Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by danbarj
    Originally posted by abdon
    mmmmmmm, alot of people complaining for sales, I think 50 K is excellent !! considering the way the market have moved during 2014. But I wouldn´t mind if AC/DC brings the skies on fire again (just like black ice did in 2008)
    Her sales are great! This is analysis:

1. Her last album sold 11K
    2. It is July
    3. Her song has 23 million AI. Not an airplay hit (yet) by any means.
    4. As a LEAD artist she is virtually unknown in the US.
    5. She's 38, thus for teenagers (who are main music buyers) she's unknown auntie from Australia

I really don't get all these moans here about how tragic her first #1 is
    Who would've imagine just six months ago that Sia would have #1 album and first-week sales of 50K?
    And now all these pathetic statements about all the unfairness of the world and (for the umpteenth time) about the terminal state of music industry.
    Get real!

Comment

• ^^^Tell them the truth! I am loving the sense being displayed.
      I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Comment

• I agree with those who say "big deal it's 50K" and even if it becomes more than that, whatever. This is a slow month. I just tell folks get used to it. Sia did great for someone who's almost 40, is starting to make a name for herself after numerous albums and singles, and is just starting to enjoy musical success on her own in the United States. Save the moaning for the Mariahs, Robins and Jennifers that can't barely do half of what they used to do.
        "Crime is increasing
        Trigger happy policing..."
        -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Comment

What you don't get is that EVEN if an album surpassed Sia and debuted with, let's say, 100K, it would not change ANYTHING about the market. The market is still dismal. Period. Stop with it. You want a snapshot of the market. Look at the Top 200, not what is sitting at the top. It's at the top for a reason.

Anyways, congrats Sia (if it happens)!!! I hope she pulls it through over Frozen, Sam and Ed. Even if it is with 47K.
          + 1000!!!

It's like when people said Adele was saving the market. She wasn't doing anything of the sort, she was "saving" (if anything) her label and her career (not that they needed it). The market, meanwhile, is declining happily as before.

If we hadn't had Frozen, we'd have had a #1 album selling 29k. That's what it is. "Accidental" hit albums make the chart look prettier, but that's all they do.

Fantastic result for Sia!

Comment

• Exactly! I love how you phrased it though: "Accidental" hit albums. We can't determine the charts. They determine themselves based on consumer habits. And, at the same time, it NEVER takes away from the accomplishment of any given week.

If Sia is #1, she is #1. Period. I sometimes wish we had a lower selling #1... JUST to shut some mouths up.

Anyways, Sia is doing great. I am proud of her. I do hope she hits the top end of the prediction, or even exceeds it.
            I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Comment

Exactly! I love how you phrased it though: "Accidental" hit albums. We can't determine the charts. They determine themselves based on consumer habits. And, at the same time, it NEVER takes away from the accomplishment of any given week.

If Sia is #1, she is #1. Period. I sometimes wish we had a lower selling #1... JUST to shut some mouths up.

Anyways, Sia is doing great. I am proud of her. I do hope she hits the top end of the prediction, or even exceeds it.
              +1 Absolutely, I also liked your other comment about the dismal market of today (as a whole).

Sometimes this forum reads like "Reasons for flop pulled out of someone's behind" threads instead of "Chart analysis".

Comment

• HITS upped it a little to 48-53K for Sia.

But hey it's a #1.

I'm more excited about #2 though! VERY STABLE, SAM! That album, Frozen, Miranda and Brantley seem to be the most stable this week (and maybe Coldplay too).

YOUR TOP 15: As expected, Sia (provocatively pictured at right) will score her first #1 album on next week's chart. Here's how it looks headed into the weekend:

*Sia (Monkeypuzzle/RCA) 48-53k
                Sam Smith (Capitol) 40-45k
                Frozen (Walt Disney) 35-40k
                Trey Songz (Atlantic) 30-35k
                Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 30-35k
                *Judas Priest (Epic) 28-32k
                *Dirty Heads (Five Seven) 21-24k
                Miranda Lambert (RCA Nashville) 19-22k
                Now 50 (NOW) 18-21k
                Lana Del Rey (Interscope) 17-20k
                Brantley Gilbert (Valory) 15-18k
                *Mike Stud (Electric Feel) 14-16k
                Magic! (Latium/RCA) 13-15k
                *Jacob Whitesides (Jacob Whitesides) 13-15k
                Coldplay (Parlophone) 13-15k

*Debuts

Sam Smith is looking strong in his third week. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Jacob Whitesides is a YouTube wunderkind whose EP, which has made noise at iTunes over the last few days, features a number of cover tunes, including a version of Smith’s “Stay With Me.” (7/10p)
                "Crime is increasing

Comment

• Originally posted by BadMan125
                  Sam Smith is looking strong in his third week.
                  It's his 4th charting week. It would be amazing to see him scoring a 3rd week at No. 2 ... Of course a new peak would be even greater though .
                  Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• AGREE Danbarj!

