No announcement yet.

Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue #2 + #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Not Myself Tonight" was enjoyable, sadly, it was just not Christina's time to shine.

"You Lost Me" is a great ballad, but one of her weakest singles ever.

Comment

Thank you for your comments, again! They are fully appreciated!

Originally posted by Erotica
      You lost me was the only song I did not like on the Bionic album, really weak. But I like Not myself tonight and the video too
      Oh really? - I think "You Lost Me" is so classy, timeless and tasteful and very beautiful. But I am glad you like the rest of the album ;) - "Bionic" is underrated.

Originally posted by Leychen
      Thanks to you Mainshow I started listening to more Christina lately. Bionic is actually a really good album, I'm surprised.
      Wow! That's pretty cool that you started to listen to Christina again thanks to my Countdown. It's nice to (re-)discover some discographies and I am very happy that we can do that together somehow. Hopefully, you'll like the next artist as well.

"Bionic" is indeed a very criminally underrated album. Of course, there are some tacky and shamelessly cringe-worthy uptempo tracks with sexual content but the ballads and the experimental tracks are Christina at her best!

Originally posted by stevyy
      those Bionic tracks are sublime and masterful. I love them. Why this album flopped, nobody knows. I love seeing the Bionic love. Bionic is like her Glitter... it is loved only by the hardcore fans despite being a truly amazing album which should be loved by the GP as well.
      I think that female pop artists are rather short-lived, sadly, Christina didn't deserve to flop that hard with "Bionic"; I love it that she combined experimental, retro, beautiful and fun tracks on the album. It's always a pleasure to listen to that criminally underrated album.

What's your favourite track taken from "Bionic"?

Originally posted by luckyONE
      "Oh Mother" is amazing! I adore it, it has always been one of my favorites.

"Dirrty" is a Xtina classic and an amazing track.

"You Lost Me" is THE song that made me lose interest in her.

I was obsessed with "Not Myself Tonight" back in 2010, it sounds very dated nowadays, though.
      I am glad you love one of her best songs ("Oh Mother") but I am shocked to hear that "You Lost Me" is the song which is responsible of Christna "losing you" (omg that pun); personally, I think it's one of her best songs. I love the way she sings "The Love is gone" and the "We-e-e-e--e-e-e-e-e--e- had magic", it gets me every time (and the backing and the piano <3) - Maybe she will win you back again. I just read she's about to release a new song for a soundtrack ;)

"Not Myself Tonight" is really dated but it's still fun to listen to, in my opinion, and it's kind of "timeless" in the way of not getting annoying or sounding "dated" like "guilty-pleasure-ish", it's like "Bubblegum-Pop" for me (best ear in pop music, btw)

Completely agree on "Dirrty", though ;)

I was obsessed with "Not Myself Tonight" back in 2010, it sounds very dated nowadays, though.
      I think it sounds good dated... the good kind of dated. It's still THAT song.
      Exactly! <3

Originally posted by JSparksFan
      "Oh Mother" is so, so sad. I actually find it difficult to listen to at times because of the overwhelming emotion, but it is a quality song through and through.

I've viewed "Dirrty" as a better version of "I'm a Slave 4 U" for some time. It's certainly one of Christina's finest uptempo cuts.

"You Lost Me" punches me right in the feels. The way her vocals flutter on the 'Cause we-e-e-e had magic, and this-es-es is tragic is just gut-wrenching. This is easily among her best songs, and probably my top Bionic track.

I still think "Not Myself Tonight" is terrific. I love its adventurous lyrics, the sensuality of the moans, the hot (literally and figuratively!) music video. It's her most underrated gem.
      Yes, the topic itself makes "Oh Mother" beautifully eerie and very unique and special and I can totally understand that it's not the same like with a party track or a feel good anthem. It sets a different tone and one has to be in a certain mood to fully appreciate this masterpiece.

You. Did. Not. Say. That. I love "Dirrty" but "I'm a Slave 4 U" >>>
      Maybe it's also because I consider (and I have never ever) Christina to not have the same oomph and sex appeal as Britney has/had (especially during their prime). Christina was more like an empowering woman and when she tried to be sexy and be considered to be a sex symbol ("Dirrty", "Not Myself Tonight"), it usally ended up being tacky and camp and way too much. "I'm a Slave 4 U" was way more subtle and brilliant, in my opinion.
      The songs were targeting different aims, though, I suppose.

You put the words right when it comes to "You Lost Me"! That's exactly how I feel about this track as well! Her vocals are top-notch and the way she evokes emotions is simply brilliant and I love the same parts of the song like you do!

