do you?. There are always gains and losses when comparing.

Spider, it isn't like I don't like "black music", it is just I never heard any of the main acts of each genre. I can´t dislike it, simply because I just don't know them. Maybe if you want, you can recommend something.

In general, I don't like the genres, I like that artists.
      you don't like Stevie Wonder or old-school Michael Jackson? They seem to fit the "good voice + good music" criteria. Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Prince too. Check some of it out. I am not a hip hop fan either but all those classic r&b artists are great.
      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Nice lists Zago. But you'd better put Jay-Z' "American Gangster" and Nas' "Hip Hop Is Dead" and "Untitled" in the last one.

Well my favourite rappers are Jay-Z, Biggie and Nas.

Other I like are Rakim, KRS-One and all Wu-Tang Clan members just to name a few.
        "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is easily the best mainstream hip-hop album since 2001's The Blueprint by Jay-Z."

Comment

Originally posted by Willypedia
          Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III 3,012,110
          T.I. - Paper Trail 1,694,521
          Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak 1,327,998
          Young Jeezy - The Recession 775,473
          Rick Ross - Trilla 750,000**
          The Game - LAX 675,969
          Plies - Definition Of Real 570,000**
          Ludacris - Theater Of The Mind 554,739
          T-Pain Th33 Ringz 488,261
          Nas - Untitled 480,000**

** These are estimations...the albums aren't in charts anymore.

So Flo Rida, Nelly, G-Unit & Snoop Dogg are out from the top 10! They all sold less than 400k!
          numbers from latest rap chart
          36 ATLG 24 19 19 PLIES DEFINITION OF REAL 2,489 2,277 9 565,739
          31 DEF 32 29 26 NAS NAS 1,935 1,568 23 439,213
          50 DEF 33 32 32 ROSS*RICK TRILLA 1,661 1,464 13 718,550
          49 GEFN 53 50 53 SNOOP DOGG EGO TRIPPIN' 1,023 953 7 384,341
          [/b]
          R.I.P. NATE DOGG (August 19, 1969 – March 15, 2011)
          We will never forget you

Comment

i think they will end up like that
            Lil Wayne - 3,5m
            T.I. - 2m
            Kanye West - 2m
            Young Jeezy - 900k
            Ludacris - 750k
            Rick Ross - 730k
            The Game - 700k
            Plies - 580k
            Nas - 450k
            Plies Realist - 420k
            We will never forget you

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails
              Originally posted by HUR
              lol at both. I don't know about rap, but surely, you don't know much about groups like Kayak, Valensia, Frank Zappa, do you?. There are always gains and losses when comparing.

Spider, it isn't like I don't like "black music", it is just I never heard any of the main acts of each genre. I can´t dislike it, simply because I just don't know them. Maybe if you want, you can recommend something.

In general, I don't like the genres, I like that artists.
              you don't like Stevie Wonder or old-school Michael Jackson? They seem to fit the "good voice + good music" criteria. Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Prince too. Check some of it out. I am not a hip hop fan either but all those classic r&b artists are great.
              Yes, I love Micheal Jackson. But I'm mostly familiar with his stuff from "Off the wall" onwards. I don't know much about him prior to that. Steve Wonder is a musical geniues to me, great songwriter with great interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lehmann
                i think they will end up like that
                Lil Wayne - 3,5m
                T.I. - 2m
                Kanye West - 2m
                Young Jeezy - 900k
                Ludacris - 750k
                Rick Ross - 730k
                The Game - 700k
                Plies - 580k
                Nas - 450k
                Plies Realist - 420k
                I think T.I. could sell 2,2/2,3m, if not more, also if it ends up like this it'll be the first Snoop album to not be in the top 10 maybe the beginning of the end for him...

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
                  Yes, I love Micheal Jackson.
                  so you like r&b

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig
                    Originally posted by HUR
                    Yes, I love Micheal Jackson.
                    so you like r&b
                    For the millionth time, I don't like the genres or musical styles, I like the artists. Understand?.

Anyway, isn't Micheal Jackson a lot more pop oriented?.

