Heppolo's top 20 Eurovision winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heppolo's top 20 Eurovision winners

I have a long standing sympathy towards Eurovision, so I've decided to pick my faves out of the winners over the years.
    Warning: what this list turns out to be might bore you to (near) death.
    Last edited by heppolo; Wed July 17, 2019, 21:48.
    Waffles are checked cookies

#20 DENMARK2000
    Olsen Brothers - Fly On The Wings Of Love

So there I was, a 9 year boy, watching those two guys coming up on the stage and thinking "Well, this shouldn't be a threat!". By the way, Olsen Brothers were 125/1 to win the whole thing on the night (the longest ever odds for the eventual winner).
    But what did I and the bookmakers knew. Yes, the song is quite cheesy, but those two manage to sell it 100%. And when the vocoder effect comes up all of a sudden, it just puts the listener in a positive mood.

Comment

You will definitely not bore me with this exquisite countdown! What a great idea to rank Eurovision winners and present your Top 20! I'm excited to see the rest and tbh, I think that Lena, Jamala, Duncan and Loreen deserve to be on this list.

When it comes to the Olsen Brothers, I think it's a really great way to kick off your countdown. They were so charming, their entry was uplifting and catchy and even though it's indeed chessy, you can't deny that it gets you in a very positive mood! So I fully agree with your comment! - It is amazing that the song still gets played on the radio occasionally (at least, here in Germany). It's a truly deserved Eurovision winner!
      Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
        You will definitely not bore me with this exquisite countdown! What a great idea to rank Eurovision winners and present your Top 20! I'm excited to see the rest and tbh, I think that Lena, Jamala, Duncan and Loreen deserve to be on this list.

When it comes to the Olsen Brothers, I think it's a really great way to kick off your countdown. They were so charming, their entry was uplifting and catchy and even though it's indeed chessy, you can't deny that it gets you in a very positive mood! So I fully agree with your comment! - It is amazing that the song still gets played on the radio occasionally (at least, here in Germany). It's a truly deserved Eurovision winner!
        also, I have to point out that Olsen Brothers were one of the very few vocally flawless acts in the 2000 edition.
        A Eurovision classic which defied the ageism as well.

Comment

#19 NETHERLANDS 2019
          Duncan Laurence - Arcade

Netherlands waited for a long, long, long time for this win.
          The song feels to me like something off the back of Snow Patrol/mid 00s Coldplay/Keane playbook. The first thing I noticed about this entry is the stellar production. However, the way it was staged and presented almost took away its power and made the year much more competitive than it should have been.
          Sadly, the power of streaming took away any chances of this song becoming a significant hit outside Netherlands/Belgium.

Comment

#18 SPAIN 1969
            Salomé - Vivo Cantando

And now we're going 50 years back to the latest (to date) Spanish victory.
            The song is memorable for many reasons:
            - the language
            - the outfit (besides being ultra vivid cost a lot of money, about 9.000 Euros according to the modern estimation)
            - the tempo (the song dares to go faster and faster)
            - the backing singers ("HEY!")
            - the uplifting and joyful mood it brings
            - Salomé moves.

Comment

Fly on the wings of love is one of my favorite winners ever, a classic! <3
              And Arcade, glad to see it in your countdown! The spannish song is also very nice!
              You drew stars around my scars

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                Fly on the wings of love is one of my favorite winners ever, a classic! <3
                And Arcade, glad to see it in your countdown! The spannish song is also very nice!
                Thanks for stopping by. A few years ago "Fly On The Wings Of Love" would have probably made my top 10, but I've grown to like some other winners a lot as well.

Comment

I like only some ESC winners, possibly nobody from them will not represented here.
                  I hope that you will not include many songs, which I dislike \ hate and put on the last place in my yearly rankings.

So far :
                  Olsen Brothers - Fly On The Wings Of Love (9th place in 2000)
                  Duncan Laurence - Arcade (20th place in 2019) - 4 / 10
                  Salome - Vivo Cantando (15th place from 16 entries in 1969)
                  Last edited by LastDreamer; Thu July 18, 2019, 19:23.
                  My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

It wasn't my pick to win, but "Arcade" is decent.
                    Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#5]

Comment

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                      I like only some ESC winners, possibly nobody from them will not represented here.
                      I hope that you will not include many songs, which I dislike \ hate and put on the last place in my yearly rankings.
                      I can't say that the winners are always my favourite in this/that particular year, it's much more likely to be the other way round actually (there's a handful of years the winner was my fave). As far as I remember, you prefer the winners by female solo acts of the 1960s-1970s, whilst my ultimate soft spot is the national language, which makes an entry sound 100x times more authentic.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                        It wasn't my pick to win, but "Arcade" is decent.
                        It's a decent song, but there's something carefully calculated about it.

