HITS #1: Sales/SPS Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadingLight
    Disappointed by these numbers, because it's easily her best album in ten years. I don't get some comments here (probably without even listening to it).
    Probably? Most certainly!!!
    "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• I don't know why people are always expecting something better than Rol or lap every single time.
      It's like artist always top themselves with every release.
      I'm glad that she's still making contemporary pop music, better than most of the stars of today and not making cover albums or duets albums and cashing in on greatest hits tours.
      Yes, the last 2 albums didn't click with me, but this one it's one of her best in years, maybe better than confessions even.

Comment

• I can't at people who look at what Drake, Taylor and 2 more acts are able to sell and hold everyone against them, as if 99% of all albums are flopping. It would be fairer and certainly more realistic to call those huge albums by Drake & Co Blockbusters and other albums which don't sell like that, but still healthy numbers, good successes.
        My Chart

Comment

• Through the eyes of the GP, did prince ever topped purple rain or Michael Jackson topped thriller, or Bruce Springsteen topped born in the USA and listened list continues

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaMale
            Through the eyes of the GP, did prince ever topped purple rain or Michael Jackson topped thriller, or Bruce Springsteen topped born in the USA and listened list continues

i say it again, in most cases popularity decides on what becomes a blockbuster and what not. RH is solid and I love it from start to finish. I love that it has some serious songs for serious moments and some fun tracks when you feel young and vibrant and are abt to go to a party or listen to it while being at a party.. but I truly believe that for huge legends like Madonna and her contemporaries it is so very hard to score huge eras due to the fact that they have scored half a dozen of those (each) over the past 30 years that people are simply saturated by them.

Back in the 1980's and 1990's the world stopped when one of the huge legends released a new album and everyone jumped at the first 5 singles.. lol. Now, popularity rules. The newer and fresher you are in the business the better you will do.

If there wasn't this natural decline in popularity, nobody would drop off their initial prime and peak. That would be unnatural. Nowadays, we can only hope for our faves to even release a new album and that we can enjoy it. Sadly, John does not enjoy RH, but he certainly cherishes her previous work and Madonna will certainly hold a special place in his heart forever. Even I survived Memoirs by Mariah, so everything is possible.
            My Chart

Comment

• Of course, and alsoa lot of people who was a Madonna fan back in the 80's and 90s grew up and started to listen to other types of musiC. Also people that grew up and are fans or casual fans don't rush to buy her records anymore and after two eras chasing the young crowd, these people are not going to buy the new Madonna record.
              I think that's why she's promoting so mmuch.
              Damage control and show that this album has something for everyone

Comment

• In Madonna's thread, I said somewhere around 100K

People refuse to allow realism to go beyond their stanism and fanaticism (a la T94). It's okay though cause, with NO hit, and little promotion, this is doing quite well. It's not 20 years ago both in industry health and her relevance.

The crazy thing is I think it's almost a certainty that Empire will get the #1 with ALL the buzz surrounding last night's show, MJB & JHud's appearance, the performances on American Idol tonight and the HYPE of the 2 hour season finale next week. It's almost guaranteed to me.

Still, good numbers for Madge and Empire.
                I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Comment

Through the eyes of the GP, did prince ever topped purple rain or Michael Jackson topped thriller, or Bruce Springsteen topped born in the USA and listened list continues
                  To answer your question, no.

They're some of the best albums of that decade for pop music.

Comment

• I think Empire will take this one, it has huge buzz, everyone is raving about it. I love Madonna but from the moment her demos leaked, it took a huge toll on her sales. I also think she should do something organic next time. "Living for Love" was amazing, she should do more songs where she doesn't rely too much on the production and vocal effects.

Comment

• Madonna really has one of the most hardcore fan bases EVER!!!

Her first album came out before many of us were even born, and she can still open with 115-125,000 without a hit!!!

Among women (with the exception of Barbara Streisand) no one else is doing that!!!!

I love Mariah more, but Madonna is a BEAST
                      Beyonce / Destiny's Child Artists of the Decade.

115 Million Records Sold
                      13 US & UK #1 Singles
                      16 Grammy Awards

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfSpear
                        Originally posted by AlphaMale
                        To answer your question, no.