Spider, still waiting a reply to this:

" What does the fact that I like Queen and Backstreet boys have to do with the other genres?."

Comment

rappers in the top 100 this week :

13 T.I. PAPER TRAIL 23,302 23,578 -1 1,796,022
                      16 WEST*KANYE 808S & HEARTBREAK 20,376 22,500 -9 1,428,867
                      41 LIL WAYNE THA CARTER III 12,174 13,859 -12 3,070,643
                      66 SOULJA BOY TELL'EM ISOULJABOYTELLEM 7,715 8,360 -8 167,479
                      74 PLIES DA REALIST 7,223 9,267 -22 307,024
                      79 LUDACRIS THEATER OF THE MIND 6,796 8,055 -16 590,604
                      87 YOUNG JEEZY RECESSION 6,365 7,220 -12 805,509

seems like T.I. could sell 2,5m in the end
                      Ludacris starts falling apparently, I guess he won't sell more than 700k, the same for Plies who will struggle to sell more than 400k...

Comment

If T.I. releases successful single after Dead & Gone, he can reach 3 million mark... Who knows, will T.I. release any singles?
                        We will never forget you

Comment

He's going to jail by the end of this month (if I'm not wrong), so I don't think so...
                          "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is easily the best mainstream hip-hop album since 2001's The Blueprint by Jay-Z."

Comment

Khia - Thug Misses (almost 900,000) Gold
                            Haven't been early since '88

Comment

will T.I. release any singles?
                              well the album is supposed to be re-released soon, with the first single being another duet with Justin, so wait and see...
                              but even if the album "only" sells 2.5 million, I dunno if you guys realize but it would mean T.I. is now bigger than 2Pac, Jay-Z, Biggie or DMX have ever been

Comment

Originally posted by mattsky
                                Khia - Thug Misses (almost 900,000) Gold
                                not enough to be in the top 10 of 2002 (if that's what you mean)

Comment

Just for fun I made this list based on yearly overall sales, in order to make comparisons with albums released last year (basically if MC Hammer's album had been released in 2008 it would have sold 6,5m).
                                  So in a way this list could be called "the most successful rap albums of all time, based on 2008 overall sales".

There's one difficult case : the Beastie Boys' "Licensed To Ill", which must have sold close to 11m but sold only 5m in the first years after its release (huge catalog seller), so I only counted 5m for this album (if not it would be #1 by far ).

1. MC Hammer - "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" : 6,5 million
                                  2. Eminem - "The Eminem Show" : 5,7 million
                                  3. Eminem - "The Marshall Mathers LP" : 5,6 million
                                  4. 50 Cent - "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" : 5 million
                                  5. Will Smith - "Big Willie Style" : 4,6 million
                                  6. Vanilla Ice - "To The Extreme" : 4,5 million
                                  7. Beastie Boys - "Licensed To Ill" : 4,5 million
                                  8. Nelly - "Country Grammar" : 4,2 million
                                  9. Nelly - "Nellyville" : 3,6 million
                                  10. Puff Daddy - "No Way Out" : 3,6 million

11. Outkast - "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" : 3,5 million
                                  12. Snoop Doggy Dogg - "Doggystyle" : 3,4 million
                                  13. 50 Cent - "The Massacre" : 3,3 million
                                  14. Dr Dre - "2001" : 3,1 million
                                  15. Dr Dre - "The Chronic" : 3,1 million
                                  16. Eminem - "Encore" : 3,1 million
                                  17. Bone Thugs & Harmony - "E.1999 Eternal" : 2,9 million
                                  18. Salt N Pepa - "Very Necessary" : 2,9 million
                                  19. 2Pac - "All Eyez On Me" : 2,8 million
                                  20. Eminem - "The Slim Shady LP" : 2,7 million

