My top 75 weirdest Eurovision National Final entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My top 75 weirdest Eurovision National Final entries

Due to some popular demand, I will try to present some of the weirdest, outlandish national final entries and also a couple of my own faves.

75. Keep Of Kalessin - The Dragontower

Genre: Melodic Black Metal, Heavy Metal
    Year: 2010
    Result: Semi-final

One of their more calm and melodic songs, yet not that easy to get into to win the popular vote-based Norway NF.

Waffles are checked cookies

74. Edward Blom – Livet pĺ en pinne

Genre: Musical theatre (?)
    Year: 2018
    Result: Semi-final

"Life On a Stick" is something like "Food, glorious food", but way too much for the Swedish national final, I guess.

Comment

73. Tornike Kipiani - You Are My Sunshine

Genre: Dubstep, Industrial
      Year: 2017
      Result: 23rd out of 25.

This year's Georgian representative (as of 2020), (How do you want me to talk, like an Englishman?) decided to go all-in with this disjointed effort.
      Last edited by heppolo; Thu May 14, 2020, 10:46.

Comment

72. Yohio - Heartbreak Hotel

Genre: Visual Key (?), Pop Rock
        Year: 2013
        Result: Runner-up (won the televote)

Maybe a visual key imposter band from Sweden wasn't such a bad choice after all since Sweden were the hosts that year. The song though is pure schlager-ish 80s rock in a glossy visual key wrapping.

Comment

Kaia Tamm for the win.

Melodifestivalen - 2018
          9. Edward Blom - Livet Pa En Pinne - 3 / 10

Melodifestivalen - 2013
          23. Yohio - Heartbreak Hotel - 2 / 10
          My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
          In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
            Kaia Tamm for the win.

Melodifestivalen - 2018
            9. Edward Blom - Livet Pa En Pinne - 3 / 10

Melodifestivalen - 2013
            23. Yohio - Heartbreak Hotel - 2 / 10
            It will be close to the top, I am not necessary mentioning the best entries or my favourite ones, but the weirdest or purely WTF ones.
            What are yours, by the way?

Comment

70. Gregorian - Masters Of Chant

Genre: New Age, Gregorian chant
              Year: 2016
              Result: 5th

New Age used to be quite popular in Eurovision back in the day, but by the mid 2010s the genre has been in decline for a while...And then along comes something this. Watch out for the counter-tenor voice.

Comment

"Popular" demand meaning myself.
                The idea came after seeing a certain vulgar-named act that had their own TV show was highlighted by another Twitter user.

Georgia i have a soft spot for ever since Sopho. That track is not that bad though the lyric is odd given how he seems to be angry while he's singing You Are My Sunshine. Did they just drop a lyric from another song on to the track?

Gregorian thing is really good - that vocalist at the end is a bit of an abrupt swerve though one has got more used to that with Hatari.
                Last edited by Blondini; Thu May 14, 2020, 15:35.
                Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

69. Natasha Bogdanova - Hello

Genre: Pop, Electropop
                  Year: 2016
                  Result: NQ at pre-qualifying stage

This is a fandom classic now. I am only ranking it this low (number 69, sneaky move?) because it only reached the pre-qualifying/audition stage (there will be some other audition stage duds).
                  The accent, the off-key vocal, the "eh-eh-oh-oh" lyrics...Perfect Eurotrash combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                    "Popular" demand meaning myself.
                    The idea came after seeing a certain vulgar-named act that had their own TV show was highlighted by another user on Twitter.

Georgia i have a soft spot for ever since Sopho. That track is not that bad though the lyric is odd given how he seems to be angry while he's singing You Are My Sunshine. Did they just drop a lyric from another song on to the track?

Gregorian thing is really good - that vocalist at the end is a bit of an abrupt swerve though one has got more used to that with Hatari.
                    It's an interesting task, because not all of the older ones are available on youtube, some NF entries feel like a weird dream...
                    Tornike (Georgian singer) is never not angry or so it seems.
                    Gregorian is really interesting as a stand-alone piece, I thought they would have been the winners, yet Germany picked "Ghost" by Jamie-Lee that year.

Comment

Oh it's not as good as Ghost. Glad that never happened. So are you excluding the ones that aren't available or do they get honourable mentions?
                      Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

68. Daz Sampson & DJ Nona - Kinky Boots

Genre: Pop, Dance
                        Year: 2019
                        Result: NQ at pre-qualifying stage

There is no universe where Daz Sampson (Was he a UKMixer back in the day?) isn't weird. This is mega-Eurotrash, I feel slightly sorry for DJ Nona, she's cute and serving a very off-key version of Aqua-esque brand of childish "vocal".

