Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 - May 30, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sergejdordij98 View Post
    Nice to see "Break My Heart" at #1, the top 10 entry for "Hallucinate" and the debut for "Love Again"!
    Great chart!
    I've been obsessed with Future Nostalgia!

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending May 9:
      • Remixes are the bane of Dua Lipa's existence this week, as Nicki Minaj hopping on Say So boots the song just enough to prevent a rare top two reign.
      • Beyonce hopping on Savage results in a top ten debut which likewise prevents Dua from tripling up in the top ten. It's Beyonce 25th top ten appearance, putting her in third place behind Gaga and Eminem.
      • Along with Megan's debut, Rico Nasty appears at the bottom of the chart, making the first time four female rappers have charted at the same time.
      Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
      LW TW Song - Artist Notes
      1 1 Break My Heart - Dua Lipa 2 weeks at #1
      3 2 Say So - Doja Cat ft. Nicki Minaj 1 week at #1
      5 3 Hallucinate - Dua Lipa
      2 4 4 American Dollars - U.S. Girls 2 weeks at #1
      8 5 More - Electric Guest
      6 6 Hard to Forget - Sam Hunt
      10 7 A Good Song Never Dies - Saint Motel
      4 8 In Your Eyes - The Weeknd
      DE 9 Savage - Megan Thee Stallion ft. Beyonce
      12 10 Stained Glass - Madison Beer
      15 11 Love Again - Dua Lipa Biggest Jump
      7 12 Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows - Lenka
      16 13 I'm Coming - Tove Lo
      13 14 Never Let You Go - RAC, Matthew Koma, and Hillary Duff
      9 15 OCT 33 - Black Pumas Biggest Drop
      11 16 Give Me Another Chance - Empress Of
      DE 17 Supalonely - BENEE ft. Gus Dapperton
      DE 18 Nobody But You - Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton
      14 19 Please Don't Touch - RAYE
      DE 20 Stomp and Grind (partywithray Remix) - Grandma ft. Rico Nasty
      OFF THE CHART Stupid Love - Lady Gaga 3 weeks at #1
      Fkn Around - Phony Ppl ft. Megan Thee Stallion #13 peak
      Manic Monday - Billie Joe Armstron #19 peak
      Boyfriend - Selena Gomez #20 peak
      Wow, I love this top five - every song is a winner in my book. It Ain't Me ended up being my most played song of the year (but not my #1, which wouldn't show up for a few months). Lady Gaga's The Cure was a return to form for her - it ended up being her first #1 in nearly six years.

I was one week away from graduating with my master's degree when I posted this chart - it was a very happy time! Venus Fly ended up being #1 for my graduation week, mainly on the strength of Janelle Monae, who had left me thirsty for music. We'll see more of her in next week's retro.
      Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2017
      1 1 It Ain't Me - Kygo ft. Selena Gomez 3rd of 3 weeks at #1
      2 2 Body Like a Back Road - Sam Hunt
      3 3 The Cure - Lady Gaga 2 weeks at #1
      6 4 Venus Fly - Grimes ft. Janelle Monae 2 weeks at #1
      5 5 Symphony - Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson

Comment

• There are a lot of songs here with which I'm unfamiliar. I'll try to check a few of them out later. Nice to see both "Savage" and "Say So" charting. They're projected to be #1 and #2 in the US, respectively, next week, so I'm quite happy about that...even if I don't like "Savage" in any of its forms. Looks like I missed "Say So" at #1, but glad to see the remix giving it a bit of a rebound here.

1 1 Break My Heart - Dua Lipa 2 weeks at #1
        3 2 Say So - Doja Cat ft. Nicki Minaj 1 week at #1
        5 3 Hallucinate - Dua Lipa
        4 8 In Your Eyes - The Weeknd
        DE 9 Savage - Megan Thee Stallion ft. Beyonce
        15 11 Love Again - Dua Lipa Biggest Jump

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
        Say So is hanging in there this week too - it's a pretty tight top three - Say So has been such an enormous grower for me though. Over You finally fell off this week, but it had a really slow descent. I've been listening to a lot of music while on quarantine. There's a lot of music that deserves to chart right now, so I'm not sure how it will effect the charts coming up.
        Hmm...I think my scrobbles have fluctuated during quarantine. Some days I play a lot of music; other days, music takes a backseat to a Netflix series I'm binge-watching.
        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [135-131]

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
          There are a lot of songs here with which I'm unfamiliar. I'll try to check a few of them out later. Nice to see both "Savage" and "Say So" charting. They're projected to be #1 and #2 in the US, respectively, next week

Hmmm

Hmm...I think my scrobbles have fluctuated during quarantine. Some days I play a lot of music; other days, music takes a backseat to a Netflix series I'm binge-watching.
          Actually, this has been true for me too. A couple weeks ago, Boyfriend by Selena charted based on some curiosity listens - my listening has been seriously curtailed by my son being home because he's usually listening to his stuff in the same room, and so I just forgo my playlist. And I'm finding myself listening to a lot of older songs at the moment.

