No announcement yet.

My Top 100 Eurovision songs + Top 65 songs from 2010s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Wer Liebe Lebt" is alright, it's currently in my top 10 for 2001, but the one thing I do remember is that during the live performance Michelle really failed to reach that big note
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

# 62. Ireen Sheer - Feuer (Germany - 1978)

Germany really wanted to win (at least in my ranking of 1978) and sent fantastic "Feuer", but got only silver medal here and 6th place in the real contest. Ireen Sheer already represented Luxembourg in my favourite ESC year and that entry "Bye Bye I Love You" finished 4th in Eurovision and very near with my all-time top 100.

Interesting fact : She was born and spent her school days in United Kingdom.
      My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Comment

"Feuer" deserved to get a Top 5 placing. It's a bit underrated among German fans as well. I'm glad you like it that much!

"Wer Liebe lebt" <3 - I usually don't listen to Schlager (apart from Helene Fischer) but that song was absolutely amazing! I loved Michelle's performance. It was incredible, emotional and passionate. She deserved to end up being Top 5 as well, in my opinion. One of my favourite entries from Germany.
        Last edited by Mainshow; Wed July 31st, 2019, 15:56.
        Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

# 61. Anita Skorgan - Casanova (Norway - 1977)

After Gisela's song at # 72 we have another "Casanova" a little higher. Anita Skorgan represented Norway in Eurovision Song Contest a total of three times, it was her first attempt with only 14th place result.

The song is an up-tempo number, with Skorgan describing her husband, who is absent at the time. She is uncomplimentary about this, singing that he sees himself as a Casanova or a Don Juan figure, and this irritates her. In this particular instance, he claimed he was going for a walk, but "his suit and car are gone", implying something else.

Interesting fact : All Norwegian entries from my Top 100 belong to 70s decade.

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Comment

I haven never listened to "Casanova" before. How cute and charming. What a joyful arrangement. Thanks for introducing it to me.
            #14 place is rather shocking. The song itself would have been suitable for a theme song of a 70s series

Comment

I haven never listened to "Casanova" before. How cute and charming. What a joyful arrangement. Thanks for introducing it to me.
              #14 place is rather shocking. The song itself would have been suitable for a theme song of a 70s series

Comment

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                Interesting fact : All Norwegian entries from my Top 100 belong to 70s decade.
                "Casanova" is a good song, but out of all Norwegian 70s entries I am too drawn to Jahn Teigen's epic car crash of "Mil Etter Mil" (which Anita also sings occasionally)

Comment

Oh.. this means that my favourite entry from Norway (2006) won't be part of your countdown :(

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                    Jury was very unfair to wonderful Norwegian 70s entries. Of course it's not last song from this country, more masterpieces still to come include "The most underrated Eurovision song in all long history of this contest".

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                      One of my favourite entries from Germany.
                      Only one country have more songs than Germany in this ranking.

Germany in this decade
                      8 / 10 : Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite (2nd place in 2010)
                      7 / 10 : Lena Meyer-Landrut - Taken By A Stranger (5th place in 2011)
                      6 / 10 : Cascada - Glorious (7th place in 2013)
                      5 / 10 : Levina - Perfect Life (8th place in 2017)
                      4 / 10 : Sisters - Sister (17th place in 2019)
                      4 / 10 : Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone (17th place in 2018)
                      4 / 10 : Elaiza - Is It Right (21st place in 2014)
                      4 / 10 : Jamie-Lee Kriewitz - Ghost (19th place in 2016)
                      4 / 10 : Ann Sophie - Black Smoke (20th place in 2015)
                      3 / 10 : Roman Lob - Standing Still (28th place in 2012)

Average : 4.90
                      5th place from 46 countries in this decade.

8 / 10 is enough for this list, so sooner or later we will see "Satellite" here.
                      Last edited by LastDreamer; Wed July 31st, 2019, 17:17.

Comment

# 60. Novi Fosili - Ja Sam Za Ples (Yugoslavia - 1987)

Yugoslavia didn't win in my rankings, but Croatian pop band Novi Fosili was very close to success in 1987 and finished on the second position.

Interesting fact : 2nd place still the best result for Croatia, Daria Kinzer did the same in 2011 with "Celebrate".

Comment

"Ja Sam Za Ples" is cute, using squeaky "hee!" as a hook is a bold decision

Comment

# 59. Marcha - Rechtop In De Wind (Netherlands - 1987)

After four top 3 results in the previous 7 years Marcha won another title for Netherlands.