I love how Rihanna pulled a #1 in Uk with just 8K something sales and nobody made it such a huge deal partly because it was Rihanna partly because it made Bionic's #1 week look like a smash and apart from all that everybody saw that you can have 250k or 8k at #1 so there is no need to invent "important marks" etc.

Comment

• You're wrong when you say that people didn't make a big deal out of Rihanna's week at No. 1 with sales of less than 10k, of course it was a big topic at that time. Bionic wasn't the album with the lowest sales at No. 1 anyway, it was the album which had the lowest opening sales at No. 1. It was a pity that Bionic reached No. 1 because it dropped into irrelevance afterwards having no longevity at all, barely going silver with opening sales of 25k. It was sad that it was Rihanna who broke that unlucky record, but at least it enabled her album to return to No. 1 (more than) 40 weeks after its release. And although it sold 8k copies at No. 1, it ended up selling more than 1 mio. copies in the end. That's of course better than a Bionic-esque case. An interesting case was Taylor Swift's Speak Now in the US: It was able to debut with sales of more than 1 mio. copies in the US, of course at No. 1, and spent another week at No. 1 with sales little above 50k. In such a case, both highs and lows are associated with Speak Now, but even though we would've rather wanted to skip that last week with dire sales, it still meant another week at No. 1, the best-selling album of that one particular week, theoretically any other album could've outdone it but didn't. Those important marks still exist though, it's 40k/60k/100k for the No. 1 album in the US and 20k for the No. 10 album. It used to be 8k for the No. 50 album and 3k for the No. 200 album. You could say that it's 5k and 2k for the latter two now. Those marks exist in other countries as well, like 10k for the No. 1 album in France or 20k in Germany. If you want to, you could find other important marks.
                      Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• @Play - You are so right. There has never been an important mark. "Any given chart" reflects that week just like, in football, "any given Sunday" determines a win. It's about that week. Not what happened the other 51. Whatever the number, if I'm on TOP, I'm on TOP. If I am in the top 10 or 20, I am in the top 10 or 20. People can speculate with reasons out of their ass about why (oh it was a slow sales week, oh there is no competition, of this and that) but the market and consumer habits are the ONLY things that determine charts. And where you land is where you land.

No real rhyme or reason. There are an unlimited amount of factors that affect album performance. It is what it is.

What I do know is that in "a slow month" as we consider July, Sia will have the #1 album while facing several albums which are competing with it. Albeit in her first week... but she's also the ONLY one projected in the top 5 that does not have a current single with over 50 million AI, an established history of selling (Trey Songz) or a soundtrack. So, her sales are impressive for what is counted.

Comment

• And this is why we call this "chart analysis". ;)

I don't see why some just don't get this. It's not only a slow month but there's not too many big established acts charting right now. Look at some of the people on the list! One's someone who got notoriety from YouTube for crying out loud.

I don't know why it's confusing for some people who are confused by why some albums debut with smaller sales at #1. If you're #1, you're #1. That's all that matters.
                          "Crime is increasing

Comment

• ^^^DITTO!!!

Comment

• Now you are taking it a bit too easy, BadMan125. Even if big established acts released their albums at the moment, they'd most likely flop, because that's what happens with most established acts lately. The ones with the biggest chance to sell well are acts with rising profiles or phenomenons, so Ed Sheeran, the Frozen soundtrack or Sam Smith with sales near the 100k mark (which isn't much, we aren't talking about unachievable things). I haven't had a look at the songs currently charting high but their parent albums could be contenders as well. Some acts profit from slow sales periods and the greater attention they get, so little promotion can already end up with a great result on the Albums Chart. Acts could rebound and eventually make it back to the top, just like Rihanna's Talk That Talk in the UK (only with better sales obviously). Ridiculous acts happen all the time, that's not a sign of overall sales, better be happy that you aren't from Europe, we experienced animated ringtone figures owning the charts with catchy but embarrassing songs AND albums.