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending May 16:
            • While everyone awaits the results of the BB Hot 100 this week, I've weighed in my own as to which I streamed more. And yes, the Hot 100 was purely in mind, so we'll see if my top two take a hit next week. In any case, Say SO returns to #1, this time needing help from Nicki to do so. It's Nicki third time at #1 - she previously could be found at #1 as part of two trios - first with Bang Bang, and then with Truffle Butter. I've never had a #1 in which the artist listing changed in the midst of the run, so not sure how this will work in my database.
            • Megan the Stallion makes an impressive move with the help of the King, but like Perfect before it, doesn't quite get her all the way. Perfect hit #2 as well. It's Megan's first top five as Hot Girl Summer peaked last year just outside at #6.
            • It's rare enough two lead female rappers are together in the top 10, so I'm positive this is the first instance of them making up the top two.
            • As for syncing with BB, if these do end up the same top two as in Billboard, that might be the first time it's happened in over a decade! I'll edit this post when I discover when it last occurred. It hasn't in the last five years in any case.
            Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
            2 1 Say So - Doja Cat ft. Nicki Minaj 2 weeks at #1
            9 2 Savage - Megan Thee Stallion ft. Beyonce Biggest Jump
            1 3 Break My Heart - Dua Lipa 2 weeks at #1
            3 4 Hallucinate - Dua Lipa
            6 5 Hard to Forget - Sam Hunt
            4 6 4 American Dollars - U.S. Girls 2 weeks at #1
            10 7 Stained Glass - Madison Beer
            13 8 I'm Coming - Tove Lo
            5 9 More - Electric Guest
            7 10 A Good Song Never Dies - Saint Motel
            11 11 Love Again - Dua Lipa
            12 12 Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows - Lenka
            18 13 Nobody But You - Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton
            8 14 In Your Eyes - The Weeknd Biggest Drop
            20 15 Stomp and Grind (partywithray Remix) - Grandma ft. Rico Nasty
            17 16 Supalonely - BENEE ft. Gus Dapperton
            14 17 Never Let You Go - RAC, Matthew Koma, and Hillary Duff
            16 18 Give Me Another Chance - Empress Of
            DE 19 Stuck With U - Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber
            DE 20 Cinematix - Syn Cole
            OFF THE CHART OCT 33 #2 peak
            Please Don't Touch - RAYE #2 peak
            Well, those of you following two years ago know that I was in the midst of my Janelle obsession, which was in full bloom as the album has just come out two weeks earlier, which allowed Make Me Feel to cruise to a tie for all-time weeks at #1. Like Doja last week, Ariana Grande blocked a top two showing for Janelle, and with an incredibly strong song. No Tears would have been #1 probably virtually any other week, but had the misfortune to come up against the biggest song of the 2010s.

Meanwhile, the quality continued with High Horse at #4 - Kacey would have to wait until 2019 to get a #1 from her excellent Golden Hour album. All together these three women amassed fifteen top ten songs between 2018 and 2019.
            Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2018
            1 1 Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae 11th of 13 weeks at #1
            4 2 No Tears Left To Cry - Ariana Grande
            3 3 PYNK - Janelle Monae
            8 4 High Horse - Kacey Musgraves
            6 5 Love Is Gone - Gaby Moreno ft. Jonny P

Comment

• ...and it looks likt Billboard's Hot 100 just came out and this is indeed the first top two match since 2013 - when Blurred Lines and Get Lucky were my #1 and #2 for the week ending July 27th.

