004. Will & Grace - 19/20

003. Veep - 19/20

002. Game of Thrones - 20/20

001. RuPaul's Drag Race - 20/20

Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#55]
    Akini's Favourite Films: [40-36]
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [6 weeks]
    AlbumClash 2.0: [Beyoncé vs. Ari Lennox vs. Rina Sawayama]

Yeah, they smile to your face and Prop-8 you in the back.

Comment

Nice to see 'Will & Grace' and of course 'Game of Thrones'. Can't wait for 'House of the Dragon' to start!

Thanks for the great countdown, I really enjoyed it!

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
        Don't even get me started on that. Lionel is really my ideal guy, but Troy? Damn. One of the finest specimen of the male physique I've ever laid eyes on.
        I went to look him up again and thank you for improving my morning.

AI's replay value is pretty close to nil, but I will admit that those first eight seasons were thrilling competition TV. It was a show that my whole immediate family was invested in and those shocking eliminations would be conversation for weeks with friends, too.
        This is fair. I'd never rewatch any of those shows - they were really made to be watched live. The buzz on American Idol in those earlier years was incredible. It even outranked the Olympics if I recall. I had a couple friends where we could spend a half hour talking about it/ I think after five or six seasons, that kind of dissipated. I started to give up with the ninth season, as you note. The tenth season was the last one I watched. [QUOTE=JSparksFan;n10953930]

I think this speaks to the calibre of the series on the list. Glee was fantastic at its S3 best, but I actually stopped watching around S5. The show did a poor job of merging storylines with the 'old' and 'new' cast members.
        It did jump the shark once the original crew graduated. I realize they were all too old to play their characters, but they should have just stuck with them post-graduation instead of getting rid of characters and forcing people to get used to entire new cast. I also think Cory's death really furthered its demise.

I will forever associate Tiger King with the pandemic. That was the only thing on at the time that matched the insanity of the real world.
        Fair enough. It might be one of the luckiest timed shows ever - coming out right as the pandemic hit and in that month thatmost everyone agreed to stay home. I tried to give it a go, but I think after two or three episodes, I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to continue.

Hulu!
        That one's also on Hulu.
        Time to switch netflix for a while.

Is the first season good at least? I need something new to watch.
        Yes, the first season might be worth checking out. The lead character looks good shirtless at the very least.

Like the most annoying character ever?
        It wasn't really his character; it just felt he was so central to the show, or maybe that was the plan. But without him, there was a casting hole that they never really solved. I feel like that's why (the extremely hot) Rome Flynn was brought in, but that felt try-hard, as if they were acknowledging they had dug the hole

Might I have a spoiler in the works?
        Honestly, this was such cap that if it hadn't been #1, I knew I was dealing with serial killer imposter Akini Like, I would have been truly disappointed even if I've never watched one episode! As for the other four, W&G and Golden Girls def earn you LGBT+ cred - and Veep has been on my to-watch list for years, but I have never had HBO (which also means I haven't watched GoT, but less interest in that.)

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
          Nice to see 'Will & Grace' and of course 'Game of Thrones'. Can't wait for 'House of the Dragon' to start!

Thanks for the great countdown, I really enjoyed it!
          I'm looking forward to House of the Dragon, too!

Thanks for joining me for the ride!

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
          I went to look him up again and thank you for improving my morning.
          You're quite welcome.

This is fair. I'd never rewatch any of those shows - they were really made to be watched live. The buzz on American Idol in those earlier years was incredible. It even outranked the Olympics if I recall. I had a couple friends where we could spend a half hour talking about it/ I think after five or six seasons, that kind of dissipated. I started to give up with the ninth season, as you note. The tenth season was the last one I watched.
          I officially gave up after S12, which was the season Mariah and Nicki judged.

Fair enough. It might be one of the luckiest timed shows ever - coming out right as the pandemic hit and in that month thatmost everyone agreed to stay home. I tried to give it a go, but I think after two or three episodes, I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to continue.
          It's so wild, though. I love it.

Time to switch netflix for a while.

Yes, the first season might be worth checking out. The lead character looks good shirtless at the very least.
          Say less.

It wasn't really his character; it just felt he was so central to the show, or maybe that was the plan. But without him, there was a casting hole that they never really solved. I feel like that's why (the extremely hot) Rome Flynn was brought in, but that felt try-hard, as if they were acknowledging they had dug the hole
          I actually really enjoyed Wes's departure and I felt the show improved with him gone.

Honestly, this was such cap that if it hadn't been #1, I knew I was dealing with serial killer imposter Akini Like, I would have been truly disappointed even if I've never watched one episode! As for the other four, W&G and Golden Girls def earn you LGBT+ cred - and Veep has been on my to-watch list for years, but I have never had HBO (which also means I haven't watched GoT, but less interest in that.)
          Yeah, Drag Race has low-key taken over my life. With it US, AS, Canada, Spain, France, Celebrity, and Down Under versions, I think there's only been a week or two this whole year without a new episode to watch!

I grew up watching Golden Girls with my mom, so that's always kinda been our show. I still think W&G is underrated for just how unbelievably funny it is at its best. Veep, at one point in time, was free to view on Amazon Prime, but I just checked and that seems to no longer be the case, sadly.

GoT was such a cultural phenomenon! I actually watched it as a 'dare' of sorts, to prove that there was no way it could be better than Scandal...then I ended up enjoying it more than any show ever, save one.

Comment

The Golden Girls and Will & Grace are also favorites of mine.
            Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
              The Golden Girls and Will & Grace are also favorites of mine.
              Quality taste!

