Record Business Top 100 chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed
    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Thanks Graham. I thought Rebel M.C. & Double Trouble were #55 in that chart (it was played in Capital FM's 4 - 5pm slot on 31st Dec 1989, as some records outside the top 30 of 1989). They are on 246,000. Alice Cooper was played at #64 in the same hour. I think it was the first to be played, infact. So, looks like "I Just Don't Have The Heart" would of got between 239,000/240,000. So, looks like (on that occasion) it was a better case of accuracy. Going by the Silver Disc in 1990. Perhaps Gallup's muliplier of 17, wasn't working correct for Cliff in 1988/89. Feasible stuff & the multiplier wasn't always correct. It was just a guide really.

Comment

• Removed

Comment

• Dave, for Gallup 1985, you have Dickson & Paige on 753 and Jagger & Bowie on 625. On the Y/E analysis in RM AJ had D & P on 797 and J & B also on 625. Your figures tend to come in lower (AJ used x18,?) than his , so is this right?..

On popscene you have posted a top 700 of the 80's, do these figures here supcede those ones?

Comment

• Originally posted by davetaylor
            Thanks Graham. I thought Rebel M.C. & Double Trouble were #55 in that chart (it was played in Capital FM's 4 - 5pm slot on 31st Dec 1989, as some records outside the top 30 of 1989). They are on 246,000. Alice Cooper was played at #64 in the same hour. I think it was the first to be played, infact. So, looks like "I Just Don't Have The Heart" would of got between 239,000/240,000. So, looks like (on that occasion) it was a better case of accuracy. Going by the Silver Disc in 1990. Perhaps Gallup's muliplier of 17, wasn't working correct for Cliff in 1988/89. Feasible stuff & the multiplier wasn't always correct. It was just a guide really.
            I'm becoming more and more disillusioned as a lot of these figures are revealed.

Surely whether the data is collected mostly in Independents or Chains or whatever the final sales figures should be somewhat similar for the two charts because differences in the various outlets would be catered for? Otherwise what was the point of it at all.

I thought Gallup in particular did a lot of market research so that the panel of shops supplying data were representative of the market as a whole.

Is this MRIB chart for 1989 based on sales alone? - I am amazed to see that MRIB has the previous Cliff Richard single The Best Of Me at #43 for the year well ahead of Hear t(#60). Gallup has this at #84 for the year BEHIND Heart. That's a heck of a big difference.

Comment

• Removed

Comment

• Originally posted by fiesta
                Dave, for Gallup 1985, you have Dickson & Paige on 753 and Jagger & Bowie on 625. On the Y/E analysis in RM AJ had D & P on 797 and J & B also on 625. Your figures tend to come in lower (AJ used x18,?) than his , so is this right?..

On popscene you have posted a top 700 of the 80's, do these figures here supcede those ones?
                Error on my part with Bowie & Jagger. God knows what I did there. Mixed it up with something else!

Alan Jones on Bowie & Jagger. In the Top 200 of the 80s, he had them on 661,000!

Ignore my Popscene posts. Most are old & incomplete. The Top 700 of the 80s (I hink) is an old post, that Brian H posted on Haven at some point. Popscene crashed, a couple of weeks back & any updates I made there, were lost to the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by rubcale
                  Originally posted by davetaylor
                  Thanks Graham. I thought Rebel M.C. & Double Trouble were #55 in that chart (it was played in Capital FM's 4 - 5pm slot on 31st Dec 1989, as some records outside the top 30 of 1989). They are on 246,000. Alice Cooper was played at #64 in the same hour. I think it was the first to be played, infact. So, looks like "I Just Don't Have The Heart" would of got between 239,000/240,000. So, looks like (on that occasion) it was a better case of accuracy. Going by the Silver Disc in 1990. Perhaps Gallup's muliplier of 17, wasn't working correct for Cliff in 1988/89. Feasible stuff & the multiplier wasn't always correct. It was just a guide really.
                  I'm becoming more and more disillusioned as a lot of these figures are revealed.

Surely whether the data is collected mostly in Independents or Chains or whatever the final sales figures should be somewhat similar for the two charts because differences in the various outlets would be catered for? Otherwise what was the point of it at all.

I thought Gallup in particular did a lot of market research so that the panel of shops supplying data were representative of the market as a whole.

Is this MRIB chart for 1989 based on sales alone? - I am amazed to see that MRIB has the previous Cliff Richard single The Best Of Me at #43 for the year well ahead of Hear t(#60). Gallup has this at #84 for the year BEHIND Heart. That's a heck of a big difference.
                  Remember what I said earlier? The Network Chart included aurplay throughout. The ones I listed, did not included any airplay. The 1984 to 87 charts came from Sounds. The rest via Barry Lazell (back in the day). The Airplay factor could spin a record up some what or down some what. Mike has confirmed (however) that "Just Don't Have The Heart" did indeed pass the 230,000 mark in MRIB's equation.

Really the answer is in the reflection of shops, which are boosted by one style or another. MRIB (in the independant market) couldn't really "create" 6,000 shops out of 300 & (reallY) Gallup couldn't "create" 5,000 from 250. Mainly because different styles of buying is not accounted for. You've got MRIB polling 300 Independant shops, not polled by Gallup & Gallup polling big chains, Woolworths, HMV etc. Gallup lose most of the Independant market.

Look at the 1969 to 1974 charts. No Woolworths info in any of them. How can you "create" something you're not sure of? 200/220 shops polled by BMRB, couldn't possibly account for the unknown sales of Woolworths.

