No announcement yet.

Akini's Favourite Music Videos: [#1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course Poker Face, and especially Princess Of China !! I like also Whitney Houston and P!nk
    https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...-first-edition

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
      Always loved Whitney's make-up and styling in that late 1990s era - impeccable
      Same and agreed!

Originally posted by vinnie65 View Post
      Of course Poker Face, and especially Princess Of China !! I like also Whitney Houston and P!nk
      Glad you appreciate those! Rihanna looks divine in "Princess of China".
      Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#1]
      Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2022: [#1]
      Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2022: [#1]
      Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2022: [#1]
      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Kill Bill
      AlbumClash 2.0: [SZA vs. Sam Smith]

"These gays, they're trying to murder me."

Comment

065. Childish Gambino: Feels Like Summer (2018) - 11/20

064. Beyoncé: Baby Boy (2003) - 11/20

063. Shania Twain: That Don't Impress Me Much (1998) - 11/20

062. Carrie Underwood: All-American Girl (2008) - 11/20

061. Lil Kim: How Many Licks? (2000) - 11/20

Comment

The video to 'That Don't Impress Me Much' is so iconic!

Comment

Shania with that print - it's iconic, clearly not everyone can pull this off, but so many tried.
            "Baby Boy" for me was peak Beyonce.
            Carrie's made all those cliches look quite sweet, most of the time the obvious american tropes become a punching bag in the music videos (like Holly Johnson's "Americanos" or Eurythmics' "The King And Queen Of America")
            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
              The video to 'That Don't Impress Me Much' is so iconic!
              It sure is!

Shania with that print - it's iconic, clearly not everyone can pull this off, but so many tried.
              "Baby Boy" for me was peak Beyonce.
              Carrie's made all those cliches look quite sweet, most of the time the obvious american tropes become a punching bag in the music videos (like Holly Johnson's "Americanos" or Eurythmics' "The King And Queen Of America")
              Oh, just watched those two videos. The songs themselves are pretty decent.

Comment

060. Beyoncé: Deja Vu (2006) - 11/20

059. Janet Jackson: Got 'til It's Gone (1997) - 11/20

058. Kanye West x Jay-Z x Nicki Minaj: Monster (2011) - 11/20

057. Janet Jackson: Together Again (1997) - 11/20

056. Madonna: Die Another Day (2002) - 11/20

Comment

"Die Another Day" still has one of the better Bond OST music videos, the very intensive/dynamic fencing part is my highlight.

Beyoncé: Deja Vu - the music video (and the song itself) would have been even greater if there was no Jay-Z , he always looks as if he had been dragged into the limelight and half-aslepp

Comment

I love the 'Die Another Day' video, it must have cost a fortune to make!

The 2 Janet Jackson videos are also great.

Comment

I like Die Another Day and Shania Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                        I refuse to fall behind
                        This outrageous and foolish claim - what hubris

Anyhow a comment about a few further in the countdown:

- I remember the whole narrative behind SAnctify was really cool. It makes me sad that the group disbanded following this excellent album because it's clear there was a vision.
                        - The Pleasure Principle is mesmerizing - Janet proving she doesn't even needed a team of choreographed dancers behind her, she can just use her reflections as a back-up instead
                        - Wow, that Lucky video brings back memories - I forgot how she had some epic story-telling videos (well, with one major exception that I expect to see way up on this list)
                        - INRBIO by Whitney! That 1999 album is a masterpiece and I'm so frustrated that her career tanked with the next album because this was the absolute right direction for her to take her music and this video also kind of modernized her.
                        - 911 has become the top track from Chromatica for me, I think. I find I return to that one far more than the other tracks. I think the video is part of it too - it's a much more interesting video than the other ones - and I kind of wish she had opened up with this video instead since there's more of a narrative to it. That ending summarizing the whole video is a great curveball. Oh I follow Sia Zami, the male model on Insta since it came out

Comment

"Die Another Day" still has one of the better Bond OST music videos, the very intensive/dynamic fencing part is my highlight.

Beyoncé: Deja Vu - the music video (and the song itself) would have been even greater if there was no Jay-Z , he always looks as if he had been dragged into the limelight and half-aslepp
                          I think I always like videos where that are multiple versions of the same person. Two Madonna's was a treat!

He does look that most times, but I think that's the 'look' men in hip/hop go for. A hard, hypermasculine kinda look.

I love the 'Die Another Day' video, it must have cost a fortune to make!

The 2 Janet Jackson videos are also great.
                          I've seen reports that "Die Another Day" video cost $6.1 million, the second-most-expensive video behind MJ and Janet's "Scream", which was allegedly $7 million.

I like Die Another Day and Shania Twain
                          Glad you like those two.

