No announcement yet.

Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue #2 + #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• both awesome songs, though I have to admit that I didn't really get "Slow" initially
    Last edited by heppolo; Wed July 31st, 2019, 20:39.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Slow is easily one of the highlight's of Kylie's career for me. I think it's for sure Top 3 material. Great pick!

EDIT: I only wish Body Language was just as bit off from the sound of electronic music back then and slightly experimental (for mainstream) as Slow was.
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
        both awesome song, though I have to admit that I didn't really get "Slow" initially
        I still don't get it. I only like it when she's doing it live. But I won't ever play it myself. It's too slow. ;-)
        My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
          My Kylie Top 10 (favorite songs):

10. Radio On

My Kylie Top 20 (most played):

01. Dancing
          02. Music's Too Sad Without You
          03. Stop Me From Falling (feat. Gente de Zona)
          04. A Lifetime To Repair (Edit)
          05. Sincerely Yours
          06. Radio On
          07. Raining Glitter
          08. Lost Without You
          09. Rollin'
          10. Shelby '68
          Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
          Your list(s) prove that Kylie already has so many great singles and songs under her beld.
          I'm glad that two of your favourite songs already made it into my Top 10. Let's see if more songs will appear.

I'm surprised to see "Radio On" being so high. That's a huge achievement for an album track from a record which isn't that well-received amongst diehard Kylie fans.
          Well, as you can see in my most played list: I LOVE the Golden album. It's my favorite Kylie album ever! So it's not really a surprise to see one of those songs in my favorite list as well. This time I chose Radio On, but it could easily have been one of the others. What I love about Radio On, which made me go for this one this time, it's always a joy to listen to. Some of the other songs, you have to be in a certain mood.

Comment

• Surprised to see "Dancing" this high! "Slow" is art!
            2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Slow is great, such a sexy song. And it even grew on me over the years. I think her performances of it are one of the reasons for it.

Where the wild roses grow is a nice song, but I don't come back to it so often. Maybe because it's a duet.
              I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• that duet was one of the first Kylie's crossover experiences with the indie scene as well as Nick Cave's pop ventures which resulted in this kind of awkward television promotion bits

Comment

• I remember seeing Roses for the first time on TV and I fell in love with this immediately! Actually I didn't even match Kylie from Locomotion era with "dark" and more mature Kylie - which is a good thing, I really hate 80s Kylie. I always skip those tracks when I listen to Step Back compilation.

I remember also that VIVA TV overplay this song to death even if it wasn't that successful in Germany I think.

I also remember I was shocked that "Slow" scored #1 in UK - Its probably her less catchy #1 ever
                  KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Serious question: does any of Dannii Minogue's singles stand a chance to make it into the hypothetical combined Kylie&Dannii all-time top 10?

Comment

Serious question: does any of Dannii Minogue's singles stand a chance to make it into the hypothetical combined Kylie&Dannii all-time top 10?
                      Simple answer: No.

I do like Dannii somehow but Kylie's career is way too hit-loaded and captivating... None of Dannii's tracks did ever have an impact on me (sadly).
                      Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

both awesome songs, though I have to admit that I didn't really get "Slow" initially
                        Thanks ;) - When I was younger, I didn't get "Slow" that much as well... but I loved it when it got played in the club and growing older, I appreciate everything about it. Also, her incredible live performances at the "Aphrodite" and "Kiss Me Once" tours made me adore it.

Originally posted by beredy View Post
                        Slow is easily one of the highlight's of Kylie's career for me. I think it's for sure Top 3 material. Great pick!

EDIT: I only wish Body Language was just as bit off from the sound of electronic music back then and slightly experimental (for mainstream) as Slow was.
                        Preach! Glad we can agree on "Slow". I agree! When I bought "Body Language" a few years after its initial release, I was a bit disappointed because "Slow" set the bar really high and the follow-up singles were great as well. Personally, I think that "X" was her first excellent album, imo, whilst she always had brilliant singles.

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                        I still don't get it. I only like it when she's doing it live. But I won't ever play it myself. It's too slow. ;-)
                        Pun intended? A pity you can't enjoy one of Kylie's career highlights. It took me a while to fully appreciate this track as well. Maybe it will still grow on you?

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                          Well, as you can see in my most played list: I LOVE the Golden album. It's my favorite Kylie album ever! So it's not really a surprise to see one of those songs in my favorite list as well. This time I chose Radio On, but it could easily have been one of the others. What I love about Radio On, which made me go for this one this time, it's always a joy to listen to. Some of the other songs, you have to be in a certain mood.
                          Wow! I wouldn't call "Golden" her best album but I'm glad that the record has huge fans like you. Personally, I think it's very underrated amongst Kylie fans and I think it's a great way of Kylie showcasing a different side of hers as well as gracefully growing old.

Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
                          Surprised to see "Dancing" this high! "Slow" is art!
                          I just love the meaning of the track as well as the song's production that much.
                          Glad you agree on "Slow", though ;) Thanks for comin' into this thread ;)

Originally posted by Erotica View Post
                          Slow is great, such a sexy song. And it even grew on me over the years. I think her performances of it are one of the reasons for it.

Where the wild roses grow is a nice song, but I don't come back to it so often. Maybe because it's a duet.
                          Yes! I'm glad you love "Slow" as well and I agree, the performances made me fall in love with the track as well.
                          Like "I'm A Slave 4 U", I didn't get this track when I was a kid.

One has to be in a certain mood to fully enjoy "Where The Wild Roses Grow". I love it that it's so risky. A huge milestone in Kylie's career.

Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                          I remember seeing Roses for the first time on TV and I fell in love with this immediately! Actually I didn't even match Kylie from Locomotion era with "dark" and more mature Kylie - which is a good thing, I really hate 80s Kylie. I always skip those tracks when I listen to Step Back compilation.

I remember also that VIVA TV overplay this song to death even if it wasn't that successful in Germany I think.

I also remember I was shocked that "Slow" scored #1 in UK - Its probably her less catchy #1 ever
                          Sadly, I was too young to have seen it on TV but I guess it must have been a wonderful experience as a music lover back then. I mean, the song as well as the music video was VERY risky for Kylie. Pretty sure it might have come across as very shocking and provocative to some people.

Despite not reaching a very impressive peak in Germany (#12 is still great, though), it was a huge hit, though, reaching #65 in the year-end chart of 1996.

Comment

that duet was one of the first Kylie's crossover experiences with the indie scene as well as Nick Cave's pop ventures which resulted in this kind of awkward television promotion bits
                            I think the reason what causes this awkwardness is that Kylie's persona is basically the opposite of Nick's.
                            She's so talkative, light, bright, lovely and charming whilst Nick doesn't seem to like being there at all.. even his attempt to warm up by saying that "not so funny" joke about penguins didn't help Thanks for posting, though!

Comment

• #2: "Confide In Me" (1994)

Actually, I haven't known about "Confide In Me"'s existence before buying "Ultimate Kylie" but the moment I heard it for the first time, the song's magic kept the captivated. WHAT A TRACK. I love it how the song's melody and Kylie's delicate voice harmonise and fits the song's lyrics (Kylie being manipulative trying people to confide in her). I love the electronic-orchestral intro as well as the slight Middle Eastern influences and its flirty yet mystical character.

Hurts covered this masterpiece and it's flawless as well:

Comment

• "Confide In Me" invented tumblr, as simple as that

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                  Simple answer: No.

I do like Dannii somehow but Kylie's career is way too hit-loaded and captivating... None of Dannii's tracks did ever have an impact on me (sadly).
                                  The more I think about it, "I Begin To Wonder" would have entered my combined top somewhere around 5th-6th place, it's just that good, it's probably the only one in terms of production that is up with Kylie's best.
                                  And in 1997 Dannii outdid Kylie chart-wise (crazy since the 90s had my favourite Kylie eras)

Comment

• #1: "All The Lovers" (2010)

The "Aphrodite" era has a special place in my heart because it's the first one which I experienced as a fan of Kylie's. As previously mentioned, I haven't been a huge fan before (apart from liking/loving most of her singles) but "Aphrodite" was the first album by Kylie I bought on the day of its release.
                                    When I heard "All The Lovers" the very first time, I was completely sold. The track is a pop masterpiece and gave me a "Hung Up"/Madonna moment. It was a clever idea to hire Stuart Price for this project because he helped Kylie to cement her status as a pop icon and evolve her sound (without leaving her territory). The song itself spreads a euphoric and uplfiting atmosphere and epitomes the essence of "Aphrodite" perfectly.

Btw, the music video was heavily criticised for including a kiss between two men and Russia even demanded a censored version but Kylie refused to get her art censored. What a Queen <3 - Sadly, the music video was banned in highly religious Asian countries. The world doesn't deserve her.

Mainshow goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

#1 All The Lovers
                                    #2 Confide In Me
                                    #3 Slow
                                    #4 Where The Wild Roses Grow (with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds)
                                    #5 Your Disco Needs You
                                    #6 Dancing
                                    #7 On A Night Like This
                                    #8 Timebomb
                                    #9 In Your Eyes
                                    #10 Flower

Thank you again for being part of my journey of rediscovering Kylie's impressive career! I hope you enjoyed this edition which was hit-driven but also included an underrated pearl of Kylie's discography ("Flower"). Thank you for all your comments!

