No announcement yet.

Heppolo's #1s Top 100 of 2000s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Tu es foutu' was a sleeper hit in Germany in 2003. It was one of two big French hits at the time, the other one being Kate Ryan's cover version of Mylène Farmer's 'Désenchantée'.

'Dakota' is great, my favourite Stereophonics song.
    My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• #16 Oasis - Lyla

Year of release: 2005
      Genre: Britpop
      #1 in the UK

I always loved Oasis attempts at anthemic rock, because Liam lived up to a rock'n'roll status. And it wasn't really important if the lyrics were crap or the song sounded samey, if you have Liam's loud mouth at the front you are good to go.
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• #15 La Roux - Bulletproof

Year of release: 2009
        Genre: Synthpop
        #1 in the UK

Just like The Ting Tings, La Roux sadly proved to be a one-album wonder. Nevertheless, both "Bulletproof" and "In For The Kill" are the classics of new synthpop era. Moreover, the instrumental in "Bulletproof" uses the 8-bit music as the reference point.

Comment

• #14 Emiliana Torrini – Jungle Drum

Year of release: 2009
          Genre: Indie Pop, Indie Rock
          #1 in Germany, Belgium(Flanders), Austria

We've reached the point when the whole thing might be dismissed as a joke or a kids tv countdown (especially by the Germans, who suffered a seven-week run of "Jungle Drum" at #1).
          However, this song is almost irresistible and can be compared with some of the catchiest Nancy Sinatra songs.

Comment

• 'Bulletproof' & 'Jungle Drum' are both great, though the latter was overplayed to death on German radio.
            My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
              'Tu es foutu' was a sleeper hit in Germany in 2003. It was one of two big French hits at the time, the other one being Kate Ryan's cover version of Mylène Farmer's 'Désenchantée'.

'Dakota' is great, my favourite Stereophonics song.
              Yeah, I kept seeing 'Tu Es Foutu' on VIVA every now and then in 2003.

Comment

• Bulletproof and Jungle Drum are classic for me, really enjoyed them back them. M20 had better with Unwell.

Dakota is best from last bunch of songs, made me love Stereophonics actually
                KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by Benny View Post
                  'Bulletproof' & 'Jungle Drum' are both great, though the latter was overplayed to death on German radio.
                  'Jungle Drum' wasn't meant to be that successful in Germany, it was a little twee indie pop song at heart

Comment

• RE: Jungle Drum
                    This is from Wikipedia
                    In 2009 it also appeared in the Germany's Next Topmodel TV show.[10] Thus, the song became very popular in German-speaking countries
                    trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                    trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                      Bulletproof and Jungle Drum are classic for me, really enjoyed them back them. M20 had better with Unwell.

Dakota is best from last bunch of songs, made me love Stereophonics actually
                      'Dakota' is so well-thought, it manages to grab you and keeps the listener pumped till the very end of the song.

Comment

• Originally posted by trebor View Post
                        RE: Jungle Drum
                        This is from Wikipeida
                        Yeah, I know that, but even the tv push is not always enough to make a song that successful (seven weeks at number one). You need to push a catchy enough product in the first place.

Comment

• #13 Silverchair - Straight Lines

Year of release: 2006
                          Genre: Pop/Rock
                          #1 in Australia

This one is very personal. I've been following Silverchair since I was a kid (Daniel was one of my first celebrity crushes), and it was so strange to see 26 year old man as some kind of a veteran in the industry having the rough time.
                          'Straight Lines' was meant to be a bit too cheesy and too reliant on the self-assuring inspiration message. Regardless, I still think that Silverchair's 'Young Modern' era was underappreciated and misunderstood.
                          Last edited by heppolo; Sun August 18, 2019, 21:31.

Comment

• #17 Stereophonics - Dakota

'Dakota' is so well-thought, it manages to grab you and keeps the listener pumped till the very end of the song.
                            Ah, another great song! This was blocked from #1 on my weekly chart and 2005 was a very strong year for me so it only managed #17 on the YEC, but became #107 on the DEC, which was actually the 4th highest for songs with male (and no female) vocals!

I agree with the quote exactly! Brilliant with that third verse towards the end, I have no idea why not more songs use that structure.

