Heppolo's top 20 Eurovision winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
    Also it's my favourite winner's song without any female vocals.

Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan - Rock'n'Roll Kids (4th place in 1994)
    There's another conspiracy theory that says Riverdance helped Ireland win in 1994, since the Jury Dress Rehearsal also included parts of the show (fake voting, interval act, etc.)
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

"Riverdance" spent 18 weeks at # 1 in Irish chart, it's still all-time record and nobody didn't beat it even in the streaming era.
      My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
      In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

"Riverdance" spent 18 weeks at # 1 in Irish chart, it's still all-time record and nobody didn't beat it even in the streaming era.
        It was quite a moment, to think that Michael Flatley made a fortune & the whole genre got mainstream essentially on the back of being an interval act

Comment

I had to do it
          The worst winners
          #3 IRELAND 1992
          Linda Martin - Why me?

I also keep on wondering "Why Linda?"
          #2 AZERBAIJAN 2011
          Ell/Nikki - Running Scared

It's a popular entry in the "worst ever winners list". It's not particularly bad, but rather unremarkable, bland and quite off vocally.
          Conspiracy theories still put doubts over this particular victory.
          #1 RUSSIA 2008
          Dima Bilan - Believe

One word: desperation.

Comment

My botom 10 winners.
            1. Conchita Wurst - Rise Like A Phoenix (2014) - 0 / 10
            2. Jamala - 1944 (2016) - 0 / 10
            3. Loreen - Euphoria (2012) - 0 / 10
            4. Netta - Toy (2018) - 0 / 10
            5. Ruslana - Wild Dances (2004) - 0 / 10
            6. Izhar Cohen and the Alphabeta - A-Ba-Ni-Bi (1978) - 0 / 10
            7. Salome - Vivo Cantando (1969) - 1 / 10
            8. Gali Atari and Milk and Honey - Hallelujah (1979) - 1 / 10
            9. Marija Sherifovic - Molitva (2007) - 1 / 10
            10. Anne-Marie David - Tu Te Reconnaitras (1973) - 2 / 10

Dima Bilan - Believe (26th place in 2008)
            Ell and Nikki - Running Scared (8th place in 2011) - 6 / 10
            Linda Martin - Why Me ? (10th place in 1992)
            Last edited by LastDreamer; Wed July 24, 2019, 19:46.
            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Dima Bilan - Believe (26th place in 2008)
              Ell and Nikki - Running Scared (8th place in 2011) - 6 / 10
              Linda Martin - Why Me ? (10th place in 1992)
              "Running Scared" ain't sounding that bad as a studio version, but it all came crushing live.
              I am actually alright with "Rise Like A Phoenix", it's one of the fans' favourite.
              The usual "worst ever" lists include Estonia 2001 and Latvia 2002 most of the time.

Comment

Now back to the main business
                #5 FINLAND 2006
                Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah

Finland was one of the constant underachievers at the Eurovision Song Contest. They needed to do something to at finally seem competitive and they did.
                In hindsight, Lordi's victory looks almost inevitable. Maybe, if this was 2007 or 2008 edition (when trolls tried to take over), LT United would have won over Lordi, but not in 2006. Some fans still believe the gimmick won, but at the end of the day "Hard Rock Hallelujah" is damn catchy, albeit slightly dated. In the mid 2000s, the hard rock made some sort of a comeback in the form of The Darkness, Wolfmother & Jet, so in a way Lordi took care of the shock rock side of the musical spectrum.
                The music video for "Hard Rock Hallelujah" still manages to get a considerable number of views on the daily basis and has just crossed the 48 million mark (the Eurovision performance has about 32M views). Not too bad, considering the fact it was uploaded three years after their victory.

