Heppolo's #1s Top 100 of 2000s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
    The Fear, WYWF? and to a lesser extent Radio are great synthpop.
    What about "Precious"? Is it an example of great synthpop or DM running out of steam for you?
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• #35 Rammstein - Mein Teil

Year of release: 2004
      Genre: Alternative Metal, Neue Deutsche Härte
      #1 in Spain

This number one of everyone's favourite poppiest pop band of Germany proves once again that having a sales-based single chart is an excellent idea. Had it been my way, UK singles chart would be vinyl sales based only, streaming can be abolished in the process.
      "Mein Teil" attracted controversy in Germany; the media dubbed it "Das Kannibalenlied" ("The Cannibal-Song") due to its lyrics referring to the Armin Meiwes cannibalism case, which helped to boost it to second place in the German music charts after its release in early August 2004.
      Underneath all the loud riffs, the song has quite a poppy structure.
      The music video isn't really shocking, just a little bit NSFW, which is constantly the case with Rammstein.

Comment

• #34 All Saints - Pure Shores

Year of release: 2000
        Genre: Pop, Electronica, Dream Pop
        #1 in the UK, Italy, Ireland, Belgium (Wallonia)

I have to praise the band's ambition to move beyond simplistic pop with "Pure Shores". The song was produced by William Orbit, who is responsible for the forward-thinking production approach here.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
          #34 All Saints - Pure Shores
          I have to praise the band's ambition to move beyond simplistic pop with "Pure Shores". The song was produced by William Orbit, who is responsible for the forward-thinking production approach here.
          I read somewhere that the song was written for Madonna's follow up album to Ray of light
          but she decided to work with Mirwais on Music

Comment

• Originally posted by navi View Post
            I read somewhere that the song was written for Madonna's follow up album to Ray of light
            but she decided to work with Mirwais on Music
            Which was a mistake

Comment

• Pure Shores really sounds like Madonna's track which is a good thing, William Orbit should stick to her and release more marvelous stuff with her.
              KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                Pure Shores really sounds like Madonna's track which is a good thing, William Orbit should stick to her and release more marvelous stuff with her.
                I guess William Orbit would love to, it's the Madonna who moved on to tragic bandwagon and trend-chasing stuff

Comment

• Pure shores is as sublime today as it was when i first heard the song in 2000. Even my teenybopper 11 year old self knew this was in a different league. <3

Comment

• #33 Evanescence feat. Paul McCoy – Bring Me To Life

Year of release: 2003
                    Genre: Alternative Metal, Alternative Rock, Gothic Rock
                    #1 in the UK, Australia, Italy

The band won in the category for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 46th Grammy Awards where the song was also nominated for Best Rock Song. The accompanying music video was directed by Philipp Stölzl; it shows Lee singing and climbing on a skyscraper while having nightmares in her bedroom.
                    In fact, "Bring Me To Life" established Amy Lee as a force and re-energized female-fronted alternative rock market in the U.S. for at least half a decade. One of the heavier UK#1s during the whole decade.

Comment

• Actually Evanescence had better than this. Lithium for instance or Going Under were better (maybe it's the case of overplaying Bring Me To Life, this song was everywhere)

oh yeah and Everyboy's Fool was immense as well. Well, I need to refresh their debut
                      Last edited by jszmiles; Wed August 14, 2019, 22:33.
                      KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                        Actually Evanescence had better than this. Lithium for instance or Going Under were better (maybe it's the case of overplaying Bring Me To Life, this song was everywhere)

oh yeah and Everyboy's Fool was immense as well. Well, I need to refresh their debut
                        I hated "My Immortal" though...too cheesy.

Comment

• #32 Daniel Bedingfield – Gotta Get Through This

Year of release: 2002
                          Genre: UK Garage, Pop
                          #1 in the UK

When you hear the song for the first time it may sound a little bit too wonky for a #1 hit. Which brings us to the point that this track, along with some others from his debut record, was recorded in Bedingfield's bedroom with his PC and a microphone, using the music software Reason. Daniel probably mastered that software pretty well since it brought him a Grammy nomination and a Billboard Hot 100 top 10 hit.

Comment

• #31 Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Year of release: 2008
                            Genre: Baroque Pop
                            #1 in the UK, US, Netherlands

The track is built around a looping string section in unison with a digital processed piano, with other layers gradually being added as the song builds. I personally think that is the absolute peak of Coldplay musically, the way they managed to put essentially a baroque pop song into a dance-y track wrap just via bringing the faster tempo to the table is just brilliant, Joe Satriani controversy aside.