Comment

• "All The Lovers" is a beautiful, dreamy and inspirational song (a tough feat to get all those features at once), but I always doubted its commercial appeal which is a necessity for the lead single. It's almost as if "Get Outta My Way" would have fared better chart-wise had it been the "Aphrodite" lead.

Comment

• Confide In Me - yes!

And All the Lovers is such an unexpected pick for #1, but I'm glad to see the love. It's an understated pop-perfection of a song.

Comment

• great #1. Never been a huge fan of this song, my-chart-wise either my-lastfm-wise. But in long term, I actually never been bored of it.

great countdown by the way.
                                          KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                            OMG!!!!!! I feel you! I am about to turn 27 later this week and I'm already "afraid" of getting closer to that 30 milestone. It makes you reflect on your life (not thinking about death or anything).
                                            Happy (belated) Birthday!! Hope it had you feeling fierce and mighty, like a golden boy, an Aphrodite (all right).

• OoOh, not the duet/collabo I was expecting! Admittedly, I don't re-visit "Where The Wild Roses Grow" often, but it's a great example of Kylie's artistic experimentation in the mid-to-late-90's, and shows just how far outside her previous sounds/styles she was willing to go.
                                            • Having become a Kylie fan during the Fever era, I remember being shocked and horrified when I logged onto her official site, heard "Slow" playing, and discovered that I was listening to the lead single from her next project I'd been expecting/hoping for Fever Part 2 (AKA more brilliant dance-pop gems), but "Slow" ventured into hypnotic, electro-pop territory instead. Over time, its more subtle charms grew on me in a big way, and it now stands as one of my favorite Kylie tracks too. I didn't know she's referred to it as her favorite song across her entire career, but it's a fitting pick!
                                            • Speaking of Kylie's experimental 90's eras from above, "Confide In Me" really kicked off that phase of her career with a stark contrast to her PWL material. Without a trace of upbeat pop, "Confide In Me" features that gorgeous mix of sweeping strings, almost spoken-vocal verses, and haunting, ballad-like chorus. Although I've struggled to appreciate some of Kylie's left-field choices over the years (like "2 Hearts"), "Confide In Me" proves how she can stray far away from pop/dance and still deliver something utterly stunning.
                                            • I remember first hearing the "All The Lovers" chorus when someone uploaded an extremely brief, low-quality video from the set of the song's music video on YouTube. As soon as I heard the way Kylie sang the word "loverRrs", I was HOOKED! I played that clip over and over again, eagerly anticipating the song in full, studio quality. "All The Lovers" went on to become my No. 1 hit of 2010, and remains her most-Scrobbled track on my last.fm. Fascinating trivia about the video censorship!

Such an absolutely fabulous countdown that did Kylie justice, Mainshow Thanks for taking us on this ride!
                                            last.fm

Comment

• Confide In Me is brilliant, but the video disappointed me. I had visions of Kylie in an eastern country with camels and exotic dancing...

All The Lovers is my all time favorite Kylie song. The video made me love it even more. Great to see it's your favorite as well.

Comment

• I wanted to see "2 Hearts" here.
                                                From your top 10 I don't like only one song (the winner)
                                                My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Comment

• "Timebomb" is a bop! It's the first Kylie single I experienced. Kylie is ageless in the video. "On a Night Like This" is classic Kylie. It's one of her songs that I adored on the first spin.

"Dancing" is okay, but "Raining Glitter" is the true star of that Golden album. "Your Disco Needs You" is the campest song ever...which automatically qualifies it as one of my all-time favourite anthems. I remember when Paul introduced me to it a few years back, it was #1 on my chart for 10 days straight.

"Where the Wild Roses Grow" is beautiful! I'm happy to see you included it here. "Slow" is okay. I was never crazy about it.

I find "Confide in Me" to be deeply therapeutic. It's one of those songs I can have on repeat for hours and just lose myself in. "All the Lovers" is similar, but even better. It's sleek, vulnerable, even a bit sexy. It represents Kylie's image and sound superbly, and makes for a great #1!

Great top 10!

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                                  I'm so glad that my countdown gave you the opportunity to discover a new track! That's awesome and thank you for checking out my #10 and #9 places of Kylie's singles! - Personally, I think that "Flower" is somehow Kylie's own "Someday (I Will Understand)" - both songs dealing with the desire of becoming a mother - in different ways - but both songs are personal, intimate and gentle. Both music videos being black/white might have helped to draw that conclusion, though.

Yeah, "In Your Eyes" is 100% Kylie sound. It's surprising that you didn't love it immediately.
                                                  Apt comparison! Kylie's song is actually pretty good, though.
                                                  Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [295-291]

Comment

• [MENTION=32891]Mainshow[/MENTION] where did you read Slow was Kylie's favorite song from her own catalogue?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X