No announcement yet.

Spartan's A-Z Chart / finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As you can tell, one of my favourite artists Delta is. Her Wings of the Wild album is one of my favourites, and lead single Wings is fantastic by Delta standards - an uptempo with a variety of instruments used. Combine this with some fierce vocals and you got a great song. Special shout-out to her live performance of this on The Voice AU, which was stunning.

We're going from my favourite female post-2000, to my favourite female pre-2000 with some classic Babs. Arguably Streisand's most well-known song, Woman In Love was written by Barry and Robin Gibb and remains a timeless classic until today that showcases the powerhouse vocals of Streisand and is a perfect example of why she is so successful.

Comment

• 'Wings' is great, definitely among Delta's better songs.

'Woman in Love' is outstanding, Streisand's fantastic vocal performance together with the exceptional songwriting skills of the Bee Gees were a unique combination.
      My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• Ah, I adored "Vanilla Ice-cream"! Great vocals! "Vienna" is kinda boring.

"Viva la Vida" is one of the best songs ever recorded; I'm quite obsessed with it really. "Vogue" is an undeniable pop classic that is fun to watch others dance to in a club.

"Voodoo Child" was underwhelming. "Voulez-Vous" is a bop!
        Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [85-81]

Comment

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
          'Wings' is great, definitely among Delta's better songs.

'Woman in Love' is outstanding, Streisand's fantastic vocal performance together with the exceptional songwriting skills of the Bee Gees were a unique combination.
          Glad you liked both songs.

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
          Ah, I adored "Vanilla Ice-cream"! Great vocals! "Vienna" is kinda boring.

"Viva la Vida" is one of the best songs ever recorded; I'm quite obsessed with it really. "Vogue" is an undeniable pop classic that is fun to watch others dance to in a club.

"Voodoo Child" was underwhelming. "Voulez-Vous" is a bop!
          VLV is certainly epic by every aspect. Glad you loved Vanilla Ice Cream as well.

Comment

• Back in the 00s, there were rock and indie acts aplenty but very few had songs that stood the test of time. One of the ones that did was James Morrison and this is one of my favourite tracks of his, Wonderful World. I really enjoy the tones of his voice here - they're simultaneously soft and powerful.

Another album track here from Take That, and another one to feature Jason Orange's vocals. Wooden Boat is a heartbreaking little ballad which sounds very folk-like. Beautiful vocals on Jason's first ever lead track for the band and does an excellent job making this a memorable track.

Comment

• I said no more Liberty X songs but I needed a second song beginning with X and this was the only one i could find in my library that I enjoy. X is off the same-titles album and I actually really enjoy it. It's a cool piece of pop trash music.

My favourite song beginning with X now is the legendary Xanadu by ELO and ONJ. Newton-John has a plethora of hits but this is in my top three by her (not a massive fan of Grease to be honest). Electric Light Orchestra add their signature sound to Olivia's vocals and create a memorable tune.

Comment

• I knew that Xanadu would be one of your X songs!
                Amazing tune, probably my favourite one by Olivia.

Comment

• I love this remix of Xanadu mainly because I love the epicness of the intro:

Comment

I knew that Xanadu would be one of your X songs!
                    Amazing tune, probably my favourite one by Olivia.
                    Well I couldn't think of any more X songs.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                    I love this remix of Xanadu mainly because I love the epicness of the intro:

Yes, just checked it out and love that intro.

Comment

• One of the biggest bands in the UK in the 00s were Busted, there was such hype around them. They even hype themselves up quite a bit in this song, predicting what the Year 3000 holds in store for us. It's a catchy pop-rock tune - very of its time but still holds up well to date.

Now we're headed all the way back to the mid 60s with some vintage Beatles. Even though the band have many memorable songs, I'd definitely put this in their Top 5 of most well-known songs and, according to Guiness World Records, it's the second most-covered song of all-time. Understandably so as Yesterday is a beautifully melodic tune.

Comment

• The Beatles

Well, it's not Coldplay. It's not Fix You. The nerve.

Comment

• ^^ Really enjoyed that movie.

Comment

• Two great choices!

I love Busted's first two singles, 'Year 3000' a bit more than 'What I Go to School for'.
                            'Yesterday' is, of course, one of the most legendary song of all time. I also enjoyed the movie.

Comment

Two great choices!

I love Busted's first two singles, 'Year 3000' a bit more than 'What I Go to School for'.
                              'Yesterday' is, of course, one of the most legendary song of all time. I also enjoyed the movie.
                              Year 3000 was miles better than WIGTSF. Other good songs by them: Crashed The Wedding, Sleeping With The Light On, Thunderbirds Are Go (guilty pleasure).

Comment

• The last song on this countdown from Hamilton (I promise). Interweaving previous songs from the musical Yorktown is an epic song from the first act of the show. There's a Broadway version available on YouTube to check out and you can see how incredible the staging and choreography is in it. It just builds so much tension and climaxes incredibly at the end.

A band that I actually know little about and don't know many songs from. This one has always been a favourite of mine. You Can't Always Get What You Want has been used in many films and TV shows - which is why I feel I've always been familiar with the song. It's a long one but I love the different styles of music used in it.

Comment

• I have no idea who or what Hamilton is - I guess a musical?

I don't know many Stones songs either - actually only Satisfaction, Paint It Black & Angie.

Comment

I have no idea who or what Hamilton is - I guess a musical?

