Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MTV Top 20 Video Countdown (US)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Into The Groove" was never officially released as a single. Besides, with "Material Girl" overlapping "Crazy for You" a fair bit, there was enough Madonna to go around for a little while.

    I would agree about the odd omissions on the Top 300 of All Time that would show up on the MTV 500. Conversely there were some that I'd personally put on the latter as well. I do remember in Nov '91 "Centerfold" was on a "50 Most Talked About Music Videos" special (no videos were ranked).

    BTW, this just showed up for the second week of February '89:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG2Lw9n4_1U

    Living Colour moves up 3 places to #16 (Adam thanks them for hosting Mardi Gras the preceding week) and Mike + the Mechanics debut at #15.
    Last edited by azul120; Mon June 22, 2020, 23:28.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by azul120 View Post
      "Into The Groove" was never officially released as a single. Besides, with "Material Girl" overlapping "Crazy for You" a fair bit, there was enough Madonna to go around for a little while.

      I would agree about the odd omissions on the Top 300 of All Time that would show up on the MTV 500. Conversely there were some that I'd personally put on the latter as well. I do remember in Nov '91 "Centerfold" was on a "50 Most Talked About Music Videos" special (no videos were ranked).

      BTW, this just showed up for the second week of February:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG2Lw9n4_1U

      Living Colour moves up 3 places to #16 (Adam thanks them for hosting Mardi Gras the preceding week) and Mike + the Mechanics debut at #15.
      ITG was the B side to Angel which, ironically, had no music video. Technically, it’s not a real video either since it’s just a compilation of scenes from Desperately Seeking Susan like how Footloose was the same since a Kenny Loggins is not in the video.

      Comment


      • You know there's a bit of incongruency with MTV's early no non-lipsynched vid clause that left vids like the concept version of "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush off the channel. I guess Kevin Bacon's dance montage was that good of a selling point.

        BTW, I wonder by how little or how much "Infatuation" missed the year end top 20, since it had a respectable run only hurt by its first and last weeks at 20/19. Manfred Mann, the #20 video of the year I'm not seeing anywhere. Then again, it turns out Scandal had a really good run (on par with Night Ranger and "When Doves Cry" from Prince if not better) and ended up with #19.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by earthvssoup View Post

          ITG was the B side to Angel which, ironically, had no music video. Technically, it’s not a real video either since it’s just a compilation of scenes from Desperately Seeking Susan like how Footloose was the same since a Kenny Loggins is not in the video.

          I remember Madonna laying on a bed and singing in Into the Groove music video, but maybe that was from the movie?
          "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~ Bob Marley

          Comment


          • Originally posted by azul120 View Post
            You know there's a bit of incongruency with MTV's early no non-lipsynched vid clause that left vids like the concept version of "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush off the channel. I guess Kevin Bacon's dance montage was that good of a selling point.

            BTW, I wonder by how little or how much "Infatuation" missed the year end top 20, since it had a respectable run only hurt by its first and last weeks at 20/19. Manfred Mann, the #20 video of the year I'm not seeing anywhere. Then again, it turns out Scandal had a really good run (on par with Night Ranger and "When Doves Cry" from Prince if not better) and ended up with #19.

            I wonder how "Legs" ended up at #15 when it appears it only peaked at #7 while bouncing around the 10 spot for a while. It was a high ranking mainstay on future all time lists though, so I was always surprised it was so low on the year end countdown.
            "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~ Bob Marley

            Comment


            • The Peace Choir was a response to the Gulf War that premiered the day before. Weirdly enough there were a few artists who did both that and Voices that Care.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kenne View Post


                I remember Madonna laying on a bed and singing in Into the Groove music video, but maybe that was from the movie?
                True, I saw it on one of the Starz Encore channels many years ago.

                Comment


                • Are there any spreadsheet templates for music charts that also tabulate points based on chart performance? Want to do something for the top 20.

                  Comment


                  • 4/21/90: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7BZtLgZAz4&t=624s

                    Comment


                    • Thanks! I forgot to post that one when I found it.

