• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#65 Take That - Patience

Year of release: 2006
    Genre: Pop, Adult Contemporary
    #1 in the UK, Germany, Spain

What a comeback! After a very successful tour, Take That decided to come back for good, sounding actually stronger than ever. No longer the boyband, but a proper manband.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

#64 Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire

Year of release: 2008
      Genre: Alternative Rock, Southern Rock, Pop/Rock
      #1 in the UK, Australia, Ireland, Finland

I love the instrumental of this one, completely up my street, but I just can't get over the ridiculous lyrics. A very unexpected #1 back in the day, especially considering the fact it stayed at #1 in the UK for three weeks (a very unusual feat for a rock act in 2000s).

Comment

I forgot to say Kids is great.

Sweet About Me also.

Cathy's version of Toxic is surprisingly close to the actual single. She's making a comeback as an artist starting with live gigs.
        I used to adore her for that first album. Not so much after. Britney's video is a classic. Can you imagine Cathy doing Kylie's Can't Get You... in that dress? She wouldn't have pulled off either vid.
        Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (4th July 20) - Young Ejecta, Sault, Sunmi, Millie Turner, Clan Of Xymox, John Carpenter, Hacker T Dog, Hurts, Hayley Williams, Jessie Ware, Kitty, Arca, Nadine Shah, Haim, Ray Lamontagne, Daniel Avery, Snowgoose, Grey Daze, Fire Saga.....

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
          Cathy's version of Toxic is surprisingly close to the actual single. She's making a comeback as an artist starting with live gigs.
          I used to adore her for that first album. Not so much after. Britney's video is a classic. Can you imagine Cathy doing Kylie's Can't Get You... in that dress? She wouldn't have pulled off either vid.
          Brit's video is cool, Cathy just would have done something completely different, maybe a sassy sophisticated diva or something

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
            Cathy's version of Toxic is surprisingly close to the actual single.
            I think the production team kept some of her vocals in the actual version on the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              Correct, although male artists used to have a little more success on my chart than nowadays. I like these, and four of them even charted on my chart, highest "Join Me" which reached #14. ("Dom andra" is one of only two Kent songs that charted on my chart.)

#100. Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
              #93 Owl City - Fireflies
              #91 U2 – Beautiful Day
              #82 Our Lady Peace - Somewhere Out There
              #73 H.I.M. - Join Me (In Death)
              #67 Kent - Dom andra
              oh, I am surprised that so many songs were actually featured in your chart in some way

Comment

#63 U2 - Vertigo

Year of release: 2004
                Genre: Alternative Rock
                #1 in the UK, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Denmark

Here's to everyone's favourite savior of the world, Bono. "Vertigo" is what stadium rock is all about, loud riffs and shouting something incoherently about "A place called Vertigo"
                "Vertigo" was ranked 64th on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of the Decade (2000 to 2010)

Comment

#62 Christina Aguilera - Beautiful

Year of release: 2002
                  #1 in the UK, Germany, France, Australia, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium (Flanders & Wallonia)

I am not the biggest fan of those inspirational and uplifting songs (always reminds me of the whole CCM music), but Christina puts her own signature on this particular song. Regardless of me being petty, this is one of Christina's signature tunes and a song like this would have seriously upgraded any singer's catalogue.
                  I have to admit that I would have put "Fighter" much higher in my list if only it had managed to reach #1 anywhere
                  Last edited by heppolo; Mon August 12th, 2019, 17:32.

Comment

The ghey in you came out.

And Feminem blocked Beautiful in the USA.
                    Originally posted by beredy
                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                      The ghey in you came out.

And Feminem blocked Beautiful in the USA.
                      Thank you for the comment and a very important correction.

Comment

• #61 Razorlight - America

Genre: Pop/Rock, Indie Rock
                        #1 in the UK, Ireland

Who doesn't love a light dig at the good old US? Even if it's done by one of the most panned bands on the indie scene, I just can't help myself.

Comment

• #60 Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out

Genre: Britpop
                          #1 in Italy

One of the most adult contemporary songs Oasis had ever done. "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" delivered on the "simple tunes, good strong riffs and textbook lyrics", that's probably why the song was used as the ending theme for the 2004 film The Butterfly Effect and the Season 2 episode 'Red' of Smallville. It has also been featured in the film Made of Honor, and an episode of the short-lived soap North Shore. The number of views on youtube for the music video of "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" has already crossed the 100 million mark.
                          British singer-songwriter Leona Lewis recorded a cover version for her second studio album Echo (2009).

Comment

• #59 Arcitc Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

Year of release: 2005
                            Genre: Indie Rock, Garage Rock, Post-Punk Revival
                            #1 in the United Kingdom

That time when I suddenly discovered MySpace hype and those file-sharing services buzz with all those demos can mean business. One of the less accessible #1s the UK had during the whole 2000s.

Comment

• #58 The Killers - Human

Year of release: 2008
                              Genre: Synthpop, New Wave Revival
                              #1 in Norway

My verdict is that this song could not have sounded any more 80s even if The Killers tried harder. And not just the sound (the vibe is pretty close to Black, Ultravox, Alphaville classics), but also an attempt at conveying a philosophical message, "Are we human or are we dancer?".
                              What is more surprising that "Human" is the only #1 single anywhere in The Killers' discography so far.

Comment

• #57 Scissor Sisters – I Don’t Feel Like Dancing

Genre: Nu-disco
                                #1 in the UK, Australia, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Belgium (Flanders), Norway

The song possesses the tempo & arrangement of a classic disco song. Think Bee Gees or Leo Sayer, including the excessive use of falsetto vocals.

