Ray's favorite artists: Ariana Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#5 Dear Jessie

Dear Jessie holds a lot of memories for me. The Like A Prayer album is one of her best albums ever IMO. I didn't think she could surpass the True Blue album, but back in the day I think she did just that with Like A Prayer. She had the gospel choir for Like A Prayer, the typical pop song with a strong Madonna for Express Yourself, the drama for Till Death Do Us Part, the vunerable for Promise To Try, the sweet sounds of True Blue in Cherish, the surprise of Dear Jessie, the classical touch in Oh Father, her soul in Keep It Together and the latin feel in Spanish Eyes.
    Back then I ran to the record store every time Madonna released a new single to buy the 12 inch or cd-single. This time I passed as there were no remixes, but it was my sister who bought it anyway as she loved the cover sleeve so much.
    Months before it was released as her fourth single here in Europe, I wrote a story about how I ended up in the video as I passed by when they were filming in a forest and I was to play one of the leprechauns as they needed one more. (A friend of mine even believed it actually happened for real when I let her read the story... ) I sent the story to Hitkrant (which back then was one of the most popular pop magazines here). They thought my story was too long, but then they decided to publish it anyway... in two parts!
    In the end of my story I was watching the video when it was released and was disappointed as it had cut all of the forest scenes and had replaced it for an animation video... You can believe how surprised I was when Dear Jessie really was released as a single and did have an animation video!
    It wasn't one of her biggest hits. How upset I was, when the Top 40 radio DJ had to play it and said he couldn't wait for Madonna to go back to releasing something more pop and dance...
    I love the lyrics about pink elephants, mermaids and leprechauns. It's very me. And the music, especially the middle part and end is so different than anything you usually hear on the radio, I LOVE it. A real gem that's often forgotten, even though Rollergirl had a hit with it too (in 1999).

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

#4 Dress You Up

It was hard chosing something from Like A Virgin as I love all the songs. Although Holiday was the first song I fell for, it was Material Girl that really made me interested. The extended version of Angel is one of my all time favorite remixes and Like A Virgin never grows old. Into The Groove, which was later added to the album, was my favorite song till True Blue was released.
      But today I'll go for Dress You Up as I'm always in the mood for it and never press skip when it comes on.

Comment

#3 La Isla Bonita

I was thrilled when Madonna released the True Blue album. I was expecting songs like Open Your Heart: sexy pop songs that she was known for. But what a surprise were sweet mid-tempo songs like La Isla Bonita and True Blue! I LOVED them (and still do). I was wondering if La Isla Bonita would be released as a single as it was so different for her and also in comparison of anything else that was in the charts. And then the Italian Micaela released the song as a single and had a hit with it... So glad Madonna released it anyway and got the bigger hit. We've passed over 30 years and it's so great to see it's still one of her most loved songs.
        I was not so happy with the video. I loved Madonna for her music AND for her videos: Borderline, Lucky Star, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Into The Groove, Papa Don't Preach, True Blue, Open Your Heart... and then she released the video for La Isla Bonita... I saw a grey street with Madonna wearing a boring white dress and no glamorous hair. Such a disappointment! I was thankful there were some better scenes later on in the video with Madonna in a stunning red dress dancing in a candlelit room. (The way I envisioned the video: Madonna dancing in a stunning dress on a beautiful colorful beach in the sun on a beautiful island.)

Comment

#2 True Blue

I just have to include two songs from the True Blue album as I love La Isla Bonita and True Blue soooo much. First time I listened to the True Blue album, I was so thrilled when I heard the song True Blue and wished really hard it would be a future single. So happy when it did get released and I loved the single remix as well as the 12 inch Color Mix. And above all: that sweet video. Learned the hand movements and performed this with my sister in my room. Still one of the sweetest songs Madonna ever wrote and recorded.

Comment

Cute story about Dear Jessie - I didn't realize that was released as a single anywhere. Looks like the 80s Madonna tracks are winning out over the other decades. Dress You Up is ok, but the three ahead I much more prefer. La Isla Boninta was a nice deviation for Madonna - it feels like she followed that Latin sound for a little while - I guess she still delves into once in awhile, considered that Medellin track on Madame X.

Pleased True Blue is so high - such a cute song. For years I didn't realize there was an actual video for it because MTV played a different one - turns out they held a contest to create a video for her and all that time they were playing the contest winner's video.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              Cute story about Dear Jessie - I didn't realize that was released as a single anywhere. Looks like the 80s Madonna tracks are winning out over the other decades. Dress You Up is ok, but the three ahead I much more prefer. La Isla Boninta was a nice deviation for Madonna - it feels like she followed that Latin sound for a little while - I guess she still delves into once in awhile, considered that Medellin track on Madame X.