No. 1 isn't automatically No. 1, it depends on the entire context, at least when it comes to albums. See Amos Lee or Cake...

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• No. 1 is no. 1, regardless of context. Slow, busy or whatever, the top is the top! Period.

Comment

• And to make further comparison, least it ain't 40K like Amos Lee's album did three years ago... So over 50K is a better opener.

You make it harder on yourself, Timmy.
                                  "Crime is increasing

Comment

• BadMan.

If this was the 5 year deceased (55 year old?) MJ getting a #1 album with less than 50,000, at any time of the year, I don't think you would be singing the same song as you are with Sia. Would you?

It's funny how some people's perceptions change, depending on their prejudices/likes.

Me? I've never heard of Sia. So, good luck to him with his #1 album.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano
                                      it's HER you music ignorant!!
                                      KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by jszmiles
                                        Originally posted by Deano
                                        Oooooops!

Honestly never heard of her. Has she ever had a hit in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by jszmiles
                                          Oooooops!

She's the singer on David Guetta's Titanium.

Comment

• That's great news! IMO 50k is HUGE for Sia
                                            Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Excellent ! for Judas PriesT!!!

Am I the only one roaring for them???
                                              But that's the way I like it baby I don't want to live forever
                                              and don't forget the joker

Comment

Oooooops!

5 top-10 hits:
                                                2000 - Taken for Granted - #10
                                                2011 - Titanium (David Guetta featuring Sia) - #1
                                                2011 - Wild Ones (Flo Rida featuring Sia) - #4
                                                2012 - She Wolf (Falling to Pieces) (David Guetta featuring Sia) - #8
                                                2014 - Chandelier - #6

Comment

• go sia, sis. smash them all and grab your first ever US #1 album. she is such a wonderful artist and deserves this so much.

most artists this year won't, and let me repeat WON'T sell 300,000 copies with new material in the US. The new reality. Some need to face it asap.

50k is massively great for sia because it marks a huge return to prominence and is testimony of an massively increased popularity and impact in general. She came from nothing. She did have a loyal following - yes the underground crowd that actually knows that she's a SHE and that she had albums out for over a decade now.

50k is not bad FOR the market it reflects the market, it makes evident what is often disguised. The American albums market has crumbled. It's already shot and now ppl have to open their eyes and see it's bleeding out and dying right in front of our eyes. This has been a long process, starting by 1999 with the advent of Napster (which I loved back in the day). As the internet progressed and fought its way into most people's living rooms and bedrooms, offices and workplaces, mobile phones and tablets, it changed the world's perception of what music is and what it means to us, what we are willing to invest to own music and how we discover and consume it. The CD is on the verge of being phased out, the download - its successor - is on the brink to lose its half-decade-old dominance tp streaming. What is left?

Angry business people, desperate labels and a media, as bitter and trolling as ever, jumping at fading popularity and sales as if the history of music sales didn't happen in the way I just described.

Charts-Analysts - or should I say stans of this or that artist - to match the UKmix brand of the self-proclaimed "profession" look at things thru glasses, and those glasses are preferably formed of a layer of perception affected by a cloud of prefabricated judgments. Not all are like this, but many. And they only see the surface and judge everything from the surface instead of looking into things deeper.

I'm extremely happy for sia. It'll be by far her biggest selling first week and naturally this means that it will debut at #1.
                                                  My Chart

Comment

Oooooops!

*facepalm*

Yes, she has five hit songs there.
                                                    "Crime is increasing

Comment

• Originally posted by Play
                                                      I love how Rihanna pulled a #1 in Uk with just 8K something sales and nobody made it such a huge deal partly because it was Rihanna partly because it made Bionic's #1 week look like a smash and apart from all that everybody saw that you can have 250k or 8k at #1 so there is no need to invent "important marks" etc.
                                                      You know how to put things into context though, right? You are mentioning a debut #1 week of an album that probably failed to reach 100K in the end and compare it with an extra week at #1 8 months after the initial release of an album that ended up selling past 1 million. You know all that, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy
                                                        go sia, sis. smash them all and grab your first ever US #1 album. she is such a wonderful artist and deserves this so much.

most artists this year won't, and let me repeat WON'T sell 300,000 copies with new material in the US. The new reality. Some need to face it asap.

