Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paulboard Top 30 | 05.27.22 | I do it for my daddy and I do it for Dale...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hmm...so our tastes continue to diverge, I see. "Daisies" at #12 here is a choice, Paul.

    I am fully here for the Dua Lipa tracks, though, particularly "Physical", which is everything!

    12.) "DAISIES" | Katy Perry | 124pts
    11.) "PHYSICAL" | Dua Lipa | 128pts
    09.) "RAIN ON ME" | Lady Gaga ft. Ariana Grande | 136pts
    03.) "BREAK MY HEART" | Dua Lipa | 196pts
    02.) "STUPID LOVE" | Lady Gaga | 199pts
    01.) "YOU SHOULD BE SAD" | Halsey | 262pts
    Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
    AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

    I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

    Comment


    • Good to see you!

      Top 3 is great. I like Grimes though new album is hit & miss for me.

      Great year for Dua Lipa.
      Ste's Personal Chart 2020

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
        Hmm...so our tastes continue to diverge, I see. "Daisies" at #12 here is a choice, Paul.

        I am fully here for the Dua Lipa tracks, though, particularly "Physical", which is everything!
        Poor underappreciated "Daisies" It really works for me, but people's reactions to her vocals remind me of the discussions surrounding Lewis Capaldi's "Someone You Loved": a lot of people found his emoting/straining intolerable, but it wasn't abrasive for me. "Daisies" clearly wasn't the ticket to get Katy back atop any offficial charts, though.

        Thankfully, Dua's got the power to bring (basically) everyone together Not everyone shares the exact same level of enthusiasm for Future Nostalgia, but I don't think I've seen anyone explicity disliking or disappointed by it. I'll be pretty shocked if "Physical" doesn't win the Survivor.

        Thanks again, Akini!
        last.fmPaulboard Top 30

        Comment


        • Originally posted by steophonic View Post
          Good to see you!

          Top 3 is great. I like Grimes though new album is hit & miss for me.

          Great year for Dua Lipa.
          Many thanks for the warm welcome back!

          There's at least a few tracks that I always skip on Miss Anthropocene, but the highlights shine bright. "IDORU" feels the most reminiscent of Art Angels, which is the album that got me interested in Grimes in the first place. Dua definitely delivered one of the most agreeable albums of the year so far.

          Thanks again, ste!
          last.fmPaulboard Top 30

          Comment


          • Glad you are (temporarily) back! Wish you would post your chart again!

            As for your top 15, all this time I thought your last post before stopping your chart here was You Should Be Sad, which I always thought was a hint about you leaving - LOL, but now I see it was Rare so there goes that theory.

            Guessing it got a head start by being around from the beginning of th eyear.

            I'm not crazy about Rina Sawayama or Katy Perry in here, but I like all the others. I'm imaginging Rian On Me still has time to grow? Also nice to see Idoru at #5! Wow! It ombed over on the GRIMES Survivor - I think you and I are the only ones who liked it.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              Glad you are (temporarily) back! Wish you would post your chart again!
              <3

              Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              As for your top 15, all this time I thought your last post before stopping your chart here was You Should Be Sad, which I always thought was a hint about you leaving - LOL, but now I see it was Rare so there goes that theory.

              Guessing it got a head start by being around from the beginning of the year.
              No shade or passive-aggression intended with my No. 1's, I swear! I just love "You Should Be Sad" uhLOT. Other country/pop fusions have really clicked with me in the past (like a lot of Taylor's earlier material or Kylie's Golden), and YSBS adds that extra Halsey edge to it: "just glad I made it out, without breakin' down, and then ran so f**kin' far, that you would never ever touch me agaAaAiIin..."

              Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              I'm not crazy about Rina Sawayama or Katy Perry in here, but I like all the others. I'm imaginging Rian On Me still has time to grow? Also nice to see Idoru at #5! Wow! It ombed over on the GRIMES Survivor - I think you and I are the only ones who liked it.
              Aw, I know "Daisies" rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm surprised and saddened to learn that you actually DISlike Rina Sawayama was far-and-away my most-played album of the year until Chromatica swooped in. Speaking of Gaga: "Rain On Me" will almost certainly rank even higher on the final year-end countdown. It's probably my favorite Chromatica track, but "Stupid Love" had a healthy head start (and provided a much-needed pick-me-up during the early stages of lockdown).

              Thanks again, CT!
              last.fmPaulboard Top 30

              Comment


              • Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                Aw, I know "Daisies" rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm surprised and saddened to learn that you actually DISlike Rina Sawayama was far-and-away my most-played album of the year until Chromatica swooped in. Speaking of Gaga: "Rain On Me" will almost certainly rank even higher on the final year-end countdown. It's probably my favorite Chromatica track, but "Stupid Love" had a healthy head start (and provided a much-needed pick-me-up during the early stages of lockdown).
                I just checked out Sawayama largely due to this comment, and partly because I saw a pop fan page name it the best album of the year thus far, and I'm rather shook, tbh. Melodically, it is such a crazy ride. I literally had to check Spotify to see if they'd inadvertently taken me to another LP when one song ended and another began. I'm not ready to take the crown from Future Nostalgia just yet, but I must say I am very pleasantly surprised by Rina!