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending May 23:
                • After the remix battle last week, my stan-streaming dissipated afterwards, and Say So resumes its fall down the chart. Savage, being a newer entry, lost less steam.
                • But it's another impressive week for Dua, who returns to #1, and with Love Again's move gives her three songs in the top 10 at once - one of only a handful of artists to ever do so. The last to do so was Janelle Monae, who managed three in a row at #8, #9, and #10 the last week of August.
                • Remixes help create a first - four female rappers in the top 10 at once - thanks to the partywithray mix, Rico Nasty gets the biggest jump of the week, joining Doja and Nicki, along with Megan (and Bey if you want to count her).
                Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
                3 1 Break My Heart - Dua Lipa 3 weeks at #1
                5 2 Hard To Forget - Sam Hunt
                2 3 Savage - Megan Thee Stallion ft. Beyonce
                4 4 Hallucinate - Dua Lipa
                8 5 I'm Coming - Tove Lo
                1 6 Say So - Doja Cat ft. Nicki Minaj 2 weeks at #1
                10 7 Stained Glass - Madison Beer
                11 8 Love Again - Dua Lipa
                15 9 Stomp and Grind (partywithray Remix) - Grandma ft. Rico Nasty Biggest Jump
                6 10 4 American Dollars - U.S. Girls 2 weeks at #1
                9 11 More - Electric Guest
                10 12 A Good Song Never Dies - Saint Motel
                12 13 Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows - Lenka
                19 14 Stuck With U - Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber
                16 15 Supalonely - BENEE ft. Gus Dapperton
                14 16 Nobody But You - Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton
                13 17 In Your Eyes - The Weeknd
                20 18 Cinematix - Syn Cole
                DE 19 Hold Me Close - Sam Feldt and Ella Henderson
                17 20 Never Let You Go - RAC, Matthew Koma, and Hillary Duff
                OFF THE CHART Give Me Another Chance - Empress Of #6 peak
                A year ago, I was a week away from a trip to Europe - my playlist would break up the battle of the Billies that formed at the top of the chart. On the Hot 100, It was MIley's Dad that was triumphant most of the time, though a few months later Billie would manage to finally boot Old Town Road from a record-breaking #1 run. While in Europe, Jack Savoretti and Lolo would battle for the top.
                Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 2019
                1 1 Bad Guy - Billie Eilish 3rd of 3 weeks at #1
                2 2 Old Town Road - Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus
                5 3 Love is On the Line - Jack Savoretti
                9 4 Ride - Lolo Zouai 4 weeks at #1
                4 5 So Am I - Ava Max

Comment

• When is the 2005 flashback and will it correlate the way I’d like it to?
                  Originally posted by beredy

When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT, GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                    When is the 2005 flashback and will it correlate the way I’d like it to?
                    Not until July, but yes

Comment

• Really happy that "Say So"/"Savage" managed that 1-2 punch!

I just listened to "Hard to Forget" and it definitely caught me off-guard. There's that really old country-western song it interpolates, but then it has this kinda hip/hop-leaning edge that the cool kids in country music seem to be trying a lot these days (not sure if Florida Georgia Line popularised it, but I remember their song being the first time I noticed it). It's not a bad song.

3 1 Break My Heart - Dua Lipa 3 weeks at #1
                      5 2 Hard To Forget - Sam Hunt
                      2 3 Savage - Megan Thee Stallion ft. Beyonce
                      4 4 Hallucinate - Dua Lipa
                      8 5 I'm Coming - Tove Lo
                      1 6 Say So - Doja Cat ft. Nicki Minaj 2 weeks at #1
                      11 8 Love Again - Dua Lipa
                      19 14 Stuck With U - Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber
                      13 17 In Your Eyes - The Weeknd
                      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [135-131]

Comment

• Looks like Dua's the one breaking hearts with all this chart domination! The whole Top 10's becoming her own personal penthouse.
                        • For some reason, I thought Madison Beer's a country artist. Not sure who I might be confusing her with (or maybe it's just because of her last name) Either way, "Stained Glass" definitely isn't country!
                        • I love that Ari's dabbling in doo-wop/retro pop again, but "Stuck With U" just doesn't...well...stick with me. At all. I won't mind if it nabs her another Hot 100 No. 1, but it won't be managing that feat on Paulboard.
                        • Poor Ella really fell off the radar quickly after "Ghost" (granted, it probably didn't help that "Glow" and "Yours" felt like major steps down). "Hold Me Close" brings to mind some of Sigala's bouncy, summery, tropical singles.
                        Yet another chart that mends my heart, CT!
                        last.fm

Comment

• Woop for Tove.

Comment

• Not sure why it won't let me edit the quote tag so that looks proper

Comment

• Sorry for re-quoting you guys - I ended up deleting the other wack post because this thread was acting broken otherwise.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                              Really happy that "Say So"/"Savage" managed that 1-2 punch!

I just listened to "Hard to Forget" and it definitely caught me off-guard. There's that really old country-western song it interpolates, but then it has this kinda hip/hop-leaning edge that the cool kids in country music seem to be trying a lot these days (not sure if Florida Georgia Line popularised it, but I remember their song being the first time I noticed it). It's not a bad song.
                              Yay! I'm so glad you like it - I started listening to Sam because I think he's hot af But I do like his music - it's kind of off-country - and a running joke with me and trebor is my interest in Sam when trebor (our resident country expert) thinks he's complete trash and I want his children. This is my favorite off his new album.

Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                              [*]Looks like Dua's the one breaking hearts with all this chart domination! The whole Top 10's becoming her own personal penthouse.
                              She's been on repeat a lot! I don't seem to be getting tired of listening to her songs. I often listen to all three of those songs right in a row. I just realized that four years ago this week she was also #1 with her first song to chart Be The One - which until this week had been her most successful song, but I think Break My Heart will surpass it.

[*]For some reason, I thought Madison Beer's a country artist. Not sure who I might be confusing her with (or maybe it's just because of her last name) Either way, "Stained Glass" definitely isn't country!
                              Beer = country No, I actually don't know anything about her - she came up on my release radar at Spotify - she had another song called Good in Goodbye which I liked, but this one was just enough off-kilter to grab my attention and it's definitely a mood.

[*]I love that Ari's dabbling in doo-wop/retro pop again, but "Stuck With U" just doesn't...well...stick with me. At all. I won't mind if it nabs her another Hot 100 No. 1, but it won't be managing that feat on Paulboard.
                              I'm curious to see how it does on the Hot 100 today - this is only the fourth time I've ever charted Bieber - but lbr, he's only here because of Ari. I think it's growing on me, but we'll see if it continues to chart well.

[*]Poor Ella really fell off the radar quickly after "Ghost" (granted, it probably didn't help that "Glow" and "Yours" felt like major steps down). "Hold Me Close" brings to mind some of Sigala's bouncy, summery, tropical singles.
                              Yet another chart that mends my heart, CT!
                              Thanks for visiting Ella had a #1 with Ghost and showed up again on a song called Glitterball, and that was it for her on my chart, so this is just her third time. She can thank Sam Feldt, who is a regular on this list.

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                              Woop for Tove.
                              It's the first time I've charted her since 2017! I don't know why it doesn't get promoted more; it's one of the the best things I've heard from her. Its' her first top five since Cool Girl hit #1 in 2016.

Comment

• Chart Notes:

For the week ending May 30:
                                • A little delayed, but we see a rough week for Dua, who sees a downturn for all three songs on the chart. They all remain in the top ten for another week though. Dua falls from #1 after three weeks, which is still the longest run for 2020, and ties with Be The One as her longest running #1 (out of five).
                                • The crown goes to Sam Hunt, and is the lone top ten song without a woman on it. He's had seven top ten songs, but hes never reached the top before. That comes after Body Like a Back Road had to settle for five weeks at #2 back in 2017, the longest stay in that position without reaching #1.
                                • Two female duos debut this week when we already had Savage and Say So - what a time for superstar women! They both promise to make a huge dent on the chart - expect Do It to make a climb in the next chart, and well, Rain On Me is already there, with a huge top five debut - the third highest this year behind Godzilla (#4) and Stupid Love (#2).
                                • The Weeknd gets a slight jump, courtesy of a remix with Doja Cat.
                                Cheapthrills' Cheap 20
                                2 1 Hard To Forget - Sam Hunt 1 week at #1
                                5 2 I'm Coming - Tove Lo
                                3 3 Savage - Megan Thee Stallion ft. Beyonce
                                1 4 Break My Heart - Dua Lipa 3 weeks at #1
                                DE 5 Rain On Me - Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande
                                4 6 Hallucinate - Dua Lipa
                                7 7 Stained Glass - Madison Beer
                                9 8 Stomp and Grind (partywithray Remix) - Grandma ft. Rico Nasty
                                8 9 Love Again - Dua Lipa
                                6 10 Say So - Doja Cat ft. Nicki Minaj 2 weeks at #1
                                10 11 4 American Dollars - U.S. Girls 2 weeks at #1
                                15 12 Supalonely - BENEE ft. Gus Dapperton
                                17 13 In Your Eyes - The Weeknd ft. Doja Cat Biggest Jump
                                14 14 Stuck With U - Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber
                                19 15 Hold Me Close - Sam Feldt and Ella Henderson
                                DE 16 Do It - Chloe x Halle
                                18 17 Cinematix - Syn Cole
                                13 18 Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows - Lenka Biggest Drop
                                DE 19 War Drums - Shingai
                                DE 20 The Truth - Kygo ft. Valerie Broussard
                                OFF THE CHART More - Electric Guest #4 peak
                                A Good Song Never Dies - Saint Motel #7 peak
                                Never Let You Go - RAC, Matthew Koma, and Hillary Duff #13 peak
                                Nobody But You - Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton #14 peak