Need an example? Let's go to "Baker Street" an early RB #1 & "Matchstick Men & Matchstalk Cats & Dogs". Baker Street (according to RB) sold some 20,000 more than Matchstick Men. Both topped the RB chart for one solitary week. "Matchstick Men" was #1 in BMRB's lists for much longer. This really explains that no Chart compiler (working with different types of shop) could ever even "guess" what was selling in an unpolled set of stores. Although some sales in both charts can be similar, many won't be. Some will be because the multiplers applied (at the time) didn't play to it's expectations, or (on some weeks) more people bought a certain record in different shops. The classic example there, being Crass released records. No hits in the top 200 by the BMRB or Gallup standards, but 3 top 75 singles in the RB/MRIB samples. So, the end sales have to be somewhere in the middle. All is (more or less) explained by the silver disc of "Just Don't Have The Heart". If it only sold 169,000 in 1989, where did the other 80,000 appear from? Missed sales? Mistakes? Unknown numbers of Unsold returns? Hype? Who knows?!

"The Best Of Me" must of had more airplay than "Just Don't Have The Heart", being his 100th single. And we already know that "Just" was a SAW production & they always sold better in the MRIB market. Airplay could be pushed up the chart by up to 20 positions in the lower reaches, but less & less as you get nearer the top 10. Like we previously said with "She's So Beautiful". Another example was the Thompson Twins "Lay Your Hands On Me" in early 1985. Top 10 single for MRIB's Network Chart, but not so in MRIB's Sounds chart.

Just imagine a group of Radio stations did a sweep of sales from all download sites, except iTunes....In vain you'd have a similar answer to the "problems" of MRIB & Gallup. Except (now) you'd know that iTunes have a near 80% of the market cornered, hence the usage of, by Big Top 40. You could get an imaginary scenario, where iTunes turn round & say "All our info will now only be carried by Big Top 40 & no one else will be able to access it". Guess that would kind of annoy Radio One chart boffins! Suddenly Cliff geta a new top 5 single, because Amazon have advertised it & all the over 40s have downloaded it from Amazon, but only a couple of thousand bought it from iTunes. That sort of thing has happened previously, with Katie Melua having a single,only available in Tescos & Gabrielle Aplin having a physical release exclusive to John Lewis. So, it could happen with Cliff (or anyone else). Aplin got a #1 single out it, but was only #5 on iTunes downloads.

Comment

• I hope Topicel doesn't mind me reporting something from EMI documentation that he has, which shows that I Just Don't Have The Heart by Cliff Richard had shipped nearly 208,000 copies by mid-December 1989, and so the April 1990 silver certification came long after it had actually achieved this level. BPI certification data is a bit unreliable for 1989 and 1990. I have in effect seen 3 different lists for 1989.

Gallup weren't of course "creating" 5,000 shops from 250. The multiplier value of 17 indicates 4,250 shops, roughly what they had identified on their register, basically where record companies shipped to.

And I feel compelled to remind people that it was that the reported figures that were based on a standard panel of 250, which is not the same thing as sampling 250 shops. By the end of the 1980s the sample was at least 900. No cell had a 1 to 30 relationship between what was sampled and the number of the shops in the cell, I think in very few cases would it have been less accurate than 1 in 5 in the late 1980s.

Comment

• Originally posted by MFR
                      I hope Topicel doesn't mind me reporting something from EMI documentation that he has, which shows that I Just Don't Have The Heart by Cliff Richard had shipped nearly 208,000 copies by mid-December 1989, and so the April 1990 silver certification came long after it had actually achieved this level.
                      Do you know if this is net or gross, MFR?

It's an interesting figure because it would certainly contradict the MRIB calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by MFR
                        I hope Topicel doesn't mind me reporting something from EMI documentation that he has, which shows that I Just Don't Have The Heart by Cliff Richard had shipped nearly 208,000 copies by mid-December 1989, and so the April 1990 silver certification came long after it had actually achieved this level.
                        Do you know if this is net or gross, MFR?

It's an interesting figure because it would certainly contradict the MRIB calculations.
                        It doesn't really matter much, because MRIB did not work with BPI. Though I can't see that it would of sold 250,000 by the the April, after only cracking up 169,000 in the Gallup lists. Whether it shipped 208,000 by December, still doesn't account for it. You're looking at 80,000 in 4 months here. It couldn't of happened. At least (in those sums) it would of re-entered the top 75 & it didn't. The only other explaination is Gallup's multiplier didn't work for that disc. Inplicating the missed Independant sector & the "over" placed MRIB multiplier. Too late to fix the scales, I fear. And (I daresay) it would be the case in other SAW products too. Rick, Kylie (definately Donna Summer) & Jason Donovan.

Comment

• The figure for I Just Don't Have The Heart is a gross shipment figure to mid-December 1989, with nothing shipped in the previous week and no returns either (or less likely new shipmments were cancelled out by returns in that week).

Dave, don't forget that silver was only 200,000 by this point, down from the old 250,000, so no further shipments are required for silver. Returns would soon have begun taking the sales down to an unknown eventual net total.

Comment

• Originally posted by MFR
                            The figure for I Just Don't Have The Heart is a gross shipment figure to mid-December 1989, with nothing shipped in the previous week and no returns either (or less likely new shipmments were cancelled out by returns in that week).

Dave, don't forget that silver was only 200,000 by this point, down from the old 250,000, so no further shipments are required for silver. Returns would soon have begun taking the sales down to an unknown eventual net total.
                            I'd forgotten the change. Always thought it were daft, personally.

