Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending Sep. 19:
    • A week ago today, we hit 101 degrees, the highest temperature ever recorded for September, and two days later, we got snow, the second earliest ever. That whiplash of weather events kind of put a damper on the whole vibe Taylor's August gives, but it hangs in there to top for a fifth week, the longest of the year, and typing Lady Gaga for most cumulative weeks at #1 this year.
    • The top five remains basically the same this week, so the real drama is in the lower half of the top ten. It sees two songs climb in and two more debut; the second time this year we've seen two top ten debuts in the same week. One is by frequent visitor Janelle, who has a contender in Turntables, while Temples have never charted before, but came up with a gem in Paraphernalia.
    • At the bottom end of the chart, there are two more debuts - again, we have a first-timer and that is.. wait, this can't be right - Keith Urban? Nope, he's never charted! I guess he got me in a good moment with his rockabilly Tumbleweeds. And Troye Sivan debuts with Stud, which basically channels every emotion I've ever had when hooking up with a hot guy.
    Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
    LW TW Song - Artist Notes
    1 1 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
    2 2 What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
    3 3 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
    5 4 Say Something - Kylie Minogue
    4 5 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
    DE 6 Turntables - Janelle Monae
    13 7 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor Biggest Jump
    9 8 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
    DE 9 Paraphernalia - Temples
    13 10 Broke - Teddy Swims
    8 11 Natalie Don't - RAYE 1 week at #1
    10 12 Freak - Doja Cat
    16 13 Bang - AJR
    7 14 June Gloom - Allie X
    17 15 Mango - Sevana
    6 16 Find Your Way Back (MELO-X Remix) - Beyonce Biggest Drop
    14 17 Did It To Myself - Orla Gartland 3 weeks at #1
    DE 18 Tumbleweeds - Keith Urban
    18 19 Wake Up Romeo - Caro Emerald
    DE 20 Stud - Troye Sivan
    OFF THE CHART Waste of Lime - Ingrid Andress #5 peak
    Lockdown - Anderson.Paak ft JID, Noname, and Jay Rock #6 peak
    Preach -Saint Motel #7 peak
    What's Love Got To Do With It - Kygo ft. Tina Turner #10 peak
    September 2014 will go down as the month EDM exploded on my chart. SIX of the tracks in the top 10 that week were by DJs. That culminated in Bloesem not only becoming a rare instrumental #1, but managing to become the #1 song of the entire year! Do It Again managed to pop into the #1 spot for a week between that titan and another - Ariana Grande who belonged to the summer of 2014. She had five top two charting songs in 2014 and all of them made it to the year end top 40 - a record (I was certain Problem would be #1 for the year - but Sam Feldt edged her out),
    Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2014
    2 1 Do It Again - Royskopp & Robyn Only week at #1
    3 2 Bloesem - Sam Feldt & De Hofnar 4 weeks at #1
    1 3 Bang Bang - Ariana Grande, Jessie J, and Nicki Minaj 4 weeks at #1
    7 4 I Choose You - Sara Bareilles
    6 5 Koala - Oliver Heldens

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
      I think Tansike is doing survivors for both Smile and folklore in upcoming Survivors, so I'll tell him to tag you ;)
      Thanks <3 Tansike has a knack for securing the hosting rights to Survivors for my fave albums (and he always does a stellar job, so no complaints there).