I completely disagree with you on "Not Myself Tonight"'s music video and I am not a huge fan of most parts of the lyrics but it's undeniably freaking catchy and I love the production so much. It's just amazing to sing along and have fun while listening to this track (in my opinion). Actually, I did not want to place this track so high because of me not loving the lyrics or what the songs represents but damn, I simply love it.

Originally posted by Carbon
      You Lost Me is beautiful. Sia at her best when it comes to writing for others, it's visible she was actually inspired and trying back then as opposed to writing hits in 5 min while taking a dump

NMT is really lame and cringey with those lyrics and video, very unnecessary from her... but it's catchy
      Sia wrote this?! - I had no effing clue. I seriously think that Sia is lacking some inspiration at the moment but "You Lost Me" is clearly proof that Sia is genius and one of the best song-writeres out there!

I somehow feel the same about "Not Myself Tonight" but I just love it (thanks to its production, melody and being so effing catchy). It clearly killed her career, though.

Originally posted by Fan
      Hm, not impressed by either of these two I'm afraid. You Lost Me is a very boring one for me and Not Myself Tonight, which I liked upon release, sounds soo dated now.
      I hope you like the last three songs more ;)

Originally posted by GetBack
      "Not Myself Tonight" was enjoyable, sadly, it was just not Christina's time to shine.

"You Lost Me" is a great ballad, but one of her weakest singles ever.
      I think people were not there for Christina going all "slutty-dirry2.0-in-your-face", especially when she's the best when it comes to emotional ballads and empowering tracks.

I disagree with your comment on "You Lost Me" but I am glad you still call it "great", at least
      Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Not Myself Tonight doesn't get nearly enough love! Such an awesome song, I loved it.

Comment

#3: "Genie In A Bottle" (1999)

"Genie In A Bottle": The classic. The iconic.
          Since I'm a huge fan of Britney's, placing "Genie In A Bottle" that high may not be very surprising. There's no doubt that Christina's single got heavily inspired by the Bubblegum Pop sound carried by Britney, *Nsync, Backstreet Boys and others back in 1998/1999. Actually, when I was younger, I wanted this song to be part of Britney's discography and in fact, the song would have been a great addition to her first two album since it's freaking catchy and carries more or less hidden sexual content accompanied by lively imagery and a great choreography. Anyway, it's a Christina song and I absolutely adore it! I even bought the physical single in 1999 (the B sides are also worth listening).
          [youtube:pdv35l0l]kIDWgqDBNXA[/youtube:pdv35l0l]

Comment

Hated it for ages, didn't buy into the hype - hated how overrated her first two albums and eras were here.

But then a couple of years ago, with her best years behind her - I listened to it and for some reason, I've loved it ever since.

And these days, I think it's one of the greatest pop songs of the last 20 years - IMO, superior to anything Britney has ever released.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
              Hated it for ages, didn't buy into the hype - hated how overrated her first two albums and eras were here.

But then a couple of years ago, with her best years behind her - I listened to it and for some reason, I've loved it ever since.

And these days, I think it's one of the greatest pop songs of the last 20 years - IMO, superior to anything Britney has ever released.
              If you weren't a global moderator, I'd report this post of yours #outrageous

I heavily disagree, of course, but anway, I am glad that your way of regarding this track in particular has changed over time. Personally, I think "Genie In A Bottle" is a pop masterpiece: fun, catchy, but also vocally impressive and thoughtful. It doesn't deserve to be hated ;)

Btw, agree on your comment on "Not Myself Tonight" ;)

Comment

Ohh interesting build up to revealing your top 2.

The whole Bionic era didn't really do much for me. I still don't rate Not myself tonight very highly. It's an ok song but it had little replay value and it's probably been 7 years since i last listened to it.

Therefore i'd never heard You lost me until checking out that video. It's a nice enough song but it pales in comparison to my two absolute favourite Christina songs (which i'm hoping at least one of them makes your top 2 although both would be amazing).

Genie in a bottle is undoubtably a pop smash. Although like i've already posted it wasn't until Stripped came out that i really got into Christina's music.

Comment

I never really warmed up to early Christina and her songs, don't know why. Maybe it was the abundance of bubble gum pop back then.
                  I do however love Genie 2.0 haha

Comment

aww, i love Genie. Great pop evergreen.
                    My Chart

Comment

Genie in a bottle isn't one of my favourites
                      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP
                        Ohh interesting build up to revealing your top 2.

