No announcement yet.

Heppolo's #1s Top 100 of 2000s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh Love Profusion, the times when Madonna was herself and didn't try so hard to please the publicity.

Oh Nelly's track is a pure pop gem, love it!

Kelis is fantastic as well
    KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
      oh Love Profusion, the times when Madonna was herself and didn't try so hard to please the publicity
      Back when Madonna had enough leverage for artistic freedom.
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

#84 Panjabi MC - Mundian To Bach Ke

Year of release: 1998 (original), 2002 (re-release)
        #1 in Italy, Belgium (Wallonia) in 2003
        Genre: Bhangra, electronica, alternative hip hop

I don't like the Jay-Z remix, I much prefer the original version that got popular in Germany, Italy and all-over Europe on the basis of internet downloads.
        Now this song became more of a stereotype or a commodity, but anyway back in the day it was quite a different affair in comparison to what the charts were offering elsewhere.
        "Mundian To Bach Ke" is used frequently in western media when Indian characters are introduced or are on screen. It was used on an episode of ER, when Gallant and Neela danced to a version of the song, which Gallant called a "Sikh rap".

Comment

#83 Lady Gaga feat. Colby O’Donis – Just Dance

Year of release: 2008
          Genre: Dance-pop
          #1 in USA, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada

Maybe I just hate pretentious pop-stars (cause only rockstars are allowed to play the self-indulgent and pretentious card in my playbook), but this was Gaga not trying to reach for the global stardom by the means of production. Just a simple trashy dance-pop song, that is very in the late 2000s style.

Comment

#82 Our Lady Peace - Somewhere Out There

Year of release: 2002
            Genre: Alternative Rock, Post-Grunge, Pop/Rock
            #1 in Canada

During the late 1990s-early 2000s almost every country you can think of had at least one locally popular alternative rock band. In Canada that band was Our Lady Peace, and if the success outside Canada was limited, the band still managed to score two #1 hits at home.
            "Somewhere Out There" is what you would expect from a rock song that reached the #1 spot anywhere: anthemic, radio-friendly and easy to sell.

Comment

#81 Modjo – Lady (Hear Me Tonight)

Year of release: 2000
              Genre: French house, Nu-Disco
              #1 in the United Kingdom, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland

Nostalgia factor is huge in getting this one in my top 100, but surprisingly this song is still played frequently on the radio and in shopping malls. Back when it had been released, I considered it to be too inoffensive and slightly bland, but I got used to it.

Comment

I liked Panjabi MC back then, Lady Gaga's classic is good as well. Modjo's track is kinda boring today, loved it back then
                KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                  I liked Panjabi MC back then, Lady Gaga's classic is good as well. Modjo's track is kinda boring today, loved it back then
                  Modjo's track is waaaaay too repetitive, the whole song is built on that little sample.

Comment

#80 Atlas - Crawl

Year of release: 2007
                    Genre: Alternative Rock
                    #1 in New Zealand

I seriously doubt that anyone here on UKMix is familiar with this song, while it's the biggest rock hit of 2000s in NZ and managed to spend 7 weeks at #1 there. The band only managed to release one album, because the success of "Crawl" wasn't matched by any of the follow-up singles.

Comment

I've thought thought the whole American life album in general had a very dated sound. It even sounded dated when it was brand new. (still like the title track though). Love profusion is quite lush but again it's the production on the track that makes it a bit jarring in places.

Loose was sensational - that whole Nelly Furtado era was perfection and i adored All good things (come to an end) so its great to see this making your top 100.

Just dance is a bonafide 00s bop although i still personally think Lady Gaga went on to release stronger songs.

I really struggled with that whole french house invasion from the late 90s/early 00s. Apart from the odd exception like One more time and Starlight i really didn't have much interest in these tracks. I think Music sounds better with you kickstarted the trend and, despite being a huge smash, i always found the song really boring. Same with Groovejet to a lesser extent. Then again i was a pure unashamed teenybopper who loved S Club 7 back then.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                        Loose was sensational - that whole Nelly Furtado era was perfection and i adored All good things (come to an end) so its great to see this making your top 100.
                        That was the era of stellar production.