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
      Most any week this year What's Your Pleasure would have been #1 - August has just been that strong.
      WYP is definitely interesting, with a funkier/groovier edge compared to 2020's other disco/dancey offerings - but I'm not shedding any tears over it getting blocked by "August."
      • I'm shedding an OCEAN'S worth of tears (of joy) over "August" becoming this year's longest-running No. 1, though!
      • "Turntables" has a lot great lines ("you gaslightin', 'bout to meet your match") and a very topical message, but the chorus doesn't hook me the way she did with "Americans," "Make Me Feel," "I Like That," etc (maybe because there's too much repetition of just one word?). Still rousing overall.
      • Did Hayley get her credit revoked?
      • I have NO doubt that you're a stud in the eyes of anyone lucky enough to hook up with you "Take Yourself Home" and "Rager Teenager!" didn't leave me with super-high hopes for the rest of Troye's EP ("Easy" was alright), but both "Stud" and the title track are very much worthwhile!
      Yet another chart that I love getting lost in, CT!
      last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
        WYP is definitely interesting, with a funkier/groovier edge compared to 2020's other disco/dancey offerings - but I'm not shedding any tears over it getting blocked by "August." [*]I'm shedding an OCEAN'S worth of tears (of joy) over "August" becoming this year's longest-running No. 1, though!
        I wouldn't either, haha. Taylor has been victim to unfortunate #2 placings herself - Blank Space and Lover among them! Jessie can give it another go this week.

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
        [*]"Turntables" has a lot great lines ("you gaslightin', 'bout to meet your match") and a very topical message, but the chorus doesn't hook me the way she did with "Americans," "Make Me Feel," "I Like That," etc (maybe because there's too much repetition of just one word?). Still rousing overall.
        OK, it's not Make Me Feel, (but pretty much nothing is ) but with the terrifying voter suppression that's being attempted among everything else, it's definitely a song I'll be finding solace in this election season.

[*]Did Hayley get her credit revoked?
        Yes She got the job done in bringing my attention to the song, but the original especially with that goofy video ended up captivating me more. Look at your eagle (phoenix?) eye catching that tho!

[*]I have NO doubt that you're a stud in the eyes of anyone lucky enough to hook up with you "Take Yourself Home" and "Rager Teenager!" didn't leave me with super-high hopes for the rest of Troye's EP ("Easy" was alright), but both "Stud" and the title track are very much worthwhile!
        Awwww I have to say I've been underwhelmed by Troye with this latest material, but Stud at least had relatable lyrics. I also like In a Dream, which bubbled under this week as well.

Yet another chart that I love getting lost in, CT!
        Come back soon

Comment

• It's sounding like Taylor's grip is slipping, but I'm quite impressed it's managed five weeks at #1 here! Hope its sterling chart run continues.

Your "Stud" descriptor prompted me to check out the track and it was so much more grungy than I expected. I wasn't expecting such distortion. I don't think it'll be a grower for me, but it's not awful.

I am, of course, pleased to see "Turntables". I think it's a great song and is a great anthem ahead of 11/3. Fingers crossed that the lesser of two evils prevails.

1 1 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
          3 3 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
          5 4 Say Something - Kylie Minogue
          4 5 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
          DE 6 Turntables - Janelle Monae
          13 7 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor Biggest Jump
          9 8 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
          8 11 Natalie Don't - RAYE 1 week at #1
          6 16 Find Your Way Back (MELO-X Remix) - Beyonce Biggest Drop
          14 17 Did It To Myself - Orla Gartland 3 weeks at #1
          DE 20 Stud - Troye Sivan

I might be wrong, but I feel like I read somewhere where she's responsible for the best performing gospel album with that Preacher's Album soundtrack.
          Yeah, I think you're right. If my memory serves me right, Whitney has the best-selling gospel album ever, is part of the best-selling soundtrack album ever, and at one point in time had the best-selling commercial single ever. It really breaks my heart how she achieved such astronomical success, and deservedly so, and things still went to shit. She deserved so much more.
          Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#2]

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
            It's sounding like Taylor's grip is slipping, but I'm quite impressed it's managed five weeks at #1 here! Hope its sterling chart run continues.
            It is, but yes it's been almost a year since a song hit 5 weeks (Tell Your Girlfriend), which is a big accomplishment in a year full or turnover!

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
            Your "Stud" descriptor prompted me to check out the track and it was so much more grungy than I expected. I wasn't expecting such distortion. I don't think it'll be a grower for me, but it's not awful.
            The mixture of insecurity and body positivity in the lyrics is really compelling to me. I'll say that Troye's initial offerings didn't grab me, but this one is relatable.