50k is massively great for sia because it marks a huge return to prominence and is testimony of an massively increased popularity and impact in general. She came from nothing. She did have a loyal following - yes the underground crowd that actually knows that she's a SHE and that she had albums out for over a decade now.

50k is not bad FOR the market it reflects the market, it makes evident what is often disguised. The American albums market has crumbled. It's already shot and now ppl have to open their eyes and see it's bleeding out and dying right in front of our eyes. This has been a long process, starting by 1999 with the advent of Napster (which I loved back in the day). As the internet progressed and fought its way into most people's living rooms and bedrooms, offices and workplaces, mobile phones and tablets, it changed the world's perception of what music is and what it means to us, what we are willing to invest to own music and how we discover and consume it. The CD is on the verge of being phased out, the download - its successor - is on the brink to lose its half-decade-old dominance tp streaming. What is left?

Angry business people, desperate labels and a media, as bitter and trolling as ever, jumping at fading popularity and sales as if the history of music sales didn't happen in the way I just described.

Charts-Analysts - or should I say stans of this or that artist - to match the UKmix brand of the self-proclaimed "profession" look at things thru glasses, and those glasses are preferably formed of a layer of perception affected by a cloud of prefabricated judgments. Not all are like this, but many. And they only see the surface and judge everything from the surface instead of looking into things deeper.

I'm extremely happy for sia. It'll be by far her biggest selling first week and naturally this means that it will debut at #1.
                                                        I don't usually quote long post as I find it rather irritating but I must quote this whole piece because it spoke so much truth!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ECE
                                                          Originally posted by Play
                                                          You know how to put things into context though, right? You are mentioning a debut #1 week of an album that probably failed to reach 100K in the end and compare it with an extra week at #1 8 months after the initial release of an album that ended up selling past 1 million. You know all that, right?
                                                          ECE of course I do, what's wrong with pointing it out tho?

Comment

• ONE year ago:

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/archcht.cgi?cht557

CHART DATE: 07/15/2013

-- 1 JAY Z ROC-A-FELLA/ROC NATION 528,208 --
                                                            MAGNA CARTA... HOLY GRAIL
                                                            -- 2 CIARA EPIC 57,515 --
                                                            CIARA
                                                            1 3 J. COLE ROC NATION/COLUMBIA 38,718 -31%
                                                            BORN SINNER
                                                            5 4 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE REPUBLIC NASHVILLE 33,331 +8%
                                                            HERE'S TO THE GOOD TIMES
                                                            4 5 IMAGINE DRAGONS KIDINAKORNER/INTERSCOPE 33,242 0%
                                                            NIGHT VISIONS
                                                            3 6 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/DEF JAM/IDJ 28,701 -29%
                                                            YEEZUS
                                                            2 7 WALE ATLANTIC 27,113 -45%
                                                            THE GIFTED
                                                            -- 8 SKYLAR GREY KIDINAKORNER/INTERSCOPE 24,253 --
                                                            DON'T LOOK DOWN
                                                            7 9 DAFT PUNK COLUMBIA 22,940 -18%
                                                            RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES
                                                            8 10 MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS MACKLEMORE 22,600 -5%
                                                            HEIST

Comment

• CHART DATE: 07/14/2014
                                                              LAST UPDATE: 07/14/2014 11:05:39
                                                              NOW IN: 38.22%