The second version of the music video is a tribute to Corbijn's video for Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" and portrays Chris Martin as the king from whose perspective the song is sung.

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                              What about "Precious"? Is it an example of great synthpop or DM running out of steam for you?
                              I prefer Barrel Of A Gun and Wrong from later years. Always thought that song was over-rated.

Mein Teil is great - i bought the import single that charted here. Blackly funny.

I also bought Bring Me To Life - still clearly their best. And thanks for crediting Paul McCoy who usually gets ignored in modern credits.

I bought Gotta Get Thru This and Viva...
                              The latter is probably a rip-off of Alizee's song (also recorded in English as I'm Fed Up!) - i'm surprised the composer Mylene Farmer never tried to sue. Other people have, like you implied. It could just be bad luck in similarities. Like the Katy Perry case.
                              Last edited by Blondini; Thu August 15, 2019, 13:08.
                              Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

I prefer Barrel Of A Gun and Wrong from later years. Always thought that song was over-rated.

Mein Teil is great - i bought the import single that charted here. Blackly funny.

I also bought Bring Me To Life - still clearly their best. And thanks for crediting Paul McCoy who usually gets ignored in modern credits.

I bought Gotta Get Thru This and Viva...
                                The latter is probably a rip-off of Alizee's song (also recorded in English as I'm Fed Up!) - i'm surprised the composer Mylene Farmer never tried to sue. Other people have, like you implied. It could just be bad luck in similarities. Like the Katy Perry case.
                                I do agree with you on Paul McCoy, "Bring Me To Life" credits can come across as if he wasn't even there.
                                That Alizee song does sound similar

Comment

• #30 Tiziano Ferro - Perdono (or "XDono")

Year of release: 2001
                                  Genre: Pop, R&B
                                  #1 in Italy, Belgium (Wallonia)

Talk about starting your career with a bang. Based on a sample of R. Kelly's song 'Did You Ever Think', it was turned into quite a different affair.
                                  I really think that Tiziano's "Rosso Relativo" is one the best male solo albums of 2000s.

Comment

• Katherine Jenkins' cover of "Bring Me To Life" was # 1 in my chart.

My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• ^I suppose, almost any cover released by Katherine Jenkins' would have made your chart

Comment

• #29 Swallow The Sun – The Plague Of Butterflies (EP)
                                        Year of release: 2008
                                        Genre: Doom Metal, Melodic Death Metal
                                        #1 in Finland

There we have it, the heaviest #1 in history. Even if it's technically an EP, thank you anyway, Finland. Can you imagine this kind of music topping Billboard Hot 100? Me neither.

Comment

• ^ The full "EP" is 60 minutes long! That's just the first track you posted. I stopped it after 9 minutes. I've never been overly keen on Cradle Of Filth style vocals (though COF themselves are good).
                                          Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Is this your #1?
                                            Originally posted by beredy
                                            When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

^ The full "EP" is 60 minutes long! That's just the first track you posted. I stopped it after 9 minutes. I've never been overly keen on Cradle Of Filth style vocals (though COF themselves are good).
                                              There are two versions (the "full" one hour EP was a 2015 re-issue with demo tracks released afterwards). This is the original half-hour 2008 version that went to #1 in Finland.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                                Is this your #1?
                                                You know my "love" for american music

Comment

• #28 The Ting Tings – That’s Not My Name

Year of release: 2007
                                                  Genre: Indie Pop, New Wave Revival
                                                  #1 in the UK (2008)

I still love The Ting Tings, despite general public getting pretty annoyed with "That's Not My Name" being overplayed at the time. I also have to praise their effort in getting indie pop in some accessible, even slightly bubblegum camouflage. They were probably one of the few acts I discovered way before they got to #1, accidentally stumbling upon then unknown "Fruit Machine" single and watching them gradually grow bigger.
                                                  Such a shame that they became basically a one-album wonder (or two hits wonder, if you will).

Comment

• #27 The Veronicas - Hook Me Up

Year of release: 2007
                                                    Genre: Electropop, Synthpop
                                                    #1 in Australia

Before "Lolita", this was my favourite The Veronicas single. A piece of very catchy electropop which somehow didn't make any impact beyond Australia.
                                                    Last edited by heppolo; Fri August 16, 2019, 18:44.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X