Heppolo's #1s Top 100 of 2000s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
    Loose was sensational - that whole Nelly Furtado era was perfection and i adored All good things (come to an end) so its great to see this making your top 100.
    That was the era of stellar production.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

#79 Kylie Minogue - 2 Hearts

Year of release: 2007
      Genre: Pop/Rock, Glam Rock
      #1 in Australia, Spain

The only thing stopping this from getting higher on my countdown is the fact that it is a cover. I loved the whole X era and "2 Hearts" was a little throwback to indie/rock Kylie of the 90s I loved.

Comment

#78 Starsailor - Four To The Floor

Year of release: 2004
        Genre: Pop/rock
        #1 in France, Belgium (Wallonia)

Here's to my favourite genre, british pop/rock. Surprisingly, Starsailor's only #1 hit was not in their homeland, but overseas.

Comment

#77 Sugababes - Round Round

Year of release: 2002
          Genre: Pop
          #1 in the UK

Xenomania at their peak. The abrupt change at the mid 8 can be another highlight besides a pretty catchy hook and the solid instrumental part the song has.

Comment

#76 McFly - Transylvania

Year of release: 2007
            Genre: Pop/rock, Pop/punk
            #1 in the UK

Okay, McFly were dismissed as a boyband, yet they still managed to produce some nice tunes, including this one, which barely managed to get to the #1 in the UK, only to fall to #19 the week after. This was the time when McFly was starting to run out of steam and lose their initial teenage girl fanbase.
            They should have let Dougie sing more often, he had an unusual boyish kind of high-pitched voice.
            Last edited by heppolo; Sun August 11th, 2019, 17:45.

Comment

I love Transylvania - it's such a unique song for a boyband.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                I love Transylvania - it's such a unique song for a boyband.
                It was pretty underrated unfortunately (even considering it was a #1 single)

Comment

Spectacular countdown! I'm really enjoying it.
                  trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                  trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                    Spectacular countdown! I'm really enjoying it.
                    Thank you for the comment. I am hoping there won't be too many disappointments as we reach the higher ranges of this top.

Comment

#75 MGMT - Kids

Year of release: 2008
                      Genre: Synthpop
                      #1 in Norway

Okay, I personally prefer "Time To Pretend", but I still have to feature fellow indie darlings of 2000s.
                      This song got featured in many commercials, TV spot, got two music videos.
                      Interesting fact: because Norwegain official chart (VG-lista) has only 20 songs in it, "Kids" dropped out the chart completely the next week after hitting the #1 spot. Quite an unusual feat for a non-festive/non-Christmas single.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                        Thank you for the comment. I am hoping there won't be too many disappointments as we reach the higher ranges of this top.
                        Well thanks to my countdown i already know what your #1 is (unless there's been a change of heart in the last 2 years) so i'm kinda more intrigued in discovering which song is finishing in 2nd place.

Ahh forgetting it's not just UK #1 singles.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                          Well thanks to my countdown i already know what your #1 is (unless there's been a change of heart in the last 2 years) so i'm kinda more intrigued in discovering which song is finishing in 2nd place.

Ahh forgetting it's not just UK #1 singles.
                          So a little bit exciting at least

Comment

#74 Mattafix - Big City Life

Year of release: 2005
                            Genre: Hip hop, Dancehall, Neo Soul
                            #1 in Germany, Italy, Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland

I actually never realised Marlon Roudette was part of Mattafix, but anyway. My memories of "Big City Life" are forever attached to that FIFA videogame I used to play as a teenager.
                            The mix between electronic background, reggae-styled vocal and an occasional rap thrown in the mix is quite interesting. "Big City Life" did much better in Europe than in the UK (only peaked at #15)

Comment

#73 H.I.M. - Join Me (In Death)

Year of release: 1999
                              Genre: Alternative Rock, Gothic Rock
                              #1 in Germany, Finland in 2000

H.I.M. pushed that gothic style to the max and managed to get some hits on the back of it. However, not all of their songs stood the test of time.

Comment

#72 Red Hot Chili Peppers By The Way

Genre: Alternative Rock, Funk Rock
                                #1 in Italy

Almost made it to number 1 in the United Kingdom. The bassline here is just off the charts.

Comment

i LOVE Join Me, I have listened to this kind of music that time a lot.
                                  KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                                    i LOVE Join Me, I have listened to this kind of music that time a lot.
                                    H.I.M. was so popular in Europe in particular in the early 2000s.