I am, of course, pleased to see "Turntables". I think it's a great song and is a great anthem ahead of 11/3. Fingers crossed that the lesser of two evils prevails.
            HEAVY HEAVY SIGH. I'm getting so skeptical of that happening, which of course increases the play of a song that I'm trying to derive some hope from...

Yeah, I think you're right. If my memory serves me right, Whitney has the best-selling gospel album ever, is part of the best-selling soundtrack album ever, and at one point in time had the best-selling commercial single ever. It really breaks my heart how she achieved such astronomical success, and deservedly so, and things still went to shit. She deserved so much more.
            I can't remember the name of the documentary I saw, but it had some revelations that are a little shocking to be believable. But what did feel believable was how I Will Always Love You's success just broke her - that it amplified her drug use. The downward spiral is one of the saddest music stories in my lifetime. One of my all-time favorites (I had a poster of her in my room when I was a kid.) and it's incredibly frustrating that she didn't get the help she needed.

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending Sep. 26:
              • Between the death of RBG, the voter suppression efforts, and the NFL polarization, it's been a dispiriting week for people hoping to see a shift in this country this election. It's hard not to feel powerless at the moment, but I'm finding solace in Turntables, which dethrones August after a lengthy #1 run.
              • We get four debuts for a second week in a row, though they all debut near the bottom of the chart. I don't think I was that slow to jump on Mood, but it seems to have skyrocketed on the Hot 100 already nevertheless. It's this week's highest debut and a first showing for both artists.
              • Beautiful Disaster debuts courtesy of Leo's lyric survivor, where it finished in the top three and was a great new discovery for me.
              Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
              6 1 Turntables - Janelle Monae 1 week at #1 / Biggest Jump
              1 3 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
              3 4 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
              7 5 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
              9 6 Paraphernalia - Temples
              4 7 Say Something - Kylie Minogue
              10 8 Broke - Teddy Swims
              8 9 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
              5 10 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
              13 11 Bang - AJR
              15 12 Mango - Sevana
              11 13 Natalie Don't - RAYE 1 week at #1
              18 14 Tumbleweeds - Keith Urban
              20 15 Stud - Troye Sivan
              DE 16 Mood - 24kGoldn ft. iann dior
              DE 17 Let's Love - David Guetta and Sia
              11 18 Freak - Doja Cat Biggest Drop
              DE 19 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
              DE 20 Beautiful Disaster - Roxen
              OFF THE CHART Did It To Myself - Orla Gartland #1 for 3 weeks
              Wake Up Romeo - Caro Emerald #2 peak
              Find Your Way Back (MELO-X Remix) - Beyonce #3 peak
              June Gloom - Allie X #7 peak
              Technically, Uma Thurman wasn't a Halloween playlist #1, but I added it that year midway through it's run, which made for a lengthier run at the top. It got added to the playlist because it bizarrely samples the theme song from the 60s tv show The Munsters. That prevented Good For You from hitting #1, but it still managed to make the year-end top 10. 2015 marks a shift in my chart when Spotify came into my life - that meant it was easier to explore other music and radio/Billboard started to lose influence on the list. You can see that more clearly with the other songs on this list, which were all discoveries.
              Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2015
              3 1 Uma Thurman - Fall Out Boy 1st of 5 weeks at #1
              5 2 Good For You - Selena Gomez
              4 3 Powerful - Major Lazer ft. Tarrus Riley and Ellie Goulding
              7 4 Blue Skies - Lenka
              1 5 Rumour Mill - Rudimental ft. Anne-Marie and Will Heard 2 weeks at #1

Comment

• I have only just noticed that Temples are doing so well. That's nice to see.
                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                  I have only just noticed that Temples are doing so well. That's nice to see.
                  I love it! It was a song that came up when I was considering entries for the tournament!