"Rechtop In De Wind" is a dramatic ballad, sung from the perspective of a woman whose relationship has just ended. Marcha describes her feelings as the relationship ends, and goes on to sing that she told herself to be strong and to stand "upright in the wind", even if that wind became a "hurricane".

Interesting fact : It was the one from the most persistent battles for my yearly # 1.

Comment

"Rechtop In De Wind" is quality, the production is so very straightforward 80s.

Comment

It's deffinitely straightforward eighties, and i love it! Such a great song!

Comment

# 58. Betty Mars - Come, Comedie (France - 1972)

My favourite French entry is charming chanson-style song "Come, Comedie", which was performed by singer and actress Betty Mars. The song is a moderately up-tempo number, with Mars singing about the joy which will come when she and her lover say that they love each other.

Interesting fact : This song also recorded in German, under the title "Komodiant Der Liebe" ("Comedian Of Love").

Comment

The last three entries haven't been my cup of tea at all, sadly.
                                    The entry from Yugoslavia is catchy, though. Her jumping around the stage was quite cute ;)

Comment

# 57. Maarja-Liis Ilus - Keelatud Maa (Estonia - 1997)

Oh, that's sweet taste of revenge. In 1996 year Maarja-Liis was second only behind British entry, now she won with "Keelatud Maa" over "Love Shine A Light".

Interesting fact : On this moment of time each Baltic sister won in my yearly ESC rankings.

Comment

# 56. Olivia Newton-John - Long Live Love (United Kingdom - 1974)

Let's move into the zone of British domination and listen many amazing UK entries from six different decades. Already famous Australian singer Olivia Newton-John represented the best ESC country with "Love Live Love". It's very hard to believe, especially for young Eurovision fans, but her 4th place was very disappointed result for UK.

Interesting fact : Just look on this fantastic chain of UK results from 1967 to 1977 : Win-2nd-Win-2nd-4th-2nd-3rd-4th-2nd-Win-2nd

Comment

Terry Wogan thought Olivia Newton-John's career would never recover from this 4th place blow. Thankfully, his predictions were wrong most of the time

Comment

# 55. Simone Stelzer - Keine Mauern Mehr (Austria - 1990)

Austria is the country of little ESC wonders. Sometimes she rose from tier 2 to real contender for shocking win. As Anita in 1984 and Petra in 1994, beautiful blonde lady Simone finished on the second place behind my second favourite from 90s.

The song is a dramatic ballad, in which Simone sings about the freedom brought about through the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Interesting fact : Several days after the final of Austrian pre-selection winning song "Das Beste" performed by Duett was disqualified and Simone became the Eurovision entrant.

Comment

# 54. Yiannis Savidakis and Fani Polymeri - Apopse As Vrethoume (Cyprus - 1989)

On 54th place we meet very rare guests from Southern Europe. 1989 was a highlight for this region in my ESC rankings, Cyprus won and Greece was second.

"Apopse As Vrethume" was only 11th and received 51 points, include 12 points from … Iceland, Greece gave only 7 in response to Cyprus 12. Greedy Greeks really wanted top 10 result, which they got with 5 points margin over Cyprus.

30 years after it still the one from my favourite Eurovision duets.

Interesting fact : Based on this list only in 2012 another country surpassed Сyprus 1989 in the terms of my favourite ESC entry from Southern Europe.
                                              Last edited by LastDreamer; Tue August 13th, 2019, 21:30.

Comment

# 53. New Seekers - Beg, Steal Or Borrow (United Kingdom - 1972)

Some months before participation in Eurovision New Seekers recorded a worldwide hit and UK million-seller "I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing", so UK really wanted to win, but finished on the second place again. "Beg, Steal or Borrow" is a love song to a former lover.

Interesting fact : "You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me" is my favourite song from 1973.

Comment

^back in the 70s, most of UK ESC acts had some sort of a public profile before (or after) Eurovision

Comment

# 52. Grethe Kausland and Benny Borg - Smating (Norway - 1972)

Norwegian entry "Smating" a ballad, with the duo comparing the great successes of human life (inheriting a castle, landing on the moon) with the "little things", such as watching a sunset, which they sing are superior experiences.

Interesting fact : In 70s decade Norway had seven top 3 results in my rankings.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X