No announcement yet.

HITS #1: Sales/SPS Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right, I forgot about Justin Bieber, I didn't know about Alice In Chains' record.
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike
      Two things need to be said about Meghan:

1. it's only an EP
      2. it's only digitally available, no physical release

I'm sure she'd sell at least 30-40k first week with a full album

Remember Carly Rae Jepsen? She had also a huge pop hit with "Call Me Maybe" and i'd say "All About That Bass" is kinda similar... and despite having such a huge hit, her full album "Kiss" only sold 46k in its first week
      I didn't know that, thanks! now this opening seems normal imo, if at least the EP was available physically and had a few more tracks it would at least go Top 10 on the B200.
      Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

• I seriously overestimated Jhene Aiko's opening sales, thought she could approach 100k given that her EP has been such a good seller this year. I think she will do very well with this one too though, hope she gets to that #1!

Comment

• YOUR TOP 15: Competition for the #1 spot on next week’s HITS Album Sales Chart remains tight between Lecrae and Jhen? Aiko. A third player (and this week’s chart champ), Maroon 5, may enter the race come Monday, thanks largely to a bundled offering from Ticketmaster. Meanwhile, no fewer than eight new releases will debut in the Top 10. Here’s how it looks headed into the weekend:

*Lecrae (Reach) 75-80k
          *Jhen? Aiko (Def Jam) 70-75k
          Maroon 5 (222/Interscope) 55-60k
          *Ryan Adams (Blue Note) 38-43k
          *Lee Brice (Curb) 38-43k
          Jeezy (Def Jam) 30-35k
          *Interpol (Matador) 30-35k
          *Dustin Lynch (Broken Bow) 28-32k
          *Banks (Harvest) 27-30k
          *Robert Plant (Nonesuch) 24-27k
          Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix, Vol. 1 (Hollywood) 23-26k
          Ariana Grande (Republic) 21-24k
          Frozen (Walt Disney) 21-24k
          *Vance Joy (Atlantic) 21-24k
          *Rittz (Strange Music) 21-24k

*Debuts

In other news, the new Apple Watch will not make reading this website any more bearable. (9/11p)

Comment

• Sales haven't been that healthy in a long time! And so many debuts at once ...
            Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Yup. Frozen out of the Top 10.

Not a bad drop for Maroon 5.

Ariana opened with 169k and dropped to 42k. Maroon 5 will do better.

Wow. All of the Top 15 sell over 20k.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy94
                10k is not that bad? It's not like EPs haven't reached the top 10 before... The biggest EP is probably Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster, which ended up reaching platinum...
                You're comparing a four track digital-only EP by a completely new artist with just ONE current hit under her belt that was released very quickly after it was announced to an EP that was a re-release in most countries of a hugely successful multi-platinum album by the newest proven pop sensation who already had multiple hits. That doesn't make any sense. So, yes, EPs have been more successful before. This EP, however, is really not very significant.

Originally posted by floria
                Maroon 5, may enter the race come Monday, thanks largely to a bundled offering from Ticketmaster
                Could anyone tell me about this bundle? Is it one of those concert ticket + album bundles?

Originally posted by thebigham
                Maroon 5 will do better.
                Yes, but apparently with some sort of bundle?

Comment

• ^Yes, a concert ticket/album redemption bundle.

Tom Petty did the same recently.

Comment

• @Nackar: I wanted to it as example of what an EP is able to. Some of the comments sounded like Meghan's EP couldn't have done better, probably because they assume that EPs in general couldn't do much better, and that's just not true.

I don't like the idea that many new acts start with an EP lately. Just release the album and don't make a whole drama out of it by unnecessarily hyping yourself for months, it's not like your debut album is going to reach gold in week 1 anyway .

PS: I found out that Mariah Carey's MTV Unplugged, also an EP, reached 3x platinum in the US. In fact, that record charted for more than 2 years in the Netherlands. Not bad for an EP, n'est-ce pas ?

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy94
                      Sales haven't been that healthy in 10 years
                      I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Comment

• I'm impressed with the top 15 sales predictions myself! Maroon 5's second week prediction is amazing.
                        "Crime is increasing
                        Trigger happy policing..."
                        -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Comment

• @danbarj: That's not my quote. As a lawyer, you should know that quoting something inaccurately can lead to a lot of trouble...