Comment

• #56 Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby

Genre: Indie Rock, Pop/Rock, Power Pop
                                  #1 in the UK

As it constantly happens with those #1s, this isn't the band's best song. However, the accessible nature of "Ruby" meant it's now included in tons of commercials, videogames and etc. The true measure of success in the UK is when the song has made it to the football stands in the form of chants

Comment

• #55 A-ha – Forever Not Yours

#1 in Norway

It seems like Norway (the homeland) was the only country at A-ha's wavelength during the early 2000s. Meanwhile, they put a lot of effort into their singles (I mean, just look at this majestic music video), the song itself was quite decent, carried a bit of drama and character.

Comment

• #54 Indochine - J'ai demandé à la lune

Genre: Alternative Rock
                                      #1 in France, Belgium (Wallonia)

It feels like ages ago since the last time any rock song managed to top the charts in France, the times have changed.
                                      "J'ai demandé à la lune" ("I asked the moon" in English) is the most popular song from the 2002 album Paradize which allowed Indochine to reconnect with the media and the wider fanbase that had abandoned the band a decade earlier.

Comment

• #53 Oasis – The Importance Of Being Idle

Year of release: 2005
                                        Genre: Britpop, Rock
                                        #1 in the UK, Italy

"The Importance Of Being Idle" was the example of Noel Gallagher channeling 70s rock. "The Importance of Being Idle" would prove to be the band's last UK number one prior to their break-up in 2009.

Comment

• #52 Suede - Positivity

Genre: Britpop
                                          #1 in Denmark

Initially Brett Anderson liked the song and considered it one of his favourites on the album. However, his views on the song would later change, saying: "When I first wrote it I thought it was a masterpiece but soon realized that many people were genuinely offended by it." On the song Anderson said it's about "someone who's really close to me, who doesn't have much in life but manages to deal with it incredibly well."

Comment

• #51 Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name

Year of release: 1992
                                            Genre: Alternative Metal, Funk Metal
                                            #1 in the UK in 2009

Anti-X Factor campaign was successful. If only they used a british metal band's song instead.
                                            Last edited by heppolo; Tue August 13th, 2019, 07:16.

Comment

• #50 The Streets - Dry Your Eyes

Genre: UK Hip-Hop
                                              #1 in the UK, Ireland

For the first two albums, Mike Skinner was going from strength to strength to the point when #1 seemed almost inevitable. He managed to score his #1 single with probably one of his sobbiest songs, especially the strings used throughout the song and for the outro. For those unfamiliar with The Streets, the style is almost more spoken word than rapping.

Comment

• #49 Juanes - La Camisa Negra

Genre: Cumbia, Pop/Rock, Latin pop
                                                #1 in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Switzerland, Austria

One of the biggest latin pop/rock hits of the 2000s. Some were annoyed by it (it was definitely overplayed), however, I have to give credit to the wonderful guitar work and riffs used for the instrumental of this song.
                                                This song is probably the most accessible form of latin pop/rock in existence (or at least I can't think of any other one).
                                                Weird fact: The song was even managed to attract plenty of controversy, since it had been used in Italy for a while in support of far-right movements because of the association to "black shirt". Juanes later dismissed any intentional connections.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                                  #51 Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
                                                  Schoolboy error.

I bought Dry Your Eyes.
                                                  Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (4th July 20) - Young Ejecta, Sault, Sunmi, Millie Turner, Clan Of Xymox, John Carpenter, Hacker T Dog, Hurts, Hayley Williams, Jessie Ware, Kitty, Arca, Nadine Shah, Haim, Ray Lamontagne, Daniel Avery, Snowgoose, Grey Daze, Fire Saga.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                                    Schoolboy error.
                                                    More like Mandela effect

Comment

• "Killing In The Name" at # 1 is the worst page in all long history of UK chart.
                                                      Even worse than godawful streaming induction.
                                                      My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                      In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                                        "Killing In The Name" at # 1 is the worst page in all long history of UK chart.
                                                        Even worse than godawful streaming induction.
                                                        For me personally, far from my ideal number one, but at least it's better than Drake and some of the poppiest hip-hop that got to #1. But in general I do prefer metal music over pop or hip-hop.

Comment

• #48 Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone

Year of release: 2009
                                                          Genre: EDM, Trance
                                                          #1 in the United Kingdom

I prefer this goofy early Calvin Harris to a popstar Calvin Harris we have now. And I'd rather see him doing vocals on his own tracks more often, he ain't THAT bad, it kinda makes the song more hip/indie.
                                                          If only "Ready For The Weekend" made it to number one in the UK, it would have been in my 2000s top 20 for sure.

Comment

• not a fan of Brit rock from that era but I do liked Ruby.
                                                            KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• #47 Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah

Genre: Hard Rock, Shock Rock
                                                              #1 in Finland

The only Eurovision winner in this countdown. In Finland's case desperate tracking record called for desperate measures.
                                                              When a representative of a particular alternative genre enters Eurovision, you can be sure that the genre is truly dead and buried. Lordi were known as the european caricature of GWAR and other american shock rock acts for a while, but at least that Eurovision win made sure they finally had a hit on their hands.
                                                              Chart-wise it's probably hard rock's last hurrah (The Darkness tried and even came close to a #1 in the 2000s).
                                                              They got a hero homecoming, setting a Guinness World Record along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X