Heppolo's top 20 Eurovision winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
    just to clarify, most of the time the actual winner is not my favourite song of a particular edition
    (in fact, the winner is my favourite song of only 5 editions).
    I even wasn't born, when last time my # 1 (of course in retrospective) won. It was very rare thing in past and honestly impossible in near future with the current ESC trends. Technically "Satellite" was my main favourite in 2010 and Lena won, but I didn't watch semifinals in that year and some years after berdendalized Sweden became my # 1.

You are probably going to see your last place near my top spot.
    Honestly, I can see how Loreen might not be someone's favourite (it's not my fave of 2012 either, I was cheering for more experimental entries like "Suus" and a male singing powerhouse Ott Lepland from Estonia)
    For one obvious reason I can't name my # 1 of 2012, but it's my bottom part of that contest.

33. Sabina Babayeva - When The Music Dies (Azerbaijan) - 2 / 10
    34. Max Jason Mai - Don't Close Your Eyes (Slovakia) - 2 / 10
    35. Trackshittaz - Woki Mit Deim Popo (Austria) - 1 / 10
    36. Tooji - Stay (Norway) - 1 / 10
    37. Sofi Marinova - Love Unlimited (Bulgaria) - 1 / 10
    38. Anggun - Echo (You And I) (France) - 0 / 10
    39. Rona Nishliu - Suus (Albania) - 0 / 10
    40. Gaitana - Be My Guest (Ukraine) - 0 / 10
    41. Loreen - Euphoria (Sweden) - 0 / 10
    42. Nina Zilli - L'amore E Femmina (Italy) - 0 / 10

Estonia at # 26 with 3 / 10.

Hardcore Eurovision fans hate me, because I dislike (almost) all fan favourites.
    Last edited by LastDreamer; Sat July 20, 2019, 17:22.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
      I even wasn't born, when last time my # 1 (of course in retrospective) won. It was very rare thing in past and honestly impossible in near future with the current ESC trends. Technically "Satellite" was my main favourite in 2010 and Lena won, but I didn't watch semifinals in that year and some years after berdendalized Sweden became my # 1.
      That's nice, since I also liked both in 2010.
      I would say that my faves are mostly not the usual, but the hipster fan favourites, like the jazziest or most indie sounding song of a particular edition.
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

#12 GERMANY 2010
        Lena - Satellite

Second Germany victory came courtesy of Lena & Stefan Raab. To me it sounds like very Lily Allen-esque song, a little bit gimmicky.
        Lena sounded quite shaky live, but this was part of the charm, I guess.

Comment

I even wasn't born, when last time my # 1 (of course in retrospective) won. It was very rare thing in past and honestly impossible in near future with the current ESC trends.
          Also there is just a lot of countries taking part at the moment, so it's less likely to have a favourite song doing well anyway.

Comment

#11 FRANCE 1977
            Marie Myriam - L'oiseau et l'enfant

Another French-language entry in my countdown. The song structure is closer to a poem than to a traditional "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" one, and one can even draw parallels with the pre-France Gall French-language winners.
            In fact, the song happened to be very popular in the Eastern Europe. Also, the recent Kids United cover helped to re-vitalise the original version for the wider audience.

Comment

Jamala - 1944 (Last - 42nd place in 2016) - 0 / 10
              Loreen - Euphoria (41st place in 2012) - 0 / 10
              Katrina and The Waves - Love Shine A Light (2nd place in 1997) - 8 / 10
              Vicky Leandros - Apres Toi (5th place in 1972)
              Maria Sherifovich - Molitva (38th place in 2007) - 1 / 10
              Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite (2nd place in 2010) - 8 / 10
              Marie Myriam - L'oiseau Et L'enfant (8th place in 1977)

From all countries Germany have the best winners.