Here is my full top 10 favourite songs from 2000-2009 with male vocals (DEC position):

 1. Nearer Than Heaven – Delays (#45)
                             2. Bent – Matchbox Twenty (#54)
                             3. Daddy DJ – Daddy DJ (#85)
                             4. Dakota – Stereophonics (#107)
                             5. For Reasons Unexplained – Casey Stratton (#109)
                             6. Into the Fire – Thirteen Senses (#110)
                             7. Spaceship – Angie Aparo (#156)
                             8. Little Wonders – Rob Thomas (#161)
                             9. Drowning – Backstreet Boys (#178)
                            10. Capricorn – 30 Seconds to Mars (#193)

Unfortunately I have no idea which of these songs were #1 on some official chart. I'm pretty sure "Nearer Than Heaven" wasn't :( Delays had five more songs in the top 500, Rob Thomas two more and Casey Stratton (who almost sounds like a woman) one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                               1. Nearer Than Heaven – Delays (#45)
                               6. Into the Fire – Thirteen Senses (#110)
                              Delays are just out of this world really, Thirteen Senses made some solid record, yet none of those came close to #1 anywhere.
                              This whole countdown is simply an attempt to track down those few instances when the public taste in any significant national chart matched my own tastes, at least to a certain degree.

Comment

• I lost an interest in Silvairchair after Neon Ballroom, actually it's the only album I know from them. They were cool at that time.
                                KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• [MENTION=23043]heppolo[/MENTION] Not sure if you can give the answer, but how much songs were legal # 1s for this thread ?
                                  My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                    Not sure if you can give the answer, but how much songs were legal # 1s for this thread ?
                                    Each song was a #1 single for at least for a single week in the national chart (I've chosen Netherlands Single Top 100 over Mega Top 40 and used Belgium's separate Wallonia and Flanders Chart). As you know, not all of the national charts at that time were sales based only, some of them used radio airplay as an additional metric.
                                    The source of the info was: https://lescharts.com/weekoverview.asp (and other national charts in this system)

Comment

I lost an interest in Silvairchair after Neon Ballroom, actually it's the only album I know from them. They were cool at that time.
                                      Neon Ballroom and Diorama (the next album released in 2002) were actually quite good pieces of alternative rock.

Comment

• #12 Tomcraft - Loneliness

Year of release: 2002
                                        Genre: Electronic
                                        #1 in the UK in 2003

"Loneliness" is a track by the German DJ Tomcraft. It was written by Ivan Matias and Andrea Martin, Thomas Bruckner and Eniac and produced by Eniac and Tomcraft. The song is based on an excerpt of Martin's 1999 single "Share the Love".
                                        It's probably one of the few electronic tracks (along with Paul Van Dyk's "Nothing But You") that really left a mark for me in 2000s. I can characterize this song as very smooth, carefully avoiding the cliche samples.
                                        Will Young sampled the song for his 2015 single "Love Revolution".

Comment

• It amazes me how random dance tracks reach top regions of the UK chart. I did never expect this to score #1 either ATB's 9PM for example (which is dull in my opinion). Not that I am complaining, I love to see dance (trance in this case) to be successful, but there are zillion better tracks that deserved to be noticed over the years.
                                          KUBA'S CHART

Comment

It amazes me how random dance tracks reach top regions of the UK chart. I did never expect this to score #1 either ATB's 9PM for example (which is dull in my opinion). Not that I am complaining, I love to see dance (trance in this case) to be successful, but there are zillion better tracks that deserved to be noticed over the years.
                                            It's actually the problem of any genre, rarely you see a deserving #1, in Tomcraft's case it was probably due to a relatively dull week and the relatively low threshold for a #1 single at the time.
                                            For me personally "Loneliness" wins in terms of the production value (and carefully chosen samples), it sounds radio-friendly, it's not too long, and it features elements of house and trance at the same time. I'd even say the brilliant first 20 seconds of "Loneliness" completely sell it for me.

Comment

• #11 Goldfrapp - Ooh La La

Year of release: 2005
                                              Genre: Synthpop, Glam Rock
                                              #1 in Spain

The song was released as the album's lead single in August 2005 to positive reviews from music critics. The song has been remixed a number of times and was nominated for Best Dance Recording at the 49th Grammy Awards in 2007.
                                              I'd compare it to some of the brilliant recordings of Roxy Music and the glam rock era. It is both sexy and stylish.