                Having said all that, the Rina songs charting in your mid-year update are not among my favourites from my initial spin, so the disconnect continues on some level.
                Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                  I just checked out Sawayama largely due to this comment, and partly because I saw a pop fan page name it the best album of the year thus far, and I'm rather shook, tbh. Melodically, it is such a crazy ride. I literally had to check Spotify to see if they'd inadvertently taken me to another LP when one song ended and another began. I'm not ready to take the crown from Future Nostalgia just yet, but I must say I am very pleasantly surprised by Rina!

                  Having said all that, the Rina songs charting in your mid-year update are not among my favourites from my initial spin, so the disconnect continues on some level.
                  I'm choking up over here! Our musical tastes/preferences have indeed pulled us in increasingly-different directions in recent years, so to see you share such a positive response to an album (and artist) that's impacted me this much is truly moving.

                  I'm not too shocked that "STFU!" isn't speaking to you, since we've encountered a disconnect over similarly-noisy/abrasive tracks before. It reminds me a lot of Gaga's "Judas," in the sense that it features these incredibly brash, hard-hitting verses with an abruptly bubblegum pop-sounding chorus: "have you ever thought about taping your big mouth shut, cause I have many tiIimes, many tiIiIimes..." Not to mention that wishing certain peope would just. STFU. already. is mighty relatable.

                  I'm more surprised that "Comme Des Garçons" didn't click with you, since it strikes me as something that would fit perfectly on the same playlist as Gaga's "Babylon." Maybe the video could help its case? Rina's videos (especially for this album) are a visual feast.

                  Many thanks for taking the time to explore Sawayama, Akini!
                  Last edited by crystalphoenix; Tue July 7, 2020, 22:30.
                  last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                  Comment


                  • Paulboard Top 50 of 2020
                    (+1 Because It's Mariah)

                    51.) "HERE WE GO AROUND AGAIN" | Mariah Carey | 106 points
                    50.) "NATALIE DON'T" | RAYE | 109
                    49.) "MIDNIGHT SKY" | Miley Cyrus | 112
                    48.) "THIS LOVE ISN'T CRAZY" | Carly Rae Jepsen | 114
                    47.) "CANADA" | Lauv ft. Alessia Cara | 118
                    46.) "RARE" | Selena Gomez | 118
                    45.) "COOL" | Dua Lipa | 119
                    44.) "I HATE EVERYBODY" | Halsey | 119
                    43.) "DANCE AGAIN" | Selena Gomez | 121
                    42.) "REAL GROOVE" | Kylie Minogue | 121
                    41.) "TEARY EYES" | Katy Perry | 122

                    40.) "PLEASE DON'T TOUCH" | RAYE | 122
                    39.) "OMG WHAT'S HAPPENING" | Ava Max | 123
                    38.) "FUN TONIGHT" | Lady Gaga | 124
                    37.) "SALT" | Ava Max | 125
                    36.) "SARAH COME HOME" | Allie X | 128
                    35.) "LOVE ME 4 ME" | Rina Sawayama | 130
                    34.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 130
                    33.) "BE KIND" | Marshmello ft. Halsey | 130
                    32.) "DELETE FOREVER" | Grimes | 131
                    31.) "CRY ABOUT IT LATER" | Katy Perry | 131

                    30.) "PHYSICAL" | Dua Lipa | 132
                    29.) "TOKYO LOVE HOTEL" | Rina Sawayama | 132
                    28.) "ASHES" | Meghan Trainor | 140
                    27.) "ILLICIT AFFAIRS" | Taylor Swift | 141
                    26.) "CHERRY" | Rina Sawayama | 141
                    25.) "NEVER REALLY OVER" | Katy Perry | 146 | No. 8 of 2019
                    24.) "PRETTY PLEASE" | Dua Lipa | 148
                    23.) "THE STEPS" | HAIM | 148
                    22.) "MURDER ON THE DANCEFLOOR" | Sophie Ellis-Bextor | 156
                    21.) "NAKED" | Ava Max | 159

                    20.) "MUSIC GETS THE BEST OF ME" | Sophie Ellis-Bextor | 159
                    19.) "MY TEARS RICOCHET" | Taylor Swift | 162
                    18.) "1000 DOVES" | Lady Gaga | 166
                    17.) "KINGS & QUEENS" | Ava Max | 167
                    16.) "MIRRORBALL" | Taylor Swift | 172
                    15.) "IDORU" | Grimes | 175
                    14.) "PLASTIC DOLL" | Lady Gaga | 176
                    13.) "STFU!" | Rina Sawayama | 177
                    12.) "EXILE" | Taylor Swift ft. Bon Iver | 181
                    11.) "ON SOMEBODY" | Ava Max | 187

                    10.) "MAGIC" | Kylie Minogue | 204
                    09.) "STUPID LOVE" | Lady Gaga | 205
                    08.) "HOLIDAY" | Little Mix | 208
                    07.) "COMME DES GARÇONS (LIKE THE BOYS)" | Rina Sawayama | 210
                    06.) "BREAK MY HEART" | Dua Lipa | 248
                    05.) "THE LAKES" | Taylor Swift | 272
                    04.) "DAISIES" | Katy Perry | 276
                    03.) "YOU SHOULD BE SAD" | Halsey | 302
                    02.) "AUGUST" | Taylor Swift | 331
                    01.) "RAIN ON ME" | Lady Gaga ft. Ariana Grande | 337



                    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
                    (Special "Thanks!" to cheapthrills for helping me with some site struggles and making this post possible)

                    last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                    Comment


                    • Definitely a lot more commonalities this year compared to last year!

