No announcement yet.

WHITNEY HOUSTON 2020: HER TOP 100 ENDURING SONGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news! I got a Twitter message: My #2020Wrapped on Spotify is almost ready! I can't wait to share with you my Top 100 most streamed songs!
    Last edited by nemospence; Tue November 24, 2020, 03:13.

Comment

back to our countdown!

75.I Learned From The Best
      This is where the competition gets tough. Whitney Houston...The mic...Singing her heart out about her ex who made her tough. Written by every singer's songwriter, Diane Warren.

"Baby I learned the way to break a heart.
      I learned from the best, I learned from you."

74. Call You Tonight
      The first of the nine songs from I Look To You, her final album ( ), to appear in our list.

73. In My Business (feat. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott)

72. Step By Step​​​​​

71. I Belong To You

Comment

back to the countdown!

70. Are You The Woman (with Kashif)
        Whitney only contributed background vocals to this song. But it was enough for me to include this in our list–the song was too sexy to be left out!

—Kashif produced Whitney's first hit, You Give Good Love. He died in 2016.

69. Somebody Bigger Than You And I (feat. Bobby Brown, Faith Evans, Johnny Hill, Monica, & Ralph Tresvant)

68. Anymore

67. My Love (feat. Bobby Brown)

Whitney & Bobby had been married for ten years when they recorded this song. They wanted to prove the world wrong in this record. It appeared in the end that the wrong was their marriage.
        ​​​
        66. Worth It

Comment

Good to see 'One Of Those Days' on the list. Such a great song. One of her most underrated ones, IMO.
          Love to listen to it on a hot Summer night. <3
          Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
            Good to see 'One Of Those Days' on the list. Such a great song. One of her most underrated ones, IMO.
            Love to listen to it on a hot Summer night. <3
            Wow, I can't believe the love for this song!

Comment

back to the countdown!

65. I Got You
              25 years in the music industry, Whitney can still impress with just one song. This is the song.

64. Hold Up The Light (with Cece Winans & Bebe Winans)
              The vocal range of Whitney and Cece on this song was insane! Of course you can't count Bebe out. His voice was equally good. An ensemble for a lifetime.

63. Takin' A Chance
              Co-written by Whitney, this was exclusively released as a single in Japan.

"There’s a chance that maybe in this life I’ll find
              True love and peace of mind."

62. A Song For You
              Written and originally recorded by rock singer and pianist Leon Russell, Whitney covered this song for her I Look To You album. Originally a slow song, Whitney made this into a danceable track. And it worked!

61. Higher Love
              Before you get so emotional, this is not the 2019 remixed version of DJ Kygo but the original version that Whitney recorded in 1989/1990. Both versions have turned so different from each other, even their ranking in this countdown.

Comment

I always thought that "Step By Step" was hugely underwhelming as a single, a real disappointment back then... "Higher Love" was amazing if only for the nostalgia factor (in every aspect of the song). "One Of Those Days" is indeed a gem in Whitney's back catalogue. "In My Business" was a fave of mine from that album, "I Learned From The Best" should have been great, in reality it wasn't really, just an attempt to recreate the magic ballad of the '80s which didn't quite work

PS: I love Kashif
                Last edited by jio; Thu November 26, 2020, 04:19.
                jio CHARTS NOW: 19/1/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...1#post10543721

Comment

I love 'Higher Love', both the original and the Kygo mix. A great song
                  Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

"I Learned from the Best" is among my top five Whitney songs. Diane did a great job on the songwriting end and of course Whitney was going to destroy the vocal portion of the assignment. "Call You Tonight" is fantastic. I think it could've been a big hit for her.

Whitney's live renditions of "A Song for You" in the 90s were phenomenal.
                    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2020: [#1!]
                    Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2020: [#1!]
                    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2020: [#1!]

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                      "I Learned from the Best" is among my top five Whitney songs. Diane did a great job on the songwriting end and of course Whitney was going to destroy the vocal portion of the assignment. "Call You Tonight" is fantastic. I think it could've been a big hit for her.

