No announcement yet.

HITS #1: Sales/SPS Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very surprised, but pleasantly so, to see such high numbers for Lana! I wouldn't have predicted anything north of 100K, to be honest.
    UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [080-076]
    "Your Billboard Top Ten" Game: All-Time Top Scorers Countdown: [#3 revealed!]

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Her first album opened with 77k when she had nowhere near the kind of exposure or fanbase that she has now, so I would say anything under 130-140k would have been a big surprise, don't know how anyone could expect below-100k

Comment

• ^ Yet in the UK Ultraviolence is likely to sell just slightly over half what Born to Die did in its first week. You can't always be too sure, honestly.

I would rather say her exposure was BIGGER at the time, but that might just be me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nackar
          ^ Yet in the UK Ultraviolence is likely to sell just slightly over half what Born to Die did in its first week. You can't always be too sure, honestly.

I would rather say her exposure was BIGGER at the time, but that might just be me.
          I agree. I felt that there was bigger hype around Born To Die, at least in Europe.

Comment

^ Yet in the UK Ultraviolence is likely to sell just slightly over half what Born to Die did in its first week. You can't always be too sure, honestly.

It's simple really: there's not a lot of hype for her release in the UK but in the states, she has piqued people's interest more now following the first album's release.
            "Crime is increasing
            Trigger happy policing..."
            -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Comment

• Exactly. When BTD was released, Lana was massive everywhere in Europe, while there was practically no hype for her in Europe.

Later, she managed to have a hit in the US, became way more popular, had a succesful tour... basically, she focused in the US market in the last few months, that's why she's doing so well, while in the rest of the world her songs are not getting as popular as Video Games was for example. I find it no surprise that she's debuting so well in the US but lower than with BTD in other countries.
              Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

• HITS:

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/new ... ws09919m01

According to the latest retail reports on Thursday morning, Lana Del Rey’s album is on track to finish in the neighborhood of 180-190k, while we’re presently projecting a total in the 150-160k range for Sam Smith, though this is not an exact science, and the picture could certainly change between now and Sunday.

Comment

• YOUR TOP 15: The battle for bragging rights on next week’s HITS Top 50 Albums Chart starts at the top and continues through the ranks, including such intriguing matchups as Miranda Lambert vs. Willie Nelson and Coldplay vs. Black Keys. Here's how the combatants are lining up heading into the weekend:

* Lana Del Rey (Interscope) 180-190k
                  * Sam Smith (Capitol) 150-160k
                  * Linkin Park (Warner Bros.) 100-110k
                  Frozen (Walt Disney) 40-45k
                  Miranda Lambert (RCA Nashville) 35-40k
                  * Willie Nelson (Legacy) 35-40k
                  Jack White (Third Man/Columbia) 28-32k
                  * Jennifer Lopez (Capitol) 28-32k
                  Now 50 (NOW) 27-30k
                  * Deadmau5 (Mau5trap/Astralwerks) 27-30k
                  Brantley Gilbert (Valory) 25-27k
                  Coldplay (Parlophone) 23-25k
                  The Black Keys (Nonesuch/Warner Bros.) 22-24k
                  Fault In Our Stars (Atlantic) 21-23k
                  Michael Jackson (Epic) 16-18k

Comment

• Woah - good projection for the Black Keys! Miranda's also still doing well.

I am liking Lana's continued rising figures.

Comment

Woah - good projection for the Black Keys! Miranda's also still doing well.
                      37.5k would mean a 40% drop, not sure whether she's doing that well with it. If you go by positions, then that'd mean an easy 3rd week in the top 10, something she's never experienced before.

Big drop for Jack White, 80% is never a good thing...

Coldplay is predicted to already drop out of the top 10? Meh... Their era isn't really up for a good start it seems.

VERY disappointing opening for Linkin Park so far, less than half of their last record. Sam Smith and Lana Del Rey doing well, hope that that won't indicate big drops from week 2 on.