Comment

#4 PORTUGAL 2017
                  Salvador Sobral - Amar Pelos Dois

Some of the fans think it's the "most boring", the "worst" winner ever...I beg to differ. Bring me the national language rule and the live orchestra.
                  Like Finland before 2006, Portugal was the underachiever of the Eurovision Song Contest (both countries' had 6th place as their best result before the eventual winner).
                  The fact that the song was written by Salvador's sister, Luisa Sobral, meant a lot. The song was never intended to appear at the Eurovision stage, Luisa initial idea was basically to get some attention to Salvador's catalogue, because his recent album has gone under the radar.
                  It's one of those very rare instances when the song literally grew on the fandom and the general listener.
                  "Amar Pelos Dois" only finished third in the televote in the Festival Da CanÁ„o 2017 semifinal and the televote runner-up in the FdC2017 final, both times bailed out by the juries. Initial reception by the bookmakers was lukewarm, "Amar Pelos Dois" was expected to get to the mid-table in the final, but that was about it initially. But overtime the "less is more" gamble really paid off, because Salvador started to really stand out in a field where singers try to out-shout each other for attention.
                  Eventual ESC victory was still surprising, due to the number of points the song received from the televote.
                  Some might say that illness, Salvador's controversial attitude or the "La La Land" being a hit at that time were factors that played a significant part in Portugal's 2017 victory. I am not really convinced by any of those arguments though.
                  What I do like is that larger-than-life song story. Essentially Salvador's success was a factor in him being moved up the queue for a heart transplant surgery, so "Amar Pelos Dois" played a bigger role than it seems on the surface.
                  My favourite version of the song is the reprise duet Salvador & Luisa did in both the FdC and at the Eurovision (starts at 3:56).

The arrangement by LuŪs Figueiredo is also worth noted. The key changes from C7 over B7b5, which makes the song sound much more complex than it appears to the casual ear. When your song gets the support of Caetano Veloso, it means you did something right.
                  Some of the Eastern European commentators also pointed out that "Amar Pelos Dois" totally sounds like a Brazilian telenovela music. And then it got featured by Globo in the opening credits of "Tempo De Amar".

Comment

Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah (35th place in 2006) - 2 / 10
                    Salvador Sobral - Amar Pelos Dois (19th place in 2017) - 4 / 10

Now I really can't predict your top 3.

Comment

Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah (35th place in 2006) - 2 / 10
                      Salvador Sobral - Amar Pelos Dois (19th place in 2017) - 4 / 10

Now I really can't predict your top 3.
                      I don't think there's any of your faves in my top 3, but the clue is there isn't any of your bottom 10 winners either.

Comment

I liked The Voice and it should have done better commercially.
                        So should Lordi, for that matter.
                        Ruslana had everything but a decent song. I loved her later song with T-Pain
                        Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Omg De Troubadour! And Amar Pelos Dois! Both belong in my favs winners row! Awesome to see them here!
                          You drew stars around my scars

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                            I liked The Voice and it should have done better commercially.
                            So should Lordi, for that matter.
                            Ruslana had everything but a decent song. I loved her later song with T-Pain
                            That song with T-Pain was alright.
                            Lordi did alright in continental Europe, but UK couldn't care less about Eurovision that year, hence it only peaked at #25, I think

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                              Omg De Troubadour! And Amar Pelos Dois! Both belong in my favs winners row! Awesome to see them here!
                              Thank you for the comment!
                              Both are great, but not too well received by the Eurovision fandom for some reason.

Comment

#3 ISRAEL 1998
                                Dana International - Diva

Even if now Dana is mostly reduced to lipsync for her career, the moment Dana International entered the contest, the stir has arrived at the scene. First it happened at the local level, and then at the Eurovision itself (she even appeared at then popular show "Eurotrash" in "A Song For The Eurotrash" episode).
                                My absolute favourite version is the hebrew studio one, it's one hell of a catchy and epic song, with the songwriters finding a clever way around the national language rule essentially making a proper noun-based chorus. At the core, it sounds like a modernised euro schlager with a lite twist in a form of ethnic mid 8. Also, the music video is quite stylish and showcases Dana International being a true "Diva" through time and multiple cultural references.
                                Last edited by heppolo; Wed July 31, 2019, 15:07.

Comment

"A Song For Eurotrash" is iconic and every ESC fan must watch it.

Not all songs were included in TV version and there are some additional tracks on album.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-A-So...release/946422
                                  Last edited by LastDreamer; Sun July 28, 2019, 06:32.

