Ray's favorite artists: Ariana Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#10 Will You Love Me Tomorrow

In 1995 Debbie released her Think With Your Heart album. Her first album after she left Atlantic and joined EMI. Although the album wasn't as pop as her first four albums, it was still typical Debbie, only much more the focus on her piano ballads. And although she played the piano and keyboards, she had great musicians who joined her as well as The London Session Orchestra, which gave the album a very mature sound.
    There is one song on the album she didn't write: Will You Love Me Tomorrow. It was originally recorded by singer/songwriter Carole King. Many of Carole's songs have been covered, but Debbie's version of Will You Love Me Tomorrow is my favorite by far.

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
      #1 It's All Coming Back To Me Now
      I was playing this one a lot this week. It's such a classic song that you can never really turn off when it comes on, no matter what.
      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Originally posted by bm08 View Post

I was playing this one a lot this week. It's such a classic song that you can never really turn off when it comes on, no matter what.
        Original by Pandora's Box is still the best IMO.

Comment

True. Love to belt along with this one.

Originally posted by Metalweb View Post

Original by Pandora's Box is still the best IMO.
          OMG! It pales in comparison IMO.

Comment

#9 Girls Night Out

Girls Night Out was my most played song of 2019. So happy Debbie still makes great music. Really looking forward to her new album that is coming this year.

Comment

#8 Naturally

After Think With Your Heart Debbie left EMI and released her Deborah album on her own label Espiritu Records and changed her stage name Debbie to her real name Deborah. The album was released in 1997 and remains one of my all time favorite Gibson albums with songs as Naturally, Where I Wanna Be, Just Wasn't Love, Butterflies Are Free, Only Words and Cry Tonight.

Comment

#7 We Could Be Together

This single from the Electric Youth album has always been one of my favorite videos. Love the fun vibe and Debbie looks great.

Comment

#6 Electric Youth

Another single from the Electric Youth album: the title song itself. Great choreography, great song to dance to, great message. Love it!

Comment

#5 No More Rhyme

Though Electric Youth is not my favorite Debbie album, here's another one of the album's hit singles to make my list of favorite songs. It was her last Top 20 hit on the Billboard HOT 100.

Comment

#4 Out of the Blue

Back in 1988 Out of the Blue was the first Debbie Gibson CD I bought. My sister made me aware of Shake Your Love (which was her first Top 40 hit here) and I loved it right there and then. It made me buy the album and it's one of my most played albums EVER. The title song is so much fun and cheerful, it always lifts me up. Love it!

Comment

#3 Losin' Myself

Such a sexy song. It's Debbie's Justify My Love, her That's The Way Love Goes. Should have been just as big and gone to #1. In the USA it was the lead single of her fourth album: Body Mind Soul. Although still very much being Debbie, it showed a way more mature sound compared to her first three albums. Still, somehow radio didn't give her the credit she deserved and it meant no more big hits.

Comment

#3 Losin' Myself

Such a sexy song. It's Debbie's Justify My Love, her That's The Way Love Goes. Should have been just as big and gone to #1. In the USA it was the lead single of her fourth album: Body Mind Soul. Although still very much being Debbie, it showed a way more mature sound compared to her first three albums. Still, somehow radio didn't give her the credit she deserved and it meant no more big
                          OK, I'm feeling this one! I remember at the time entertainment magazine shows like ET being scandalized that she played a stripper but she was a fully grown woman at that point plus she kept it classy. This should have at least been an Adult Contemporary hit
                          The sands of time fade into dark
                          Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                          A message to madness
                          Feel music that's realness

Comment

Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post

OK, I'm feeling this one! I remember at the time entertainment magazine shows like ET being scandalized that she played a stripper but she was a fully grown woman at that point plus she kept it classy. This should have at least been an Adult Contemporary hit
                            I agree. I think she made a natural transition to being a grown woman. Shame how radio didn't take well on it. You would think Debbie could get away with it as Madonna's Justify My Love was already three years earlier.

Comment

#2 Anything Is Possible

Title song of her third album has such a positive message. It's one of my favorite lines: Anything is possible... if you put your mind to it!

