No announcement yet.

Heppolo's #1s Top 100 of 2000s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Veronicas had many good (bordering on great) songs, and one amazing album track that was #26 on my Decade chart for the 00's (based on plays in 2000-2009). "Hook Me Up" is terrible though!

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
      The Veronicas had many good (bordering on great) songs, and one amazing album track that was #26 on my Decade chart for the 00's (based on plays in 2000-2009). "Hook Me Up" is terrible though!
      I like "Hook Me Up" because it's quite fast-paced, the pulsating electro tempo is the key here.
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Another great track from a-ha, I love 'Celice'!
        My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• #25 Mylène Farmer - Dégénération

Year of release: 2008
          Genre: Electronic, House
          #1 in France, Belgium (Wallonia)
          Extended version:

This was meant to start a new era for Mylène and she did kick it off in style via a little bit NSFW music video. Yet she managd to keep the sexy thing stylish.

Comment

• #24 Goodshirt - Sophie

Year of release: 2001
            Genre: Indie Rock
            #1 in New Zealand

I will be very surprised if anyone here on UKMix knows this song. NZ band made a very clever use of their NZ on Air funding and managed to get a number one single on the back of a sweet music video.
            Somehow it was quite hard for a NZ act to get to #1 even at home so this rare occasion deserves to be celebrated at least here.
            I also enjoy some of their other singles, like "Blowing Dirt" and "Fiji Baby"

Comment

• #23 Amy Winehouse - Rehab

Year of release: 2006
              Genre: Soul, Rhythm & Blues
              #1 in Norway in 2007

Initially it wasn't my favourite Amy's single, but slowly it kept climbing up the ranks and then later when the self-fulfilling prophecy sadly turned out to be true...
              Amy deserved many more #1s and not just in Norway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
                Another great track from a-ha, I love 'Celice'!
                It's a shame "Analogue" wasn't a #1 hit, it would have been in my top 10 in this chart for sure.

Comment

• Wow i had no idea Rehab was #1 anywhere. I just remember when this absolute gem cracked the american top 10 and it seemed like a big deal in the UK from what i can remember.

Norway definitely got that one correct. I always thought this song peaked higher than #7 in the UK though, seems like such an unjust chart peak.

Without doubt one of my favourite songs from the whole of the 00s, and quite possibly my favourite single from 2006. <3

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeP View Post
                    Wow i had no idea Rehab was #1 anywhere. I just remember when this absolute gem cracked the american top 10 and it seemed like a big deal in the UK from what i can remember.

Norway definitely got that one correct. I always thought this song peaked higher than #7 in the UK though, seems like such an unjust chart peak.

Without doubt one of my favourite songs from the whole of the 00s, and quite possibly my favourite single from 2006. <3
                    Somehow Amy singles were more of sleeper hits then instant smashes.

Comment

• #22 Kylie Minogue - Slow

Year of release: 2003
                      Genre: Pop, Synthpop
                      #1 in the UK, Australia, Spain, Denmark

One of the more exquisite Kylie singles. The electronic beat cuts through this song like a knife.
                      The music video is also getting the legendary status as years gone by.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                        Amy deserved many more #1s and not just in Norway.
                        Thanks for all music gods and goddesses she didn't have any # 1s in UK.
                        "Rehab" is awful song from my all-time # 1 least favourite singer.
                        My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                        In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                          I like female singers with a deeper, contralto voice (especially when they do play around the gender-stereotypical impression of what female vocal should sound like).

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                            exaggeration

Comment

• Best not to encourage him. Exaggeration is his thing. I'd have a bit more respect for a dead person and not be quite so forceful with my opinion, myself. Especially if you're invoking a type of god or goddess. Bit distasteful.

It may have "only" got to #7 but it stayed on the charts for a very long time. So the peak means nothing, really. It's one of the most played songs of the modern era. Love Is A Losing Game is the one Amy song i truly love.

Slow is great (another i bought - also bought the album) but i'm not as enamoured with it as some. It's certainly not her best chart topper.
                              Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (11th July 20) - Jessie Ware breaks a record! Plus Jessie Frye, Teenage Joans, AA Williams, Allie X, Samantha Crain, Future Islands, San Cisco, Static-X, Ghum, Liza Owen, Wye Oak, Declan McKenna, Blues Pills, Kid Cudi ft Eminem, Polly Scattergood, Dream Wife, Willie Nelson, Keleketla!...

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                Slow is great (another i bought - also bought the album) but i'm not as enamoured with it as some. It's certainly not her best chart topper.
                                I am not too fond of "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". The rest of her 2000s of Kylie's #1s are good and, depending on the mood, all of them can be my borderline top 100.

Comment

• #21 Arctic Monkeys – When The Sun Goes Down

Year of release: 2006
                                  Genre: Post-punk revival, Indie Rock
                                  #1 in the UK

I prefer the second Arctic Monkeys' number one single to their debut one, mainly because of the better production, pulsating tempo and a great, great music video.
                                  Maybe I put this a bit too low, but there are some cheesy shockers on the way in my top 20.