LW TW artist / album label sales index
                                                              -- 1 SIA MONKEY PUZZLE/RCA 32,617
                                                              1000 FORMS OF FEAR
                                                              -- 2 JUDAS PRIEST EPIC 15,828
                                                              REDEEMER OF SOULS
                                                              10 3 NOW 50 NOW 11,131
                                                              VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                                              12 4 BRANTLEY GILBERT VALORY 10,905
                                                              JUST AS I AM
                                                              4 5 FROZEN WALT DISNEY 10,603
                                                              SOUNDTRACK
                                                              7 6 MIRANDA LAMBERT RCA NASHVILLE 9,479
                                                              PLATINUM
                                                              -- 7 CROSBY STILLS NASH & YOUNG RHINO 7,039
                                                              CSNY 1974
                                                              2 8 ED SHEERAN ATLANTIC 6,378
                                                              X
                                                              11 9 COLT FORD AVERAGE JOE'S 5,782
                                                              THANKS FOR LISTENING
                                                              1 10 TREY SONGZ ATLANTIC 5,660
                                                              TRIGGA
                                                              24 11 NOW COUNTRY 7 NOW 5,560
                                                              VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                                              3 12 SAM SMITH CAPITOL 5,351
                                                              IN THE LONELY HOUR
                                                              5 13 SEETHER BICYCLE MUSIC/CONCORD 4,963
                                                              ISOLATE & MEDICATE
                                                              21 14 MICHAEL JACKSON EPIC 4,848
                                                              XSCAPE
                                                              20 15 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 4,621
                                                              CRASH MY PARTY
                                                              25 16 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE REPUBLIC NASHVILLE 4,014
                                                              HERE'S TO THE GOOD TIMES
                                                              18 17 JERSEY BOYS RHINO 3,662
                                                              SOUNDTRACK
                                                              19 18 LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 3,580
                                                              HUNTING PARTY
                                                              32 19 LORDE REPUBLIC 3,415
                                                              PURE HEROINE
                                                              8 20 LANA DEL REY INTERSCOPE 2,923
                                                              ULTRAVIOLENCE
                                                              33 21 FRANKIE VALLI & THE FOUR SEASONS RHINO 2,790
                                                              THE VERY BEST OF
                                                              30 22 PHARRELL WILLIAMS COLUMBIA 2,773
                                                              G I R L
                                                              16 23 JACK WHITE THIRD MAN/COLUMBIA 2,680
                                                              LAZARETTO
                                                              9 24 ROBIN THICKE STAR TRAK/INTERSCOPE 2,545
                                                              PAULA
                                                              37 25 ERIC CHURCH EMI NASHVILLE 2,476
                                                              THE OUTSIDERS
                                                              39 26 JOHN LEGEND COLUMBIA 2,342
                                                              LOVE IN THE FUTURE
                                                              -- 27 DIRTY HEADS FIVE SEVEN 2,337
                                                              SOUND OF CHANGE
                                                              14 28 COLDPLAY PARLOPHONE 2,336
                                                              GHOST STORIES
                                                              -- 29 NOW 49 NOW 2,260
                                                              VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                                              34 30 KATY PERRY CAPITOL 2,120
                                                              PRISM
                                                              42 31 LED ZEPPELIN RHINO 2,040
                                                              LED ZEPPELIN
                                                              -- 32 RASCAL FLATTS BIG MACHINE 2,034
                                                              REWIND
                                                              -- 33 DIERKS BENTLEY EMI NASHVILLE 1,846
                                                              RISER
                                                              -- 34 NEIL DIAMOND CAPITOL 1,838
                                                              ALL TIME GREATEST HITS
                                                              46 35 LED ZEPPELIN RHINO 1,811
                                                              LED ZEPPELIN II
                                                              27 36 JENNI RIVERA FONOVISA 1,730
                                                              1969 - SIEMPRE, PART 2
                                                              50 37 LED ZEPPELIN RHINO 1,724
                                                              LED ZEPPELIN III
                                                              -- 38 WILLIE NELSON LEGACY 1,722
                                                              BAND OF BROTHERS
                                                              29 39 MASTODON WARNER BROS. 1,711
                                                              ONE MORE ROUND THE SUN
                                                              -- 40 KIDZ BOP KIDS RAZOR & TIE 1,649
                                                              KIDZ BOP 25
                                                              -- 41 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 1,597
                                                              BASED ON A TRUE STORY
                                                              17 42 IGGY AZALEA GRAND HUSTLE/DEF JAM 1,595
                                                              NEW CLASSIC
                                                              36 43 ONEREPUBLIC INTERSCOPE 1,523
                                                              NATIVE
                                                              -- 44 PHILLIP PHILLIPS 19/INTERSCOPE 1,448
                                                              BEHIND THE LIGHT
                                                              -- 45 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER CAPITOL 1,424
                                                              SHE LOOKS SO PERFECT - EP
                                                              -- 46 JENNIFER LOPEZ CAPITOL 1,388
                                                              A.K.A.
                                                              -- 47 BRUNO MARS ATLANTIC 1,344
                                                              UNORTHODOX JUKEBOX
                                                              41 48 IMAGINE DRAGONS KIDINAKORNER/INTERSCOPE 1,247
                                                              NIGHT VISIONS
                                                              44 49 JASON DERULO WARNER BROS. 1,188
                                                              TALK DIRTY
                                                              28 50 THE FAULT IN OUR STARS ATLANTIC 1,147
                                                              SOUNDTRACK

Comment

Working...
                                                              X