-- 49 LIL DICKY
    PROFESSIONAL RAPPER
    CMSN 8,795 --
    -- 50 X AMBASSADORS
    VHS
    KIDINAKORNER/INTERSCOPE 8,714 --

Comment

• Originally posted by Battosai
      Everything you say was making sense until mid 00s. The point that you need to consider is that there is no more albums and singles in Streaming world, there is playlists only. This evolution as all others before will take time to fully impact consumers habits, but while albums still keep some relevance today, this will be less and less true as time goes by.

You refer to the album chart being dead. This is only a reflection of real life evolution, while in the 90s people listenning to personal music were mostly listenning in an album logic, this isn't true anymore. And about artists over 30 being deflated by this album chart, I would rather say they have been largely inflated during last 10 years when only real sales were considered. If you chart Billboard chart histories, old artists never performed as well as in 2005-2014 mostly because they were benefitting from a dead market and charts were making them way bigger than they really are. Just have a look at album charts from the 70s or the 80s to see if there was many 30+ artists in the album chart.

At the end of the day albums or singles do not matter - they never did. It is an industry matter and only ROI / Gross / Benefits are concerning majors as it should be the case, and, for that matter, TEA have always been way more relevant than a chart reflecting only a part of the overall picture.

I'm not saying new BB methodology is perfect, I do prefer OCC one in UK, but your arguments are not valid as per 2015 consumers habits.
      Okay, kids don't care for albums.... then it shows the album charts don't matter to kids. Like said, kids taste in music is reflected on the hot 100. But then again, artists like Taylor and One Direction do in fact sell albums, so the argument is moot about why the rules had to change just because an artist like Ariana can't rope in interest for a full album even though she's had so much money poured into making her happen that she was expected to be as big as Taylor. The difference is that I actually know adults who like Taylor, I've never met anyone who can name an Ariana song, she's not part of our zeitgeist. Miley sold albums, Taylor sold albums... Ariana doesn't. Big whoop-dee-doo. Jessica Simpson and Mandy Moore never sold albums the way Britney and Christina did in the TRL era despite huge marketing pushes to make them mega-stars as well.

The hot 100 has always been skewed in favor of younger artists, because that's what top 40 embraces. So I don't see why older acts and artists who don't whore themselves out to top 40 crossover can't have the ALBUMS chart. You do realize this argument could've been had 40 years ago as well, where you had artists like The Osmonds who were huge singles acts whereas artists like Zeppelin, Floyd (well, they did have one #1 single in 1980 with a song that was the poppiest they ever got, but besides that, their singles history doesn't at all represent their general popularity) and other acts who weren't necessarily burning up the singles chart but sold tons of albums. Look at "Back In Black", sold over 20 million in the US, both singles peaked in the mid-30s on the hot 100. Yet AC/DC in 2015 can sell tickets and even albums in ways people who were singles superstars back then could only dream of. ALBUM and SINGLE artists aren't always going to be the same, they never were to be truthful. Albums have always been for artists people take more seriously and trust 10-14 tracks from, whereas singles artists make a good 3-4 minute song and most people don't feel much more invested in them than that. Was the case in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and is still the case in 2015. That Ariana Grande can only reach gold with multiple #1 singles today is no different than 25 years ago when Taylor Dayne, Roxette or Expose could score multiple consecutive top 10 records including #1 singles and yet their albums still weren't mass sellers nor went top 10. Same story, different players. People loved their singles and bought the singles, but not quite as many people raced to buy the album.

Even in the 90s you had bands like Pearl Jam who were massive album sellers but not necessarily the biggest act on top 40 radio. So by your logic, a one hit wonder novelty like Los Del Rio should've had higher chart positions on the ALBUM CHART because of the popularity of one song? The kids have the album charts, kids care about singles... adults care about albums. Why are 12 year olds who don't care about albums supposed to be coddled when they have their singles chart? And it didn't just start ten years ago... I can name many "older artists" who sold albums in the 70s, 80s and 90s and had success on the album charts even though their core audience weren't tweens. The people buying Paul Simon's Graceland in 1987 weren't the people listening to Debbie Gibson, the same people buying Eagles' Hell Freezes Over in 1994 weren't the people listening to Boyz II Men or Ace Of Base, those buying Santana's Supernatural in 1999 weren't generally those buying Backstreet and N'Sync records, etc.... Believe it or not, there's a whole world of music listeners who aren't 12 and don't give two craps about Ariana Grande or artists of that ilk.

