X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heppolo
    Legend
    • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by trebor
    Really like Matchbox Twenty and this is a very good song.
    Maybe a bit too fluffy, polished and a safe AC production. Nevertheless, I really like it.
    Those were the times when such a sound could get you to #1 in America.
    Surprisingly, it's their only #1 hit in their career, yet "3am" or "Unwell" seem to be way more popular than "Bent"
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• heppolo
      Legend
      • 17 May 2009

#19 Elisa - Luce

Year of release: 2001
      Genre: Pop/Rock
      #1 in Italy

Here we go again with Italy and a San Remo number one in the chart. Elisa Toffoli could be written off as a Laura Pausini clone or as an Italian attempt at Alanis Morissette type of a career, but the recent release of "L'Anima Vola" made me come back to re-evaluate Elisa's discography and I come to terms that "Luce" is actually very good for 2001 (and a #1 single). The song is essentially about love and Elisa tells her lover to speak and then to listen to her.

"Luce" was re-released in English as "Come Speak To Me" a year later, so that you are able to compare two versions.

Comment

• heppolo
        Legend
        • 17 May 2009

#18 In-grid – Tu Es Foutu

Year of release: 2002
        Genre: Dance-pop, House
        #1 in Sweden in 2003

What's this one-hit wonder doing this high in the countdown? Probably I gave it a pass for being too European.
        In-Grid's debut single warned us via the "I Was a Ye-Ye Girl" title, but in "Tu Es Foutu (You Are Screwed)" In-Grid comes guns blazing, turning 60s pop into a groovy dance track.
        The accordeon-based hook is quite infectious (it can certainly compete with Verka Serduchka's "Dancing Lasha Tumbai" in the catchiest accordeon-based hooks competition).

Comment

• trebor
          • 01 Aug 2014

#19 Elisa
          Oh, this is a nice surprise! Magnificent song. NB: Full title: "Luce (Tramonti A Nord Est)"
          Amazingly enough, she is still a relevant artist with chart success in Italy.

Comment

• heppolo
            Legend
            • 17 May 2009

#19 Elisa
            Oh, this is a nice surprise! Magnificent song. NB: Full title: "Luce (Tramonti A Nord Est)"
            Amazingly enough, she is still a relevant artist with chart success in Italy.
            Yes, it seems like San Remo is a better career opportunity than Eurovision, lots of successful carrers in the last two decades alone.
            Elisa even has been featured in the Imagine Dragons' "Birds" recently.

Comment

• trebor
              • 01 Aug 2014

San Remo:
              Yes, definitely; but it always depends how strong the act itself is. It helps to kick-start you overnight. Question is whether some of the successful artists wouldn't have made it and found fame going the regular way.

#18 In-Grid:
              Not crazy mad about it. Remember it was on power-play on VIVA or MTV. It's a bit of a novelty, and she is not even French.

Comment

• Magnus
                Manager
                • 15 Feb 2004

#20 Matchbox Twenty - Bent
                #19 Elisa - Luce

"Bent" is amazing! It's one of my favourite songs ever with male vocals (especially from 2000 onwards)! It was a #1 on my chart in 2000, #4 on the YEC and #54 (which feels too low) on my decade chart for 2000-2009. Didn't expect to see it here!

I had totally forgotten that "Come Speak to Me" wasn't the original version. This reached #2 on my chart, YEC #10 (2002) and DEC #224. Elisa also had four other songs in my top 10 in 2002-2003.
                Last edited by Magnus; Sat August 17, 2019, 23:17. Reason: Corrected typo
                Weekly Top 30 | 2020 YEC | 2018 YEC | 2017 YEC | 2016 YEC | 2015 YEC

Comment

• heppolo
                  Legend
                  • 17 May 2009

#18 In-Grid:
                  Not crazy mad about it. Remember it was on power-play on VIVA or MTV. It's a bit of a novelty, and she is not even French.
                  Yes, it was in (kinda) broken French, yet that accordeon hook was something quite unusual and distinctive.

Comment

• heppolo
                    Legend
                    • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by Magnus
                    #20 Matchbox Twenty - Bent
                    #19 Elisa - Luce

"Bent" is amazing! It's one of my favourite songs ever with male vocals (especially from 2000 onwards)! It was a #1 on my chart in 2000, #4 on the YEC and #54 (which feels too low) on my decade chart for 2000-2009. Didn't expect to see it here!