                      Comment


                      • For the week of June 29th, 1984, I read in The Miami News that Rod Stewart went from 12 to 8 and Prince jumped 9 spots from 19, so it would look like this so far:

                        June 29, 1984:

                        01) Billy Idol - Eyes without a Face (3rd week at #1)
                        08) Rod Stewart - Infatuation
                        10) Prince and The Revolution - When Doves Cry
                        Last edited by Phoenix; Fri July 3, 2020, 13:23.

                        Comment


                        • I have a feeling Ghostbusters was #1 the missing week before "Missing You" took the top spot. (IIRC the former was run during a #1's weekend montage.)

                          ETA: Throwing in a guess that "Mercedes Boy" by Pebbles might have made it on to the chart for a week at #20 on 7/15/88 instead of "Missed Opportunity" by Hall & Oates. The former was peaking on Billboard and in heavy rotation on MTV, albeit in its last week.
                          Last edited by azul120; Wed July 8, 2020, 09:12.

                          Comment


                          • Regarding the MTV Top 300 in '91

                            Originally posted by azul120 View Post
                            Remembered the wrong classic college rock hit in the 30s haha.

                            Are you referring to Modern English? I was surprised they made it that high, as they weren't on the 80's countdown only a year and half before.
                            "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~ Bob Marley

                            Comment


                            • Yep.

                              Also, just realized something. Midlife Crisis from Faith No More, and Humpin' Around from Bobby Brown, which were back to back in mid August 92 at 11 and 10 respectively, really did both use the same sample: Car Thief from the Beastie Boys.

                              Comment


                              • Hi everyone.

                                I found this thread a week ago and decided to chip in. I am a huge fan of MTV back in the day like you guys. Im thrilled to find this and see others have the same passion.

                                I too have been looking for years for a history of the MTV countdown. I kept notes all through 1989 but unfortunately I lost it in a move. I found a few producers of the countdown shows on social media, and I am reaching out to see if they can help fill in the gaps we have.

                                I did find a formula I used in 89 to determine the best videos of the year. I remember how my countdown ended up pretty close to the one on MTV, with just a few exceptions. I will begin using that formula on the countdowns we have and publish the results. I'll start with 1990, and I hope to have it in a few days. Ultimately I'd like to include every countdown ever, but I have to find the missing weeks first.

                                Comment


                                • Welcome! Any help would be great.

                                  ETA: Do ask if they or anyone they know have access to any old issues of FMQB not already up on the worldradiohistory site. Even the ones without top 20 info. A lot of them from '87 onward include videos aired during 120 Minutes and Headbanger's Ball. (One thing I realized about the '85-'87 issues is that the interview bits seem to have been taken from the top 20.)
                                  Last edited by azul120; Sat July 18, 2020, 11:08.

                                  Comment


                                  • This clip of 7/28/90 begins with the recap from 20-11 and goes all the way to part of the #4 introduction (pre-commercial bits include LL Cool J's "I'm That Type of Guy" and GnR's "Sweet Child O' Mine" being on the chart that weekend in 89 and 88 respectively).