And a perfect example to show the discrepancy between album sales and single sales... Mark Ronson's Uptown Special. Uptown Funk is one of the biggest hits of the past 2-3 years, the album barely sold 100,000 copies. Before we talk about it being about streaming and all, none of the other tracks on the album had much of a chart impact and yet the album had a much stronger-than-deserved chart run simply because of one song. People liked the song, not the album (I actually did like the album, but just stating an obvious point). Why should the album benefit from one songs' popularity when people obviously aren't listening to the other 11 tracks? Kids preferred singles to albums in the 70s and we didn't change the rules just so Donny Osmond could have #1 albums that he wasn't worthy of having. SCREW THE KIDS AND TOP 40 MUSIC/TWEEN APPEAL IS NOT THE BE ALL, END ALL.
      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

I'm not saying new BB methodology is perfect, I do prefer OCC one in UK, but your arguments are not valid as per 2015 consumers habits.
        There's a huge difference between the two methodologies though, the UK albums chart includes streaming of albums, while the US albums chart includes sales and streaming of individual songs (= singles), which doesn't make any sense...

Comment

• NEW RELEASES: JANET HEADED FOR #1
          Barring any “sneak attack” superstar releases, BMG’s returning icon Janet Jackson should easily claim the #1 spot on both the HITS sales and SPS charts next Friday with her new set, Unbreakable. Here’s what we have for Janet and the week’s other key debut, Tamar Braxton’s Calling All Lovers.

Janet Jackson (BMG) 90-105k albums, 93-108k SPS
          Tamar Braxton (Epic) 38-43k, 42-47k

Unbreakable reunites Jackson with producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, with whom she created her most enduring albums, and features guest spots from J. Cole and Missy Elliott. These are, of course, very preliminary numbers. Look for updates on these and other new releases on Monday.

Comment

• go Janet, hit 100k

Comment

• Very good numbers! But perhaps arguably more important - she's set for the #1!

Comment

• So happy for my Janet. I can cry.
                Diva!!!

Comment

• OMG,now promote bish and let's have some longevity....this is a great start

Comment

• There is a part of me that thinks if this hits #1 then she spreads the promo out a bit she might have a really successful era. This is not without it's own set of risks. Maybe something indirect to promote the album.... like they've been doing.

Comment

• Most albums fall 75% in their 2 week. This will sell ~25k next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                        So happy for my Janet. I can cry.
                        Me too!!! I'm so emotional!
                        I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Comment

• Tamar is done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiderpig
                            Originally posted by Battosai
                            There's a huge difference between the two methodologies though, the UK albums chart includes streaming of albums, while the US albums chart includes sales and streaming of individual songs (= singles), which doesn't make any sense...
                            Yes, that's a big difference if people are actually listening to the album tracks as opposed to a Mark Ronson or Walk The Moon scenario where the chart runs were inflated because audiences love one song that they went on itunes and bought. A big big difference between an album like 1989 which is a bonafide blockbuster vs. a weak-selling album that has one smash hit single and the album chart run is on steroids compared to what its actually moving simply because of a blockbuster single. *Real* superstars still move albums.... Taylor, One Direction, Sam Smith, Katy, etc... those who have hit singles and struggle to reach gold have always existed... today it's Ariana, Flo Rida, Jason DeRulo, there were big singles acts 20-30-40 years ago whose album sales never quite equalled the popularity of their singles and rules weren't changed to accommodate them to "reflect the true popularity" of a Sheena Easton (who had smash duets with Kenny Rogers and Prince and had a number of hits throughout the 80s including a Bond theme and a #1 single, yet had only one platinum album and never went higher than #15 on the album charts) or Bananarama like the rules have been changed to coddle the fact that Ariana Grande is to Taylor what Mandy Moore was to Britney

Also glad to see Janet likely having a #1.... this is her best in god knows how long and the critical reception is stronger than she's seen in 15 years

Comment

• Good on Janet for snatching that #1, she definitely deserves more credit than she is given (I'm looking at you RnR HoF ).
                              Originally posted by beredy
                              When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                                Very good numbers! But perhaps arguably more important - she's set for the #1!
                                yes,im so happy

Comment

Everything you say was making sense until mid 00s. The point that you need to consider is that there is no more albums and singles in Streaming world, there is playlists only. This evolution as all others before will take time to fully impact consumers habits, but while albums still keep some relevance today, this will be less and less true as time goes by.

You refer to the album chart being dead. This is only a reflection of real life evolution, while in the 90s people listenning to personal music were mostly listenning in an album logic, this isn't true anymore. And about artists over 30 being deflated by this album chart, I would rather say they have been largely inflated during last 10 years when only real sales were considered. If you chart Billboard chart histories, old artists never performed as well as in 2005-2014 mostly because they were benefitting from a dead market and charts were making them way bigger than they really are. Just have a look at album charts from the 70s or the 80s to see if there was many 30+ artists in the album chart.