Comment

#1 Foolish Beat

My favorite Debbie Gibson song: her record breaking #1 hit Foolish Beat. Giving her the record for the youngest person to write, produce and perform a number one single entirely on her own, at age 17.

Comment

I have quite a bit to catch up on! Let's start with the queen - the elusive chanteuse herself.
                                  • Caution - as I mentioned earlier, it's the sexiest MC song ever. One of the finest recordings of her career.
                                  • Bringin' on the Heartbreak - eh, this has grown on me, but 'Whisperiah' is not my favourite version of the Songbird Supreme.
                                  • Betcha Gon' Know - love the lyrics, great story, huge highlight from an underwhelming album.
                                  • The Roof - exquisite. If someone said this was the greatest song in music history, I wouldn't fight them on it...largely because that someone would probably be me.
                                  • Underneath the Stars - good, but not among my personal MC faves.
                                  • Almost Home - interesting inclusion! Among her pantheon of stunners, I don't know if this has a place, but it's an 'ordinary' good one.
                                  • I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time - cute story with your husband!
                                  • We Belong Together - lots to love about this song. I went out with a guy on Sunday and he played this on the way since he knows how much I love MC. He was trying to sing along and I asked him to let MC do the last part, since I cherish that final 14-second-long note so much.
                                  • Emotions - I actually don't like this as much as the fandom does, but who else could do this song justice? No one.
                                  • Vision of Love - aw, beautiful write-up. I think MC commands the level of devotion from the lambily that she has because the words she writes are so accessible and deeply relevant to the lives many of us have lived. This is a worthy #1.

And now on to the queen of pop!
                                  • Ray of Light - its parent album desperately needed a more uplifting, uptempo number and I'm glad this was it. I think it's kinda overrated, though I think its parent album is even moreso over-acclaimed.
                                  • Sorry - love this! Among her finest new millennium masterpieces.
                                  • Girl Gone Wild - epic intro, good song.
                                  • Nothing Fails - the choir is very "Like a Prayer". I like it. Certainly a highlight from its parent album.
                                  • Bedtime Story - this is meh. "Love Tried to Welcome Me" is my favourite non-single from Madge actually, so glad to know you appreciate that one.
                                  • Dear Jessie - haven't heard this one in ages. I need to revisit it.
                                  • Dress You Up - eh, this is okay.
                                  • La Isla Bonita - yeah, this is fantastic. Love the melody, love the lyrics, love the arrangement and her voice. This checks all the boxes.
                                  • True Blue - the unbridled euphoria. I live for it.
                                  • Vogue - one of the gayest anthems ever. Love it!

And now the greatest singer alive!
                                  • To Love You More - simple, but beautiful.
                                  • Think Twice - an oft-covered classic.
                                  • The Power of the Dream - ah, pleased to see someone rank this so high among Céline's finest. It's my favourite Olympic theme song. Love the power and the message.
                                  • I'm Alive - an essential midtempo gem in Céline's catalogue. I must say that I love "A New Day Has Come" even more, though.
                                  • Encore un soir - This song and its accompanying parent album came out around the time I was exploring learning French, so I definitely played it a good bit based on that alone. It is stunningly beautiful, too, though.
                                  • Je sais pas - I remember Wayne championing the D'eux album so I decided to check it out and was floored by how incredible Céline's voice sounded. This is one of my favourites from that LP.
                                  • It's All Coming Back to Me Now - when I did my all-time favourite songs countdown about eight years back, this ranked among my top 20. I think it encompasses everything about Céline I hold in high esteem - that thunderous instrument she has just letting rip on a big, emotional power ballad.

One Mo Gen exists sis.
                                  That one's cute, but not quite sitting in the VIP lounge with "Caution".
                                  UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [075-071]
                                  "Your Billboard Top Ten" Game: All-Time Top Scorers Countdown: [#3 revealed!]