169,000 & 208,000. A 29,000 difference.

I'm thinking MRIB's figure might still included the airplay shot here (I didn't have any figure for it, myself). The Airplay factor depended on the number of Independant Radio stations, playing said record. Which could be between 5 & 25%, but no higher. In which case, it could be taken down to 179,000. Which is more in line, with Gallup.

Though MRIB's 1989 chart is rather high in lots of figures. Bangles & Jason Donovan 545,000 to 580,000. Whilst on Gallup 498,000 vs 461,000. Again too high, by BPI standards to MRIB.

Comment

• Disregard the last bit. Mike's been back & confiirmed most airplay was still in that 1989 list & some multipliers were still to 20. He's now decreased & removed any remaining airplay. "The Best Of Me" had complete airplay of 25%, whilst "Just Don't Have The Heart" included an 10% ratio of airplay. Multiplier to 17 = 178,000. Which we may expect to a slightly expect to the SAW production of the Independant shop.

Gallup in 1983 will be posted soon.

Comment

• Finding this post a fascinating read.

Interestingly the OCC tweeted today that Whitney Houston's 'One More Moment In Time' was the UK #1 single this week in 1988; and that it sold 326,000 copies and finished 14th for that year...

http://www.officialcharts.com/featur...-in-time-2550/
                                New York, London, Paris, Munich...
                                Everybody talk about pop muzik!!

Comment

• I don't know if the system for returning singles is slow and complicated but EMI was very good at keeping its data up to date so the December figure MFR quoted is surely accurate. I wouldn't have thought that on a record selling around 200k stores would still be stocking 30/40k (208k - 178k/169k) some 2 months after it had dropped out of the chart.

Certainly Woolworth would have long made their returns.

It all sounds very unsettling.

Comment

I don't know if the system for returning singles is slow and complicated but EMI was very good at keeping its data up to date so the December figure MFR quoted is surely accurate. I wouldn't have thought that on a record selling around 200k stores would still be stocking 30/40k (208k - 178k/169k) some 2 months after it had dropped out of the chart.

Certainly Woolworth would have long made their returns.

It all sounds very unsettling.
                                    Like we've said though. The Gallup multiplier (in this case at 17) is not always spot on.

Comment

• Removed

Comment

• Using the 1984 year end analysis in RM (which lists the top selling arists but instead of sales gives percentages) and Daves figures, these are what I have worked out the top 4 selling singles artists of 1984's panel sales were
                                        1 FGTH 222,200 (100%)
                                        2 Band Aid 132,200 (59.5 singles sold for every 100 of FGTH)
                                        3 Wham 129,700 (58.4)
                                        4 Stevie Wonder 102,200 (46)

Using a 17 multiplier this gives Stevie Wonder's total as 1,737,000 between two singles and FGTH a total of 3,777,000 over there three singles. Which roughly would break down like this.

I just called 1730k

Relax 1720k
                                        Two tribes 1510k

(Dave, I cant get 1510k and 1450k for FGTH to work on a 17 multiplier?)

