No announcement yet.

Benny's All-Time Top 200 Songs - done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy Baby Baby and baby one more time. Bad Romance is far from Gagas best songs for me.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

Several interesting inclusions in the last couple of pages!

Originally posted by Benny View Post
      #6 Heart - Alone (1987)

#8 Juice Newton - Angel of the Morning (1981)

#10 John Denver - Annie's Song (1974)
      There are other versions of these three that were very successful in the UK - I preferred an instrumental recording by flautist James Galway that reached number three here (and number one in his Irish homeland), and I also bought a much more recent variation of "Alone" by Alyssa Reid. I'm not sure now why that was re-titled "Alone Again", but it peaked at number two in the UK, one place higher than the original from Heart which I do prefer, and indeed still hear much more often on the radio! Juice Newton missed the top forty with "Angel of the Morning" - but of course Shaggy's awful take on it somehow went to number one in 2001.....

#11 Styx - Babe (1979)

Next up is American rock band Styx with their only US number one hit, the beautiful 'Babe'.

Other Styx songs I love: 'Boat on the River', 'Mr. Roboto'.
      The bizarre thing about Styx is that, despite many other singles in the UK, "Babe" was their only real success. We completely missed the outbreak of boats on rivers that affected continental European charts in early 1980 - and, although "Mr Roboto" was featured on "Top of the Pops" when it was in the Europarade on the strength of its massive success in the German-speaking countries, that didn't result in any significant sales here either.

#15 Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (2009)

This is the only entry for Lady Gaga. Though I loved 'Poker Face' a bit more than 'Bad Romance' at the time, I overplayed the former and prefer the latter nowadays.

Other Lady Gaga songs I love: 'Poker Face', 'Alejandro', 'Judas', 'Applause', 'Just Dance'.
      I've never liked "Just Dance" - but all of the others did well in my chart, some of them extremely so. "Poker Face" is the highest-ranking for me - and, perhaps surprisingly, "The Edge Of Glory" is then above "Bad Romance". But I think the latter probably gets the most radio airplay nowadays, and of course it's going to do extremely well in the All-Time UKmixParade - to which I must now return to post the next update.....

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

@CZB: Thank you for your comments!
        I had no idea that the 'Alone' remake by Alyssa Reid was so successful in the UK!
        Regarding Styx, it's funny how big 'Boat on the River' was in the German-speaking countries but nowhere else.
        Despite knowing Shaggy's 'Angel' for a long time, I've never realized that it's actually a remake of 'Angel of the Morning'.
        My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
          GaGa’s best song by a mile.
          Well it's definitely one of her best!

Comment

Originally posted by Erotica View Post
            I enjoy Baby Baby and baby one more time.
            Nice to see that you enjoy them!

Comment

#16 Kelly Clarkson - Because of You (2005)

Kelly Clarkson has recorded many great songs but her ultimate masterpiece for me is 'Because of You'. The song is very beautiful and the way she sings it breaks my heart.

Other Kelly Clarkson songs I love: 'Breakaway', 'Since You Been Gone', 'Behind These Hazel Eyes', 'Dark Side', 'Catch My Breath', 'My Life Would Suck Without You', 'Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)', 'Nostalgic', 'Already Gone'.

Last edited by Benny; Wed March 27th, 2019, 16:33.

Comment

Eurgh, Kelly has so many good songs that I couldn’t even choose a favourite. This is definitely one of them, though I prefer Breakaway and BTHE as singles from that era.

Comment

Bad Romance is definitely Gaga's top song for me, though Shallow has become a solid runner-up. Is this the only Kelly song? it has the distinction of being the most successful song on my personal chart by her.

And I love the throwback with Baby Baby - gosh, I didn't realize she was such a powerhouse in the early 90s. I wonder why her success didn't continue?

Comment

Kelly has many great songs and I liked all singles on Breakaway, except that one
                    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

"Bad Romance" is among the top 10 best pop songs ever recorded. It is mindblowingly epic.

"Because of You" tugs at the heartstrings. Kelly has such an emotive voice, and those lyrics are so full of hurt!
                      Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [90-86]

Comment

@Spartan, @cheapthrills, @Erotica, [MENTION=23802]JSparksFan[/MENTION]
                        Thanks for your comments!