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

Up next: my 5th most streamed artist since November 2015... It's Lara Fabian

My first memory of hearing Lara Fabian is when I bought the Canadian edition of the Disney soundtrack The Hunchback of Notre Dame back in 1996. It had a French version of God Help The Outcasts as a bonus track titled Que Dieu Aide Les Exclus. I loved it so much and fell in love with her voice. But although I loved the song (and even though I had some French CD's by Céline Dion), Lara singing in French withheld me from buying a whole Lara album. Then in 1999 I heard a radio commercial about Lara's first English album and I was so thrilled and just had to buy it straight away. Both my husband and I loved it so much that we decided we just had to have every album she had ever released.

Last edited by RayRay; Fri April 9, 2021, 22:23.

Comment

#10 Love By Grace

It was released as the fourth single from her English debut album. It's best known in Brazil as it was featured on the soundtrack of hit soap Laços de Família. I especially fell in love when Lara performed the song live on Dutch tv.

Comment

Coming up next. My #4 most streamed artist since November 2015: Debbie Gibson

Back in April 1988 I first heard Miss Gibson on the radio. My sister had heard Shake Your Love and was sure I would love it. So I listened to the radio when the Top 40 come in to be certain I wouldn't miss it. And my sister was right: I LOVED the song.
                                        When I got money for my birthday, just a few weeks later, I bought the Out of the Blue album and loved all the songs on first listen and still love all of them to this day. One of the best debut albums ever!
                                        I have bought every album Debbie released since those early days and seeing she is my fourth most played artist, I still play her songs a lot and I am really looking forward to her new album that will be released later this year.
                                        It's great to know that Debbie Gibson is one of your female favorite. And her songs Lost In Your Eyes and Foolish Beat were some of the songs I heard during my childhood. But it was her contemporary, Tiffany, who really piqued my music interest, thanks to her song All This Time, played several times on the radio. That song alone made me a fan of her unique, distinct voice. But Debbie Gibson cannot be denied of course. She simply made her own mark, not to mention she wrote and produced Foolish Beat, a #1 song! Upon checking, it's pretty amazing to know that both girls own a pair of #1 records!
                                        Last edited by nemospence; Sat April 10, 2021, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by nemospence View Post

It's great to know that Debbie Gibson is one of your female favorite. And her songs Lost In Your Eyes and Foolish Beat were some of the songs I heard during my childhood. But it was her contemporary, Tiffany, who really piqued my music interest, thanks to her song All This Time, played several times on the radio. That song alone made me a fan of her unique, distinct voice. But Debbie Gibson cannot be denied of course. She simply made her own mark, not to mention she wrote and produced Foolish Beat, a #1 song! Upon checking, it's pretty amazing to know that both girls own a pair of #1 records!
                                          I own Tiffany's first two albums, but although I Think We're Alone Now and Could've Been are among my all time favorite songs, to me she could never compete with Debbie Gibson. (All This Time is also a great song.)

Comment

I own Tiffany's first two albums, but although I Think We're Alone Now and Could've Been are among my all time favorite songs, to me she could never compete with Debbie Gibson. (All This Time is also a great song.)
                                            I came across Tiffany again some years ago. I love her song Hold an Old Friends hand !
                                            Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                            Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I came across Tiffany again some years ago. I love her song Hold an Old Friends hand !
                                              If I have to name just three favorite Tiffany songs:

1. Could've Been
                                              2. I Think We're Alone Now
                                              3. Hold An Old Friend's Hand

Comment

If I have to name just three favorite Tiffany songs:

1. Could've Been
                                                2. I Think We're Alone Now
                                                3. Hold An Old Friend's Hand
                                                I also love All this time. And this song too.

Thinking about her first album some of her lyrical themes were similar to Olivia Rodrigo.. like on Shouldve been me.. Couldve been.. and she was a similar age.
                                                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Feelings Of Forever is a great song too.

Don't understand why she went for a different sound from her third album onwards.

Comment

• #9 Comme Ils Disent

Originally by Charles Azanavour, who shocked the world in 1972 by singing about a gay man. Lara gives this song so much emotion, it's just one of my many favorite live performances by Lara.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X