Ray's favorite artists: Ariana Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At #1: Vision of Love

Anyone who knows me a little here on UKMIX won't be surprised that Vision of Love is my #1 song EVER by anyone. It's the first song I ever heard by Mariah. It was summer 1990 and and at jazz dance class my teacher played this song every week to teach a slow routine and I loved it more every week. The song went Top 10 here and the video was played a lot on TV. I had to know who this singer was and I read every article about "more than the new Whitney as she writes her own songs and can hit higher notes". I was a huge Whitney fan and those articles made me more interested and I bought Mariah's debut album. The rest is history.
    My childhood hasn't been easy and the lyrics of Vision of Love could be my struggle: prayed through the nights, felt so alone, suffered from alienation, carried the weight on my own, had to be strong, it took so long, still I believed...
    The arrangement is the best: the intro takes you to a different mood, like going into a trance, the beat drops and the lyrics pull me in, there is no standard pattern in this song, it just builds and builds to a climax like no other with several layers of her voice and the backing, a long note that goes everywhere, a stop and a never ending beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
    So when I got married, my husband and I each chose a song to be played at our wedding. Although Always Be My Baby was our song and Madonna was my #1 artist, there was only one song I just had to have played at our wedding and that was of course Vision of Love. We were the first male couple in our area to get married, so we were interviewed for the newspaper and I loved how they mentioned Vision of Love was played.

So here it is, treated me kind, sweet destiny, I had a vision of love and it was all that you turned out to be...

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

I guess without VOL there would be no GOAT so I have to give it credit there.
      Originally posted by abi on GOAT
      You know what? UKMIX really did wonders on this song for me.

I really went from not caring for this song at all to having this as my most played Mariah song of all time because of the constant mentions of this song from some of y'all here.

Comment

Coming up next. My #2 most streamed artist since November 2015: Madonna

Comment

#10 Ray of Light

Exactly 23 years ago today the Ray of Light album was released. I loved how Madonna finally released a song and album named after me.
          Although at the time I thought no song could match Frozen, I find myself listening to Ray of Light way more often. It's fun, it's upbeat, it's positive. Just wished she had a better video for such a great track.

Comment

I wish to see something from her 80s holy trinity albums ("Madonna" / "Like A Virgin" / "Like A Prayer") on the top of your top 10.

"Ray Of Light" is a contender for my least favourite mainstream album from 90s decade.
            I will give 0 / 10 for "Shanti/Ashtangi" (her worst song), "Nothing Really Matters" (her worst single) and the titled track.

My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Ray of Light really is one of Madonna's best. It almost doesn't sound like a Madonna song and on that note doesn't really sound like anything else - it stands out on its own in a good way. There's a 60s vibe to the melody, yet the production is so futuristic and pulsating. I can only imagine what a shock it was for people back in '98 to here a sound like this on the radio and then to find out it was Madonna.

Here in Sydney it has to be from my experience one of the songs I hear the most played on the radio from M and has one of my favourite lines in a song - "And I feel like I just got Home". Quite a simple line, but I think we can all relate with what a good feeling that is!

Ray of Light is my 11th most played Madonna song and never fails to put me in a good mood whenever I listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                Ray of Light really is one of Madonna's best. It almost doesn't sound like a Madonna song and on that note doesn't really sound like anything else - it stands out on its own in a good way. There's a 60s vibe to the melody, yet the production is so futuristic and pulsating. I can only imagine what a shock it was for people back in '98 to here a sound like this on the radio and then to find out it was Madonna.

Here in Sydney it has to be from my experience one of the songs I hear the most played on the radio from M and has one of my favourite lines in a song - "And I feel like I just got Home". Quite a simple line, but I think we can all relate with what a good feeling that is!

Ray of Light is my 11th most played Madonna song and never fails to put me in a good mood whenever I listen to it.
                You know ROL the song is a cover right?
                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post

You know ROL the song is a cover right?
                  It's only partly a cover though. Madonna reworked the lyrics, melody and the whole sound.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post

It's only partly a cover though. Madonna reworked the lyrics, melody and the whole sound.
                    I don't like the song regardless never did. Frozen , power of goodbye and other album tracks are far better to me.
                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

This is SUCH a great song. It gives me power, it is in my workout Playlist. I feel it is the core of the album, hence she named it after this song. That video though... could have been so much better, feels a bit lazy.

Concerning your top 10 I really hope to see different albums/eras on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey D.Luffy View Post
                        That video though... could have been so much better, feels a bit lazy.
                        I couldn't believe it won so many awards. It's one of my least favorite Madonna videos.

Comment

#9 Sorry

At first Get Together was my favorite song of the Confessions On A Dance Floor album, but today I go for Sorry. There are so many great songs on the album! Some of my other favorites are Forbidden Love, Let It Will Be, How High and Hung Up. I love how she speaks Dutch ("Ik ben droevig.") in the intro, although it doesn't mean I'm sorry, but it means I'm sad. Still, great anyway as there are so many languages and she chose Dutch to be one of them! I also love the PSB remix. The Pet Shop Boys really added something that fits so perfectly. Back in the day I made a medley of the PSB remix and the Pet Shop Boys song It's A Sin. They flow into each other so well! I worked at the local radio station for one year and used to play this medley during my show.