Last Xmas would come out at around 800k at x17

Comment

• 1983 (Gallup) Now Corrected.
                                          01 KARMA CHAMELEON - CULTURE CLUB 1.39m by 1989 (955,000 in 1983, without 1984 even. Alan Jones reported 1.3 for the first week of December 1983....Open to question)
                                          02 BLUE MONDAY - NEW ORDER 925,800
                                          03 UPTOWN GIRL - BILLY JOEL 871,000 (shipped 975,000)
                                          04 RED RED WINE - UB40 770,000
                                          05 YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE - PHIL COLLINS 745,000
                                          06 LET'S DANCE - DAVID BOWIE 692,000
                                          07 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART - BONNIE TYLER 689,600
                                          08 TRUE - SPANDAU BALLET 686,700
                                          09 ONLY YOU - FLYING PICKETS 670,500 (680,000 by the end of 1984)
                                          10 DOWN UNDER - MEN AT WORK 663,000
                                          11 BILLIE JEAN - MICHAEL JACKSON 638,000
                                          12 ALL NIGHT LONG - LIONEL RICHIE 615,000
                                          13 LOVE OF THE COMMON PEOPLE - PAUL YOUNG 612,000
                                          14 SWEET DREAMS - EURYTHMICS 580,000
                                          15 I.O.U. - FREEEZ 538,000 (In the original 1983 & 1987 re-mix versions chart runs)
                                          16 TOO SHY - KAJAGOOGOO 530,000
                                          17 WHEREVER I LAY MY HAT - PAUL YOUNG 525,000
                                          18 EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE - POLICE 510,000
                                          19 IS THERE SOMETHING I SHOULD KNOW - DURAN DURAN 505,000
                                          20 GIVE IT UP - K.C. & THE SUNSHINE BAND 500,000
                                          21 SAY SAY SAY - PAUL MCCARTNEY/MICHAEL JACKSON 465,000
                                          22 BABY JANE - ROD STEWART 455,000
                                          23 THEY DON'T KNOW - TRACEY ULLMAN 439,000
                                          24 HOLD ME NOW - THOMPSON TWINS 438,000 (though awarded a gold disc)
                                          25 WORDS - F.R. DAVID 429,000
                                          26 TONIGHT I CELEBRATE MY LOVE - ROBERTA FLACK/PEABO BRYSON 425,000
                                          27 MY OH MY - SLADE 424,000 (though awarded a gold disc)
                                          28 BAD BOYS - WHAM! 423,000
                                          29 FLASHDANCE - IRENE CARA 405,000
                                          30 NEW SONG - HOWARD JONES 402,000
                                          31 MOONLIGHT SHADOW - MIKE OLDFIELD 394,000
                                          32 CRY JUST A LITTLE BIT - SHAKIN' STEVENS 366,000
                                          33 SIGN OF THE TIMES - BELLE STARS 365,000
                                          34 VICTIMS - CULTURE CLUB 364,000 (though awarded a gold disc)
                                          35 CANDY GIRL - NEW EDITION 360,000
                                          36 TEMPTATION - HEAVEN 17 355,000
                                          37 CHURCH OF THE POISON MIND - CULTURE CLUB 350,000
                                          38 LET'S STAY TOGETHER - TINA TURNER 343,000
                                          39 ELECTRIC AVENUE - EDDY GRANT 340,000
                                          40 MAMA - GENESIS 335,000
                                          41 BEAT IT - MICHAEL JACKSON 330,000
                                          42 DOUBLE DUTCH - MALCOLM MCLAREN 325,000
                                          43 AFRICA - TOTO 320,000
                                          44 CLUB TROPICANA - WHAM! 319,000
                                          45 KEEPING FEELING FASCINATION - HUMAN LEAGUE 315,000
                                          46 GOLD - SPANDAU BALLET 313,400
                                          47 MODERN LOVE - DAVID BOWIE 308,100
                                          48 COME BACK AND STAY - PAUL YOUNG 303,900
                                          49 ISLANDS IN THE STREAM - KENNY ROGERS/DOLLY PARTON 297,000
                                          50 A WINTER'S TALE - DAVID ESSEX 293,000
                                          51 I'M STILL STANDING - ELTON JOHN 290,000
                                          52 STORY OF THE BLUES - WAH! 287,000
                                          53 MARGUERITA TIME - STATUS QUO 285,000
                                          54 HEY YOU (THE ROCKSTEADY CREW) - ROCKSTEADY CREW 278,000
                                          55 UP WHERE WE BELONG - JOE COCKER/JENNIFER WARNES 272,000 (& 1989 re-issue)
                                          56 THRILLER - MICHAEL JACKSON 270,000
                                          57 NOBODY'S DIARY - YAZOO 266,000
                                          58 DANCING TIGHT - GALAXY 263,000
                                          59 ROCK THE BOAT - FORREST 258,000
                                          60 SAFETY DANCE - MEN WITHOUT HATS 253,000
                                          61 UNION OF THE SNAKE - DURAN DURAN 252,000
                                          62 WHO'S THAT GIRL - EURYTHMICS 250,000
                                          63 CAN'T GET USED TO LOSING YOU - THE BEAT 247,000
                                          64 CHANGE - TEARS FOR FEARS 245,000
                                          65 WINGS OF A DOVE - MADNESS 244,000
                                          66 BOXERBEAT - JOBOXERS 243,000
                                          69 COME LIVE WITH ME - HEAVEN 17 238,500
                                          67 EVERYTHING COUNTS - DEPECHE MODE 236,000 (1983 & 1989 versions)
                                          68 CALLING YOUR NAME - MARILYN 235,000
                                          70 WALKING IN THE RAIN - MODERN ROMANCE 230,000
                                          71 DEAR PRUDENCE - SIOUXIE & THE BANSHEES 229,000
                                          72 SPEAK LIKE A CHILD - STYLE COUNCIL 228,000
                                          73 LONG HOT SUMMER/PARIS MATCH - STYLE COUNCIL 226,000
                                          74 BREAKAWAY - TRACEY ULLMAN 224,000
                                          75 DOLCE VITA - RYAN PARIS 223,000
                                          76 SUPERMAN - BLACK LACE 221,000
                                          77 NA NA HEY HEY HEY KISS HIM GOODBYE - BANANARAMA 214,000
                                          78 BUFFALO SOLDIER - BOB MARLEY 212,000
                                          79 I GUESS THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT THE BLUES - ELTON JOHN 208,200
                                          80 GLORIA - LAURA BRANIGAN 208,000
                                          81 ORVILLE'S SONG - KEITH HARRIS 205,000
                                          82 CHINA GIRL - DAVID BOWIE 201,000
                                          83 IN YOUR EYES - GEORGE BENSON 196,000
                                          84 PUSS 'IN' BOOTS - ADAM ANT 194,000
                                          85 WHAM RAP - WHAM! 193,000
                                          86 OH DIANE - FLEETWOOD MAC 192,000
                                          87 PLEASE DON'T FALL IN LOVE - CLIFF RICHARD 188,000
                                          88 LOVE ON YOUR SIDE - THOMPSON TWINS 187,000
                                          89 THE SUN GOES DOWN - LEVEL 42 187,000
                                          90 THE CROWN - GARY BYRD (12 INCH) 185,000
                                          91 NEVER NEVER - ASSEMBLY 184,000
                                          92 WISHING I HAD A PHOTOGRAPH OF YOU - A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS 183,000
                                          93 LOVE CATS - CURE 181,000
                                          94 ROCKIT - HERBIE HANCOCK 178,000
                                          95 MOVE OVER DARLING - TRACEY ULLMAN 176,000
                                          96 CHANCE - BIG COUNTRY 176,000
                                          97 RIP IT UP - ORANGE JUICE 175,000
                                          98 THIS IS NOT A LOVE SONG - PUBLIC IMAGE LTD 174,000
                                          99 OUR LIPS ARE SEALED - FUN BOY THREE 172,000
                                          100 WHAT AM I GONNA DO - ROD STEWART 171,000
                                          101 FRIENDS - SHALAMAR 170,000
                                          102 ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD - DIONNE WARWICK 170
                                          103 STEPPIN' OUT - JOE JACKSON 169,000
                                          104 PALE SHELTER - TEARS FOR FEARS 167,000
                                          105 HEARTACHE AVENUE - MAISONETTES 164,000
                                          106 MANEATER - DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES 163,000
                                          107 SUN AND THE RAIN - MADNESS 162,000
                                          108 IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT - BUCKS FIZZ 161
                                          109 LOVE IS A STRANGER - EURYTHMICS 160,000 (1982 & 1983)
                                          110 RIGHT BY YOUR SIDE - EURYTHMICS 159,000
                                          THEME FROM HARRY'S GAME - CLANNAD 149