This outrageous and foolish claim - what hubris

Anyhow a comment about a few further in the countdown:

- I remember the whole narrative behind SAnctify was really cool. It makes me sad that the group disbanded following this excellent album because it's clear there was a vision.
                          - The Pleasure Principle is mesmerizing - Janet proving she doesn't even needed a team of choreographed dancers behind her, she can just use her reflections as a back-up instead
                          - Wow, that Lucky video brings back memories - I forgot how she had some epic story-telling videos (well, with one major exception that I expect to see way up on this list)
                          - INRBIO by Whitney! That 1999 album is a masterpiece and I'm so frustrated that her career tanked with the next album because this was the absolute right direction for her to take her music and this video also kind of modernized her.
                          - 911 has become the top track from Chromatica for me, I think. I find I return to that one far more than the other tracks. I think the video is part of it too - it's a much more interesting video than the other ones - and I kind of wish she had opened up with this video instead since there's more of a narrative to it. That ending summarizing the whole video is a great curveball. Oh I follow Sia Zami, the male model on Insta since it came out
                          - Hmm! I wonder what's the exception you're thinking of.
                          - My Love is Your Love (the album) was 1998, but I get ya! Totally agree about the music and video modernising her as well.

Comment

055. Trey Songz: SmartPhones (2014) - 12/20

054. Michael Jackson: Beat It (1983) - 12/20

053. Beyoncé: Formation (2016) - 12/20

052. Aaliyah: More Than a Woman (2001) - 12/20

051. Madonna: Justify My Love (1990) - 12/20

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                              - Hmm! I wonder what's the exception you're thinking of.
                              - My Love is Your Love (the album) was 1998, but I get ya! Totally agree about the music and video modernising her as well.
                              I'm going to keep you guessing

In my never-ending effort to catch up on your countdowns...

75 - OK? what? why is this one of your favorites? I mean the lazy song is cute but the video?
                              74 - You should link these haha I'm feeling the Lazy Song a bit much I think because I don't feel like pulling it up, but I've never seen HSM3, just the first two. Zac Efron is/was such a cutie, so on that alone, I approve.
                              73 - OH WOW, Poker Face feels so low to me, barely ahead of 911, but I guess she had much, much better to come. I know there's a couple further up this list I'm expecting to see.
                              71 - The video for Look What You Made Me Do actually made me like the song - I'm still not crazy about the lyrics of the song, but the video was so appealing I stanned. I love Taylor making fun of herself - I wish she would do it more, that last part of the video is great. Like I could watch a whole sitcom of those Taylors.
                              67 - It's beena minute since I've seen SexyBack - but I remember that's when I temporarily came around to Justin before I left him again. It's the only period I really liked his music, and he did look hot in this video.
                              66 - YESSSSS I love this video and song so much - it's my favorite track from that album, which seems to be an unpopular opinion, but in all of its remixes and original versions, it's a big Whitney fave.
                              65 - Ohhhh this Childish Gambino video is SO GREAT - and I love that it gets a shout-out. i remember watching it repeatedly trying to figure out all the cameos. I still think This is America is stunning (I'm imagining it will come up?), but this weirdly had the more repeatability of the two for me because there's so much to notice.
                              64 - I have a friend who swears Baby Boy is the best thing she's ever done, including the video, which is SO CAP, but it did help amp up my Beyhive membership (but for the record, I STANNED HER FROM THE GET-GO IN DC)
                              63 - Haha, another video I forgot about - all that's coming to me right now are her outlandish outfits which the screen-cap is helping remind me. Is there more to it?
                              62 - OMG, never watched All-American Girl and I love it Akini - such a sweet song. it made me think of Kobe saying how he proud he was to be a girl dad.
                              61 - I had to watch Lil Kim's video. i don't think I appreciated her as much back then - I thought she was too much of a bad girl But the video is fire.

OK, I'll stop there!

Comment

"Beat It" is one of those cases when I like both the official video and Weird Al Yankovic's parody ("Eat It")

Comment

I'm going to keep you guessing

In my never-ending effort to catch up on your countdowns...