The whole Bionic era didn't really do much for me. I still don't rate Not myself tonight very highly. It's an ok song but it had little replay value and it's probably been 7 years since i last listened to it.

Therefore i'd never heard You lost me until checking out that video. It's a nice enough song but it pales in comparison to my two absolute favourite Christina songs (which i'm hoping at least one of them makes your top 2 although both would be amazing).

Genie in a bottle is undoubtably a pop smash. Although like i've already posted it wasn't until Stripped came out that i really got into Christina's music.
                        Thanks ;) - I thought that most people would think that "Genie In A Bottle" would be my #1 because it's a pop evergreen and similar to Britney's first singles.. so that I wanted to present the track alone - It is indeed a "pop smash" <3

Wow. "Not Myself Tonight" doesn't deserve to be getting dusty for over 7 years. You should listen to it again. It's quite underrated and I am glad that you discovered "You Lost Me" through this countdown. I hope that I will not let you down by choosing the "wrong" Top 2 (I've already mentioned that but I am realely curious to know which songs you are hinting at).

Originally posted by Leychen
                        I never really warmed up to early Christina and her songs, don't know why. Maybe it was the abundance of bubble gum pop back then.
                        I do however love Genie 2.0 haha
                        #BubblegumPop4ever - I am glad you like the electronic/oriental-influenced "Genie 2.0" (I also enjoy listening to it but it can't hold a candle to the iconic original xD)

aww, i love Genie. Great pop evergreen.
                        Agreed!

Genie in a bottle isn't one of my favourites

I think I will not make you happy with my Top 2 either :(

Comment

Not a big Aguilera fan but 'Genie' is great!
                          My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

#2: "Hurt" (2006)

"Hurt" has instantly become one of my favourite songs by Christina when I listened to it for the very first time. Personally, I think that this track is one of the saddest hits in the pop industry and again, Christina evokes the emotions perfectly by transfering them via her unique and very diverse voice to the audience. The piano, the strings and her sounding fragile and soft at the beginning when she sings "Seems like it was yesterday when I saw your face
                            You told me how proud you were but I walked away" gets me every time. And the song gets even better when it gets all melodramatic and super emotive during the bridge and the pre-chorus.

This song is an instant classic, brilliantly executed by bringing emotions like pain and guilt together and transform it into one of the greatest ballads of all-time.
                            [youtube:1krfwm26]wwCykGDEp7M[/youtube:1krfwm26]

Comment

Genie is great, Hurt is annoying and overrated! She has better ballads (You Lost Me, Blank Page, Bound to You, ...)
                              last.fm

Comment

another X-Tine classic. Her ballads are usually really good. This one is another example of that.
                                My Chart

Comment

#1: "We Remain" (2013)

And of course, a ballad sits on top of my favourite Christina Aguilera singles ever and SURPRISE, it's not the slightly overrated "Beautiful" which some of you might have expected to see on top since the track hasn't been part of my countdown. Don't get me wrong, I like "Beautiful" but I have never really loved that empowering schmaltzfest track.

Anyway, "We Remain" is my favourite Christina track ever, tbh.
                                  Released as the third single taken from the soundtrack of "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire", it sadly didn't set the charts on fire but I'd name it as a career highlight. Again, Christina goes the emotional route, presenting us soft and fragile moments but also a clear triumphant vibe which perfectly fits to the movie. The song's melody is simply beautiful and the lyrics depicted with great fire/water metaphors give me the ultimate listening experience. Christina ALWAYS shines on ballads and this criminally underrated track is no exception!
                                  [youtube:rbqewah7]_mll1XD7LzU[/youtube:rbqewah7]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainshow goes Diva: CHRISTINA AGUILERA

I want to thank you for all your comments and I hoped you liked the Top10 Christina Aguilera Countdown (even though my #1 is quite unpopular and shocking) & the first edition of "Mainshow Goes Diva". I hope you'll stick around and enjoy the upcoming female artist as much as Christina ;) - Here's my final Top 10:

Comment

absolutely love "Hurt" & its Video.
                                    Never heard of "We Remain", though.

Comment

we remain is fantastic. I didn't knew it before today. Checked it out and I love the drum production and the poppy sound. I would have never chosen it as my #1 Christina song. which only shows how diverse her catalogue is that many different people love many different songs.
                                      My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow
                                        Wow. "Not Myself Tonight" doesn't deserve to be getting dusty for over 7 years. You should listen to it again. It's quite underrated and I am glad that you discovered "You Lost Me" through this countdown. I hope that I will not let you down by choosing the "wrong" Top 2 (I've already mentioned that but I am realely curious to know which songs you are hinting at).
                                        YES Mainshow!

