No announcement yet.

Heppolo's top 20 Eurovision winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most overrated ESC entry, even more than "Euphoria".

Secret Garden - Nocturne (21st place from 23 entries) - 2 / 10

Deuce should win in that year, but UK did very wrong choice.
    Last edited by LastDreamer; Thu August 1, 2019, 15:30.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
      Most overrated ESC entry.
      Really though? It wasn't a hit, never really charted anywhere, it wasn't even the most commercially successful out of all 1995 entries. It has a very positive ESC community response for (obviously) quite complex and rich arrangement, the vocal's input ain't bad either.
      By the way, my 1995 faves are "Sama" and "Fra Mols Til Skagen", whilst "Nocturne" might probably only be 4th or 5th in my own 1995 ranking (depending on my mood), that contest was quite sombre, chamber and "high-brow".
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Deuce should win in that year, but UK did very wrong choice.
        Deuce had a great song on their hands, but they couldn't really sing live at all, and back in the 90s this would have been an issue with the juries. The end result would have been the same UK had with Gina G a year later, but maybe Deuce would have had a bigger hit on the back of a Eurovision entry, that is true.

Comment

A word about some of the runner-ups
          "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" is always the case with the Eurovision and here's my list of 5 songs who would have been pretty high in this list if they had won their respective editions.
          #5 GERMANY 1981
          Lena Valaitis - Johnny Blue
          A big hit in the Eastern Europe. Very melodic and melancholic entry. Lena's voice cuts deep.

#4 ICELAND 1999
          Selma - All out of luck

Okay, Charlotte win was for all of the blondes like me, but Selma actually had one of the most 90s Eurovision songs that would have been more in tune with what was on the radio back then. Bubblegum music and an uplifting message, so what's not to like here.
          #3 BELGIUM 2003
          Urban Trad - Sanomi

So this was basically the new age last hurrah in the Eurovision, it lost by a point in the hard fought battle against Turkish ethnopop that year which was a sign of things to come (Ukraine 2004, Greece 2005 winners). Imaginary language's best result at the Eurovision so far.
          #2 ITALY 1974
          Gigliola Cinquetti - Si

So ABBA won that year, but Gigliola did her best to mount a challenge. The song is a melodramatic, theatrical effort, where the orchestra plays a pivotal part. The arrangement is relatively complex and demanding.
          #1 FRANCE 1991
          Amina Annabi - C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison

I expect LastDreamer to say this is the second most overrated song of all time
          However, I respect the fact that Carola won that year, but Amina is probably one of the most unlucky contestants ever, since the rule that made her the runner-up in 1991 was later changed the other way round.
          This song combines traditional french, northern african, new age elements in a very mythical, spiritual mix.

Comment

Here's a short report on Amina's Eurovision journey (w/ English subtitles)

Comment

Possibly your # 1 is Turkey 2003 or Greece 2005.
              In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Possibly your # 1 is Turkey 2003 or Greece 2005.
                A little hint: I am an avid supporter of national language rule (and non-English language entries in general). And it's not in French.

Comment

Have 0 clues, now! Intrigued...
                  trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                  trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                    Deuce had a great song on their hands, but they couldn't really sing live at all, and back in the 90s this would have been an issue with the juries. The end result would have been the same UK had with Gina G a year later, but maybe Deuce would have had a bigger hit on the back of a Eurovision entry, that is true.
                    I loved Deuce. Their album far exceeds any Steps release and most of Girls Aloud's albums. Lisa Armstrong (the brunette) is now known for being Ant from Ant and Dec's (now ex) partner and a make-up artist for Strictly Come Dancing.
                    Love City Groove were terrible.

Nocturne is alright.
                    Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                      Indeed, any other song in "A Song For Europe"'95 was better.
                      How this entry was selected instead Samantha Fox, Deuce or Dear Jon ?

Comment

I loved Deuce. Their album far exceeds any Steps release and most of Girls Aloud's albums. Lisa Armstrong (the brunette) is now known for being Ant from Ant and Dec's (now ex) partner and a make-up artist for Strictly Come Dancing.

Nocturne is alright.
                        Love City Groove was the BBCs vision of 90s rap, I didn't like it, but it was kinda funny to hear Terry Wogan cheering for it.
                        Deuce at least needed to hire some proper backing vocalists for the gig.