                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spXeQbgiuEk

                                    Comment


                                    • Here is a list of all the videos that got the 30 second treatment in 1990 to the best of my recollection:
                                      12/23/89 #2-Another Day In Paradise, #8-Living in Sin, #12-We Didn't Start The Fire, #14-Fool For Your Loving, #16-The Way That You Love Me
                                      12/30/89 #4-Another Day In Paradise, #7-Rock And A Hard Place, #13-Living In Sin, #15-We Didn't Start The Fire
                                      1/6/90 #3-Rhythm Nation, #9-Another Day In Paradise, #14-With Every Beat Of My Heart, #19-We Didn't Start The Fire (first episode with tarot card graphics)
                                      1/13/90 #7-Rhythm Nation, #9-Oh Father, #14-Another Day In Paradise, #18-Rock And A Hard Place
                                      1/20/90 #3-Free Fallin', #8-When The Night Comes, #12-Rhythm Nation, #15-Oh Father
                                      1/27/90 #5-Free Fallin', #11-When The Night Comes, #13-Kickstart My Heart, #19-Rhythm Nation
                                      2/3/90 #4-Janie's Got A Gun, #6-Free Fallin', #14-When The Night Comes, #17-Tender Lover
                                      2/10/90 #8-Janie's Got A Gun, #11-Free Fallin', #13-Just Between You And Me, #18-Love Song
                                      2/17/90 #6-Downtown Train, #10-Janie's Got A Gun, #13-I Remember You, #17-Free Fallin'
                                      2/24/90 #4-Opposites Attract, #8-Dirty Deeds, #13-Downtown Train, #16-Janie's Got A Gun
                                      3/3/90 #5-Dangerous, #8-Opposites Attract, #14-Dirty Deeds, #16-Almost Hear You Sigh
                                      3/10/90 #4-Escapade, #10-Dangerous, #12-Opposites Attract, #16-The Deeper The Love
                                      3/17/90 #5-Escapade, #12-Too Late To Say Goodbye, #15-Opposites Attract, #18-Dangerous
                                      3/24/90 #4-I Go To Extremes, #7-Roam, #13-Sometimes She Cries, #15-Price Of Love
                                      3/31/90 #6-Escapade, #11-I Go To Extremes, #14-Roam, #18-Sometimes She Cries
                                      4/7/90 #2-I Wish It Would Rain Down, #6-Black Velvet, #11-Escapade, #15-No Myth
                                      4/14/90 #6-Forever, #8-Get Up Before The Night Is Over, #15-I Wish It Would Rain Down, #19-Black Velvet
                                      4/21/90 #10-The Heart Of The Matter, #12-Forever, #14-Get Up Before The Night Is Over, #17-I'll Be Your Everything
                                      4/28/90 #3-Without You, #8-Don't Wanna Fall In Love, #15-All Around The World, #19-Forever
                                      5/5/90 #4-What It Takes, #9-Without You, #13-Don't Wanna Fall In Love, #18-The Heart Of The Matter
                                      5/12/90 #6-What It Takes, #8-This Old Heart Of Mine, #12-How Can We Be Lovers, #18-Without You
                                      5/19/90 #5-Alright, #9-What It Takes, #11-Save Me, #14-This Old Heart Of Mine
                                      5/26/90 (NBA edition) #2-All I Wanna Do..., #3-Hold On, #7-Alright, #9-Nothing Compares 2 U, #13-What It Takes, #16-Step By Step, #17-Turtle Power, #19-Getting Away With It
                                      6/2/90 #6-All I Wanna Do...,#7-Vogue, #13-Baby It's Tonight, #17-Alright
                                      6/9/90 #10-All I Wanna Do..., #12-Vogue, #14-Deadbeat Club, #17-Baby It's Tonight
                                      6/23/90 #10-Do You Remember, #13-Children Of The Night, #15-Vogue (had various celebrities saying here's video number ?)
                                      6/30/90 (Knebworth 90 edition) #5-It Must Have Been Love, #6-U Can't Touch This, #8-Hold On, #10-Come Back To Me, #14-I'll Be Your Shelter, #15-Do You Remember, #18-The Emperor's New Clothes, #19-Unskinny Bop
                                      7/7/90 #4-Step By Step, #12-U Can't Touch This, #14-Hold On, #18-Poison
                                      7/14/90 #4-Enjoy The Silence, #11-Step By Step, #13-It Must Have Been Love, #19-U Can't Touch This
                                      7/21/90 (Montreal Comedy Festival Edition) #2-Rub You The Right Way, #5-She Ain't Worth It, #7-The Power, #10-Enjoy The Silence, #14-The Emperor's New Clothes, #16-Hold On, #17-King Of Wishful Thinking, #19-Vision Of Love
                                      7/28/90 #6-Rub You The Right Way, #8-Across The River, #14-She Ain't Worth It
                                      8/4/90 #2-Come Back To Me, #11-Don't Go Away Mad #17-Rub You The Right Way
                                      8/11/90 #6-Come Back To Me, #15-Across The River, #19-Don't Go Away Mad
                                      8/18/90 #5-The Other Side, #9-Come Back To Me, #13-King Of Wishful Thinking, #19-Knocked Out
                                      8/25/90 #6-Have You Seen Her, #10-Cradle Of Love, #13-Come Back To Me, #19-The Power
                                      9/1/90 #4-Unskinny Bop, #10-Have You Seen Her, #15-The Other Side, #17-Cradle Of Love
                                      9/15/90 #4-Release Me, #8-Unskinny Bop, #13-Have You Seen Her, #15-Jerk Out
                                      9/22/90 #4-Do Me, #9-Epic, #13-Unskinny Bop, #19-Can't Stop Falling In Love
                                      9/29/90 #3-Blaze Of Glory, #13-Release Me, #15-Epic, #18-Thieves In The Temple
                                      10/6/90 #6-Blaze Of Glory, #10-Close To You, #13-Romeo, #18-Do Me
                                      10/13/90 #4-Love And Affection, #9-Policy Of Truth, #11-Blaze Of Glory, #16-L.A. Woman
                                      10/20/90 #6-Fly To The Angels, #10-Love And Affection, #12-Something Happened..., #16-Policy Of Truth
                                      10/27/90 #3-Black Cat, #7-Same Ol' Situation, #13-Cherry Pie, #18-Love And Affection
                                      11/3/90 #5-Black Cat, #11-Same Ol' Situation, #13-Suicide Blonde, #15-Fly To The Angels
                                      11/10/90 #4-Pray, #10-Black Cat, #14-Same Ol' Situation, #19-Joey
                                      11/17/90 #2-Ice Ice Baby, #6-Stranded, #11-Pray, #18-Black Cat
                                      11/24/90 (80s Edition) #4-Ice Ice Baby, #6-Groove Is In The Heart, #10-So Close, #13-Hang In Long Enough, #15-Stranded, #19-Pray
                                      12/1/90 #8-Ice Ice Baby, #10-I'm Your Baby Tonight, #14-More Than Words Can Say, #17-So Close
                                      12/8/90 #5-Something To Believe In, #11-Groove Is In The Heart, #13-Ice Ice Baby, #16-I'm Your Baby Tonight
                                      12/15/90 #8-Something To Believe In, #12-Hang In Long Enough, #14-Groove Is In The Heart, #16-One & Only Man
                                      12/29/90 #5-Impulsive, #13-Something To Believe In, #19-Freedom