NOTE: On this one, we have some of the cross overs from December 1982 into January 1983 (& of course) BMRB did not cover the w/k ending 1st January 1983, as they closed for Christmas! So, in order to give complete figures for the likes of Keith Harris & David Essex, I've worked around the missed week, in comparison to the Record Business figure. Though it comes out rough, it's very close, to what it should of been.

Compared to the MRIB list, somethings are strange. As MRIB were not compiling weekly pop singles charts in 1983, I first thought the figures were "borrowed" from Gallup. Some (obviously) have been. Others seem to be shipment figures. For instance the MRIB chart of 1983, has the Thompson Twins on 522,000 (Gallup 438,000), McCartney & Jackson 505,000 (Gallup 476,000), Slade 500,000 (Gallup 424,000), Culture Club's Victims 495,000 (Gallup 364). All of which seem to tie in, with the BPI awards....The other oddity is the Flying Pickets with 750,000 with MRIB & 670,000 with Gallup. This looks like MRIB, have taken the Gallup figures & used a higher multplier for them. Almost like an "invisible" week was added. I though at first, that Gallup had missed a week in December 1983, but no. Even though there was no chart for w/k ending 31st Dec 83, Gallup kept their computers rolling for a complete year end chart (that covered w/k ending 15th Jan 83 to w/k ending 7th Jan 1984). W/k 8th Jan 1983, disappears from all lists, as technicallly it would fit on to the year end chart of 1982. Though (with the end of BMRB's contract) it couldn't be added to the 1982 lists & (therefore) 1982, only covered w/k ending 17th Jan to w/k ending 25th Dec. But we're set that right, when we cover 1982, very soon.

Comment

• ^
                                            BMRB did more than just close down for Christmas for the chart dated 1 January 1983 - they closed down as chart compiler for good! Once Christmas was out of the way in 1982 it was Gallup who took over chart compilation duties.

It always struck me that it was quite a brave decision for the industry to change chart compilers right in the middle of the holiday season as there wouldn't be much room for manoeuvre if things were to go wrong.

Thanks for all the charts and sales figures you've posted so far Dave, it's most appreciated.