Comment

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
                          Luxembourg 1965
                          France Gall - Poupée de cire, poupée de son

Bringing pop to Eurovision. Love the tempo and France's disregard for conventional singing technique.
                          Germany 1982
                          Nicole - Ein bisschen Frieden

A pan-European #1, and a proud moment for Ralph Siegel and Nicole (12 points from Israel to Germany). I respect the value and the impact, but the original is so sugary sweet that there is one downside. I can't make myself to listen to it anymore, I'd rather choose an electropop Norwegian-language remake by Kamferdrops

SWEDEN 1984
                          Herreys - Diggi-loo diggi-ley

The infamous and some might say "the worst ever". But if the majority thinks Netta had the first joke entry winner, they might be wrong. However, there is an apparent nordic myth about the golden shoes, so little did I know. This is weirdly memetastic and has the charm of an 80s trainwreck and the first boyband victory, by the way.

And ABBA's victory was significant for the industry...I guess.

Comment

#1 ITALY 1964
                            Gigliola Cinquetti - Non ho l'eta

A different kind of song, as sobby as it might seem, I can't see why this isn't the picture perfect "coming-of-age" story. It might be easily dismissed as another song about love on the surface, but deep down it's a song about the elusive youth, about those bigger-than-life, overwhelming feelings and emotions.
                            Gigliola might not be the strongest singer technically, however, even at the age of 16 she had the artistic style of singing that made the whole thing convincing.
                            Since the idea of Eurovision originated on the basis of SanRemo festival, this song seems the only rightful winner in my eyes.
                            Recently a documentary called "Non ho l’età – The song that touched a generation of immigrants" has been made.

Thanks to her reassuring aspect, Gigliola found her way into their hearts and those of many other Italian immigrants all over the world. A symbol of the Italy they left behind, she became an object of veneration, resulting in her receiving thousands and thousands of fan letters.

Four of these letters, having survived intact to the present day, tell of Carmela, don Gregorio, Gabriella and Lorella and of their experience as “immigrants”.

The studio version of this song was even featured in "Dio, come ti amo!" movie
                            Last edited by heppolo; Sat August 3, 2019, 21:00.

Comment

Brilliant #1 and, I guess, I would also place it at #1!
                              trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                              trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                                Brilliant #1 and, I guess, I would also place it at #1!
                                I am glad I am not alone in admiring this song.

Comment

I prefer her other song Si / Go (2nd to Waterloo in 74)
                                  Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

I prefer her other song Si / Go (2nd to Waterloo in 74)
                                    For me they are both great, which is surprising since Gigliola has been in & out of this music biz for a while because of the issues with her voice, but the composers were doing their job well almost every single time Gigliola entered San Remo comptetition.

Comment

I didn't knew Non Ho L'eta, but it is so beautiful! Thanks for getting me aquinted with this gem! And to think she was only 16.....
                                      You drew stars around my scars

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                                        I didn't knew Non Ho L'eta, but it is so beautiful! Thanks for getting me aquinted with this gem! And to think she was only 16.....
                                        Thank you for stopping by, it's quite a gem.

Comment

"Johnny Blue" was winning material and should have actually won. What a tune!

I'm happy that "Nocturne" is your #2. It's one of my favourite winners in Eurovision history.
                                          It's magical, captivating and mystical. Clearly, a stand-out!

Triumphant #1. Well-deserved! It's one of my favourite entries from the pre-1997 era.
                                          Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
                                            "Johnny Blue" was winning material and should have actually won. What a tune!
                                            Eastern European TV stations had "Johnny Blue" as the continuity music.

Comment

I personally don't like Eurovision very much. I don't understand how they are and how they choose the winners. It happens that a country with a really beautiful song and a very beautiful performance falls into the 10-12th place, while a very simple and not interesting song falls into the first, second places. Because of this, I don't really like watching Eurovision very much. But I have friends who like it very much. They have a lot of favorite countries that make quite interesting songs. They even have a collection of karaoke songs that they sing in their company. So I will not condemn those people who like Eurovision. I just don't like it personally.

Comment

Working...
                                              X