They're some of the best albums of that decade for pop music.
                        Well, my point was, do they have to top those releases everytime they release an new album?
                        Or just keep on giving us good music is enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by danbarj
                          In Madonna's thread, I said somewhere around 100K

People refuse to allow realism to go beyond their stanism and fanaticism (a la T94). It's okay though cause, with NO hit, and little promotion, this is doing quite well. It's not 20 years ago both in industry health and her relevance.

The crazy thing is I think it's almost a certainty that Empire will get the #1 with ALL the buzz surrounding last night's show, MJB & JHud's appearance, the performances on American Idol tonight and the HYPE of the 2 hour season finale next week. It's almost guaranteed to me.

Still, good numbers for Madge and Empire.
                          You were not the only one, around 50 people answered the "poll" and the most of us were predicting something in the 150/170k!
                          I predicted 170k with the bundle, wich seems it's not going to work in full for this week!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hotness
                            Madonna really has one of the most hardcore fan bases EVER!!!

Her first album came out before many of us were even born, and she can still open with 115-125,000 without a hit!!!

Among women (with the exception of Barbara Streisand) no one else is doing that!!!!

Not to shade a legend like Barbra, but her last effort was a star studded album, only duets with big stars!

Comment

• ^ But didn't her album before that did quite well too? I remember it snatching the #1 over Mariah and Paramore during its debut week back in 09.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cless
                                ^ But didn't her album before that did quite well too? I remember it snatching the #1 over Mariah and Paramore during its debut week back in 09.
                                Oh yes it was Streisand's record ninth #1 album on the Billboard 200 opening with 180,000 copies.

Comment

Originally posted by FadingLight
                                  Disappointed by these numbers, because it's easily her best album in ten years. I don't get some comments here (probably without even listening to it).
                                  Probably? Most certainly!!!
                                  I've heard the whole thing. It's not what I'm feeling at all. Waaaaaayyy too overly processed and way too much reliance on auto-tune and pitch correctness and the production feels very fast food pop, very much why I quit listening to pop music a few years ago. Plus, her voice lacks the personality it used to have as if she's just singing it without any heart into it. I miss the Madonna that had something of an edge and was the one leading the pack, not singing crap that Katy Perry wouldn't agree to. She keeps working with producers and guest stars that she thinks will make her big with teens and it's obviously not working.

I'm not expecting another album that competes with LAP or ROL, but I loved EVERYTHING between Madonna through Confessions, I'd at least want something that belongs with those albums as opposed to the album that follows MDNA, which was the album that put me in the "do I want another album like this?" mode, and this is what we got. When I consider that there was nothing on MDNA that held up even six months later for me, I didn't bother supporting this one.
                                  My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hotness
                                    Madonna really has one of the most hardcore fan bases EVER!!!

That sounds like she's exceeding all kinds of expectations... Let's be honest, it's rather the other way around. And Madonna is known as Queen of Pop, it's clear that expectations in her are higher than in most of her colleagues.
                                    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• I think this looks disappointing because MDNA opened with 350k. While GMAYL was a top 10 single, it hardly was a song that set the world on fire and was off the chart in a matter of weeks and the song had already run its course when MDNA came out, yet that one sold 350k even though the single was already finished and it'd been nearly two months after the Super Boel boost... although I think that opening was inflated thanks to the ticket package while this one doesn't have that luxury boosting its opening. MDNA lost a lot of second/third/fourth/fifth week sales because people rushed out day one so they could get the concert tickets, so maybe Rebel Heart's chart descent won't be as rapid as MDNA which was off the top 200 in nine weeks.

Comment

• http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=295038

YOUR TOP 15: EMPIRE VS. THE EMPRESS

It Looks Like a Battle for the Top Spot on our Sales Plus Streaming (SPS) Chart

Yesterday's iTunes outages are affecting the forecasts for next week, with wonderers wondering how many consumers either resorted to physical retail during the store's downtime or simply lost the impulse to buy. In any case, it could still be a battle for #1 as our margin of error today is somewhat greater due to the aformentioned outages. Empire still gets the edge. Here’s what we think headed into the weekend:

*Empire Soundtrack (Twentieth Century Fox/Columbia) 110-120k (90-95k sales)
                                        *Madonna (Live Nation/Interscope) 110-120k (105-115k sales)
                                        *Luke Bryan (Capitol Nashville) 100-110k (90-95k sales)
                                        Fifty Shades of Grey (Republic) 65-70k (35-40k sales)
                                        Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 65-70k (35-40k sales)
                                        Drake (YMCMB/Republic) 50-55k (25-28k sales)
                                        Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 50-55k (25-28k sales)
                                        Sam Smith (Capitol) 50-55k (30-35k sales)
                                        Maroon 5 (222/Interscope) 40-45k (14-17k sales)
                                        Big Sean (G.O.O.D/Def Jam) 35-40k (18-21k sales)
                                        Kelly Clarkson (RCA) 35-40k (24-27k sales)
                                        Meghan Trainor (Epic) 35-40k (20-23k sales)
                                        Nicki Minaj (YMCMB/Republic) 27-30k (9-11k sales)
                                        Hozier (Columbia) 27-30k (12-15k sales)
                                        Imagine Dragons (KidinaKorner/Interscope) 25-28k (19-22k sales)

*Debuts

Comment

• Bad prediction, i guess she will lose

Comment

• I don't think so!!!

Comment

• Let's not underestimate Luke Bryan too, I think he's a huge country star as well!

Comment

• This is nerve wrecking

Comment

• The good thing is, if this fails to go #1, she may ditch the trendy producers and autotune and everything and go back to the drawing boards and have to work harder on the next album to reclaim her throne.... just like how she went into a more "fun" direction because the failure of American Life made her afraid of experimenting and making serious music. So this might be a good thing. As poorly as MDNA was received, it still opened with over 350k and was a #1. I really believe we never would've had Hard Candy and MDNA if American Life had been as well-received as Music was.

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
                                                    The good thing is, if this fails to go #1, she may ditch the trendy producers and autotune and everything and go back to the drawing boards and have to work harder on the next album to reclaim her throne.... just like how she went into a more "fun" direction because the failure of American Life made her afraid of experimenting and making serious music. So this might be a good thing. As poorly as MDNA was received, it still opened with over 350k and was a #1. I really believe we never would've had Hard Candy and MDNA if American Life had been as well-received as Music was.
                                                    I think it's already the natural decline she's experiencing. It's not the producers she should change, it's the music itself. I think this album suffers from way too overly processed production, so many effects here and there. I think since Music, there's a heavy amount of production tricks used and it's not gaining fans to buy her albums any more. She needs to change it up by being more organic next time, EDM and dance pop has been overly saturated everywhere, she needs to come back harder with something more experimental.

Comment

• This would be Maroon Five's 9th week outside the sales T10 but in the BB200 T10.

The most anyone else has is 4.

Comment

The good thing is, if this fails to go #1, she may ditch the trendy producers and autotune and everything and go back to the drawing boards and have to work harder on the next album to reclaim her throne.... just like how she went into a more "fun" direction because the failure of American Life made her afraid of experimenting and making serious music. So this might be a good thing. As poorly as MDNA was received, it still opened with over 350k and was a #1. I really believe we never would've had Hard Candy and MDNA if American Life had been as well-received as Music was.
                                                        We get it - you don't like anything Madonna has done for the past decade. She's going to continue to make the music that she wants to make, and peaking at #2 slightly behind a cultural phenomenon isn't going to determine the direction she takes on her next album. "Rebel Heart" is full of "serious music" (whatever that is). It deserves to be heard by as many people as possible. Ultimately, it looks like the new chart rules regarding streaming will stop her from reaching the top spot (i.e. she'll have the highest selling album of the week, but people streaming various tracks from the "Empire" soundtrack will push it past Madonna in overall chart points.

Comment

• @Carta: It's not like she was losing No. 1 to a big act (= e.g. a regular studio release by Taylor Swift or Luke Bryan), but an album predicted to only pull an 110-120k opening. So it was rather has to do with Madonna's weakness than with the No. 1's strength that she has to settle for a No. 2 placement. Cultural phenomenon not so much...
                                                          Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Madonna's numbers are really good.She would've done a healthy 150k+ if not for all the numerous leaks...Making the best out of an awful situation (leak) is what's characterised this era so far.

Comment

MDNA only debuted at #1 because the did the album redemptions for the whole tour in the debut week.

They are spreading the album redemptions out like Cher did with her last album.

AND, the album leaked in full 6 weeks ago!

Comment

Working...
                                                              X