Comment

#71 Giusy Ferreri - Novembre

Year of release: 2008
                                      Genre: Pop, Electropop
                                      #1 in Italy

Giusy is the runner-up of the first italian edition of X-factor, "November" was her second single and the vocal is basically what carries her to this top 100. The song is a bit faster than the average italian pop, Giusy's deep voice makes it a bit too dramatic & loud for a contemporary pop song we hear on the radio.

Comment

#70 Die Gerd Show Die Steuersong

Genre: Parody
                                        #1 in Germany

German Spitting Image equivalent accidentally strikes gold with this "Asereje" parody.
                                        Even with my very limited knowledge of German, I still find it funny (mostly because not only it was true, but it also turned out quite prophetic, considering that Gerhard works now for Rosneft and big money).

Comment

Lady is a classic - much better than the Stardust hit or the similar Daft Punk hits.

Round Round - your description is correct. Xenomania are quite lost without their big acts now.
                                          Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (11th July 20) - Jessie Ware breaks a record! Plus Jessie Frye, Teenage Joans, AA Williams, Allie X, Samantha Crain, Future Islands, San Cisco, Static-X, Ghum, Liza Owen, Wye Oak, Declan McKenna, Blues Pills, Kid Cudi ft Eminem, Polly Scattergood, Dream Wife, Willie Nelson, Keleketla!...

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                            Lady is a classic - much better than the Stardust hit or the similar Daft Punk hits.

Round Round - your description is correct. Xenomania are quite lost without their big acts now.
                                            I hope they aren't gonna be involved in some dreadful Eurovision effort (like Waterman & Stock in 2010).

Comment

#69 Robbie Williams - Tripping

Year of release: 2005
                                              Genre: Pop, Funk, Reggae
                                              #1 in Germany, Italy

A slightly more playful affair from Robbie this time. The rhythm and tempo of the song has been influenced by the earlier work of The Clash. I have to give credit to the wonderful production team here, they made sure "Tripping" sounds polished and sleek.

Comment

#68 Gabriella Cilmi Sweet About Me

Year: 2008
                                                Genre: Pop, Soul
                                                #1 in Australia, Norway, Netherlands

Another exhibit of Xenomania's quality. Gabriella was dismissed as an Amy Winehouse trend chaser back in the day, yet this song holds up even without those comparisons. Gabriella's not having the easiest of time post "Sweet About Me", so I ain't gonna let her rightful place in this top 100 slip away.
                                                "Sweet About Me" won multiple ARIA Awards as well, got featured in plenty of commercials and even in two telenovelas. Not too bad for a song inspired by 60s psychedelia.

Comment

#67 Kent - Dom Andra

Genre: Indie Rock, Alternative Rock
                                                  #1 in Sweden

The year is 2002, Kent is one the biggest alternative bands in Scandinavia, this is the first single of their new album, and there was no other way for it, but to reach that #1 spot in Sweden.
                                                  In fact, Kent did try to make it with the English-language stuff, but they were unfortunate because that attempt was done during the in-between stage when britpop was slowly dying and post-britpop (Travis, Keane, Coldplay, Stereophonics) bands becoming a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

#66 Britney Spears - Toxic

Year of release: 2004
                                                    Genre: Pop
                                                    #1 in the UK, Austalia, Canada, Portugal, Norway, Ireland

Sampling controversy aside (that bhangra music bit), this is a brilliant pop record. Multiple awards later, it's safe to say "Toxic" stood the test of time.
                                                    However, this song is featured in my list mostly because of my respect to Cathy Dennis, she should have released this herself just to deprive Britney of a great #1 single.

Comment

Kids, Big City Life, Join Me & Toxic are all great!
                                                      My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

The best one so far:

#87 Nelly Furtado – All Good Things (Come to an End)

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                                                          The best one so far:

#87 Nelly Furtado – All Good Things (Come to an End)
                                                          Thank you for the comment.
                                                          As far as I remember you're not a fan of male artists, yet the indie/alternative music, especially the #1s is very male-dominated

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                                                            Kids, Big City Life, Join Me & Toxic are all great!
                                                            Thank you for the comment. "Join Me" nod is a bit surprising

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                                              Thank you for the comment.
                                                              As far as I remember you're not a fan of male artists, yet the indie/alternative music, especially the #1s is very male-dominated
                                                              Correct, although male artists used to have a little more success on my chart than nowadays. I like these, and four of them even charted on my chart, highest "Join Me" which reached #14. ("Dom andra" is one of only two Kent songs that charted on my chart.)

#100. Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
                                                              #93 Owl City - Fireflies
                                                              #91 U2 Beautiful Day
                                                              #82 Our Lady Peace - Somewhere Out There
                                                              #73 H.I.M. - Join Me (In Death)
                                                              #67 Kent - Dom andra

Comment

Working...
                                                              X