                      I've bolded my faves and I doubt any of them would come as surprises to you. I suspected "August" might've fallen short when I looked at your most-played songs of 2020 a few days ago and saw "Rain on Me" at no. 1. I think you know how much I love "August", but even though I rooted against "Rain on Me" in Tansike's thread, I do like it; I just had certain expectations given my longstanding love for Gaga and my recent adoration of Ari, but they definitely delivered on the video end of things!

                      51.) "HERE WE GO AROUND AGAIN" | Mariah Carey | 106 points
                      50.) "NATALIE DON'T" | RAYE | 109
                      49.) "MIDNIGHT SKY" | Miley Cyrus | 112
                      46.) "RARE" | Selena Gomez | 118
                      45.) "COOL" | Dua Lipa | 119
                      43.) "DANCE AGAIN" | Selena Gomez | 121
                      42.) "REAL GROOVE" | Kylie Minogue | 121
                      40.) "PLEASE DON'T TOUCH" | RAYE | 122
                      39.) "OMG WHAT'S HAPPENING" | Ava Max | 123
                      38.) "FUN TONIGHT" | Lady Gaga | 124
                      37.) "SALT" | Ava Max | 125
                      35.) "LOVE ME 4 ME" | Rina Sawayama | 130
                      34.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 130
                      31.) "CRY ABOUT IT LATER" | Katy Perry | 131
                      30.) "PHYSICAL" | Dua Lipa | 132
                      29.) "TOKYO LOVE HOTEL" | Rina Sawayama | 132
                      27.) "ILLICIT AFFAIRS" | Taylor Swift | 141
                      25.) "NEVER REALLY OVER" | Katy Perry | 146 | No. 8 of 2019
                      24.) "PRETTY PLEASE" | Dua Lipa | 148
                      22.) "MURDER ON THE DANCEFLOOR" | Sophie Ellis-Bextor | 156
                      21.) "NAKED" | Ava Max | 159
                      19.) "MY TEARS RICOCHET" | Taylor Swift | 162
                      18.) "1000 DOVES" | Lady Gaga | 166

                      17.) "KINGS & QUEENS" | Ava Max | 167
                      16.) "MIRRORBALL" | Taylor Swift | 172
                      14.) "PLASTIC DOLL" | Lady Gaga | 176
                      13.) "STFU!" | Rina Sawayama | 177
                      12.) "EXILE" | Taylor Swift ft. Bon Iver | 181
                      11.) "ON SOMEBODY" | Ava Max | 187
                      10.) "MAGIC" | Kylie Minogue | 204
                      09.) "STUPID LOVE" | Lady Gaga | 205
                      08.) "HOLIDAY" | Little Mix | 208
                      07.) "COMME DES GARÇONS (LIKE THE BOYS)" | Rina Sawayama | 210
                      06.) "BREAK MY HEART" | Dua Lipa | 248
                      05.) "THE LAKES" | Taylor Swift | 272
                      04.) "DAISIES" | Katy Perry | 276
                      03.) "YOU SHOULD BE SAD" | Halsey | 302
                      02.) "AUGUST" | Taylor Swift | 331
                      01.) "RAIN ON ME" | Lady Gaga ft. Ariana Grande | 337

                      Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                      I'm choking up over here! Our musical tastes/preferences have indeed pulled us in increasingly-different directions in recent years, so to see you share such a positive response to an album (and artist) that's impacted me this much is truly moving.

                      I'm not too shocked that "STFU!" isn't speaking to you, since we've encountered a disconnect over similarly-noisy/abrasive tracks before. It reminds me a lot of Gaga's "Judas," in the sense that it features these incredibly brash, hard-hitting verses with an abruptly bubblegum pop-sounding chorus: "have you ever thought about taping your big mouth shut, cause I have many tiIimes, many tiIiIimes..." Not to mention that wishing certain peope would just. STFU. already. is mighty relatable.

                      I'm more surprised that "Comme Des Garçons" didn't click with you, since it strikes me as something that would fit perfectly on the same playlist as Gaga's "Babylon." Maybe the video could help its case? Rina's videos (especially for this album) are a visual feast.

                      Many thanks for taking the time to explore Sawayama, Akini!
                      The video for "STFU!" actually sold that song's case to me more than "Comme Des Garçons"'s, but fast forward to my YECs this year and "XS" finished no. 11, Sawayama no. 2, and Rina no. 5 so a pretty incredible year for the relative newbie and in large part thanks to you!
                      Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                      AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                      I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                        Definitely a lot more commonalities this year compared to last year!
                        The ladies really came through to salvage 2020 (from a music standpoint, at least) When the severity of COVID truly took hold in the spring, I thought 2020 would become the year of album postponments (or outright cancellations); instead, we found ourselves awash in good-to-GREAT offerings from a long list of big-name females, and some noteworthy newer/lesser-known talents too. The queens kept us fed, and I am SO grateful!