Comment

#17 UKRAAINE 2016
                          Jamala - 1944

I can't say that Jamala was my winner in 2016, but I surely prefer it over that Sergey Lazarev dud.
                          The main asset of the song for me is the sickest trip-hop beat, it can be compared to the Massive Attack, Archive, Burial, Tricky classics. Just listen to this karaoke version of "1944" to fully appreciate the beat, it almost sounds like a rifle or some kind of ammo reloading.

Jamala makes sure the song sounds dark, eerie and haunting (and there should be more downbeat songs in Eurovision tbh).
                          Also the fact that the song isn't about the "la-la-love" adds some vital points in my playbook.
                          Last edited by heppolo; Fri July 19, 2019, 06:54.

Comment

#16 UNITED KINGDOM 1997
                            Katrina & The Waves - Love shine a light

The song sounds almost ridiculously triumphant and uplifting. The backing music actually sounds quite britpop-ish (mid 90s wise), the orchestra suits the song, and Katrina's vocal seems almost too loud, Bonnie Tyler mixed with some gospel tunes, at times.
                            1997 was an emphatic year for the United Kingdom, Britpop and Cool Britannia, Tony Blair's New Labour landslide and Eurovision triumph almost got lost in the headlines.
                            The fact that UK didn't manage to pull their own winner entry to #1 in the charts was such a shame and signalled the start of a tough UK relationship with the Eurovision Song Contest.

Comment

#15 LUXEMBOURG 1972
                              Vicky Leandros - Après toi

Once upon a time, French language was a force to be reckoned with at the Eurovision stage.
                              Vassiliki Papathanasiou, also known as Vicky Leandros, is a Greek singer with a long international career. In fact, Vicky is involved in not one, but two Eurovision-related classics, another one is "L'amour est bleu".
                              The English-language version of the song, "Come What May" was widely released around the world. In South Africa it was a number one hit. In Britain and Ireland it reached number two in the charts of both countries.
                              The song itself is a classic epic and dramatic Eurovision winner with a loud climatic part which requires a very high level of singing skills.

Comment

Truth told, back in the day (00s), most artists didn't really sing that perfectly.. I'm glad these days are gone tbh.

It's nice to see "Arcade" in your countdown. It would be such a pity to not see this amazing entry on your list.
                                However, I do have to disagree with you saying that there's something "very calculated" about this track.
                                First, the song already got written BEFORE being intended for Eurovsion and personally, I think that this is one of its strength.. that's why it feels very authentic, emotional, distinctive and unique.
                                The fact that the Dutch broadcaster came up with a perfect staging to suit the song might be calculated but they just did their job (unlike UK or Germany which always mess up their stagings).

Jamala's excellent. I don't know if I like her (as an artist or person) but the entry itself had everything to be stand-out. It was a true highlight back in 2016. Personally, I prefer the Russian entry despite being cheesy, artificial and calculated (that one was calculated hehe) but "1944" comes close. It comebines refreshing and new sounds (as you've describeD) with some ethno elements and Jamala's voice did really deliver emotions. Deserved winner!

Katrina was alright, too. A monster hit and great sing-along track. It did age terribly, though.

"Après toi" <3 - What a hell of a song!!!!

Comment

Truth told, back in the day (00s), most artists didn't really sing that perfectly.. I'm glad these days are gone tbh.

It's nice to see "Arcade" in your countdown. It would be such a pity to not see this amazing entry on your list.
                                  However, I do have to disagree with you saying that there's something "very calculated" about this track.
                                  First, the song already got written BEFORE being intended for Eurovsion and personally, I think that this is one of its strength.. that's why it feels very authentic, emotional, distinctive and unique.
                                  The fact that the Dutch broadcaster came up with a perfect staging to suit the song might be calculated but they just did their job (unlike UK or Germany which always mess up their stagings).

Jamala's excellent. I don't know if I like her (as an artist or person) but the entry itself had everything to be stand-out. It was a true highlight back in 2016. Personally, I prefer the Russian entry despite being cheesy, artificial and calculated (that one was calculated hehe) but "1944" comes close. It comebines refreshing and new sounds (as you've describeD) with some ethno elements and Jamala's voice did really deliver emotions. Deserved winner!

Katrina was alright, too. A monster hit and great sing-along track. It did age terribly, though.