Whitney's live renditions of "A Song for You" in the 90s were phenomenal.
                      It was Whitney's idea to put the french horns on ILFTB They made the song tbh. And yes to Call you Tonight, that should have been the lead single IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                        It was Whitney's idea to put the french horns on ILFTB They made the song tbh. And yes to Call you Tonight, that should have been the lead single IMO.
                        Oh, really? I didn't know. They're a brilliant touch indeed.

Comment

back to the count down!

60. I'm Knockin'
                          Is it jazz? Is it funk? Is it R&B? All I know is I like the sound of it.

59. Look Into Your Heart
                          Whitney recorded this song as a tribute to Curtis Mayfield, a singer, songwriter, guitarist, and record producer. Kudos to him!

Curtis Mayfield wrote this song for Whitney. He died in 1999.

58. If I Told You That (with George Michael)
                          Okay, this is much better than the solo version. Whitney and George nailed this one.

57. Who Do You Love
                          Songwriters: Luther Vandross (Why didn't you tell me?) and Hubert Eaves III.

"Whooooooooo do you love, love, love?"
                          ​​​​
                          56. You Give Good Love

This song was first offered to Roberta Flack. But record producer Kashif thought it would be a better fit for Whitney.

Comment

back to the countdown!

55. Greatest Love Of All
                            Clive Davis hated it. Whitney loved it. So she recorded it. Then it became a #1 song.

54. Count On Me (with Cece Winans)
                            Co-written by Whitney, this song is about friendship. The question is, which is harder to find? A true friend or a true lover?

53. Hold Me (with Teddy Pendergrass)
                            This was Whitney's first ever single of her career. It's also the reason why Houston was disqualified from consideration as Grammy Best New Artist of 1985...#JusticeForWhitney

52. Memories (with Dato' Siti Nurhaliza)
                            Now this is the most surprising yet. Whitney's solo version of Memories won't appear on this countdown. But a 2016 version featuring a Malaysian singer found its way here. I discovered this last year. And I couldn't believe that this song which is unknown to everyone could be turned into something wonderful! The tempo was perfectly adjusted. They also composed new lyrics for this song. As a music critic, I was impressed. Even the reactions on YouTube were positive. Unfortunately, this was not made available on any streaming platform. But you can listen to the audio/video on YouTube. Tell me what you think about it.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/m5gWD8Tjob8

"Nippy you are here with us forever
                            Reaching beyond where there is light.
                            I sing with you together in my heart."

51. My Love Is Your Love

Comment

IITYT is a smash. I love the version with George.
                              I think I read somewhere that she meant to record the song with Michael Jackson at the time. That would also have been very interesting.
                              Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Aside from her chartbusters and her string of 80s classics which is a long list on to itself; these have remained my favorites especially the dance mixes.
                                • My Love Is Your Love
                                • It’s Not Right But it’s okay
                                • Step by Step (Junior’s Mix)
                                • I’m Your Baby Tonight
                                • I Learned From The Best
                                • Same Script Different Cast
                                • Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
                                • Heartbreak Hotel
                                • I Didn’t Know My Own Strength
                                • I Have Nothing
                                • Love Will Save The Day

*My Name Is Not Susan has always been a guilty pleasure that I used to play on repeat.

*Higher Love definitely belongs any best of list, too

Comment

Gorgeous song list!
                                  Zeph!

Comment

Originally posted by nemospence View Post
                                    Gorgeous song list!
                                    Zeph!
                                    Thanks!

Totally forgot....No list would be complete without her anthem of anthems:
                                    Try It On My Own

Comment

Originally posted by Zeph View Post

Thanks!

Totally forgot....No list would be complete without her anthem of anthems:
                                      Try It On My Own
                                      You'll be very happy to know TIOMO's ranking here.
                                      Last edited by nemospence; Sat November 28, 2020, 08:17.

Comment

Let's have a recap of Whitney's enduring songs from fifty-one down to one hundred.