So much French language here seems like other ESC classic (and fan favourite), which I hate will be very high here.
              Last edited by LastDreamer; Sun July 21, 2019, 06:24.
              In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

So much French language here seems like other ESC classic (and fan favourite), which I hate will be very high here.
                Some ESC classics might be omitted though.
                The flow of French language is on a very different level.
                The "Pop ladies" rendition reminded me of No Angels Eurovision trainwreck

Comment

#10 UKRAINE 2004
                  Ruslana - Wild Dances

Fans still argue that Zeljko's song was better that year artistically and I get that point. But I was yet to see a singer so determined to win, literally willing to fight with all her energy for that win.
                  "Wild Dances" created some of the most iconic images in the modern Eurovision:
                  - Xena the warrior princess outfit;
                  - whatever is that dancing routine;
                  - the giant horn intro.
                  The ukrainian Eurovision victory was only a sign of things to come later that year with Orange Revolution unravelling, so in a sense Eurovision was always political when it comes to Ukraine (and I love it, to be honest).
                  The weirdest thing of all...the song got into the GTA IV soundtrack and Ruslana was asked to do the radio station voiceover later on. This is almost as weird as Verka getting a feature on "Spy".

Comment

#9 SWITZERLAND 1988
                    Céline Dion - Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi

We all know Céline went on to become a global superstar, but that night in 1988 she almost got beaten by Scott Fitzgerald.
                    The styling was weird indeed, but that was probably an obstacle Céline needed to overcome.
                    Another striking thing about that 1988 entry was the postcard, Céline got invested in agriculture.
                    Also Céline was competing against Lara Fabian (she represented Luxembourg) that night.

Comment

Based on their ESC entries Ukraine always was my least favourite country.

Comment

Based on their ESC entries Ukraine always was my least favourite country.
                        I had a similar attitude towards recent Russian entries, at one point I was like Verka'2007, but then kinda got over it as the time passed.
                        Last edited by heppolo; Sun July 21, 2019, 18:31.

Comment

#8 IRELAND 1996
                          Eimear Quinn - The voice

Well, Ireland was riding the wave of success in the mid 90s. The new age was the flavour of the 1996, when the whole top 3 had some elements of new age/folk music in them. The extra charm of this song is a relatively abstract and un-Eurovision lyrical topic, mythical and poetic.
                          "The Voice" underperformed commercially, however, Celtic Woman made "The Voice" a significant part of the act and managed to keep it relevant.

Comment

So many good songs here!
                            Wild Dances was amazing, and i love The Voice!
                            You drew stars around my scars

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                              So many good songs here!
                              Wild Dances was amazing, and i love The Voice!
                              Thank you for the comment, there's at least one surprise coming soon.

Comment

#7 NETHERLANDS 1969
                                Lenny Kuhr - De Troubadour

This entry is really underrated by both ESC fans and the casual viewers. I guess, only hipsters love it. It has one of the most exquisite guitar background arrangements in the whole Eurovision history. Lenny's voice is very dramatic and demanding, almost a town cryer style. It's a pity that Netherlands has given up on the idea of having an entry in Dutch, at least recently.
                                Lenny still performs.

Comment

I had a similar attitude towards recent Russian entries, at one point I was like Verka'2007, but then kinda got over it as the time passed.
                                  I dislike most Russian entries too.

I even watched Dutch NF of 1969 and prefer 2nd place (Conny Vink - De Toeteraar) over Lenny, but both songs still good.

My top 3 of 1969 :
                                  1. United Kingdom
                                  2. Netherlands
                                  3. Germany

Eurovision 1988 is my least favourite contest and I don't like even single song from that year.
                                  Technically Norway is # 1 with 5/10.
                                  Last edited by LastDreamer; Mon July 22, 2019, 19:40.

Comment

I dislike most Russian entries too.

I even watched Dutch NF of 1969 and prefer 2nd place (Conny Vink - De Toeteraar) over Lenny, but both songs still good.

My top 3 of 1969 :
                                    1. United Kingdom
                                    2. Netherlands
                                    3. Germany

Eurovision 1988 is my least favourite contest and I don't like even single song from that year.
                                    Technically Norway is # 1 with 5/10.
                                    1988 was somehow full of big overpowering songs.