Comment

#17 Kylie Minogue - Better the Devil You Know (1990)

Next up is one of several songs featured on the countdown that were produced by the Stock Aitken Waterman hit factory. It's also one of 2 entries by Australian superstar Kylie Minogue.

Other Kylie songs that I love: 'Confide In Me', 'Spinning Around', 'Come Into My World', 'Got to Be Certain', 'Where the Wild Roses Grow' (with Nick Cave), 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' and one song that is still to come.

Comment

"Better the Devil You Know" is one of Kylie's finest songs!

Comment

It’s not my favourite Kylie song but I’d put it in my Top 15.

Comment

[MENTION=23802]JSparksFan[/MENTION], [MENTION=22209]Spartan[/MENTION]:
                                Thanks for the comments!

Comment

#18 Alphaville - Big in Japan (1984)

German band Alphaville had three huge hit singles in the mid 80s. The most iconic of the three, 'Forever Young', didn't make the countdown - it's a fantastic song but I rarely listen to it because German radio stations have massively overplayed it. The other two songs, however, made it into the list, the first one being their breakthrough hit 'Big in Japan'.

Comment

Big in Japan is great

Better the devil you know is good all in all, but far from my Kylie favourites.

Comment

Hope you'll find a place for real German music on your chart
                                      zum beispiel nummer eins aus Deutsche hitparade 1983
                                      Geier Sturzflug - Bruttosozialprodukt

btw. i don't know why, but i never can stand Alphaville

Comment

Originally posted by Erotica View Post
                                        Big in Japan is great
                                        Nice to see that you like it as well!

Comment

Originally posted by navi View Post
                                          Hope you'll find a place for real German music on your chart
                                          zum beispiel nummer eins aus Deutsche hitparade 1983
                                          Geier Sturzflug - Bruttosozialprodukt
                                          I'm not a big fan of all the 'Neue Deutsche Welle' songs that invaded the German charts in the first half of the 1980s.
                                          The only song I like is Peter Schilling's 'Major Tom'.

Comment

I've never heard Big In Japan before but really enjoyed it!

Comment

"Better The Devil You Know" was number # 1 in my chart two times, firstly for Kylie and after it for Steps in 2000. Early Kylie songs are true pure pop classics, unfortunatelly she moved in wrong direction after "Tears On My Pillow" (it's my favourite her single) and "Better The Devil You Know". Madonna did the same way after "Like A Prayer" album.

Guano Apes cover version of "Big In Japan" was a hit in my country.

Lithuanian singer Rasa Kausiute took 1st place in 2011 International contest in Palanga with her cover version of Lady Gaga's main hit "Bad Romance".

Last edited by LastDreamer; Wed April 3rd, 2019, 11:14.
                                              My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                              In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of all the 'Neue Deutsche Welle' songs that invaded the German charts in the first half of the 1980s.
                                                The only song I like is Peter Schilling's 'Major Tom'.
                                                not even Nena
                                                such a shame, it was the last time that German language songs dominate the German charts (rightly so)

Last edited by navi; Wed April 3rd, 2019, 21:09.

Comment

Originally posted by navi View Post
                                                  not even Nena
                                                  such a shame, it was the last time that German language songs dominate the German charts (rightly so)
                                                  No, I can't stand her. The only good song she did was the English-German re-recording of 'Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann' with Kim Wilde in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                                    I've never heard Big In Japan before but really enjoyed it!
                                                    Nice to see that you enjoyed the song!
                                                    Last edited by Benny; Wed April 3rd, 2019, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                                      Guano Apes cover version of "Big In Japan" was a hit in my country.
                                                      I can't remember this cover version, I need to check it out!

Comment

#19 Faith Hill - Breathe (2000)

American country and pop singer Faith Hill has 2 songs on my countdown. The first one is 'Breathe', which was the Billboard Number One Hit of the year 2000, despite the fact that it only peaked at number 2.

Comment

"Breathe" is good!

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                            "Breathe" is good!
                                                            Nice to see that you like it!

Comment

#20 Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970)

Next up is one of several entries by American duo Simon & Garfunkel, their huge classic 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'. The last minute of the song is one of the most epic pieces of music ever.

Last edited by Benny; Sun April 7th, 2019, 08:30.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X