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Lorde (also a new artist) released The Love Club EP about a year ago, and it sold 60k or so in US. It did go 7Plat in Australia though!!

I think she is a better comparison to Meghan than Mariah Carey, who released the Unplugged EP in the 90's market conditions and when she was already a massive star.
                            'Heartbreak is a National Anthem, We sing it proudly.'

Comment

• But I'm pretty sure Royals didn't go #1 until a few months later around the time of the Album Release. So when Royals was huge, the album being available made the EP a superfluous purchase.

Bass is already #1.

Comment

• @revel8: There are many EPs that perform similar to Lorde's, I remember e.g. Imagine Dragons' and Florida Georgia Line's, which charted for a while but didn't set the chart on fire. Yes, the EP did surprisingly well in Australia. Its chart run has been awesome in New Zealand as well, which makes sense considering she's one of the few New Zealand acts to make it big worldwide. The last thing I know is that it reached gold there, though it's eligible for platinum and maybe 2x platinum by now.

Mariah Carey just came to my mind because it performed fairly well for an EP, I didn't want to compare both acts. Still, I think a very successful EP can perform like a moderately successful album.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Jhene AIko has sold 282,000+ from her EP with crazy consistency, been on the BB200 for 41 weeks now

Comment

• It's always good to see a battle for the top spot! More interesting in itself than having a big-selling #1 with the rest of the top ten having subpar sales.

Originally posted by thebigham
                                    ^Yes, a concert ticket/album redemption bundle.

Tom Petty did the same recently.
                                    Thanks!

Can't wait to see how that might influence their sales.

Comment

• A bit odd, but do you know what I'd like to see: Some act that got popular in the US the way Santiano got popular in Germany. As their debut album reached the German Albums Chart, no one was aware of them. Then they received TV advertisement and eventually reached No. 1. Due to, among other reasons, clever marketing, that album is on the German Albums Chart for almost 3 years now and nearing the 1 mio. mark in terms of sales.

In general, the US lacks acts that sell great quantities of albums, despite not selling singles (as most schlager acts in Germany or e.g. Santiano), that's usually the case when it comes to genres like jazz or adult contemporary, those genres don't have a big star at the moment.

And I'd love to see an act being the big surprise of the year... You know, a success no one would've expected right before the release. In Germany, there was this veteran act called Udo Lindenberg (in fact he's bigger now than he ever was during his 40-year-career), he released his own MTV Unplugged and all of a sudden, he was in high demand again! That album ended up being sold more than 1 mio. times. My biggest hope was Lionel Richie's Tuskegee, his great start (2 weeks at No. 1, despite not debuting at that position) already promised much, unfortunately, it wasn't able to continue with it for a much longer time.

Slowburners are of course always a nice thing as well and I think that we are all happy about Frozen's unique chart performance this year .

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nackar
                                        It's always good to see a battle for the top spot! More interesting in itself than having a big-selling #1 with the rest of the top ten having subpar sales.
                                        I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Comment

• ONE year ago:

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/archcht.cgi?cht566

CHART DATE: 09/16/2013

-- 1 KEITH URBAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 102,881 --
                                          FUSE
                                          -- 2 THE WEEKND XO/REPUBLIC 97,985 --
                                          KISS LAND
                                          -- 3 2 CHAINZ DEF JAM/IDJ 60,664 --
                                          B.O.A.T.S. II #METIME
                                          4 4 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 52,279 -23%
                                          CRASH MY PARTY
                                          -- 5 JANELLE MONAE BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 47,894 --
                                          ELECTRIC LADY
                                          -- 6 ARCTIC MONKEYS DOMINO 39,605 --
                                          AM
                                          -- 7 SHERYL CROW WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 37,340 --
                                          FEELS LIKE HOME
                                          2 8 TAMAR BRAXTON EPIC 34,688 -70%
                                          LOVE & WAR
                                          1 9 ARIANA GRANDE REPUBLIC 31,318 -77%
                                          YOURS TRULY
                                          5 10 JOHN LEGEND COLUMBIA 30,226 -54%
                                          LOVE IN THE FUTURE