Comment

#79 Kylie Minogue - 2 Hearts

Genre: Pop/Rock, Glam Rock
                          #1 in Australia, Spain

The only thing stopping this from getting higher on my countdown is the fact that it is a cover. I loved the whole X era and "2 Hearts" was a little throwback to indie/rock Kylie of the 90s I loved.

Comment

#78 Starsailor - Four To The Floor

Year of release: 2004
                            Genre: Pop/rock
                            #1 in France, Belgium (Wallonia)

Here's to my favourite genre, british pop/rock. Surprisingly, Starsailor's only #1 hit was not in their homeland, but overseas.

Comment

#77 Sugababes - Round Round

Genre: Pop
                              #1 in the UK

Xenomania at their peak. The abrupt change at the mid 8 can be another highlight besides a pretty catchy hook and the solid instrumental part the song has.

Comment

#76 McFly - Transylvania

Genre: Pop/rock, Pop/punk
                                #1 in the UK

Okay, McFly were dismissed as a boyband, yet they still managed to produce some nice tunes, including this one, which barely managed to get to the #1 in the UK, only to fall to #19 the week after. This was the time when McFly was starting to run out of steam and lose their initial teenage girl fanbase.
                                They should have let Dougie sing more often, he had an unusual boyish kind of high-pitched voice.
                                Last edited by heppolo; Sun August 11th, 2019, 17:45.

Comment

I love Transylvania - it's such a unique song for a boyband.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                                    I love Transylvania - it's such a unique song for a boyband.
                                    It was pretty underrated unfortunately (even considering it was a #1 single)

Comment

Spectacular countdown! I'm really enjoying it.
                                      trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                      trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                                        Spectacular countdown! I'm really enjoying it.
                                        Thank you for the comment. I am hoping there won't be too many disappointments as we reach the higher ranges of this top.

Comment

#75 MGMT - Kids

Year of release: 2008
                                          Genre: Synthpop
                                          #1 in Norway

Okay, I personally prefer "Time To Pretend", but I still have to feature fellow indie darlings of 2000s.
                                          This song got featured in many commercials, TV spot, got two music videos.
                                          Interesting fact: because Norwegain official chart (VG-lista) has only 20 songs in it, "Kids" dropped out the chart completely the next week after hitting the #1 spot. Quite an unusual feat for a non-festive/non-Christmas single.

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                            Thank you for the comment. I am hoping there won't be too many disappointments as we reach the higher ranges of this top.
                                            Well thanks to my countdown i already know what your #1 is (unless there's been a change of heart in the last 2 years) so i'm kinda more intrigued in discovering which song is finishing in 2nd place.

Ahh forgetting it's not just UK #1 singles.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                                              Well thanks to my countdown i already know what your #1 is (unless there's been a change of heart in the last 2 years) so i'm kinda more intrigued in discovering which song is finishing in 2nd place.

Ahh forgetting it's not just UK #1 singles.
                                              So a little bit exciting at least

Comment

#74 Mattafix - Big City Life

Year of release: 2005
                                                Genre: Hip hop, Dancehall, Neo Soul
                                                #1 in Germany, Italy, Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland

I actually never realised Marlon Roudette was part of Mattafix, but anyway. My memories of "Big City Life" are forever attached to that FIFA videogame I used to play as a teenager.
                                                The mix between electronic background, reggae-styled vocal and an occasional rap thrown in the mix is quite interesting. "Big City Life" did much better in Europe than in the UK (only peaked at #15)

Comment

#73 H.I.M. - Join Me (In Death)

Year of release: 1999
                                                  Genre: Alternative Rock, Gothic Rock
                                                  #1 in Germany, Finland in 2000

H.I.M. pushed that gothic style to the max and managed to get some hits on the back of it. However, not all of their songs stood the test of time.

Comment

#72 Red Hot Chili Peppers – By The Way

Genre: Alternative Rock, Funk Rock
                                                    #1 in Italy

Almost made it to number 1 in the United Kingdom. The bassline here is just off the charts.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X