Comment

• 1982 (British Market Research Bureau)
                                              01 COME ON EILEEN - DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS 1.05m
                                              02 FAME - IRENE CARA 875,000 (today they say 975,000!)
                                              03 EYE OF THE TIGER - SURVIVOR 865,000 (it switched places with "Fame" in 1986 & gained another 20,000. These days they seem to be calling it 980,000!)
                                              04 LION SLEEP'S TONIGHT - TIGHT FIT 860,000 (these days they call it 978,000!)
                                              05 DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME - CULTURE CLUB 788,200 (by 1985 & 765,000 in 1982. Shipped 815,000)
                                              06 SAVE YOUR LOVE - RENEE AND RENATO 763,000
                                              07 I DON'T WANNA DANCE - EDDY GRANT 760,000
                                              08 PASS THE DUTCHIE - MUSICAL YOUTH 760,000
                                              09 LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE - BUCK'S FIZZ 740,000
                                              10 SEVEN TEARS - GOOMBAY BANCE BAND 673,000
                                              11 EBONY AND IVORY - PAUL MCCARTNEY/STEVIE WONDER 671,000
                                              12 TOWN CALLED MALICE - JAM 661,000
                                              13 GOLDEN BROWN - STRANGLERS 622,000
                                              14 MAD WORLD - TEARS FOR FEARS 595,000
                                              15 THE MODEL - KRAFTWERK 565,000
                                              16 MICKEY - TONI BASIL 540,000
                                              17 LOVE PLUS ONE - HAIRCUT 100 535,000
                                              18 OH JULIE - SHAKIN' STEVENS (not a RB #1) 526,900
                                              19 HEARTBREAKER - DIONNE WARWICK 495,000
                                              20 GOODY TWO SHOWS - ADAM ANT 485,000
                                              21 ONLY YOU - YAZOO 475,000
                                              22 DON'T GO - YAZOO 460,000
                                              23 WALKING ON SUNSHINE - ROCKER'S REVENGE 455,000
                                              24 ZOOM - FAT LARRY'S BAND 450,000
                                              25 I WON'T LET YOU DOWN - PHD 443,000
                                              26 JUST AN ILLUSION - IMAGINATION 439,000
                                              27 STARMAKER - KIDS FROM FAME 432,000 (though awarded a gold disc)
                                              28 HARD TO SAY I'M SORRY - CHICAGO 431,000
                                              29 ABRACADABRA - STEVE MILLER BAND 430,000
                                              30 YOUNG GUNS - WHAM! (a RB #1) 405,000
                                              31 LOOK OF LOVE - ABC 405,000
                                              32 HOUSE OF FUN - MADNESS 397,000 (430,000 by shipped)
                                              33 CENTERFOLD - J. GEILS BAND 396,000
                                              34 TIME (CLOCK OF THE HEART) - CULTURE CLUB 395,000 (430,000 shipped)
                                              35 DEAD RINGER FOR LOVE - MEAT LOAF 389,000
                                              36 MAID OF ORLEANS - OMD 384,500
                                              37 MIRROR MAN - HUMAN LEAGUE 375,000
                                              38 MIRROR MIRROR - DOLLAR 372 ,000
                                              39 OUR HOUSE - MADNESS 357,000
                                              40 AIN'T NO PLEASING YOU - CHAS & DAVE (a RB #1) 352,000
                                              41 BEAT SURRENDER - JAM 353,000 (though some 450,000 shipped)
                                              42 THE SHAKIN' STEVENS E.P. (BLUE CHRISTMAS ETC) - SHAKIN' STEVENS 351000
                                              43 SAVE A PRAYER - DURAN DURAN 349,000
                                              44 AIN'T WHAT YOU DO - BANANARAMA/FUN BOY THREE 345,000
                                              45 A LITTLE PEACE - NICOLE 343,000
                                              46 HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF - DURAN DURAN 338,000
                                              47 GET DOWN ON IT - KOOL AND THE GANG 337,000
                                              48 MY CAMERA NEVER LIES - BUCKS FIZZ (not a RB #1) 333,000
                                              49 BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - MODERN ROMANCE 331,000
                                              50 I'LL FIND MY WAY HOME - JON AND VANGELIS 330,000
                                              51 IT STARTED WITH A KISS - HOT CHOCOLATE 330,000
                                              52 FANTASY ISLAND - TIGHT FIT 329,000
                                              53 ARTHUR'S THEME - CHRISTOPHER CROSS 322,000
                                              54 PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW PIGBAG - PIGBAG (1981 & 1982) 320,000
                                              55 INSIDE OUT - ODYSSEY 319,000
                                              56 TORCH - SOFT CELL 317,000
                                              57 THIS TIME - ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD 315,000
                                              58 SAY HELLO WAVE GOODBYE - SOFT CELL 314,000
                                              59 I'VE NEVER BEEN TO ME - CHARLENE 313,000
                                              60 LITTLE DRUMMER BOY - DAVID BOWIE/BING CROSBY 312,000
                                              61 PRIVATE INVESTIGATIONS - DIRE STRAITS 308,700
                                              62 LIVING ON THE CEILING - BLANCMANGE 306,000
                                              63 POISON ARROW - ABC 305,760
                                              64 SEE YOU - DEPECHE MODE 304,780
                                              65 TRULY - LIONEL RICHIE 303,000
                                              66 MAMA USED TO SAY - JUNIOR 302,820
                                              67 A NIGHT TO REMEMBER - ODYSSEY 301,810
                                              68 GIVE ME BACK MY HEART - DOLLAR 300,860
                                              69 SEXUAL HEALING - MARVIN GAYE 299,000
                                              70 REALLY SAYING SOMETHING - BANANARAMA 298,900
                                              71 I LOVE ROCK 'N' ROLL - JOAN JETT 296,900
                                              72 THERE IT IS - SHALAMAR 293,000
                                              73 WEDDING BELLS - GODLEY & CREME 291,000
                                              74 LOVE COME DOWN - EVELYN KING 290,000
                                              75 DRIVING IN MY CAR - MADNESS 287,140
                                              76 SHY BOY - BANANARAMA 284,200
                                              77 HI-FIDELITY - KIDS FROM FAME 282,240
                                              78 DA DA DA - TRIO 280,280
                                              79 CLASSIC - ADRIAN GURVITZ 272,000
                                              80 CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU - BOYSTOWN GANG 271,460
                                              81 GO WILD IN THE COUNTRY - BOW WOW WOW 270,400
                                              82 HAPPY TALK - CAPTAIN SENSIBLE 269,000
                                              83 WHY - CARLY SIMON (1982 & 1989) 262,000
                                              84 I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD - SHALAMAR 259,000
                                              85 BITTEREST PILL - JAM 258,000
                                              86 WHAT - SOFT CELL 257,000
                                              87 QUIEREME MUCHO (YOURS) - JULIO IGLESIAS 256,760 (forgotten by BMRB? Well it's certainly not in their Top 100 of 1982, so they messed up something, again!)
                                              88 ONE STEP FURTHER - BARDO 255,000
                                              89 I CAN'T GO FOR THAT (NO CAN DO) - DARYL HALL/JOHN OATES 252,500
                                              90 LAYLA - DEREK & THE DOMINOS 248,000
                                              91 ANNIE I'M NOT YOUR DADDY - KID CREOLE 247,500
                                              92 I'M A WONDERFUL THING BABY - KID CREOLE 247,000
                                              run to the hills 246,000 (though covered in the 1985 list)
                                              93 FORGET ME NOTS - PATRICE RUSHEN 245,000
                                              94 ALL OF MY HEART - ABC 243,000
                                              95 EASIER SAID THAN DONE - SHAKATAK 240,000
                                              96 TODAY - TALK TALK 238,000
                                              97 GIRL CRAZY - HOT CHOCOLATE 237,000
                                              98 MORE THAN THIS - ROXY MUSIC 236,000
                                              99 MUSIC & LIGHTS - IMAGINATION 235,000 (The BPI awards this a Gold Disc. However I think, they mixed it up with "Just An Illusion", as it doesn't figure very high in the MRIB Shipment produced 80s chart, & that is obviously based on BPI Awards)
                                              100 GHOSTS - JAPAN 231,000
                                              101 WAITING FOR A GIRL LIKE YOU - FOREIGNER 220,000
                                              102 SADDLE UP - DAVID CHRISTIE 220,000
                                              103 LOVE ME DO - BEATLES 220,000
                                              104 DROWNING IN BERLIN - MOBILES 220,000
                                              105 I COULD BE HAPPY - ALTERED IMAGES 217,000
                                              106 RIO - DURAN DURAN 217,000
                                              107 WORK THAT BODY - DIANA ROSS 216,300
                                              108 I EAT CANNIBALS (PT 1) - TOTO COELO 4 215,400
                                              109 WE HAVE A DREAM - SCOTLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD 215,000
                                              110 BUFFALO GALS - MALCOLM MCLAREN 213,000
                                              111 HYMN - ULTRAVOX 213,000
                                              112 FANTASTIC DAY - HAIRCUT 100 212,000
                                              113 IKO IKO - NATASHA 211,000
                                              114 THE MESSAGE - GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE 209,000
                                              115 BLUE EYES - ELTON JOHN 208,000