Comment

I adore Vision Of Love and The Roof. Emotions is great too as are all Mariah dance songs from the first 3 studio albums.

Those two Madonna songs are not among my favorites. "Ray Of Light" was always just alright for me, I used to adore "Sorry" but I guess I overplayed it. The "Sorry" video has to be one of Madonna's least thrilling ones
                            jio CHARTS NOW: 22/6/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post10651568

Comment

#8 Girl Gone Wild

My favorite song of the MDNA era along with Turn Up The Radio, Superstar, Love Spent and Masterpiece. This is a lot like the Madonna I fell in love with in the early days. It's catchy, upbeat, fun, sexy and mixes in religion.
                              While Ray of Light and Sorry are among my favorite songs, their videos are not. Girl Gone Wild however does go with one of my favorite videos. Madonna looks glamorous, sexy, shows great moves, is surrounded by hot dancers and plays with gender.
                              I wished she had gone with this as the lead single and had performed it at the Super Bowl. It would have had the success of Give Me All Your Luvin' (or maybe even more) and GMAYL would have flopped as the second or third single (or better: it should have never been released as a single). It's a shame that although GMAYL had some success, it made radio DJ's ignore the other songs that were released from MDNA.

Comment

#9 Sorry
                                I used to be obsessed with this. Nowadays I often don't care much for it. I really liked the whole theme of the COAD era with the songs blending into each other and I liked that Hung up video went straight into the Sorry video.

#8 Girl gone wild
                                Odd choice somehow. This was in my workout list a long time, but it lacked something. It was and is still catchy but it will never be a Madonna classic for me, that honor belongs to Love spent and Masterpiece from MDNA.

Comment

I hate "Girl Gone Wild" with a passion...
                                  jio CHARTS NOW: 22/6/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...8#post10651568

Comment

I've been meaning to catch up ! I love your top three for Mariah and I can completely see going with her debut. As I'm doing my countdown, I'm finding I almost always have to include the song that made me discover them!

As for Madonna, she has so many songs I like -will be interesting to see what's ahead, but Ray of Light is probably the only one of these I really listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                      I'm finding I almost always have to include the song that made me discover them!
                                      In the case of Madonna, I'm not sure which was THE song that made me discover her. Holiday was the first song I heard and loved (back in 1984). Then in 1985 it was Material Girl that really made me curious. But what made me a real fan was the album Like A Virgin that I bought in the summer of 1985.

It was hard to make a Madonna Top 10. I kept changing it. Holiday was in, Holiday was out. Like A Virgin... should that be in? It was hard to make up my mind. I'm probably going to speed up my Madonna Top 10 quicker than a ray of light or I'll regret not including Rescue Me or other great songs that were in my Top 10 last week, but not today and who knows which songs I would include next week...

Comment

#7 Nothing Fails

Why this was released as a double A-side with Love Profusion is beyond me. It deserved to be a sole A-side with a proper video. Such a great song. The choir really adds a bit of magic and for me it's the stand out track on American Life, which has other great songs as American Life, Hollywood, X-Static Process, Mother & Father, Love Profusion and Intervention.

Comment

Finally a great song!!! among Madonna's all-time best, I still can't comprehend how she wasted it as a little-known single without a music video.

Comment

#6 Bedtime Story

One of her best videos and obviously one of my favorite songs. Back in the day I recorded the video from TV and watched the VHS-tape soooo many times. I also bought the two cd-singles that you could put in a collector's "book". Really loved that. Not a big Björk fan, but this song is just brilliant. Let's get unconsious, honey...
                                            Other favorite songs from the Bedtime Stories album: Sanctuary, Love Tried To Welcome Me, Survival and of course the singles Secret, Take A Bow and Human Nature. Take A Bow was my favorite song at the time and I was thrilled when it was released as a single with such a brilliant video and I was sure it would become one of her biggest hits. To my surprise it only went to #1 in the US. Human Nature also had a great video. Great memories.

Comment

Nothing Fails isn't bad. Not a fan of the song Bedtime Story, but agree the video is incredible - she was really at the top of her game with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                                #6 Bedtime Story

One of her best videos and obviously one of my favorite songs. Back in the day I recorded the video from TV and watched the VHS-tape soooo many times. I also bought the two cd-singles that you could put in a collector's "book". Really loved that. Not a big Björk fan, but this song is just brilliant. Let's get unconsious, honey...
                                                Other favorite songs from the Bedtime Stories album: Sanctuary, Love Tried To Welcome Me, Survival and of course the singles Secret, Take A Bow and Human Nature. Take A Bow was my favorite song at the time and I was thrilled when it was released as a single with such a brilliant video and I was sure it would become one of her biggest hits. To my surprise it only went to #1 in the US. Human Nature also had a great video. Great memories.

The remix for the Brits is magnificent.

Comment

"Βedtıme Story" is great. I remember it sounded kinda odd on the album and I was surprised to see it released but even though it essentially was a disappointment chart-wise, it all made sense in Madonna's scheme of things in the end. It was a really great time when Madonna was collaborating with the cutting edge of music industry (Bjork) instead of who's hip like she does now. Not too keen on the remix she used for the Brits though (or the performance itself), this is my favorite remix of the song:

Comment

Nothing Fails and Love Profusion are my top 2 Madonna singles from 21st century.
                                                    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X