Comment

• CHART DATE: 09/15/2014
                                            LAST UPDATE: 09/15/2014 11:29:17
                                            NOW IN: 54.02%

LW TW artist / album label sales index
                                            1 1 MAROON 5 222/INTERSCOPE 58,495
                                            V
                                            -- 2 LECRAE REACH 58,249
                                            ANOMALY
                                            4 3 ARIANA GRANDE REPUBLIC 19,765
                                            MY EVERYTHING
                                            -- 4 LEE BRICE CURB 17,259
                                            I DON'T DANCE
                                            -- 5 JHENE AIKO DEF JAM 13,143
                                            SOULED OUT
                                            -- 6 MEGHAN TRAINOR EPIC 12,998
                                            TITLE
                                            2 7 JEEZY DEF JAM 12,798
                                            SEEN IT ALL
                                            9 8 NOW 51 NOW 11,973
                                            VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                            8 9 FROZEN WALT DISNEY 10,179
                                            SOUNDTRACK
                                            -- 10 BUSTIN LYNCH BROKEN BOW 9,056
                                            WHERE IT'S AT
                                            -- 11 RITZ STRANGE MUSIC 7,349
                                            NEXT TO NOTHING
                                            7 12 SAM SMITH CAPITOL 7,233
                                            IN THE LONELY HOUR
                                            3 13 GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY HOLLYWOOD 6,988
                                            SOUNDTRACK
                                            15 14 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 6,480
                                            CRASH MY PARTY
                                            -- 15 INTERPOL MATADOR 6,354
                                            EL PINTOR
                                            12 16 KEM MOTOWN 6,220
                                            PROMISE TO LOVE
                                            -- 17 ROBERT PLANT NONESUCH 5,656
                                            LULLABY & THE CEASELESS ROAR
                                            23 18 BRANTLEY GILBERT VALORY 5,391
                                            JUST AS I AM
                                            11 19 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER CAPITOL 5,336
                                            5 SECONDS OF SUMMER
                                            14 20 BRAD PAISLEY ARISTA NASHVILLE 4,998
                                            MOONSHINE IN THE TRUNK
                                            -- 21 RYAN ADAMS BLUE NOTE 4,898
                                            RYAN ADAMS
                                            21 22 NOW 50 NOW 4,582
                                            VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                            13 23 MIRANDA LAMBERT RCA NASHVILLE 4,180
                                            PLATINUM
                                            19 24 CHASE RICE DACK JANIELS 4,009
                                            IGNITE THE NIGHT
                                            16 25 ED SHEERAN ATLANTIC 3,950
                                            X
                                            10 26 WIZ KHALIFA ATLANTIC 3,818
                                            BLACC HOLLYWOOD
                                            24 27 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE REPUBLIC NASHVILLE 3,786
                                            HERE'S TO THE GOOD TIMES
                                            17 28 IGGY AZALEA GRAND HUSTLE/DEF JAM 3,422
                                            NEW CLASSIC
                                            40 29 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 3,412
                                            BASED ON A TRUE STORY
                                            42 30 KIDZ BOP KIDS RAZOR & TIE 3,221
                                            KIDZ BOP 26
                                            35 31 NASHVILLE OUTLAWS: TRIBUT TO MOT BIG MACHINE 3,218
                                            VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                            -- 32 NOW COUNTRY 7 NOW 2,990
                                            VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                            -- 33 GODSMACK REPUBLIC 2,362
                                            1000HP
                                            29 34 ONEREPUBLIC INTERSCOPE 2,127
                                            NATIVE
                                            38 35 ERIC CHURCH EMI NASHVILLE 2,113
                                            THE OUTSIDERS
                                            37 36 TREY SONGZ ATLANTIC 1,954
                                            TRIGGA
                                            30 37 COLDPLAY PARLOPHONE 1,925
                                            GHOST STORIES
                                            -- 38 MICHELLE WILLIAMS EONE 1,797
                                            JOURNEY TO FREEDOM
                                            -- 39 JOHN LEGEND COLUMBIA 1,789
                                            LOVE IN THE FUTURE
                                            31 40 LORDE REPUBLIC 1,716
                                            PURE HEROINE
                                            -- 41 PHARRELL WILLIAMS COLUMBIA 1,642
                                            G I R L
                                            -- 42 MICHAEL JACKSON EPIC 1,628
                                            XSCAPE
                                            -- 43 ENRIQUE IGLESIAS INTERSCOPE 1,620
                                            SEX AND LOVE
                                            50 44 KATY PERRY CAPITOL 1,446
                                            PRISM
                                            46 45 DIERKS BENTLEY EMI NASHVILLE 1,433
                                            RISER
                                            49 46 LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 1,378
                                            HUNTING PARTY
                                            32 47 AVENGED SEVENFOLD HOPELESS 1,370
                                            WAKING THE FALLEN
                                            25 48 ERIC CLAPTON & FRIENDS BUSHBRANCH/SURFDOG 1,342
                                            THE BREEZE: AN APPRECIATION OF
                                            33 49 TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS REPRISE 1,269
                                            HYPNOTIC EYE
                                            41 50 ARCTIC MONKEYS DOMINO 1,205
                                            AM