Comment

Sorry I've been so AWOL for a few weeks so I need to catch up on this hot mess of a countdown.

#53: Superstore - I got into this during COVID and have such fond memories of it being a great show, America Ferrera does better in this than she does in Ugly Betty IMO. Sandra is legend. <3

#52: Family Guy - what a classic, it's gone the same way as The Simpsons though and has had a massive dip in quality. I don't think I've seen The Simpsons on your countdown, do I remember you saying you've never really watched it?

#46: Glee - honestly it slips down my list more as time passes. I will always hold fond memories of the show, the excitement to see what songs would be covered and who is singing them but the actual show was a damn mess. Suffered from poor writing, inconsistent characterisation and forcing plots around songs. I will be grateful for the music introduced me to though and it is still enjoyable on some level.

#42: Pokemon - childhood classic right there. I only ever watched the Kanto/Johto eras - after Brock and Misty left it never quite felt the same to me but it's iconic.

#34: Looking - I remember watching this but I don't remember enjoying it that much.

#29: Sex Education - ground-breaking, hilarious and I hope it ends with the next season because I can't see how it can go on much longer.

#28: Big Little Lies - S1 was iconic, S2 was decent if unnecessary and Meryl's wig was awful. Great show though.

#27: Queer As Folk - only seen certain scenes and they were very enjoyable.

#20: HTGAWM - I think I gave up on this in S2. I just found the characters too unlikeable. Very well acted show though.

#18 Mom - loved this, I think I never saw the last couple of seasons. It's weird how a show can be reshaped around another character and Alison Janney was great as Bonnie but Anna Faris was always overlooked which is a shame because she's a gifted comedic actor. I get why they evolved the show and wrote out her family but it was poorly executed IMO.

#12: Sense8 - I need to rewatch this soon as I have fond memories of it, the cinematography was fanastic (they could have dialled down the sex a little bit), but I love that it got a great send off.

#8: Desperate Housewives - classic, it hasn't aged well in some aspects but it was fantastic nonetheless.

#7: Big Bang Theory - really tried with this one but couldn't stand it.

#3: Veep - the second smartest comedy I've watched (after Arrested Development) but it's downright hilarious. Also there wasn't a bad season I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                  Sorry I've been so AWOL for a few weeks so I need to catch up on this hot mess of a countdown.
                  Thanks for playing catch-up!

#53: Superstore - I got into this during COVID and have such fond memories of it being a great show, America Ferrera does better in this than she does in Ugly Betty IMO. Sandra is legend. <3
                  Sandra is hilarious indeed, though Dina is my personal fave!

#52: Family Guy - what a classic, it's gone the same way as The Simpsons though and has had a massive dip in quality. I don't think I've seen The Simpsons on your countdown, do I remember you saying you've never really watched it?
                  Correct. I'd wanted to start from S1, but wasn't seeing it anywhere, so might have to start from S24, or whatever season it is I'm seeing on Hulu.

#46: Glee - honestly it slips down my list more as time passes. I will always hold fond memories of the show, the excitement to see what songs would be covered and who is singing them but the actual show was a damn mess. Suffered from poor writing, inconsistent characterisation and forcing plots around songs. I will be grateful for the music introduced me to though and it is still enjoyable on some level.
                  Yeah, Glee is a very 'of its time' kinda show. It was also super exciting at the time to see who the guest stars would be. The Britney episodes in particular generated so much hype!

#42: Pokemon - childhood classic right there. I only ever watched the Kanto/Johto eras - after Brock and Misty left it never quite felt the same to me but it's iconic.
                  I think I watched a bit past that point, but not too long past it.

#34: Looking - I remember watching this but I don't remember enjoying it that much.
                  Really? S2 is one of my favourite seasons from any TV show.

#29: Sex Education - ground-breaking, hilarious and I hope it ends with the next season because I can't see how it can go on much longer.
                  Yeah, one season more is probably all we need, but damn, it really is a fantastic series.

#28: Big Little Lies - S1 was iconic, S2 was decent if unnecessary and Meryl's wig was awful. Great show though.
                  I guess I'm in the gross minority of folks who prefer S2 to S1.

#27: Queer As Folk - only seen certain scenes and they were very enjoyable.

#20: HTGAWM - I think I gave up on this in S2. I just found the characters too unlikeable. Very well acted show though.
                  Ah, it actually really hit its stride in S2 for me.

#18 Mom - loved this, I think I never saw the last couple of seasons. It's weird how a show can be reshaped around another character and Alison Janney was great as Bonnie but Anna Faris was always overlooked which is a shame because she's a gifted comedic actor. I get why they evolved the show and wrote out her family but it was poorly executed IMO.
                  I disagree. I liked the show more with Anna Faris phased out. Bringing the supporting characters to the fore really lifted the quality of the series for me.

#12: Sense8 - I need to rewatch this soon as I have fond memories of it, the cinematography was fanastic (they could have dialled down the sex a little bit), but I love that it got a great send off.
                  On the bolded bit, I do not agree, but on the other points I do.

#8: Desperate Housewives - classic, it hasn't aged well in some aspects but it was fantastic nonetheless.
                  Totes agree.

#7: Big Bang Theory - really tried with this one but couldn't stand it.
                  Is this because of Sheldon?

#3: Veep - the second smartest comedy I've watched (after Arrested Development) but it's downright hilarious. Also there wasn't a bad season I don't think.
                  A lot of the time my sister and I are together, we just watch reruns of Veep and tbh, I never tire of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X