Comment

Ahh Diva is such a classic!!
                                    You drew stars around my scars

Comment

Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan - Rock'n'Roll Kids
                                      Outrageous. It's not a bad track but it was clear that the juries favoured songs performed in English instead of valueing better entries back in the day. Edyta should have won.

When it comes to your "Worst Winners" list, I partly agree.
                                      "Believe" was horrible in every aspects: The over-the-top performance which didn't make any sense, Dima's arrogant ego, his hard pronunciation, the basic and dull lyrics. It was indeed so effing desperate: Calculated as f*ck, zero authenticity or compassion.

When it comes to Azerbaijan, I can actually apply my comment from above. However, I do like this track + 2011 was a bad edition anyway. Many bad and mediocre entries or brilliant tunes which got butchered live (France, United Kingdom, Poland) so that, in the end, I'm happy that they won. Tbh, Lena deserved to get another victory for Germany that year. Her performance was groundbreaking (for Eurovision standards).

"Why Me" was simply meh.

I'd have placed Latvia 2002 inside my Top 3, for sure.

Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah
                                      Another meh from me.

Salvador Sobral - Amar Pelos Dois
                                      I agree with you saying that it's one of the best winners ever. It felt genuine, authentic and emotional and I love the song! However, I don't need the orchestra or the language rule back. I don't want juries pushing mediocre entries from Ireland, Malta and the UK again and make them win (like what they did back in the 90s).

Dana International - Diva
                                      One word: Iconic.
                                      Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                        Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan - Rock'n'Roll Kids
                                        Outrageous. It's not a bad track but it was clear that the juries favoured songs performed in English instead of valueing better entries back in the day. Edyta should have won.
                                        "Rock'n'Roll Kids" is like "More Than Words" of Eurovision for me. Acoustic rock ballads were quite well-received in the early 90s, by the way. Edyta tried replicating Mariah Carey too much and Mariah Carey is an immediate "no" for me Just kidding, Edyta also deserved it, but I think had the televoting been in place Germany could have had a real shot at a victory in 1994.

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                        Tbh, Lena deserved to get another victory for Germany that year. Her performance was groundbreaking (for Eurovision standards).
                                        I kinda agree, although I favoured Raphael Gualazzi in 2011. I have been waiting for that jazz victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                                          Ahh Diva is such a classic!!
                                          It kinda undeperformed in the UK chart though, "Diva" deserved to be top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                            It kinda undeperformed in the UK chart though, "Diva" deserved to be top 10.
                                            "Diva" was released in UK only in the end of June, that's why it wasn't a big hit.

Comment

I agree with everything on this page!

Love Finland, Portugal & Israel and dislike Azerbaijan & Russia (in the mentioned years).
                                              2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

"Diva" was released in UK only in the end of June, that's why it wasn't a big hit.
                                                oh yeah, thank you for the correction, I think the official release date in the United Kingdom was around 15.06.1998, so #11 was probably the best it could have got

Comment

Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
                                                  I agree with everything on this page!

Love Finland, Portugal & Israel and dislike Azerbaijan & Russia (in the mentioned years).
                                                  Thank you for commenting!
                                                  Russia had so many better entries than "Believe" (even Dima's own 2006 entry was better than that mess).

Comment

#2 NORWAY 1995
                                                    Secret Garden - Nocturne

The classical case of "if you can't beat them join them". 90s Eurovision was all about new age music and Irish sounds, so Norway found a violin (and an Irish violinist) on their path to the ultimate glory.
                                                    Some people complain that the song barely has any lyrical and vocal input in it, which is true. But in a grand scheme of things, this is definitely a winner like none other. Also this song is probably quite painful for Spanish Eurofans since they got so close with "Vuelve Conmigo" that year.
                                                    Others might say Shrek used a variation of this melody, but actually Secret Garden is a bit more than just this occasional Eurovision glory and soundtracks. At the end of the day, "You Raise Me Up" was penned by Secret Garden, and Rolf LÝvland is one of the few people that won Eurovision twice (also as the "La Det Swinge" songwriter).
                                                    "Nocturne" even had a music video (11 million views is quite impressive for the 90s ESC winner).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X