Easy mulipliers in 1982 of 10. But increasing singles in the "missed" weeks of BMRB. So, turning to RB to complete the figures in a comparison, in variable carry overs, from Dec 81 to Jan 82 & Dec 82 to Jan 83. Though we're passed #114 & the singles were still selling over 200,000!

Comment

• Cheers Dave. There's some wonderful tracks in the 1982 chart, it takes me back to see them listed!

Comment

• 1981 British Market Research Bureau
                                                  01 DON'T YOU WANT ME - HUMAN LEAGUE 1.2m
                                                  02 TAINTED LOVE - SOFT CELL 995,000 (shipped a million by early 1982)
                                                  03 STAND & DELIVER - ADAM AND THE ANTS 860,000 in 1981 (890,000 by 1984)
                                                  04 IMAGINE - JOHN LENNON 797,000
                                                  05 ANT MUSIC - ADAM AND THE ANTS 770,000
                                                  06 PRINCE CHARMING - ADAM AND THE ANTS 750,000
                                                  07 THIS OLE HOUSE - SHAKIN' STEVENS 740,000
                                                  08 VIENNA - ULTRAVOX 737,000
                                                  09 ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE - MICHAEL JACKSON 726,600
                                                  10 MAKING YOUR MIND UP - BUCKS FIZZ 716,800
                                                  11 BIRDIE SONG - TWEETS 714,000
                                                  12 SHADDUP YOU FACE - JOE DOLCE 708,000
                                                  13 YOU DRIVE ME CRAZY - SHAKIN' STEVENS 668,000
                                                  14 DADDY'S HOME - CLIFF RICHARD 658,000
                                                  15 GHOST TOWN - SPECIALS 648,000
                                                  16 IT'S MY PARTY - DAVE STEWART & BARBRA GASKIN 643,000
                                                  17 BEING WITH YOU - SMOKEY ROBINSON 641,000
                                                  18 HAPPY BIRTHDAY - ALTERED IMAGES 626,000 (a RB #1) -----
                                                  19 HANDS UP GIVE ME YOUR HEART - OTTAWAN 623,000 ----
                                                  20 WOMAN - JOHN LENNON 621,600
                                                  21 STARS ON 45 - STARSOUND 600,000
                                                  22 GREEN DOOR - SHAKIN' STEVENS 595,000
                                                  23 BEGIN THE BEGUINE - JULIO IGLESIAS 591,000
                                                  24 JEALOUS GUY - ROXY MUSIC 544,300
                                                  25 KIDS IN AMERICA - KIM WILDE 508,000
                                                  26 JAPANESE BOY - ANEKA 498,000 (not a RB #1)
                                                  27 CHI MAI - ENNIO MORRICONE 493,000
                                                  28 IN THE AIR TONIGHT - PHIL COLLINS 492,000 (1981 & 1988 versions)
                                                  29 ONE OF US - ABBA 484,000
                                                  30 HOOKED ON CLASSICS - RPO 483,000 (a RB #1)
                                                  31 ANT RAP - ADAM AND THE ANTS 470,000
                                                  32 HAPPY XMAS (WAR IS OVER) - JOHN LENNON & THE PLASTIC ONO BAND 465,000
                                                  33 IT MUST BE LOVE - MADNESS 461,000
                                                  34 SOUVENIR - OMD 458,000
                                                  35 CAN CAN - BAD MANNERS 456,000
                                                  36 THE HUCKLEBUCK - COAST TO COAST 390,000
                                                  37 HOLD ON TIGHT - ELO 385,000
                                                  38 MORE THAN IN LOVE - KATE ROBBINS & BEYOND 380,000
                                                  39 LOVE ACTION - HUMAN LEAGUE 378,000
                                                  40 UNDER PRESSURE - QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE 377,000
                                                  41 BODY TALK (VOCAL) - IMAGINATION 375,000
                                                  42 STARS ON 45 (VOL. 2) - STARSOUND 365,000
                                                  43 LATELY - STEVIE WONDER 360,000
                                                  44 WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE - DIANA ROSS 359,000
                                                  45 GOING BACK TO MY ROOTS - ODYSSEY 353,000
                                                  46 KINGS OF THE WILD FRONTIER - ADAM AND THE ANTS 351,000 (1980 & 1981)
                                                  47 LET'S GROOVE - EARTH WIND & FIRE 350,000
                                                  48 EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES IS MAGIC - POLICE 346,000
                                                  49 BEDSITTER - SOFT CELL 344,000
                                                  50 UNDER YOUR THUMB - GODLEY & CREME 334,000
                                                  51 HAPPY BIRTHDAY - STEVIE WONDER 328,500
                                                  52 I SURRENDER - RAINBOW 322,000
                                                  53 ENDLESS LOVE - DIANA ROSS & LIONEL RICHIE 321,000
                                                  54 PRETEND - ALVIN STARDUST 320,000