Comment

Marija Šerifović - Molitva
                                      This entry is nice indeed but was it winning material? Personally, I think that it was a bit random because Serbia as well as France have submitted dramatic entries of the same quality years before.
                                      Maybe her message did help to gain a few more votes (so I agree with you). I can live with her victory, though.#
                                      [MENTION=84546]LastDreamer[/MENTION]
                                      I love you. But your Bottom 10 list of 2012 is simply tragic haha Italy, Sweden, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria and Albania were all part of my bottom 5 and tbh, I enjoy the French entry (even though the live performance was horrible) - But I think we've talked about our differences regarding 2012 before

Lena - Satellite
                                      What a time to be alive! - I have never thought that Germany would ever win again. Lena gave us hope in our time of need!
                                      She might not have had the best song and she's clearly not the best vocalist but she sold the entry like no one else. She was cute, charming and totally mesmerising. The song was instant, fresh and had mass appeal. It's a perfect winner and I'm glad it's that high on your list!

Marie Myriam - L'oiseau et l'enfant
                                      I'm not so keen on listening to the old stuff but this is an Evergreen <3 Glad to read it was kinda popular in Eastern European countries.

Ruslana - Wild Dances
                                      Ruslana making the Top 10.. that's a surprise! Interesting that you connect her entry to the Orange Revolution.. Since you've mentioned it, it's the same Ukrainian spirit.
                                      I enjoyed "Wild Dances" when I was a kid. I voted for it and wanted it to win but the rest of my family and their friends who watched Eurovision with us were rooting for Serbia. Nowadays, I do agree with them. Tbh, I barely go back listening to Ruslana. The horns are epic, though!

Céline Dion - Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi
                                      Me love some Céline.. but that song.. simply no

Eimear Quinn - The voice
                                      That's a choice! I love it! It's a pity that it's so underrated among fans!Thank you for including the Celtic Woman video! Haven'T seen it before.

Lenny Kuhr - De Troubadour
                                      I have never heard that entry before. Thanks for introducing it to me. It's quite charming and enjoyable.
                                      Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                        @LastDreamer
                                        I love you. But your Bottom 10 list of 2012 is simply tragic haha Italy, Sweden, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria and Albania were all part of my top 5 and tbh, I enjoy the French entry (even though the live performance was horrible) - But I think we've talked about our differences regarding 2012 before
                                        That's really even more sad and painful, because I became a hardcore ESC fan in 2012 and after it Eurovision became much worse. Almost all my last places were high and personal favourites usually died in the semifinals or bottom part of the final table without any small chance for success.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                          Marija Šerifović - Molitva
                                          Thank you for such an extensive comment.
                                          I think the reason why Marija did win and Zeljko didn't, because in a way Eurovision has its own theatrics and demands some extremes. Zeljko almost felt too restrained, too careful in both his performances in 2004, 2012.

Comment

Now to the boring part (you gonna hate me for about 4-5 of the entries that placed from 6 to 1 in my countdown), but anyway

Comment

#6 IRELAND 1994
                                              Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan - Rock'n'Roll Kids

One of the most disliked & forgotten winners by the fandom (especially by the Polish fans for a reason). However, I have several points to make:
                                              - a rather downbeat entry;
                                              - clearly wasn't written specially to win;
                                              - one of the more different winners (the first male duo winning);
                                              - a melancholic topic about how memory captivates and influences who we are during our lifetime, how we inevitably change and at the same time mourn about the fact that we have changed.
                                              Paul Harrington's voice here is just brilliant.

"Is it just me or do the look like two different-aged versions of Hugh Laurie?" (youtube comment section)

Comment

"Euphoria" is incredible. Sven's love for it has undoubtedly rubbed off on me. I agree with you that "My Heart Is Refusing Me" is superior, though.

"Satellite" is very Lily Allen indeed!
                                                Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#1]

Comment

There is a belief among many Eurovision fans that "Rock'n'Roll Kids" was deliberately chosen not to win. The pair were also much older than any other winners had been. As the Contest rules require the previous year's winner to host the next edition of the Contest, the argument runs that the Irish broadcaster was not prepared to do this for a third consecutive year, hence the selection.
                                                  Also it's my favourite winner's song without any female vocals.

Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan - Rock'n'Roll Kids (4th place in 1994)
                                                  Last edited by LastDreamer; Wed July 24, 2019, 05:28.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                    "Euphoria" is incredible. Sven's love for it has undoubtedly rubbed off on me. I agree with you that "My Heart Is Refusing Me" is superior, though.

"Satellite" is very Lily Allen indeed!
                                                    Thank you for the comment. I was really bewildered when "My Heart Is Refusing Me" kinda flopped at the Melodifestivalen 2011.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X