                                      Comment


                                      • Ok, that's weird how they'd go 30 second on debuting videos, even bearing in mind the on-location editions having more of them.

                                        They were pretty quick to do it to former #1s too. Unless they were quickly descending, they got at least 2 more weeks of being played in their entirety. (I remember Plush by STP getting played in its entirety every week to its second to last.)

                                        So how's the pre fall '89 stuff coming along?

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by azul120 View Post
                                          Ok, that's weird how they'd go 30 second on debuting videos, even bearing in mind the on-location editions having more of them.

                                          They were pretty quick to do it to former #1s too. Unless they were quickly descending, they got at least 2 more weeks of being played in their entirety. (I remember Plush by STP getting played in its entirety every week to its second to last.)

                                          So how's the pre fall '89 stuff coming along?
                                          It happened for Phil Collins at 13 for HILE because of that reunion weekend and it’s a long video because it moved up 2 in its 3rd week. Same for the uploaded clip of Come Back To Me by Janet in only her 2nd week at number 10.

                                          Its obvious that All Apologies was played in its entirety when it fell 8 places to 13 out of respect for Kurt since it was a week after his death. His fall to 19 would be short a week later and on Adam Curry’s last show and VJ moment on MTV.
                                          Last edited by earthvssoup; Tue July 21, 2020, 17:43.