I had totally forgotten that "Come Speak to Me" wasn't the original version. This reached #2 on my chart, YEC #10 (2002) and DEC #224. Elisa also had four other songs in my top 10 in 2002-2003.
                    wow, that "Bent" run is actually pretty strong.
                    Elisa surely had some great songs in her discography

Comment

• heppolo
                      Legend
                      • 17 May 2009

#17 Stereophonics - Dakota

Year of release: 2005
                      Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop/Rock
                      #1 in the UK

The road to #1 wasn't easy for Stereophonics, it took them a few big hits and successful albums to finally get there. I have to say that "Language. Sex. Violence. Other?" is my favourite Stereophonics album, it's a bit darker and more packed with guitar riffs than their previous efforts.
                      However, chart-wise it went downhill from "Dakota" for Stereophonics.

Comment

• Benny
                        Legend
                        • 20 Dec 2009

'Tu es foutu' was a sleeper hit in Germany in 2003. It was one of two big French hits at the time, the other one being Kate Ryan's cover version of Mylène Farmer's 'Désenchantée'.

'Dakota' is great, my favourite Stereophonics song.

Comment

• heppolo
                          Legend
                          • 17 May 2009

#16 Oasis - Lyla

Year of release: 2005
                          Genre: Britpop
                          #1 in the UK

I always loved Oasis attempts at anthemic rock, because Liam lived up to a rock'n'roll status. And it wasn't really important if the lyrics were crap or the song sounded samey, if you have Liam's loud mouth at the front you are good to go.

Comment

• heppolo
                            Legend
                            • 17 May 2009

#15 La Roux - Bulletproof

Year of release: 2009
                            Genre: Synthpop
                            #1 in the UK

Just like The Ting Tings, La Roux sadly proved to be a one-album wonder. Nevertheless, both "Bulletproof" and "In For The Kill" are the classics of new synthpop era. Moreover, the instrumental in "Bulletproof" uses the 8-bit music as the reference point.

Comment

• heppolo
                              Legend
                              • 17 May 2009

#14 Emiliana Torrini – Jungle Drum

Year of release: 2009
                              Genre: Indie Pop, Indie Rock
                              #1 in Germany, Belgium(Flanders), Austria

We've reached the point when the whole thing might be dismissed as a joke or a kids tv countdown (especially by the Germans, who suffered a seven-week run of "Jungle Drum" at #1).
                              However, this song is almost irresistible and can be compared with some of the catchiest Nancy Sinatra songs.

Comment

• Benny
                                Legend
                                • 20 Dec 2009

'Bulletproof' & 'Jungle Drum' are both great, though the latter was overplayed to death on German radio.

Comment

• heppolo
                                  Legend
                                  • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by Benny
                                  'Tu es foutu' was a sleeper hit in Germany in 2003. It was one of two big French hits at the time, the other one being Kate Ryan's cover version of Mylène Farmer's 'Désenchantée'.

'Dakota' is great, my favourite Stereophonics song.
                                  Yeah, I kept seeing 'Tu Es Foutu' on VIVA every now and then in 2003.

Comment

• jszmiles
                                    Site Supporter
                                    • 02 Jan 2004

Bulletproof and Jungle Drum are classic for me, really enjoyed them back them. M20 had better with Unwell.

Dakota is best from last bunch of songs, made me love Stereophonics actually
                                    KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• heppolo
                                      Legend
                                      • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by Benny
                                      'Bulletproof' & 'Jungle Drum' are both great, though the latter was overplayed to death on German radio.
                                      'Jungle Drum' wasn't meant to be that successful in Germany, it was a little twee indie pop song at heart

Comment

• trebor
                                        • 01 Aug 2014

RE: Jungle Drum
                                        This is from Wikipedia
                                        In 2009 it also appeared in the Germany's Next Topmodel TV show.[10] Thus, the song became very popular in German-speaking countries

Comment

• heppolo
                                          Legend
                                          • 17 May 2009

Originally posted by jszmiles
                                          Bulletproof and Jungle Drum are classic for me, really enjoyed them back them. M20 had better with Unwell.

Dakota is best from last bunch of songs, made me love Stereophonics actually
                                          'Dakota' is so well-thought, it manages to grab you and keeps the listener pumped till the very end of the song.

Comment

Working...