At the end of the day albums or singles do not matter - they never did. It is an industry matter and only ROI / Gross / Benefits are concerning majors as it should be the case, and, for that matter, TEA have always been way more relevant than a chart reflecting only a part of the overall picture.
                                  All of this make sense ... from a music company point of view, not from an artist point of view.
                                  Albums have always been the main tool to build a long term career, not singles. Albums is the only way to retain and increase your fanbase, consistent albums sales will also enable you to increase your touring and merchandising revenues on the long term.

All of these streaming stars are probably making some money but will be forgotten very quickly and replaced by other streaming young stars ... so neutral for the music company, but for the artist that's another story. How many artists have released hit singles these last 5-10 years and have disapeared ? a lot

Comment

• Healthy numbers for Janet.

Regarding the streaming debate, I'm totally pro OCC/British system and against that double-counting track sales Billboard rubbish.
                                    2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Originally posted by john2000
                                      Originally posted by Battosai

All of this make sense ... from a music company point of view, not from an artist point of view.
                                      Albums have always been the main tool to build a long term career, not singles. Albums is the only way to retain and increase your fanbase, consistent albums sales will also enable you to increase your touring and merchandising revenues on the long term.

All of these streaming stars are probably making some money but will be forgotten very quickly and replaced by other streaming young stars ... so neutral for the music company, but for the artist that's another story. How many artists have released hit singles these last 5-10 years and have disapeared ? a lot
                                      Totally... There has always been a discrepancy between album and singles artists. The acts like Taylor, Beyonce, Katy, Sam Smith, Maroon 5, etc... who can sell albums AND have huge hit singles don't mean all artists have to be both. Every single era of music has had artists who sell big albums but don't cross over to the singles charts for some reason (like they aren't making music that sounds exactly like what top 40 plays, too old, etc...) and you have artists with big hit singles whose album sales don't necessarily reflect how popular the single is because people like your song, they don't care enough for a whole album. I mean, ABBA is one of the most loved pop bands of all time, they never had a top 10 album in the US (plus the majority of their album sales in the US have been in the past 20 or so years when they were re-evaluated as one of the greatest pop acts of all time) even though Dancing Queen was a #1 smash and they had a few other top 10 songs.... people bought the 45... it wasn't until years later when nostalgia kicked in when people took a look back and began to rate ABBA higher than they did when they were active. No different than any other pop star who has a 4x selling single and an album that sold 300k.

And touring stats say it all.... very few "singles acts" who can't sell enough albums to reach gold make a killing on touring... whereas artists who sell well on albums also see a windfall through touring. The latter are acts people feel invested in enough to spend money on.... if you don't like an artist enough to spend $10 on their album or bother streaming the other 11 tracks off the album, why would they spent $50, 75, 100, 150+++ to see you in concert? And before we talk about how albums are for old people who don't stream... explain One Direction or even 5 Seconds Of Summer (whose sales have been really healthy considering they've never really had a smash hit)? Those aren't selling to 30 year old hipsters who love vinyl.

Comment

• wow, I would never expect Janet to hit another #1 album in her life. Not that I am not happy with that, well done!
                                        KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Let's not forget that she has that tickets bundle thing, so that could explain high first week

Comment

• Does anyone know if Janet's numbers include the sold copies via her website for the tour exclusive?
                                            I dont think that they are included in this 90-100k, so I hope they will add an additional boost.

I think Tamar did a great job as well. I mean, yes she's all over TV. But she didn't promote the album except two live performances on 2 daytime shows.
                                            I'm glad that people are aware of the fact that she has a new album out.
                                            Throwin' shade cause I'm paid, laid and I'm curvy...

Comment

• UPDATED NEW RELEASES: JANET HEADED FOR #1
                                              Barring any “sneak attack” superstar releases, BMG’s returning icon Janet Jackson should easily claim the #1 spot on both the HITS sales and SPS charts this Friday with her new set, Unbreakable. Here’s what we have for Janet and the week’s other key debut, Tamar Braxton’s Calling All Lovers.

Janet Jackson (BMG) 100-110k albums, 103-113k SPS
                                              Tamar Braxton (Epic) 35-40k, 39-44k
                                              Clutch (Weathermaker) 19-22k, 20-23k
                                              Sevendust (7Bros) 18-21k, 19-22k
                                              Trivium (Roadrunner) 14-17k, 15-18k
                                              Avicii (Island) 11-14k, 14-17k
                                              Collective Soul (Vanguard) 11-14k, 12-15k
                                              Winery Dogs (Loud & Proud) 8-10k, 8-10k
                                              Eagles of Death Metal (UMe) 8-10k, 8-10k
                                              Queensryche (Century Media) 8-10k, 8-10k

Unbreakable reunites Jackson with producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, with whom she created her most enduring albums, and features guest spots from J. Cole and Missy Elliott. These are, of course, very preliminary numbers. Look for updates on these and other new releases on Monday.