                                          Comment


                                          • I don’t think Smells Like Teen Spirit ever received the treatment. Also, Black or White by MJ never did either.

                                            BTW, from when to when was the show syndicated, and did any videos from Columbia or Epic top the chart during that period? I remember they lacked the clearances to play even a second of their vids.

                                            Comment


                                            • Smells Like Teen Spirit did get the 30 second treatment the week of 2/8/92 along with 7 other videos, This was another NBA special with Downtown Julie Brown and it was the last time the tarot card graphics were used. The thing I often wondered is that I remember the week of 6/2/90 where Nothing Compares 2 U got played in full while falling from 9 to 19. Also the week of 9/15/90, Tonight fell from 6 to 17 and also got played in full while other videos with smaller drops got the treatment. Both videos were given the title of "Plunge Of The Week." I don't necessarily think they always use length of the video as a factor. Videos like Cradle of Love and November Rain were quite long and both videos had a slow decent and only got the treatment the last 2 weeks. I often wondered about the week of 10/9/88 where only 2 videos got the treatment, yet many of the videos that week were over 5 minutes long and why couldn't they use "When It's Love" for the recap song? Another thing I loved about that era was the guitar solos often played while they did recaps. I know more than once they used Kickstart My Heart, Faith No More's "Epic", and Queensryche's "Empire." I know some songs there was no solo to use for videos 20 & 10, so they use 19 or 9, and occasionally 18 or 8. I'll try and list the videos I can remember for the 30 second treatment for 1991 and the first half of 1992 soon. After that my memory gets fuzzy and some of the episodes I never saw so I have no memory at all.

                                              Comment


                                              • From what I've read among user comments on YT '89 is when they started doing more 30 sec. treatments.

                                                "Top of the World" was played in full when it plunged to #17.

                                                The "recap music rule" was also in play since '91 when they started using recent background music during VJ bits. Mostly instrumental/solo bits, no vocals that are easily looped.

                                                I remember "You're Invited But Your Friend Can't Come" was used as recap music when it was at #13 (!) in mid-June 92. IIRC, it was either that or the following week that would be the last for recaps as we knew them. But as if to make up for it, pre-commercial flashback lists now covered the statistics (peak position or weeks at #1, total weeks on the chart) for vids that debuted or hit #1.

                                                They replaced the stat details with some random one liner late July. (Example: In '94 flashing back to Divinyls peaking at #9 with I Touch Myself: "No further comment from the Top 20 Countdown.") Plus, while the debut/peak position details tended to be accurate, the dates were off. (They flashed back to Breaking the Girl's #3 peak a month early in late September '93, a year after it was #14.)

                                                The one edition that had the most 30 second bits was mid-August '94 over at Woodstock (aired only once, live IIRC), where the most notable thing was the vids played in full: #20: "Always In My Heart", #18: "Nuttin' but Love", #17: "Love Is Strong", #15: "When Will I See You Again", #11: "I'll Make Love to You", #5: "Funkdafied", #1: "Black Hole Sun". In total, 13 vids given the treatment.

                                                Random unwritten rule I noticed: starting in the fall of '92, either #18 or #19 would be a falling video, albeit with exceptions here and there, all but set in stone in late Feb. '94. This had the effect of either giving a falling video outside of the top 10 a final respite before falling off the chart, or forcing a massive plunge from the mid-to-upper reaches of the top 10.

                                                Regarding the syndication bit, the show was syndicated from 4/86 to 6/87. I wonder if that had anything to do with no vids from Columbia/Epic acts reaching the top. (Bangles peaked at #3 with "Walk Like an Egyptian".)