                        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                        I've bolded my faves and I doubt any of them would come as surprises to you. I suspected "August" might've fallen short when I looked at your most-played songs of 2020 a few days ago and saw "Rain on Me" at no. 1. I think you know how much I love "August", but even though I rooted against "Rain on Me" in Tansike's thread, I do like it; I just had certain expectations given my longstanding love for Gaga and my recent adoration of Ari, but they definitely delivered on the video end of things!
                        Phew. I thought you'd tear. me. APART. for letting "August" fall short Although the precise positions didn't perfectly align, I'm still encouraged by the overlap of songs in our Year-End Top 2 (and across the whole Top 50). I'm also touched to know you peep my last.fm on occasion!

                        Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                        The video for "STFU!" actually sold that song's case to me more than "Comme Des Garçons"'s, but fast forward to my YECs this year and "XS" finished no. 11, Sawayama no. 2, and Rina no. 5 so a pretty incredible year for the relative newbie and in large part thanks to you!
                        I think the "Comme Des Garçons" vid works well for the song, and got several repeat viewings from me throughout the year, but the "STFU!" vid definitely has more to offer and packs way more of a punch. Rina was easily my favorite discovery/"newcomer" of 2020, so it's massively exciting that she resonated with you in such a strong way too. Rina FTW!

                        Thanks again, Akini!
                        last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                        Comment


                        • Wow, I could have sworn I commented on your top fifty(one), but I guess it never posted, and now I don't remember what I wrote. I'm sure it was incredibly brilliant though

                          You have two songs - Midnight Sky and Kings and Queens that I have revisited because of your YEC and others - I don't really have a good reason for giving them short shrift the first time around - in Miley's case, it's probably just fatigue with her. But I do enjoy these songs now!

                          Obviously, I think your #1 is excellent - it would have been amazing to see August top both our charts but between, you, me, and Akini, maybe that would have been overkill and I certainly don't mind her missing out to Gaga and Ari. Also pleased to see Stupid Love in your top ten as you know - I'll admit it's no longer my favorite track of the album, but I do enjoy it still, and I don't regret all my dance-pop thirst spins for her when it came out.

                          Also pleased to finally see another year-end where Break My Heart is the king of the Dua tracks - take that #30, Physical

                          I am amused by the lack of men - I think I count just Lauv and Marshmello and even then, both of them need a woman's help to make your list Is Niall not a favorite of yours? For some reason, I thought he was, so I thought I might see his second single here (it didn't make my list either, tho.) (Oh wait, I see Bon Iver backing up Taylor too.)

                          Gosh, to Never Really Over bleeding into the 2020s!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            Wow, I could have sworn I commented on your top fifty(one), but I guess it never posted, and now I don't remember what I wrote. I'm sure it was incredibly brilliant though
                            Damn, NEWkmix strikes again Huge "THANK YOU!" for taking the time to write up a whole 'nother post after that mishap!

                            Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            You have two songs - Midnight Sky and Kings and Queens that I have revisited because of your YEC and others - I don't really have a good reason for giving them short shrift the first time around - in Miley's case, it's probably just fatigue with her. But I do enjoy these songs now!
                            At first I'm like "Miley fatigue in 2020? How?," but I'd forgotten just how much she released in 2019 despite not dropping a proper album that year: a 6-track EP, the Ashley O stuff, "Slide Away," "Don't Call Me Angel." Any rate, I'm extremely pleased and honored to have helped those two tracks enjoy a major resurgence with you now!

                            Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            Obviously, I think your #1 is excellent - it would have been amazing to see August top both our charts but between, you, me, and Akini, maybe that would have been overkill and I certainly don't mind her missing out to Gaga and Ari. Also pleased to see Stupid Love in your top ten as you know - I'll admit it's no longer my favorite track of the album, but I do enjoy it still, and I don't regret all my dance-pop thirst spins for her when it came out.
                            Such synchronicity between all three of us would've been glorious, but I'm still pretty excited that it came as close as it did! I often feel out-of-touch with both the GP's preferences and even fan favorite selections, so watching all of us rally around "August" to the degree that we did was a rare treat.

                            Although other Chromatica offerings overshadowed "Stupid Love" as 2020 progressed, I was revisiting it amidst YEC hype and I think it would still rank in my Chromatica Top 5 after all. Even (nearly) a year later, it still supplies a satisfying endorphin rush.

                            Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            Also pleased to finally see another year-end where Break My Heart is the king of the Dua tracks - take that #30, Physical
                            I definitely see the appeal of "Physical," but "Break My Heart" is on another level of catchiness/replay-value for me.