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending Oct. 3:
                    • Janelle easily holds the top spot this week, this time spurred by seeing Antebellum. My family knows about my Janelle obsession, so we all went in together on the premium showing of it online, and I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. I think there is a lot of potential in conflating modern-day events with the antebellum era, but the story was just ok. Janelle was great though, and of course, it meant more playtime for her.
                    • Gaga is almost assuredly moving into the top 10 next week since A) the video is fire, and B) (shameless plug) I'll be starting a Chromatica survivor this week. If she does, it will be her fourth album to generate four top tens following The Fame, The Fame Monster, and Born This Way. That will be a first. It's rare enough that albums generate four top tens, but only six artists have done it twice (Beyonce, Bonnie Raitt, Bruno Mars, Dua Lipa, and Nicki Minaj are the others), and only Bruno had also done it three times. You'll need to step up with your next album, Bruno!
                    Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
                    1 1 Turntables - Janelle Monae 2 weeks at #1
                    6 3 Paraphernalia - Temples
                    5 4 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
                    4 5 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
                    9 6 Broke - Teddy Swims
                    3 7 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
                    12 8 Mango - Sevana Biggest Jump
                    9 9 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
                    11 10 Bang - AJR
                    DE 11 911 - Lady Gaga
                    14 12 Tumbleweed - Keith Urban
                    16 13 Mood - 24kGoldn ft. iann dior
                    15 14 Stud - Troye Sivan
                    8 15 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
                    17 16 Let's Love - David Guetta and Sia
                    7 17 Say Something - Kylie Minogue Biggest Drop
                    19 18 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
                    20 19 Beautiful Disaster - Roxen
                    13 20 Natalie Don't - RAYE 1 week at #1
                    OFF THE CHART Freak - Doja Cat #10 peak
                    Wow, Perfect Illusion feels so much longer ago than just four years. I'm surprised it even made it to the top five, but that was probably due to me being that thirsty for something Gaga, no matter how good it was. While Joanne is not one of Gaga's four top ten albums, it did yield three, with Million Reasons and John Wayne to follow. The big song of this group is The Greatest, which ended up as the #2 song of the year. Sia was held out by... Sia, and of course that was the year Cheap Thrills topped the list. It's the only time an artist had both top two songs of the year.
                    Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2016
                    1 1 Cool Girl - Tove Lo 2nd of 2 weeks at #1
                    5 2 The Greatest - Sia 4 weeks at #1
                    2 3 Sing Me To Sleep - Alan Walker 1 week at #1
                    3 4 Move - Saint Motel
                    6 5 Perfect Illusion - Lady Gaga

Comment

• Will Jessie Ware get to the number one eventually....remains to be seen.

Comment

• I checked out "Tumbleweed" and it's okay.

Great to see "Turntables" earn a second week at #1!

1 1 Turntables - Janelle Monae 2 weeks at #1
                        6 3 Paraphernalia - Temples
                        5 4 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
                        4 5 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
                        3 7 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
                        9 9 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
                        DE 11 911 - Lady Gaga
                        14 12 Tumbleweed - Keith Urban
                        16 13 Mood - 24kGoldn ft. iann dior
                        15 14 Stud - Troye Sivan
                        8 15 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
                        7 17 Say Something - Kylie Minogue Biggest Drop
                        19 18 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
                        13 20 Natalie Don't - RAYE 1 week at #1

I can't remember the name of the documentary I saw, but it had some revelations that are a little shocking to be believable. But what did feel believable was how I Will Always Love You's success just broke her - that it amplified her drug use. The downward spiral is one of the saddest music stories in my lifetime. One of my all-time favorites (I had a poster of her in my room when I was a kid.) and it's incredibly frustrating that she didn't get the help she needed.
                        Yeah, sadly, she was surrounded by enablers and regular users, so the ingredients for disaster were all there. From reading Robyn's 'A Song for You' book, it does seem that Whitney suffered from low self-esteem and it's baffling how the greatest singer to have ever lived could have been grappling with that.