Pleased True Blue is so high - such a cute song. For years I didn't realize there was an actual video for it because MTV played a different one - turns out they held a contest to create a video for her and all that time they were playing the contest winner's video.
              Here in Europe they played the actual True Blue video and I although I have heard the story about the contest video I have never seen it! Just went to YouTube to search for it. Gonna watch it later this week.

Dear Jessie was the fourth single of the Like A Prayer album here in Europe, while Oh Father was the fourth single in the USA.

Comment

#1 Vogue

I was having driving lessons and then I suddenly heard the radio DJ say they would premiere the first 30 seconds (could be a little more or less) of Madonna's new song Vogue. I was soooooo excited. My ears were glued to the radio and I was hoping my driving instructor would keep his mouth shut during the premiere of those first seconds of the song. I didn't dare say I loved Madonna and that this was very important to me. Luckily he didn't say much when they finally played the snippet.
                I loved the video so much. And that version is sooo much better than the single version (which they used to play on radio back then). I tried to learn every move and one day I went to a video booth in Amsterdam to make my own video, singing and dancing to Vogue. I even sent my video to Super Channel and they called me when they broadcast it. (You could send videos and they sometimes would air videos from viewers.)
                I love the video, I love the stunning performance at the Super Bowl, but the performance at the MTV-awards is beyond brilliant. I LOVE it.
                My colleagues know how much I love Madonna and whenever we have a party (how I miss those days during covid...) they always request a Madonna song. Vogue is always popular as they love to see me Vogue. Many children at school also know how to Vogue as I've taught many how to strike a pose.

Comment

Looks like the 80s Madonna tracks are winning out over the other decades.
                  Well, this was the time Madonna was everything to me. I bought every magazine, stuck everything in scrapbooks, had my room covered with everything that had Madonna's face on it. From towels to mirrors and pillows. Over 100 posters at the wall.
                  Made my own Madonna shows. Making up choreographies to EVERY song from 1982's Everybody to 1987's Spotlight and all the songs in between. I taught my sister all the steps and together we would perform them in my room for hours on end.
                  I would translate her songs into Dutch and made them rhyme and fit the melody.
                  When it was Madonna's birthday, I would hold a Madonna party with my sister and cousins and we played Madonna songs only, played a quiz to see who knew most about Madonna and would look videos and go through the scrapbooks.
                  My life was Madonna.
                  I would wear Madonna t-shirts and sweaters to school. One of the teachers once said: "Madonna is your religion." And yes, it was at that point.

So those first albums mean a lot to me.

Comment

Coming up next. My #3 most streamed artist since November 2015: Céline Dion

Back in 1988 I first heard of Celine Dion when she came out for Switzerland at Eurovision. I hoped she would win and I was at the edge of my seat when she won with just one point.
                    She had her first Top 40 hit here in 1991 with Where Does My Heart Beat Now and I loved it!
                    But it took till 1992 before I finally bought an album: celine dion. From then on, I bought every album I could get my hands on.
                    Last edited by RayRay; Thu March 4, 2021, 23:09.

Comment

#10 To Love You More

Such a great song that it's hard to believe that this was not a worldwide single release. Would have been a global smash. Stunning vocals and a beautiful violin made me overplay this song. If I hadn't overplayed it that much, it would easily be higher on my list.

Comment

Very underrated song, with a tremendous vocal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          Very underrated song, with a tremendous vocal.
                          I have the feeling they didn't really know how to give this a proper release as it fell in between two era's.

Comment

#9 It's Hard To Say Goodbye (duet with Paul Anka)

Another incredible song that never got the attention it should have gotten. Such a beautiful duet of two legendary singers. Celine has worked with legends like the Bee Gees and Barbra Streisand, but today I choose the duet with Paul Anka as my favorite. Next week it could be one of the other collabs as they are all incredible.

Comment

#8 Think Twice

Although Celine had several Top 40 hits in the Netherlands by 1995 (Where Does My Heart Beat Now, Beauty and the Beast, If You Asked Me To and The Power of Love), she wasn't a household name yet.

During the Christmas holidays of 1994 I was skipping through tv-channels and at a French channel I saw Celine... I couldn't believe what I saw. Lots of songs I didn't know! I thought that should mean there was a new album and I couldn't wait to get to the record store, but... it wasn't available here yet and I had to wait till February before The Colour Of My Love was finally available here.
                              I was especially really fond of Celine's version of The Power Of Love. I also enjoyed Misled a lot, so when it didn't reach the Top 40, I was a bit disappointed. And then she released Think Twice and I thought this was such a wrong choice as it was one of my least favorite songs on the album. And I was right (or wasn't I?), it failed to reach the Dutch and UK chart and hardly made any impact in the US.
                              Months later, something strange happened. Celine was in the UK for a concert and suddenly radio started to play Think Twice and it became a #1 hit. Next, it seemed every European country embraced the song and it went to #1 here as well.
                              She was on Top of the Pops several times with different clips and I finally fell in love with the song. It has been one of my favorite songs ever since.