                            Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            I am amused by the lack of men - I think I count just Lauv and Marshmello and even then, both of them need a woman's help to make your list Is Niall not a favorite of yours? For some reason, I thought he was, so I thought I might see his second single here (it didn't make my list either, tho.) (Oh wait, I see Bon Iver backing up Taylor too.)
                            My tastes have always skewed toward Venus, but 2020 was probably the bleakest year yet for male acts on Paulboard I think that's owed to streaming making it easier to check out full albums and uhLOT of my fave ladies dropping LPs (or at least B-side/rarity compilations) last year: Selena, Halsey, Dua, Meghan, Kesha, Rina, Gaga, Carly Rae, HAIM, Ellie, Tay x 2, Ava, Katy, Mariah, Ari, Kylie, Little Mix, Miley, and more! With that many top-tier women dropping 10+ new tracks each, there just wasn't much room left for the fellas.

                            Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            Gosh, to Never Really Over bleeding into the 2020s!
                            I REALLY love that one, and wish they'd had the sense to drop Smile sooner after its (decent) chart success.

                            Thanks again, CT!
                            last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                            Comment


                            • Paulboard Mid-Year Update 2021

                              15.) "SAVE YOUR TEARS (REMIX)" | The Weeknd ft. Ariana Grande | 129pts
                              14.) "TEST DRIVE" | Ariana Grande | 129pts
                              13.) "LEAVE BEFORE YOU LOVE ME" | Marshmello ft. Jonas Brothers | 133pts
                              12.) "I CAN'T BE MYSELF" | Justin Bieber ft. Jaden | 134pts
                              11.) "AS I AM" | Justin Bieber ft. Khalid | 141pts

                              10.) "WITHOUT YOU (MILEY CYRUS REMIX)" | The Kid LAROI ft. Miley Cyrus | 145pts
                              09.) "LONG STORY SHORT" | Taylor Swift | 152pts
                              08.) "LOVE ME AGAIN" | RAYE | 152pts
                              07.) "ANYONE" | Justin Bieber | 154pts
                              06.) "IF IT AIN'T ME" | Dua Lipa | 159pts

                              05.) "IVY" | Taylor Swift | 161pts
                              04.) "REGARDLESS" | RAYE ft. Rudimental | 172pts
                              03.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 184pts
                              02.) "CHANGE YOUR MIND" | RAYE | 217pts
                              01.) "WILLOW" | Taylor Swift | 233pts


                              last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                              Comment


                              • Great to have insight into what you've been bopping to thus far this year. I am very much here for those two T-Swizzle songs.

                                15.) "SAVE YOUR TEARS (REMIX)" | The Weeknd ft. Ariana Grande | 129pts
                                09.) "LONG STORY SHORT" | Taylor Swift | 152pts
                                03.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 184pts
                                01.) "WILLOW" | Taylor Swift | 233pts
                                Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                                I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                  Great to have insight into what you've been bopping to thus far this year. I am very much here for those two T-Swizzle songs.

                                  15.) "SAVE YOUR TEARS (REMIX)" | The Weeknd ft. Ariana Grande | 129pts
                                  09.) "LONG STORY SHORT" | Taylor Swift | 152pts
                                  03.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 184pts
                                  01.) "WILLOW" | Taylor Swift | 233pts
                                  Many thanks for stopping by! I knew you'd approve of those TayTunes (and I knew you're definitely NOT a fan of "Test Drive," thanks to the Positions Survivor) I'm a little surprised that none of RAYE's entries earned a spot in your quote, though! Is this another Caution situaton, where my faves on the album/EP are your least faves (and vice versa)? Granted, I'm pretty sure we both agreed on "Natalie Don't," but that was a 2020 hit for both of us. Aside from "Natalie Don't" and "Please Don't Touch," I didn't check out the rest of Euphoric Sad Songs until this January.

                                  Thanks again, Akini!
                                  last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                                  Comment


                                  • Without You
                                    2011 in Music SURVIOR: Round 22

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Phoenixx View Post
                                      Without You
                                      Many thanks for stopping by! Admittedly, I didn't check out "Without You" until the Miley version dropped (I still haven't heard the original) but it works so well as a duet. This style of music really suits Miley, and the balance between both artists across the song feels pretty perfect.

                                      Thanks again, Phoenixx!
                                      Last edited by crystalphoenix; Thu July 8, 2021, 00:05.
                                      last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                                      Comment


                                      • Oh you snuck in an update when I wasn't looking!

                                        These appeared on my won list this year:

                                        15.) "SAVE YOUR TEARS (REMIX)" | The Weeknd ft. Ariana Grande | 129pts
                                        10.) "WITHOUT YOU (MILEY CYRUS REMIX)" | The Kid LAROI ft. Miley Cyrus | 145pts
                                        04.) "REGARDLESS" | RAYE ft. Rudimental | 172pts
                                        03.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 184pts
                                        01.) "WILLOW" | Taylor Swift | 233pts

                                        So one each of your faves, haha - except Justin. IDK; I don't dislike the songs, I just don't seem to play them enough that they register with me.

                                        As for Willow, it was also just ok, until the Dancing With remix was released and then I was - No Body No Crime remains my favorite from that album though. 34/35 ended up being Ari's biggest hit from the album for me, even though I still think it's kind of juvenile, I can't ignore its bounce and energy. And I see we are still enjoying our RAYE obsession. I think I prefer Save Your Tears to Blinding Lights.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                          So one each of your faves, haha - except Justin. IDK; I don't dislike the songs, I just don't seem to play them enough that they register with me.
                                          Ha, fair. I enjoyed more of Justice than I expected, but it also benefitted from the fact that 2021 hasn't been nearly as packed with big-name album drops as 2020 (AKA fewer new albums vying for my attention/spins).