The Mummer's Dance - for about 20 years it held the record to itself for longest stay at #1 until Janelle tied her in the summer of 2018. All the other songs in this top five were held out of #1 by it and had to settle for #2 peaks Other than DMB, they all deserved a week at the top. Shania would have the highest peaking country song by a female until 2015, when Kacey Musgraves finally reached the summit. This was Bonnie Raitt's first song to chart -one of the most successful on this chart - she's had nearly 20 top 10 songs, and is in second place for most #1 songs, with 9 (She was tied with Eminem and Lady Gaga at the start of the year, but they have both hit #1 since.)

Cheapthrills' Retro 5 - 1998
                                1 1 The Mummer's Dance - Loreena McKennit 3rd of 13 weeks at #1
                                3 2 One Belief Away - Bonnie Raitt
                                2 3 Don't Drink the Water - Dave Matthews Band
                                7 4 Ghetto Supastar - Pras ft. ODB and Mya
                                5 5 You're Still the One - Shania Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                  She's been on repeat a lot! I don't seem to be getting tired of listening to her songs. I often listen to all three of those songs right in a row. I just realized that four years ago this week she was also #1 with her first song to chart Be The One - which until this week had been her most successful song, but I think Break My Heart will surpass it.
                                  I like the sound of that I see that BMH fell from No. 1, but hopefully it'll still manage a stronger overall run than BTO.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                  I'm curious to see how it does on the Hot 100 today - this is only the fourth time I've ever charted Bieber - but lbr, he's only here because of Ari. I think it's growing on me, but we'll see if it continues to chart well.
                                  I'm definitely not the world's biggest Belieber, but I'm surprised to learn he's only made three prior appearances here! Would you mind refreshing me on his CheapChart history? He's landed on Paulboard about a dozen times so far (as the lead), with three No. 1's to his name: "Never Let You Go" (which is kind of hilarious to listen to now, since he sounds like a completely different person), "Sorry," and "Love Yourself."
                                  • Ha, I appreciate Sam's wordplay/punny-side with "playin' hard to (for)get" I didn't realize this is his first album to drop since "Body Like A Backroad" blew up! Guess he was aiming for an era longer than Dua's debut era.
                                  • "I'm Coming" finally got added to Apple Music with the Sunshine Kitty re-release, so now I understand firsthand why it's done so well on several personal charts! Quite catchy, and I like the lnods to some of her early hits.
                                  • Beautiful debut for "Rain On Me." Hard to believe Chromatica is less than 12 hours away now!
                                  Yet another unforgettable chart, CT!
                                  last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                    I like the sound of that I see that BMH fell from No. 1, but hopefully it'll still manage a stronger overall run than BTO.
                                    We'll see! It started the week off strong but kind of faded at the end, especially once Rain On Me was released.

II'm definitely not the world's biggest Belieber, but I'm surprised to learn he's only made three prior appearances here! Would you mind refreshing me on his CheapChart history? He's landed on Paulboard about a dozen times so far (as the lead), with three No. 1's to his name: "Never Let You Go" (which is kind of hilarious to listen to now, since he sounds like a completely different person), "Sorry," and "Love Yourself."
                                    His four appearances are Boyfriend (#17)
                                    Sorry (#2)
                                    Despacito (#1)
                                    Stuck WIth U (#14)

[*]Ha, I appreciate Sam's wordplay/punny-side with "playin' hard to (for)get" I didn't realize this is his first album to drop since "Body Like A Backroad" blew up! Guess he was aiming for an era longer than Dua's debut era.
                                    Ridiculous, isn't it??? It was six years between albums - he went on hiatus for awhile there, and I guess he's back now. I think it was a huge mistake on his part, but maybe it was the only way we were going to get new music from him. I guess technically, he gets four top tens from one album, but like you said, it's a bit Dua-esque.

[*]"I'm Coming" finally got added to Apple Music with the Sunshine Kitty re-release, so now I understand firsthand why it's done so well on several personal charts! Quite catchy, and I like the lnods to some of her early hits.
                                    It's been such a grower. Every week, I'm thinking eh, I'm going to get tired of this, but I haven't. Best thing from her in years.

I[*]Beautiful debut for "Rain On Me." Hard to believe Chromatica is less than 12 hours away now!
                                    All these people on here who have already heard it because time zones I'm so jealous; but I am ready to check it tonight!
                                    [/LIST]Yet another unforgettable chart, CT!
                                    Thanks, CP I miss your chart

Comment

Working...
                                    X