Comment

• but you know, there are plenty of tracks that are similar to Tomcraft track (which is typical to instrumental, trance, dance tracks).... not that I am complaining, I loved "Loneliness" earlier than in was #1 in UK mainly because it was hit in Germany (#10 I think) but there were plenty tracks that were "timeless" and still haven't receive the success, for example: Da Hool - Meet Her At The Loveparade, Tiesto's "Traffic" etc etc.
                                                KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Goldfrapp are hit or miss for me. They've produced some great tunes like Rocket or mentioned Ooh La La.
                                                  KUBA'S CHART

Comment

but you know, there are plenty of tracks that are similar to Tomcraft track (which is typical to instrumental, trance, dance tracks).... not that I am complaining, I loved "Loneliness" earlier than in was #1 in UK mainly because it was hit in Germany (#10 I think) but there were plenty tracks that were "timeless" and still haven't receive the success, for example: Da Hool - Meet Her At The Loveparade, Tiesto's "Traffic" etc etc.
                                                    both great examples. For me Tomcraft stands the test of time because he (accidentally) captured the essential element of a chart/radio/3 minute hit - a great intro. Dancefloor anthems are judged by a different (and probably higher) standard, as we know it.

Comment

• #10 Nightwish - Nemo

Year of release: 2004
                                                      Genre: Gothic Metal, Alternative Metal
                                                      #1 in Finland

Tuomas Holopainen, the composer, has stated that the title is Latin for "nobody" and the song is based on his occasional feelings of being lost, longing for the past and feeling nameless.
                                                      For "Nemo", a big-budget video was made, the director was Antti Jokinen, who had previously worked with Shania Twain, Celine Dion and Eminem, which has proven to be a success.
                                                      Despite having the #1 on lock at home in Finland (reaching Platinum status quite easily), in the United Kingdom it could only chart at #87 after a chart entry of #101 the week before, but spent over 20 weeks on the top 200 plus a few re-entries.[

Comment

• #9 Amy Macdonald – This Is The Life

Year of release: 2007
                                                        Genre: Pop/Folk, Folk Rock
                                                        #1 in Netherlands, Austria, Belgium (Flanders & Wallonia) in 2008

I might stumble across another pet hate by the Germans, since it was as overplayed as "Jungle Drum" in Germany.
                                                        Despite a great success in Europe in 2008-2009 (#1 in the year-end charts in Netherlands and Belgium (Flanders)), the single initially almost flopped in the UK (peaked only at #28). Was the song too cheesy for an average British listener or should we blame the record label execs for their laziness?
                                                        The song was later used in a 2010 advert for the Fiat 500 shown across Europe. It was also used in the early 2011 as an advert in Norway and re-entered the chart directly at number one. It is also used as an opening theme for a Polish television series True Law.
                                                        At least Amy earned some coins in the process

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                                          Delays are just out of this world really,
                                                          and a feminine vocal, funnily enough.

I bought Dakota though it hasn't aged well.
                                                          Lyla is good though not top level Oasis.

Bulletproof is still brill, as is Jungle Drum - nobody could "suffer" it, it's too short to be THAT annoying.
                                                          Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (8th August 20) - Hannah Georgas, Hannah Ferm, Alain Johannes, Arre! Arre!, The Ninth Wave, Taylor Swift ft Bon Iver, The Streets ft Idles, The Psychedelic Furs, Wye Oak, SPC ECO, Max Richter, Rival Consoles, !!!, Jon Anderson, Clint Mansell and Clint Walsh, Hatty Keane, Alanis Morissette

Comment

• OOh i missed the latest (the page wouldn't load for ages so i had to refresh)

'Frapp brill - Amy great. Nemo best of that bunch. I helped contribute to that unusually lengthy top 200 run!
                                                            Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (8th August 20) - Hannah Georgas, Hannah Ferm, Alain Johannes, Arre! Arre!, The Ninth Wave, Taylor Swift ft Bon Iver, The Streets ft Idles, The Psychedelic Furs, Wye Oak, SPC ECO, Max Richter, Rival Consoles, !!!, Jon Anderson, Clint Mansell and Clint Walsh, Hatty Keane, Alanis Morissette

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                                              and a feminine vocal, funnily enough.

I bought Dakota though it hasn't aged well.
                                                              Lyla is good though not top level Oasis.

Bulletproof is still brill, as is Jungle Drum - nobody could "suffer" it, it's too short to be THAT annoying.
                                                              I've seen way too many negative comments from Germans, they always downvote "Jungle Drum" whenever there is a chance, considering it to be some kids tv stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X