                                          Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                          As for Willow, it was also just ok, until the Dancing With remix was released and then I was - No Body No Crime remains my favorite from that album though.
                                          The original is generally my go-to version, but the Dancing Witch Remix is excellent too. I've been digging the recent "90's Trend Remix" as well. In any of those forms, "Willow" definitely outshines "Cardigan" for me (which didn't even make my Top 50 of 2020).

                                          Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                          34/35 ended up being Ari's biggest hit from the album for me, even though I still think it's kind of juvenile, I can't ignore its bounce and energy.
                                          Same (and by a pretty major margin too)! Its unexpected longevity on the Hot 100 also kept it on my mind over the course of many months.

                                          Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                          And I see we are still enjoying our RAYE obsession.
                                          Thanks to your chart, I really got into both "Please Don't Touch" and "Natalie Don't" last year, but I didn't explore the rest of Euphoric Sad Songs until this January. That mini-album is STACKED! It's a huge shame that her solo/lead artist singles generally don't do nearly as well on official charts as her collabos/guest appearances.

                                          Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                          I think I prefer Save Your Tears to Blinding Lights.
                                          Same (and I'd probably agree even before the Ari version dropped). "Blinding Lights" is fine, but it never hooked me or had the massive replay value it seems to have for so many other people. It was such a relief that BL didn't cannibalize SYT's success the way it did to poor IYE.

                                          Thanks again, CT!

                                          last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                                          Comment


                                          • Paulboard Top 50 of 2021

                                            50.) "THERE SHE GO" | Justin Bieber ft. Lil Uzi Vert | 122 points
                                            49.) "SIMPLE TIMES" | Kacey Musgraves | 125
                                            48.) "BREADWINNER" | Kacey Musgraves | 127
                                            47.) "ASKING FOR A FRIEND" | CHVRCHES | 130
                                            46.) "BITE ME" | Avril Lavigne | 130
                                            45.) "HEARTBREAK IN THIS CITY (SINGLE MIX)" | Steps ft. Michelle Visage | 130
                                            44.) "WE'RE GOOD" | Dua Lipa | 131
                                            43.) "BUTTER" | BTS | 131
                                            42.) "YOU'RE NOT THE ONE" | Sky Ferreira | 134
                                            41.) "CHERRY" | Fletcher ft. Hayley Kiyoko | 134

                                            40.) "SMILE LIKE THAT" | Terror Jr | 135
                                            39.) "DARLING" | Halsey | 136
                                            38.) "SO HOT YOU'RE HURTING MY FEELINGS" | Caroline Polachek | 136
                                            37.) "BETTER IF YOU DON'T" | CHVRCHES | 140
                                            36.) "ALL TOO WELL (10 MINUTE VERSION) (TAYLOR'S VERSION)" | Taylor Swift | 143
                                            35.) "COLD HEART (PNAU REMIX)" | Elton John ft. Dua Lipa | 143
                                            34.) "TEST DRIVE" | Ariana Grande | 143
                                            33.) "REAL GROOVE (STUDIO 2054 INITIAL TALK REMIX)" | Kylie Minogue ft. Dua Lipa | 145
                                            32.) "EVERYTHING IS EMBARRASSING" | Sky Ferreira | 145
                                            31.) "RENEGADE" | Big Red Machine ft. Taylor Swift | 146

                                            30.) "COULD CRY JUST THINKIN ABOUT YOU (FULL VERSION)" | Troye Sivan | 148
                                            29.) "I CAN'T BE MYSELF" | Justin Bieber ft. Jaden | 152
                                            28.) "ANYONE" | Justin Bieber | 154
                                            27.) "HE SAID SHE SAID" | CHVRCHES | 156
                                            26.) "WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME" | Kacey Musgraves | 159
                                            25.) "HEARTBREAK ANTHEM" | Galantis ft. Little Mix & David Guetta | 162
                                            24.) "MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE (TAYLOR'S VERSION)" | Taylor Swift | 163
                                            23.) "GOOD DAYS" | SZA | 164
                                            22.) "I BLAME MYSELF" | Sky Ferreira | 165
                                            21.) "GOOD GIRLS" | CHVRCHES | 166

                                            20.) "AS I AM" | Justin Bieber ft. Khalid | 166
                                            19.) "WITHOUT YOU (MILEY CYRUS REMIX)" | The Kid LAROI ft. Miley Cyrus | 167
                                            18.) "GOOD ONES" | Charli XCX | 170
                                            17.) "BAD HABITS" | Ed Sheeran | 172
                                            16.) "SAVE YOUR TEARS (REMIX)" | The Weeknd ft. Ariana Grande | 176
                                            15.) "HEALING" | Fletcher | 180
                                            14.) "REGARDLESS" | RAYE | 183
                                            13.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 184 | No. 34 of 2020
                                            12.) "LOVE ME AGAIN" | RAYE | 187
                                            11.) "EASY (REMIX)" | Troye Sivan ft. Kacey Musgraves & Mark Ronson | 191