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by MRSHORTWHITEGUY View Post
                                                  Smells Like Teen Spirit did get the 30 second treatment the week of 2/8/92 along with 7 other videos, This was another NBA special with Downtown Julie Brown and it was the last time the tarot card graphics were used. The thing I often wondered is that I remember the week of 6/2/90 where Nothing Compares 2 U got played in full while falling from 9 to 19. Also the week of 9/15/90, Tonight fell from 6 to 17 and also got played in full while other videos with smaller drops got the treatment. Both videos were given the title of "Plunge Of The Week." I don't necessarily think they always use length of the video as a factor. Videos like Cradle of Love and November Rain were quite long and both videos had a slow decent and only got the treatment the last 2 weeks. I often wondered about the week of 10/9/88 where only 2 videos got the treatment, yet many of the videos that week were over 5 minutes long and why couldn't they use "When It's Love" for the recap song? Another thing I loved about that era was the guitar solos often played while they did recaps. I know more than once they used Kickstart My Heart, Faith No More's "Epic", and Queensryche's "Empire." I know some songs there was no solo to use for videos 20 & 10, so they use 19 or 9, and occasionally 18 or 8. I'll try and list the videos I can remember for the 30 second treatment for 1991 and the first half of 1992 soon. After that my memory gets fuzzy and some of the episodes I never saw so I have no memory at all.
                                                  I remember Mama I’m Coming Home getting the short treatment when it was the biggest leap of the weak at 12 jumping 6 places because of all that basketball coverage.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by azul120 View Post
                                                    From what I've read among user comments on YT '89 is when they started doing more 30 sec. treatments.

                                                    "Top of the World" was played in full when it plunged to #17.

                                                    The "recap music rule" was also in play since '91 when they started using recent background music during VJ bits. Mostly instrumental/solo bits, no vocals that are easily looped.

                                                    I remember "You're Invited But Your Friend Can't Come" was used as recap music when it was at #13 (!) in mid-June 92. IIRC, it was either that or the following week that would be the last for recaps as we knew them. But as if to make up for it, pre-commercial flashback lists now covered the statistics (peak position or weeks at #1, total weeks on the chart) for vids that debuted or hit #1.

                                                    They replaced the stat details with some random one liner late July. (Example: In '94 flashing back to Divinyls peaking at #9 with I Touch Myself: "No further comment from the Top 20 Countdown.") Plus, while the debut/peak position details tended to be accurate, the dates were off. (They flashed back to Breaking the Girl's #3 peak a month early in late September '93, a year after it was #14.)

                                                    The one edition that had the most 30 second bits was mid-August '94 over at Woodstock (aired only once, live IIRC), where the most notable thing was the vids played in full: #20: "Always In My Heart", #18: "Nuttin' but Love", #17: "Love Is Strong", #15: "When Will I See You Again", #11: "I'll Make Love to You", #5: "Funkdafied", #1: "Black Hole Sun". In total, 13 vids given the treatment.

                                                    Random unwritten rule I noticed: starting in the fall of '92, either #18 or #19 would be a falling video, albeit with exceptions here and there, all but set in stone in late Feb. '94. This had the effect of either giving a falling video outside of the top 10 a final respite before falling off the chart, or forcing a massive plunge from the mid-to-upper reaches of the top 10.

                                                    Regarding the syndication bit, the show was syndicated from 4/86 to 6/87. I wonder if that had anything to do with no vids from Columbia/Epic acts reaching the top. (Bangles peaked at #3 with "Walk Like an Egyptian".)
                                                    To be fair with Top Of The World, it was after a week with no chart which explains the bigger than usual drops for that and Don’t Cry by GnR. There are 2 times in the mid 90s to the end I can think of where 19 or 18 weren’t drops. It was in the first week of April 1996 where Salvation and Count On Me were debuts and Just a Girl moved a spot to 18. 17 would be the drop for Santa Monica. The other was September 97 with Spice Girls at 17 with 2 Become 1. Rascal King, Got Til It’s Gone and Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See were 20-18.

                                                    It would also be rare if two big drops in 20-11 were back to back. Pretending/Oh Father for 90 at 16 and 15, Someday/Wicked Game at 16 and 15 for 91, Don’t Walk Away/If I Ever Lose My Faith In You for 93 at 19 and 8 and Hitchin A Ride/Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See for 97 at 15 and 14.
                                                    Last edited by earthvssoup; Wed July 22, 2020, 17:15.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X