Comment

Will Jessie Ware get to the number one eventually....remains to be seen.
                          Poor Jessie - she got caught between two big songs - she should do well at year-end though.

Comment

I checked out "Tumbleweed" and it's okay.

Great to see "Turntables" earn a second week at #1!
                            We'll see how far Tumbleweed gets - maybe he just caught me in the right moment, but I do like the rockabilly edge to it. It moves up in the next chart. We'll see if Janelle hangs on without Antebellum to prop her up

Yeah, sadly, she was surrounded by enablers and regular users, so the ingredients for disaster were all there. From reading Robyn's 'A Song for You' book, it does seem that Whitney suffered from low self-esteem and it's baffling how the greatest singer to have ever lived could have been grappling with that.
                            Really, low self-esteem? Her documentary had some mentions of her feeling like she wasn't seen as "black enough," whatever that means. I think she got booed at a some awards show early in her career. I wonder if that was part of it.

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending Oct. 10:
                              • It's that time of year when the Halloween playlist rears its head and a couple songs debut and get a small boost from it. We'll see if it has much impact this year - honestly, current events are more horrifying than anything Halloween could conjure up, so my enthusiasm is more muted this time around.
                              • Janelle gets a third week at #1, which is a big step for her. In fact, it's her 2nd longest #1. Though it's her 7th time at the top, all her #1s spent two weeks at #1 except for Make Me Feel. Turntables is going to have to hold at #1 for the rest of the year if she wants to outpace that one, which is tied for most weeks at #1 at 13.
                              • Troye Sivan gets his ninth top ten. That's a high number for a male artist, though the most top tens overall is still a male artist - Eminem.
                              Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
                              1 1 Turntables - Janelle Monae 3 weeks at #1
                              3 2 Paraphernalia - Temples
                              2 3 What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
                              4 4 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
                              11 5 911 - Lady Gaga Biggest Jump
                              9 6 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
                              10 7 Bang - AJR
                              12 8 Tumbleweed - Keith Urban
                              13 9 Stud - Troye Sivan
                              7 10 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
                              13 11 Mood - 24kGoldn ft. iann dior
                              5 12 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
                              8 13 Mango - Sevana
                              16 14 Let's Love - David Guetta and Sia
                              15 15 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
                              17 16 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
                              6 17 Broke - Teddy Swims Biggest Drop
                              19 18 Beautiful Disaster - Roxen
                              DE 19 Giant - ZZ Ward
                              DE 20 Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann
                              OFF THE CHART Natalie Don't - RAYE #1 for 1 week
                              Say Something - Kylie Minogue #4 peak
                              Cardi B drops out of this week's top ten, but three years ago, she was flying high with her debut single. It's still her only #1, though she's made the top five several times since then. She was about to get pushed out of #1 by the top song of 2017, Feel It Still, a late breaking song that managed to stay at #1 into December. At the time, i t was about the rebellion that that was still felt nearly a year after the 2016 election, so it's a particularly timely song at the moment. I'll say much of 2017 saw me go my own direction from Billboard, but I believe all of these songs were also top ten hits on the Hot 100, a rarity in recent years.
                              Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2017
                              1 1 Bodak Yellow - Cardi B 2nd of 2 weeks at #1
                              5 2 Feel It Still - Portugal The Man 7 weeks at #1
                              4 3 Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift
                              3 4 New Rules - Dua Lipa
                              9 5 1-800-273-8255 - Logic ft. Alessia Cara & Khalid

Comment

• Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann - a really nice pop/rock song, quite 2000s