51-60
                                        My Love Is Your Love
                                        Memories (with Dato' Siti Nurhaliza)
                                        Hold Me (with Teddy Pendergrass)
                                        Count on Me (with Cece Winans)
                                        Greatest Love of All
                                        You Give Good Love
                                        Who Do You Love
                                        If I Told You That (with George Michael)
                                        Look Into Your Heart
                                        I'm Knockin'

61-70
                                        Higher Love (solo)
                                        A Song for You
                                        Takin' a Chance
                                        Hold Up the Light (with Cece Winans & Bebe Winans)
                                        I Got You
                                        Worth It
                                        My Love (feat. Bobby Brown)
                                        Anymore
                                        Somebody Bigger Than You and I (feat. Bobby Brown, Faith Evans, Johnny Hill, Monica, & Ralph Tresvant)
                                        Are You the Woman (with Kashif)

71-80
                                        I Belong to You
                                        Step by Step
                                        In My Business (feat. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott)
                                        Call You Tonight
                                        I Learned From the Best
                                        For the Love of You
                                        Someone for Me
                                        Take Good Care of My Heart (with Jermaine Jackson)
                                        Love Is a Contact Sport
                                        Never Give Up

81-90
                                        One of Those Days
                                        I Was Made to Love Him
                                        I Bow Out
                                        Get It Back
                                        He's All Over Me (with Shirley Caesar & the Georgia Mass Choir)
                                        If I Told You That (solo)
                                        Impossible/It's Possible (with Brandy)
                                        There's Music in You
                                        I Go to the Rock (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
                                        Joy to the World (with the Georgia Mass Choir)

91-100
                                        Hold on, Help Is on the Way (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
                                        You'll Never Stand Alone
                                        My Heart Is Calling
                                        Joy (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
                                        Why Does It Hurt so Bad
                                        Who Would Imagine a King
                                        Feels so Good
                                        If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful (with Jermaine Jackson)
                                        Just the Lonely Talking Again
                                        Shock Me (with Jermaine Jackson)

​​​​

Comment

Love your list! "Look Into Your Heart", "Call You Tonight", "Worth It", "Greatest Love Of All", so on.

I am wondering what songs are in your top 20.

Comment

"If I Told You That" is a bop. "You Give Good Love" is a bit simple for my liking, but it's grown on me over the years.

"Greatest Love of All" is one of her top classics! "Count on Me" is beautiful - true anything is tough to find! Oh my. "My Love Is Your Love" is flawless. It's the style of music I think Whitney always wanted to record and she looks angelic in its music video.

Comment

Whitney Houston's
                                              Fifty Enduring Songs Countdown

DECEMBER 1ST, 2020
                                              Last edited by nemospence; Sun November 29, 2020, 06:49.

Comment

Ryan Seacrest: " One Wish: The Holiday Album, please step forward. . . YOU ARE NOT PART OF THIS COUNTDOWN."

Ryan Seacrest: "The Star Spangled Banner, please step forward. . . YOU ARE ALSO NOT PART OF THIS COUNTDOWN."

Comment

Originally posted by nemospence View Post
                                                  back to our countdown!

75.I Learned From The Best
                                                  This is where the competition gets tough. Whitney Houston...The mic...Singing her heart out about her ex who made her tough. Written by every singer's songwriter, Diane Warren.

"Baby I learned the way to break a heart.
                                                  I learned from the best, I learned from you."

74. Call You Tonight
                                                  The first of the nine songs from I Look To You, her final album ( ), to appear in our list.

73. In My Business (feat. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott)

72. Step By Step​​​​​

71. I Belong To You
                                                  OMG THE HEX HECTOR/MAC QUAYLE REMIX of ILFTB IT'S STILL A BANGERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by basticasas View Post

OMG THE HEX HECTOR/MAC QUAYLE REMIX of ILFTB IT'S STILL A BANGERRRRRRRRRRRRRR
                                                    You seem to like remixes as well. I was thinking of compiling my own favorites too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X