Comment

• NOW IN: 69.42%

-- 1 LECRAE REACH 69,170
                                              ANOMALY
                                              1 2 MAROON 5 222/INTERSCOPE 58,495
                                              V
                                              -- 3 JHENE AIKO DEF JAM 49,408
                                              SOULED OUT
                                              -- 4 LEE BRICE CURB 27,559
                                              I DON'T DANCE
                                              -- 5 RYAN ADAMS BLUE NOTE 26,297
                                              RYAN ADAMS
                                              2 6 JEEZY DEF JAM 21,640
                                              SEEN IT ALL
                                              -- 7 DUSTIN LYNCH BROKEN BOW 21,460
                                              WHERE IT'S AT
                                              4 8 ARIANA GRANDE REPUBLIC 19,765
                                              MY EVERYTHING
                                              -- 9 BANKS ATLANTIC 19,331
                                              GODDESS
                                              -- 10 INTERPOL MATADOR 16,554
                                              EL PINTOR
                                              7 11 SAM SMITH CAPITOL 16,014
                                              IN THE LONELY HOUR
                                              9 12 NOW 51 NOW 13,661
                                              VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                              -- 13 MEGHAN TRAINOR EPIC 12,998
                                              TITLE
                                              -- 14 ROBERT PLANT NONESUCH 12,756
                                              LULLABY & THE CEASELESS ROAR
                                              -- 15 VANCE JOY ATLANTIC 11,536
                                              DREAM YOUR LIFE AWAY
                                              8 16 FROZEN WALT DISNEY 10,179
                                              SOUNDTRACK
                                              50 17 KATY PERRY CAPITOL 9,783
                                              PRISM
                                              15 18 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 9,350
                                              CRASH MY PARTY
                                              10 19 WIZ KHALIFA ATLANTIC 7,998
                                              BLACC HOLLYWOOD
                                              12 20 KEM MOTOWN 7,889
                                              PROMISE TO LOVE
                                              -- 21 ARIANA GRANDE REPUBLIC 7,796
                                              YOURS TRULY
                                              -- 22 RITZ STRANGE MUSIC 7,349
                                              NEXT TO NOTHING
                                              3 23 GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY HOLLYWOOD 6,988
                                              SOUNDTRACK
                                              -- 24 ENRIQUE IGLESIAS INTERSCOPE 5,912
                                              SEX AND LOVE
                                              30 25 COLDPLAY PARLOPHONE 5,747
                                              GHOST STORIES
                                              24 26 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE REPUBLIC NASHVILLE 5,612
                                              HERE'S TO THE GOOD TIMES
                                              23 27 BRANTLEY GILBERT VALORY 5,391
                                              JUST AS I AM
                                              -- 28 SWITCHFOOT ATLANTIC 5,366
                                              EDGE OF THE EARTH
                                              11 29 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER CAPITOL 5,336
                                              5 SECONDS OF SUMMER
                                              48 30 EMINEM SHADY/AFTERMATH/INT 5,324
                                              MARSHALL MATHERS LP2
                                              14 31 BRAD PAISLEY ARISTA NASHVILLE 4,998
                                              MOONSHINE IN THE TRUNK
                                              21 32 NOW 50 NOW 4,582
                                              VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                              13 33 MIRANDA LAMBERT RCA NASHVILLE 4,180
                                              PLATINUM
                                              37 34 TREY SONGZ ATLANTIC 4,096
                                              TRIGGA
                                              19 35 CHASE RICE DACK JANIELS 4,009
                                              IGNITE THE NIGHT
                                              16 36 ED SHEERAN ATLANTIC 3,950
                                              X
                                              34 37 BEYONCE COLUMBIA 3,872
                                              BEYONCE
                                              6 38 COUNTING CROWS CAPITOL 3,700
                                              SOMEWHERE UNDER WONDERLAND
                                              29 39 ONEREPUBLIC INTERSCOPE 3,696
                                              NATIVE
                                              17 40 IGGY AZALEA GRAND HUSTLE/DEF JAM 3,422
                                              NEW CLASSIC
                                              40 41 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 3,412
                                              BASED ON A TRUE STORY
                                              -- 42 DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979 LAST GANG/WARNER BROS. 3,398
                                              PHYSICAL WORLD
                                              31 43 LORDE REPUBLIC 3,297
                                              PURE HEROINE
                                              42 44 KIDZ BOP KIDS RAZOR & TIE 3,221
                                              KIDZ BOP 26
                                              35 45 NASHVILLE OUTLAWS: TRIBUT TO MOT BIG MACHINE 3,218
                                              VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                              -- 46 NOW COUNTRY 7 NOW 2,990
                                              VARIOUS ARTISTS
                                              28 47 SIA MONKEY PUZZLE/RCA 2,925
                                              1000 FORMS OF FEAR
                                              18 48 LANA DEL REY INTERSCOPE 2,745
                                              ULTRAVIOLENCE
                                              -- 49 GODSMACK REPUBLIC 2,362
                                              1000HP
                                              26 50 THE BLACK KEYS NONESUCH/WARNER BROS. 2,255
                                              TURN BLUE