Comment

#7 The Power of the Dream

I remember watching the Olympics (which I don't care for at all) just to see Celine perform. I couldn't sit down when Celine sang this anthem. I was standig in front of the tv and was thrilled to hear her sing this brand new song and loved everything about it: the power, the emotion, the lyrics, her voice, the choir... This is why I love Celine, all combined in one song.

Comment

#6 I'm Alive

It had been a few years since Celine released an album, but she was back sooner than I had expected, so this was a pleasant surprise. A New Day Has Come (Radio Remix) is almost as much a favorite of mine as I'm Alive. Both were Top 40 hits here and it was great to see Celine back on the charts. I also really loved Goodbye's The Saddest Word and was happy to see it being released as the third single.

Comment

#5 On Ne Change Pas

The first Celine CD I bought was 'celine dion' back in 1992. I loved it so much I bought her earlier albums, but none impressed me as much. But then she started to release other great albums like 'the colour of my love', 'D'eux' and 'Falling Into You'.
                                    D'eux was the first French album I really LOVED. And although it's still my favorite, S'il suffisait d'aimer comes close with great songs like On Ne Change Pas and Dans Un Autre Monde. Although I like Zora Sourit, I cannot understand why On Ne Change Pas wasn't released as the lead single. This song is so beautiful and timeless. Great lyrics and beautiful instrumentation. I never get tired of it.

Comment

#4 Encore Un Soir

My most streamed Celine song is Encore Un Soir. (I started streaming in 2015.) Such a beautiful song. I love the lyrics and although it's in French, it's one of the easier ones to sing along to.

Comment

#3 Je Sais Pas

Taken from one of my favorite albums: D'eux. So many great songs. Je Sais Pas is one of the songs that grabs me the most emotionally. Way more than the English version. Also, the production of the song is way more emotional than the English version. Don't know why they changed the instrumentation for the English version. This song is perfect like it is and shouldn't have been tempered with IMO.

Comment

Did I not comment on Vogue? Wow. That's a great #1 - I think I love it more knowing that she was giving some attention to the gay community at a time that wasn't popular to do. Everything about it is magical.

I'll be honest; I pretty much just know Celine's bigger singles and that's about it. I think whenever I get to Celine on my own thread it's going to be really basic. I thinkt he only ones I know are Think twice and Encore Un Soir and those are from people putting it on the countdowns I did.

Comment

Did I not comment on Vogue? Wow. That's a great #1 - I think I love it more knowing that she was giving some attention to the gay community at a time that wasn't popular to do. Everything about it is magical.

I'll be honest; I pretty much just know Celine's bigger singles and that's about it. I think whenever I get to Celine on my own thread it's going to be really basic. I thinkt he only ones I know are Think twice and Encore Un Soir and those are from people putting it on the countdowns I did.
                                            Think Twice was huge in Europe, but you're from the other side of the ocean, right? Great to hear you know Encore Un Soir.

To Love You More was big in the US when it comes to airplay. It reached #11 on the Radio Chart song which is great for a song that had no physical release.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Think Twice was huge in Europe, but you're from the other side of the ocean, right? Great to hear you know Encore Un Soir.

To Love You More was big in the US when it comes to airplay. It reached #11 on the Radio Chart song which is great for a song that had no physical release.
                                              Yeah her French music gets no play here of course, but I know Encore Un Soir from it coming up here on UKMix!

Comment

#2 I Love You, Goodbye

The "celine dion" album was the first Céline CD I bought. It's still my favorite album. It was hard to pick which one should make my Top 10, but for now this is the most beautiful sad love song I know. And what a beautiful voice!

Comment

#1 It's All Coming Back To Me Now

Jim Steinman has written some of my all time favorite songs like Air Supply's Making Love Out Of Nothing At All. So great to see Celine also took one of his songs into the spotlight. Her version is nothing but stunning.

Comment

Coming up next. My #4 most streamed artist since November 2015: Debbie Gibson

Back in April 1988 I first heard Miss Gibson on the radio. My sister had heard Shake Your Love and was sure I would love it. So I listened to the radio when the Top 40 come in to be certain I wouldn't miss it. And my sister was right: I LOVED the song.
                                                    When I got money for my birthday, just a few weeks later, I bought the Out of the Blue album and loved all the songs on first listen and still love all of them to this day. One of the best debut albums ever!
                                                    I have bought every album Debbie released since those early days and seeing she is my fourth most played artist, I still play her songs a lot and I am really looking forward to her new album that will be released later this year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X