21. "8 Mile" soundtrack : 2,7 million
                                  22. Run DMC - "Raising Hell" : 2,7 million
                                  23. Notorious BIG - "Life After Death" : 2,6 million
                                  24. Black Eyed Peas - "Monkey Business" : 2,6 million
                                  25. Kris Kross - "Totally Krossed Out" : 2,5 million
                                  26. Arrested Development - "4 Years..." : 2,5 million
                                  27. 2Pac - "Greatest Hits" : 2,4 million
                                  28. Jay-Z - "Hard Knock Life" : 2,4 million
                                  29. DMX - "And Then There Was X" : 2,2 million
                                  30. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - "He's The DJ..." : 2,2 million

31. DMX - "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot" : 2,1 million
                                  32. Hammer - "Too Legit To Quit" : 2 million
                                  33. Mase - "Harlem World" : 2 million
                                  34. Kanye West - "Late Registration" : 2 million
                                  35. Eminem - "Curtain Call - The Hits" : 2 million

Comment

Originally posted by HUR
                                    Well done, the best topic, the best user. The best.
                                    I love you too
                                    so who's your favorite rapper HUR ?
                                    Illya Kuryaky & The Valderramas. I can't believe I forgot them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNPKP36t10

Comment

will T.I. release any singles?
                                      well the album is supposed to be re-released soon, with the first single being another duet with Justin, so wait and see...
                                      but even if the album "only" sells 2.5 million, I dunno if you guys realize but it would mean T.I. is now bigger than 2Pac, Jay-Z, Biggie or DMX have ever been
                                      TI wont sell 2.5 mill. He has to go 28 more weeks of selling the same amount as now. And even if he did, he has probably had the most airplay from a rap album ever!! Three No.1's and SLU. I doubt he will ever be close to this, he was actually bigger during KING. Anyway, Ludacris is the biggest solo artist ever from the south. This time if he had at least one good single he would have sold 1million+

Comment

Just for fun I made this list based on yearly overall sales, in order to make comparisons with albums released last year (basically if MC Hammer's album had been released in 2008 it would have sold 6,5m).
                                        So in a way this list could be called "the most successful rap albums of all time, based on 2008 overall sales".

There's one difficult case : the Beastie Boys' "Licensed To Ill", which must have sold close to 11m but sold only 5m in the first years after its release (huge catalog seller), so I only counted 5m for this album (if not it would be #1 by far ).

1. MC Hammer - "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" : 6,5 million
                                        2. Eminem - "The Eminem Show" : 5,7 million
                                        3. Eminem - "The Marshall Mathers LP" : 5,6 million
                                        4. 50 Cent - "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" : 5 million
                                        5. Will Smith - "Big Willie Style" : 4,6 million
                                        6. Vanilla Ice - "To The Extreme" : 4,5 million
                                        7. Beastie Boys - "Licensed To Ill" : 4,5 million
                                        8. Nelly - "Country Grammar" : 4,2 million
                                        9. Nelly - "Nellyville" : 3,6 million
                                        10. Puff Daddy - "No Way Out" : 3,6 million

11. Outkast - "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" : 3,5 million
                                        12. Snoop Doggy Dogg - "Doggystyle" : 3,4 million
                                        13. 50 Cent - "The Massacre" : 3,3 million
                                        14. Dr Dre - "2001" : 3,1 million
                                        15. Dr Dre - "The Chronic" : 3,1 million
                                        16. Eminem - "Encore" : 3,1 million
                                        17. Bone Thugs & Harmony - "E.1999 Eternal" : 2,9 million
                                        18. Salt N Pepa - "Very Necessary" : 2,9 million
                                        19. 2Pac - "All Eyez On Me" : 2,8 million
                                        20. Eminem - "The Slim Shady LP" : 2,7 million

21. "8 Mile" soundtrack : 2,7 million
                                        22. Run DMC - "Raising Hell" : 2,7 million
                                        23. Notorious BIG - "Life After Death" : 2,6 million
                                        24. Black Eyed Peas - "Monkey Business" : 2,6 million
                                        25. Kris Kross - "Totally Krossed Out" : 2,5 million
                                        26. Arrested Development - "4 Years..." : 2,5 million
                                        27. 2Pac - "Greatest Hits" : 2,4 million
                                        28. Jay-Z - "Hard Knock Life" : 2,4 million
                                        29. DMX - "And Then There Was X" : 2,2 million
                                        30. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - "He's The DJ..." : 2,2 million

31. DMX - "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot" : 2,1 million
                                        32. Hammer - "Too Legit To Quit" : 2 million
                                        33. Mase - "Harlem World" : 2 million
                                        34. Kanye West - "Late Registration" : 2 million
                                        35. Eminem - "Curtain Call - The Hits" : 2 million
                                        Another way of comparing past albums to now is getting their Billboard 200 chart run and seeing which one did better.