Comment

• Yeah, Top 20 now!
                                    Up to now good to great stuff. Most interesting countdown this year.
                                    Keep it up. Have so no clue what could be in the Top 20. #Perched
                                    trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                    trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• Originally posted by trebor View Post
                                      Yeah, Top 20 now!
                                      Up to now good to great stuff. Most interesting countdown this year.
                                      Keep it up. Have so no clue what could be in the Top 20. #Perched
                                      Thank you for this immense praise.
                                      I hope there ain't gonna be too many letdowns though

Comment

• #20 Matchbox Twenty - Bent

Year of release: 2000
                                        Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop/Rock
                                        #1 in USA, Canada

I am prepared to get a lot of backlash for putting "Bent" this high. It might seem like a pretty standard pop/rock single of the early 2000s, but I just can't get enough of Rob Thomas' voice here, especially during the "Start bending me/Keep bending me until I'm completely broken in" mid 8.
                                        There are multiple meanings to this song and it's quite open for interpretation. Rob Thomas told Billboard magazine that it's "a love song and a rock song; there's a hopeful tone to it. It's kind of like the person is saying, 'As misguided as I may be, these are things that it takes to be with me.'
                                        I'm a bit surprised Rob Thomas' solo career didn't really work out, he seemed to have it all to make it.

Comment

• Really like Matchbox Twenty and this is a very good song.
                                          Maybe a bit too fluffy, polished and a safe AC production. Nevertheless, I really like it.
                                          Those were the times when such a sound could get you to #1 in America.

Comment

Really like Matchbox Twenty and this is a very good song.
                                            Maybe a bit too fluffy, polished and a safe AC production. Nevertheless, I really like it.
                                            Those were the times when such a sound could get you to #1 in America.
                                            Surprisingly, it's their only #1 hit in their career, yet "3am" or "Unwell" seem to be way more popular than "Bent"

Comment

• #19 Elisa - Luce

Year of release: 2001
                                              Genre: Pop/Rock
                                              #1 in Italy

Here we go again with Italy and a San Remo number one in the chart. Elisa Toffoli could be written off as a Laura Pausini clone or as an Italian attempt at Alanis Morissette type of a career, but the recent release of "L'Anima Vola" made me come back to re-evaluate Elisa's discography and I come to terms that "Luce" is actually very good for 2001 (and a #1 single). The song is essentially about love and Elisa tells her lover to speak and then to listen to her.

"Luce" was re-released in English as "Come Speak To Me" a year later, so that you are able to compare two versions.

Comment

• #18 In-grid – Tu Es Foutu

Year of release: 2002
                                                Genre: Dance-pop, House
                                                #1 in Sweden in 2003

What's this one-hit wonder doing this high in the countdown? Probably I gave it a pass for being too European.
                                                In-Grid's debut single warned us via the "I Was a Ye-Ye Girl" title, but in "Tu Es Foutu (You Are Screwed)" In-Grid comes guns blazing, turning 60s pop into a groovy dance track.
                                                The accordeon-based hook is quite infectious (it can certainly compete with Verka Serduchka's "Dancing Lasha Tumbai" in the catchiest accordeon-based hooks competition).

Comment

• #19 Elisa
                                                  Oh, this is a nice surprise! Magnificent song. NB: Full title: "Luce (Tramonti A Nord Est)"
                                                  Amazingly enough, she is still a relevant artist with chart success in Italy.

Comment

#19 Elisa
                                                    Oh, this is a nice surprise! Magnificent song. NB: Full title: "Luce (Tramonti A Nord Est)"
                                                    Amazingly enough, she is still a relevant artist with chart success in Italy.
                                                    Yes, it seems like San Remo is a better career opportunity than Eurovision, lots of successful carrers in the last two decades alone.
                                                    Elisa even has been featured in the Imagine Dragons' "Birds" recently.

Comment

• San Remo:
                                                      Yes, definitely; but it always depends how strong the act itself is. It helps to kick-start you overnight. Question is whether some of the successful artists wouldn't have made it and found fame going the regular way.

#18 In-Grid:
                                                      Not crazy mad about it. Remember it was on power-play on VIVA or MTV. It's a bit of a novelty, and she is not even French.

Comment

• #20 Matchbox Twenty - Bent
                                                        #19 Elisa - Luce

"Bent" is amazing! It's one of my favourite songs ever with male vocals (especially from 2000 onwards)! It was a #1 on my chart in 2000, #4 on the YEC and #54 (which feels too low) on my decade chart for 2000-2009. Didn't expect to see it here!

I had totally forgotten that "Come Speak to Me" wasn't the original version. This reached #2 on my chart, YEC #10 (2002) and DEC #224. Elisa also had four other songs in my top 10 in 2002-2003.
                                                        Last edited by Magnus; Sun August 18th, 2019, 00:17. Reason: Corrected typo

Comment

#18 In-Grid:
                                                          Not crazy mad about it. Remember it was on power-play on VIVA or MTV. It's a bit of a novelty, and she is not even French.
                                                          Yes, it was in (kinda) broken French, yet that accordeon hook was something quite unusual and distinctive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                                                            #20 Matchbox Twenty - Bent
                                                            #19 Elisa - Luce

"Bent" is amazing! It's one of my favourite songs ever with male vocals (especially from 2000 onwards)! It was a #1 on my chart in 2000, #4 on the YEC and #54 (which feels too low) on my decade chart for 2000-2009. Didn't expect to see it here!

I had totally forgotten that "Come Speak to Me" wasn't the original version. This reached #2 on my chart, YEC #10 (2002) and DEC #224. Elisa also had four other songs in my top 10 in 2002-2003.
                                                            wow, that "Bent" run is actually pretty strong.
                                                            Elisa surely had some great songs in her discography

Comment

• #17 Stereophonics - Dakota

Year of release: 2005
                                                              Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop/Rock
                                                              #1 in the UK

The road to #1 wasn't easy for Stereophonics, it took them a few big hits and successful albums to finally get there. I have to say that "Language. Sex. Violence. Other?" is my favourite Stereophonics album, it's a bit darker and more packed with guitar riffs than their previous efforts.
                                                              However, chart-wise it went downhill from "Dakota" for Stereophonics.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X