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                  OK, it's not Make Me Feel, (but pretty much nothing is ) but with the terrifying voter suppression that's being attempted among everything else, it's definitely a song I'll be finding solace in this election season.
                                  **Hug** I definitely feel that, but my mind's been drawn to more random song selections when seeking comfort and inspiration lately (Sophie Ellis-Bextor's "Mixed Up World," Rachel Platten's "Grace," etc). "OK Not To Be OK" is a more contemporary example, but it's not on the same level for me as "Turntables" has been for you.
                                  • On that note, a dampened enthusiasm for Halloween is extremely relatable. It's hard to get swept up in silly-spooky fun when there's genuinely bone-chilling headlines every day (or hour).
                                  • I'm getting slight SZA vibes from Teyana. "Lose Each Other" isn't a style that I've heard SZA tackle, but something about Teyana's delivery brings her to mind.
                                  • Congrats to Gaga and Troye for reaching those major thresholds! Can you jog my memory on Em's exact Top 10 tally?
                                  • Maggie hasn't crossed my mind in a hot minute, so seeing her name is a pleasant surprise! She scored a couple Paulboard hits with "Pretty Girl" and "Obsessed" back in 2017-2018. She's got a much rockier edge this time around!
                                  Yet another chart that turned my day around, CT!
                                  last.fm

Comment

Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann - a really nice pop/rock song, quite 2000s
                                    I was attracted to the lyrics for my playlist, but have enjoyed other songs by her in the past!

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending Oct. 17:
                                      • Turntables becomes the third song this year to last a month at the top, joining August and Do It.
                                      • Lady Gaga's Chromatica lands a 4th top three song from her album- she is the only person to do this more than once, and she's now done it three times. She's managed to have a top ten every year since 2008, and the only person who comes close to matching that is...
                                      • Sia, who also debuted back in 2008. Sia missed charting in 2010, but otherwise has had a top ten every year since then. It looked like 2020, would be a miss, but her collab with David Guetta helps continue the streak - she last appeared in the top 10 with Puppies Are Forever right at the beginning of last year. Check the retro section to find out about another streak Sia has at stake.
                                      • Going out with a uhm... bang is Bang, which drops from #7 off the chart. You'd have to go back to January when Whitney Houston dropped from #4 with a Xmas song to find a bigger drop off the list.
                                      Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
                                      1 1 Turntables - Janelle Monae 4 weeks at #1
                                      2 2 Paraphernalia - Temples
                                      5 3 911 - Lady Gaga
                                      6 4 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
                                      9 5 Stud - Troye Sivan Biggest Jump
                                      8 6 Tumbleweed - Keith Urban
                                      4 7 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
                                      3 8 What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware Biggest Drop
                                      11 9 Mood - 24kGoldn ft. iann dior
                                      14 10 Let's Love - David Guetta and Sia
                                      10 11 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
                                      12 12 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
                                      16 13 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
                                      13 14 Mango - Sevana
                                      18 15 Beautiful Disaster - Roxen
                                      20 16 Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann
                                      DE 17 Magic - Kylie Minogue
                                      15 18 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
                                      19 19 Giant - ZZ Ward
                                      DE 20 Funeral - Miguel
                                      OFF THE CHART Broke - Teddy Swims #6 peak
                                      Bang - AJR #7 peak
                                      Oh, look! Here's Gaga again - two years ago this week, she took a huge bounce to #1, and spent 6 weeks at the top. In both 2019 and 2020, that would have qualified for longest #1 of the year, but 2018 was a year of massive #1s and that only put her in third place - in first was current chart leader Janelle Monae, and in 2nd was Araiana Grande, who had just completed an 8 week run at the top with God Is a Woman.

Snatching a week at the top between these two titans was Thunderclouds, which at the time gave Sia four consecutive years in which she had a #1. She extended that to 2019, but it remains to be seen if she'll keep it going this year. It's currently the longest stretch of its kind, though the record for longest stretch ever goes to Coldplay who managed a #1 song every year from 2008 to 2014.
                                      Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2018
                                      8 1 Shallow - Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper 1st of 6 weeks at #1
                                      1 2 Thunderclouds - Labrinth, Sia, and Diplo 1 week at #1
                                      4 3 When I'm With Him - Empress Of
                                      2 4 God Is a Woman - Ariana Grande 8 weeks at #1
                                      3 5 Lucky You - Eminem ft. Joyner Lucas

Comment

• Great to see "Turntables" still at #1.

