Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HITS #1: Sales/SPS Updates

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Go Sam, I want a #1 album!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Timmy94
      Originally posted by hugo
      Carey would've been #1 if she had released her album this week, but then again her sales would probably be lower.
      She can be happy that she didn't, a No. 1 album dropping out of the top 10 in week 2 never looks good.
      I don't think she'd give a **** about that

      A #1 is a #1
      "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

      Comment


      • Originally posted by hugo
        Originally posted by Timmy94
        Originally posted by hugo
        Carey would've been #1 if she had released her album this week, but then again her sales would probably be lower.
        She can be happy that she didn't, a No. 1 album dropping out of the top 10 in week 2 never looks good.
        I don't think she'd give a **** about that

        A #1 is a #1
        Agree, that's the stat that people will see in years to come, adding to how many she's had or anyones had, not that it fell out so quickly. I'd rather have a No.1 that fell to No.12 the following week, than a No.3 that falls to No.9.

        Comment


        • You are in the minority when it comes to such assumptions though. People always remember the way an album reached No. 1, if it took very long to do so, experienced a big sales/positional drop in week 2 or only reached it due to a stragetic move.

          Only labels try to profit from it by labeling it as a No. 1 album, even if it freefalls in the nowhere afterwards. Too bad there's no copyright on the expression "hit album" either...
          Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

          Say no to streaming!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Timmy94
            You are in the minority when it comes to such assumptions though. People always remember the way an album reached No. 1, if it took very long to do so, experienced a big sales/positional drop in week 2 or only reached it due to a stragetic move.

            Only labels try to profit from it by labeling it as a No. 1 album, even if it freefalls in the nowhere afterwards. Too bad there's no copyright on the expression "hit album" either...
            No they don't, do you remember how Led Zeppelin II reached No.1 in the US, no, you just remember or know that it was a No.1. Nobody cares or remembers how a No.1 album got there, unless it is like a Hysteria in the US or Rumours in the UK and even then, ask most people and they probably do not even know this or care.

            Labels are probably not even that interested in the chart position, they are more interested in their profit margins and constant sales.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by thebigham
              HITS is just using the New Release Schedule that a major label puts out with first week estimations.

              I used to get it, but not anymore.
              HITS has become weird as of lately, haven't they?
              "Crime is increasing
              Trigger happy policing..."
              -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

              Comment


              • Originally posted by floria
                Go Sam, I want a #1 album!
                +1 I want him to join Adam Lambert in that openly LGBT male performer list of having a #1 album. ;) Frank Ocean missed that opportunity too.
                "Crime is increasing
                Trigger happy policing..."
                -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                Comment


                • jimmypages59, there are albums which are always going to be labelled to a certain event though, like the 99 cent discount of Born This Way or the rare 2nd week sales increase of Justin Bieber's My Worlds (due to Easter).
                  Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

                  Say no to streaming!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Timmy94
                    jimmypages59, there are albums which are always going to be labelled to a certain event though, like the 99 cent discount of Born This Way or the rare 2nd week sales increase of Justin Bieber's My Worlds (due to Easter).
                    Yes, maybe nowadays to a certain extent, but historically nobody really cares, a No.1 is a No.1. I don't even care about BTW, to me it got to No.1 and that's all that matters, record labels have been trying any old gimmick since forever, to get something to sell as much as it can or get to No.1, these 99c things are just yet another method.

                    People always remember the way an album reached No. 1, if it took very long to do so, experienced a big sales/positional drop in week 2 or only reached it due to a stragetic move
                    I still disagree with this, do you remember as I said how Led Zeppelin II got to No.1 in the US or how Iron Maidens Number of the Beast got to No.1 in the UK, no you don't, these things get forgotten or become irrelevant as time passes, but what stays eternal is that they got to No.1.

                    Comment


                    • http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

                      YOUR NEW RELEASES: Sia should debut at #1 next week with around 50k. Here are this week’s key debuts:

                      Sia (Monkeypuzzle/RCA) 47-52k
                      Judas Priest (Epic) 25-28k
                      Dirty Heads (Five Seven) 20-23k
                      Mike Stud (Electric Feel) 14-16k
                      (7/9a)

                      Comment


                      • 50k/Less than 50k for a #1 in US. Even Shreeran will probably sell over 50k in UK (5 times smaller market). It's summer, ok, but it doesn't explain horrible overall sales. Won;t be surprised if total sales drop below 4mln next week.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by arab
                          50k/Less than 50k for a #1 in US. Even Shreeran will probably sell over 50k in UK (5 times smaller market). It's summer, ok, but it doesn't explain horrible overall sales. Won;t be surprised if total sales drop below 4mln next week.
                          July has become a traditionally slow month for new releases. That's why the other albums came out in May-June because of hype and attention. July seems to be a month when sales are at its coolest.