                                                  55 HOW 'BOUT US - CHAMPAIGN 318,000
                                                  56 FOUR FROM TOYAH E.P. (IT'S A MYSTERY ETC) - TOYAH 315,000
                                                  57 EINSTEIN A-GO-GO - LANDSCAPE 301,000
                                                  58 CAN YOU FEEL IT - JACKSONS 295,000
                                                  59 FAVOURITE SHIRTS - HAIRCUT 100 293,000
                                                  60 JOAN OF ARC - OMD 291,000
                                                  61 CHANT NO. 1 - SPANDAU BALLET 289,000
                                                  62 PHYSICAL - OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 286,000
                                                  63 GOOD YEAR FOR THE ROSES - ELVIS COSTELLO 274,000
                                                  64 WIRED FOR SOUND - CLIFF RICHARD 272,000
                                                  65 MEMORY - ELAINE PAIGE 270,000
                                                  66 WHEN SHE WAS MY GIRL - FOUR TOPS 262,000
                                                  67 THUNDER IN THE MOUNTAINS - TOYAH 261,000
                                                  68 GIRLS ON FILM - DURAN DURAN 259,500
                                                  69 INVISIBLE SUN - POLICE 256,000
                                                  70 LABELLED WITH LOVE - SQUEEZE 251,000
                                                  71 OPEN YOUR HEART - HUMAN LEAGUE 250,500
                                                  72 SHUT UP - MADNESS 249,200
                                                  73 TONIGHT I'M YOURS - ROD STEWART 248,000
                                                  74 ROCK 'N' ROLL - STATUS QUO 245,000
                                                  75 DANCING ON THE FLOOR - THIRD WORLD 244,800
                                                  76 RETURN OF THE LOS PALMAS 7 - MADNESS 243,000
                                                  77 BACK TO THE 60s - TIGHT FIT 242,000
                                                  78 GOOD THING GOING - SUGAR MINOTT 241,000
                                                  79 SLOW HAND - POINTER SISTERS 239,700
                                                  80 JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH - DEPECHE MODE 236,000
                                                  81 I WANT TO BE FREE - TOYAH 230,000
                                                  82 SOUTHERN FREEEZ - FREEEZ 224,000
                                                  83 IT'S A LOVE THING - WHISPERS 221,000
                                                  84 SWORDS OF A THOUSAND MEN - TENPOLE TUDOR 219,000
                                                  85 KEEP ON LOVING YOU - REO SPEEDWAGON 217,000
                                                  86 CARIBBEAN DISCO SHOW - LOBO 216,000
                                                  87 REWARD - TEARDROP EXPLODES 215,000
                                                  88 FADE TO GREY - VISAGE 214,000
                                                  89 ATTENTION TO ME - NOLANS 213,000
                                                  90 FOR YOUR EYES ONLY - SHEENA EASTON 210
                                                  91 LET'S HANG ON - BARRY MANILOW 209
                                                  92 GREY DAY - MADNESS 209
                                                  93 CHEQUERED LOVE - KIM WILDE 209
                                                  94 NEW LIFE - DEPECHE MODE 206
                                                  95 INTUITION - LINX 205
                                                  96 ST VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE E.P. (PLEASE DON'T TOUCH ETC) - MOTORHEAD/GIRLSCHOOL (HEADGIRL) 204
                                                  97 ONE IN TEN - UB40 203
                                                  98 IT'S RAINING - SHAKIN' STEVENS 202
                                                  99 RAPTURE - BLONDIE 201
                                                  100 WILL YOU - HAZEL O'CONNOR 200
                                                  101 NO WOMAN NO CRY - BOB MARLEY 200
                                                  102 YOU'LL NEVER KNOW - HI-GLOSS 199,000
                                                  103 O SUPERMAN - LAURIE ANDERSON 199,000
                                                  104 TEDDY BEAR - RED SOVINE 198,000
                                                  105 CAMBODIA - KIM WILDE 198,000
                                                  106 I AM THE BEAT - THE LOOK 197,600
                                                  107 ROMEO & JULIET - DIRE STRAITS 196,000
                                                  108 NIGHT GAMES - GRAHAM BONNET 195,000
                                                  109 DON'T STOP THE MUSIC - YARBOROUGH & PEOPLES 193,000
                                                  110 AY AY AY AY MOOSEY - MODERN ROMANCE 193,000
                                                  111 MY OWN WAY - DURAN DURAN 191,000
                                                  112 FLASHBACK - IMAGINATION 190,000

Comment

• Where are all the extra sales for Diana Ross' Why Do Fools coming from? - the total keeps increasing.

Last I saw it was 343k (supposedly including 1982 sales) which was the highest ever!!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X