I absolutely love Hurts and it's my favourite Christina Aguilera song. It really is just so sublime and memorising. I still don't understand why this did so badly in the UK whilst it did so much better in other countries.

Ahh my very close second favourite is of course Beautiful. It might be a predictable choice but its a song a truly love so much. Even now when i listen to the song that middle part into the final chorus gives me goosebumps.

Quite shockingly i have no recollection of We remain at all. Still, my first new #1 of 2014 was Say something and that was pretty much all down to Christina's gorgeous vocals on the track. I'm so soft when it comes to emotional ballads.

Comment

"Genie in a Bottle" was a nice prelude to what would have been a stellar career, but it isn't half the beast "...Baby One More Time" is.

I hadn't heard "Hurt" in a while, then Tansike mentioned it was his favourite Christina song, which prompted me to revisit the song (and the entire Back to Basics album). It's just as amazing as it was the first time I fell for it. The song stands alone as a masterpiece, but the video is a great accompanying piece, too, and just adds to the excellence of the track. It definitely deserves to be this high.

Hmm...I like that you love "We Remain" so much because it really is criminally underrated; it deserved to be as big as "Say Something," but I guess that was never going to happen, but to not have "Beautiful" in your Top 10 feels criminal, too, so I'm conflicted. I mean, it is so totally you to come with such a left-field pick.

Solid Top 10, though. The exclusion of "Beautiful" does hurt a bit, though. :(
                                          Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [90-86]

Comment

Genie is a pop classic and definitely one of her highlights, so glad to see you ranked it this high. I remember I didn't really like it at very first (#teambritney), but it grew on me so fast as a young boy and I also bought the single

Hurt is a beaurtiful song, with a beautiful video as well. Don't think I have ever heard We Remain
                                            i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Comment

I did not expect We Remain to be #1, a good surprise, an underrated song, nice countdown.

Thanks for hosting this part.
                                              Whitney Houston

Comment

I like Hurt, really nice song. Back then I wasn't a big fan of it

I don't like We Remain though
                                                I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

I didn't remember this song at all, so I listened again, and still find it rather unremarkable. Odd #1 for my tastes, but I'm always glad when an underdog wins instead of predictable stuff like Beautiful
                                                  last.fm

Comment

Hurt is a beautiful - if overplayed - ballad.

I've never heard of We Remain before, just gave it a listen and I like it!

Comment

I totally forgot about "We Remain"! I need to listen to it again!

"Genie in a Bottle" is one of her best indeed!

Comment

absolutely love "Hurt" & its Video.
                                                        Never heard of "We Remain", though.
                                                        I'm glad you like my #2 and agree with me.

Have you listened to "We Remain" now? Do you like it?

we remain is fantastic. I didn't knew it before today. Checked it out and I love the drum production and the poppy sound. I would have never chosen it as my #1 Christina song. which only shows how diverse her catalogue is that many different people love many different songs.
                                                        #preach

I am glad I had the chance to introduce you to such a brilliant track and I agree, the drums are magical!
                                                        I know it's quite an unpopular choice, though, but I can't stop listening to it, it's too beautiful and yeah, Christina's catalogue is quite diverse ;) What's your #1?

Originally posted by JakeP
                                                        YES Mainshow!

I absolutely love Hurts and it's my favourite Christina Aguilera song. It really is just so sublime and memorising. I still don't understand why this did so badly in the UK whilst it did so much better in other countries.

Ahh my very close second favourite is of course Beautiful. It might be a predictable choice but its a song a truly love so much. Even now when i listen to the song that middle part into the final chorus gives me goosebumps.

Quite shockingly i have no recollection of We remain at all. Still, my first new #1 of 2014 was Say something and that was pretty much all down to Christina's gorgeous vocals on the track. I'm so soft when it comes to emotional ballads.
                                                        I am glad I could make you "partly" happy ;) - At least, I didn't get rid off your all-time favourite by Christina! - I had no clue it didn't perform that well in the UK Oo It was a huge and massive hit here in Germany (which is quite rare for a female pop ballad, tbh).

I can totally understand why people like "Beautiful", it's also the favourite Christina track of my mother but seriously, it's not my cup of tea at all, sadly.

Oh, but you knew that "We Remain" existed, right? - Personally, I love "Say Something". It's one of greatest songs ever, in my opinion, and it's one of only two songs which made my cry during my whole life. BUT I think I only listened to Christina's version twice and I didn't like it. I prefer the original, more fragile version (which suits the song's content so much!)