I just listened to "Funeral". Lyrically, I wasn't expecting it would be about what it was, but it wasn't bad.

"911" is getting dangerously close to the top.

1 1 Turntables - Janelle Monae 4 weeks at #1
                                        2 2 Paraphernalia - Temples
                                        5 3 911 - Lady Gaga
                                        6 4 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
                                        9 5 Stud - Troye Sivan Biggest Jump
                                        8 6 Tumbleweed - Keith Urban
                                        4 7 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
                                        3 8 What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware Biggest Drop
                                        11 9 Mood - 24kGoldn ft. iann dior
                                        10 11 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
                                        12 12 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
                                        16 13 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
                                        DE 17 Magic - Kylie Minogue
                                        15 18 Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
                                        DE 20 Funeral - Miguel

Really, low self-esteem? Her documentary had some mentions of her feeling like she wasn't seen as "black enough," whatever that means. I think she got booed at a some awards show early in her career. I wonder if that was part of it.
                                        She seemed to have had some qualms with her looks and from Robyn's book, it would seem that those insecurities filtered into what she was willing to accept from some of her relationships with men.

Comment

Great to see "Turntables" still at #1.

I just listened to "Funeral". Lyrically, I wasn't expecting it would be about what it was, but it wasn't bad.

"911" is getting dangerously close to the top.
                                          It's an emergency Between the video and the Survivor, 911 has definitely gotten a lot of reconsideration. We'll see if she can topple Janelle! As for Funeral, it came up as a thread here, and I checked it out - didn't realize he had released it last year, but is just now putting a video out for it - maybe he's redoubling his efforts towards an album - no idea. But I missed its 2019 release.

She seemed to have had some qualms with her looks and from Robyn's book, it would seem that those insecurities filtered into what she was willing to accept from some of her relationships with men.
                                          She was beautiful and stunning; can't believe she'd ever have a concern about her looks. Fame must really warp you inside.

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending Oct. 24:
                                            • Colorado's early voting is up by 2400%, people in Georgia are waiting the equivalent of a full workday in line to vote, and that kind of news feels like it could be soundtracked by Janelle's Turntables. Despite everything horrible about this year, I'm beginning ot be optimistic that the tables could really turn. Gaga had the early lead for #1, but Janelle edged her out by week's end, tying for longest run at the top this year.
                                            • The top five is pretty strong and doesn't budge too much, but we see some Halloween playlist effects further down the top ten as Ungodly Hour and Magic both take healthy jumps into the top ten. The majority of upward movements in songs this week can be attributed to the list.
                                            • All That manages to debut in the face of the Halloween playlist.
                                            Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
                                            1 1 Turntables - Janelle Monae 5 weeks at #1
                                            3 2 911 - Lady Gaga
                                            2 3 Paraphernalia - Temples
                                            4 4 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish
                                            5 5 Stud - Troye Sivan
                                            9 6 Mood - 24kGoldn ft. iann dior
                                            7 7 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
                                            10 8 Let's Love - David Guetta and Sia
                                            13 9 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
                                            17 10 Magic - Kylie Minogue Biggest Jump
                                            8 11 What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
                                            16 12 Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann
                                            6 13 Tumbleweed - Keith Urban Biggest Drop
                                            15 14 Beautiful Disaster - Roxen
                                            11 15 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
                                            20 16 Funeral - Miguel
                                            12 17 WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
                                            19 18 Giant - ZZ Ward
                                            14 19 Mango - Sevana
                                            DE 20 All That - Emotional Oranges ft. Channel Tres
                                            OFF THE CHART Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles #3 peak
                                            A year ago, the Halloween playlist was one of the strongest ever, with seven top ten entries by the time Halloween hit. Christina Aguilera got her biggest chart hit as a result - her first song to spend a month at the top. The lone hold-out in the top five was Taylor's Lover, which just missed out on #1 when Christina had leapfrogged over a couple weeks earlier. At that time, it was her biggest hit. Another rarity was that two songs from the playlist hit #1 that year, albeit Demons did so after Halloween was over.
                                            Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2019
                                            1 1 Haunted Heart - Christina Aguilera 3rd of 4 weeks at #1
                                            5 2 Demons - Hayley Kiyoko 1 week at #1
                                            2 3 All the Good Girls Go To Hell - Billie Eilish
                                            4 4 Lover - Taylor Swift
                                            10 5 Violence - Grimes and i-o