                                            10.) "IF IT AIN'T ME" | Dua Lipa | 191
                                            09.) "LEAVE BEFORE YOU LOVE ME" | Marshmello ft. Jonas Brothers | 195
                                            08.) "SCREAMING" | CHVRCHES | 198
                                            07.) "VIOLENT DELIGHTS" | CHVRCHES | 209
                                            06.) "'TIS THE DAMN SEASON" | Taylor Swift | 222
                                            05.) "LONG STORY SHORT" | Taylor Swift | 229
                                            04.) "IVY" | Taylor Swift | 270
                                            03.) "CHANGE YOUR MIND" | RAYE | 286
                                            02.) "FINAL GIRL" | CHVRCHES | 295
                                            01.) "WILLOW" | Taylor Swift | 313



                                            HAPPY NEW YEAR!
                                            last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                                            Comment


                                            • Another solid year! Glad to see my year-end top two songs in your top 30. Interesting that "Willow", with 313 points, would only have finished third in your 2020 year-end list, but it's the pick of the litter this year. Was 2021 a more competitive chart year for you, or a weaker one?

                                              49.) "SIMPLE TIMES" | Kacey Musgraves | 125
                                              48.) "BREADWINNER" | Kacey Musgraves | 127
                                              46.) "BITE ME" | Avril Lavigne | 130
                                              45.) "HEARTBREAK IN THIS CITY (SINGLE MIX)" | Steps ft. Michelle Visage | 130
                                              44.) "WE'RE GOOD" | Dua Lipa | 131
                                              43.) "BUTTER" | BTS | 131
                                              42.) "YOU'RE NOT THE ONE" | Sky Ferreira | 134
                                              41.) "CHERRY" | Fletcher ft. Hayley Kiyoko | 134
                                              36.) "ALL TOO WELL (10 MINUTE VERSION) (TAYLOR'S VERSION)" | Taylor Swift | 143
                                              35.) "COLD HEART (PNAU REMIX)" | Elton John ft. Dua Lipa | 143

                                              34.) "TEST DRIVE" | Ariana Grande | 143
                                              31.) "RENEGADE" | Big Red Machine ft. Taylor Swift | 146
                                              30.) "COULD CRY JUST THINKIN ABOUT YOU (FULL VERSION)" | Troye Sivan | 148
                                              26.) "WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME" | Kacey Musgraves | 159
                                              18.) "GOOD ONES" | Charli XCX | 170
                                              17.) "BAD HABITS" | Ed Sheeran | 172
                                              16.) "SAVE YOUR TEARS (REMIX)" | The Weeknd ft. Ariana Grande | 176
                                              13.) "34+35" | Ariana Grande | 184 | No. 34 of 2020
                                              12.) "LOVE ME AGAIN" | RAYE | 187
                                              11.) "EASY (REMIX)" | Troye Sivan ft. Kacey Musgraves & Mark Ronson | 191
                                              10.) "IF IT AIN'T ME" | Dua Lipa | 191
                                              06.) "'TIS THE DAMN SEASON" | Taylor Swift | 222
                                              05.) "LONG STORY SHORT" | Taylor Swift | 229
                                              04.) "IVY" | Taylor Swift | 270
                                              03.) "CHANGE YOUR MIND" | RAYE | 286
                                              01.) "WILLOW" | Taylor Swift | 313
                                              Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                              Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                              AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                                              I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                Another solid year! Glad to see my year-end top two songs in your top 30. Interesting that "Willow", with 313 points, would only have finished third in your 2020 year-end list, but it's the pick of the litter this year. Was 2021 a more competitive chart year for you, or a weaker one?
                                                Many thanks for popping in here!

                                                Good catch regarding the point total comparisons. It's interesting: I'd definitely say 2020 was the stronger year for music overall due to SO many album drops from favorite artists (Selena, Halsey, Meghan Trainor, Kesha, Allie X, Charli, Carly Rae, Gaga, Ellie, Tay x2, Mariah, Ava, Ari, Kylie, and more), but the threshold for reaching the Year-End Top 50 was actually higher this year (requiring 122 points to be No. 50 compared to last year's 109).

                                                "Willow" was also hurt a little by the fact that I chart remixes separately, and both the "Dancing Witch Version" and "90's Trend Remix" had strong enough chart runs on their own to each go Gold. If I only had the album version to turn to whenever I was in the mood for the song, it almost certainly would've racked up even more points. I (foolishly) didn't archive the point totals from every prior Year-End Countdown, but from the data I can access easily, "Willow"s 313 is at least higher than the 311 points that landed Kylie's "Stop Me From Falling" at No. 1 for 2018 and the 286 that got Tay's "Lover" to No. 1 for 2019.

                                                Thanks again, Akini!
                                                Last edited by crystalphoenix; Sun January 2, 2022, 22:50.
                                                last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                                  Many thanks for popping in here!