                          My new predictions:
                          Sia (50K)
                          Sam (45K)
                          Frozen (40K)
                          Ed (35K)
                          Trey (30K)
                          Judas Priest (25K)
                          Dirty Heads (23K)
                          Miranda (21K)
                          Lana (20K)
                          "Crime is increasing
                          Trigger happy policing..."
                          -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by arab
                            50k/Less than 50k for a #1 in US. Even Shreeran will probably sell over 50k in UK (5 times smaller market). It's summer, ok, but it doesn't explain horrible overall sales. Won;t be surprised if total sales drop below 4mln next week.
                            Sheeran sold 180K during the first week in the UK

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Timmy94
                              Sia predicted to reach No. 1 in the US? With sales of around 50k?

                              Hopefully this isn't going to happen. I really hope Frozen or Sam Smith's record make it to No. 1 with sales of at least 60k. Because there are a few dangerous marks, 40k, which is the all-time low, a record that's hopefully never going to be broken, 60k and then again 100k. The problem with an album debuting at No. 1 with low sales is that its chart run is going to be so bad, in such a case it's really better if an album that's already out for some time is going to do so. With sales above 60k of course (even if sales above 100k is always better but that's the minimum that HAS to be achieved, everything else is like a torture for us chart analysts).
                              Well it's possible that someday, streaming will create bigger revenues than physical sales, and then might be the point when streaming will be part of the album charts, if it will develop worldwide like it did in the Nordics. However, I think that CDs will always play at least a small part of the album charts. The amount of hardcore music fans that buy a CD of their fave will always be big enough to be accounted for album charts.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by keks
                                Originally posted by Timmy94
                                Sia predicted to reach No. 1 in the US? With sales of around 50k?

                                Hopefully this isn't going to happen. I really hope Frozen or Sam Smith's record make it to No. 1 with sales of at least 60k. Because there are a few dangerous marks, 40k, which is the all-time low, a record that's hopefully never going to be broken, 60k and then again 100k. The problem with an album debuting at No. 1 with low sales is that its chart run is going to be so bad, in such a case it's really better if an album that's already out for some time is going to do so. With sales above 60k of course (even if sales above 100k is always better but that's the minimum that HAS to be achieved, everything else is like a torture for us chart analysts).
                                Well it's possible that someday, streaming will create bigger revenues than physical sales, and then might be the point when streaming will be part of the album charts, if it will develop worldwide like it did in the Nordics. However, I think that CDs will always play at least a small part of the album charts. The amount of hardcore music fans that buy a CD of their fave will always be big enough to be accounted for album charts.
                                Until we see sales decreases here during Q4, don't count on streams being counted anytime soon...
                                "Crime is increasing
                                Trigger happy policing..."
                                -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Lioha
                                  Originally posted by arab
                                  50k/Less than 50k for a #1 in US. Even Shreeran will probably sell over 50k in UK (5 times smaller market). It's summer, ok, but it doesn't explain horrible overall sales. Won;t be surprised if total sales drop below 4mln next week.
                                  Sheeran sold 180K during the first week in the UK
                                  I'm talking about current week sales

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by BadMan125
                                    Originally posted by keks
                                    Originally posted by Timmy94
                                    Sia predicted to reach No. 1 in the US? With sales of around 50k?

                                    Hopefully this isn't going to happen. I really hope Frozen or Sam Smith's record make it to No. 1 with sales of at least 60k. Because there are a few dangerous marks, 40k, which is the all-time low, a record that's hopefully never going to be broken, 60k and then again 100k. The problem with an album debuting at No. 1 with low sales is that its chart run is going to be so bad, in such a case it's really better if an album that's already out for some time is going to do so. With sales above 60k of course (even if sales above 100k is always better but that's the minimum that HAS to be achieved, everything else is like a torture for us chart analysts).
                                    Well it's possible that someday, streaming will create bigger revenues than physical sales, and then might be the point when streaming will be part of the album charts, if it will develop worldwide like it did in the Nordics. However, I think that CDs will always play at least a small part of the album charts. The amount of hardcore music fans that buy a CD of their fave will always be big enough to be accounted for album charts.
                                    Until we see sales decreases here during Q4, don't count on streams being counted anytime soon...
                                    That's why I said "someday" ;)

                                    Comment


                                    • I know. But it depends on when. ;)
                                      "Crime is increasing
                                      Trigger happy policing..."
                                      -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                                      Comment


                                      • Great for Priest !!