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                          Oh it's not as good as Ghost. Glad that never happened. So are you excluding the ones that aren't available or do they get honourable mentions?
                          I'll give the lost ones a honourable mention. "Ghost" is a good studio track, which was never going to work on Eurovision stage, it got lost in the mix unlike some weird presence of monks

Comment

67. Zbogom Brus Li - Ha Ha Ha

Genre: Ska, Pop Punk
                            Year: 2009
                            Result: 15th

The band is called "God Bless, Bruce Lee"...The song is a thinly-veiled political manifest and the first verse says "Vote for our party, the Party Of Laughter".
                            Last edited by heppolo; Thu May 14, 2020, 16:16.

Comment

66. Alvistar Funk Association - Make Love, Not War

Genre: Acid Jazz, Downtempo, Smooth Jazz
                              Result: NQ, lost in the semi-final

The lyrics are just the names of the countries participating in Eurovision over some elevator muzak background instrumental.

Comment

That Daz one is awful. Was back to type after the great Teenage Life.

Estonia thinking they can get away with flattering countries before they've even got their foot in the door.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post

It will be close to the top, I am not necessary mentioning the best entries or my favourite ones, but the weirdest or purely WTF ones.
                                  I think that I know # 1 here, because it's very hard to beat one awful song from 2013 year.
                                  Also I hope that you didn't include two my favourite songs from Lithuanian pre-selection.
                                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

65. Fox Lima - Tirpini

Genre: New Age
                                    Year: 2013
                                    Result: NQ, semi-final

Now here's an example of a very poorly acted new age song, the moves and dance show that we're seeing some beginners taking centre stage. It looks fun & awkward at the same time.

Comment

64. Viva La Diva - Nova Glória

Genre: Pop/Opera crossover
                                      Result: 2nd (televote winner)

The unspeakable things Eurovision does to Opera music on a regular basis. The whole thing doesn't seem that weird until you realise it has handfully beaten Salvador Sobral in the televote, who was saved by the jury vote and went on to crush Eurovision that year (some still say it was extremely boring, I beg to disagree). The woman (Kika) sings nicely, but I always wondered what was the reason for having those two tenors who add absolutely nothing except for pretty LOUD and try-hard screaming.

Comment

63. Fruit-eating Bears - Door In My Face

Year: 1978
                                        Genre: Powerpop, New Wave
                                        Result: 12th

starts here at 7:10

This is the good kind of weird, especially for the standard of the late 1970s Eurovision

Comment

Before live performance "Tirpini" was a big fan favourite.

Germany (2016)
                                          Last place - Gregorian - Masters Of Chant - 2 / 10

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                          Weirdest in a bad case :
                                          There are so much. From 2020 year it's possibly "Me Ne Frego". Finnish Opera Skaala, Club La Perse and many others. But # 1 is obviously Electric Fields from Australia 2019, possibly it's my all-time # 1 least favourite NF song.
                                          Last edited by LastDreamer; Fri May 15, 2020, 07:16.

Comment

Before live performance "Tirpini" was a big fan favourite.

Germany (2016)
                                            Last place - Gregorian - Masters Of Chant - 2 / 10

Weirdest in a bad case :
                                            There are so much. From 2020 year it's possibly "Me Ne Frego". Finnish Opera Skaala, Club La Perse and many others. But # 1 is obviously Electric Fields from Australia 2019, possibly it's my all-time # 1 least favourite NF song.
                                            I'd say Gunther's song was even weirder than Club La Perse (that one was obviously very much influenced by the 80s/Dead Or Alive/Culture Club/Leigh Bowery style). A welcomed dissenting opinion on Electric Fields (I was alright with that, it wasn't super dull at least).

Comment

62. Oleg Bezinskikh - The Crowning

Year: 2010
                                              Genre: Opera/Electropop crossover
                                              Result: 2nd

Russian NF was quite weird in 2010, and this relatively unknown counter-tenor singing over some electropop beat in order to emulate some sort of the Fifth Element rip-off was a whisker away from the victory. "English and cyborg languages", you wish.

Comment

Talking about Russian NF. Will we see "Breath Away Song" from 2012 ? I really love that iconic performance.

Also I think that you can include https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWHBspMwQw from Belarus live auditions in this list.
                                                Last edited by LastDreamer; Fri May 15, 2020, 09:19.

Comment

Talking about Russian NF. Will we see "Breath Away Song" from 2012 ? I really love that iconic performance.
                                                  Sure, but waaaay higher

Comment

Working...
                                                  X