Comment

50 Cent - Album certifications (Worldwide)

Get Rich Or Die Tryin'

ARIA Certification: 2x Platinum (140,000+)
                                          BPI Certification: 2x Platinum (600,000+)
                                          CRIA Certification: 6x Platinum (600,000+)
                                          IFPI (Germany): Gold (100,000+)
                                          IFPI (Norway): Gold (20,000+)
                                          IFPI (Switzerland): Platinum (40,000+)
                                          IRMA Certification: Platinum (10,000+)
                                          NFPP Certification: 3x Platinum (60,000+)
                                          RIAA Certification: 6x Platinum (7,800,000+)
                                          RIANZ Certification: 2x Platinum (30,000+)
                                          SNEP Certification: Gold (100,000+)

Total: 9,500,000

The Massacre

ARIA Certification: Platinum (70,000+)
                                          BPI Certification: Platinum (300,000+)
                                          CRIA Certification: 3x Platinum (300,000+)
                                          FIMI Certification: Gold (60,000+ thanks Zago for the estimation)
                                          IFPI (Germany): Platinum (200,000+)
                                          IFPI (Switzerland): Platinum (40,000+)
                                          IRMA Certification: 2x Platinum (20,000+)
                                          RIAA Certification: 5x Platinum (5,100,000+)
                                          RIANZ Certification: Platinum (15,000+)

Total: 6,265,000

Curtis

ARIA Certification: Gold (35,000+)
                                          IFPI (Austria): Gold (15,000+)
                                          IFPI (Germany): Gold (100,000+)
                                          IRMA Certification: Platinum (10,000+)
                                          RIAA Certification: (Should Be) Platinum (1,500,000+)
                                          RIANZ Certification: Gold (7,500+)
                                          ZPAV Certification: Gold (20,000+)

Total: 1,847,500

P.S. I think Curtis should be certified in UK and Canada. If someone have sales figures from this 2 country or if you have other certfications, post it.

Comment

"Curtis" shipped 2,6m worldwide (soundscan : 1,3m, actually it could be outsold by "T.I. vs T.I.P." soon).

Comment

"Curtis" shipped 2,6m worldwide (soundscan : 1,3m, actually it could be outsold by "T.I. vs T.I.P." soon).
                                              I thought he sold 2.4 worldwide...however, the total of each album are numbers that comes from the certification levels...both 3 albums actually sold more.

Comment

Originally posted by Willypedia
                                                I thought he sold 2.4 worldwide...however, the total of each album are numbers that comes from the certification levels...both 3 albums actually sold more.
                                                He sold 2,4m and shipped 2,6m

Comment

Ops...sorry!

Comment

also he said once that The Massacre shipped 9,8m, I dunno if it's true though...

Comment

I think so...while Get Rich is close to 13m.

Comment

Willypedia's right about the Curtis WW sales and US sales. WW it's still below 2m. And in US its at 1.5 while TIvsTIp is at about 1.3-1.4

Comment

Originally posted by jaja70
                                                          Willypedia's right about the Curtis WW sales and US sales. WW it's still below 2m. And in US its at 1.5 while TIvsTIp is at about 1.3-1.4

Comment

Spiderpig, do you have sales figures from Canada or UK about Curtis?

2 new certifications found:

IFPI Switzerland - The Massacre (Platinum)
                                                            IFPI Switzerland - Get Rich or Die Tryin' (Platinum)

Comment

Curtis sold around 200k in the UK, I dunno about Canada (maybe around 100k...)

Comment

Working...
                                                              X