                                        30 K at the end!!!!

                                        Metal GodS
                                        But that's the way I like it baby I don't want to live forever
                                        and don't forget the joker

                                        Comment


                                        • Fail at Sia's sales :x ! I mean, of course it's a great result for her but not for the market...

                                          Too bad that no album is strong enough to prevent the unpreventable, if at least Frozen was getting a final push to sell a little more than 60k (in the way Adele's 21 had its final week at No. 1 with another sales push to 77 (?)k) or Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran... It's wrong that we have no strong album at the moment to make it through slow sales periods.
                                          Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

                                          Say no to streaming!

                                          Comment


                                          • well bad for the market maybe but the album is again absolutely amazing. so ... i'm rooting for it.
                                            My Chart

                                            Comment


                                            • In a year or two the #1 album could sell 20k, how depressing. Streaming really has killed off what was left.

                                              Comment


                                              • Y'all are too dramatic sometimes...
                                                "Crime is increasing
                                                Trigger happy policing..."
                                                -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by Timmy94
                                                  Fail at Sia's sales :x ! I mean, of course it's a great result for her but not for the market...

                                                  Too bad that no album is strong enough to prevent the unpreventable, if at least Frozen was getting a final push to sell a little more than 60k (in the way Adele's 21 had its final week at No. 1 with another sales push to 77 (?)k) or Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran... It's wrong that we have no strong album at the moment to make it through slow sales periods.
                                                  What you don't get is that EVEN if an album surpassed Sia and debuted with, let's say, 100K, it would not change ANYTHING about the market. The market is still dismal. Period. Stop with it. You want a snapshot of the market. Look at the Top 200, not what is sitting at the top. It's at the top for a reason.

                                                  Anyways, congrats Sia (if it happens)!!! I hope she pulls it through over Frozen, Sam and Ed. Even if it is with 47K.
                                                  I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

                                                  Comment


                                                  • mmmmmmm, alot of people complaining for sales, I think 50 K is excellent !! considering the way the market have moved during 2014. But I wouldn´t mind if AC/DC brings the skies on fire again (just like black ice did in 2008)
                                                    But that's the way I like it baby I don't want to live forever
                                                    and don't forget the joker

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by abdon
                                                      mmmmmmm, alot of people complaining for sales, I think 50 K is excellent !! considering the way the market have moved during 2014. But I wouldn´t mind if AC/DC brings the skies on fire again (just like black ice did in 2008)
                                                      Her sales are great! This is analysis:

                                                      1. Her last album sold 11K
                                                      2. It is July
                                                      3. Her song has 23 million AI. Not an airplay hit (yet) by any means.
                                                      4. As a LEAD artist she is virtually unknown in the US.
                                                      I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by danbarj
                                                        Originally posted by abdon
                                                        mmmmmmm, alot of people complaining for sales, I think 50 K is excellent !! considering the way the market have moved during 2014. But I wouldn´t mind if AC/DC brings the skies on fire again (just like black ice did in 2008)
                                                        Her sales are great! This is analysis:

                                                        1. Her last album sold 11K
                                                        2. It is July
                                                        3. Her song has 23 million AI. Not an airplay hit (yet) by any means.
                                                        4. As a LEAD artist she is virtually unknown in the US.

                                                        Ohh is a female singer!!! now I understand!! but 11 to 50 K is an improvement, and honestly she is very unknow, never heard of her before.

                                                        let´s see how this week goes hopefully Judas top 10!!
                                                        But that's the way I like it baby I don't want to live forever
                                                        and don't forget the joker

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by jrnleblanc
                                                          In a year or two the #1 album could sell 20k, how depressing. Streaming really has killed off what was left.
                                                          That won't happen.

                                                          Originally posted by BadMan125
                                                          Y'all are too dramatic sometimes...
                                                          +1

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by floria
                                                            Originally posted by jrnleblanc
                                                            In a year or two the #1 album could sell 20k, how depressing. Streaming really has killed off what was left.
                                                            That won't happen.

                                                            Originally posted by BadMan125
                                                            Y'all are too dramatic sometimes...
                                                            +1
                                                            No one would've guessed that a #1 would sell 50k in the US 7 or 8 years ago, so 20k for #1 is going to happen. Unless they start adding full album streaming.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by arab
                                                              Originally posted by Lioha
                                                              Originally posted by arab
                                                              50k/Less than 50k for a #1 in US. Even Shreeran will probably sell over 50k in UK (5 times smaller market). It's summer, ok, but it doesn't explain horrible overall sales. Won;t be surprised if total sales drop below 4mln next week.
                                                              Sheeran sold 180K during the first week in the UK
                                                              I'm talking about current week sales
                                                              Why are you talking about it?

                                                              Comment

                                                              Working...
                                                              X