75 - OK? what? why is this one of your favorites? I mean the lazy song is cute but the video?
                                  74 - You should link these haha I'm feeling the Lazy Song a bit much I think because I don't feel like pulling it up, but I've never seen HSM3, just the first two. Zac Efron is/was such a cutie, so on that alone, I approve.
                                  73 - OH WOW, Poker Face feels so low to me, barely ahead of 911, but I guess she had much, much better to come. I know there's a couple further up this list I'm expecting to see.
                                  71 - The video for Look What You Made Me Do actually made me like the song - I'm still not crazy about the lyrics of the song, but the video was so appealing I stanned. I love Taylor making fun of herself - I wish she would do it more, that last part of the video is great. Like I could watch a whole sitcom of those Taylors.
                                  67 - It's beena minute since I've seen SexyBack - but I remember that's when I temporarily came around to Justin before I left him again. It's the only period I really liked his music, and he did look hot in this video.
                                  66 - YESSSSS I love this video and song so much - it's my favorite track from that album, which seems to be an unpopular opinion, but in all of its remixes and original versions, it's a big Whitney fave.
                                  65 - Ohhhh this Childish Gambino video is SO GREAT - and I love that it gets a shout-out. i remember watching it repeatedly trying to figure out all the cameos. I still think This is America is stunning (I'm imagining it will come up?), but this weirdly had the more repeatability of the two for me because there's so much to notice.
                                  64 - I have a friend who swears Baby Boy is the best thing she's ever done, including the video, which is SO CAP, but it did help amp up my Beyhive membership (but for the record, I STANNED HER FROM THE GET-GO IN DC)
                                  63 - Haha, another video I forgot about - all that's coming to me right now are her outlandish outfits which the screen-cap is helping remind me. Is there more to it?
                                  62 - OMG, never watched All-American Girl and I love it Akini - such a sweet song. it made me think of Kobe saying how he proud he was to be a girl dad.
                                  61 - I had to watch Lil Kim's video. i don't think I appreciated her as much back then - I thought she was too much of a bad girl But the video is fire.

OK, I'll stop there!
                                  - Ah, "The Lazy Song" was the genesis of his infamous carrot dance so had to include it for that alone.
                                  - Zac has a cute/sexy moment with the tux fitting scene that I remember making an awakening-level impression on me at the time.
                                  - Yeah, I like when Taylor makes fun of herself, too. I think Eminem is still the best at that, though.
                                  - Yep, "SexyBack" is only included for the physical hotness. As a person, I dislike him so much that when presented with an indirect opportunity to meet him, I passed.
                                  - I think it's actually my sister's favourite non-gospel Whitney song.
                                  - Ah, I don't like the "This is America" video. Thought the song was crap too. Was quite confused (and disappointed) when it became a big hit.
                                  - Yeah, I was there with Bey from the start, too. "Baby Boy" as a fave Bey song is...a choice, but I do think people forget just how big it was. Isn't it still her longest-running US no. 1 or something crazy like that? Speaking of crazy, I think it was a bigger hit domestically than "Crazy in Love", though that seems to be the one everyone remembers from the era.
                                  - No, there's nothing more to it. Other than the cute guys she dismisses.
                                  - Yay at all the love for "All-American Girl". I feel like too many UKMixers sleep on the Idol graduates.
                                  - I think Lil Kim was my sister's favourite artist at one point in time so she was largely forced on me at an early age. That one's my favourite song from her, too, actually.

"Beat It" is one of those cases when I like both the official video and Weird Al Yankovic's parody ("Eat It")
                                  Ah, gotta check out the parody video later!

Comment

050. Lana Del Rey: Born to Die (2011) - 12/20

049. Toni Braxton: Un-Break My Heart (1996) - 12/20

048. Rihanna: Where Have You Been (2012) - 12/20

047. Janet Jackson: Alright (1990) - 12/20

046. Nicki Minaj: Super Bass (2011) - 12/20

Comment

The contrast between a borderline eerie feel of Lana Del Rey's music video and this cartoonish animated persona of Nicki Minaj is quite something.

Comment

The contrast between a borderline eerie feel of Lana Del Rey's music video and this cartoonish animated persona of Nicki Minaj is quite something.
                                        A sharp transition!

Comment

045. Cardi B + Megan Thee Stallion: WAP (2020) - 12/20

044. Kelly Rowland: Motivation (2011) - 12/20

043. Usher: Trading Places (2008) - 12/20

042. Little Mix: Sweet Melody (2020) - 12/20

041. David Guetta + Sia: Titanium (2011) - 12/20

Comment

Love the 'Titanium' music video, fits the song really well!

Comment

"Titanium" is great..."WAP" cinematography and aesthetic is actually very well-made and easy on the eye, Megan could have been an okay comedic actress (unlike Cardy )

Comment

BEAT IT, David Guetta & Rihanna are very great Videos

Comment

Love the 'Titanium' music video, fits the song really well!
                                                  Agreed.

"Titanium" is great..."WAP" cinematography and aesthetic is actually very well-made and easy on the eye, Megan could have been an okay comedic actress (unlike Cardy )
                                                  I disagree about Cardi!

BEAT IT, David Guetta & Rihanna are very great Videos
                                                  Glad you appreciate them!

Comment

040. Taylor Swift: You Belong with Me (2009) - 12/20

039. Rihanna: We Found Love (2011) - 12/20

038. Britney Spears: Slumber Party (2016) - 12/20

037. Rina Sawayama: XS (2020) - 12/20

036. Tank: Dirty (2019) - 12/20

Comment

Working...
                                                    X