"Après toi" <3 - What a hell of a song!!!!
                                  "Arcade" was calculated not in a "song for Eurovision" sense, but in a "the song has to have a singalong hook" way, the same way Chris Martin makes Coldplay songs. Since the song's main hook comes packaged with a millenial "ooh and aaah". Surely, there are more creative ways to deal with it, but as long as it suits the song I am completely fine with it, just not too original or too off-the-hook to be rated higher for me.
                                  I've grown to appreaciate "Après toi" more than I used to.
                                  "Love Shine A Light" isn't my 1997 favourite tbh (that is "Minn Hinsti Dans", followed by "Dinle" and "Fiumi Di Parole"), but still that is one of my favourite editions, so it has a place in my winner's list somehow.

Comment

Ok, now I can agree with you. "Arcade" is just clever: It's a quality entry with mass appeal.

When it comes to 1997, it was a great edition after all. I prefer "Minn Hinsti Dans", "Fiumi Di Parole" as well + "Ale Jestem" and "Zbudi se" but "Love Shine A Light" had that catchy hook and uplifting spirit which connected to all people. It's a well-deserved victory nonetheless.

Comment

#14 SWEDEN 2012
                                      Loreen - Euphoria

Now to the part where everyone might disagree with me and call me crazy.
                                      "Euphoria" is a scintillating (and catchy) song, performance and package, but a) it hasn't really aged well, b) it doesn't fully showcase Loreen's vocal potential, c) Loreen has better songs ("My Heart is Refusing Me", at least Melodifestivalen 2011 version and "Paper Light" come to mind).
                                      But Loreen did us all a great favour and saved Eurovision from a tainting Grannies' victory (it's amazing that she won the televote very narrowly, only by 11 points).

Comment

This thread is officially cancelled

just kidding.

"My Heart Is Refusing Me" comes close but "Euphoria" is simply amazing. It's THE song - my favourite track of all-time and I'm glad it appears on your countdown but it deserved to be #1

And for an EDM song released back in 2012, it didn't age that badly.
                                        I think that it was even pushing the contemporary sound of that time a bit further, to new extremes.. maybe that's why it was such a monster hit beyond the Eurovision bubble.
                                        Loreen is the Queen of Eurovision, for sure.
                                        Last edited by Mainshow; Sat July 20, 2019, 15:25.

Comment

This thread is officially cancelled

just kidding.

"My Heart Is Refusing Me" comes close but "Euphoria" is simply amazing. It's THE song - my favourite track of all-time and I'm glad it appears on your countdown but it deserved to be #1

And for an EDM song released back in 2012, it didn't age that badly.
                                          I think that it was even pushing the contemporary sound of that time a bit further, to new extremes.. maybe that's why it was such a monster hit beyond the Eurovision bubble.
                                          Loreen is the Queen of Eurovision, for sure.
                                          The think more about it, it is actually quite an achievement for an EDM-influenced song to make it into the top 20.

Comment

Predictably you did it.

My bottom 5 Eurovision songs of this decade
                                            404. Other winner
                                            405. Loreen - Euphoria (Sweden - 2012) (41st place)
                                            406. Jamala - 1944 (Ukraine - 2016) (Last - 42nd place)
                                            407. Nina Zilli - L'amore E Femmina (Italy - 2012) (Last - 42nd place)
                                            408. Other winner

Loreen is the one from my all-time least favouite singers.
                                            Last edited by LastDreamer; Sat July 20, 2019, 15:54.
                                            My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

#13 SERBIA 2007
                                              Marija Šerifović - Molitva

Zeljko might have introduced the brand of a "Balkan ballad" to the Eurovision audience, but Marija presented quite a package and ran away with it.
                                              On the night Marija's vocal was flawless, yet she represented more than just a talented singer: a performer crossing genders, identities and having a striking image and look (+the backing singers) only amplified the message.

Comment

Predictably you did it.

My bottom 5 Eurovision songs of this decade
                                                404. Other winner
                                                405. Loreen - Euphoria (Sweden - 2012) (41st place)
                                                406. Jamala - 1944 (Ukraine - 2016) (Last - 42nd place)
                                                407. Nina Zilli - L'amore E Femmina (Italy - 2012) (Last - 42nd place)
                                                408. Other winner

Loreen is the one from my all-time least favouite singers.
                                                You are probably going to see your last place near my top spot.
                                                Honestly, I can see how Loreen might not be someone's favourite (it's not my fave of 2012 either, I was cheering for more experimental entries like "Suus" and a male singing powerhouse Ott Lepland from Estonia), but she's objectively a better singer and "Euphoria" is by any means a better song than the absolute epitome of trash represented by Grannies and "Party For Everybody" (one of the worst Eurovision songs ever).

Comment

just to clarify, most of the time the actual winner is not my favourite song of a particular edition
                                                  (in fact, the winner is my favourite song of only 5 editions).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X