Comment

• I am PRESSED for the FINAL update lol

Comment

• Originally posted by danbarj
                                                  I am PRESSED for the FINAL update lol

Comment

• It seems like Maroon 5 will end up at #2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Washingtonian25
                                                      It seems like Maroon 5 will end up at #2.
                                                      You can't judge that from the first updates, the final update can mix up things A LOT again...

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• New albums out today:

Target circular:

Barbra Streisand $10.99 (Deluxe $14.99)
                                                        Tim McGraw $10.99 (Deluxe $14.99)
                                                        Chris Brown $9.99 (Deluxe $14.99)
                                                        Train $9.99

Best Buy circular:

Chris Brown $9.99 (Deluxe $14.99)
                                                        Tim McGraw $9.99 (Deluxe $15.99)
                                                        Shaman's Harvest $9.99
                                                        Motionless In White $9.99
                                                        Slash $10.99 (Deluxe $21.99)
                                                        Flyleaf $9.99
                                                        Madden Brothers $9.99
                                                        Train $9.99
                                                        Pop Evil $11.99
                                                        Anthrax $9.99
                                                        Cannibal Corpse $11.99
                                                        Otherwise $11.99
                                                        George Strait (Live) $11.99

Comment

• http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

YOUR EARLY READS: It appears we'll see another battle for #1 on next week's HITS Album Sales Chart, with Columbia's Barbra Streisand vying for the crown with RCA's Chris Brown. Early reads suggest both titles are exceeding expectations and destined for bows in the neighborhood of 120k. Babs' new set, Partners, features duets with Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, Michael Bublé, John Mayer and Elvis Presley, among others; Brown's X boasts guests Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Kendrick Lamar and Jhené Aiko, among others. As always, we remind that these are very early numbers; stay tuned for updates. (9/15p)

Comment

• ^ Good figures for Brown where he is at now. After Fortune I, of course, hoped for improvement, but since that clearly wasn't going to happen this works!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nackar
                                                              ^ Good figures for Brown where he is at now. After Fortune I, of course, hoped for improvement, but since that clearly wasn't going to happen this works!

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Working...
                                                              X