I don't know many Stones songs either - actually only Satisfaction, Paint It Black & Angie.
                                    You're right, Hamilton is a musical.
                                    Yeah I feel bad for knowing so few of their songs.

Comment

• A song that, to me, defines the 90s perfectly is this one. You Get What You Give is the epitome of a fantastic song. Eternally memorable and arguably quite era-defining.

The final musical song in my whole countdown is from a musical I discovered last year: Dear Evan Hansen. I don't even know much about the story or the musical, yet I can still appreciate the beauty of this song. Below is a performance of You Will Be Found that made me fall in love with it.

Comment

• I'm currently preparing a video for my YouTube channel featuring one-hit wonders of the 90s and the New Radicals are on that list. 'You Get What You Give' is awesome, what a shame that the band didn't have any other hits!

Comment

• "We Are Young" is such a big, booming, anthemic piece of pop/rock. fun. haven't done anything nearly as impressive for me. "Werewolves of London" is meh.

"What's Up?" is a terrific song on its own merit, but that Sense8 association catapults it to a pretty special place in my music library. The vocals on "White Rabbit" sound very Florench Welch-esque. I like it!

GA's "Wild Horses" is decent, but I really like Natasha's "Wild Horses". I think it's one of her stronger songs.

"Wings" is terrific, though I do love another "Wings" more (Little Mix's). "Woman in Love" is lovely. At one point, it was among my top three Barbra ballads, but it's fallen a bit since then.

"Wonderful World" is a strong song! I feel like I've heard someone else cover it equally as impressively, though, but I can't remember who. "Wooden Boat" is boring, bordering on sleep-inducing actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                            "We Are Young" is such a big, booming, anthemic piece of pop/rock. fun. haven't done anything nearly as impressive for me. "Werewolves of London" is meh.

"What's Up?" is a terrific song on its own merit, but that Sense8 association catapults it to a pretty special place in my music library. The vocals on "White Rabbit" sound very Florench Welch-esque. I like it!

GA's "Wild Horses" is decent, but I really like Natasha's "Wild Horses". I think it's one of her stronger songs.

"Wings" is terrific, though I do love another "Wings" more (Little Mix's). "Woman in Love" is lovely. At one point, it was among my top three Barbra ballads, but it's fallen a bit since then.

"Wonderful World" is a strong song! I feel like I've heard someone else cover it equally as impressively, though, but I can't remember who. "Wooden Boat" is boring, bordering on sleep-inducing actually.
                                            I think I need to give Sense8 a rewatch at some point, what a great show that was. I suppose Woman In Love does fall down the rankings when we discover her extensive discography.

Comment

• A classic from Queen here, probably not one of their most well-known songs but a classic nonetheless. You're My Best Friend is quite dissimilar from other Queen songs - fairly different musical stylings from the rest of the album it appears on.

From one of my favourite albums of all-time, Carole King delivers a fantastic ballad called You've Got A Friend. It's quite a heartwarming song, Carole's lovely vocals match a melodic tune to create a great song.

Comment

• Last two songs of this chart, from two artists (with relatively unknown songs) who appear only here.

Jazz singer Jamie Cullum releases a great album in 2005, full of hidden, underappreciated gems. This one was one of my favourites - 21st Century Kid is a delightful song with very poignant lyrics. I feel they can probably resonate with most people, played along with a jazz tune and Jamie's distinct vocals makes for a good song.

A song from one of my favourite musicals. I implore everyone to see Come From Away - you can't not feel emotion watching it (yes, even though it's a musical based on the affects of 9/11 to a small Canadian town). There's a couple of standout songs in the show but this is my highlight - 38 Planes is contains quite a lot of exposition but manages to still hold its own and be a great song severed from the musical.

Comment

• Thanks to everyone who took their time out to comment on my elongated chart, and to those who checked out some songs they didn't know before!

Artists with the most appearances in my chart:

Girls Aloud / 10
                                                  Delta Goodrem / 9
                                                  ABBA / 7
                                                  The Saturdays / 6
                                                  Natasha Bedingfield / 5
                                                  'Hamilton' soundtrack / 5
                                                  Rihanna / 5
                                                  Take That / 5
                                                  Billy Joel / 4
                                                  Madonna / 4
                                                  Sugababes / 4

I didn't realise how 00s-centric it was but I suppose that was my main era of listening to music.

Comment

• It's all over.

Thanks for the thread. Found some songs I really enjoyed believe it or not. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                      It's all over.
                                                      UKMIX will just die now.

Comment

• Thank you Pete for an amazing countdown!

Comment

• "X" is basic. "Xanadu" is fun! I liked it! It's the best thing I've heard from Olivia Newton-John.

"Year 3000" is basic, but decent. I don't mind it. "Yesterday" is brilliant, one of my all-time favourite classics. Interestingly enough, Whitney Houston has gone on record saying it's her favourite song ever.

"Yorktown" is okay, but not in the same league as "My Shot". The Glee Cast did a much better job than the Rolling Stones with "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

"You Get What You Give" has such a catchy, 'chanty' chorus that I love. "You Will Be Found" is beautiful; it feels very Glee-esque.

"You're My Best Friend" isn't quite one of my top Queen tracks, but I like it still. "Heartwarming" is a pretty fair descriptor for "You've Got a Friend".

Tonally, "21st Century Kid" is the most depressing song I've heard all week. "38 Planes..." is good.

Fantastic countdown overall, Pete! Thanks for taking the time to put it together, and actually completing it!

Comment

Working...
                                                          X