Comment

• Awful numbers for Avicii, but i'm not surprised...

Comment

• So Unbreakable will do in week one what Me.I.Am did in its entire run? Very impressed considering Janet's been away from the scene for a very long time and her last three albums were all huge underperformers and I don't think anyone was expecting her to do this well considering her days on radio are long gone (as evidenced by small SPS sales, when Janet used to be as much a singles blockbuster act as Taylor is today) and 7 1/2 years is like an eternity in the world of pop music.

Glad she's doing so well, nobody seriously believes she'll ever been one of the biggest hitmakers again, but given the state of her career the past 12 or so years, this is well beyond what anyone expected, and it's a wonderful return to form album for her after a few mediocre efforts. This album was a make or break album for whether she'd become a beloved elder statesartist ala Madonna, Springsteen, McCartney, Stones, Prince, U2 (nevermind the last album) and a few others who are going to remain superstars until the day they die and don't even need hit albums anymore, but they still command respect and can still come back now and then with a solid album..... or put her in a Pat Benatar, Olivia Newton-John, Diana Ross league where they were once major superstars but enough mediocre failed albums in a row eventually took them out of the game and they tour casinos and nobody cares if they make new music. She wisely worked her ass off and this should effectively cement her as one of the legends.

Comment

• ^^^ I do agree!
                                                    I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
                                                      So Unbreakable will do in week one what Me.I.Am did in its entire run? Very impressed considering Janet's been away from the scene for a very long time and her last three albums were all huge underperformers and I don't think anyone was expecting her to do this well considering her days on radio are long gone (as evidenced by small SPS sales, when Janet used to be as much a singles blockbuster act as Taylor is today) and 7 1/2 years is like an eternity in the world of pop music.

Glad she's doing so well, nobody seriously believes she'll ever been one of the biggest hitmakers again, but given the state of her career the past 12 or so years, this is well beyond what anyone expected, and it's a wonderful return to form album for her after a few mediocre efforts. This album was a make or break album for whether she'd become a beloved elder statesartist ala Madonna, Springsteen, McCartney, Stones, Prince, U2 (nevermind the last album) and a few others who are going to remain superstars until the day they die and don't even need hit albums anymore, but they still command respect and can still come back now and then with a solid album..... or put her in a Pat Benatar, Olivia Newton-John, Diana Ross league where they were once major superstars but enough mediocre failed albums in a row eventually took them out of the game and they tour casinos and nobody cares if they make new music. She wisely worked her ass off and this should effectively cement her as one of the legends.
                                                      I think the same should be said for Prince!

Comment

• Well, Prince's last album was a mess.... but he didn't incite the wrath of every itunes user the way U2 did

Prince was in the sort of situation Janet was in in the late 90s/early 2000s, he had a bunch of poorly received flop albums in a row and I think it had actually harmed his legacy and even his tours weren't selling out anymore. He knew around the time of Musicology that this was his make or break moment to either put out something decent and cement his legacy or do another mediocre album and fade into the world of once-great artists. He chose the former, the tour was his biggest ever and it revived him as a "legacy artist" similar to Springsteen or something. His last album was a poorly produced mess but when he books a show in your town, you see just how crazy people get. He came here in March and the first show was sold out in 90 seconds, I was so ticked off... he had to add four shows total (luckily I made it to the second one) just to fill the demand. He's in that legacy artist teritory now and it doesn't matter what he releases now, he's cemented.... U2 are the same way, that album pissed the entire internet off and was their poorest received album ever (though I will argue there's some really good songs on the album), but yet as soon as they announced the tour, tickets still sold like crazy. I think with this album's reception, Janet's officially moved herself into legend territory. Acts like Janet, Madonna, U2, Springsteen, Prince, McCartney, Stevie Wonder, etc... are past the stage of making hits, but as long as they come out with a decent album every now and then and tour, they're fine for the rest of their days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike
                                                          Awful numbers for Avicii, but i'm not surprised...
                                                          OMG But I feel like he didn't chase a worldwide hit like with "Wake Me Up" two years ago... So this translates into album sales of course... Crazy though that he might sell more in Germany than in the US.
                                                          2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Good for Janft

Comment

• BTW Great for Janet !

I was expecting a slayer rebounce I gues not :-?

Let´s see if the in rock and roll hall of fame induction becomes reality
                                                              But that's the way I like it baby I don't want to live forever
                                                              and don't forget the joker

Comment

Working...
                                                              X