                                                  Good catch regarding the point total comparisons. It's interesting: I'd definitely say 2020 was the stronger year for music overall due to SO many album drops from favorite artists (Selena, Halsey, Meghan Trainor, Kesha, Allie X, Charli, Carly Rae, Gaga, Ellie, Tay x2, Mariah, Ava, Ari, Kylie, and more), but the threshold for reaching the Year-End Top 50 was actually higher this year (requiring 122 points to be No. 50 compared to last year's 109).

                                                  "Willow" was also hurt a little by the fact that I chart remixes separately, and both the "Dancing Witch Version" and "90's Trend Remix" had strong enough chart runs on their own to each go Gold. If I only had the album version to turn to whenever I was in the mood for the song, it almost certainly would've racked up even more points. I (foolishly) didn't archive the point totals from every prior Year-End Countdown, but from the data I can access easily, "Willow"s 313 is at least higher than the 311 points that landed Kylie's "Stop Me From Falling" at No. 1 for 2018 and the 286 that got Tay's "Lover" to No. 1 for 2019.

                                                  Thanks again, Akini!
                                                  Interestingly enough, it felt like 2021 was the better year in music, but when I did a rank-by-rank CY/PY quality comparison, 2020 actually came out on top and I think it boils down to exactly what you pointed out - more established, experienced acts cranking out albums in 2020 than in 2021.

                                                  Noted on the remix versions. I always merge remixes, but I can understand the argument against doing so, too.
                                                  Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #95]
                                                  Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 As It Was [4 weeks]
                                                  AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Harry Styles]

                                                  I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Paulboard Top 30
                                                    Chart Date: 02/11/22

                                                    • Attempting to post this more regularly again (though no promises about how long I'll manage to keep that up) Charli successfully scores the first No. 1 of the Crash era (and her 8th overall). Tove's underwhelming new single put her older material on my mind, and I'm not sure what exactly got me thinking about The Vamps in 2022. Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to give this a look!



                                                    THIS WEEK | LAST WEEK | WEEKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

                                                    01 (03) 04 | "New Shapes" - Charli XCX ft. Christine And The Queens & Caroline Polachek | 1 (1) | [G]
                                                    02 (N-) 01 | "Where Are You Now" - Lost Frequencies ft. Calum Scott | 2 (1)
                                                    03 (01) 03 | "Shinigami Eyes" - Grimes | 1 (1)
                                                    04 (17) 03 | "Message In A Bottle (Taylor's Version) (Fat Max G Remix)" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1)
                                                    05 (13) 04 | "Love It When You Hate Me" - Avril Lavigne ft. blackbear | 2 (1) | [G]
                                                    06 (05) 10 | "Good Ones" - Charli XCX | 2 (1) | [P]
                                                    07 (11) 04 | "I'm Coming" - Tove Lo | 4 | [G]
                                                    08 (R-) 04 | "Sweettalk My Heart" - Tove Lo | 3 | [G]
                                                    09 (R-) 04 | "Can We Dance" - The Vamps | 1 (1) | [P]
                                                    10 (N-) 01 | "Watching You From A Distant Place" - Bob's Burgers Cast | 10
                                                    11 (R-) 09 | "Undo" - Naughty Boy ft. Calum Scott & Shenseea | 1 (2) | [P]
                                                    12 (06) 03 | "Crying On The Inside" - Little Boots | 2 (1)
                                                    13 (R-) 04 | "Wild Heart" - The Vamps | 3 | [G]
                                                    14 (04) 02 | "Beg For You" - Charli XCX ft. Rina Sawayama | 4
                                                    15 (N-) 01 | "New Moon" - | 15
                                                    16 (10) 04 | "Player Of Games" - Grimes | 10
                                                    17 (N-) 01 | "That's The Way Love Goes" - Janet Jackson | 17
                                                    18 (R-) 07 | "Somebody To You" - The Vamps ft. Demi Lovato | 11 | [G]
                                                    19 (R-) 05 | "Oh Cecilia (Breaking My Heart)" - The Vamps | 4 | [G]
                                                    20 (23) 04 | "Sooner Or Later" - Years & Years | 6
                                                    21 (N-) 01 | "Because Of Love" - Janet Jackson | 21
                                                    22 (R-) 05 | "You Want This" - Janet Jackson | 14 | [P]
                                                    23 (07) 08 | "Bikini Porn" - Tove Lo | 7 | [G]
                                                    24 (R-) 15 | "ME!" - Taylor Swift ft. Brendon Urie | 1 (2) | [2xP]
                                                    25 (R-) 10 | "IDORU" - Grimes | 1 (2) | [P]
                                                    26 (20) 04 | "Sweet Talker" - Years & Years ft. Galantis | 7
                                                    27 (R-) 06 | "Lady Wood" - Tove Lo | 9 | [G]
                                                    28 (R-) 08 | "All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor's Version)" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1) | [P]
                                                    29 (19) 03 | "Make It Out Alive" - Years & Years | 9
                                                    30 (22) 03 | "See You Again" - Years & Years | 10

                                                    [GOLD] = 25+ total plays
                                                    [PLAT] = 50+ total plays
                                                    Last edited by crystalphoenix; Fri February 11, 2022, 23:05.
                                                    last.fmPaulboard Top 30

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X