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending on Halloween!
                                              • Happy Halloween!
                                              • Samantha Fish ekes out a surprise #1, just barely edging out Janelle. Kill Or be Kind looked to be peaking in the lower half of the top 10 about a month ago, but it got renewed life thanks to the Halloween playlist and the resulting car karaokefest. It's the longest climb to #1 since Mariah Carey's Caution (which had to weather the holiday season to get its peak).
                                              • Never underestimate the power of the Halloween playlist! Ariana's decision to release during its peak play time means Positions is her first lead single to miss a top ten debut since Yours Truly. Adele made the same decision five years ago, debuting at #2 when she would have likely had a #1 debut almost any other week that year. I'm sure Ari will recover fine next week.
                                              Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
                                              4 1 Kill Or Be Kind - Samantha Fish 1 week at #1
                                              1 2 Turntables - Janelle Monae 5 weeks at #1
                                              2 3 911 - Lady Gaga
                                              9 4 Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle Biggest Jump
                                              5 5 Stud - Troye Sivan
                                              10 6 Magic - Kylie Minogue
                                              3 7 Paraphernalia - Temples
                                              7 8 Lose Each Other - Teyana Taylor
                                              6 9 Mood - 24KGoldn ft. iann dior
                                              11 10 Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann
                                              16 11 Funeral - Miguel
                                              DE 12 Positions - Ariana Grande
                                              14 13 Beautiful Disaster - Roxen
                                              12 14 What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
                                              DE 15 Pretending - Orla Gartland
                                              20 16 All That - Emotional Oranges ft. Channel Tres
                                              18 17 Giant - ZZ Ward
                                              8 18 Let's Love - David Guetta and Sia Biggest Drop
                                              15 19 August - Taylor Swift 5 weeks at #1
                                              19 20 Mango - Sevana
                                              OFF THE CHART WAP - Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion #3 peak
                                              Tumbleweed - Keith Urban #6 peak
                                              I was wondering if my first week ever would ever come up in the cycle and here it is! This week in 1997 marks when i started the chart. I was always a little annoyed that Christmas songs hardly ever dented the Hot 100, so it prompted me to create my own list - little did I know I would still be doing a chart in 2020! Unfortunately, most of the charts from the first six months are lost to time - I don't think it dawned on me to keep them as a record. Only one actual chart form 1997 actual remained (the final week of the year), but I do know what my first #1 was and while you'd think it was the Halloween playlist, that wouldn't actually come into being for a few years.

Instead, it was a different holiday playlist... perhaps watching jack Skellington had gotten me in the mood... This song had been out for years, but was formally released in 1997, and only someone in Colorado would care, but I love it.
                                              Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 1997
                                              N/A 1 Colorado Christmas - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 1st of 8 weeks at #1

Comment

• Surprisingly good number one.
                                                My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Everyone seems to have listened to "mood" except me.

Taylor Swift's "August" is a brilliant song. Thanks for reminding me about it.
                                                  See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                                    Surprisingly good number one.
                                                    She's had some concerts here, which is how I know Samantha Fish. Hadn't heard this song though and love it! I entered it in the FSC a few months (which you should do next month!) back and it just grew on me from there.

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                                    Everyone seems to have listened to "mood" except me.

Taylor Swift's "August" is a brilliant song. Thanks for reminding me about it.
                                                    Mood is so cute! It'll probably reverse course once Halloween passes. Akini's got August at #1 today! It's definitely one of my favorite tracks of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X