Frozen is still in the top 5 as summer is about to start .
                      Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy94
                        VERY disappointing opening for Linkin Park so far
                        lol Timmy, +100k for a band doing music that hasn't been popular in years is quite surprising actually, Limp Bizkit wish their albums sold 100k total now.
                        "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• J.Lo's sales :(
                          to be expected but still

Comment

• I for one am really surprised by Sam Smith's numbers, who could've imagined his album would sell almost as much as Lana's who has a pretty big following?

I still haven't played his album, but as soon as I'm finished with college exams I will for sure.
                            "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Originally posted by hugo
                              Originally posted by Timmy94
                              VERY disappointing opening for Linkin Park so far
                              lol Timmy, +100k for a band doing music that hasn't been popular in years is quite surprising actually, Limp Bizkit wish their albums sold 100k total now.
                              But Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are in totally different leagues nowadays, people actually still care about Linkin Park in 2014, which is why I expected a bit more from then...

Originally posted by MrDiva
                              J.Lo's sales :(
                              to be expected but still
                              Yeah, huge drop from ~ 80k to ~ 30k, but I agree, it was kind of expected.
                              Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Originally posted by BadMan125
                                Originally posted by Nackar

It's simple really: there's not a lot of hype for her release in the UK but in the states, she has piqued people's interest more now following the first album's release.
                                Yep very obvious.
                                http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- Brilliant blog about all the UK No 1 albums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy94

37.5k would mean a 40% drop, not sure whether she's doing that well with it. If you go by positions, then that'd mean an easy 3rd week in the top 10, something she's never experienced before.
                                  From what I've seen in the past year, a 40% third week drop seems pretty average, and therefore OK in my book!

Originally posted by BadMan125
                                  Yes, I see that and understand that, but I'm just interested in getting to know why that is. The album was a lot more successful in the UK (comparatively, of course, but selling 900k in the UK is a much bigger achievement than selling a million in the US), so - in advance - it wouldn't be weird to expect hype to be bigger there.

Comment

• Originally posted by hugo
                                    I for one am really surprised by Sam Smith's numbers, who could've imagined his album would sell almost as much as Lana's who has a pretty big following?

I still haven't played his album, but as soon as I'm finished with college exams I will for sure.
                                    I for one is not surprised. Esp with the way Capitol is pushing him.

Giving me Emile Sande "Next to me" teas. They tried SO hard with that one but failed lol.
                                    HIGH BY THE BEACH

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy94

From what I've seen in the past year, a 40% third week drop seems pretty average, and therefore OK in my book!

Originally posted by BadMan125
                                      Yes, I see that and understand that, but I'm just interested in getting to know why that is. The album was a lot more successful in the UK (comparatively, of course, but selling 900k in the UK is a much bigger achievement than selling a million in the US), so - in advance - it wouldn't be weird to expect hype to be bigger there.
                                      1) Yeah, we've had it a couple of times actually, so maybe I'll do some statistics to find out what's the average 3rd week drop nowadays soon, as you know, numbers don't lie .

2) And that's exactly the point that I don't get! Of course I expect a much higher opening (comparatively) from a 3x Platinum in the UK than a Platinum album in the US, if nothing major happened to help the act's popularity in one country/ruin the act's popularity in the other one.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• So how much for Ed Sheeran next week?

Someone at Pulse thinks 275k.

I'm thinking more like 150k.

Comment

• wow at Sam Smith, I thought doing 80-90k would already be more than great for him

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham
                                            So how much for Ed Sheeran next week?

Someone at Pulse thinks 275k.

I'm thinking more like 150k.
                                            Or maybe something in the middle? I think 200-220K.

Comment

• With the huge reception to their albums, Lana and Sam are going to be Grammy darlings for sure!

Comment

• Huge reception?

Mmm...maybe if they have a lot of longevity I guess. Multiple hits from their albums would help too.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack
                                                  With the huge reception to their albums, Lana and Sam are going to be Grammy darlings for sure!
                                                  Not here to dismiss Sam but his album is critically panned.
                                                  HIGH BY THE BEACH

Comment

• http://www.metacritic.com/music/in-t...hour/sam-smith

It's hardly panned. But yes, critical reception isn't excellent.

Anyway, critical reception doesn't have to be all that high to be nominated for a Grammy anyway. There were examples to the contrary during the previous Grammy's as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X