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                                        "Genie in a Bottle" was a nice prelude to what would have been a stellar career, but it isn't half the beast "...Baby One More Time" is.

I hadn't heard "Hurt" in a while, then Tansike mentioned it was his favourite Christina song, which prompted me to revisit the song (and the entire Back to Basics album). It's just as amazing as it was the first time I fell for it. The song stands alone as a masterpiece, but the video is a great accompanying piece, too, and just adds to the excellence of the track. It definitely deserves to be this high.

Hmm...I like that you love "We Remain" so much because it really is criminally underrated; it deserved to be as big as "Say Something," but I guess that was never going to happen, but to not have "Beautiful" in your Top 10 feels criminal, too, so I'm conflicted. I mean, it is so totally you to come with such a left-field pick.

Solid Top 10, though. The exclusion of "Beautiful" does hurt a bit, though. :(
                                                        We agree on "Genie In A Bottle", it's still a bubblegum pop evergreen, though ;)

I am glad Tansike was able to make you rediscover "Hurt" again. It's such a brilliant track, so mesmerising, beautiful and I agree, the accompanying music video is also worth watching! I am glad you like its position on my countdown!

Yeeeeees! "We Remain" doesn't deserve to be forgotten :( - I knew I would let you down with excluding "Beautiful" but honestly, I have never liked the track at all. It has grown on me over the years though, but it would nearly make my Top 15

Originally posted by Fan
                                                        Genie is a pop classic and definitely one of her highlights, so glad to see you ranked it this high. I remember I didn't really like it at very first (#teambritney), but it grew on me so fast as a young boy and I also bought the single

Hurt is a beaurtiful song, with a beautiful video as well. Don't think I have ever heard We Remain
                                                        #TeamBritney <3 - It's great to read we were kinda the same back then BUT I instantly loved "Genie In A Bottle", though ;)

Wow really? - Have you listened to "We Remain" now? Did you enjoy it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nippian93
                                                          I did not expect We Remain to be #1, a good surprise, an underrated song, nice countdown.

Thanks for hosting this part.
                                                          Thank you! - I am glad you took your time to make a comment and check it out! - I love "We Remain" so much! It is criminally underrated ;) I am glad I was able to surprise you, though ;)

I like Hurt, really nice song. Back then I wasn't a big fan of it

I don't like We Remain though
                                                          Great that "Hurt" was able to improve on you ;)

Originally posted by Carbon
                                                          I didn't remember this song at all, so I listened again, and still find it rather unremarkable. Odd #1 for my tastes, but I'm always glad when an underdog wins instead of predictable stuff like Beautiful
                                                          Oh really? Unremarkable? It had a huge and lasting impression on me after the first listen but I knew it's an unpopular choice, "an underdog" ;) I am glad that you like it that I was able to come up with a little suprise. - I hope you like the next artist as well ;)

Originally posted by Wayne
                                                          Hurt is a beautiful - if overplayed - ballad.

I've never heard of We Remain before, just gave it a listen and I like it!
                                                          Since I try to avoid TV programmes and radio stations, I never had the impression of "Hurt" being overplayed but yeah, it's clearly one of the most obvious choices and one of the most well-known Christina songs of all-time.

I am super glad I could introduce you to a new Christina track! - Glad you like my #1 ;)

Originally posted by GetBack
                                                          I totally forgot about "We Remain"! I need to listen to it again!

"Genie in a Bottle" is one of her best indeed!
                                                          And how was your impression after listening to it again?

<3

Comment

original image taken from: http://fotos.caras.uol.com.br/media/ima ... 080288.jpg

Mainshow goes Diva: Anastacia

Thank you for all your comments and following the first edition of "Mainshow Goes Diva"! I think Christina Aguilera was a huge success and I am glad you liked the surprising number-one.

Now, I would like to move to another very talented female artist with a huge voice: Anastacia!
                                                            I have never been a huge fan of Anastacia but her singles are quite impressive and she has a massive catalogue depicted with hits and iconic looks (her collection of tinted glasses are everything!). Personally, I think that the American singer is rather underrated nowadays despite having huge hits during her heyday. Anyway, due to her latest release "Evolution" (released 15th September, 2017), I started to revisit her previous album and her career in general and I thought it would be a nice idea to hold a Countdown of my favourite singles by Anastacia.

Comment

this will be interesting... I need to discover more of her songs. I only know the hits and everything off her last 2 albums.
                                                              My Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                              X